AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-29, 23:05   Link #1
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Gundam Seed... what are they thinking?

Sorry guys, I know that there are a lot of Gundam otaku out there. Hell, I've been watching the series since '78 when it first came out. That said, I need to say that the current incarnation of Gundam Seed and is on CN is rather trite, don't you think?

I've seen every English dubbed series relating to the Gundam genre, and save for the *shudder* SD Gundam series that was on last season this has got to be one of the worst. I mean, even worse than G Gundam (which had some really horrible dialogue and voice acting). At first I thought that the series was coming along all right... some of the voices were poorly cast, but all in all it could have been much worse.

But with tonight's episode I nearly lost my lunch. The dubbing wasn't on track with the audio (didn't they have Wordfit on contract for that kind of thing with this series?), and quite frankly who ever does the voice of Lacus Clyne (Chantal Strand) should be shot and used as fuel. I thought that Minmay was bad when I first heard the VA who did her voice in Robotech (as opposed to the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross), but I nearly had a fit with this.

Where the heck do they find these people to cast?

Sorry guys... needed to get it off my chest.
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 23:29   Link #2
DistortedRealmS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: A realm beyond that which is reality.
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117
Sorry guys, I know that there are a lot of Gundam otaku out there. Hell, I've been watching the series since '78 when it first came out. That said, I need to say that the current incarnation of Gundam Seed and is on CN is rather trite, don't you think?

I've seen every English dubbed series relating to the Gundam genre, and save for the *shudder* SD Gundam series that was on last season this has got to be one of the worst. I mean, even worse than G Gundam (which had some really horrible dialogue and voice acting). At first I thought that the series was coming along all right... some of the voices were poorly cast, but all in all it could have been much worse.

But with tonight's episode I nearly lost my lunch. The dubbing wasn't on track with the audio (didn't they have Wordfit on contract for that kind of thing with this series?), and quite frankly who ever does the voice of Lacus Clyne (Chantal Strand) should be shot and used as fuel. I thought that Minmay was bad when I first heard the VA who did her voice in Robotech (as opposed to the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross), but I nearly had a fit with this.

Where the heck do they find these people to cast?

Sorry guys... needed to get it off my chest.

Well 98% of dubbed anime is usually shit so it doesn't surprise me.
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 23:38   Link #3
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
Well 98% of dubbed anime is usually shit so it doesn't surprise me.
Would anyone mind if I ask that this not be turned into a dub vs. sub argument?

Yoda117, sorry, but I haven't seen the U.S. interpretation of "Gundam Seed". In what way is Lacus Clyne's voice being annoying? Is she shrill, childish, etc.? Could the VA be interpreting her character as being a selfish brat who grows up later when

Spoiler:
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:06   Link #4
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
Could the VA be interpreting her character as being a selfish brat who grows up later when

Spoiler:
EH? Why would anyone in their right mind interpret Lacus as a selfish brat??? I think you're very very confused about the characters of SEED here...
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:12   Link #5
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
Well 98% of dubbed anime is usually shit so it doesn't surprise me.
I don't know if I would go THAT far, but one of the complaints I have made in other threads is the casting process for anime series in the US is that companies like Funmation and other are exempt from being required to use a % of union talent for their projects (this is because Canada and certain states like Texas are exempt). Union talent is usually MUCH more capable at such things compared to the people that they usually get for voiceovers.

Annnnnnnyway... have you ever talked to a VA at an expo before? Save for a handful of people, I have never come across a VA that impressed me. I know at Otakon last year the "professional VAs" were rather disheartened to see a copy of DBZ that was actually done better than what Funmation (the VAs were actually professional actors). It was hillarious to watch
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:14   Link #6
DistortedRealmS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: A realm beyond that which is reality.
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
Would anyone mind if I ask that this not be turned into a dub vs. sub argument?
Well I see what you are saying but seeing as how this persons topic was about his dissapointment with its dubs, its not a place to say keep it clean.
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:15   Link #7
kamij0
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
Would anyone mind if I ask that this not be turned into a dub vs. sub argument?

Yoda117, sorry, but I haven't seen the U.S. interpretation of "Gundam Seed". In what way is Lacus Clyne's voice being annoying? Is she shrill, childish, etc.? Could the VA be interpreting her character as being a selfish brat who grows up later when

Spoiler:
or are you talking abt fllay alistar instead... she is the more selfish brat to me.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:20   Link #8
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Actually it had more to do with my disappointment with the casting used for the VAs in English dubbed anime, not sub vs. dub

As for my problem with this particular character... the voice used when Lacus sings is most definately NOT the same as the one used when she speaks, and quite frankly it just doesn't fit the character at all (kinda like some of the funny commercials of the 80s and early 90s when they would dub a voice that was TOTALLY unexpected for a character, if any of you remember them)
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:41   Link #9
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
EH? Why would anyone in their right mind interpret Lacus as a selfish brat??? I think you're very very confused about the characters of SEED here...
No, no. I was questioning whether or not the VA is interpreting her character differently. The "spoiled child who grows up due to unfortunate circumstances" theme is pretty common in storytelling.

Quote:
As for my problem with this particular character... the voice used when Lacus sings is most definately NOT the same as the one used when she speaks, and quite frankly it just doesn't fit the character at all (kinda like some of the funny commercials of the 80s and early 90s when they would dub a voice that was TOTALLY unexpected for a character, if any of you remember them)
OIC. It's the jarring effect when you hear one voice speaking and another one singing? Not really the VA's fault that she can't carry a tune in a bucket with both hands, is it?

As for the R1 voice actors picked, eh... People had complained earlier about... Umm, what was it? Kira being played like he was a surfer dude? Because of, I'm guessing, his reluctance to join sides and fight in the war.

We - well, I'm extrapolating here for you (excuse please) - know how the series play out, what are the characters' motivations, and etc., so how much is that knowledge affecting people's judgement on the VAs' performances, I wonder?

Is there localization/editing/rewriting involved also for the storyline? Perhaps that's playing a part to the interpretations as well.

Last edited by LynnieS; 2004-05-30 at 00:56.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 00:57   Link #10
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Yeah, I forget the VA that does his voice, but that is the only voice he can properly speak with (met him at AKON I think). He nearly feinted when I asked him about the use of Meisner techniques applied to voiceover characters as oppsed to those of Stalanvinsky.

BTW: not a drama major here... have my degree in IT, but it just goes to show that the industry needs to find some VAs with actual talent

Last edited by Yoda117; 2004-05-30 at 01:18.
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 01:31   Link #11
Quiddity
Emma Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
I don't know if I would go THAT far, but one of the complaints I have made in other threads is the casting process for anime series in the US is that companies like Funmation and other are exempt from being required to use a % of union talent for their projects (this is because Canada and certain states like Texas are exempt). Union talent is usually MUCH more capable at such things compared to the people that they usually get for voiceovers.
Can't speak for Funimation, but everything you hear from Ocean/Westwood is all union. Every voice actor in Gundam Seed, not to mention Gundam Wing, MS Gundam, Char's Counterattack, etc... are all union actors. Its a different story with Ocean's Calgary studio (G Gundam, Zeta Gundam) and the California dubs, but then again usually in the California dubs its the same union actors, just using aliases. (of which David Lucas aka Steve Blum is probably the most well known example)

Gotta love how the flames are coming nonstop for Lacus's voice when she uttered barely a few words in tonight's episode. The singing's one thing (too deep if you ask me although I don't think the singer did a bad job), but make sure you have an appropriate sample size before turning on the faucets full blast. Having two different actors to talk and sing isn't necessarily a bad thing (worked perfectly in Key the Metal Idol), but they better make sure they sound atleast somewhat alike.
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 02:05   Link #12
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity
Gotta love how the flames are coming nonstop for Lacus's voice when she uttered barely a few words in tonight's episode. The singing's one thing (too deep if you ask me although I don't think the singer did a bad job), but make sure you have an appropriate sample size before turning on the faucets full blast. Having two different actors to talk and sing isn't necessarily a bad thing (worked perfectly in Key the Metal Idol), but they better make sure they sound atleast somewhat alike.
Amen, she had one small line at the end of the ep and the song. I wanted to see how well they'd handle the song was the only reason I watched tonight. It wasn't that bad, but definetly didn't sound like the same voice when she said her line later in the ep. Not sure if it's two different people yet though, might have just sounded different. Also, if it is just one person, she's doing the hardest VA role probably in the series just due to the singing. Only VA that bothered me, although even he/it only had one line but it's pretty much his/it's same line throughout the series, was haro.
No real big complaints so far really cept some of the names still bother me. Tonight was the first time I noticed they were calling Fllay "Fillet".
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 02:11   Link #13
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
I agree with that... but what little I heard just didn't impress me, and the voice used while singing was REALLY out of wack for the character IMHO. And quite frankly, a lot of the other casting seems a bit off... as others have remarked.

Yeah, Funimation doesn't use a lot of union talent (the rules in Tx are different than most other states, and of course CAN is a different country...).

Sorry, but this stuff just got me on a rant because the fact is that they keep using the same VAs for the work, and a lot of them aren't that good. I think that a lot of us will agree that if they actually put some effort into the casting process there would be a lot less people complaining about dubbed anime.
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 03:28   Link #14
mikeon
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco
Age: 28
man I turned on the tv just to watch the last 10 minutes of the episode. I have to agree that the singing voice really seemed out of place. It sounded way too old and not that of a "teen idol"
mikeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 05:37   Link #15
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117
Yeah, I forget the VA that does his voice, but that is the only voice he can properly speak with (met him at AKON I think). He nearly feinted when I asked him about the use of Meisner techniques applied to voiceover characters as oppsed to those of Stalanvinsky.

BTW: not a drama major here... have my degree in IT, but it just goes to show that the industry needs to find some VAs with actual talent
Well, how many out-of-work and struggling actors are there? Lots and lots. Some, I'm sure, are good and talented. Others... Eh.

What's the payscale for VAs anyway? You're not going to attract good talent if you don't offer decent salaries, IMHO. You're also going to make the industry mainstream enough that more and more people will actually want to take on roles and not just audition because next month's rent is due.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 05:50   Link #16
FlyByNite
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
I know it was just one line, but Lacus sounded about 6 years old when she spoke that line. The next episode will be the deciding factor though.

But I've already had it up to here with Flay's English Dub voice, she sounds like an 8 year old chipmunk with a speech impetiment.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 10:18   Link #17
Quiddity
Emma Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117
I agree with that... but what little I heard just didn't impress me, and the voice used while singing was REALLY out of wack for the character IMHO. And quite frankly, a lot of the other casting seems a bit off... as others have remarked.

Yeah, Funimation doesn't use a lot of union talent (the rules in Tx are different than most other states, and of course CAN is a different country...).

Sorry, but this stuff just got me on a rant because the fact is that they keep using the same VAs for the work, and a lot of them aren't that good.
Most of the Gundam Seed staff are either VAs Ocean has not used extensively, or new VAs. You can complain about that in many series, but not in Seed.

Quote:
I think that a lot of us will agree that if they actually put some effort into the casting process there would be a lot less people complaining about dubbed anime.
They have been putting a lot of effort into dubs from all aspects, script, casting, acting, editing, etc... Dubs are better now then they've ever been. The problem is too many people are predisposed (even if they don't understand a single word of japanese, and hence can't rate a japanese actor's performance) to love everything about the japanese language track and hate everything about the english track. When one watches a show like Seed in nothing but japanese in their bootleg copies for well over a year, naturally they're completely used to the Japanese actors and have it in their minds that anything else sucks, regardless of how good of an actor does the english voice. Most of the people bashing Seed's english voice acting knew months before hearing a single second of it that they would do nothing but bash it to death. The proof is in this very topic, many people flaming Chantal Strand after hearing 1 line from her.
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 10:50   Link #18
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
it couldn't be worse than the kenshin dub.. could it?
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 11:53   Link #19
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
hearing Lacus sing in the english dub made me cry...it was so BAD!! couldn't they at LEAST find someone who SINGS to play her voice? Or at least left the songs in japanese? the thing airs at 10:30 at night for chrissakes....
btw i don't think Gundam SEED is bad, it's not anything NEW or innovative, but it's still nice
__________________
An anime worth watching is an anime worth buying.
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 16:26   Link #20
Yoda117
Galley Slave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Actually, if Ocean is using new cast, then how come we recognize the voices from other characters in past anime titles? Some are new, many are not.

I have no presdisposition to dub/sub. I've seen some half-decent dubs and I've seen some horrible subs in my day... to be frank, some groups like Negavision do better fandubs than the licensed companies do professional dubs. Less than 25% of the VAs I have talked to had any professional training, and quite frankly if you see the difference between a trained actor and an untrained one, there is usually a world of difference. Why they keep using the same actors (the bad ones, there are some who are quite good) is simply beyond me.

The problem I have is with the casting process and the actors they are choosing. I've heard more complaints about Lacus's singing than anything else (because it just doesn't fit the character). You need to fit the character's voice if you want it to work. I wouldn't use a construction worker to VO a commercial for a kid's game, would I? Probably not... it doesn't fit. Technology allows English dubs to be just as good as the original Japanese, or at least damn close to it. The problem is the casting...
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.