AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2012-05-02, 05:21   Link #681
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Speaking of Durandal, we know that it was a device designed to seal the book of darkness in A's, but we also know that in that series it was created by Graham. With Graham out of the picture, the origins of Durandal will certainly change.

Knowing that, isn't it possible that the intent of Durandal will change as well? I wouldn't mind Durandal being Lindy's personal device myself.
Old 2012-05-02, 05:26   Link #682
Elle_White

I think they'll most likely give it the same purpose it had in the original, only with obviously different origins. The scene seems to come off as Lindy wanting to put a stop to the incident altogether, which makes sense if Durandal has the same function that it did in the original. But it would also be great if it was Lindy's personal device!

Last edited by Elle_White; 2012-05-02 at 05:49.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 05:28   Link #683
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yeah, it's not a strange shift to go from "designed by Graham" to "designed by the TSAB." The Bureau has known about the book for decades after all.
Old 2012-05-02, 05:42   Link #684
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Maybe it's Clyde's?

"Your father's Device. This is the weapon of an Enforcer. Not as brutish or as simplified as your average mage-staff, but a versatile weapon for a more demanding occupation."

...uh oh.

Later...

Why didn't you tell me? You said the Book of Darkness murdered my father.

What I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Waaaaiiiit a sec, if Graham's not part of the story, then who fired the Arc on Clyde's ship?

Last edited by Tiresias; 2012-05-02 at 05:54.
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 06:25   Link #685
Elle_White

LOL

I think it's important that Lindy is talking to Signum specifically in this scene. Signum the leader of the Wolkenritter, and she's also the one that Fate is paired against in battle. And in the scene just before that, Lindy is shown crying over loosing her husband in the previous Book of Darkness case. I'm almost certain this scene is about Lindy talking about using Durandal to end things because she wants to defend her family from an incident that's killed those close to her in the past.

Last edited by Elle_White; 2012-05-02 at 06:44.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 07:36   Link #686
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I thought a movie booklet regarding the 1st movie had been translated, and it listed the mage types. Ah, here is the post I am thinking of:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...01#post2881701

Okay, I mis-remembered a bit. They list Lindy as Backbone attacker and supporter, so I guess she does have some attack potential.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 08:50   Link #687
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto526 View Post
this is true, but because of the time restraints, something needs to go and it will not be Nanoha or Fate, nor can it be the wolkenritter, Hayate, therefore it will be the minor characters of the series. ie. Yuuno and to some extent Arf, along with Arisa and Suzaka, as you only have a little over two hrs to tell the story some sacrifices will need to be made, while it might be nice to have all the characters involved, it is not practical and since this is different telling of the story, they can change what they want and still make a great movie
I think you fail to understand that Yuuno and Arf were major characters in the first season and A's. Without them, the series would've gone to hell in a hand-basket as soon as the Jewel Seeds were around. And for Fate, without Arf? Think about that for a few seconds. :/
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 09:59   Link #688
ditto526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
I think you fail to understand that Yuuno and Arf were major characters in the first season and A's. Without them, the series would've gone to hell in a hand-basket as soon as the Jewel Seeds were around. And for Fate, without Arf? Think about that for a few seconds. :/
i am not forgetting about that, but i am talking about the movies, while i love the Arf character, and she is a major player in the series, i think that her roll in the movie will be reduced, hopefully not as bad as yuuno's, but it will be reduced, you have to many characters to deal with in this movie and therefore something will need to go
i still hope that she will still have a bigger roll. but i think we are getting off track, we are talking about Yuuno, as he is needed to introduce Nanoha to magic and to get her started, is he needed?, if you go by the A's series, he is not there while Nanoha is practicing her magic, as he is with Fate and the gang, so that shows that at that point he really is not needed for that aspect, as for the movie, it looks like Nanoha and Fate will already be together and reunited before the fighting begins and he may or may not need to save her from Vita, as this only an opinion. we will not know until july when it comes out.
by the way thanks for the great discussion it has been a lot of fun.
ditto526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 10:44   Link #689
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Frankly, with how the limited time necessitates several role reductions, I'd rather the movie focuses on those with bigger emotional investment on the Book of Darkness: The Wolkenritter and Reinforce, Hayate, Chrono and Lindy. Yes, that includes reduced screentime for Nanoha and Fate, because unlike the first season A's was never really about them, but eh, who am I kidding? Like that would ever happen...
Old 2012-05-02, 11:34   Link #690
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
For those who keep saying stuff about "limited screen time" (and believe me, I don't really believe that), do keep in mind that if limited screen time applies, why bring stuff up that doesn't apply to the movie itself? (Linker Core explanation, I'm glaring at you )

I usually watch this if I want to watch the 1st movie these days. More brief than the movie, but it does give everyone a decent amount of screen time with how short it is.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 11:56   Link #691
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Frankly, I only partially believe the screentime excuse. Oh sure, I understand that turning a long story into a movie requires making several alterations and cuts, and attempting to cram as much as scene as you can to please the fans risks repeating the mess that was Unlimited Blade Works, but removing three characters who was vital in prolonging the hostility?

Eh, it's more likely that they just want to give flashy characters with flashy powers more screentime as advertisement for their merchandise, and thus those with support powers or non-combat roles (read: they don't sell as good) don't get any.
Old 2012-05-02, 15:14   Link #692
ditto526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Frankly, I only partially believe the screentime excuse. Oh sure, I understand that turning a long story into a movie requires making several alterations and cuts, and attempting to cram as much as scene as you can to please the fans risks repeating the mess that was Unlimited Blade Works, but removing three characters who was vital in prolonging the hostility?

Eh, it's more likely that they just want to give flashy characters with flashy powers more screentime as advertisement for their merchandise, and thus those with support powers or non-combat roles (read: they don't sell as good) don't get any.
but remember that if they were to put out yuuno merchandise, instead of Nanoha & Fate, then more then likely there would be no more movies, you are correct that they are giving the fans what they want, because without them there would be no Movies, because the movies makers not only depend on ticket sales to make a profit, they also get the money from the merchandise sales, and lets not forget that all of this is about MONEY. No Sales No Series
ditto526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 15:31   Link #693
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Unfortunately, Most Japanese companies nowadays are just playing it safe and are not trying as hard for anything new. Heck you just remind me why most things out of DC is Batman and Most things out of the X-Men is Wolverine.
They are neglecting everyone else.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 18:10   Link #694
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto526 View Post
i am not forgetting about that, but i am talking about the movies, while i love the Arf character, and she is a major player in the series, i think that her roll in the movie will be reduced, hopefully not as bad as yuuno's, but it will be reduced, you have to many characters to deal with in this movie and therefore something will need to go
i still hope that she will still have a bigger roll. but i think we are getting off track, we are talking about Yuuno, as he is needed to introduce Nanoha to magic and to get her started, is he needed?, if you go by the A's series, he is not there while Nanoha is practicing her magic, as he is with Fate and the gang, so that shows that at that point he really is not needed for that aspect, as for the movie, it looks like Nanoha and Fate will already be together and reunited before the fighting begins and he may or may not need to save her from Vita, as this only an opinion. we will not know until july when it comes out.
by the way thanks for the great discussion it has been a lot of fun.
Yuuno is needed for far more than that. In the first series, he's the one who breaks the rules and prods Nanoha into saving Fate, teleporting her off the bridge. In A's, he holds off Vita so Nanoha can fire her Starlight Breaker, and would have been able to teleport everyone to safety if Arf had been able to break the barrier. He then shielded everyone in the second fight (along with Arf) against the lightning attack Shamal unleashed from the book. And then, not to mention, it was his search spells and research that dug up information about the book, enabling Nanoha to ultimately free both Hayate and Fate from it.

I think people really underestimate, sometimes, how much of an important role he plays. The same goes for any character. You take one piece out of the puzzle, no matter how minor you think it is, and the whole thing can begin to unravel.

Granted, it's obvious they are rewriting A's, and it will remain to be seen exactly how that plays out. But Yuuno played a big part in the first series and movie, and played a decent part in A's. Stuff that they will have to address somehow, if they plan to really minimize him. I'm already wondering exactly how they plan to handle the first fight with the Wolkenritter, if he won't be fighting. Who will be holding Vita off?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 19:19   Link #695
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Yuuno is needed for far more than that. In the first series, he's the one who breaks the rules and prods Nanoha into saving Fate, teleporting her off the bridge. In A's, he holds off Vita so Nanoha can fire her Starlight Breaker, and would have been able to teleport everyone to safety if Arf had been able to break the barrier. He then shielded everyone in the second fight (along with Arf) against the lightning attack Shamal unleashed from the book. And then, not to mention, it was his search spells and research that dug up information about the book, enabling Nanoha to ultimately free both Hayate and Fate from it.

I think people really underestimate, sometimes, how much of an important role he plays. The same goes for any character. You take one piece out of the puzzle, no matter how minor you think it is, and the whole thing can begin to unravel.

Granted, it's obvious they are rewriting A's, and it will remain to be seen exactly how that plays out. But Yuuno played a big part in the first series and movie, and played a decent part in A's. Stuff that they will have to address somehow, if they plan to really minimize him. I'm already wondering exactly how they plan to handle the first fight with the Wolkenritter, if he won't be fighting. Who will be holding Vita off?
Pretty much all I really wanted to get at, but worded much better than I could've hoped to have done. Nice, Kaijo. ^^
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 19:29   Link #696
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
I'm already wondering exactly how they plan to handle the first fight with the Wolkenritter, if he won't be fighting. Who will be holding Vita off?
Probably Chrono, since if Lindy's taking most of his original role and Durandal along with it, he might as well jump in straight from the beginning and engage the wolkies during the first fight.

Wow I'm getting kind of worried, they've shuffled a lot of things in this movie...
Old 2012-05-02, 19:32   Link #697
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
I'm already wondering exactly how they plan to handle the first fight with the Wolkenritter, if he won't be fighting. Who will be holding Vita off?
Considering that instead of Fate having a Big Damn Heroes moment to Nanoha the trailers showed them meeting before the attack, there are little chances that the fight will go the same way.
Old 2012-05-02, 19:37   Link #698
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Wait, wasn't chrono also there during the first fight, engaging the twin?
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 19:40   Link #699
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhklan View Post
Wait, wasn't chrono also there during the first fight, engaging the twin?
Ugh no, the twins only appears as the enemy during the last fight, when they were dressed as Hentai Kamen. The first fight was during Fate's Big Damn Heroes moment where Nanoha's Linker Core got stolen.

IIRC, Chrono was with Amy and Lindy on Asura at that moment.
Old 2012-05-02, 19:46   Link #700
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

In the first battle, Chrono was on the Arthra and realized what they were dealing with upon seeing the Book of Darkness on one of the monitors. Chrono didn't engage in battle until the second confrontation, first against Vita and Zafira (with military as backup), and then secretly closing in on Shamal when Nanoha and Fate arrived to deal with Vita and Signum.