AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-12-01, 01:32   Link #1
h0130j03

Ordered Chapters on iPad

I was just wondering, I'm currently downloading K-On!! and Chihiro-Subs are using ordered chapters. So my question is, if I convert the mkv files to mp4, will the ordered chapters work? If not, is there any way for me to unorder the files? Could you point me in the right direction?
h0130j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 12:46   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Ordered chapters is a function of Matroska and Haali Media Splitter, neither of which is present on iOS.
Old 2010-12-01, 13:29   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Try installing VLC, assuming it's available in the iPad app store too. It supports chapters just fine it seems (just tested it with gg's Soredemo machi ga mawaru).

However it also crashed with another file, plus my iPhone (3GS) seemed woefully to slow to play the video properly. Of course the iPad (and iPhone 4) do have faster CPUs.

Edit: if however you mean MKVs where the OP and ED are in different files, I'm not sure VLC supports that... probably not.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 19:23   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
When you convert MKVs in Handbrake, it will save the chapters... The problem is, it doesn't hardcode the subtitles unless it supports it with the new version or extract the SRT from the MKV... :/

Update: Use the nightly build of Handbrake... It has SSA support.
Old 2010-12-05, 15:45   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The OP is talking about ordered chapters with linked segments. The [Chihiro] release of K-On!! has the OP and ED segments in separate, higher-bitrate files than the main episode content.

I'm not really sure how you'd go about fusing the OP and ED themes back to the episodes, but more importantly... is it really even worth all the effort? You've undoubtedly seen the OP and ED segments before, why do you need to watch them again? Just take the OP/ED-less videos and revel in the storage space you save on your giant iPod touch!
Old 2010-12-05, 16:10   Link #6
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Ordered chapters is specific to the mkv format, so you'll lose them converting to mp4.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you can add the OP/ED back in simply by converting to mp4 using Xvid4PSP, which conveniently also happens to work well with complex subtitles that screw up many converters (be advised the output is hardsubbed though):
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...64#post2189264

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 23:35   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Ordered chapters is specific to the mkv format, so you'll lose them converting to mp4.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you can add the OP/ED back in simply by converting to mp4 using Xvid4PSP, which conveniently also happens to work well with complex subtitles that screw up many converters (be advised the output is hardsubbed though):
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...64#post2189264
Like I have said earlier, its possible to maintain the chapters while burning in subtitles with the nightly build of Handbrake. It supports the basic features of SSA subs such as custom typeface and subtitle positioning... It just doesn't have the special effects features that doesn't really matter since most of the karaoke is burned in already.

In my experience, the Nightly build of Handbrake worked pretty well on my mobile devices. It also encodes faster compared to Quicktime 7 and supports the styling aspect unlike the encoder in Air Video. The conversion process only takes about 30 mins, simple to use and it's available on the major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

When in doubt... use the latest Nightly of Handbake.

Examples:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-06, 17:24   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yeah, chapters work, but ordered chapters with linked segments (OP/ED segments in separate files while each episode file has the OP/ED cut out, and linked to the OP/ED files) do not work on anything but media players that utilize Haali Media Splitter.
Old 2010-12-11, 01:19   Link #9
TheDarkness

I had problems converting with ordered chapters awhile back. I eventually just gave up and found a different group
TheDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapters, ipad, ordered, support, tech