AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-12, 02:19   Link #221
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Merci! Several of us were wondering about Claude's age - I'd guessed 18, but that's pretty close.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 05:23   Link #222
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

@Thomas
Can you explain how difficult and long to make Genga of such a detailed background in this anime?
And I wonder if this project involving a lot of young/new animator to give them some experience like some studio doing for some works.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:51   Link #223
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRomain View Post
I just confirmed the age of the series main characters with Ishizuka san, the production main assistant.

Yune is 13 years old, not 14 like I mentionned before, sorry.
Claude is 17.

The Blanche daughters, Alice and Camille who will appear for the first time in the next episode are 14 and 17 years old.
How did you manage that? lol

and wtf, 13? I swear, I thought she was around 10..or even less.
Old 2011-07-12, 08:24   Link #224
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

can't resist staring at Yune, she ate the cheese that she kept it and it tastes lethal (show by her reaction of her face), the cheese was already exposed by oxidation..
anyone have a GIF image from two previous episodes..
thanks!

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 08:33   Link #225
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Definitely sharing the same common sentiment here: heartwarming show, without any need to overcommit with fluff etc.

It is actually a very good thing that the plot doesn't make Yune "magically" used to French habits, despite she has a decent french knowledge as the story implies.
Speaking of cultural difference, it is a relief the author/scripters didn't mixed up "bon appétit" with "いただきます" (which no doubt do not require any adaptation in this series): both sentences do not have the same meaning at all, despite used in the same context.
Funnily enough I had the exactly same reaction as Claude when I had breakfast when I traveled with my parents years ago: sharing french habits, I really had hard time to imagine having a hot breakfast so to speak (my first british breakfast was hilarious: I was wondering if it wasn't already noon, seeing eggs with bacon etc). Even now, I'm just fine with toast / "tartine" with jam, instead of a full course of pancakes whatsoever

Anyway, I really liked how they portrayed her curiosity and genuine interest here and there, while showing some childish side with her stubborness.
Claude is also a decent character all around: despite being stuck in a very odd situation, he is still... well "true" to himself and speak his mind. That will surely generate few problems later, but it will be a catalyst for Yune's growth no doubt.

The only nitpicking point I would raise for ep2 however is the noticeable little drop of budget regarding the design consistency. Nothing too major, but hopefully they will not go any lower.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-07-12 at 08:53.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 08:46   Link #226
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

aahhh... I feel warm.... xD

maybe I can learn some French culture and word here... lol

I believe Yune isn't 10 years old but around 12-13 years (judged by her maturity)
and Nao Toyama is the seiyuu??? wtf! I thought it's Fuko's voice but it's actually Kanon's voice, eh...

the story is sweet. Well, a Japanese who came during 19th to Europe as workers won't have a good life like her...
I want to have Yune in my house but looks like it will make me turn to pedophile... xD

I'll continue to watch this....

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 08:50   Link #227
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I thought I was the exception but it seems Kanon doesn't like cheese either,I feel less like an outcast now!

Though cheese for breakfast?That seems pretty hardcore to me lol

Though I was disapointed the anime kept using english words to refer to all the food,why use english and not french?
I know that feel, bro. I often feel like an outcast as well. By the way, I don't like soccer either

I've seen people eat cheese for breaskfast, but it's indeed not as common as the anime makes it out to be. Or perhaps it was more common in the 19th century, I don't know. Everything else was very accurate though: toast, coffe, cafe au lait, ...; Yup, that's what I eat for breakfast when I bother getting one.

I don't get why they used english names instead of french or simply japanese for the food either. Hmm, I see they were actually written in french and japanese in the production pictures Thomas posted on Casuka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I really had hard time to imagine having a hot breakfast so to speak (my first british breakfast was hilarious: I was wondering if it wasn't already noon, seeing eggs with bacon etc). Even now, I'm just fine with toast / "tartine" with jam, instead of a full course of pancakes whatsoever
I honestly don't get how people can eat eggs with bacon in the morning. That just seems... wrong. Funny how much our culture influences us.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:33   Link #228
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Got the first volume of the manga here. Yune turns exactly 13 in the 7th Chapter.

At this point in time, she's still 12.
Old 2011-07-12, 13:37   Link #229
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Big breakfasts are good. Protein in the morning keeps you alert and less hungry all day. Whether it's eggs, toast and bacon; bread, jam and cheese; fish, rice, egg, and seaweed; or rice porridge with scrambled eggs, fermented tofu (dofu ru), and a bit of sauteed veg left over from the night before.

I love the old story about the time when the Ming Dynasty was beginning and foreign ambassadors were coming to China to establish relations with the Imperial court and get given gifts, as was the custom. A guy showed up claiming to be an ambassador from somewhere like Manchuria. In order to test him, they gave him a banquet full of milk products -- milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. He couldn't eat it, so they knew he was a fake -- Chinese pretending to be foreign. And really, when you haven't had them for a while, milk products can smell and taste fairly rancid.

Using English words seemed ridiculous, but I guess it's just a matter of using foreign words the audience might know. I mean, it's all foreign, right? Lol.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 14:54   Link #230
Kirarakim

I'd love to get fresh bread every day for breakfast. This anime is going to make me hungry just from watching.
Old 2011-07-12, 15:37   Link #231
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It's nice to get a feel for the ages here. I was starting to think Claude was even older than he turned out to be. Lot of responsibility thrown onto his shoulders with his father gone and his grandfather apparently unable to really help out too much. Though makes me wonder with their tight financial situation how he was able to afford a trip out to Japan. Though I suppose he could write it off somewhat as a business trip since be brought back souvenirs that he could sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I'd love to get fresh bread every day for breakfast. This anime is going to make me hungry just from watching.
That second episode made me want to stop by a store and get some fresh bread. It looked good .
Old 2011-07-12, 15:42   Link #232
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

There are only an handful of cheeses I like (such as Gouda, Queso Fresco and Brie in moderation) and I do eat those for breakfast if I have it available. Still I can't say I like cheese there are some I can't get through my throat nor can I say I don't like it. Cheese is so varied.

Anyway as for the episode, I really loved it I thought it was better thant he first one (more scenes of Paris helped a lot) but the Yune and Claude interaction is great. I too thought it was weird that they used the English words for the various food.

Looking forward to next week episode, I hope they handle cheek kissing (assuming it was common during the 19th century France) it must be such a weird form of greeting for a 19th century Japanese girl.
Old 2011-07-12, 15:44   Link #233
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

I said it before and I will say it again ... the animation in this show is absolutely GORGEOUS. Amazing work.

And the story is also quite nice. Ep 2 kinda re-emphasized for me the difference between Yune and Claude's outlook, and how Yune's perspective is slowly, slowly changing him.

Yune is absolutely adorable!
Old 2011-07-12, 22:10   Link #234
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Yune is showing off more of her cuteness and eat bread she to cute
Old 2011-07-13, 07:07   Link #235
pampz21
Shipper4Lyf

Im scared of watching this!!!

Spoiler for Might:

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Last edited by pampz21; 2011-07-13 at 13:27.
pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 09:38   Link #236
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I know that feel, bro. I often feel like an outcast as well. By the way, I don't like soccer either

I've seen people eat cheese for breaskfast, but it's indeed not as common as the anime makes it out to be. Or perhaps it was more common in the 19th century, I don't know. Everything else was very accurate though: toast, coffe, cafe au lait, ...; Yup, that's what I eat for breakfast when I bother getting one.

I don't get why they used english names instead of french or simply japanese for the food either. Hmm, I see they were actually written in french and japanese in the production pictures Thomas posted on Casuka.

I honestly don't get how people can eat eggs with bacon in the morning. That just seems... wrong. Funny how much our culture influences us.
I can have both a hot and cold breakfast

I've happily had a few muesli bars for breakfast all the way to chicken and corn soup XD

Also, English is much easier for Japanese to understand, since it's taught at schools and things, I bet it was used for simplicity.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 18:29   Link #237
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

The above scene from the manga will most likely be cutted from the animation due to recent events in Japan.

But I love the attention paid to historical facts to even the smallest details. Notice how Yune's undergarment is just a piece of cloth wrapped around the waist, which is true for the Japanese during that period in time.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:36   Link #238
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hmm, I think I missed something here. Why would this be cut?
Old 2011-07-14, 03:46   Link #239
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

^See this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
The above scene from the manga will most likely be cutted from the animation due to recent events in Japan.
A blessing in disguise, this series doesn't need such as a stupidly cliché moment.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:07   Link #240
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I think it has to do with Bill 156. Corruption of people and all due to exposer of children skin or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Maybe part of the series will be both of them pulling each other more towards the centre. Then Yune can speak her mind a bit more than she does now and Claude will hold back a little bit. Though really no matter what both are good people just pretty different in their approaches to interacting with others.
I agree that this seems what the show is going for. Balancing the two by letting them put each others behavior in retrospect and perspective.

And I do agree that they are deep down good people. But that wont really help Claude become a good businessman when he is acting gruff to his customers, or Yune by allowing others to walk over her. They need to correct their act otherwise they will end up being unhappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Actually, the point about French people not being able to live without cheese is true to this day: I remember being told that while he was participating in an exchange program in British Columbia, my brother (we are not French, but as Swiss we are as if not more obsessed with cheese) and other French exchange students were in such a withdrawal state that they pooled their money in order to share a bit of "real" cheese.

Typical French breakfast, from that time to this day, is coffee and bread, agremented with cheese, butter or margarine, jam and spreads. Lard used to be consumed instead of butter or margarine, but it has become less popular. Coffee is also consumed by children, but it isn't shocking as it seems, given that it come in the form of Café au lait like they had at the end.

Tomatoe is tomate (the final e is silent), onion is oignon or ognon (both pronounced the same way, and almost like in English, except you don't pronounce the final n), mushroom is champignon (...and I don't know how to explain the way it sounds...).

It seems that the rivalry between the Galerie and the Grand Magasin (Department Store) will serve as an underlying plot. Kinda reminds me of Au Bonheur des Dames.
Thanks for the answers

I have to say, I have a hard time imagining anyone going into withdrawal due to lack of good quality cheese, let alone engaging in cheese dealings.

Still, it's pretty surprising for me to learn that eating a hot breakfast seems to be something of an oddity to this day. I mean the responses in this thread are really strange to someone who lived his life eating nothing but hot meals in the morning
Quote:
Well cheese and wine go really well together
So I'm guessing your more of a wine person?

[QUOTE=totoum;3687812]I thought I was the exception but it seems Kanon doesn't like cheese either,I feel less like an outcast now!

Though cheese for breakfast?That seems pretty hardcore to me lol/QUOTE]Ah, repels I see
Quote:
Very enjoyable episode.I probably make the same face as Yune when eating fresh bread.
The bread looks pretty good the moment it comes out from the bakery in the morning, all hot and soft. Reason why I wake up early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I do have to disagree with some of the negativity about Claude. He's awkward in the social graces, but everything I've seen from him so far suggests he's kind-hearted, empathetic and highly principled. He might be inflexible about those principles and blunt about speaking his mind, but I think he's an honorable young man and he's treated Yune very kindly on the whole.
Speaking for myself, I don't disagree with any of that. I do however want to point out it doesn't really matter if he was the kindest, most honorable man in the world if every time he opens his mouth nothing but harsh tones and blunt words are coming out to every person he speaks to, be it family, customer, or friend.

The scene where he asked Yune to not disturb him while he was working is the best example of how awkward he was at trying to explain why he didn't want he around at that time. It wasn't his intention to come out looking like a jerk, but that's how it came out looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Funnily enough I had the exactly same reaction as Claude when I had breakfast when I traveled with my parents years ago: sharing french habits, I really had hard time to imagine having a hot breakfast so to speak (my first british breakfast was hilarious: I was wondering if it wasn't already noon, seeing eggs with bacon etc). Even now, I'm just fine with toast / "tartine" with jam, instead of a full course of pancakes whatsoever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I could ask the opposite I have no idea how can someone start their day on a stomach filled with cold food.

Weird~

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life