AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-03, 20:54   Link #1
Cipher

Analytical Anime

Finally, I think I've found the most accurate definition of the Anime I'm looking for.

Definition:

1. Requires a heavily analytical main character.
2. Must focus on main character's mind as oppose to other characters.
3. Highly detailed
4. Less abstraction, more outright analysis.
5. Preferably analyzing ideas and concepts such as problem solving, current situation, morality, psychology, mathematical calculations, motivations, society, politics and anything else that allows mental sequential exploration.
6. Can have analysis in dialogue with other characters or in the character's own thoughts.
7. As I've said, less ambiguity. Has to be as clear as 1 + 1 = 2.
8. Serious **

Examples:

1. Deathnote.
2. Kaiji
3. Akagi(though poor because I didn't understand mahjong).
4. One Outs

...that's basically it....maybe Code Geass...but that one doesn't have enough of analytical mode.

Any Suggestions?

Last edited by Cipher; 2010-12-04 at 13:35.
Old 2010-12-03, 22:55   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Tatami Galaxy. Watashi spends an enormous amount of time in self-reflection, attempting to comprehend and analyze the motivations and actions of others, trying to plan out his life in specific directions against the opposition of outside forces and society at large, lots of internal monologues, comprehending taboos and fetishes and, above all, "What if?" scenarios.
Old 2010-12-03, 23:59   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Tenma Kenzo, the protagonist of Monster, is one such man. Another might be the Apothecary in Bakeneko/Mononoke. I'll also suggest Mouryou no Hako, though the character you seek doesn't appear until midway through the story. Summer Wars might also fit your request. Problem solving, in this case in the context of an MMORPG, is central to the story.

However your exclusion of ambiguity seems to me a problem when it comes to anime. The shows I most enjoy often place moral ambiguity at the center of the story. This year's House of Five Leaves is an excellent example.

Turning my attention to the heroines, I'd say Balsa in Moribito possesses the qualities you list despite her obvious physical prowess. She routinely devotes her mind to resolving her problems and chooses combat only in the most extreme circumstances. Other possibilities might include Youko from Twelve Kingdoms, Shurrei from Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Clare from Claymore. Though she's not a protagonist, Benika from Kure-nai also might qualify for her mental prowess.
Old 2010-12-04, 02:13   Link #4
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Tenma Kenzo, the protagonist of Monster,
Yeah. forgot to mention this. It's good. I've watched it.

Thanks guys. I'll try the rest.
Old 2010-12-04, 02:26   Link #5
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Summer Wars might also fit your request. Problem solving, in this case in the context of an MMORPG, is central to the story.

Turning my attention to the heroines, I'd say Balsa in Moribito possesses the qualities you list despite her obvious physical prowess. She routinely devotes her mind to resolving her problems and chooses combat only in the most extreme circumstances. Other possibilities might include Youko from Twelve Kingdoms.
I'll second those three. And add maybe Spice and Wolf since Lawarence has a good deal of analyze in economical, and factors behind them. Though it might not seem so right away, it by a few episodes in.
Old 2010-12-04, 03:13   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

hikaru no go?
Old 2010-12-04, 13:29   Link #7
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
hikaru no go?
watched it. It qualifies.
Old 2010-12-04, 13:30   Link #8
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I'll second those three. And add maybe Spice and Wolf since Lawarence has a good deal of analyze in economical, and factors behind them. Though it might not seem so right away, it by a few episodes in.
Watched it. Yep. Kind of qualifies as well. Thanks.
Old 2010-12-04, 13:35   Link #9
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Tatami Galaxy. Watashi spends an enormous amount of time in self-reflection, attempting to comprehend and analyze the motivations and actions of others, trying to plan out his life in specific directions against the opposition of outside forces and society at large, lots of internal monologues, comprehending taboos and fetishes and, above all, "What if?" scenarios.
lol..watched it.... it's too comical. And I'm not sure about the analytical part...also seems too ambiguous.
Old 2010-12-04, 13:37   Link #10
Cipher

Quote:
Tenma Kenzo, the protagonist of Monster, is one such man. Another might be the Apothecary in Bakeneko/Mononoke. I'll also suggest Mouryou no Hako, though the character you seek doesn't appear until midway through the story. Summer Wars might also fit your request. Problem solving, in this case in the context of an MMORPG, is central to the story.

However your exclusion of ambiguity seems to me a problem when it comes to anime. The shows I most enjoy often place moral ambiguity at the center of the story. This year's House of Five Leaves is an excellent example.

Turning my attention to the heroines, I'd say Balsa in Moribito possesses the qualities you list despite her obvious physical prowess. She routinely devotes her mind to resolving her problems and chooses combat only in the most extreme circumstances. Other possibilities might include Youko from Twelve Kingdoms, Shurrei from Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Clare from Claymore. Though she's not a protagonist, Benika from Kure-nai also might qualify for her mental prowess.
You mention several characters. Are they the main characters?
Old 2010-12-04, 17:54   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
You mention several characters. Are they the main characters?
Yes, except for Benika and Kyogokudou in Mouryou no Hako. He's probably the most central character in the story, though he doesn't appear until episode six or so. There's a fairly large cast, many of whom play important roles. It's rather like Baccano! in that regard.

Summer Wars has a main couple; the boy is a computer genius; the girl is no slouch either.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-12-04 at 18:08.
Closed Thread