AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 23:49   Link #221
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2011-05-07, 01:19   Link #222
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yep, well done, all. Minami wasn't the only one who was moved.

My only nitpick: it's nice that Nikai thought it, but is that really the kind of stuff you want to say in an interview?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 01:25   Link #223
ipodi

Agree with Triple R's point about Minami not joining in on the celebration. Seriously, she got you guys to the finals! And you guys just left her there crying alone in the dugout?

Minami is a positive role model for both American and Japanese teenage girls.
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 01:47   Link #224
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think they'd have excluded her if she'd joined them on the field. On the contrary.

But she felt a bit more contemplative than that, is all.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 05:02   Link #225
Haak
Forever Alone...

Just watched the last two episodes. That was awesome. A really emotional Episode 9 and a great finale in Episode 10. I'm honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed the ending since I was actually struggling to watch a whole episode right at the start. I'd like to give it a higher rating but I'd be lying if I didn't say I found the whole first half frustratingly boring. It got better but still...

Overall: 6/10 (Bear in mind that this is score from a guy that understands neither baseball nor management...)
Old 2011-05-07, 05:56   Link #226
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 10:
Old 2011-05-07, 07:51   Link #227
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Spoiler for 10:
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 10:14   Link #228
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
In the end, I am surprised that I have actually grown to be somewhat emotionally attached to the show and Minami. I didn't expect that to happen since I don't watch anime and the only reason I picked this up is because of an article in The Economist. Who knows? Maybe I'll start watching anime again... if I can find a good series, that is.
If you want another emotional show about baseball, you could try Cross Game. At fifty episodes it's a much bigger commitment than Moshidora, but you get a lot more story and character development in return.

I think you might like Bartender, too. It has that same Japanese bittersweet nostalgic sensibility that Moshidora and Cross Game share. It's also a show for adults. The first episode of Bartender won't knock your socks off, but the second episode is, for me, golden.

Why not post a request in the Suggestions forum giving us some ideas? I'm sure we can come up with some other anime you might like.
Old 2011-05-07, 10:26   Link #229
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Dunno, episode 10 didn't do all that much to me. Then again, they were drilling to our heads at the beginning of every episode that this is a story about a highschool girl that got her team to the Koshien, so after all that Yuki stuff I didn't really feel much for this episode. Yuki, and episode 9, really was the climax.

And dammit, no Jirou/Manami in the end. Oh well, at least what I got was MUCH more than I expected, as I expected Mr. Pitcher to be the one scoring the homer, or so to speak. While Jirou/Manami might not have even reached first base yet, from what was shown, I'd say their relationship is at the plate, with the count at 3 balls and no strikes, when I expected that ship to have struck out lol. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 10:45   Link #230
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Moved me to tears. Really.
I like it when I come into something totally unexpecting anything and then turning out to be something amazing. Moshidora is one of those series.

Here's my take on why I like this series so much.
Old 2011-05-07, 15:47   Link #231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So - a safety bunt, eh? Neat little work-around the whole rigid strategy problem...

Spoiler for 10 (End):
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 17:03   Link #232
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Heavy-handed in a way, but I happily let myself be moved to tears, just like with a dorama. It was subtle in not actually showing us everything, and in not taking us into the Koushien tournament, just up to it.

As anime, not great, but wonderful in its unique approach. And in giving us an episode a day. Second-rate anime, second-rate management studies, second-rate melodrama -- and first-rate experience. I hope they got enough of each kind of audience to give them a success.

Hikasa Youko cemented her position in my mind as an excellent seiyuu. She gave the character life and substance, for me.

And I loved the fact that the story illustrated flexibility in practice by departing slightly from their fixed strategy -- while keeping its essence.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 23:12   Link #233
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Already, I must say goodbye to an anime of Spring 2011. I'm a little sad Moshidora is coming to a close, but the ending pulled me through. First, I'm going to give a brief review of the episode, and then level one criticism that's always irked me. Then I'll give my series rating and final impressions.

Spoiler for Episode 10:

Episode 10 Rating: 9/10

One problem I had with Moshidora is we never saw any other baseball teams. What?! But we totally saw other teams play on the same field! No, no, don't take what I said literally. I mean we barely got to see the personalities, strategies, or even management of every other high school baseball team. We had one ace pitcher who knows Hoshide - outside of Hodo high school, he's the only baseball player who's name the viewers learn. Moshidora could have been so more effective if we had seen a clash of two teams, not just one team playing a bunch of faceless people. Surely, the other teams have their own Cinderella stories to tell us. There must be other good coaches sitting in the dugouts of high school baseball teams. Sports are competitions of not just athletic ability, but also of philosophies, ideals, management, and passion. All of which were noticeably left out from the opposing teams.

Moshidora is a creative piece of writing. Combining Drucker's ideas of business management with baseball management gives us this result. I judged Moshidora based on how much I believed Minami's application would actually succeed. Sometimes, the show would wander off course: Yunosuke's withdrawal from the team in episode 3 failed to concern me, and Minami's solution was equally as unmoving. Episode 1 never really materialized any of Drucker's ideas into results, which left me skeptical. Other times, innovative solutions got me quite interested; probably the best example is episode 4, which brought all the inter-school clubs together to cooperate and improve. And episode 9, the tear-jerker gushing sadness to rival Anohana, hit a grand slam in my heart (). For a throwaway anime, Moshidora has great moments.

Overall Rating: 8.3 (Good stuff.)
Lowest Episode Rating: Episode 1 - 7 (Urrrrggghhhh.)
Highest Episode Rating: Episode 9 - 9.5 (Fantastic!)
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 07:25   Link #234
Dop
We can't stop here...

As someone with no interest in baseball (what a shame the Japanese never took to Cricket - then we'd have lots of Cricket-themed anime and that would be great), and no interest in management theory, I came to this series more as a curiosity than anything else.

While some of the plot developments were quite predictable, I was surprised by how much this series drew me in and how moving it was in the end.

In the end, I liked this show far more than I'd expected to, and that makes it my surprise hit of the season.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 23:38   Link #235
FateAnomaly

Great series except i really hate Minami's outburst. Yes she is the architect for the team success but it doesn't mean she has the right to try crush it all.

How far did she run anyway. She must have ran for more than 1hr.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 01:14   Link #236
lilkirby

great series. no wonder it's getting a live. But best of all. the voice playing Miniami was non other then mio ^_^! I just really enjoyed this anime so much. A must watch show for anyone looking for some sort of encouraging story.
lilkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 03:13   Link #237
Laevatein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
As someone with no interest in baseball (what a shame the Japanese never took to Cricket - then we'd have lots of Cricket-themed anime and that would be great), and no interest in management theory, I came to this series more as a curiosity than anything else.
Yeah, I'd love to see a cricket anime someday... hey, I can dream, can't I? Perhaps it could be handled like Eyeshield 21, designed to serve as an introduction to the game as well as entertainment.

Back onto Moshidora, I enjoyed it too, despite not knowing much about baseball.
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 03:32   Link #238
Midrange
Betwixt tweet and woof

Hi guys,

Just a heads up--I haven't seen the series or read the books myself, but thought you folks with Android phones who can read Japanese might be interested to know that there's an app version of the Moshidora book for JPY 800 ($9.98) on Android Market:

https://market.android.com/details?i...mond.moshidora

This is particularly notable because it doesn't appear to be regionlocked, unlike most of what I've seen on the Market lately! (which includes a number of VNs and games. All region-locked, sigh.)

(I'm really tempted but am currently drowning in a sea of Oreimo light novels, and besides I have no familiarity whatsoever with Drucker's Management...)
Midrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 06:19   Link #239
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Well, the whole conclusion was kinda clichéd. After Yuki's death (which I predicted quite early on, but still hit me like a ton of bricks when it came), I knew the team would ultimately rely on Minami to push them to the finals and that she would feel unworthy of doing so, despite the enormous amount of effort she put into it to get this far.

Still, I highly enjoyed this show, even though I care nothing about baseball. Youko Hikasa has improved a lot as seiyuu since her breakthrough in K-ON! two years ago, and I think she did a fantastic job here. Heck, I also like dhow Kana Hanezawa didn't play the shy, soft-spoken girl for once, but a more normal girl.

It's quite obvious this mostly served as Product Placement for Drucker's book, but how it was implemented in the story is nothing undeserving of praise and goes to show you how you can apply management to anything, not just your regular businesses, though I do think one needs to be a bit imaginative for it, else it won't work.

Music was quite good, didn't really notice anything off about that.

The only thing I could have done without was the intro about the book that started each and every episode. Felt too much like a commercial for the book to me (and like I said, that was probably intentional). However, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of this show, so this is a minor complaint.

So yeah, 9/10 easily. Any major shortcoming concerning animation, music and such were easily compensated by the high emotional involvement. For someone like me, who isn't really interested in sports, to get this involved with a sports show is saying a lot.
Old 2011-05-09, 16:35   Link #240
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Someone actually complained to me... whoever you are, I don't believe I'm bashing Moshidora for running on such a short time frame. I just think showing the personalities of the opposing teams would have made for a more interesting story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Any major shortcoming concerning animation, music and such were easily compensated by the high emotional involvement. For someone like me, who isn't really interested in sports, to get this involved with a sports show is saying a lot.
I too wanted Minami to succeed in breeding the underdogs into ferocious beasts... err, I mean managing a failing baseball team into a successful one. Getting the viewers to genuinely believe in radically innovative ideas is a difficult task.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, production i.g.