AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-07-05, 13:03   Link #1641
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Not necessarily. It could just mean its a superior/leader model to the others. It just means that its a higher ranking/power Gafran. It does not confirmed that it needs to be piloted by someone (even though I think its likely piloted).

If the Gafran themselves are sentient, then they could be the one holding the ranks, as opposed to a pilot that may controls them.
Old 2011-07-05, 14:07   Link #1642
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I'd like to see if some of the Gafran aren't piloted by anyone (not all of them, just some) just so we could re-explore that concept.
Old 2011-07-05, 15:35   Link #1643
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

How about being centrally piloted by some powerful quantum computer?
Old 2011-07-05, 16:01   Link #1644
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

With control being given to an emotionally unstable crazy women? Sure why not
Old 2011-07-05, 16:54   Link #1645
Araxiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
I like watching gundam for the sake of watching GUNDAMS! AS IN THOSE COOL MOBILE SUITS AND ARMOR WRECKING HAVOC AND EVERYTHING ELSE.
Quote:
Which makes you the same as the otherside...So you like watching Gundams for action, to heck with the character designs, political intrigue, and plausible grittiness...Got it...
This makes me sad. Who's to say there's anything wrong with enjoying a bit of action? If we could all agree on one thing, surely it could be that giant robots are awesome.
Old 2011-07-05, 17:21   Link #1646
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Guys come on. We all enjoy watching Gundam; it shouldn't matter how or why we watch it...
Old 2011-07-05, 21:20   Link #1647
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Guys come on. We all enjoy watching Gundam; it shouldn't matter how or why we watch it...
Well said..
Old 2011-07-05, 21:56   Link #1648
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
This makes me sad. Who's to say there's anything wrong with enjoying a bit of action? If we could all agree on one thing, surely it could be that giant robots are awesome.
You miss my point...Beating your chest to chastise the otherside is no different than what they are doing...I'd gather to say we all watch Gundam for action, but once you pull off that layer are you gonna examine what's next? Why can't a person come on a website, in a thread about a new Gundam show, and talk about their disgust or dissension (coupled with the reasoning however slight) of why? Why should the personal subjectivity of a mod stop the chain of discussion in said thread if multiple people are still participating unfettered?

Quote:
I like watching gundam for the sake of watching GUNDAMS! AS IN THOSE COOL MOBILE SUITS AND ARMOR WRECKING HAVOC AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

How is that much different from:

Quote:
I don't like watching Gundam shows with protagonist that look like they wield pokeballs? As in, cartooney looking characters?
I just think sometimes as an anime community, we so wanna keep the boat from rocking that we forget that the opposing opinion isn't always the lowest common denominator, and as a mode of discussion, the harsh or even playful criticism of something doesn't have to be the greatest common denominator...A full page of fun and spirited discussion was wiped out because maybe one person couldn't take the level of discussion...So discussion, on an anime internet message board, is negated for lack of discussion...That make sense?

And I know you didn't sign up for my long rant like display...But that's where I was going with the "otherside"...Someone serving some troll like unintelligible hate for Gundam Ace, is pretty much just the polar opposite of someone doing the same with optimism...Now there's a line certainly, but too often that line is just the disagreement of the otherside from having any dissension at all...And $hit like that bothers me, because some of us can pat our bellies and rub our tummies at the same time...Which is to say we can make jokes, have fun with some of the axillary elements of a show, yet still hope for it to be compelling or have the ability to completely change our minds...But I guess to some, deadspace rivals that much better, although I don't see how...
Old 2011-07-05, 21:57   Link #1649
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Not necessarily. It could just mean its a superior/leader model to the others. It just means that its a higher ranking/power Gafran. It does not confirmed that it needs to be piloted by someone (even though I think its likely piloted).

If the Gafran themselves are sentient, then they could be the one holding the ranks, as opposed to a pilot that may controls them.
Would sentient machines even care about rank?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 22:21   Link #1650
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
And I know you didn't sign up for my long rant like display...But that's where I was going with the "otherside"...Someone serving some troll like unintelligible hate for Gundam Ace, is pretty much just the polar opposite of someone doing the same with optimism...Now there's a line certainly, but too often that line is just the disagreement of the otherside from having any dissension at all...And $hit like that bothers me, because some of us can pat our bellies and rub our tummies at the same time...Which is to say we can make jokes, have fun with some of the axillary elements of a show, yet still hope for it to be compelling or have the ability to completely change our minds...But I guess to some, deadspace rivals that much better, although I don't see how...
Gundam AGE. Gundam Ace is a magazine.

Refer to this post - http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...13#post3670813
Old 2011-07-05, 22:28   Link #1651
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

He's calling it Gundam ACE deliberately. Why, I have no fucking clue.
Old 2011-07-05, 22:28   Link #1652
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

@brightman - you never change^^...Forgo the meat for the macaroni..It's a simple dyslexic mistake bruh...
Old 2011-07-06, 00:33   Link #1653
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Not the ones at the top, state of the art productions who get everyone fawning at them and all, but I'm sure the more under privileged ones trying to feed their families and get them to be accepted at a decent factory for tuning would consider ranks as a very important thing.
Old 2011-07-06, 02:09   Link #1654
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
oh wait-wait-wait..... if the Gafran are sentient & don't need a pilot then why are they called Mobile Suits, instead of you know, Mobile Dolls or Mobile Bits?

EDIT: but we have the Gundam Blue Destiny, Superior Gundam with A.L.I.C.E system, & the Devil Gundam, i guess that counts right?
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 02:13   Link #1655
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
oh wait-wait-wait..... if the Gafran are sentient & don't need a pilot then why are they called Mobile Suits, instead of you know, Mobile Dolls or Mobile Bits?
AFAIK, the Gafran being called "mobile suits" is a fan thing, since they're pretty much giant walking robots. But I haven't read any official material saying they're actual mobile suits.
Old 2011-07-06, 06:47   Link #1656
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Not in the way people do but they were made to be more powerful or special than the say non special ones. Kinda like that. They're special because they were made that way from the start. They may even have special roles like giving orders to other Gafran if they are capable of doing that.

Essentially I'm theorizing some sort of extra functional upgrade with them. Like......a possible red Gafran that has three times the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post

EDIT: but we have the Gundam Blue Destiny, Superior Gundam with A.L.I.C.E system, & the Devil Gundam, i guess that counts right?
Well, different series would have different terminologies. Mobile Suit as Gundam franchise term may not necessrily mean it needs to be piloted even though "non piloted mobile suits" have had other names in other series. Basically it probably just means humanoid mobile weapon in it's most basic meaning.

Besides, as others have pointed out, it's not classified as a MS yet as far as I'm aware. They do look like mobile suits as far as the basic term goes.

It would be pretty awesome of the Gafran themselves were....alive. Not artificial computer control alive but actual mechanical living being alive like the Reapers from the Mass Effect series or even the ELS from 00 (which are basically living metal).

Last edited by SonicSP; 2011-07-06 at 07:00.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 19:37   Link #1657
Araxiel

Even if the Gafran are some sort of hive intelligence, like ants maybe, the purple ones could possibly still be 'leader' types?
Sort of like, if they're Tyranids, the purple ones are synapse creatures.

Or maybe they're just Mobile Suits and it's as simple as normal-type/command-type. Could go either way.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:23   Link #1658
brightman
Ancient Member

Subtitled intro press conference...

Quote from Hino (for all you haters), "At a glance, it may seem like the show is aimed at children, but as production progresses we have moved beyond that to a completely different target - "a show children will accept as well", that the staff works together on without disappointing existing Gundam fans."
Old 2011-07-12, 21:36   Link #1659
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

Need....more...GAFRAN!
Old 2011-07-13, 05:01   Link #1660
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Quote from Hino (for all you haters), "At a glance, it may seem like the show is aimed at children, but as production progresses we have moved beyond that to a completely different target - "a show children will accept as well", that the staff works together on without disappointing existing Gundam fans."
Words are just words.. We'll see..