AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-13, 18:04   Link #1661
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Words are just words.. We'll see..
Words are just words, and character design style is just a visual style. Neither are enough to make people judge the show, but unfortunately that's what's been happening.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 18:57   Link #1662
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Words are just words, and character design style is just a visual style. Neither are enough to make people judge the show, but unfortunately that's what's been happening.
visuals in are more than words. So yes, I think one can judge something based on visuals if that is something important to them.

But in this cases, no one is judging the show.. People are just reacting to the premise of this show. Sure, some are really harsh and.. ehemm.. exaggerated (just so they can prove how ol' skool they are), but it's just a reaction to what they have seen. there's nothing wrong with that. no?
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 19:35   Link #1663
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
People are just reacting to the premise of this show.
And we can determine the premise of this show by looking at visuals?

That's the textbook definition of prejudice.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 19:55   Link #1664
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
This is the problem that Sunrise has been having, they have put so much emphasis on visuals that more often than not the story sucks. Gundam Age has something that Code Geass, My-hime, and Gundam Seed lacked and that's an original and ambitious concept that doesn't try to please the fans by being safe.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 21:00   Link #1665
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
This is the problem that Sunrise has been having, they have put so much emphasis on visuals that more often than not the story sucks. Gundam Age has something that Code Geass, My-hime, and Gundam Seed lacked and that's an original and ambitious concept that doesn't try to please the fans by being safe.
Wow...I did not think it was possible for you to say anything positive about...anything.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, just making an observation. As long as I've been here, I just always saw your negative, complaining, hater side.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 21:10   Link #1666
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Wow...I did not think it was possible for you to say anything positive about...anything.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, just making an observation. As long as I've been here, I just always saw your negative, complaining, hater side.
I like tons of things (you want to see me positive see some of my post for FMA here), but I am not going to lie and tell you that I have enjoyed the past few years of Sunrise products when they have been lacking (My-Otome was the last Sunrise product I really enjoyed).

I have simply loved what I have seen from Gundam Age, good music, unique character designs (I am probably one of the few people to love the 60's look of the old man), and an excellent concept. Really looking forward to it.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 04:23   Link #1667
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Words are just words, and character design style is just a visual style. Neither are enough to make people judge the show, but unfortunately that's what's been happening.
That's true.. but it runs both ways, I see no reason to be optimistic about the show either. The only thing we can judge is Level 5's track record in regards to crafting story.... and we've already been down that path.... I don't know what I'm more annoyed at with Level 5 right now, this or hiring the great Yatsumi Matsuno to make shovelware.

And as for Hino's words.. of course he's going to say that.. he's not going to say "We're going to rake in the kids, sell a shitload of video games and we'll be mega rich, HOLD DAT HATERZ".
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 06:51   Link #1668
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I don't know about optimistic but I like what I have seen and heard so far, so I guess the series has been good to me in terms of first impressions. Hoping the follow up would be sweet.

And I guess the lead mech has me drooling over it, I'm a sucker for Ebikawa. Reborns, Astraea and 00 elements in there.
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 07:58   Link #1669
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
And we can determine the premise of this show by looking at visuals?

That's the textbook definition of prejudice.
We have a basic plot outline, information about the settings we have seen the character designs, mecha designs and the overall art design. This is more than enough to set op the premise of this show. I'm not prejudging, I'm reacting to the premise. expressing what your first impression is not the same as prejudging.

But when something associates itself with with art, then the textbook definition of prejudice doesn't apply. It can be judged for how it looks. If someone thinks that the designs are ugly then they have the right to dismiss the whole thing if they want to.

Quote:
It applies in a large/diverse franchise as Gundam.
lol, wut?
__________________

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2011-07-14 at 17:26.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 13:13   Link #1670
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
The latest in Cororo have a purple Gafran as well as a Genoace Custom.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 13:55   Link #1671
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
The latest in Cororo have a purple Gafran as well as a Genoace Custom.
Must.......surpress........excitement......
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 20:20   Link #1672
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
That's true.. but it runs both ways, I see no reason to be optimistic about the show either. The only thing we can judge is Level 5's track record in regards to crafting story.... and we've already been down that path.... I don't know what I'm more annoyed at with Level 5 right now, this or hiring the great Yatsumi Matsuno to make shovelware.
While I am no lover of Level 5's past stories myself (though I admit I haven't completed that many of the games--I generally get bored of them pretty quickly), I have reason to be optimistic - 1) Level 5 got the gig to do this show not for marketing purposes or anything like that, but because Sunrise liked the story so much that they decided to let them do it - I think that's a very good sign; 2) Everything they've said about the story and the thematic elements seems like they are finally ready to take the franchise forward, instead of rehashing old concepts - watch the press conference I linked to in the last page for some of that

So they are saying the right things, but are also showing that they can be original and are willing to take risks, which is something that Sunrise hasn't done for quite some time. That's the reason for my optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
We have a basic plot outline, information about the settings we have seen the character designs, mecha designs and the overall art design. This is more than enough to set op the premise of this show. I'm not prejudging, I'm reacting to the premise. expressing what your first impression is not the same as prejudging.

But when something associates itself with with art, then the textbook definition of prejudice doesn't apply. It can be judged for how it looks. If someone thinks that the designs are ugly then they have the right to dismiss the whole thing if they want to.
Except the only thing that this show is getting certain people to say is LULWUT KIDDY GRAPHICS, DIS SHOW SUCKS AND IS FOR KIDDIES... And JUST because of the character designs.

They aren't taking in any other part of the show that's been shown and digesting it in any rational way. Yes, there's some criticism of the other elements such as mecha design... But its not like the art design, mecha design or the story are pointing at the kiddy route.

Its one thing to say, "I hate the show because the designs suck", but its another when you say "the show must be for kids and not for me because the designs appear that way", but that's what's been happening.

So yes, expressing your first impression by dismissing the show as being targeted at children solely because of character designs IS considered prejudice; its no different from when you meet someone of another race for the first time and dismiss that person with a stereotype that you think that race has.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 21:43   Link #1673
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
The latest in Cororo have a purple Gafran as well as a Genoace Custom.
Cororo? What is that?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 22:43   Link #1674
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Remember the magazine where Gundam Age information first came out? That one.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 22:47   Link #1675
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Remember the magazine where Gundam Age information first came out? That one.
And when does this magazine hit the stands? I really wanna see that custom Genoace
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 10:20   Link #1676
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
From the Official Website:

Main Characters

Dike Gunhail
Vargas Dyson

Earth Federation

Lurgan Drace
Wolf Eniacl

Genoace Custom profile is up too.

They also have some stuff up about the Gafran (Purple) and the Space Battleship Diva.

I'll slap the stuff up on my blog when I get home.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 11:12   Link #1677
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere and nowhere at once
Here's the pics of the Genoace Custom and the Diva from the official site:




The all-white color scheme, green visor and general lines of the Genoace Custom remind me of the RX-0 Unicorn Still, it's beautiful
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 11:35   Link #1678
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
Well, if there is one thing I have absolute faith in with AGE. It's the mechanical designs. We are going to get a lot of nice goodies. Genoace Custom is FTW. Diva looks good too, the trailer didn't really seem to do it justice, must of been the angle. Because it looks much better in lineart form.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 12:16   Link #1679
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Well, if there is one thing I have absolute faith in with AGE. It's the mechanical designs. We are going to get a lot of nice goodies. Genoace Custom is FTW. Diva looks good too, the trailer didn't really seem to do it justice, must of been the angle. Because it looks much better in lineart form.
I agree, I'm loving the mechanics as well. Diva looks good, and the Genoace Custom looks cool. That plain white scheme is giving me a prototype feel...............and prototypes are usually strong in Gundam. Reminds me a bit of the 0 Gundam and Unicorn, but mainly because of the color I guess. I'm betting a character is getting it instead of some faceless grunt. I wonder what the text says?

The new helmet design reminds me of Pantheons(mass produced simple versions of Rockman X) from the Rockman Zero series

Diva is also reminding me a bit about Arios for some reason. I think its the overall shape and the orange and red color.
__________________

Last edited by SonicSP; 2011-07-15 at 12:30.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 13:51   Link #1680
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
The Diva looks like it will transform into something.

Would be funny if it actually combines with the Gundam .
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.