AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-10-27, 23:35   Link #1
Flower
In harmony with the flow

Fall 2015: General Impressions thread - post your opinion and grade

With most series being around the three eps range (either done or incoming) ... let's talk about the current anime season, Fall 2015. ^^

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about One Piece or Naruto fillers from last year, for example).

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities and why.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, Minkofaces, Deens, Ufotables, Sparkles, etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades. Your explanations are far more important then what you actually gave out.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.
Old 2015-10-28, 01:57   Link #2
Akuma Kousaka
Magically Lyrical

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka Send a message via Skype™ to Akuma Kousaka
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Episodes seen: 4
Comments: Incredible Body Odor, this doesn't feel like an Okada show, Biscuit is more man than most male leads today, the manliest delivery service ever

Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation-
Episodes seen: 3
Comments: Autopsy deductions the anime, Shoutarou is not a boy, night at the museum, Sakurako is freaking hawt

Aria the Scarlet Ammo: Another A
Comments: Awesome, yuri, KugiRie needs to play more sempai roles, film noir in color, did someone leave Shaft in charge of editing, poor dumb Akari, you wouldn't believe this is the same IP as the first series but it is

One Punch Man
Comments: wtf, wtf am I watching, action shounen trolling the anime, male pattern baldness, Attack on Cliches, poor dumb everyone, that city rebuilds every week I swear

Is the Order a Rabbit??
Comments: Fuwa fuwa fuwa fuwa fuwa desuka
As we strive to improve
we notice the people around us improving too
which makes us work even harder.
In a way, I guess you could say friends are like rivals

~Eli Ayase
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 08:10   Link #3
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet
Comments: This series is off to a great start, probably one of the front runners for best of season along with Subete ga F, Sakurako definitely scores the mark of best character so far.
Comments- Akuma Kinomoto-style!: Seriously, STOP calling me boy!!!, Why aren't the cops employing her again? Oh wait, because she'd try to take home human remains, A hot, eccentric osteologist ojou-sama: instant win!, This chick should meet BBC!Sherlock Holmes... or for that matter, Grissom from the earlier seasons of CSI.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 02:26   Link #4
Alf

Here are my more priority shows this season:

Noragami ARAGOTO
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
This is a very safe show in the sense that can you always expect the quality to be at least quite high if not always high, and the recent plot is giving it more edge. It may sounds like some long running show, but the darker aspect of the setting makes it more tasty. It don't usually do something very outstanding, but perhaps in later episodes of this season we will see how would BONES choose to handle it.

Utawarerumono Ituwari no Kamen
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
Personally one of the most enjoyable show of the season, even if there are show of better plot pacing. Production value is good and consistent. Background art and music are excellent. Characters are very likable and it feels comfortable and fun to be around them. Plot progression is quite subtle and it feels like SoL with some world building and a little action, but that is not a problem for my enjoyment and it's still going somewhere. Although there are some fan services, but fortunately they more fun than arousing. As a player of the game, I'm more concerned that some of the darker remarks supposed to be in ep2 and 3 are missing in the anime script and worried the same in future events. And some characterizations are changed for media difference is both welcomed and concerning.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
Personally top show of the season for the time being. Production is top notch, plot is solid and seems to be well structured. Characters are also good but when it comes to romance there are moments that it feels like a different genre. While it's following a lot of Gundam traditions, and feels realistic which is the strength of UC Gundams, it's also taking an approach that contrasts UC Gundams that the view is very bottom up. The smell of blood and dirt is the major strength of this series.

Concrete Revolutio: Superhuman Fantasy
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
The strange one and probably dark horse of the season. The art is so strange that not everyone can accept it, but very effective to what it presents. The time jumping storytelling can be confusing, but it also gives a bigger picture of everything. The links to various genre and real history events are starting to make sense and this is very interesting.

One Punch Man
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
Quite an entertaining series. Actions and production are top notch. Comedy is good, but doesn't hit that hard on me. Not as hyped as many people and the formula was starting to wear off, but the twist at the end of ep4 is giving some hope that many more character can be introduced to make things more interesting.

Everything becomes F
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
This is a mystery with characters done right, and seems to be playing a relatively fair game. They put great lenght to show the characters, while using every animation and timing technique to details to keep it from becoming boring. The mystery fit very well to the characters and it seems there are plenty of hints given. However, I wouldn't expect the answer of the mystery to be exceptionally intellegent because of that comment on the number 7 in ep1 is a bit silly. There's also a theme about people who are genius or think themselves as genius, which may not be a pleasent idea.

Lupin III (2015)
Episodes Watched:
Comments:
Haven't watched any previous Lupin so not familar with the old series, but I'm enjoying it more than I have expected. This one is full of romance of the old times, mixing with a little bit of more modern elements with the introduction of new semi-regular character. The atmosphere is captivating and characters are interesting. While the character archetypes may sound old, but just consider it part of the romance of Lupin then everything fits well. It's basically episodic but there are connections between episodes and every episodes are different(up to this point), so it would be interesting to both watching more different episodes and find out what the connections end up with.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 12:03   Link #5
Flower
In harmony with the flow

May as well chime in here with my early impressions.

TL;DR…
Early Fall 2015 impressions
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-10-29, 12:55   Link #6
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Comments: This series is off to a great start, probably one of the front runners for best of season along with Subete ga F, Sakurako definitely scores the mark of best character so far.
Comments- Akuma Kinomoto-style!: Seriously, STOP calling me boy!!!, Why aren't the cops employing her again? Oh wait, because she'd try to take home human remains, A hot, eccentric osteologist ojou-sama: instant win!, This chick should meet BBC!Sherlock Holmes... or for that matter, Grissom from the earlier seasons of CSI.

More Impressions:

Subete Ga F Ni Naru
Episodes Seen: 3
Comments: Another well-done mystery series, this one having more one central narrative rather than an episodic format like Sakurako. Delves into the psychology behind those with a genius-level IQ, their associated issues. I can see this being another contender for best of season, assuming the production company/writing staff don't drop the ball with this one.
Comments- Akuma Kinomoto Style!: Is Nishisono's hair one single object?, How does one bring ice cream on a camping trip?, Closed room mystery on an isolated island... sounds oddly familiar, First rule of computing guys, no computer is unhackable!

Heavy Object
Episodes Seen: 4
Comments: Promising start to the series, a departure from the usual tropes as that the male lead is not an object pilot, but rather a foot soldier and a student studying Object maintenence and engineering respectively who managed to take out a land battleship thought to be invincible to anything but another weapon of its type.
Comments- Akuma Kinomoto Style: You say the supremacy of the Object will never be overturned? The armored knight said the same thing about himself, before he got shot by a musketeer. The early 20th century cavalryman said the same thing, before he was cut to ribbons by machine gun fire, and so did the battleship captain before he was blown out of the water by aerial bombing.... see what I'm getting at here?
Old 2015-11-04, 14:05   Link #7
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Pretty much only following Everything becomes the Sixth Alphabet, Fe hemoglobin Gundam, Single Hit Guy, The Fourth adventures of the Immortal Gentleman Thief the 3rd, Something something unsuccessful heroic samurai something, The Sextuplets, and Underwaterrayromano the sequel.

Hefty Thingy in particular was horrible.
Queens Soul Eater Blade Not was just not my cup of tea.
And Meteorite Satan bored me to tears.
Old 2015-11-08, 10:30   Link #8
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Number in brackets = episodes seen.

Top-tier: GochiUsa S2 (5), Owarimonogatari (3), Noragami S2 (4), Rakudai (4)

Great-tier: Sakurako-san (5), Yuru Yuri S3 (3), Hidan no Aria SS (4), Teekyu S6 (2), Shomin Sample (4), Tantei Team (3)

Good-tier: One-Punch Man (3), Hakone-chan (4), Komori-san (4)

Okay-tier: Taimadou (2)

Dropped: Asterisk War, Somera-chan, JK Meshi!

Might pick up later: Utawarerumono

Some comments:

Rakudai is by far the biggest surprise for me, as I had pinned Asterisk War as the one I would like the most, yet it ended up with probably one of the worst first episodes ever. It's funny how both shows kinda started the same way, yet ended up going in the complete opposite directions than I had expected.

GochiUsa S2 is even more heartwarming and funny as S1. ED is probably one of the strongest I've seen in quite some time (not to mention sugary sweet), and the introduction of Mocha has made the show only better. This will probably end up on top by the end of the season.

Shomin Sample is also bit of a sleeper hit. I had a feeling I'd like it when I read the synopsis for it, but not as much as I currently do.

As with a lot of seriously hyped shows, One-Punch Man proved to be not as godlike as many made it out to be. It looks fantastic and it certainly has its funny moments, but it didn't hook me like other shows did. It does seem to be getting better, though, so it might end up higher by the time the show is over.
Old 2015-11-14, 21:59   Link #9
Marcus H.
Appreciates Kyuuto Gaarus

Name of Series: Owarimonogatari
Episodes Watched: 6
Rating: 9/10
Comments: Another stellar anime based on the Monogatari series, what's not to expect? The story of Sodachi Oikura adds a lot about Koyomi's overall background, and while the case of Sodachi's unstable family life was resolved in a subdued manner as in Mayoi Jiangshi, it is still an awesome watch thanks to the voice talent by Marina Inoue, who voiced Sodachi.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Hidan no Aria AA
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: 7/10, in danger of plummeting
Comments: I had dropped Hidan no Aria long ago, and AA hopes to deliver a story that's different from the out-of-whack original. However, I've heard not so good reactions to the episodes broadcast so far, so I'm not sure if Doga Kobo can keep up with the action aspects of the show.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Cautiously approaching

Name of Series: K: Return of Kings
Rating: 8/10
Comments: After watching the Missing Kings movie, much of my interest of K was rekindled, and I admit that there's a level of positive hype as I approach Return of Kings. I hope GoHands keeps its decent handling of the story as well as the fight scenes. (Oh, and please tone down on shoving Seri-chan's glorious ass on the screen too much.)

Name of Series: Heavy Object
Rating: 7
Comments: I'm totally ambivalent about this show. It is still Kamachi at the pen, but his writing style doesn't translate well to a show that's enjoyable. To be fair, the original LN isn't as good as Index either. Maybe J.C. Staff doesn't like HO the same way they like Index? No idea. All it matters is that completing this series would be an uphill climb.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Masochistically keeping

Name of Series: Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst
Episodes Watched: 0
Rating: On hold
Comments: No point in watching this with the level of censorship that's present even in the AT-X version.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): On hold until uncensored versions are released

Name of Series: Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: 9 previously, maybe 8 now
Comments: Bad idea to delay this show. My Gosick hype is now as cold as unattended embers, and I should watch more, else this would end up even more delayed as more days pass by. Looks like this is more like Dantalian no Shoka for being completely bland to the point that each episode is not that interesting to watch out for.

Name of Series: Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Rating: 8
Comments: It has been a decent watch. Ikki and Stella are a cute couple and the detractors have been silenced by countering many tropes to be expected of this show.

Name of Series: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Rating: 8
Comments: Unlike Rakudai Kishi, Asterisk is an honest-to-goodness typical school fantasy LN, but at least the characters remain at least interesting to look at. That alone is a vast improvement from okiura's original designs.

The season has been quite lackluster. Just look at my progress.
It's really that bad if among the only shows I'm most updated to are two LN adaptations and one established franchise.

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 264. Plan to watch: 30.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 03:01   Link #10
Flower
In harmony with the flow

Okay ... final thoughts for the season time.

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-01-07, 14:56   Link #11
Akuma Kousaka
Magically Lyrical

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka Send a message via Skype™ to Akuma Kousaka
Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation-
Comments: Diminishing returns on sob stories, Sakurako is still hawt, The Bones of 20 Faces, osteology class

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Comments: Damn you Okada

Aria the Scarlet Ammo: Another A
Comments: K-On! with butei, Raika is the lolicon in all of us, A Certain Scientific Akari, still more dangerous than Stormtroopers

One Punch Man
Comments: Tornado hhhnnnggg, cherry tapping the anime, Genoside, FUCK YEAH SEA KING, Mumen Rider
As we strive to improve
we notice the people around us improving too
which makes us work even harder.
In a way, I guess you could say friends are like rivals

~Eli Ayase
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 21:48   Link #12
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Comments: Overall, while the aforementioned sob stories perhaps should have been toned down a bit, as stated by Akuma, I still consider this to be one of the better things I saw this season. Sakurako's eccentric nature as the osteologist ojou-sama made for a consistently entertaining character, not to quote of Akuma's comments too much, but she is still hawt! That said, I got the feeling that it seemed like the mystery element was kind of removed from a couple of the middle episodes, given the unpleasant feeling of a filler arc. Still, looking forward to next season- here's hoping this Hanabusa Sakurako kept talking about in the last few episodes proves himself a great villain in the same vein as Johan Liebert (Monster) or Shogo Makishima (Psycho-Pass), or to go beyond anime, James Moriarty of the Sherlock Holmes series (given the setting, would probably have more the feel of the BBC version).
Rating: 7 mounted skeletons out of ten

Heavy Object
Comments: Essentially, Heavy Object is what you get when a sci-fi plotline about an overpowered superweapon is told from the point of view of a pair of perverts, a kuudere, and a dominatrix in a military uniform! But seriously, the battles are epic enough, and the idea of two guys on foot taking down a giant mecha is certainly a new take on the genre. However, in spite of Quenthur's attempts to be Inaho, it still had a sort of turn-your-brain-off-stupid kind of feel to it with a lot of dirty jokes. Overall, it not the greatest show of the season, but still amusing.
Rating: Six Floretia pole dances out of ten.