AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-07-18, 01:13   Link #1
Flower
The Snow White Undine....

Summer 2015: General Impressions Thread - Post your Opinion and Grade...

With most series being around the three eps range (either done or incoming) ... let's talk about the current anime season, Summer 2015. ^^

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about One Piece or Naruto fillers from last year, for example).

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities and why.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, Minkofaces, Deens, Ufotables, Sparkles, etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades. Your explanations are far more important then what you actually gave out.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.
Old 2015-07-18, 22:28   Link #2
Marcus H.
Secretary By My Side ♥

Well yeah, I might as well throw this in first.

For me, the Summer 2015 Season is relatively light compared to the loaded Spring 2015 Season. My lineup composed of only four entries, with two original anime series and two established franchises.

Name of Series: Classroom Crisis
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: 8
Comments: As I said, I was first exposed to Fumiaki Maruto when I encountered Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, and I picked up the show for him alone. Fortunately, that decision hasn't let me down. The story has been set up quite nicely during this first three episodes, and it's surprisingly difficult to take sides because each group of the cast has their good and bad sides. Hopefully this show could handle itself to the end, because this may become my impetus to watching White Album 2, despite not being a fan of hard drama.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Charlotte
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: 9
Comments: PA Works and Key, what else could go wrong? It's another one-cour series and after seeing Maeda struggle with a 12 or 13-episode series in Angel Beats, I'm a bit worried about how he can push through a story with only a cour's worth of time. Currently, the two episodes at least look positive.

Name of Series: Working!!!
Comments: It's always good to have a new season of Working!. The humor never runs dry, but at this point, some of the running gags will eventually turn sour to some. Fortunately, it seems that the story will move forward soon, and I can't wait for that to happen!

Name of Series: Durarara x2 Ten
Comments: Although I consider myself to be a fan of DRRR from Season 1, S2Ten proves to be quite a challenge to sort out. There remains to be that atmospheric feel from S1, and it's gradually making the series a chore to follow closely. Worse is that Shuka's hand seems to be slipping on the animation side of things, which is a lingering worry for any DRRR fan. It's... not quite enough to put this aside, but I hope everything improves soon.
LN Challenge-Autumn: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry.

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 248. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 00:53   Link #3
MarineCorps

Name of Series: Durarara!!x2 Ten
Comments: It's Durarara. Enjoy it, feels like the first season just with more characters.

Name of Series: Gangsta.
Comments: Like this show. I thought I would be annoyed by the deafness of the one character but it fits seamlessly into the show!

Name of Series: Gate
Comments: One of my two favorites this season. Modern military vs Medieval army. It's been a blast thus far, glad it's 2 cour

Name of Series: God Eater
Episodes Watched: 1
Comments: Ugh. To early to say but this might be another drop for me this season. Feels like a game adaption, disliking the CG. We shall see
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep/... Stall

Name of Series: Rokka no Yuusha
Comments: My other favorite this season. This show is awesome, I'm loving the characters and story thus far. it reminds me a bit of Brave 10, Only not crappy....

Name of Series: Aquarion Logos
Comments: Ugh. Ugh. I love the first two shows but this one completely lacked anything that made Aquarion, Aquarion. Poor music, bland characters, poor plot. Enjoyed the op, but that wasn't an aquarion type song.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): dropped

Name of Series: Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Comments: I hate Hajime so very much. So very annoying. Not sure how I managed to watch the first season but I realized quickly I wasn't going to make ti through the second season.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): dropped

Name of Series: Ushio to Tora
Rating:
Comments: Enjoyed the first episode but couldn't get myself through the second episode. Will revist someday, maybe even before the season is over.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): stall
MarineCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 14:58   Link #4
Akuma Kinomoto
Magically Lyrical

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kinomoto
Overlord
Viewed: 3/? episodes
Comments: Final boss, epic, Hyouka starring Lich King Oreki and Demoness Eru, smooth exposition is smooth, how to make OP characters interesting

School-Live!
Comments: wtf, wtf am i watching, The Walking Ghosts, Left 4 Life, The Class of Us, 28 Lunch breaks later, excuse me while I shoot myself

Classroom Crisis
Comments: business ethics the anime, poor dumb Kaito, Nagisa the BAMF, it's been a long time since we had a straight-up Rei clone, take an interest in science

Snow White with the Red Hair
Comments: but where are my dwarves, Shirayuki got game, a day in the life of Zen, red hair rawr

Charlotte
Comments: I want to see Tomori's ass Nao, rice omelette, one episode of Lelouch vi Britannia, following episodes of typical Key leads, animate those backstories please

Castle Town Dandelion
Comments: K-On! with superpowers, elections how do I do them, groceries, cameras, poor dumb Akane

Ranpo Kitan
Viewed: 4/? episodes
Comments: delicious Kobayashi, crap mysteries, I want some of Akechi's drugs, tap dat ass now Hashiba

Chaos Dragon
Viewed: 4/? episodes
Comments: Urobuchi and Nasu play a board game, poor dumb Ibuki, Eika rawr, the world's largest island, Blue Dragon was clearly left out, Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Aquarion Logos
Comments: May'n singing the OP is the only good thing about this show, but Evol's OP is still superior, I am the savior, Attack on Kanji, uneventful merging, screw this noise

God Eater
Viewed: 2/? episodes
Comments: All those sales from the Fate/ series and you couldn't hire a better writer, damn you ufotable, Attack on Digimon rejects, you had one job damn it, fail
we notice the people around us improving too
which makes us work even harder.
In a way, I guess you could say friends are like rivals
Akuma Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 16:03   Link #5
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There
Episodes Watched: 3/x
Comments: Overall, I am enjoying the anime thus far. While I do have some complaints about some of the character designs differing drastically from the manga (Shino being among the more of note), in the end, the battles were awesome, the cast are mostly in character- even if Youji is a bit more otaku than in the manga, and thus far, none of the important scenes have been left out (unlike another series adapted by A1, Madan no Ou to Vanadis).
Comments, Akuma Kinomoto Style (Sorry, couldn't resist): Don't bring a sword to a tank fight, fuck your dragons, I have a rocket launcher, Rory is fucking awesome, When did Shino become a brunette?, apparently fantasy army corpses sublimate in about 8 hours, A1 had better not skip the Apocalypse Now shoutout.

Gakkou Gurashi!
Episodes Watched: 2/x
Comments: I won't deny this is an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse trope, however, it seems to focus way too much to on Yuri's delusions of boring normalcy, to the point it feels like just another generic slice of life with occasional zombies thrown in. Unless this gets more interesting fast, I will probably drop this.
Comments, Akuma Kinomoto style!: Wait, I have more: Resident (of) Highschool, Live Rising, School of Decay, ZombieSchool, Night of the Living at School, Call of Duty: Seifuku Zombies, Highschool of the Dead (oh, wait, I don't even need to change that one), OK, I'll stop.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Probably drop

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2015-07-23 at 16:34.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 21:31   Link #6
Marcus H.
Secretary By My Side ♥

Are OP and ED ratings welcome in this thread?

Right how, I totally dig Gangsta's OP "Renegade", as well as Classroom Crisis' "Cobalt" by TrySail and Charlotte's "Bravely You" by Lia.
LN Challenge-Autumn: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry.

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 248. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 22:54   Link #7
Archon_Wing
Cool Story Bro
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Name of Series: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Rating: B
Comments: The setting is guaranteed to be a fulfilling one and we're in the hands of a masterful director. We also have Saori Hayami leading so it's been entertaining thus far. I hate haircuts and rapists though

Name of Series: Dragon Ball Super
Rating: C+
Comments: Mostly for nostalgia reasons, but go Vegeta! Breaking scouters since 1989! Hopefully they'll finish eating

Name of Series: Charlotte
Rating: C+
Comments: Very hit or miss atm. While the focus is more centralized then its predecessor, it has a much harder time properly controlling humor and other emotions, also Jun Maeda.

Name of Series: Gangsta
Rating: B
Comments: Lol

Name of Series: Durarara
Rating: N/A
Comments: Hmm, first episode was alright, but not that interesting due to that shithead and his bitch. And that other bitch.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Will keep because it's Durarara
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 10:07   Link #8
Flower
The Snow White Undine....

For now here are my initial rankings as well....

TL;DR…
Summer 2015 First Thoughts
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-07-24, 13:29   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bikini Warriors is actually a rather amusing send-up of RPGs. Skimpy clothes that are supposedly armor; rulers who don't give the heroes enough money to do their jobs; heroes who feel no compunction about looting everything in sight from ordinary peoples' home. It wouldn't work as a longer show but is fine at the five-minute length. It does suffer a bit from a surfeit of "boing" though. We get it, they're busty, and have little on. We don't need to be reminded of that in every scene.

I don't have the same level of enthusiasm for Shirayuki as Flower does. I've seen feisty heroines before and the pacing is a bit slow. There are also unexplained occurrences, especially in episode three where
Spoiler:
I'll probably watch a few more episodes to see if it picks up steam.

Miss Monochrome continues on her quest to become an idol in season two. So far we haven't see quite so many off-the-wall events as in the first season; this one focuses more on parodying idol culture. Mono has become a bit more human, too, and even told a couple of jokes. I'm glad that Ru-tan hasn't been voiced again since episode one. I wish I could get my robotic vacuum cleaner to wash my car.

My favorite show so far this summer is Gatchaman Crowds Insight because it turns away from the rather optimistic view of social networking advanced in the first season to show us how things might go awry.
Old 2015-07-25, 04:42   Link #10
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Overlord
Episodes watched: 3
Rating: deserving of the Chuuni Medal of Honor
- The series is finally picking up the pace after a really slow start. Oh, and I like the MC. That's always a good thing.
- Momonga and his servants remind me of Shakugan no Shana. They have that sort of designs...

Gate Jieitai
Episodes watched: 4
Rating: ...well at least I'm happy they're not the Jiitai
- In fantasy worlds, you'd expect great empires to have a bunch of OP magicians alongside their physical ATK oriented armies. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Gosh forbid they show the JSDF losing. Abe would be sad.
- Hopefully the MC will find some better way to communicate with the locals...
- Lelei is cute.
- The OP is nice.

Shimoneta
Rating: four eggs and a banana
- The characters live in a very depressing world, which in turn depresses me...
- Well, but at least some of the jokes are funny.
- I expect SOX to fully change their awful society by the time this series ends.

To-Love-Ru
Episodes watched: <censored>
Rating: <censored>
- The censors are taking away one of the few redeeming qualities of this series...
Status: will wait for the BDs as this is currently unwatchable

Charlotte
Rating: -_-
Spoiler:
- I really like Nao's colorful personality. "TEMEE!"
- The visuals are unimpressive.
Status: will wait for the series to end and then marathon the remaining episodes

Last edited by Honoakari; 2015-07-25 at 05:35.
Honoakari is online now   Reply With Quote