AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-26, 20:38   Link #3021
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
he finally did it...

Old 2012-04-26, 21:05   Link #3022
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You know, I still don't understand how a game company that makes imperfect games (a luxury, not a necessity) with dubious business practices that at worst only causes consumer rage is a worse company to those that not only cheats money and necessary services out of their customers but also tangibly ruins their lives and fortunes.

Only reason the Consumerist poll gets noticed is because it's highly vocal with a good net presence, but given the sample size it's hardly a good indicator whether a business is the worst or not.

Not saying that EA is the paragon of gaming, but people simply blow its "crimes" way out of proportion. If EA screws me over, I lose $60. If a bank screws me over, I lose my entire fortune and then some.
Why should they get a free pass to screw their customers just because they make something we don't need? This is horseshit. I read this everywhere. Why is it only okay to be mad at people who make certain products and screw over their customers?

Bad actors should be chastised accordingly, regardless of the product they make! They continue to get away with this kind of behavior because people dismiss it as being "just a silly game."

Well that "silly game" pays the salaries of hundreds of people and contributed millions to the economy. That's not silly. The game industry is not small potatoes anymore.
Old 2012-04-26, 22:42   Link #3023
Sobonok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
he finally did it...

It's funny that they have an Alien in the last imagination. The choice of colours makes more sense then what happened in the real ending.
Sobonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 03:47   Link #3024
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Why should they get a free pass to screw their customers just because they make something we don't need?
I didn't say "give them a free pass to screw us over". If someone or something does something bad, then credit them that as is due. But EA being the "worst company in America" is pretty much like saying that a pickpocket should get the death penalty while the murderer gets only jail time. It's very disproportionate judgement for the magnitude and severity of what they've done, which is all I'm saying.

Unscrupulous business is a very sad and undesirable fact of life. But I personally believe being discontent over the quality of a video game isn't nearly as rage worthy as practices that can directly send a person's life into financial and social ruin. Speaking as a video game fanatic, I'm saying that some people take their video games way too seriously.

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 04:10   Link #3025
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
I didn't say "give them a free pass to screw us over". If someone or something does something bad, then credit them that as is due. But EA being the "worst company in America" is pretty much like saying that a pickpocket should get the death penalty while the murderer gets only jail time. It's very disproportionate judgement for the magnitude and severity of what they've done, which is all I'm saying.

Unscrupulous business is a very sad and undesirable fact of life. But I personally believe being discontent over the quality of a video game isn't nearly as rage worthy as practices that can directly send a person's life into financial and social ruin. Speaking as a video game fanatic, I'm saying that some people take their video games way too seriously.
It's the Consumerist, a blog on the Internet. Blogs say a lot of things that are not necessarily true. Do I think EA is the "worst company in America?" No, but I'm happy that their stock tanked. They don't get enough shots against them while everybody hates the crap out of Bank of America.

It's not like the Justice Department is branding EA the Worst Company in America and then tossing the whole lot of them in jail.

Yeah, I think that the fan-rage over ME3 is overblown and stupid, but I think it's just the straw that broke the camera's back. It's not just ME3 causing this rage. It's the $60 new releases, it's the endless nickel-and-diming, it's the nasty DRM and the forced use of Origin, the zero-day DLC where they take a chunk of a finished game and hack it off to slyly raise the price to $70...

The rage isn't just over ME3. It's over EA's shitty business practices. Apple gets this same kind of hate and nobody complains except Apple fanboys. So what's the deal? If a company fucks up, people ought to call them on it. EA's getting called on, by people. Not the government. So you can't say this is disproportionate retribution.

Companies piss off their customers all the time and sometimes they go out of business as a result. EA isn't going to go out of business over this, we all know that. But I hope they realize that shitting on their customers isn't going to help their bottom line much.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:47   Link #3026
killer3000ad

An ME3 survey that was linked by Bioware's Jessica Merizan via twitter.
http://www.masseffect-universe.de/comments--id-974.html

I already filled up tonnes of user-made polls on the BSN, but since this one appears to be official, it might be worthwhile to fill up. Click on the blue 'Launch Survey' button and an English option will be available.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:35   Link #3027
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
You know, I still don't understand how a game company that makes imperfect games (a luxury, not a necessity) with dubious business practices that at worst only causes consumer rage is a worse company to those that not only cheats money and necessary services out of their customers but also tangibly ruins their lives and fortunes.

Only reason the Consumerist poll gets noticed is because it's highly vocal with a good net presence, but given the sample size it's hardly a good indicator whether a business is the worst or not.

Not saying that EA is the paragon of gaming, but people simply blow its "crimes" way out of proportion. If EA screws me over, I lose $60. If a bank screws me over, I lose my entire fortune and then some.
Because the entire world votes for EA, while only Americans vote for the bank of America.

EA simply has the bigger voting pool by virtue of being better known.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:40   Link #3028
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

An online movement also has the effect of making things larger than it seems.

If they went and did this survey on-the-ground worldwide, I believe the results would be significantly different.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 06:44   Link #3029
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Because the entire world votes for EA, while only Americans vote for the bank of America.

EA simply has the bigger voting pool by virtue of being better known.
No, that's dumb, only Americans should be voting for a poll on worst company in America.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:47   Link #3030
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Since when has the internet ever listened to "shoulds?"
Old 2012-05-01, 06:48   Link #3031
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Um...never?
Old 2012-05-01, 06:48   Link #3032
Tokkan

Quote:
Doesn't matter, it's still stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:54   Link #3033
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It is. It's also the reality of making an online poll.

EA won because the poll was made online without restricting regions, allowing an angry internet to pour into it and vote EA. Stupid, irrelevant, subjective votes.

But that's what you get when you post a poll on the internet.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:59   Link #3034
Tokkan

EA's really only everybody's new punching bag though, Ubi Soft and Activision are both worse. Not saying EA is any good though, they've got bad business practices.
Old 2012-05-01, 07:31   Link #3035
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

New? EA's been a punching bag long before Ubi and Activision's reputations worsened. I'd call EA a dead horse if it weren't alive and kicking still.

Still, they're in damage control mode which has left us with some nice trinket DLC's that we would have undoubtedly have to pay for had this rage not occurred. I'm still skeptical on the expanded ending DLC though. Expanding on an ending filled with plotholes doesn't eliminate said plotholes.
Old 2012-05-01, 07:34   Link #3036
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
EA's really only everybody's new punching bag though, Ubi Soft and Activision are both worse. Not saying EA is any good though, they've got bad business practices.
It's just a snowball effect coming off the intense anger of ME3's ending. Just a matter of the right events, the right timing and sufficient amounts of internet hate.

It's not that much different compared to the whole Gulf of Mexico/BP thing... except that the scale is on a whole different level.

Quote:
New? EA's been a punching bag long before Ubi and Activision's reputations worsened. I'd call EA a dead horse if it weren't alive and kicking still.
Being an overall disliked company and suddenly becoming the face of all that is wrong with the gaming industry is 2 different things altogether.

Quote:
I'm still skeptical on the expanded ending DLC though. Expanding on an ending filled with plotholes doesn't eliminate said plotholes.
[sarcasm] But, but !!! Artistic Integrity. [/sarcasm]

I don't even care about the plotholes that much ( I didn't care on how Anderson got there first, etc ).

Mass Effect franchise as a whole has its own issues with lore consistency, rule of cools, and 'this shit didn't make sense', just are all franchises that become too big for a few writers to control.

I care more that the whole ending went against themes and character developments that the series had built over 3 games. An option for Shepard to kill himself speaks truer to the series's themes than the options presented to us.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 08:10   Link #3037
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
To lighten the mood i post two funny comics.

Old 2012-05-01, 12:13   Link #3038
Nixl

I have to admit, I am one of those that voted for EA just for giggles.

That being said, that poll was hard with Bank of American and Comcast also on the list. All three deserve a healthy amount of criticism. It just so happened that my agitation over the direction of the Kotor series and Mass Effect 1 and 2 were more recent. Otherwise, I probably would have thought more on it. Honestly, any company that was on that list has some group, American or otherwise, pissed off to some degree.

Have Bioware given any details on what the story DLC will entail? I hope they do not add more lines to the ghost kid.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 13:39   Link #3039
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Its too late now. I have no more interest in replaying ME3. With D3 on the horizon, Dark Souls PC later in the summer, etc...

I hope EA learned yet another lesson after the epic failure of DA2.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 13:59   Link #3040
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Have Bioware given any details on what the story DLC will entail? I hope they do not add more lines to the ghost kid.
Post ending cutscenes, showing what happened to everyone.

Tags
effect, games, mass