AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 12:36   Link #921
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
^More like virtual boobs on EDI's interface.
So he flies the Normandy through EDI's virtual breasts-

*IS BLASTED!!!!!*

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 14:08   Link #922
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
■Character creator will get a lot more hair styles and facial features in ME3. So expect the hairstyles from the femShep competition to make it into the CC.
Woohoo!

Quote:
■They have DECIDED about whether you'll get to see Tali's face or not.
LOL! Bastards...'till the end.

Pretty happy with all the info, good stuff.
Old 2011-08-20, 14:14   Link #923
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Spoiler for Long list:

1) That's disappointing
2) That will be totally awesome, I really want the music when Captain Anderson does his punch/ or headbutts the guard to let Normandy go
3) It's the thing I want the most in ME3
4) Legion is always in my heart
Old 2011-08-20, 17:59   Link #924
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If they do this, they might as well show Tali's too. The question about what Tali looks like is an extension of the question of what quarians look like. If they show other quarians, the mystery is partially gone already, and not showing Tali's would just be trolling.

Though the Tali-fan rage (oh dear, risky wordplay ) would be worth it.
That's the thing. Even though the player never knew what a Quarian's face looks like, Shepard does. And way before romancing Tali.

People growing up in the Mass Effect world would have gone to school and learned some Biology. And that would involve alien races. Quarians themselves have no reason not to supply medical diagrams and such for scientific research, and the Extranet would probably have easily accessed google searches of Quarian faces for the asking.

In short, it is likely everyone in-game already knows what a Quarian looks like except us. The "reveal" wouldn't be shocking to anyone in the game itself, so don't expect a big deal made of it.

Most importantly, we probably have trouble differentiating one Quarian from the next unless they have distinct facial markings. It's the case with all Aliens; the difference between individuals is difficult to see when you don't being to that race.
Old 2011-08-20, 18:10   Link #925
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm not talking about any in-game "shocking" moment. Of course anyone in the universe could just get to the nearest terminal and hit whatever the Mass Effect universe has for wikipedia. I'm not talking about any in-game "shocking" moment (I'm not sure what I said that gave you the idea I was).

The mystery isn't for the people inside the universe, it's for us. The players. We are the ones who've been wondering what quarians look like for the past four years. And I've said it before, but one of the things that make quarians interesting is that one question. That "what do they look like?" It's one of the mysteries that help make the race what it is. Taking away that mystery would be taking away from the race itself.
Old 2011-08-20, 18:28   Link #926
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I'm not talking about any in-game "shocking" moment. Of course anyone in the universe could just get to the nearest terminal and hit whatever the Mass Effect universe has for wikipedia. I'm not talking about any in-game "shocking" moment (I'm not sure what I said that gave you the idea I was).

The mystery isn't for the people inside the universe, it's for us. The players. We are the ones who've been wondering what quarians look like for the past four years. And I've said it before, but one of the things that make quarians interesting is that one question. That "what do they look like?" It's one of the mysteries that help make the race what it is. Taking away that mystery would be taking away from the race itself.
Still, the only genuinely mysterious races are the Reapers and the Protheans. I would prefer if Quarians are known for who they are, and not for not being known.

Within the game, a major point was made that Quarians are treated horribly because not enough people know about them. Granted, some of that came from them attacking the Geth, which was their own fault. But the Quarians are really better off if we know more about them, not less.

If we found out all we need to know about the Quarians, and we don't like what we see, so be it. But that's better than pretending it isn't worth knowing. Tali was all too happy to talk about her people whenever Shepard asked. The Quarians aren't trying to be enigmas by choice.

Since we are going to resolve the Quarian-Geth conflict, it is inevitable we would know more about both races. It's better to know the truth than to be satisfied with mere myths.

On another note, the Hanars might not be happy when they find out who the Collectors were...
Old 2011-08-20, 18:45   Link #927
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You are still talking in-game. I don't really care how well the people in game know the quarians, what matters to me is the mystery to us, the gamers. Like you said, what we know and what the characters in-game know are two different things. Us knowing how quarians look like is not going to resolve anything in the game.

And it's not always better to know the truth than to be satisfied with mere myths. Indeed, the myth itself can and often is a powerful force. Mention the word "midi-chlorians" on any star wars related forum and you will see a shining example of how knowing the truth ruined a good part of a franchise for many.
Old 2011-08-20, 18:57   Link #928
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
You are still talking in-game. I don't really care how well the people in game know the quarians, what matters to me is the mystery to us, the gamers. Like you said, what we know and what the characters in-game know are two different things. Us knowing how quarians look like is not going to resolve anything in the game.

And it's not always better to know the truth than to be satisfied with mere myths. Indeed, the myth itself can and often is a powerful force. Mention the word "midi/chlorians" on any star wars related forum and you will see a shining example of how knowing the truth ruined a good part of a franchise for many.
If we don't know about Quarians, then we can't truly care about them.

Seriously, mysteries can't carry a race. I spent my highschool having people asking me have I ever eaten cats. Or making Karate Kid jokes. There is nothing endearing about deliberate ignorance of a culture. Quarians shouldn't be told they are better off not telling anyone about themselves.

Tali deserve better than that.
Old 2011-08-20, 19:00   Link #929
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

That creates more of a disconnect between the player and Shepard, and is damaging to the way the narrative is presented to us. If Shepard didn't know what a quarian looked like or this was generally some big mystery in the ME universe, it'd be fine, but currently it's rather artificial.

Sure, he's talking in-game, but these things ought to be tightly connected.

EDIT: Got sniped, this isn't a reply to the post directly above.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 19:03   Link #930
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
So what hair colour did everyone choose for FemShep?

I chose Ranga. Haha.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 19:17   Link #931
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I chose the dirty fair coloured version, I didn't like the red head since I thought her hair colour looked too fake compared to a natural red head.

I like how they've upped the customization options and that all the hair styles from the pole will make it in although I'll now be conflicted about changing anything when it comes to importing my ME2 (also from ME1) shepard. D=

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 20:56   Link #932
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

I'd have chosen the black if it let me. For some reason I never have a 'like' button when those polls are on. It's just not there. I'm fine with the red winning, but I do agree it looked really fake. (glad it wasn't a blonde, so sick of blonde - woulda been cool if there was a non-standard colour, like say.. blue.)
Old 2011-08-20, 21:02   Link #933
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This list satisfies me.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 23:35   Link #934
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'd have chosen the black if it let me. For some reason I never have a 'like' button when those polls are on. It's just not there. I'm fine with the red winning, but I do agree it looked really fake. (glad it wasn't a blonde, so sick of blonde - woulda been cool if there was a non-standard colour, like say.. blue.)
Have you subscribed to the main group?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 03:11   Link #935
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If we don't know about Quarians, then we can't truly care about them.
Except we know plenty about the quarians. We know their history, we've seen their culture, it's just their physical appearance beneath the helmet that's a mystery, and a mystery which strengthens the race in my opinion. It's one of those things people can endlessly debate, draw and design about.
Old 2011-08-21, 04:25   Link #936
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Except we know plenty about the quarians. We know their history, we've seen their culture, it's just their physical appearance beneath the helmet that's a mystery, and a mystery which strengthens the race in my opinion. It's one of those things people can endlessly debate, draw and design about.
I am sorry, but I find that cheapens the entire race.

The Quarians would be ruined, in your opinion, if you see their faces? Everything they stand for don't matter?

How is the insistent that they be trapped in a mask in any way strength their race? You think they did it for fun? That it is somehow enjoyable that no one can read their facial expressions?

I suspect you are just refusing to acknowledge the Quarians might not turning out the way you like.

The Quaians are a people, not a genetics puzzle for your enjoyment.

(I just had an image of your Shepard about to have sex with Tali, but then tell her to leave the mask on. I have a feeling Tali wouldn't appreciate it.)
Old 2011-08-21, 05:56   Link #937
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ruined? No. Have something taken away from them? Yes. The mystery behind their masks is part of their charm. Of course, by that same logic you currently find the quarians a 'cheap' race then?

You keep throwing in-game reasons, and I keep being confused why. I'm not talking about if the quarians chose to hide behind masks or not, I'm talking about the choice of the designers to hide them behind masks. And whether I'm 'afraid' of quarians not turning out the way I like has no part in this.

That second-last part is the most hilarious though. The quarians aren't 'people' they're fictional characters. Are you honestly trying to guilt trip me with fictional characters?

As for the last part:

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-08-21 at 06:22.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 07:01   Link #938
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Ruined? No. Have something taken away from them? Yes. The mystery behind their masks is part of their charm. Of course, by that same logic you currently find the quarians a 'cheap' race then?

You keep throwing in-game reasons, and I keep being confused why. I'm not talking about if the quarians chose to hide behind masks or not, I'm talking about the choice of the designers to hide them behind masks. And whether I'm 'afraid' of quarians not turning out the way I like has no part in this.

That second-last part is the most hilarious though. The quarians aren't 'people' they're fictional characters. Are you honestly trying to guilt trip me with fictional characters?
Why, yes, I full on intent to guilt trip you with fictitious characters. Because empathy exists regardless if the characters are real or not. Of course, it sounds like you have none.

And once again, I find it sad that you think Quarians are more charming with their masks on than their masks off. Much like those who insist that I eat cats no matter how many times I tell them otherwise. Because they like to think I eat cats more than they care about what I think.

And if Mass Effect 3 can't make you care about the feelings of Quarians, then they are clearing not "charming" enough to you.
Old 2011-08-21, 08:01   Link #939
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

What does the player not knowing what quarians look like have to do with the feelings of the quarians?

Seriously, you keep trying to blur the lines between the fictional world and reality, as if me wanting to keep the mystery of the quarians for the players somehow cause quarians in the game to be treated badly. It makes no sense. You said it yourself, what we know and what the people in the universe know are two different things. The players not knowing what quarians look like will have no effect on the quarians feelings, because the people in the universe can and will know.

That's why I'm also laughing at your attempt to guilt trip me, because it's hard to feel guilty for something fictional characters won't even know about, much less feel sad for. It's a weak argument to begin with, and a cowardly psychological one on top of that.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-08-21 at 09:16.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 10:46   Link #940
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Funny discussion you have here. But...no matter what we may think, they can't show Quarians' faces. They had their last chance in ME2 where we actually saw more than a single Quarian, we got to explore the species as a whole. Not to mention the fanbase! The fascination with Tali is like a thriving cult, there's too many fans out there that could potentially rage. A LOT.

The whole mystery thing is that whatever you can't see, you imagine. Exactly as you, as an individual, subjectively want it. Only this way can everyone be content. The risk of showing a picture and saying "Hey, look! This is a quarian!" can lead to various ammounts of disappointment. "I thought they looked different, this sucks."

If you don't estabilish a visual interpretation of something at a reasonable time, you can't fix that mistake by doing it later. It doesn't work.

Tags
effect, games, mass