AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-04, 16:51   Link #1481
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah. Unlike, say, game elements that need multiplayer.

Interestingly this is the final nail in the coffin for why I have decided to pass on the game. There will be some bits of game interaction between single and multi-player. I know they say it isn't essential, but I have been burned by that lie far too many times.

Mass Effect was the first TPS game that I tolerated because of the RPG elements. I just managed to survive ME2 despite the RPG elements being ripped out. But now with ME3, it is just a multi-player shooter now. I never liked shooters, and never will. And multiplayer-shooter is just the unholy combination of two things I disagree with. I am sure Bioware would like to convince me that they could accommodate me, but it is plain to anyone that I am no longer their target audience.

And knowing how this goes using historical precidence, Bioware would likely never make a single player game again.
You know, I have to ask, what is your deal? Every-time I see you post in the games thread its to complain about something having multiplayer or having an online component. Why the hate? Don't like playing with others?

And yeah the Mass Effect series has always been a shooter, just one with RPG elements added to it. Trying to say otherwise is just plain false.
__________________
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:24   Link #1482
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you are saying Mass Effect was never an RPG then?

My argument was that ME1 never required me to have a fast trigger finger. Nor do I need to be dead accurate because ammo refills. It is all too easy to revise history and claim ME was never an RPG. But fair enough; no point trying to kick me out when I am already walking on my own.
Mass Effect was an RPG. Mass Effect 2 was an RPG. Mass Effect 3 will be an RPG. You assume a role and you play it, with roleplaying aspects. People complained these were toned down in ME2, so they have brought many of them back in ME3. The difference between Mass Effect and say, The Witcher, is that Mass Effect is a shooter sci-fi RPG. It always has been, it always will be.

Also, no fast trigger finger, or waiting for ammo refills was necessary in ME2. That's what Adept was for.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:38   Link #1483
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You know, I have to ask, what is your deal? Every-time I see you post in the games thread its to complain about something having multiplayer or having an online component. Why the hate? Don't like playing with others?

And yeah the Mass Effect series has always been a shooter, just one with RPG elements added to it. Trying to say otherwise is just plain false.
No more different than game reviewers mocking Single Player games or RPGs. Or in the case of the recent X-com, "no one play stratedgy games anymore".

When I play, I want to enjoy myself. And it is my business what makes my gaming experience fun.

To be frank, if I ever get Griefed online, I will likely try to track down the person and physically murder him. It is best that I only play on my own. I take things personally.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:40   Link #1484
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you are saying Mass Effect was never an RPG then?

My argument was that ME1 never required me to have a fast trigger finger. Nor do I need to be dead accurate because ammo refills. It is all too easy to revise history and claim ME was never an RPG. But fair enough; no point trying to kick me out when I am already walking on my own.
In ME1 if I was an Infiltrator I needed a decent accuracy, now if I was playing as other class then to certain degrees no. So basically depends on your style.

And Mass Effect 3 seems to have more rpg elements than 2, I would think people would be happy about it.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:45   Link #1485
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
In ME1 if I was an Infiltrator I needed a decent accuracy, now if I was playing as other class then to certain degrees no. So basically depends on your style.

And Mass Effect 3 seems to have more rpg elements than 2, I would think people would be happy about it.
I would be, but they threw in Multiplayer.

Yada Yada, multi-player is optional... Like I believe that. It's just PR to try to keep Single Player gamers. In reality all multiplayer games try to force people to play because it needed high concentration of participants to work properly. There would always be something missing.

They said they balanced the shooter and RPG elements in ME2. They lied. I am not going to believe the same PR the second time.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:54   Link #1486
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I would be, but they threw in Multiplayer.

Yada Yada, multi-player is optional... Like I believe that. It's just PR to try to keep Single Player gamers. In reality all multiplayer games try to force people to play because it needed high concentration of participants to work properly. There would always be something missing.

They said they balanced the shooter and RPG elements in ME2. They lied. I am not going to believe the same PR the second time.
Well all I am going to say is I think it would better for you to judge the game after the release or till the demo comes out. Who knows they might actually keep their promises.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:54   Link #1487
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
My argument was that ME1 never required me to have a fast trigger finger. Nor do I need to be dead accurate because ammo refills. It is all too easy to revise history and claim ME was never an RPG. But fair enough; no point trying to kick me out when I am already walking on my own.
If you don't have a fast trigger finger you can play on "story mode" where there's lots of story role playing choices, and easier controls/combat.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:57   Link #1488
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Or just play Adept and never have to fire a gun. Seriously.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 18:50   Link #1489
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Don't know if anyone knows already, but if you play the demo for Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, you got got extra equipment for ME3. One for just starting the demo another for finishing the demo. One is Reckoner Knight Armor and the other is The Chakram Launcher.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:04   Link #1490
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
EA: Mass Effect 3 Demo FAQ

The last question is quite interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
Can you play the Multiplayer demo solo?

You can of course try, but it will be difficult as Multiplayer is designed for more than one person to play.
Which points out to the ability to start a multiplayer session with only 1 player, which is going to be a very good challenge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I would be, but they threw in Multiplayer.

Yada Yada, multi-player is optional... Like I believe that. It's just PR to try to keep Single Player gamers. In reality all multiplayer games try to force people to play because it needed high concentration of participants to work properly. There would always be something missing.
Name me one non-coop game that FORCED you to play multiplayer to the detriment of the singleplayer game. And I mean a game mechanic that purposefully gimps the singleplayer to require you to play the MP.

For all manner of games I've played, not one game has forced me to actually go to the multiplayer to enjoy it. The closest I can come to is Battlefield 3, and that's because the Battlefield franchise has always been MP first.
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-02-04 at 21:15.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:13   Link #1491
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah. Unlike, say, game elements that need multiplayer.
Remind me, what game elements need multiplayer again? Everything in the game can be cleared single-player. Multiplayer just helps the war effort, which means you can get the 'perfect' ending with less side-quests.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 08:46   Link #1492
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
ME3 achievement

potentially spoilerish, but not as damaging as ME2's achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
__________________
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 12:02   Link #1493
biodude711
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
ME3 achievement

potentially spoilerish, but not as damaging as ME2's achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
Cool. This game's shaping up to be very interesting.
__________________
biodude711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 14:24   Link #1494
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Or just play Adept and never have to fire a gun. Seriously.
Did that in ME2. Was forced to use the nuke launcher on the last boss because he was essentially immune to all my skills.

Sort of a sour note to end that game. Maybe explained why I never bothered to replay it.

Find it amusing that there are those who think I have problems. Maybe I am the only person around here who think Griefing is unacceptable. But then, that's maybe why I want to have nothing to do with the multiplayer scene. It is about getting as much fun from other humans as you can. One way is to get joy from the suffering of others. Maybe I am the only humanbeing who think there is something wrong about that.

It did shock me that the Diablo 3 developer openly admit he was a griefer. Maybe that's the socially acceptable thing now.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 14:35   Link #1495
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

Find it amusing that there are those who think I have problems. Maybe I am the only person around here who think Griefing is unacceptable. But then, that's maybe why I want to have nothing to do with the multiplayer scene. It is about getting as much fun from other humans as you can. One way is to get joy from the suffering of others. Maybe I am the only humanbeing who think there is something wrong about that.
When you suggest that you would actually inflict physical harm upon another person because they griefed you out online...then yes, you do have problems.
__________________
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 14:43   Link #1496
biodude711
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Find it amusing that there are those who think I have problems. Maybe I am the only person around here who think Griefing is unacceptable. But then, that's maybe why I want to have nothing to do with the multiplayer scene. It is about getting as much fun from other humans as you can. One way is to get joy from the suffering of others. Maybe I am the only humanbeing who think there is something wrong about that.
Thinking that griefing is unacceptable is one thing. Wanting to kill someone who griefed you is another.
__________________
biodude711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 15:29   Link #1497
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vallen was using a hyperbole, using that one sentence to show their general intolerance of griefing. They weren't being literal. At least I hope not, the only good killing is in videogames.

I hate griefing, I never do it. But that won't stop me from enjoying the multiplayer. Even though I hate multiplayer with a burning passion, I can't miss out on the opportunity to play as races I'd never be able to otherwise. If you don't like the multiplayer then you can skip it entirely. Hell, they even said it was optional and not really necessary in order to beat the game and get the golden ending.

Y so serious guys?
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 15:34   Link #1498
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Remind me, what game elements need multiplayer again? Everything in the game can be cleared single-player. Multiplayer just helps the war effort, which means you can get the 'perfect' ending with less side-quests.
Knowing me I still will do all the side-quests anyway. Because that's what I always do.

Question: Is MP only coop?
Because if it is I don't quit get it what a discussion about griefing has to do with the ME3 MP, does it have any competetive modes? Or do you mean someone killing you with friendly fire all the time? (seems like a fast way to get kicked out of the game to me...)

Well I personaly hope it is only coop.
__________________
Kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 15:49   Link #1499
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Knowing me I still will do all the side-quests anyway. Because that's what I always do.

Question: Is MP only coop?
Because if it is I don't quit get it what a discussion about griefing has to do with the ME3 MP, does it have any competetive modes? Or do you mean someone killing you with friendly fire all the time? (seems like a fast way to get kicked out of the game to me...)

Well I personaly hope it is only coop.
coop only. Yeah in this one you are not really competing against other people all you are doing is playing together with other as a team. Well I suppose I guess there might some d-bag online who might try to screw others.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:50   Link #1500
DingoEnderZOE2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ohayo
Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Oh you know for the longest time I thought Mass Effect 3 would include competitive multiplayer in addition to Cooperative gameplay. But if it appears that there isn't any competitive multiplayer that just makes the multiplayer aspect of the game easier to tolerate especially if it really is just a small part of the game.
__________________
Anime in progress and enjoying: Persona 4 the golden
Animes on Hold:None
Animes completed:I wanna be the strongest in the world,Super Sonico The Animation, Hajime no Ippo:Rising, Wake up girls,Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
effect, games, mass

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.