AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 19:00   Link #2901
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Just got Skyrim myself. Unfortunately, as good as my computer is, it says it can only run it at low settings. Gonna need recommendations for (eventual) upgrades, unless you guys can look at my computer hardware and tell me the game is definitely lying to me.
Post your GPU type plus amount of RAM for it, CPU type and its amount of cores and the clock speed, system RAM, and what type of Windows you use.

Also, look into Skyrim Performance Plus (it was recommended by another user), however, be aware of an issue it can cause. You are supposed to get random dragon attacks in the game (and they are kind of important as a dead dragon gives you a dragon soul, which you need to unlock words for dragon shouts). With that mod, I wasn't getting random dragon attacks. It might be my setup with a particular mod, but certain mods make it so no dragons attack me out of the blue(they seem to be ones that alter the environment, although some mods such as these give me no problems).

For mods, you might wanna go with Skyrim Nexus and the Nexus Mod Manager. Makes things really easy.

Some advice: Move Steam into a different folder than the location is creates by default (you have to do it properly, there is a link for this below). Lol, I forgot why this is good, but I can find out why for you if you'd like. But I just created a destination (C:\Games) and put Steam in there and then that is where your Skyrim folder will go.

Another thing that is good advice: After a clean install of Skyrim, copy the Skyrim folder (the one with the data folder in it along with the Skyrim.exe file and many other things). Copy it and paste it somewhere else on your hard drive. It'll be a clean folder. When you are messing around with mods, you can then delete your Skyrim folder and then copy/paste the back up folder and this will prevent you having to start from scratch. If you run into this situation, turn to this board. People can help you. I have a thread from another forum bookmarked where people detailed for me the steps to take to salvage the situation, so I could provide help with that, too.

Does anyone know why they recommend putting Steam in a different location? I know you can move it, but you have to do it correctly.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

That link tells you how to do it.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:04   Link #2902
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Operating System: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68P-DS3 (Socket 1155)
Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Harddrive: 977GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 ATA Device (SATA)

According to Can You Run It, my computer is well beyond the minimum AND the recommended system requirements for Skyrim and hell, even Crysis 1 (does that game still count as a graphical benchmark?). So the game putting the settings to "Low" on the autodetect seems odd.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:06   Link #2903
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd say crank it up and then back down
Old 2012-07-22, 20:09   Link #2904
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Operating System: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68P-DS3 (Socket 1155)
Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Harddrive: 977GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 ATA Device (SATA)

According to Can You Run It, my computer is well beyond the minimum AND the recommended system requirements for Skyrim and hell, even Crysis 1 (does that game still count as a graphical benchmark?). So the game putting the settings to "Low" on the autodetect seems odd.
Skyrim should definitely be playable on High with those specs! What graphics card drivers are you using (version-wise)? Have you also installed the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack?
Like Vexx said, it's probably best to manually change the settings yourself and see how well it runs.
Old 2012-07-22, 21:04   Link #2905
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Your system is better than mine and I can run Skyrim on high settings with vanilla graphics and at about 30 FPS (the framerate isn't consistent as it sometimes dips to a lower FPS for a second to a couple of seconds at times). I need a performance booster. I had one, but last I checked, they didn't update past Skyrim version 1.4 and Skyrim is now in 1.6.
Old 2012-07-22, 21:04   Link #2906
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not sure what drivers I'm using. Had to downgrade at some point due to some errors and it locking up my backgrounds and disabling my nVidia control panel. And no, haven't installed anything into Skyrim yet, not even the hires pack. Haven't even gotten the NMM yet.
Old 2012-07-22, 21:24   Link #2907
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Not sure what drivers I'm using. Had to downgrade at some point due to some errors and it locking up my backgrounds and disabling my nVidia control panel. And no, haven't installed anything into Skyrim yet, not even the hires pack. Haven't even gotten the NMM yet.
Back up that folder. There is a decent chance you'll need to use it if you play around with mods.
Old 2012-07-22, 22:51   Link #2908
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
My PC should be able to run this game with no problem, yet after a few mods it turns to crap and i get HUUUGE FPS drops. at random
Old 2012-07-22, 22:53   Link #2909
sa547
*Author

^
Because the mods, especially those using bigger textures or finer models, tend to consume large amounts of system resources such as memory, either you have to cut down to a few really useful mods to enable, or reduce the screen resolution and readjust the GPU to performance mode than quality.
Old 2012-07-23, 12:03   Link #2910
DuoRanger
Banned

well here's my own alpha version of Cass thus High Gate ruins with The Shadow tweak + Realistic Lightning
http://imgur.com/a/5JsTi#1
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 13:30   Link #2911
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Re-did the autodetect. It set everything to Ultra High now. Maybe my computer's just confused.
Old 2012-07-23, 17:09   Link #2912
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Re-did the autodetect. It set everything to Ultra High now. Maybe my computer's just confused.
Your computer to you: "Ooh, my bad. I meant 0111011010110100001101, not 01011000110111001110101! Lol!"
Old 2012-07-23, 21:31   Link #2913
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"I'm sorry, Dave, I just don't feel like doing that today..."
Old 2012-07-23, 22:21   Link #2914
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Rising Dragon, if your PC starts singing 'Daisy' in a low tone, you really f***ed up.
Old 2012-07-24, 00:44   Link #2915
Aqua Knight

Is there a good realistic carry weight mod, like having 50 - 100 weight? So you won't carry all the unnecessary stuff?
Old 2012-07-24, 00:49   Link #2916
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Is there a good realistic carry weight mod, like having 50 - 100 weight? So you won't carry all the unnecessary stuff?
I'm not quite sure I understand... if you don't want to carry unnecessary stuff, leave them in storage?

Or, do you mean a mod that increases your carry weight limit? If that's the case, try the Bandolier mod.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16438

If that's not what you meant... well, I tried.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 01:28   Link #2917
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
I use Lore friendly starting stats and encumbrance. It changes a bunch of stuff other than carry weight, though. You pretty much need to use the bandolier mod in the post above to carry much if you're playing a female character that isn't a nord or orsimer. I use the lower bonus bandolier version to keep things somewhat realistic.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 02:19   Link #2918
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Frankly unless you intentionally want to carry every dropped weapon, and if you don't deliberately try to raise your carry limit, the carry weight is actually fairly realistic as it is.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:49   Link #2919
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Frankly unless you intentionally want to carry every dropped weapon, and if you don't deliberately try to raise your carry limit, the carry weight is actually fairly realistic as it is.
not really realistic (since you can carry 1 million of arrow/money easily) but fair enough.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 05:50   Link #2920
Aqua Knight

Yeah, thanks.
I think playing with like 100 weight is more realistic, so you can't take like 5 swords, 10 daggers and 3 bows.
Instead just 1 bow, 1-2 sword, 1-2 daggers etc.
And sometimes you really want to carry more than you want.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, no cheat, no exploit, rpg, skyrim, sneak level