AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-01, 01:40   Link #1301
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Seriously, an Ancient Dragon's breath (which they always start with) of any element is one-shotting my Dunmer on Master. On Expert it takes almost the entire health bar too. Even on Novice it takes about half off each breath attack. Crazy.
Actually, isn't this how it would be SUPPOSED to be? I'm still puzzled how I can simply melee dragons who are breathing at me point-blank and more or less don't care. That's a serious balance/realism issue for me. A dragon breath directly on you SHOULD kill you, it should be part of the task to AVOID those.

Alas.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 01:45   Link #1302
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Can you get around this by changing the update settings? I haven't tried this before, but Steam allows you disable automatic updates (right-click the title of the game and select "Properties").
Nope. As long as you are not in offline mode, as soon as you try to play Skyrim it would force you to download the latest patch automatically. You need Steam offline mode if you want to play the game without patch1.2.



Quote:
That's why I prefer update installers that you can manually apply. It's not just about bugs either - sometimes I dislike balance changes that are introduced from one revision to another (although if it's an online game, I can understand the need for each player to run the latest revision).

However, most players seem to prefer the convenience of instant, automatic updates.
The Console gamers got a slightly different problem. They could have refused the new patch if they wanted to, but most of them set the setting to automatic update. And recently Consoles have made it impossible to undo the patch. So by the time they realise they don't want it, it is already too late.

Quote:
Actually, isn't this how it would be SUPPOSED to be? I'm still puzzled how I can simply melee dragons who are breathing at me point-blank and more or less don't care. That's a serious balance/realism issue for me. A dragon breath directly on you SHOULD kill you, it should be part of the task to AVOID those.
Depends. Do you think it is realistic that a creature made up of fire could be burned to death? Or that an ice elemental can be frozen solid? Players worked real hard to stack magic resistance on their gear, if they don't work anymore then it is just a waste of time.

Can you imagine if instead of breaking resists, the armour system broke instead? That everyone's armour rating becomes zero? That's the kind of chaos we are in.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 02:26   Link #1303
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Btw, please be very cautions with [showracemenu].

Because not only your stamina, health will be divided even out, but your hand is cuffed as well. There will definitely some troubles with using it
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 03:07   Link #1304
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
The Japanese are getting their game in a week's time. Bethesda better get started on patch 1.3 before then.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 03:20   Link #1305
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Latest version of the Skyrim Script Extender pre-release fixes the damage resistance problem. Apparently Patch 1.2 changed how damage reduction from resistance is calculated, but some dumb twat at Bethesda forgot to hook it right.

Yes I know SKSE is not currently worth it because big mods that would need it haven't been made yet due to lack of proper Modding tools.
__________________
Tokkan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 04:33   Link #1306
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Actually, isn't this how it would be SUPPOSED to be? I'm still puzzled how I can simply melee dragons who are breathing at me point-blank and more or less don't care. That's a serious balance/realism issue for me. A dragon breath directly on you SHOULD kill you, it should be part of the task to AVOID those.

Alas.
It's nigh impossible to avoid a breath attack when you encounter a dragon, let alone 2 or 3 at once. They always hit you with at least one before landing (more if you are unlucky) and even Archery users will be hard-pressed to take down an Ancient Dragon before that.

I will admit it's made things a little more "exciting" in so much as I've now got a morbid fear of dragon encounters and magic users. While playing last night I just sat back and let my wife Njada clear any rooms that happened to have magic users in them. Cowardly, yes, but it works
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 06:02   Link #1307
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
It's nigh impossible to avoid a breath attack when you encounter a dragon, let alone 2 or 3 at once. They always hit you with at least one before landing (more if you are unlucky) and even Archery users will be hard-pressed to take down an Ancient Dragon before that.
I agree that it's exceptionally difficult the way it's currently implemented, my comment was directed at how it SHOULD be. I don't know about you, but it just feels "off" if I can just stand in front of the dragon and pretty much _not care_ that he's breathing fire at me which burns down whole cities. Health gradually getting low after the third breath? Gulp a potion and continue hacking!

*shakes head in bewilderment*

It should have rather been implemented so that once the dragon breathes, you must duck/run/get the f*ck out of the way and CAN, if you play skillfully.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 06:27   Link #1308
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I agree that it's exceptionally difficult the way it's currently implemented, my comment was directed at how it SHOULD be. I don't know about you, but it just feels "off" if I can just stand in front of the dragon and pretty much _not care_ that he's breathing fire at me which burns down whole cities. Health gradually getting low after the third breath? Gulp a potion and continue hacking!

*shakes head in bewilderment*

It should have rather been implemented so that once the dragon breathes, you must duck/run/get the f*ck out of the way and CAN, if you play skillfully.
That IS the case in the game. What happens is that we spent a large chunk of our time making suits of magical armour that keeps us alive, and gather blessing from Mara in order to protect ourselves. And after all the hard work, we don't have to duck anymore.

Currently dragon breath is dangerous because patch 1.2 removed all magic defence.

But why stop there? If you like it like that, why not remove all armour defence while you are at it? Then everyone would die from a single dragon bite, just as it should be.

I know I am being mean here, but I can't help it. You are telling me that you want magic to instantly kill me. So I ask you if you would like it if a dragon's normal physical attack should instantly cut you in half, by turning off all your armour.

Is it realistic? Sure. Would you play it? You tell me.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 06:40   Link #1309
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
I'm planning to get a PS3 on my brother's recommendation to pl- worship this game, is it worth it?
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 06:49   Link #1310
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
You ARE aware that that's not at all what I'm saying, right? I don't demand that you're killed by the first dragon bite (because that's what armor is for). I also don't demand that you're insta-killed by any breath (because you should be able to evade, lessening the damage). I want a bit more balance and I want to have fights against dragons to be highlights and real threats. The way they are they feel too easy for me. "Oh cool, money and a dragon soul" shouldn't be the instant reaction when you encounter one.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 06:56   Link #1311
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
You ARE aware that that's not at all what I'm saying, right? I don't demand that you're killed by the first dragon bite (because that's what armor is for). I also don't demand that you're insta-killed by any breath (because you should be able to evade, lessening the damage). I want a bit more balance and I want to have fights against dragons to be highlights and real threats. The way they are they feel too easy for me. "Oh cool, money and a dragon soul" shouldn't be the instant reaction when you encounter one.
The fact is the only reason I can tank dragon breath was because I spent THREE DAYS making the equipment.

You just told me you want the magic resistance turned off.

So I want only the same sacrifice for you; have physical arrnour turned off. If I am not allowed to earn the right to tank dragon breath, then you don't get the right to survive a single hit from a claw swing of a dragon. You can evade right? Then why do you wear armour?

Magic Resistance IS armour. It's just a different type of armour. You keep your armour, I keep my resistance.


***
Keep in mind that I don't know why I am being so hostile towards you. It must be RL stress. None the less my point stands. Dragon breath is as dangerous as it is suppose to be, it is only weakened if we equip ourselves accordingly. To demand that I lose my right to HAVE magic resistance is, IMO, something a Thalmor would come up with.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 07:04   Link #1312
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Forget even armor and Agent of Mara, racial magic resistance is as much Elder Scrolls as daedra. My dunmer getting one-shotted by fire breath on Master is ridiculous XD

I think what Mentar is asking for is a game mechanic, ala reaction command, allowing you to dodge dragon breath attacks. Would be interesting for a while, but you'd tire of it I imagine. Tactics in combat isn't exactly the Elder Scrolls' strong suit. Indeed, combat itself isn't the the Elder Scrolls' strong suit. It's only a secondary concern, if that.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 07:24   Link #1313
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBeat
Forget even armor and Agent of Mara, racial magic resistance is as much Elder Scrolls as daedra. My dunmer getting one-shotted by fire breath on Master is ridiculous XD

I think what Mentar is asking for is a game mechanic, ala reaction command, allowing you to dodge dragon breath attacks. Would be interesting for a while, but you'd tire of it I imagine. Tactics in combat isn't exactly the Elder Scrolls' strong suit. Indeed, combat itself isn't the the Elder Scrolls' strong suit. It's only a secondary concern, if that.
Your post reminded me of this:
"The elder scrolls has always been a hiking simulator where you level up by jumping off and on mountains", Said an anon I saw on the net.

Good thing we no longer have to level up athletics anymore, eh?
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:23   Link #1314
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Your post reminded me of this:
"The elder scrolls has always been a hiking simulator where you level up by jumping off and on mountains", Said an anon I saw on the net.

Good thing we no longer have to level up athletics anymore, eh?
Yeah, they took it off, the only things that actually practical in real life.

Unless you found lock-picking useful as well

PS: i think we used to have "unarmed" as well
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:33   Link #1315
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
I tried to get a few gamer friends interested in TES once. Brought Oblivion GOTY Edition round for a showing. Following some intensive hardcore competitive Halo'ing, I thought the time was right to show off the goods. All seemed well as my friends were pleased to hear the reassuring voice acting of Patrick Stewart appear. Then it happened; "Your Athletics skill has increased".

They still mock me about that to this day.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:38   Link #1316
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where hot girls are fighting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Your post reminded me of this:
"The elder scrolls has always been a hiking simulator where you level up by jumping off and on mountains", Said an anon I saw on the net.

Good thing we no longer have to level up athletics anymore, eh?

Amen man....i remember when in Oblivion i was look like a kangaroo..to level up

Haaa.if someone wants to increase quickly points to forge weapons and armor


Spoiler:
__________________
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:49   Link #1317
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
^Everyone knows that. But you forgot to mention that you can also use this to gain insane amount of gold and level up enchanting while at it. Iron Dagger with Banish Daedra enchanted on it will sell for like 600 gold a piece..
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 09:03   Link #1318
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Absorb Health is another good money-making enchant. You don't have to just wait on Adrianne to restock either, Warmaidens and Eorland Gray-Mane should also be able to provide (in just Whiterun alone).

It's a good way to level Smithing (I did it this way) but better left until after getting 100 in weapon and armor skills/perks. Otherwise you'll be very, very weak.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 09:13   Link #1319
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
I had about 60 in my major skills when getting Enchanting and Smithing to 100. I'm not weak
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 09:14   Link #1320
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Upgrading a dagger costs 1 ingot and I believe gives you more exp per ingot than forging a dagger.
---

I skipped Oblivion because I heard it was worse than Morrowind. But I miss jumping and running and getting brownie points for it. Nothing better than being rewarded for repeating trivial tasks.

And yes, lockpicking is mostly useless. I don't think anyone needs extra gold. The gears are never better than self made. And Novice to Adept is exceptionally easy with no lockpicking perks. I'd only pick a master lock if I had too many lockpicks.
---

I focused on smithing first, then heavy armor, then enchanting and then everything else. The armor is pretty imbalanced if you're a shield build. Of course it still hurts like hell from magic and certain two-handed mobs.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.