AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-19, 00:02   Link #1
devildog23
Summerlurking

Best Anime of the Decade?

Well guys, I have a slight problem. I am slowly running out of anime to watch! When I first started watching anime, I told myself I would never run out things to watch, but to my greatest surprise I am! I find myself constantly hitting reload on some sites, waiting for the link to the newest subbed episode to pop up. Then a great idea came to me...I thought to make a list of the best anime of the decade, because I've HAD to have missed a few good anime from this decade.

So help me compile a list of what you believe deserves to be on this list and release me from my anime drought!
Old 2010-12-19, 00:10   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's a thread that may be of some help:

In the days since that thread, I would add Cross Game, House of Five Leaves and FMA:Brotherhood to the list as truly excellent choices. And older than what was covered in the thread, I'd add Noein and Zettai Shounen, among others.
Old 2010-12-19, 01:58   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

One man's meat is another's poison. My Top 10 have stayed pretty much the same with only a few occasional changes, but your mileage may vary:
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Seirei no Moribito
  • Mushishi
  • Kino no Tabi
  • Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Last Exile
  • Bakemonogatari
  • Toshokan Sensou
  • Inuyasha

There are several other series that didn't quite make it, titles that may strike others as being qualitatively miles ahead some of the shows listed above. I don't disagree, but the above series are simply those that I wouldn't mind watching over and over again for various reasons. Well, it's mainly because they entertain me, or otherwise have personal, sentimental significance.

Those two qualities, above everything else, are what make any particular anime special to me. It's good to have top-quality stories, artwork, music and voice-acting, but if the story didn't strike home in some way, that's all they'd ever be to me: top-quality, yes, but not particularly special.

Titles that pop up in my head right away as the "best of the decade" include, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Hikaru no Go, Kure-nai, Black Lagoon, Spice and Wolf, and many others mentioned in the link Guardian Enzo provided.

Oh yeah, after seeing the many repeated mentions of Cross Game across so many different threads, I've finally got around to watching the series this weekend. (I've always thought of it as a baseball show, and having not the slightest clue about the sport, I've stayed away from it till now.) Considering how I'd just found myself marathoning Episodes 1 to 35 over a day and night (15 more to go), I suppose you can say that I now strongly recommend this show as well.
Old 2010-12-19, 02:06   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Oh yeah, after seeing the many repeated mentions of Cross Game across so many different threads, I've finally got around to watching the series this weekend. (I've always thought of it as a baseball show, and having not the slightest clue about the sport, I've stayed away from it till now.) Considering how I'd just found myself marathoning Episodes 1 to 35 over a day and night (15 more to go), I suppose you can say that I now strongly recommend this show as well.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that! This is a baseball show in the same way Evangelion is a mecha show - there's just so much more there.
Old 2010-12-19, 02:37   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

-- Kashimashi~Girl Meets Girl
-- X TV
-- Diamond Daydreams
-- Saki
-- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (1st season)
-- Best Student Council
2. Time of Eve
1. Maria Watches Over Us (1st season, Spring, Summer OVA's, and 4th season)

These are the anime from this decade that really stuck out for me. Kashimashi is far and away the best yuri I've seen, X TV is crafted by epic proportions, Diamond Daydreams turns normal romance on its head and is an all-around great drama, Saki is the impossible combination-turned-reality of moe' and dramatic board game playing, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is more of a refreshing and well-done blend of a multitude of things, and Best Student Council has the tried and true slice-of-life genre down to an art.

Then comes the other two. Time of Eve is a short but sweet series that can be enjoyed as an "intellectual" anime like Death Note or Monster but stands well on its own without wondering about the morality issues it provides through its simple yet well-done characters. And for Maria Watches Over Us, I can't do it any justice, but it wouldn't hurt to try it out, right?
It feels like nothing's between us, my soul is drawn to your heart with a feeling and hope that I...will show
My love...to you...
with...our FirstKissMy MAL
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai review
Wanna mouse over her?
Old 2010-12-19, 20:27   Link #6
james0246

Best anime of a decade ending in 2010? In no particular order...

Princess Tutu
Noein
Millennium Actress*
Monster
Nodame Cantabile
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (entire series)
Ouran High School Host Club
Kara no Kyoukai (entire series)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

*If I had to chose, this would be the one I'd nominate for "Best of the Decade"
Closed Thread