AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-16, 18:43   Link #201
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
GET OUTTA MY DREAMS AND ON TO MY KEYS!

SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:51   Link #202
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
GET OUTTA MY DREAMS AND ON TO MY KEYS!

Where did you buy that?

I don't see stuff like that where I'm at.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:45   Link #203
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
GET OUTTA MY DREAMS AND ON TO MY KEYS!

Fast! This show just started airing a few days ago !
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 21:05   Link #204
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Saw em' at the Parco City Mall website. There's even more.
http://www.parco-city.com/shop/99noi...newly/limit/50
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 22:45   Link #205
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southeast Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm struck by that, too. Perhaps it's because it's hard to discuss the main aspects of the show since we've seen so little of the main plot yet?
That might be the case but.... it's still so weird to see romance as the highlight of the discussions when romance isn't really one of the main themes in the show o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
But if I knew nothing about [C] and started reading this thread, I'd think it's a show about romantic triangles rather than a show which is supposedly about money and power.
That will suck. T_T Crap, I hope no one did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Itís kind of sickening how the anime otaku mind works;
Letís just say stupidity and profanity tends to spreads like wildfire; especially when otaku pride is involved.
Oh these "ideal standards" on anime male and female characters is making me so sad.
But maybe those fans can't really be blamed because those are the type of characters that most writers create?
But then again, writers need something that sells. So I guess such characters are created for so many times to satisfy the demand. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
I guess it's the nature of anime being primarily an escapist form of entertainment that cause people to focus too much on the ideal rather than the reality. Kinda sucks, but what can you do...
Yeah but to force what's "ideal" too strongly is just... wah =_=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Despite what some people are (jokingly) claiming, true sluts in anime are rare, so it'll be actually kind of cool if the otaku rage was actually deserved for once.
Seconding this~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
if what Masakaki said about her turns out to be true (that she's only with her boyfriend for the money, and would jump on Kimimaro in a heartbeat if he had more money), then I'll most likely start hating her as well.
If what Masakaki said is true, I'll most likely hate her as well.
I don't see it possible though... I mean, someone picky on boyfriends would usually be picky with friends as well? And since she didn't mind a poor person for a friend, then money might not really matter to her.
But then again, with this show's writer, I doubt any of the characters would be that predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I have to say I'm also surprised at the level of discussion over Hanabi having a girlfriend. I guess it's unconventional considering she seems to be the heroine. However I think it's good element as it gives Kimimaro a sense of Jealousy and a more driving (and somewhat unsavoury) reason to get lots of money. In this kind of show it's important to give a sense of greed or desperation to all the characters. Idealistic heroes don't work.
Seconding this too~

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
But as youíve seen here any dose of realism, meaning breaking one of the nonsense rules like the girl isnít just stupid-in-love with the male lead but just shows affection, is likely to grow into death threats towards the writer, given enough fuel. Eri Takenashi got death threads for Kannagi.
Death threats towards the writer for being awesome? *cries* This is horrible....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I wonder if the Pokemon battles are metaphorical to the idea that for people with money, everything is a game like war and politics. They're just using it literally.
I see it that way ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
OMG!!! I WANT THAT ONE!!! Also this:
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:02   Link #206
winkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Hanabi definitely was setting him up. Objectively, such actions she took may be similar to how girls act towards friends in general, but the way in which she performed them were definitely leading him on, only to crush him with her announcement of a boyfriend.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:31   Link #207
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Hanabi definitely was setting him up. Objectively, such actions she took may be similar to how girls act towards friends in general, but the way in which she performed them were definitely leading him on, only to crush him with her announcement of a boyfriend.
She was just friendly with him. Besides, if Masakaki is anything like Kuubey, then you can expect what he said about her not to be entirely true anyway.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:21   Link #208
mysterious
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: somewhere on earth
The moral of the story is if you are a girl in anime, make sure to come clean and disclosure fully details about your social relationships, 3-side measurement and what not. Also, dont dare to be anywhere less than 200 meters from the protagonist must less talking to him and helping him if you are not free to fuck for the protagonist.if not, you will be perceived as a slut, manipulator and bitch.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:48   Link #209
winkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
She was just friendly with him. Besides, if Masakaki is anything like Kuubey, then you can expect what he said about her not to be entirely true anyway.
Well, I didn't take what he said to heart, I just judged her based on her actions.

I have girls who are strictly friends, and I can tell the difference in attitudes when they're as friends, and when they're going for something more (to my amusement whenever we're out and I see them talk up guys that they're interested in). Hanabi definitely fits in the latter crowd, and it just wasn't cool for her to crush his hopes like that all of a sudden if all he really was to her was a friend and not a potential interest.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 02:44   Link #210
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I wonder what would many people say if they were to watch Utena.
Their heads would probably explode, haha.

Anyway, I don't think Hanabi is that important. I think she's just a plot device, along with Kimimaro's father, and Kimimaro's lack of freedom due to budget constraints to make him do the deal with Masakaki.

I really doubt there'll be any romance in this anime, and if there is, I think chances are higher it'll involve Mashu rather than Hanabi.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 09:57   Link #211
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
It's been a while since I've posted. I thought that the first episode was interesting and very watchable, although it does not have the allure that other series like Tatami Galaxy and Honey and Clover had for it even at its very first episode. I think the Yu-gi-oh-ish battle during the first part and the cards themselves eerily reminded me of a YGO-ripoff. I'm sure that while Kenji Kamiyama didn't have that in mind the similarities simply evinced themselves.

Masakaki is very interesting and I simply love Takahiro Sakurai in roles like that. That's why I argued that C is like the postmodern Mononoke, as there are obvious likenesses between Masakaki and Medicine Seller. The creepy vibe of the Financial District also seemed like one of Kusuri-iuri's exorcisms. It's just my two cents, though.

I wrote more about the show's similarity with Eden of the East here. I hope it doesn't fizzle out like that show did.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 10:12   Link #212
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
The moral of the story is if you are a girl in anime, make sure to come clean and disclosure fully details about your social relationships, 3-side measurement and what not. Also, dont dare to be anywhere less than 200 meters from the protagonist must less talking to him and helping him if you are not free to fuck for the protagonist.if not, you will be perceived as a slut, manipulator and bitch.
You also forgot that she is not dressing the part. Those mismatched clothes are being shown on her for a reason.

Even the food choices at lunch that they did were contrasting. She had the expensive main dish and side vegetables. He took the inexpensive lunch. And seating position is impt. Friends and future couples sit at the same table (beside or across from each other). She chose a position that forces him to look up to her which I thought was weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I wonder what would many people say if they were to watch Utena.
Their heads would probably explode, haha.
Watched Utena a long time ago. I don't think it would hold up well nowadays which is prob why Nozomi is releasing it in the US. Otaku tastes have changed.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 10:26   Link #213
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Anyway, I don't think Hanabi is that important. I think she's just a plot device, along with Kimimaro's father, and Kimimaro's lack of freedom due to budget constraints to make him do the deal with Masakaki.
I disagree. The interview available hints her role will have some importance, especially when the shenanigans of the Financial District begins to affect the real world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I really doubt there'll be any romance in this anime, and if there is, I think chances are higher it'll involve Mashu rather than Hanabi.
Unlikely IMO. Mashu is part of a fantasy world, and I doubt the anime is going to embrace that world by the end of the series. Either Kiminaro will get burned because of it, or he'll manage to get out of the "contract" and go back to being normal, but with a renewed outlook on life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
I have girls who are strictly friends, and I can tell the difference in attitudes when they're as friends, and when they're going for something more (to my amusement whenever we're out and I see them talk up guys that they're interested in). Hanabi definitely fits in the latter crowd, and it just wasn't cool for her to crush his hopes like that all of a sudden if all he really was to her was a friend and not a potential interest.
Don't know man. Here girls are friendly like that, or even more, and it doesn't necessary mean they want to jump your bones. Some time they do, but not always.

To me Hanabi and Kiminaro seems just friends, unlike those other two guys, whom she seems to varily tolarelate.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And seating position is impt. Friends and future couples sit at the same table (beside or across from each other). She chose a position that forces him to look up to her which I thought was weird.
How do you know it wasn't him who chose that position. Maybe it's him who purposely sits apart from her, and she doesn't get close because she respects his personal space.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 10:39   Link #214
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

EDIT:



How do you know it wasn't him who chose that position. Maybe it's him who purposely sits apart from her, and she doesn't get close because she respects his personal space.
No one's personal space extends that far in a lunchroom setting. If his space was that huge, he couldn't work in a fast food joint. And they had no problems standing close to each other when she was in a position to point out the existence of her rich boyfriend after texting on her cellphone.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:01   Link #215
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No one's personal space extends that far in a lunchroom setting. If his space was that huge, he couldn't work in a fast food joint. And they had no problems standing close to each other when she was in a position to point out the existence of her rich boyfriend after texting on her cellphone.
You're not getting my point. He's poor, so he feels inadequate in college, as most people he knows there seem to be pretty well off, and so put some distance between them, maybe even unconsciously. See how he basically runs away when the two guys appear at the table. He can't socialize with them because he doesn't have money, so what's the point in being more friendly with them. It's just going to make it more painful.

But later, when Hanabi goes out of her wait to help him, you can see that even though he always puts a barrier between them, he does want to get closer to her. But it's not her fault her boyfriend chose that moment to appear.

To me, the surprised look on Hanabi's face when Kiminaro announces he's going with them to that drinking party or whatever speaks volumes. It's extremely rare for Kiminaro to socialize with them, and the seating position is a visual sign of that distance.

I'm calling it now. Hanabi is a true friend, and wasn't leading him on, at least not consciously.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-04-17 at 11:16.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:10   Link #216
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

To me, the surprised look on Honabi's face when Kiminaro announce he's going to drink with them speaks volumes. It's extremely rare for Kiminaro to socialize with them, and the seating position is part of that distance he always put between him and everyone else there.

I'm calling it now. Hanabi is a true friend, and wasn't leading him on, at least not consciously.
Or the surprised look could be that she didn't think that he actually had money and she let him go prematurely.

As this is only the first ep., I'll wait for more info. Being anime, I suspect that his only "friend" is going to be Mashu as he climbs up the Financial District social ladder. Souichiro was going on a date with Q after all. I'm taking this as a hint as to what goes on there.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:14   Link #217
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Or the surprised look could be that she didn't think that he actually had money and she let him go prematurely.
To each their own. To me, this first episode is supposed to speak more about him than anyone else, so it's consistent that Hanabi's look was more about him than about herself.

You're too biased against her I think. At any rate, let's wait and see what happens.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:22   Link #218
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
To each their own. To me, this first episode is supposed to speak more about him than anyone else, so it's consistent that Hanabi's look was more about him than about herself.

You're too biased against her I think. At any rate, let's wait and see what happens.
Not too biased at all. Her clothing choices are inconsistent with her financial status. She just happens to highlight all the things that pushed the MC over to the dark side rather conveniently. Then Masakaki's comment came into play.

I'm willing to wait and see but this is an anime title. Real life things tend to be "messy". So with her inconsistencies, she's suspect from the start.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:30   Link #219
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I think Hanabi is a device to advance the plot. Kimimaro needs a reason to enter the financial district, Hanabi dating a rich guy is exactly that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Hanabi definitely was setting him up. Objectively, such actions she took may be similar to how girls act towards friends in general, but the way in which she performed them were definitely leading him on, only to crush him with her announcement of a boyfriend.
I think that the way Hanabi was shown performing the actions could have very well been Kimimaro's perception. I know that sometimes I see normally plain friendly actions by girls I like as a hint that they like me.

btw, I would love to have Hanabi as a friend. She seems like a very nice person. She's willing to go to her friend in person to remind him about the test. Dating people with money is sadly a very realistic thing, the only reason people are shocked is because that anime is generally very "escapist" and presents an ideal where that doesn't happen.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 11:31   Link #220
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Being anime, I suspect that his only "friend" is going to be Mashu as he climbs up the Financial District social ladder. Souichiro was going on a date with Q after all. I'm taking this as a hint as to what goes on there.
Ah, so, since reality is too painful, let's go to the fantasy world, with a fantasy girlfriend to boot. Seems like a sweet deal, but I don't see it. This is Nakamura, not Yamakan. For instance, Mikuni seemed pretty absorbed in that world, so I don't expect Kiminaro to end up like him. What I see is Kiminaro coming to terms with his reality at the end, whether he gets with Hanabi or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not too biased at all. Her clothing choices are inconsistent with her financial status. She just happens to highlight all the things that pushed the MC over to the dark side rather conveniently. Then Masakaki's comment came into play.
Masakaki's comment is purposely misleading. He says Hanabi's boyfriend is rich (we can consider that a fact) and that's likely the reason she's with him.

Like Kyubey, Masakaki is using semantics to manipulate. If he knew for a fact that was the reason Hanabi was dating that guy, he would say so, but instead he speaks in uncertain terms. So the true is that he doesn't know.

And but the way, I don't think Hanabi is rich, and I don't think she ever claimed that either. She only said she was going to college on her family's money, but you don't need to be rich to pay college. So her clothes don't seem that important to me.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, finance, noitamina

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.