AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-12, 03:12   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 610 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.





Happy new year, folks! Turns out that Oda's not on break after all! And seeing as I discovered the spoiler summary, I figured I'd finally get off my duff and make the first new chapter thread of 2011 (as usual, credit goes to aohige for translation):



-Chapter title is "Fortune Teller Madame Shirley". Splash page features Vivi (post-skip version of her too, apparently).


-Luffy and co. go to the Ryugu Palace Coral Hill, and manage to save Sanji's life. However, the pirates who donated blood to him turn out to be twin Okama mermaids named Splash and Splatter (I think you can guess Sanji's reaction to his saviors ). It also turns out that Luffy got poisoned during his skirmish with Hammond, but he is now more resistant to poison thanks to his encounter with Magellan. Luffy also notes that a swordsman amongst Hammond's crew was strong enough to block his strike.....



-Meanwhile, Hyozou, the aforementioned octo-swordsman, is carrying Hammond and the other KO-ed fish-pirates. It turns out that he was the one who poisoned Luffy, though accidentally. While he contemplates his blunder, a mermaid's scream is heard. It turns out that Camie's friends had freed Caribou from the barrel, and one of them, Ishley, was kidnapped.....



-At the mermaid cafe, we're introduced to Madame Shirley, a mermaid fortuneteller. She foresaw many events such as Whitebeard's death and the war. It turns out that Brooke and Pappag reached the cafe before Luffy's group did. Meanwhile, we find out that captain Van der Dekken is of the ninth generation of his family. Even more interesting is that Merman Island is currently under the protection of the Yonkou Big Mom (whose real name is Charlotte Ling-Ling). However, her services do not come for free, as she demands payment in the form of candy from the island's sweets factory, it would seem....


-When Luffy leaves the cafe, Madame Shirley receives a most ominous fortune: That Merman Island will be destroyed by the rookie's own hands......





Well now, things are starting to get most interesting now, isn't it? We're introduced to our first powerful new enemy of the arc (I guess Hyozou is the strongest swordsman that Hachi mentioned, then), we finally learn more about Van der Dekken, and we even get some Big Mom info (my, my, it truly is a treat to learn her real name)! Heh, looks like she's got quite a sweet tooth......


As for the whole Luffy destroying MI thing goes, I'm guessing that it's just a misunderstanding on the mer-seer's part. After all, I still kinda feel that Luffy will become the next protector of the underwater island, even if another emperor has decided to take Whitebeard's place......



Well, the full chapter should be out soon, methinks!

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-12 at 03:55.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:04   Link #2
valk0v
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bulgaria, Burgas
marvelB i'm glad that you made the thread, you r a true story teller. It's always interesting to read your resumes.
So we have a opponent for Zoro, can't wait to see him in action.
It looks like Sanji won't die happy, but wake in hell
As for "Madame Shirley receives a most ominous fortune: That Merman Island will be destroyed by the rookie's own hands.." if something like that happen, i'm sure Luffy will be doin' this for some good purpose.
valk0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:06   Link #3
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Well well, this is a surprise. Thought we wouldn't get another chapter till next week. =D

Vivi 2 years later on the splash page huh? I wonder if that means we'll see more characters post-timeskip?

Guess something good came out of Luffy's near-death experience. Though can a body really make antibodies for poisons?

I guess there's no fight for power over Fishman Island after all since another Yonkou claimed it her territory. I have a feeling we'll be seeing her soon enough. =p

REALLY intrigued about what the fortune teller means by saying Luffy will destroy the island.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:13   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
So let me get this out of my system.

I TOLD YOU SO



No matter what I said, as soon as mangastream releases their edition, everyone eats it up.
Ya think after all this time....


Edit: just posted ohana's summary as well, enjoy.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:15   Link #5
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Heh, the chapter ending reminds me of the little disagreement me and james0246 had in the previous chapter thread about the arc's length. I do believe that Luffy's potentially being responsible for the destruction of merman island is a plot point that will take quite a few more than 10 chapters to resolve.



BTW, another spoiler summary's out, and it mentions that Van der Decken's wanted poster is shown. Apparently, he has a monsterlike appearance with sharp teeth (though it still hasn't been explained whether or not he's even human). I can't wait for him to be properly introduced, along with Hody Jones (I'd say Big Mom as well, but I doubt we'd see more than a silhouette of her (and we'd be lucky to even get that) this storyline)......



Edit: Ah, aohige ninja'd me on that second summary. Still, lol at Luffy bringing up that random question again with that fortuneteller.


Edit 2: So apparently, Big Mom's jolly roger has lips that resembles Lola's. Guess this is near-certain proof that Charlotte is Lola's momma after all.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-12 at 04:43.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 06:05   Link #6
Sprite_Coke
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Washington
Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
About damn time
__________________
Click for my MyAnimeList
Sprite_Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 09:28   Link #7
Divine Punisher
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iga-gakure
Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
that is alot of info. looking forward to this chapter.
__________________
Divine Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 09:42   Link #8
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by valk0v View Post
marvelB i'm glad that you made the thread, you r a true story teller. It's always interesting to read your resumes.
Hey! So that's the thanks I get for providing the chapters when Marvel is out lazing around? Just goes to show how inconsiderate some people are...



Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I do believe that Luffy's potentially being responsible for the destruction of merman island is a plot point that will take quite a few more than 10 chapters to resolve.
.....
Shows what you know. Sometime in the next 9 chapters, Luffy will encounter a giant red button that is labeled "DO NOT PRESS - SELF DESTRUCT", and since he is Luffy he will press the button, accidentally destroying the island in the process (ala Franky just recently).



Best part of the spoilers, Okama Mermaids saving Sanji, and the revelations of Big Momma. Brook chillin' was also pretty funny...

Worst part, the poop joke (it just seemed so forced).

Btw, I'm unclear why you labeled Hyozou as "powerful"? Dodging a minor blow from Luffy might indicate that he is stronger than a rookie, but the spoiler (to me at least) didn't indicate anything beyond the fact that he survived against Luffy.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 12:03   Link #9
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^Would you really consider a Gear 2 assault to be "minor"? Heck, even Luffy himself acknowledged that Hyozou was a pretty tough customer after discovering that he was poisoned......



BTW, I kinda have an idea as to how Luffy will bring doom upon Merman Island: Luffy will accidentally destroy Big Mom's candy factory, which will bring about the empress' wrath due to having lost her source of favorite confectionary treats.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 12:16   Link #10
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Would you really consider a Gear 2 assault to be "minor"? Heck, even Luffy himself acknowledged that Hyozou was a pretty tough customer after discovering that he was poisoned......
Gear 2 is par for the course nowadays, and while Luffy did acknowledge him, it seemed more like false hype to me...whatever the case, I just didn't see a reason to hype the character yet (though I do think Van der Decken's hype is growing nicely).

I did like the detail about Luffy being slightly immune (or at least having a greater resistance to) poison(s)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I kinda have an idea as to how Luffy will bring doom upon Merman Island: Luffy will accidentally destroy Big Mom's candy factory, which will bring about the empress' wrath due to having lost her source of favorite confectionary treats.
I could definitely see that happening. I could also see the Princess falling in love with Luffy and abandoning FI to travel with him (which will ruin the economy, since people come to see how beautiful she is); or, he insults her, causing her to abandon FI (which will ruin the economy) to attempt to kill him. Etc.

In the end, if a character says Luffy will bring ruin, my first inclination will always be something comedic .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 12:36   Link #11
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Review time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Chapter title is "Fortune Teller Madame Shirley". Splash page features Vivi (post-skip version of her too, apparently).
I bet Vivi's hair is short like Nami's used to be. [cries like tiger cub]

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Luffy and co. go to the Ryugu Palace Coral Hill, and manage to save Sanji's life. However, the pirates who donated blood to him turn out to be twin Okama mermaids named Splash and Splatter (I think you can guess Sanji's reaction to his saviors ). It also turns out that Luffy got poisoned during his skirmish with Hammond, but he is now more resistant to poison thanks to his encounter with Magellan. Luffy also notes that a swordsman amongst Hammond's crew was strong enough to block his strike.....
Sanji saved by Okama mermaids. < (wheezing laugh) Luffy getting poisoned only to be more resistant. Good for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Meanwhile, Hyozou, the aforementioned octo-swordsman, is carrying Hammond and the other KO-ed fish-pirates. It turns out that he was the one who poisoned Luffy, though accidentally. While he contemplates his blunder, a mermaid's scream is heard. It turns out that Camie's friends had freed Caribou from the barrel, and one of them, Ishley, was kidnapped.....
Hyozou carrying his crewmates. I wonder how many he could carry? Caribou got free and he captured Ishley. Caribou probably plans to lure Sanji into fighting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-At the mermaid cafe, we're introduced to Madame Shirley, a mermaid fortuneteller. She foresaw many events such as Whitebeard's death and the war.* It turns out that Brooke and Pappag reached the cafe before Luffy's group did.** Meanwhile, we find out that captain Van der Dekken is of the ninth generation of his family.*** Even more interesting is that Merman Island is currently under the protection of the Yonkou Big Mom (whose real name is Charlotte Ling-Ling).**** However, her services do not come for free, as she demands payment in the form of candy from the island's sweets factory, it would seem....*****
*Did she tell Luffy the details of Whitebeard's death?
**Besides Brook, is Nami in this chapter?
***If Van der Dekken is a fishman, what species is he? His past 8 generations must be very dangerous.
****So Big Mom's real name is Charlotte Ling-Ling. I wonder if that name is inspired by a chinese pirate?
*****Madame Shirley sure got a sweet tooth alright. I wonder what kind of sweets she prefers? Main problem: Where would the sweets factory be located? It better not be inconveniant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-When Luffy leaves the cafe, Madame Shirley receives a most ominous fortune: That Merman Island will be destroyed by the rookie's own hands......
I'd say the only thing that could prevent such destruction is that Charlotte Ling-Ling is nearby. She would not be happy at how reckless Luffy is.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 13:14   Link #12
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Chapter is out.~

Some new developments with the translation, it turns out Van der Decken died a long time ago and the current one sailing the Flying Dutchman is his grandson Van der Decken XI.

And Madam Shirley doesn't say the island will be destroyed by Luffy specifically, but rather by "a boy with a ripped straw hat" and Luffy's doesn't look ripped to me, unless it gets ripped somehow later on.

And Luffy with the poop question? Come on, that's just gross. Even though Brook gave you a straight answer do you really think everybody else would? ^^;
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 13:23   Link #13
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Btw, I'm unclear why you labeled Hyozou as "powerful"?
Cuz Luffy said so. And you know Luffy wouldn't compliment on someone's strength if it wasn't true.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 13:30   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Vivi sure has grown up well in some areas.

I didn't expect Sanji to be saved by Okamas. Does he naturally attract them or what? Poor guy... just when he thought he had finally gotten rid of them. I loved the twist at the end of the chapter. I can't wait to see how this will play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Btw, I'm unclear why you labeled Hyozou as "powerful"? Dodging a minor blow from Luffy might indicate that he is stronger than a rookie, but the spoiler (to me at least) didn't indicate anything beyond the fact that he survived against Luffy.
He managed to effortlessly block (not dodge) gear 2 Luffy's blow and poison him. That's enough to tell he's powerful, though how much remains to be seen.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 14:22   Link #15
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Wow, that fortuneteller is hot. Heh, good thing Sanji didn't meet her after all, lest he ends up owing an even greater debt to those okamas.



And.... Big Mam? Looks like Oda's wacky Engrish is at work again (and I thought "Shiliew" sounded crazy.....). Still, I loved seeing Luffy and co. exploring more of the underwater island (the tidbits about all of the merfish hybrids was pretty interesting). Van der Decken's bounty poster seems to suggest he's a merman, but he could just as easily be a human with a warped body like Moria. Y'know, what with all the talk about him being obsessed with the mermaid princess, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a large factor in Shirley's dark prophecy about Luffy.....



Ha hah, gotta love seeing the pimpin' Soul King with all those mermaid chicks (and thankfully, he has more control over himself than Sanji does)! Maybe he'll be the one to save that poor mermaid from Caribou's clutches (though I still rather like the idea of him being the one to face Van der Decken....). I also really want to see Hyozou in action, too (a drunken octo-swordsman sounds like quite a pretty cool opponent, methinks). And of course, I await the introductions of the rest of the Neptune family (I wonder how goofy the king looks....). I suppose the rest of the Straw-Hats will appear next chapter, though I hope we'll be introduced to some more new enemies, as well (aside from the expected intros of Jones and Van der Decken, that is).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 14:40   Link #16
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Oh the innuendos, Oda you

Well that was quite the jam packed chapter, even if nothing huge or action like happened, alot of info and build up.

I love Madam Shirley's design, she's big and beautiful(you don't really get to say that much)

I'm guessing Van Der Decken will have something to do with the destroying of the Island. Something like Luffy is mistaken as the one destroying but it's actually Van Der Decken, the wanted poster had a hat similar to Luffys so maybe thats where the confusion comes in.

On the note with Caribou, I think it would be rather fitting or inline with OP: Strong World, if Brook is the one to save the mermaids instead of Sanji, last second save
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 16:27   Link #17
SoFarGone
H.A.M.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: somewhere on this planet
I'm looking forward to seeing the mermaid princess.
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 17:02   Link #18
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Wow, like Nami, Vivi has really grown up in many areas in the last two years.

To be honest, the first part of the story is a bit boring for me, I wanted to see the other SH crew already. Madam Shirley design is nice though, especially when she's angry by Luffy's stupid joke. It really starts rolling when all the expositions are pouring in, especially about Big Mam protecting FI, we even got her name! Don't worry Luffy, I think you'll get to see her sooner than you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Gear 2 is par for the course nowadays, and while Luffy did acknowledge him, it seemed more like false hype to me...whatever the case, I just didn't see a reason to hype the character yet (though I do think Van der Decken's hype is growing nicely).

I did like the detail about Luffy being slightly immune (or at least having a greater resistance to) poison(s)...
Well, at least we know that he's not regular fodder. I agree that the hype is a bit much, there's no way he'll defeat Zoro for instance, but perhaps he'll be an even match for Brook...at least, pre-timeskip, although he may be even stronger than Luffy first predicts as well.

Yeah, I also like that little detail, goes for show that Oda really remembers a lot, even small details like that that most of us don't even realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I could definitely see that happening. I could also see the Princess falling in love with Luffy and abandoning FI to travel with him (which will ruin the economy, since people come to see how beautiful she is); or, he insults her, causing her to abandon FI (which will ruin the economy) to attempt to kill him. Etc.

In the end, if a character says Luffy will bring ruin, my first inclination will always be something comedic .
Hmmm, I like your idea, primarily because it ends up with the Mermaid Princess being a crewmate (I want another woman to balance the ratio a bit, besides there's too many DF users, a great swimmer would be great). Still, falling in love with Luffy has already been done with Hancock, doing it again seems a bit of a rehash...I also believe that it would be something comedic (exactly because that's how Oda usually does it) although inadvertently doing things like destroying the protective bubble in an all-out battle also seems probable...
__________________
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 17:17   Link #19
spandy15
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rough Tale
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Ha hah, gotta love seeing the pimpin' Soul King with all those mermaid chicks (and thankfully, he has more control over himself than Sanji does)!
Of course Brooke has more self control when it comes to mermaids (or women, for that matter) than Sanji does; we won't see him get any epic nosebleeds like Sanji, either. And do you know why? BECAUSE HE HAS NO BLOOD TO SPURT!!! YOHOHOHO!!! Bone Joke!
__________________
For those of you who have poor eyesight, this says "Faceground: When the palm just isn't enough."
spandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 17:36   Link #20
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Van der Decken will destroy Fishman Island.

That is a bit sad, considering how a lot of people were hoping that Luffy would be the new guardian of FI

Also bit sad how Big Mom seems to be Lola's mother, which means that Luffy has not 1, but 2 allies with the Yonkou (or 3, if you include WB's former crew).

Quote:
BECAUSE HE HAS NO BLOOD TO SPURT!!! YOHOHOHO!!! Bone Joke!
Oh my God...Lol.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.