PDA

View Full Version : Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (generic thread)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

totoum
2011-04-18, 19:23
Kayano Ai, who plays Menma, appears to be an up-and-comer, with that super-moe voice. She will play one of the three main characters in the new Last Exile, and that is only one of four roles she is already slated for later this year. I'm still not convinced: the voice is a little much even for me. But I am getting used to it.

Same with me.

Looking around I'd really like to see more of Ogura Yui after seeing her in an episode of Ore no Imouto and in .hack//quantum and Menma would seem a nice fit.I wonder what someone like Aikawa Juri would have done with the role (she's sounding great in the latest Shinkai movie trailers).
But really the rest of the cast seems great (I never get tired of hearing Irino Miyu) so I can let it go.

Nochgo
2011-04-18, 20:55
Man, the first episode managed to buy me. The initial setting really interested me and I'm excited to see how Jinta and Menma will bring the the separated gang together. As with others, Menma's voice annoyed me a little, but its not so bad that I can't ignore it/get used to it.

blewin
2011-04-19, 07:51
Love it! the animation, the music, the lay-back slice of life feel, the expectation of good changes coming for the character because of Menma's ghost returning...

though we won't get to see Menma and Jinta together, Jinta has intrigued me enough to be satisfied with this show as long as he changes into a better person (into how he originally was).

Can't wait to see more!

Westlo
2011-04-19, 07:57
Kayano Ai, who plays Menma, appears to be an up-and-comer, with that super-moe voice. She will play one of the three main characters in the new Last Exile, and that is only one of four roles she is already slated for later this year. I'm still not convinced: the voice is a little much even for me. But I am getting used to it.

I think Kayano is the next big thing as far as Female VAs go (and I based that off one ep of Merry after checking up who Isana's VA was lol) but I'm not exactly a fan of her Menma voice. Still this could be the role to skyrocket her career... I'm just looking forward to her Sket Dance character lol.

Kouvley
2011-04-19, 13:23
To those with Nico accounts, a radio rip of the full ed :)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14184595

The single is out on the 27th.

Triker
2011-04-20, 04:56
Here's a youtube link for full ed

http://youtu.be/lB2rMhu8EB8

Ravenblitz
2011-04-20, 05:15
well isn't scandal released the cover long ago? that's different?

kuroishinigami
2011-04-20, 07:25
Different version. Original version was by Zone. The one used in the anime is sung by the anime's seiyuu.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-20, 09:06
Here's a youtube link for full ed

http://youtu.be/lB2rMhu8EB8

You got my hopes up, but then dashed them when I clicked on the link. It's just the TV size ED... XD

Soconfused
2011-04-20, 23:13
o wow, watched the first ep of this show randomly on a whim, had no clue what it was about. Wow, fantastic episode, will definitely follow, has potential to be very good.

TAKOYAKI
2011-04-21, 10:43
This anime's ep1 must be the best of all anime!
However,I worried that the quality of ep2 will deteriorated....

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-21, 14:18
I loved ep2. That tight emotional feeling in my chest.

I'm getting used to Kayano Ai's tiny Menma voice.

And I love the ED. Beautiful blend of voices, and there's Hayami Saori's voice in there (with Tomatsu Haruka and the others) holding it all together. The most "beautiful" singing voice in the world, for me.

NOTE: I did originally say ep3. Sigh. Not the last mistake I'll make today.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-21, 14:31
Kaoru has joined the cast of Mirai Nikki...

konart
2011-04-21, 17:08
It was a pleasure to watch ep2. Except for one particularly disgusting moment

Otani-kun
2011-04-21, 17:09
Hm, kinda curious to what that is now, since I'm waiting for it to be subbed. ;<

serenade_beta
2011-04-21, 21:51
When I listen to that ED, I always get the urge to cry... :(
This time sung by the three females of the group.

Anyways, another solid episode... Except that one really pointless fanservice scene. But I guess it was only one moment, so I didn't end up caring as much. Especially when compared to Iro Saku Eroha.

Anal is such a good girl. :T_T:

As a fan of Pokemon, I really enjoyed the reference to Pokemon and the SP. :heh:
I actually still have Gold...
Can't forget Digimon though. Dojimon... It's true that the recent Digimon is a "doji"...

Aesthetic Shampoo
2011-04-21, 21:59
Loved it, this is really meeting the expectations. Enjoyed the Pokemon references as well. But that Yukiatsu guy? Didn't like him last episode, disliked him even more this time round. What he sniffing what i thought he was?

Triker
2011-04-21, 22:10
The scene of Yukiatsu in this episode is disturbing. :-(

I don't think he would be that crazy about Menma.
We would have a lot of drama before Yukiatsu rejoining the group.

.x.crii.x.
2011-04-21, 23:09
Man, this season´s jewel...I seriously have so many doubts.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, AnoHana, Hanasaku....dammit.

Sekai is my BL oasis so I can't really compare it to Anohana and Hanasaku.

If I had to choose between AnoHana and Hanasaku.....I think I'd choose AnoHana. Its got so much potential! I can't wait until more episodes come out. And I'm really loving Anaru so much. I think it'd be great if she ended up with Jintan in the end. Although it´d still be fine if she didn't, I just really like her character. Plus, she's really cute. ^^

Oh and that disturbing scene in ep two....gosh, it was weird. D: I think I was scarred for a minute or two.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-21, 23:30
For me, it was a bit emotional seeing Irinu Miyu and Haruka Tomatsu going at it on screen again for the first time... And that's fitting, as I see the ghost of "Cross Game" running through this show as surely as Menma is. When you have a powerful premise, you don't need to embellish it with overacting, dramatic BGM and plot trickery - just let the characters talk to each other and let the drama carry the weight.

I can see the themes of loss playing a major part here, about letting go vs. holding on to the memory of someone you love. I enjoyed seeing that Poppo - despite going from tiny to huge ("growth spurts are cute") having changed the least - still a Jinta otaku, totally shameless about acting like a kid. I wonder if in fact the quest for this mysterious wish ends up being the wish itself - that quest bringing the old Super Peace Busters back together again. It certainly was fun seeing the "Nokemon" portrayed so lovingly.

Yes, Yukiatsu scene was a bit creepy. He and Tsuruko are clearly the farthest removed from the others now. In only two eps the group dynamics - both then and now - have been spelled out remarkably well. As close as they were the jealousies and rivalries were already there even as kids, and the teenagers haven't escaped them. And Menma's death has certainly complicated things further.

For me, this show has hit the emotional high points of the season so far. It has a fairy tale quality to it that's really appealing. I don't see a lot of trickery at work here - just simple, straightforward emotion playing out on a broad palette.

hero147
2011-04-22, 00:05
Watching the first 2 episodes, I already feel like it's the best anime of the year. I hope the end will be a happy ending. =)

Zoel
2011-04-22, 00:59
Watching this show kinda reminds me of a popular Japanese Drama back in the day. Has anyone seen the show Under the same roof ( ひとつ屋根の下 Hitotsu Yane no Shita) ? It not as sad, but i can feel the same kinda vibes from watching it.

Info on under the same roof.
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hitotsu_Yane_no_Shita

UltimaWolf
2011-04-22, 01:31
Another amazing episode. The pokemon reference was awesome and it put a smile on my face seeing Anaru, Jinta and Poppo laughing and playing together again...poor Menma. She is always there tugging at my heart. :(
Watching them all play 'nokemon' brought back alot of memories and nostalgia, made me want to go play some Black :heh:. The 'Menma the Hero' part almost brought a tear to my eye. I am really loving this show, can't wait till the next episode!!! Such an amazing feeling I have when I watch it, like you know it is going to be grand..like if I knew about Microsoft before it came to be. :p

Oh and by the way, was Yukiastu smelling Menma's old dress? Creepy...

blewin
2011-04-22, 02:02
episode 2 is just as good. I can't wait to see more! (guess I already said that before)
the ED fits so much. Wish I could understand Japanese so I don't have to look at the lyrics to get the meaning.

so we can be sure that Annaru likes Jinta and Yukiatu likes Menma. It's natural for Anaru to still hold feelings for Jinta as Jinta is still alive, but Yukiatu? How long had Menma died that he'd still hold so strong a feeling for her? (a bit creepy as some posters have already pointed out)

tsunade666
2011-04-22, 02:07
he really is smelling it. That guy is creepy. It also crossed my mind that is that a rug or something but the design for the end lace of menma's dress looks the same and he is also remembering and said menma. His jealous and ready to explode just from the word menma specially in episode one and now. His the type that likes the same girl, smart and jealous of the MC. His hard to deal with.

The other girl which I can't remember the name that make Anaru cry is another troublesome one but he likes the weird guy that smells dress. And it pains her that the creepy guy is still in love with the dead girl. She shouldn't throw her stress to other people.

Episode 2 was really great and fun and also sad and it would be perfect for me if I don't see creepy guy anymore but still for menma's wish. All of them need to be gathered so I will hang on to the thought that he is extremely creepy.

Like Poppo guy even if he grew old his still the same and his awesome from going all those places. His making his dream come true. Jinta is also turning better but still I think Anaru is the best for me XD

DragoonKain3
2011-04-22, 02:11
Man, they're really making Menma the woobie of the show. From the pet scene, to her trying to stop the fight between Anaru/Tsuruko, to "Where should Menma go back home to?", to her not wanting to intrude on Anaru's room, it seems the show likes to throw daggers at my heart every scene she's on. XD

Some interesting tidbits we learn about certain characters as well. Poppo and Jintan is still the same as always, but it's really surprising that deep down inside, Anaru is too. Even though she's hanging out with her stylish friends, she still works in a game store and she keeps all her games neatly put away.

Biggest surprise though was that Tsuruko is the bitch of the cast, as I half expected it to be Anaru, partly because its obvious that Anaru still a holds a torch to Jintan, and partly because she's voiced by Tomatsu. But no, Tsuruko seems to be the one most distant to Menma (even moreso than Anaru), but then again, no wonder because it seems Yukiatsu has it way worse than Jintan in more ways than one lols.

Need moar! Need MUCH moar! Bah, this should be like live action drama just so I get 45 mins instead of 25; not nearly enough imo. :heh:

Also, been a long time since I watched an episode of a show more than once. Yeah, I got it that bad... ;)

UltimaWolf
2011-04-22, 02:16
How long had Menma died that he'd still hold so strong a feeling for her? (a bit creepy as some posters have already pointed out)

I'm assuming no later than five years, since when Jinta is buying Gold version he mentions it being five years old, and in the flashback they are all playing it and Menma's "wish" was for a Golum or something like that haha.

Some interesting tidbits we learn about certain characters as well. Poppo and Jintan is still the same as always, but it's really surprising that deep down inside, Anaru is too. Even though she's hanging out with her stylish friends, she still works in a game store and she keeps all her games neatly put away.
I noticed that too, you are never too old for manga/anime and games! Haha, but I am glad atleast those three are getting a long, now just need the rest of the Super Peace Busters together!

tsunade666
2011-04-22, 02:27
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Tsunade666/AoHana.png

you judge on what this guy is doing.

At first when I heard Super Peace Busters it reminds me of Little Busters and Yuki or creepy guy reminds me of Kyousuke. But his a huge let down -_-

Jinta might not change from the inside but still their is change on him. His a shut in. That's enough reason for a huge change. I wonder if him being a hikikomori is also due to Menma. But how did he pass a grade if the whole year his a shut in? So I think it just happens recently but I'm not sure yet.

I expect Poppo to be Poppo and didn't change because of his character design when I saw him grow. And also Jinta but he did change. And for the others I expect changes too. But it sure is nice that Anaru is back in the group.

It was HNNNNG moments when the high five and Anaru just keep staring at Jinta XD

Next episode looks like about School. And thinking about what Anaru wish for Jinta to do.

Triker
2011-04-22, 02:52
I don't think Tsuruko is a bitch. I think she is one of the two that has moved on with Menma's death (the other one is Poppo). The others are still stuck with Menma death. It seems like they don't want to talk or mention Menma at all. And I think there's something more happened on the day that Menma died. Everyone seems to have a regret about Menma's death.

Jinta - regret that he spoke badly about Menma
Anaru - regret that she asked the question
Yukiatsu - ? we don't know what he did that day after Jinta ran away.

I like Anaru more after this episode. Agree with everyone that she is still the same as when she was a kid.

Next week we might get a hint of why Jinta stopped going to school. I don't it is related to Menma's death.

Btw, Tsuruko is very cute in the preview. I can't wait for next week

UltimaWolf
2011-04-22, 03:11
^ I wonder if Yukiatsu saw what happened to Menma or was the one that found her, could be why he is still so messed up about it.

This episode made me like Anaru alot more but still not sure who to root for. :heh:

LusterFlare
2011-04-22, 03:18
Did they really just bust out the link cables? Dat nostalgia.

Anaru was d'awww this episode.

Also, been a long time since I watched an episode of a show more than once. Yeah, I got it that bad... ;)
You and I both haha ;)

OceanBlue
2011-04-22, 03:24
Actually, I think the only reason Tsuruko was acting that was because she was mad that Anaru was hanging out with people who talked that way about Jinta. She looked worried about Jinta when they were talking in episode 1. I'd imagine that she forced herself to get over Menma because Yukiatsu didn't.

Even if she's the same as when she was a kid [which, I think all of them are to an extent], I don't think she'll comfortably hang around Jinta like Poppo has. In fact, her scene with Tsuruko is interesting. I agree that Anaru is too easily impressionable, and I imagine that standing up for herself and breaking away from her "friends" will be part of her development, but I also think that Tsuruko might have forced herself to mature because of everyone around her.

The characters in this show are so interesting. They're all going to change, and I want to see how they change. Also, how did Poppo get the money for all of those trips?

Edit: Except for Yukiatsu. It bothers me that he only saw Menma in the OP, and I'm not liking him at all so far.

CWW
2011-04-22, 03:24
Yes! Nokemon! Gotta catch 'em all!

Glad to see them got together again. Jinta should really go to school again. That way we can see more of Anaru! :heh:

I wonder what's up with Tsuruko. They didn't pay much attention to her in the childhood flashbacks, but her clothes were certainly out there. A pink shirt with a necktie is pretty fashionable for someone her age. Now she wears her school uniform wherever she goes, complete with glasses, seemingly paying more attention to her status than her appearance. She is the most mysterious of the bunch. I reckon she may be the final boss so to speak. The quiet ones are the most dangerous ones...

kuroishinigami
2011-04-22, 03:29
Another good episode, although wasn't as great as the first one. The impact on episode one was just so much stronger for me. Even with all that, I'm still very satisfied with this series so far. Hoping they can keep up the good job until the end.

Mr.Garfield
2011-04-22, 03:36
i'm willing to vote this show best of the season no matter what happen in the latter eps
love it!

^ I wonder if Yukiatsu saw what happened to Menma or was the one that found her, could be why he is still so messed up about it.
or he's the cause...

that might be too twisted up i guess

Asterisk
2011-04-22, 03:59
I think this show is arguably the best of the season, and thats a pretty wild decision from me since I just picked up this show on the whim just a few hours ago.

Its a shame that gathering from the view count of this thread it seems not everyone has watched this yet, which is a terrible thing because it deserves so much more attention.

Haak
2011-04-22, 04:04
Episode 2.

Pokemon brings people together. :D

UltimaWolf
2011-04-22, 04:05
I think this show is arguably the best of the season, and thats a pretty wild decision from me since I just picked up this show on the whim just a few hours ago.

Its a shame that gathering from the view count of this thread it seems not everyone has watched this yet, which is a terrible thing because it deserves so much more attention.

I highly agree with you, it is sad not more people are watching it, though hopefully they will see the light!

kuroishinigami
2011-04-22, 04:10
Well, the theme they're bringing up in this show isn't exactly mainstream, and not everyone is a fan of slow drama in anime.

Johnny
2011-04-22, 04:13
Actually, I think the only reason Tsuruko was acting that was because she was mad that Anaru was hanging out with people who talked that way about Jinta. She looked worried about Jinta when they were talking in episode 1. I'd imagine that she forced herself to get over Menma because Yukiatsu didn't.
Yeah I agree. She was fine until they started ragging on Jinta...

Pretty good episode all around. Also already mentioned but Yukiatsu, creepy much...?

Joachim
2011-04-22, 04:15
Man, they're really making Menma the woobie of the show. From the pet scene, to her trying to stop the fight between Anaru/Tsuruko, to "Where should Menma go back home to?", to her not wanting to intrude on Anaru's room, it seems the show likes to throw daggers at my heart every scene she's on. XD

points taken, you and i both, especially the first point, they managed to always kick me in the gut whenever menma is on the screen, tugging my heartstring without background music shows just how good they animate menma and her characterization

OceanBlue
2011-04-22, 04:29
I wonder what's up with Tsuruko. They didn't pay much attention to her in the childhood flashbacks, but her clothes were certainly out there. A pink shirt with a necktie is pretty fashionable for someone her age. Now she wears her school uniform wherever she goes, complete with glasses, seemingly paying more attention to her status than her appearance. She is the most mysterious of the bunch. I reckon she may be the final boss so to speak. The quiet ones are the most dangerous ones...

I don't know about that. I personally think that Yukiatsu is the "final boss". He seems to have a really unhealthy fixation on Menma. Even in the OP, Menma's the only child he notices.

Triker
2011-04-22, 04:45

Totally agree. Tsuruko is so far the most mature of all 6 and the most interesting imho.

I hope we know more about her and Yukiatsu next episode.

Otani-kun
2011-04-22, 04:58
I really hope Anaru dumps those slutty friends of her soon, no wonder Tsuruko got upset. :/

CWW
2011-04-22, 05:07
I guess there are two ways to interpret Tsuruko's behavior. The impression I get from her is that she's coy and judgmental rather than mature and concerned for the well-being of others. She's probably not a horrible person, but I suspect there's a slight jealousy in her. We'll see I suppose.

Seiryuu
2011-04-22, 05:28
I'm definitely a Naruko fan having watched this. I imagine she really hates that nickname now though. I mean, who'd want to be known as "Anal"? It's great to see her open up a bit.

Still, I'm surprised that Jinta actually thought that Menma's "promise" was a PokemonNokemon. And more surprised that they were able to beat the thing so fast, or get it to a point where they could trade rares.

I hope Menma starts to realize how "old" she is now. I mean, walking around in a towel is one thing (and thankfully she's self-connscious enough to wear a towel), but that spot in the first ep where she apparently "pleasured" Jinta with her rear without even realizing it was seriously messed up. I wonder if his father thought THAT was "cute".

Anyway, looks like everyone's going to have issues that they're struggling with and feel depressed or even ashamed about, based around their past and their relationships. They all probably have things they feel they did wrong, and think Menma would be with them if they'd done them right. And they won't be able to "fulfill" the "promise" until they've started to work through them, come to terms with them and find the bonds that they'd buried all those years before. I imagine in the process Naruko will eventually confess, which is what she really wanted to do that day. And Yukiatsu will have to admit his own feelings for Menma that have messed him up so much.

I just hope that when Naruko confesses to Jinta, they start going out and a new "Menma" doesn't show up out of nowhere to steal him away. It'd be really cliche if Menma "passes on" and then suddenly turns up as a similar-looking girl, and really cruel to Naruko.

On a last note, when Naruko blushed at her friends' suggestion that Jinta's having lewd dreams about her, I couldn't help but wonder if the reverse is actually true.

OceanBlue
2011-04-22, 05:36
I guess there are two ways to interpret Tsuruko's behavior. The impression I get from her is that she's coy and judgmental rather than mature and concerned for the well-being of others. She's probably not a horrible person, but I suspect there's a slight jealousy in her. We'll see I suppose.
I personally wasn't saying that she was mature and always concerned for the well-being of others, and I agree that she's somewhat coy [although I don't know where you get judgmental from]. She's no exception to the cast; everyone is supposed to appear as distant and somewhat mean to each other [except for Poppo, who's really cool].

Mature is the wrong word, and I shouldn't have used it. I meant to say that she seems like a character who forces herself to act emotionally tough, and that's due to Yukiatsu's fixation on Menma. In my opinion, she seems jealous of Menma because she attempts to act as if she isn't bothered by Menma's death anymore, again due to Yukiatsu. There probably is a slight jealousy in her, which is why she acts the way she does.

As for the well-being of others, she doesn't act any differently than Anaru does. While Anaru can't come to admit that she doesn't like how they talk about Jinta, Tsuruko can't admit the same and instead acts as if she doesn't like talking to students from Anaru's high school. Even if she really does think that, I don't think that was the reason she left the restaurant. I think Anaru and Tsuruko are equally concerned for others [if not more so for Anaru, considering she still supports Jinta].

How she acted with Anaru was a different issue. The words were harsh enough, but she obviously goes out of her way to be hostile [invading personal space]. That's why I think she treasures her old [and with an emphasis on old. I don't think she considers the new Anaru to be the same as the old Anaru, just like Jinta] friends just as much as Anaru and Poppo do.

lordshadowisle
2011-04-22, 05:44
A solid 2nd episode.

Regarding Tsuruko, I'll agree with some of the posts above saying that she's probably the most mature of the bunch, and in the same sense, probably the one who has changed the most. I think that change and moving on will be the focus in future episodes; in this episode various pieces of dialogue intentionally highlight who has changed (or not).

Therefore, when the three of them bonded over Nokemon like in the days of the past, when Menma said that "Anaru hasn't changed", it goes to say that it's not just that they haven't changed, it's also that these three haven't moved on from her death.

Also, I'm speculating here, but Poppo may have more of a story behind him. His "capture" may be too simple, and he doesn't seem to have any particular angle to Menma's death. It's certainly possible that he was younger and less affected by her death, but in any case his circumstances are quite unusual (not schooling, happy-go-lucky personality) and might be his way of coping.

After watching this I learnt that studying makes you a jerk, and even a creep :heh:

All hail the underperformers in life!

Silverwyrm
2011-04-22, 05:59
I don't know about that. I personally think that Yukiatsu is the "final boss". He seems to have a really unhealthy fixation on Menma. Even in the OP, Menma's the only child he notices.

I bet he uses Action Replay on his Nokemon too!

Anyways, very nice ep, really loving this show. Let's hope they dont pull a wtfchangeofpacelol on third ep like a certain other show. The (p)nokemon stuff really had nostalgia going for me, especially when they pulled out those link cables :)

I find Menma interesting because she can effect the physical world (so obviously she is real ghost). Anaru "felt something on her neck" in ep1, she was also able to eat something in this ep. If it ever came to it...proving her presence would be completely doable, but he still doesn't think she's real and that may not be a good idea in the first place, to bring back those memories like that.

satomianzaki
2011-04-22, 05:59
wow another nice anime...really liking it...really full of emotions...

this is the only season that i get to like so many anime series...nice nice...

:)

CWW
2011-04-22, 06:07
As for the well-being of others, she doesn't act any differently than Anaru does. While Anaru can't come to admit that she doesn't like how they talk about Jinta, Tsuruko can't admit the same and instead acts as if she doesn't like talking to students from Anaru's high school. Even if she really does think that, I don't think that was the reason she left the restaurant. I think Anaru and Tsuruko are equally concerned for others [if not more so for Anaru, considering she still supports Jinta].
That's the thing. Anaru was defending Jinta. I'd have understood Tsuruko's prissy behavior if Anaru had gone with the flock and said "Yeah, what a loser!" but she didn't. Tsuruko left in a rage when Anaru's friends made a comment clearly in a joking manner. It doesn't seem like something to get overly upset about if you're concerned about Jinta, least since they don't even keep in touch anymore.

That's what I meant with judgmental. She judges others for something they aren't based on their appearances. High schoolers can be cruel, but it doesn't mean they are all like that. Everyone had a time like that in high school where they're easily influenced by their peers, but Anaru actually didn't make disparaging comments about Jinta in front of her peers, which is commendable in my view.

She is a tsundere with a bit more dere than tsun. :p

OceanBlue
2011-04-22, 06:21
That's the thing. Anaru was defending Jinta. I'd have understood Tsuruko's prissy behavior if Anaru had gone with the flock and said "Yeah, what a loser!" but she didn't. Tsuruko left in a rage when Anaru's friends made a comment clearly in a joking manner. It doesn't seem like something to get overly upset about if you're concerned about Jinta, least since they don't even keep in touch anymore.

That's what I meant with judgmental. She judges others for something they aren't based on their appearances. High schoolers can be cruel, but it doesn't mean they are all like that. Everyone had a time like that in high school where they're easily influenced by their peers, but Anaru actually didn't make disparaging comments about Jinta in front of her peers, which is commendable in my view.

She is a tsundere with a bit more dere than tsun. :p
She was defending him, but really indirectly so by trying to justify what he does instead of standing up for him. I agree that Anaru went about that better than Tsuruko did, but Tsuruko sees Anaru as Jinta did, so she has no reason to believe that Anaru is supportive of Jinta anymore. To Tsuruko, Anaru is just someone who mentally abandoned Jinta, so she sees no reason to be nice to her like Anaru does to Tsuruko.

Not to mention that "clearly in a joking manner" doesn't mean they didn't believe it. They might have said it for amusement, but it was ill-mannered and supposed to be insulting to Jinta. It being said as a joke doesn't make it less of an insult.
[Also, I personally would get mad if people were insulting really good friends of mine like that, and I would've seen just leaving as a good choice.]

It's easy to say she's judgmental because we understand Anaru better, but in my opinion Tsuruko is just as judgmental as Jinta is, and by that I mean she's completely normal. Guilt by association is really common in situations like this.

I don't mean to say that Tsuruko is somehow more considerate of Anaru or something. Anaru is obviously the one who cares about Jinta more because she stays in contact, but my opinion is that these scenes are showing that Tsuruko still cares about Jinta, or at least the memories of her friends.

CWW
2011-04-22, 06:31
Some would say the erotic fantasy comment was a compliment rather than an insult. :p

Seiryuu
2011-04-22, 07:21
Some would say the erotic fantasy comment was a compliment rather than an insult. :p

Not sure which to think it is, but I'll say this: she didn't seem unhappy about the idea. If a girl didn't like a guy, her reaction to that suggestion would be one of disgust. The blush tells me that, while she'd never admit it, deep down she really wouldn't mind it if she was Jinta's okazu.

MeoTwister5
2011-04-22, 07:21
While it would be sort of a sappy and absurd ending if the show concludes with a cosmic reset or Menma resurrecting, it would be one hell of a crowning moment of heartwarming if say everyone, when they get back together, would see Menma as Jinta sees her one last time before her wish is fulfilled and she can finally rest in peace.

I would also cry like a bitch if that happened. Anyway awesome second episode. More comments later.

RedWing
2011-04-22, 07:47
Episode was boring. Totally failed to capitalise of Iroha's failures this week and instead we decided to talk about Nokemon.

Triker
2011-04-22, 08:11
While it would be sort of a sappy and absurd ending if the show concludes with a cosmic reset or Menma resurrecting, it would be one hell of a crowning moment of heartwarming if say everyone, when they get back together, would see Menma as Jinta sees her one last time before her wish is fulfilled and she can finally rest in peace.

I am waiting for this scene. I hope it happens. :D

hero147
2011-04-22, 08:27

I would also cry like a bitch if that happened. Anyway awesome second episode. More comments later.

To be honest, I second this. But then again, I'm a person who absolutely hates sad/bittersweet endings.

Kanon
2011-04-22, 08:35
This episode pulled on a different heart-string, which worked a lot better on me: nostalgia. It really hit me hard. I was very impressed by the direction and the pacing of this episode. I thought the first episode introduced to much characters at once, but in restrospect, this was a very good move.

I was surprised Anal (I chuckle every time someone calls her that now... damnit) opened up so fast. I thought she'd be one of the hardest to "get". The hardest one to deal with will most likely be Tsukuro, in my opinion. I get the feeling she was a lot more jealous of Menma than Anal was, and that she still resents her to this day. As such, I disagree she's the most mature of the cast. She just acts like she is.

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.

I hope Menma starts to realize how "old" she is now. I mean, walking around in a towel is one thing (and thankfully she's self-connscious enough to wear a towel), but that spot in the first ep where she apparently "pleasured" Jinta with her rear without even realizing it was seriously messed up. I wonder if his father thought THAT was "cute".

Don't forget that despite how she looks, she's only a six-year-old. Her behavior, unlike that of most moeblobs, is totally understandable, and there's no way she'll notice her behavior isinappropriate by herself. Jinta would have to explain it to her, which would be awkward to say the least.

You just spoiled the ending! :(

Kakkou
2011-04-22, 08:37
Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.

Another good episode, save for that little service scene that felt out of place. I didn't expect Anaru to come around so soon but now that they've more or less made up that leaves Tsuruko and the very much creepy Yukiatsu left. I'm still unsure about Tsuruko's current self. Did she snap at Anaru for hanging out with those girls who badmouthed her childhood friend or has she been soured by a deep seated jealousy towards Menma and whatever Yukiatsu's problem(s) may be? Anaru's choice of company may come up as a hurdle she has to overcome later while Yukiatsu's Menma fascination could very well be the last issue they have to tackle. There's also the question of how Menma died (hint appears to be drowning). Once more, I'm really loving this show. Hope it keeps getting better.

EDIT: Oh yes, Pokemon Nokemon Gold has always been my favourite version too =). Good times~

kitten320
2011-04-22, 08:49
Atsumu sure is creepy, just how the hell did he get that dress anyway? I guess he really liked her when they were kids, maybe a bit too much.

Looks like Tsurumi will be hard one to deal with.

Anjo happened to be a really nice person, though I think her friends will ruin that at some moment and she will have to fight herself.

MeoTwister5 that's the ending I see actually, a bittersweet reunion.

pagan poor
2011-04-22, 08:55
Already my favorite show of the season.

This, if it happened. I'm not expecting some sort of reset. I'm expecting everyone to have some closure regarding Menma. I think self-forgiveness is a key.

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.

Probably because he didn't have access to her panties. :twitch:

Triker
2011-04-22, 09:08
I guess I am the only one who has a feeling that Tsuruko really trasures the gang or at least doesn't want any conflict between them. I don't have any proof. But from what I saw she still cares about Jinta and she tried to stop Yukiatsu criticizing Jinta. Also when they were kids, she was the only one who tried to stop the others during Jinta's confession. So I think getting her to join the group wouldn't be that hard.

Or I'm just bias because I like her :D

MeoTwister5
2011-04-22, 09:29
Well, if I'm right with that speculation, then it may be prudent to have a towel handy when the final episode rolls by.

I Remember Yesterday (http://meotwister5.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/anohana-ep2-i-remember-yesterday/)

The wounds of the past do run deep just before the gaming session. Time supposedly heals all wounds, but apparently not enough time has elapsed for this. Anaru, like Jinta, carries her own scars of jealousy towards Menma. As a kid she was jealous of her, and one can easily conclude this to be the reason as to why she had chosen to remake herself to the image similar to that of her friends. Straight hair, contact lenses, fashionable, the very definition of someone aspiring to be the cream of the social crop. But, as we see, this wasn’t enough. She did it as a reaction to Menma, in order to beat her out for Jinta’s affection. but what happened after she died? She could have easily tried to fill in the gap in his heart after she died, but she didn’t. Menma was gone but she still couldn’t do a thing about her feelings for Jinta. The reason?

Guilt. This and, perhaps, an unfulfilled rivalry with Menma. Like Jinta she feels guilt for the way she thought of him, liking Menma as a friend but also hating her for her closeness to Jinta. She likely feels, like Jinta, a great sense of responsibility for what had happened to her. Anaru’s feelings of jealousy are still unresolved all these years since Menma died. She disliked her, saw her as a rival for Jinta, and probably believed she needed to beat her. How then can she beat her if she is already dead, and how can she make up for these feelings if she is no longer around? Guilt, like Jinta, is heavy baggage.

As for Yukiatsu… well… that’s almost obviously a result of ridiculous emotional suppression. He has, very likely, had a long and deep seated crush of Menma which was destroyed by her death. Everyone showed so far seems to have had their own defense mechanisms. Jinta is repressing the event, Anaru is projecting somewhat into Jinta and Poppa is most likely already using humor to live with it. Yukiatsu is, well, displacing. By displacing, I mean he’s privately performing an unconscious desire in the form of smelling Menma’s blouse. That’s not exactly a very healthy coping mechanism, though Jinta and Anaru aren’t exactly that much more mature than him. His displacement is often considered the worse form of a neurotic response, not to mention flat out creepy. Some believe that he will be the last character to find some sort of redemption and forgiveness. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen.

felix
2011-04-22, 09:39
Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.Thank god I wasn’t the only one to think that. Whatever buildup the episode had was just blown away for me when that happened; he’s like some kind of necro-pedophil or something—good thing the Japanese burn their dead.

Anyway besides that the execution was pretty nice. However still I kind of find Anjo’s fashion sense a little lacking (yes I’m talking about her damn hair).

applejuice
2011-04-22, 10:01
Again, very satisfying episode. A bit of soup opera vibe, but mixed very well.

Direction was top notch, also. A lot of scenes that triggers nostalgia were cleverly placed inbetween, camera angles were maximising that feeling of reflections and memories, especially when Poppo, Anaru and Jintan was playing Nokemon. I also loved the sticker part.

However, other two seems to be more complex friends in 'so called elite school'. I have feeling that something will go horribly wrong at some stage of the series, as current development seems to be awkwardly fast.

CWW
2011-04-22, 10:10
I wouldn't say Anaru is fashionable - she and her group of friends seem more like oddballs than prom queens - and she definitely isn't using contacts. You could see her wearing glasses in the garden, then taking them off in the house not a moment later.

The taped sticker on her GBA SP speaks volumes on how she feels about Menma. She resented her to a degree, sure, but I'm sure most of it was jealousy and now that she's gone there's nothing to be jealous about.

Currently her guilt seems to reside in that she faults herself for Menma's death by asking that question on that day. If she hadn't then Jinta wouldn't have run off and things might have turned out differently. If she can overcome that then I'm sure she can leave the past behind.

ID555
2011-04-22, 10:45
Eps1-2

Pretty good stuff. More sombre than comedic slice of life, some teen angst, yet every episode gets my complete attention.

When's Junta going to realise she's a real ghost?

Haru~
2011-04-22, 10:48
This anime revived my love of anime. The emotions it possess, the pacing, the story.... It captures my heart. Well, I'm being cheesy but that's what I feel right now.
Those little things in episode 2 like finding the nokemon (Pokemon>_<) for Menma and Menma thanking while putting her head on his shoulder made me teared up a bit.
And I only felt this kind of love to an anime in two episodes is when I watched my most favorite anime, Honey and Clover. They gave me the same feeling.
Anyway, something creeped out of me a bit.
Yukiatsu sniffing out the smell of what to be Menma's old dress.
Still, Menma x Jintan is the best but Anaru x Jintan is good also.

FireChick
2011-04-22, 10:50
Awwww! This episode was soooo cute and sweet! And Pokemon and Wandering Son references galore!:D

Blue-kun
2011-04-22, 11:14
That was really good! It's probably my favourite episode from this season so far, hitting all the right spots perfectly.

Like people assumed, it did turn out to be a story of Jinta slowly working his way towards his old friends and re-establishing their past friendship. And hell, did it do a good job at that. Like Haru~ said, the whole Nokemon theme just fell so well. It's something most viewers around my age can relate, because we also spent countless hours with our friends trying to get rare Pokémons and battling it out, so everything felt quite genuine, real. It also made me realize how old I'm getting, which isn't a very good thing, but I'll let that slide just because of how heartwarming it felt! :heh:

That said, applejuice does have a point that if things keep on going like this, by the halfway point Jintan would probably have regained every friend he'd lost. Even the two other kids - Tsuruko and Yukiatsu - seemed to still sympathize with Jintan, the former when she got mad at Anaru for her half-assed arguments and the latter when suggesting the cable trade to Poppo. Then again, it might just be that the series will keep pumping episodes like this one, and not go for a too melodramatic approach. If we get more Nokemons (and Dojimons), I sure wouldn't mind it!

NOKEMON GETTO DA ZE! :heh:

Soconfused
2011-04-22, 11:25
Guh, I don't know if I'll be able to get through this show intact. I was on the verge for a second there. had to fight them back. :(

awesome second ep, pretty much cemented it as my favorite series of the season. I can't wait to see Jinta in school, should have some good drama going on.

broken270
2011-04-22, 11:29
Another good episode. Definitely the best this series and stretching to best this entire year.

I am glad to see that Poppo has not changed much. He is still the happy-go-lucky kid despite not going to school and instead traveling all over the world. That has to be some part time job if he has gone to that many places. Still, it makes me wonder that it is almost too good to be true, almost as if there should be something more about him that just that. Well, if there is nothing else, then that is good enough. Anyway, Poppo seems like the easiest to talk to, now that he automatically accepts the fact that Menma is still around in this world. He even tries to call for her, despite knowing that she invisible in his eyes. Poppo tries to think about what is the best way to make her soul in peace. His answer: Pokemon.

Well, we get to see Anaru and Tsuruko together. They do not seem to be in good terms, though. Anaru is still hanging out with her "influenced" friends, and Tsuruko manages to overhear her friends badmouthing Jinta. She immediately walks away, and Anaru decides to go after her. It is a shame that they had to call each other by different names; are they that distant from each other. In any case, Tsuruko is ashamed of Anaru for hanging out with those friends, even going as far as pointing out that she is just trying to be like Menma, which is true to a point. Anaru has a love/hate relationship with Menma. Although she loves her for her personality and admires her, she hates her for the fact that she is that close to Jinta, whom she has feelings for. Even when Menma was giving her matching stickers, she still tried to take that sticker away. She, too, thinks it is her fault that caused the death of her dear friend. If it was not for her for making such an awkward atmosphere, maybe none of this would have happened. Yet, Anaru clings on to what she has now other than what she feels.

Jinta goes to the game shop that Anaru is working part-time on. As already stated, Poppo thought Pokemon was the key to get her to rest in peace. It looks like Anaru still holds feelings for Jinta even now. Jinta cannot worry about that right now, for his main goal is to try out the idea Poppo mentioned. So, Jinta decides to spend the entire play playing Pokemon Gold. Ah, the memories of the old Pokemon games. I am glad that Menma decided to come back to his place, despite having been yelled at a while ago. Jinta naming the character after Menma was very cute.

The next day arrives, and Poppo and Yukiatsu banged into each other during one's part time job and the other's morning jog. It looks like even Yukiatsu is calling friends with traditional naming as well. Poppo seems to be the only one who probably thinks that everyone he meets is still his friend, while still making sure he does not make anybody angry. As soon as he mentions Menma and Jinta, he makes that sour face once more. Does he really love Menme that much and hate Jinta due to jealousy? Anyway, Nice service from Menma, and, although it was not much, it still made Jinta notice that she is a girl, and a matured one to that. Poppo comes into his house and eats breakfast with her. So she can eat and touch objects, but water cannot touch her? Anyway, Jinta suggest that they should play pokemon with other people, and who better to ask that the one person who may still be holing onto it from the past.

Anaru still cares about the gang, but only silently. She does not seem too happy that Poppo returned and Jinta came back to her place. I loved the fact that Poppo practically makes himself at home anywhere, and even calling friends by nicknames. How carefree can he get? The more surprising thing that I find is that Menma, despite being a ghost, tries to not interfere with Anaru and her mother. The three even went to her room to look for Pokemon Gold, and Menma was still outside of the loop. Jinta manages to bring her to the room and see what was up. It is nice to have nostalgic times and doing things that you once did when you were a kid. It seems like Anaru was an otaku herself in the past. So the three of them manage to play a lot until they finally completed the goal in which they were supposed to acquire. When Jinta and Anaru clapped hands and Anaru was staring at him with those eyes, I cannot help but think that she should just break up with those friends and hang out with Jinta and Poppo more. The same with Truruko and Yukiatsu. Wow, even link cables? How long has it been since I have seen those? Those were nostalgic times.

Well, it is going to take more that finding a rare Pokemon to get her to rest in peace. What else could it be that she wished to be fulfilled that required all five of them. Could it be that her wish is to get the team to be back once more in the same secret base and doing the same silly things that they would usually do with her? I hope that is the case, although it is going to be hard. Tsuruko may be the next person. She seems to harbor feelings for Yukiatsu, but still holds some things from the past, despite being the most mature and moved on. She may be easier to get than Yukiatsu, who still has feelings for Menma and has a mental rivalry with Jinta. I guess I just have to keep on watching and see.

tezu
2011-04-22, 12:25
I feel a bit like an outsider because I just can't seem to get into the series. Don't get me wrong, the second episode was great (Anaru is <3) and it did even better than the first episode in my opinion (unlike HanaIro, which sort of went downward after episode 1, the moment the pervy writer appeared). I really want to be fair and love the series, it's brillantly executed (except for those "matured!Menma makes Jinta awkward" moments) and has astonishing character designs, but I just can't help but to be bothered by the premise of the series.

First off, I don't like the fact that they use a ghost as a catalyst. Menma seems to be more than just a hallucination and the fact that she is there, interacting with Jinta and guiding him like a real person sort of leaves an odd aftertaste. So what if the ghost never appeared? Jinta would've stayed a shut-in. Is she just a hallucination? Apparently not, she can open doors (when she enters her house in ep1) and interact with puppies. Which means the ghost is somewhat real. And that's what I don't like: While I can tolerate unrealistic anime humour in slice-of-life series (character archtypes, weird antics), I have my difficulties with ghostly protagonists.

Another premise of the series are the protagonists' past relationships with each other. Young Anaru liked Jinta, young Yukiatsu liked Menma, young Jinta and young Menma obviously liked each other and who knows, young Tsuruko might have had a thing for Yukiatsu. I don't know how old they were back then, but seeing that they are now in their teens, they must have been elementary schoolers. And I've never liked complicated love triangles among little kids. It certainly is a nice setup for drama, though. Maybe it could've been better if they'd started out as high school friends, then fallen out with each other as college students. But that's just my personal opinion.

That's why I can't make up my mind about AnoHana at all...maybe the following episodes will be full of awesome so that I will eventually forget about the two things the entire series is based on...But it will never surpass or be on par with series like Honey and Clover.

Spring 2011 is quite the slice-of-life season :D

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-22, 12:36
I can't tell you how delighted I am that this unapologetically sentimental slice-of-life show appears to be winning viewers - and hearts - both in Japan and the West. I'm as pleased as I am surprised.

I'm reminded of a quote attributed to the Jesuits: "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man". I think it's fascinating to see how the dynamics of both the Busters personalities and their relationships with each other were effectively set when they were ragamuffins playing Nokemon Gold, and have changed so little when they're in HS.

I also think the topic of "moving on" vs. holding on to the memory of a deceased loved one is a major theme this show is going to explore. You see the same dynamic with the Busters as you do with Menma's family - some have moved on (or tell themselves they have) some have not. As for Tsuruko, she does remain the biggest cipher of the group so far. I take the view that the reason she walked out of "WcDonalds" and lashed out at Anaru was because Anaru didn't defend Jinta vigorously enough - or even better, walk out. Yes, Tsuruko does appear to be something of a stuck-up you-know-what, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I think the scene with Anaru's "friends" brought out the worst in Tsuruko.

diabolistic
2011-04-22, 12:52
Wow, the ending song was a nostalgia bomb. Now I just need to find the artist.

OceanBlue
2011-04-22, 12:54
Wow, the ending song was a nostalgia bomb. Now I just need to find the artist.
The ED is sung by the seiyuu, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the single releases the 27th in Japan. I can't wait!

TinyRedLeaf
2011-04-22, 13:37
I feel a bit like an outsider because I just can't seem to get into the series.

First off, I don't like the fact that they use a ghost as a catalyst... While I can tolerate unrealistic anime humour in slice-of-life series (character archtypes, weird antics), I have my difficulties with ghostly protagonists.

...And I've never liked complicated love triangles among little kids. It certainly is a nice setup for drama, though. Maybe it could've been better if they'd started out as high school friends, then fallen out with each other as college students. But that's just my personal opinion.

Just a short note to say that you're not alone. The whole device of a walking, talking ghost makes the drama a bit too far-fetched for me as well. It also cheapens the friends' healing process, I feel. Death is supposed to be final — that's what makes it devastating, after all. All the things you should have said and done but didn't, they are the reasons the regrets are so heavy and painful.

Having a ghost a catalyst, well, it works as a device, I guess. But it detracts from Jinta's supposed willingness to pull himself back together for the sake of his friends — and himself.

I suppose, then, it's all the heartfelt feelings between childhood friends who have grown apart that is making this show a hit for so many. Unfortunately, that's not something I identify with, at my age. Miss friends? Give them a call, and laugh over how we've not changed much over the years (well, we're a bit greyer and rounder, perhaps, but in all the essential things like personality and quirks,there are no real differences).

Once you've parted with enough people in life, you'd realise it's not that big of a deal at all, especially if you make the effort to keep in touch.

felix
2011-04-22, 14:00
I think for many it works not as a romantic plot device but more like a “expectation of the other person seing and hearing ghost-tan” plot device. It also gives a nice and fresh feel to conversations. For example, the usual hate/drama talk is really old, and I mean really really old. I’m sure most people here have heard that kind of conversation a hundred times; for me at least they just pass though one ear and exit though the other. However, because ghost-tan is there it’s suddenly interesting, especially when the subject of what they are talking is her. It’s still average drama in the end, but it has some spice to it which makes it enjoyable (in it’s own way).

TinyRedLeaf
2011-04-22, 14:22
I think for many it works not as a romantic plot device but more like a “expectation of the other person seing and hearing ghost-tan” plot device. It also gives a nice and fresh feel to conversations. For example, the usual hate/drama talk is really old, and I mean really really old. I’m sure most people here have heard that kind of conversation a hundred times; for me at least they just pass though one ear and exit though the other. However, because ghost-tan is there it’s suddenly interesting, especially when the subject of what they are talking is her. It’s still average drama in the end, but it has some spice to it which makes it enjoyable (in it’s own way).

I find that dead people, especially those who had been very important, tend to have a bigger presence precisely because of their absence.

Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid. Still, you do have a point: it is a refreshing device. Off-hand, I can't think of another show that so blatantly features a ghost. Hikaru no Go, perhaps, but that's a comedy/sports series shooting for a very different effect.

FlareKnight
2011-04-22, 14:33
Well I liked this episode. It was a good chance to get into the heads of more of the friends and make a little progress on bringing the shattered friendship back together. The power of Pokemon conquers all :D!

One has to be impressed at the amount of stuff Anaru has stored away there. Going to her house was definitely the right move. Plus it helped to slowly restore things between them. I don't think it'll be easy for Jinta to return to school, but good on Anaru for bringing it up. While I think Jinta is going to be busy on this mission to keep the promise to Menma I still wish Anaru luck in getting her feelings across this time. There was definitely a conflict of feelings when it came to Menma for her. Obviously she cared about her friend and with someone like that who couldn't help but like her? But being that kind of girl Menma had Jinta's focus and Anaru couldn't help but see herself as unappealing. Hopefully by the end of this she can fully resolve everything.

Poppo is one heck of a guy. He's just jumped into this thing and put all he has to it. Of course considering the traveling he's done the guy seems like the type to always be on an adventure. Not sure how things will go long term for him since he's not in school and working already. Still without him there wouldn't be much traction in getting the friendships back together. Do wonder if he has anything hidden away though since the others all seem to have heavy things weighing on them.
This episode pulled on a different heart-string, which worked a lot better on me: nostalgia. It really hit me hard. I was very impressed by the direction and the pacing of this episode. I thought the first episode introduced to much characters at once, but in restrospect, this was a very good move.

I was surprised Anal (I chuckle every time someone calls her that now... damnit) opened up so fast. I thought she'd be one of the hardest to "get". The hardest one to deal with will most likely be Tsukuro, in my opinion. I get the feeling she was a lot more jealous of Menma than Anal was, and that she still resents her to this day. As such, I disagree she's the most mature of the cast. She just acts like she is.

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.I'm not too surprised that Anaru opened up that fast. While she has plenty of issues to deal with, if the right chance to get back into Jinta's life showed up I thought she'd take it. Her feelings are pretty obvious and no matter how tsundere she chooses to be staying away would be tough.

Do agree that Tsukuro will be the toughest to reel in. While she threw a lot at Anaru she seems to be fitting right into a cliche herself. She acts distant, is pretty hard to talk to, and talks down to others. Does feel like she's trying to act a lot more mature while she has just as many problems as the rest of them.

To be fair with Yukiatsu how do we know he didn't just have to settle on the dress? Another good question is how the heck did he get a hold of it :heh:? Did he go to her house to pay his respects and then sneak off to take whatever he could? He's definitely got some things to work past also.

I find that dead people, especially those who had been very important, tend to have a bigger presence precisely because of their absence.

Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid. Still, you do have a point: it is a refreshing device. Off-hand, I can't think of another show that so blatantly features a ghost. Hikaru no Go, perhaps, but that's a comedy/sports series shooting for a very different effect.I think the series has done a pretty good job of showing how Menma's absence has hit the group. Her presence is necessary to help force those friends into action again. Sometimes just not being there can make things happen, but in this case for something positive to happen she needs to be there in some form.

But do think everyone has their own feeling on how Menma is involved in the series and can't say you are wrong.

felix
2011-04-22, 14:43
Anyone know which was written first (or started first), between Anohana and Iroha?100I find that dead people, especially those who had been very important, tend to have a bigger presence precisely because of their absence.You have to take into consideration the target audience. Because we’re talking about kid-love into young-love it’s obviously not the kind of show that people who put a lot of thought/pain into death would be watching—you just happen to be a exception. Death (in the case of the show) is more like Game Over, and the kids here just got a Continue. :heh: Just my take on it.

Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid.Well, I don’t think you can get the same attachment to the main characters (Meiko and Jinta) from only kids flashbacks. For me the flashbacks weren’t very emotional (compared to the present-drama), and as was mentioned earlier, it’s hard to take seriously a “complicated” love triangle between little kids—in my opinion the shows greatest weakness.

I think the series has done a pretty good job of showing how Menma's absence has hit the group.It’s somewhat overdone here and there. I was really happy when Tetsudo joined in, his non-emo attitude was refreshing to the story.

kir44n
2011-04-22, 14:53
This show so far is absolutely amazing. The portrayal and conveyance of emotion is unmatched. The sense of nostalgia from the (p)nokemon in the second episode alone is immense. Anaru seemed so b*tchy in the first episode, only to show that she was still the same otaku girl in the second (showing that menma's thoughts on Anaru were more accurate than Jintans).

From the limited information we have on hand, I think that Jintan only became a shut-in recently. As the the japanese school system starts & ends their years during the spring time, and that the show is set 5 years after the "Incident", I would wager that this puts all the characters as 1st years in High School. I'm wagering his shut-in period began with his failure to get into the good high school and the corresponding stigma associated with Failure in Japan.

He continuosly goes on about Menma being a manifestation of his "stress" and "trauma" (he mentions both), so I don't think he's residual feelings about Menma were the SOLE cause of his failure (though it may be the biggest). Alot of Anaru's issues were pretty much brought out into the open with this second episode, though I think alot of her previous animosity towards Jintan can be pretty much be blamed on his Shut-in change. Hell, if the guy you likes suddenly becomes a super-loser over failing an entrance exam, I'm sure you'd be pissed for him not living up to your expectations.

I just have no clue where they'll be going with Tsuroko & Yukiatsu. They are shown the least of the 5, and we have the least insight into their mindsets. We know Yukiatsu is very unpleasant to Jintan, most likely in jealously over Menma. But...her is a disturbing thought, that comes from 2 bits of information from both episodes. 1)While he's a dick to Jintan in the first episode, he isn't blaming Jintan for her death. If he is loves menma to the point of sniffing her dress, why the hell isn't he? and 2) He has her dress. The dress that, unless they show otherwise, she probably died in. I'll postulate that he had a hand in her death (And could very well be more shocking, depressing plot twist later in the show).

I'll end my comments so far with Tsuroko. While she's seen associating with Yukiatsu, it's also shown that their interactions are...offbeat. And the most emotion we see from her so far, are when she gets upset at Anaru's friends to insulting Jintan. Is this out of simple defensiveness over an old friend, or did she also fancy the groups leader. Or is the situation between her & Yukiatsu darker than his dress-sniffing-ness implies? Speculation and drama ensues.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-22, 15:28
It might be nit-picking but I would say Jinta is a hikikomori, not a NEET. I think it's an important distinction.

deadite
2011-04-22, 15:28
Current theory is that Menma is balancing herself on the bridge railing seen in the OP and in the promotional image (where she is balancing) and Yuukii confessed to her which gives her a shock and falls down.

kitten320
2011-04-22, 15:33
Just a short note to say that you're not alone. The whole device of a walking, talking ghost makes the drama a bit too far-fetched for me as well. It also cheapens the friends' healing process, I feel. Death is supposed to be final — that's what makes it devastating, after all. All the things you should have said and done but didn't, they are the reasons the regrets are so heavy and painful.

Having a ghost a catalyst, well, it works as a device, I guess. But it detracts from Jinta's supposed willingness to pull himself back together for the sake of his friends — and himself.

I suppose, then, it's all the heartfelt feelings between childhood friends who have grown apart that is making this show a hit for so many. Unfortunately, that's not something I identify with, at my age. Miss friends? Give them a call, and laugh over how we've not changed much over the years (well, we're a bit greyer and rounder, perhaps, but in all the essential things like personality and quirks,there are no real differences).

Once you've parted with enough people in life, you'd realise it's not that big of a deal at all, especially if you make the effort to keep in touch.

It really isn't that simple especially when it comes to good childhood friends with whom you eventually fell apart... and it is even worse when you don't know the reason.

While here we do have a reason and it is not far fetched for them to fall apart.

Besides without ghost I don't see why Jintan would try to intereact with them after such a long time. There should have been a push of some sort.

The only problem with the ghost I see is that she is way too realistic looking to the point that Jintan can actually feel her like if she was real. I think it would'vr been better if she was slightly more transperent.

Anh_Minh
2011-04-22, 16:03
That's not how I read the scene. They were seriously, openly, and loudly despising Jinta. And Anaru didn't say anything. I'm sure there were all kinds of good reasons to keep her mouth shut, but I can't fault Tsuruko for walking out, either.

I think the appearance, the high school were just excuses. I don't think it's even about cruelty - it's about loyalty. To her, Anaru picked her present friends over her old ones.

Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.
Is it? I read that smell is the best sense to stimulate memory. Though yeah, it does beg the question of why he has that dress.

felix
2011-04-22, 16:15
Is it? I read that smell is the best sense to stimulate memory.Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.

CWW
2011-04-22, 16:33
That's not how I read the scene. They were seriously, openly, and loudly despising Jinta. And Anaru didn't say anything. I'm sure there were all kinds of good reasons to keep her mouth shut, but I can't fault Tsuruko for walking out, either.
What was Anaru supposed to say? Jinta is absent from school for a long period after all. She even bemoaned him in the first episode for playing hooky and rightly so. As much of a trauma it was, it's five years ago. He needs to pick himself up and think about his future. So what if people have preconceptions of you? These things happen whether he likes it or not.

Haak
2011-04-22, 16:33
Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.

Fortunately I haven't yet learned the pain of having a close loved one die that would cause me considerable grief so I don't know if him sniffing that dress is really normal or not. It did strike me as a little weird though. Perhaps that's why he was so confrontational to Jintan when he brought Menma up. It could be some sort of Reaction Formation.

tsunade666
2011-04-22, 16:40
Even if the girl is not dead or alive. Sniffing a dress of an opposite sex is already not normal. If the girl is dead it could be he is remembering her but still the dress is from the past and they are still kids back then. That one alone is kinda wrong and if the girl is alive and your sniffing her used dress. Its more abnormal.

minagoroshi-hen
2011-04-22, 16:52
Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.

You're acting as if real people are flawless. I agree that it was a bit creepy but (hopefully) this doesn't have shounen-like characters with everything painted in black and white. He has his flaws just like everyone else in the show. They wouldn't be realistic if they weren't flawed. People are making too much of this.

It's abnormal, I agree. However, we shouldn't judge him yet. It's easy to hate on him without knowing the circumstances.

Anh_Minh
2011-04-22, 17:11
What was Anaru supposed to say? Jinta is absent from school for a long period after all. She even bemoaned him in the first episode for playing hooky and rightly so. As much of a trauma it was, it's five years ago. He needs to pick himself up and think about his future. So what if people have preconceptions of you? These things happen whether he likes it or not.

Yes. But if it was your friend they were badmouthing, would you feel like staying there to hear it?

ars89
2011-04-22, 17:16
Poppo hasn't changed a bit, he's the best.

Tsuruko seems to be the most interesting and changed one of them all.

Yukiatsu is totally a creeper. I feel he'll be the last to convert.

Naruko seems to not have changed at all, as noted by Menma.

Jinta actually had fun in a long time. Hopefully Menma's reappearance gets him out of his hole.

I feel Menma is more than just a ghost. She's able to interact with the world even though she can't be seen. Maybe she came back to bring everyone together again.

Pokemon reference was so nostalgic.

hero147
2011-04-22, 17:18
Am I the only one who was not grossed out by Yukiatsu's smelling scene? I understand the gesture and the same concept was applied in Clannad as well. The only thing creepy about the scene is how he got Menma's dress.

felix
2011-04-22, 17:30
It's abnormal, I agree. However, we shouldn't judge him yet. It's easy to hate on him without knowing the circumstances.I’m not judging him yet, I said “antagonist” not “bad guy”. And he and the others are plenty flawed as is, the scene was not really necessary if that was the point. Well, anyway, time will tell.

Westlo
2011-04-22, 17:31
I'm struggling to remember the first two episodes of an anime that has impressed me as much as this has.

Yes. But if it was your friend they were badmouthing, would you feel like staying there to hear it?

Well I think she was too distracted to say anything by the thought of Jinta having wet dreams about her lol. I really don't fault Tsuruko's behavior at all, from her perspective Naruko half heartily defended one insult (I think she did enough) and than said nothing (since she was uh blushing lol, but Tsuruko didn't see that) to another and had enough. What she said about Naruko was also correct, harsh but correct.

I think most people assume that Tsuruko has feelings for dress sniffer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mix it up and it's actually Jinta she has feelings for. Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode. It also keeps up her resentment for Menma and people not getting over her as well as another factor in why she blasted Naruko. Not likely but I wouldn't be surprised....

Anh_Minh
2011-04-22, 17:33
Am I the only one who was not grossed out by Yukiatsu's smelling scene? I understand the gesture and the same concept was applied in Clannad as well. The only thing creepy about the scene is how he got Menma's dress.

No, I'm pretty much the same. I think I'd feel differently if Menma was alive and he'd stolen her laundry, but as it is...

I think most people assume that Tsuruko has feelings for dress sniffer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mix it up and it's actually Jinta she has feelings for. Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode. It also keeps up her resentment for Menma and people not getting over her as well as another factor in why she blasted Naruko. Not likely but I wouldn't be surprised....
Yeah, in the first ep, I thought she liked Jinta too. Now, I'm not sure.

CWW
2011-04-22, 17:36
If I happen to agree, and Anaru seems to with slightly less harsh words, then yes.

Besides, it wasn't that bad to warrant a hissy fit. "He's a shut-in." Well, that's true I suppose. "I wouldn't want to be associated with him." You're free to. "He's probably fantasizing about you." Gosh, I am so outraged I am leaving right now! Begone, fiends!

Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode.
I got the opposite impression. The "What are you getting so worked up over?" makes her seem she didn't care one bit and just wanted to go home.

tezu
2011-04-22, 17:49
Well, I'm happy I'm not the only one who is somewhat sceptical about the ghost, then :D When I read the synopsis, there was no mention about Menma being dead/a ghost, so I was completely surprised when I watched the first episode...Imagine how brillant this series could've been without the ghost constantly chatting with Jintan...

Besides without ghost I don't see why Jintan would try to intereact with them after such a long time. There should have been a push of some sort.

The only problem with the ghost I see is that she is way too realistic looking to the point that Jintan can actually feel her like if she was real. I think it would'vr been better if she was slightly more transperent.
That's exactly what my problem is: Jintan needs a ghost to push him. Everyone gets back together because of a ghost, not because they themselves are brave enough to reunite again. Slice-of-life series usually claim to be, well, about life, and having a ghost helping you is a little off. If Menma had appeared in a dream and asked Jinta to reconcile the gang, then her appearance could be explained as a psychological phenomenon. But she's always accompanying him and influencing others as well: Remember when she hugged Anaru in ep1? Anaru felt the weight. The puppy barked at her and she can open doors. She is almost like a half-materialized being, not a manifestation of Jintan's desire to return to normalcy. Menma is real and not a result of Jintan's stress. That's why, in spite of their interactions, I can't really feel any connection to Menma and Jintan which is sad, because the story revolves around these two.

CWW
2011-04-22, 18:21
Slice-of-life series usually claim to be, well, about life, and having a ghost helping you is a little off.
This is a misconception. There are quite a a few slice of life series out there that have supernatural elements in them. Haruhi, Clannad, Kamichu, Dennou Coil and Natsume Yuujinchou to name a few have supernatural elements. Hell, Nichijou of the current season has a robot and a talking cat.

The journey is what's important and using a spirit as a cataclyst is a choice of the creator. Sometimes they use a doppleganger, like in Cross Game, which is a bit out of the realm of believable too. Personally, I think it's refreshing that they dabble into the supernatural and make no pretense about it.

You may disagree, and truth be told it was pretty weird to see Menma eat meat, but it works as storytelling.

tezu
2011-04-22, 19:12
This is a misconception. There are quite a a few slice of life series out there that have supernatural elements in them. Haruhi, Clannad, Kamichu, Dennou Coil and Natsume Yuujinchou to name a few have supernatural elements. Hell, Nichijou of the current season has a robot and a talking cat.

The journey is what's important and using a spirit as a cataclyst is a choice of the creator. Sometimes they use a doppleganger, like in Cross Game, which is a bit out of the realm of believable too. Personally, I think it's refreshing that they dabble into the supernatural and make no pretense about it.

You may disagree, and truth be told it was pretty weird to see Menma eat meat, but it works as storytelling.

Haha yeah, where did the meat go to, anyway? And not to forget, ghost!Menma even took a bath and obviosly aged/matured while she was dead :/ (at least Jinta always emphasizes that)

Anyway, I think the ghost thing is just a matter of personal taste. I accept the fact that some people like it and some people dislike it. I also agree that there are slice-of-life series with supernatural elements. Series like Natsume Yuujinchou, or Mushishi and Aria are slice-of-life but the world they are set in is a different one from ours. Aria is set in an utopia, Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou in a world in which spirits officially exist. Events concerning these spirits can be applied to human emotions and relationships, it's a whole different level on which they approach life.
AnoHana however has that typical drama-vibe, the sort of drama that could happen in our own reality. It seems to approach life from the "normal" angle and is set in our ordinary world (with Pokemon references even!), yet it tries to add a supernatural element that in this context seems out of place. I guess that's what I was trying to express with "not slice-of-life like", I didn't mean that supernatural series can't be slice of life, but that there are certain slice-of-life "types" that don't go well with supernatural elements (imagine Honey and Clover or Toradora with ghosts)...but I am rambling. It's only how I personally feel though and I think we can agree to disagree here :D

Proto
2011-04-22, 19:30
Magical Realism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_realism). It has been around for more than 100 years now. I don't know what people keep getting uppity about.

totoum
2011-04-22, 20:35
I have no problem with Menma being a ghost though I can see where tezu is coming from but there's one thing I strongly disagree with

Jintan needs a ghost to push him. Everyone gets back together because of a ghostnot because they themselves are brave enough to reunite again.(...)If Menma had appeared in a dream and asked Jinta to reconcile the gang, then her appearance could be explained as a psychological phenomenon.

I can't quite figure out how to say this but I hope I'll make myself understandable.

You say Gintan needs a ghost to push him,I say that's not the case at all,because Gintan doesn't know she's a ghost,he assumes that it's a psychological phenomenon.So all of his actions have been the same as if Menma was just a delusion of his not because she's a ghost.
So so far Menma being a ghost or a delusion has had no effect on the character's decisions.

DragoZERO
2011-04-22, 21:11
Excellent episode, truly. I do agree that the dress thing is creepy.

Oh, and it looks like everyone liked each other but the only ones with common feelings were Menma and Gintan. I find it a little weird since they were so young, I don't think kids would develop those kinds of feelings at such a young age. Maybe things are different in Japan since the opposite usually had cooties at that age where I grew up.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-22, 21:23
All of us often need a push to get going or to do what is best. I don't think Menma being a ghost cheapens anything. Not for me, anyway.

I should add that although I am tentatively thinking she is a ghost, she might well just be a psychological phenomenon of Jintan's.

As for Yukiatsu's little treasure, I can't say I mind, although it was surprising and somewhat creepy to see him with it. I choose to think only of the fact that it shows his affection for Menma. As well as the contrast with his image as a straight student.

This reminds me of the news that Yuuki Aoi is contributing a dress to a charity auction for the earthquake. It's a dress she has worn on TV, but she makes the point in her blog that it has been cleaned and has no dirt or smells on it. In her 2channel thread, several posters have said that the dress having been washed reduces its value. I suspect Ao-chan occasionally braves the undoubted creepiness of that thread (too creepy for me to quote) and as a bit of an otaku herself, knows how some otaku can be.

Texas84
2011-04-22, 21:29
Great episode. Just finished Madoka Magica so I was kind of a mess when I started this. So I lost it when they showed the taped sticker. Totally lost it. :D

germanturkey
2011-04-22, 21:57
at the taped sticker, i was like dawwwwwwww. are you sure that's a dress and not just a towel?

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-22, 22:01
Aw, everyone is going crazy for the Pokemon reference but no one else noticed the Wandering Son posters in the game store?
Anyway, I'm also surprised at how fast the old gang is starting to come back together, although I think it'll take a little longer for Anaru to come around. Also, someone else pointed it out earlier, but I'm wondering if we'll have a big, mid-season twist that will set back all of Jinta's progress, the show clearly likes tugging on heartstrings so I'm half expecting a bit shock later on.

kyouray
2011-04-22, 22:38
Anaru getto ! :D

I should add that although I am tentatively thinking she is a ghost, she might well just be a psychological phenomenon of Jintan's.
It should be something more complex since Anaru felt Menma's weight in the 1st episode.

This reminds me of the news that Yuuki Aoi is contributing a dress to a charity auction for the earthquake. It's a dress she has worn on TV, but she makes the point in her blog that it has been cleaned and has no dirt or smells on it. In her 2channel thread, several posters have said that the dress having been washed reduces its value. I suspect Ao-chan occasionally braves the undoubted creepiness of that thread (too creepy for me to quote) and as a bit of an otaku herself, knows how some otaku can be.
:heh:

To my mind this scene doesn't bother me. As Anh_Minh said it'd be different if Menma was alive and he'd stolen her laundry. I mean Menma's dead and he only has her dress as memory he can cherish so sniffing isn't so weird.

FatPianoBoy
2011-04-22, 22:59
Genderswap the clothes sniffing scene. Still creepy?

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-22, 23:03
Genderswap the clothes sniffing scene. Still creepy?
For me, yep. Dunno why but to me it doesn't matter whose sniffing whatever article of clothing someone else wore, it just seems really strange to me.

FatPianoBoy
2011-04-22, 23:17
Scent is strongly tied to memory, so seeking a person's scent when you're thinking of them isn't that strange; especially if they've been dead for years. I don't understand why everything has to be interpreted sexually. I do wonder how he got her dress, though.

frubam
2011-04-22, 23:22
I am not so sure Menma's a ghost. I did think so until I saw her eat the meat. After that, I was under the impression that she really was a figment of his imagination(or 'stress' as he puts it). If it WAS a ghost, the meat would have it the floor when she 'ate' it. I think us seeing her eat it is a psychological illusion through Jinta's eyes.

Despite Anaru not standing up for Jinta when she was with her friends, I was surprised that she was so heavily into games and manga. She is cute in her own way, and physically, with that hairstyle and occasional glasses, looked adorable =03. It was nice to see her and Jinta(with Poppo) on friendly terms and hanging out with each other.

As far as the Yukiteiru(?) sniffing thing goes, it's rude to say its abnormal or weird. I suppose that's how society sees it though. Through personal experience, I can say that I do something similar, but it doesn't stem from some sick perverse fantasy, like some of you make it out to be, but rather a powerful sense of longing and attachment to that person whose scent you are smelling. I DO wonder how the hell he could have gotten such a thing though :uhoh:. I wouldn't be surprised if......

Anyway, does anyone know what exactly Jinta's certificates were for?

OceanBlue
2011-04-23, 00:36
I am not so sure Menma's a ghost. I did think so until I saw her eat the meat. After that, I was under the impression that she really was a figment of his imagination(or 'stress' as he puts it). If it WAS a ghost, the meat would have it the floor when she 'ate' it. I think us seeing her eat it is a psychological illusion through Jinta's eyes.
We might be going about this ghost thing the wrong way. She might be a ghost, but she might be able to do unconventional things such as interact with the environment and eat. I still think she's been in too many scenes without Jinta to mean she was a figment of his imagination.

Tu101uk
2011-04-23, 00:42
As far as the Yukiteiru(?) sniffing thing goes, it's rude to say its abnormal or weird. I suppose that's how society sees it though. Through personal experience, I can say that I do something similar, but it doesn't stem from some sick perverse fantasy, like some of you make it out to be, but rather a powerful sense of longing and attachment to that person whose scent you are smelling. I DO wonder how the hell he could have gotten such a thing though :uhoh:. I wouldn't be surprised if......
Methinks it's the fact that he's got something of Menma's (her dress, from the looks of things) that is creeping everyone out, not necessarily that he's doing the action of sniffing to remember someone by...

Anyways, great series is great so far. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories (think Stand By Me and similar stuff) and this is no exception. I'm absolutely compelled to continue watching this group of teens (and a ghost/hallucination/"stress"/"trauma"/whatever you want to call Menma XD) and how they've changed from when they were kids (especially after "the incident"), as well as (eventually) how they'll continue to develop as they rediscover their bonds with each other. So far, the "easy" ones have been reeled in and we're only in episode 2, meaning that there'll be a bit more angst (especially from Yukiatsu) to come - I suspect some sort of bust-up that'll temporarily split the newly-reformed group up for a couple of episodes before we get our bittersweet (and most probably tear-worthy) ending...

...and by the way, Anaru (lol) has been totally redeemed in my eyes. First episode didn't really put her in the greatest light (I mean, how could someone go from a cute otaku/meganekko to being "one of the gals"? >.< Time changes certain people so much, I know exactly what that feels like), but the second episode totally blew that wide open - you can change what you look like, but you can't hide who you really are forever, it seems ^_^. +1 for someone rooting for her to confess to Jinta and moving on... :3

O-O~

Mr.Garfield
2011-04-23, 00:53
...and by the way, Anaru (lol) has been totally redeemed in my eyes. First episode didn't really put her in the greatest light (I mean, how could someone go from a cute otaku/meganekko to being "one of the gals"?), but the second episode totally blew that wide open - you can change what you look like, but you can't hide who you really are forever, it seems ^_^. +1 for someone rooting for her to confess to Jinta and moving on... :3
Actually from the scene with her mom in ep1 i already thought she didn't change much at all (the outside yes but it's understandable for a girl her age). Maybe it's just my feeling but it seems ep2 has proven it for me.
and +1 for Jintan x Anaru :)

Malkuth
2011-04-23, 01:19
Becoming an adult and entering their society seems to be a major theme in both of Mari's shows this season. Here though, it seems to be an escape from childhood trauma, rather than a forced objective as in iroha for the main cast. All of the characters to a great extent are unable to move on with their lives and are reminiscent and/or regretful of their childhood.

What can I say, nice stuff, it's been a while since noitamina delivered an interesting, yet realistic story :heh:

Pellissier
2011-04-23, 01:26
About the speculation on what Menma is now, I don't think it's a mental image or hallucination because we have seen she can interact with objects and people of the real world (the glass at her home, the weight on Anaru's shoulder). Most likely a ghost, she actually reminds me a bit of a Poltergeist phenomena, because usually a Poltergeist occurs when there's a spirit of person who died with an unfulfilled wish. So the spirit comes back and haunts the people and the places he used to frequent when alive, until his wish is granted. When such condition is met, the spirit disappears.
Of course, the Poltergeist I've seen depicted so far mostly dealt with very angry, infuriated ghosts, which is not Menma's case. But the wish part is there. Finally note as "Poltergeist" literally means "noisy ghost" :p

Anyway, moving on I suspect that the sense of guilt for Menma's death is shared by several people and so far we've only seen part of it, in episode 1 it was shown to us how Jintan feels responsible for what happened. In episode 2, we learn that Anaru also feels responsible for having asked Jintan whether he liked Menma, thus igniting the chain of events who brought to the girl's death.

I expect to see similar feelings/stories from both Tsuruko and Yukiatsu in the upcoming episodes, they must have one major reason to feel guilty about that day. Also note when Tsuruko said to Anaru something like "you brought it to yourself and then cry over it", (pathetic) just like Yukiatsu".

At the same time, I don't think Poppo does have one. In facts he's the only one out of the five friends who doesn't appear to be changed in the years. He's also acting as the true catalyst of the story, since he's the one slowly putting the pieces together (in this episode, Jintan and Anaru's definitive (?) reconciliation).

So, as a brief outline.

Menma --> central theme
Jintan, Anaru --> moved by guilt, have been pushed to start going on.
Tsuruko, Yukiatsu --> moved by guilt but at this point of time still "frozen".
Poppo --> not moved by old senses, catalyst for the others' reunion.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-23, 01:30
...It should be something more complex since Anaru felt Menma's weight in the 1st episode....I forgot that: true. Could be some particular form of ghost, or something more complex. Figment of imagination seems out.

Soconfused
2011-04-23, 01:58
I just hope the others will be able to see her at some point in the series, or at least be able to "feel" her presence or something. Though I guess it's not entirely necessary if the whole thing is just about them getting back together as friends. I'm sure at the end of the series they'll all see her floating away into heaven after granting her wish. Jintan was sane all along!

Saturn Beaver
2011-04-23, 03:49
Methinks it's the fact that he's got something of Menma's (her dress, from the looks of things) that is creeping everyone out, not necessarily that he's doing the action of sniffing to remember someone by...

Yeah, I guess that it resembles a dress is something that creeps people out. If it's just a trinket or something that Menma gave Yukiatsu back then, which makes it the only thing that he has to remember her by, it's okay, but a dress...it seems unlikely that she gave him one, and the alternative that he stole it or something (because if I was a parent, I'm not giving my dead daughter's friend her clothes just because he ask me nicely) is a bit disturbing. Not to mention, there's a certain possibility too that she's wearing that clothes when she died, which is just an extra layer of creepy on the creepy flavored cake.

That being said, even with smell being the best way to relive memory or things like that, I still find it creepy as well. I don't know, if he just put in in his personal shrine to see it is one thing, but for me sniffing someone signifies a bit of intimacy, if only because it has to be close and personal unlike other senses like seeing or hearing that you can do over a distance. The fact that it's about his dead, no older than 8 years old crush really isn't helping any, at all.

tezu
2011-04-23, 05:06
I have no problem with Menma being a ghost though I can see where tezu is coming from but there's one thing I strongly disagree with

I can't quite figure out how to say this but I hope I'll make myself understandable.

You say Gintan needs a ghost to push him,I say that's not the case at all,because Gintan doesn't know she's a ghost,he assumes that it's a psychological phenomenon.So all of his actions have been the same as if Menma was just a delusion of his not because she's a ghost.
So so far Menma being a ghost or a delusion has had no effect on the character's decisions.
I understand what you mean, but if I saw a dead person, I'd naturally think it was a hallucination; common sense usually tells us that ghosts don't exist (except in fiction). And whether I interpret the phenomenon as a hallucination or a real ghost, I'd be influenced by it anyway. My point is that if ghost!Menma had never appeared (existed), Jintan would have stayed the way he was because he would have never seen her to begin with. He would've dealt with his guilt differently, by playing games everyday and skipping school. But now they've established ghost!Menma as a real, independent character and her existence/appearance pushes and guides him as he struggles to fulfill her wish.

But I'm rambling and I don't want to be overly nitpicky because the series' execution so far is close to flawless. It's a plot device that's often used, so I'm just gonna accept it and lean back and enjoy the upcoming episodes :)

And lol @ Yukiatsu sniffing the dress. I also wonder how he acquired it........I certainly can't think of a logical reason xD

Anh_Minh
2011-04-23, 05:10
Yeah, I guess that it resembles a dress is something that creeps people out. If it's just a trinket or something that Menma gave Yukiatsu back then, which makes it the only thing that he has to remember her by, it's okay, but a dress...it seems unlikely that she gave him one, and the alternative that he stole it or something (because if I was a parent, I'm not giving my dead daughter's friend her clothes just because he ask me nicely) is a bit disturbing. Not to mention, there's a certain possibility too that she's wearing that clothes when she died, which is just an extra layer of creepy on the creepy flavored cake.
Maybe he was into crossdressing as a kid, and Menma enabled him... :p

felix
2011-04-23, 05:53
Maybe he was into crossdressing as a kid, and Menma enabled him... :pHis personality would indicate otherwise.

diabolistic
2011-04-23, 09:27
The ED is sung by the seiyuu, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the single releases the 27th in Japan. I can't wait!

Noice, I'll be in Japan from the 26th so I may have to pick up this bad boy.

At the same time, I don't think Poppo does have one. In facts he's the only one out of the five friends who doesn't appear to be changed in the years.

Well, Poppo also decided to avoid school and travel. In fact, it seems like he's trying to get as far away from Japan as possible...

DragoZERO
2011-04-23, 09:38
Well, Poppo also decided to avoid school and travel. In fact, it seems like he's trying to get as far away from Japan as possible...Yeah, I think Poppo is changed because of Menma as well. He is acting as the catalyst, but everyone was impacted negatively (more than you would expect) because of Menma dying.

ahelo
2011-04-23, 10:50
This just proves that everyone loves Pokemon. Though it seems that previous games are pretty rare these. I missed the "the only way to get this Pokemon is to trade it like Machoke to Machamp" and you have to get your friends to do it with you. My childhood is Pokemon (though I still buy every version) and this series became from awesome to AWESOME.

Let's not forget the great character developments of this episode.

Pellissier
2011-04-23, 10:58
I made a set of semi-animated signatures from the OP, one for each character, "semi" because in each the left part is a kind of slot machine effect with the right character appearing in the end (unfortunately could not make that sequence too long due to size constraint). On the right there's a normal static image, with the corresponding character. Imagery is not the best in some cases, but I chose to use images from the OP only, because of the nostalgic feeling, so the available stock was limited. Freebies of course!

http://i.imgur.com/zX4nS.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/QXeBx.jpg . http://i.imgur.com/GssHc.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/lJtTc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VcWmB.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/JDpXM.jpg . http://i.imgur.com/FtxdB.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/2mOK6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iH7la.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/SsC3h.jpg . http://i.imgur.com/2IUVD.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/q0FYk.jpg

Since each signature contains 2 images, I figured I would put the codes down here to simplify. Copy/paste these links (2 for each signature) into your sign field.

JINTAN

http://i.imgur.com/zX4nS.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/QXeBx.jpg

MENMA

http://i.imgur.com/GssHc.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/lJtTc.jpg

ANARU

http://i.imgur.com/VcWmB.gif http://i.imgur.com/JDpXM.jpg

TSURUKO

http://i.imgur.com/FtxdB.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/2mOK6.jpg

YUKIATSU

http://i.imgur.com/iH7la.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/SsC3h.jpg

POPPO

http://i.imgur.com/2IUVD.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/q0FYk.jpg

frubam
2011-04-23, 12:17
We might be going about this ghost thing the wrong way. She might be a ghost, but she might be able to do unconventional things such as interact with the environment and eat. I still think she's been in too many scenes without Jinta to mean she was a figment of his imagination.
You do make a point, and I haven't forgotten the 'weight' scene in the first episode, I just thought that those might be tactics to throw the viewer off :p. I think I'll stay cynical about her being a ghost for now, until I SEE(har har) some irrefutable proof.

totoum
2011-04-23, 12:31
I'm starting to wonder if Jintan will ever find out if she's a ghost or not.

She might very well be some kind of spirit,the audience will know that but the characters won't.

SkoolRumble4Ya
2011-04-23, 13:08
This show makes me sad. I hope everybody gets to see Menma one last time.

UltimaWolf
2011-04-23, 15:01
http://i.imgur.com/GssHc.gif%5B/IMG%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i.imgur.com/lJtTc.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/lJtTc.jpg

Going to take this one, Awesome job Pellissier!

kitten320
2011-04-23, 15:13
That's exactly what my problem is: Jintan needs a ghost to push him. Everyone gets back together because of a ghost, not because they themselves are brave enough to reunite again. Slice-of-life series usually claim to be, well, about life, and having a ghost helping you is a little off. If Menma had appeared in a dream and asked Jinta to reconcile the gang, then her appearance could be explained as a psychological phenomenon. But she's always accompanying him and influencing others as well: Remember when she hugged Anaru in ep1? Anaru felt the weight. The puppy barked at her and she can open doors. She is almost like a half-materialized being, not a manifestation of Jintan's desire to return to normalcy. Menma is real and not a result of Jintan's stress. That's why, in spite of their interactions, I can't really feel any connection to Menma and Jintan which is sad, because the story revolves around these two.

Have you ever watched shows about ghosts? That's normal for shows with ghosts, that's the main idea behind them. They are not part of imagination, they are real.

Haak
2011-04-23, 15:21
Everyones definition of slice of life is different. Personally I don't really believe in genres in the strictest sense. I'd say Anohana is mostly a drama with elements of slice of life and a touch of fantasy.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-23, 15:33
And a little slice-of-death...

Haak
2011-04-23, 15:49
Oh you are just the worst...

felix
2011-04-23, 16:46
Oh you are just the worst...If it makes you feel better you can think of it as a “Romance”, oh no wait she’s dead, I guess that makes it a “Thanatophilia” instead. Actually, since your age is measured in “years you lived since you were born” I guess it could be called “Paedophilia” as well. :heh: j/k

DragoZERO
2011-04-23, 21:01
Everyones definition of slice of life is different. Personally I don't really believe in genres in the strictest sense. I'd say Anohana is mostly a drama with elements of slice of life and a touch of fantasy.I see zero slice of life. Slice of life is like a "reset" of sorts. While there will be an ongoing and over arcing plot, things will remain the same for a long, long time. Sitcoms are slice of life. With this series, things are progressing and moving forward. No slice of life.

Yuutsu
2011-04-23, 22:43
Am I the only one who burst out into hysterically-stupidly-uncontrolled-spastic-I'm-probably-the-only-laughing-forever-alone-QQ laughter when Yuki sniffed him some Menma?

winhlp32
2011-04-23, 23:02
Am I the only one who burst out into hysterically-stupidly-uncontrolled-spastic-I'm-probably-the-only-laughing-forever-alone-QQ laughter when Yuki sniffed him some Menma?

I'll probably laugh at this show if at some point Yukiatsu or Jinta falls in love with the "hallucination".

Pellissier
2011-04-24, 02:40
I see zero slice of life. Slice of life is like a "reset" of sorts. While there will be an ongoing and over arcing plot, things will remain the same for a long, long time. Sitcoms are slice of life. With this series, things are progressing and moving forward. No slice of life.
The definition of Slice of Life may vary from person to person. Yours is one of the interpretations, for many people elements of slice of life can just be characters doing everyday things. For example getting up, eating, playing videogames, hanging out with friends, water plants. A moving plot doesn't necessarily rule out slice of life, they can coexist as far as I'm concerned.

felix
2011-04-24, 05:22
The definition of Slice of Life may vary from person to person. Yours is one of the interpretations, for many people elements of slice of life can just be characters doing everyday things. For example getting up, eating, playing videogames, hanging out with friends, water plants. A moving plot doesn't necessarily rule out slice of life, they can coexist as far as I'm concerned.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SliceOfLife
http://east.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slice%20of%20life
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/slice+of+life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slice_of_life

Simply put it’s not slice of life, it’s more of a drama/fantasy/romance/something-else (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Iyashikei) (with slice of life elements). Now, if you want, of course you think of it as the best mecha series this season, who’s there to stop you; heck whatever makes you comfortable watching it, just go for it.

Irenicus
2011-04-24, 05:23
I'm...speechless.

This show is...wow.

It's good. It's so good. It's too good. Pacing, animation, music, characters, setting, emotion. Anime lives.

Now excuse me as I go and sniff something important I hid in my closet.

totoum
2011-04-24, 05:32
Simply put it’s not slice of life, it’s more of a drama/fantasy/romance/something-else (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Iyashikei) (with slice of life elements)

The thing is anything with "slice of life" elements gets called slice of life these days,it's not something I really agree with,for exemple in the animesuki 2010 awards both Cross Game and Kuragehime got nominated.

felix
2011-04-24, 05:39
The thing is anything with "slice of life" elements gets called slice of life these days,it's not something I really agree with,for exemple in the animesuki 2010 awards both Cross Game and Kuragehime got nominated.The definition is pretty clear on what is and what isn’t. However we have to take into account why the categorization exists in the first place; so if calling it slice of life makes everyone happy, and is how people understand it as, then so be it.

Daniel E.
2011-04-24, 08:11
I made a set of semi-animated signatures from the OP,

Damn, I almost feel like snatching the Anaru one for myself. :meh:

Gonna stick with Valky for a bit longer, though. :D

felix
2011-04-24, 08:56
Gonna stick with Valky for a bit longer, though. :DYou sure like playing the bad guy.

Riga92
2011-04-24, 15:01
Finally got over my Madoka Syndrome and started watching currently airing anime again.

And wow, its only the second episode but AnoHana continues to impress me. I like the fact how this episode closely hits me home when they started playing Nokemon. I remember those good times when me and my friends would just crash at each other's places and play Pokemon together...good times...

I'm glad to see that Popo and Anaru hasn't really changed that much from the past and it was great seeing them and Jinta hanging out together.

pagan poor
2011-04-24, 15:01
In the preview, was that 1) Tsurumi with her hair up, and 2) Anjou waiting on the sidewalk with the white dress? Yeah, it's only next week, but I was like :love: when I saw them both there.

Tu101uk
2011-04-24, 15:41
In the preview, was that 1) Tsurumi with her hair up, and 2) Anjou waiting on the sidewalk with the white dress? Yeah, it's only next week, but I was like :love: when I saw them both there.
Heheh... Yeah I know what you mean.
Tsuruko smiling (gosh, I love her smile :3)? And is that really Anaru with her hair down and in a dress? o.o

It seems like Tsuruko may be the next one to warm up to the group, but it looks like it'll focus mainly on Jintan coming back to school for the new term, and everything that ensues it. Might have to wait another episode before we see her rejoin the Squad...Friday can't come any quicker... T.T I haven't felt the urgent need to watch a series every week since... well... last season, actually, with Madoka... XD But that's besides the point... Me want my AnoHana fix nao!!! >.<

O-O~

.x.crii.x.
2011-04-24, 15:45
Anaru looks really cute with her dress and hair down.

I get that Menma is considered cute...but I somehow find Anaru to be much cuter/attractive. How about you guys?

Tu101uk
2011-04-24, 15:52
Anaru looks really cute with her dress and hair down.

I get that Menma is considered cute...but I somehow find Anaru to be much cuter/attractive. How about you guys?
Methinks it's her tsundere touches and her closet-otakuness, not to mention the fact that I feel I have to root for the poor girl in her one-sided heartache with a shut-in. I definitely find her a more attractive prospect than the childlike Menma...

...besides, I'm a sucker for meganekko... XD (and yes, she is technically still one, even if she doesn't wear them around her galpals...)

And I definitely want to see more of Tsuruko now - I'm sure we only saw her worst side in Episode 2, and (hopefully) her better side will be great... ^_^

O-O~

.x.crii.x.
2011-04-24, 16:04
Hmmm....would Anaru really be tsundere though? She´s not really that "tsun-tsun" She appeals more to me as if she just doesn't know how to express herslef.

And yeah, Menma is a bit too childish. xD;;

Tu101uk
2011-04-24, 16:09
Hmmm....would Anaru really be tsundere though? She´s not really that "tsun-tsun" She appeals more to me as if she just doesn't know how to express herslef.

Yeah, that's why I said "tsundere touches"... XD She ain't an all-out tsundere as such (just as none of the characters fit that smoothly into many predefined anime archetypes) but shows a couple of the classic traits, though I do see your point of her just not being able to express herself well. Probably puberty riling up her emotions...

...and yeah, that's why I avoided "childish" and went with "childlike" when describing Menma... XD You see, it's understandable that she acts like that, seeing as she died quite young and thus doesn't know any better, so I can forgive the poor girl/ghost/hallucination/"stress"/"trauma"/whatever she is for the weird things she does around poor Jintan...

O-O~

CWW
2011-04-24, 17:16
She's voiced by Haruka Tomatsu. Did she have a role that wasn't tsundere in some way? :heh:

Chalk me up to the ones who can't wait till friday.

FlareKnight
2011-04-24, 18:00
Methinks it's her tsundere touches and her closet-otakuness, not to mention the fact that I feel I have to root for the poor girl in her one-sided heartache with a shut-in. I definitely find her a more attractive prospect than the childlike Menma...

...besides, I'm a sucker for meganekko... XD (and yes, she is technically still one, even if she doesn't wear them around her galpals...)

And I definitely want to see more of Tsuruko now - I'm sure we only saw her worst side in Episode 2, and (hopefully) her better side will be great... ^_^

O-O~Yeah think there is always that desire to root for the one who has had that pretty one sided attraction. Plus there really are plenty of things to like about Anaru. Really do hope that things work out for her this time around.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-24, 18:35
She's voiced by Haruka Tomatsu. Did she have a role that wasn't tsundere in some way? :heh:

I must speak up in Haruka-san's defense. Lala from ToLoveRu (not a favorite of mine, admittedly) certainly isn't tsundere. Hitoha from Mitsudomoe... Well, I don't know if she's tsundere or not - she's tsuntsun towards humans and deredere towards cute animals and hero squads. Hime from Sora no Manimani definitely isn't a tsundere either.

TurkeyPotPie
2011-04-24, 18:40
Finally got around to watching the second episode. Don't know why I waited this long (and watched several other lesser series beforehand) before watching episode 2 because it was excellent.

Like many others I was creeped out at first by Yukiatsu's sniffing of Menma's clothes, but after I thought about it I realized it wasn't right to immediately jump to some sort of sexual perversion interpretation of the scene. Scent can be a powerful motivator of memory. My father passed away six years ago, and afterwards I used to sit in his room sometimes (which my mother left untouched since his death). He was a pipe smoker, and the faint smell of tobacco in the room would bring back happy memories. Now if Yukiatsu was sniffing Menma's panties or something, I'd be a little more concerned. :uhoh:

Poppo's travels are impressive. I was studying the maps to see where all he has been. It looked like he went to some rather unusual places like Yemen or Oman. Kind of stretching belief that he could afford that on part-time work at his age.

Menma is the only weak link in this series for me. Her voice... :(

Forsaken_Infinity
2011-04-24, 20:02
Nope. I did the same. :)

OceanBlue
2011-04-24, 20:11
I must speak up in Haruka-san's defense. Lala from ToLoveRu (not a favorite of mine, admittedly) certainly isn't tsundere. Hitoha from Mitsudomoe... Well, I don't know if she's tsundere or not - she's tsuntsun towards humans and deredere towards cute animals and hero squads. Hime from Sora no Manimani definitely isn't a tsundere either.
Sakana from Star Driver isn't either.

Anyway, this thread convinced me that smelling old mementos of people is perfectly normal. I still think he's somewhat obsessed with Menma, but I guess you learn new things from strange places.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-24, 21:25
I'm probably the one non-chalant of the whole sniffing business. Then again, my shipping of osananajimi is so high that I don't mind anything and accept everything as normal if its regarding between childhood friends... assuming they don't pursue other interests of course lols.

Can't forget about Hanasaku Iroha of this season at least. :heh:

khryoleoz
2011-04-24, 21:55
I can't get enough of the beauty of this show. 2nd only to TWGOK, it's my favorite this season.

DragoZERO
2011-04-24, 22:01
She's voiced by Haruka Tomatsu. Did she have a role that wasn't tsundere in some way? :heh:Ahh... I am surprised I didn't pick up on that. I guess since she's been so quiet.

When's the next episode... lol.

CWW
2011-04-24, 22:20
It was a test. You guys forgot Kisaragi from GA Art Design Class. :p

One of her first roles where I couldn't immediately pick up her voice. I thought Kisaragi was voiced by Mamiko Noto at first. :heh:

Anyway, Anaru is <3.

aohige
2011-04-24, 23:03
Late to the party, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but...

After watching the first episode, I have one comment.
The director and the animators are mind blowing amazing. Even better than their job on Toradora, which I felt was incredible.

In ONE episode, without ANY lengthy explanation, they managed to set the setting, introduce all the main characters, display what type of characters they are, their relation to each other, their personality, emotion, and what happened between two eras.
Effectively putting all cards on the table without letting the audience even notice it.

And still have time to bring the story moving towards a very moving, emotional start.

All done simply through extremely well paced and placed animation. AND without being boring.

These are basic skills that SO MANY of the animators today lack, and yet, this staff executed this flawlessly.

Good God. *applauds*

totoum
2011-04-25, 00:08
It was a test. You guys forgot Kisaragi from GA Art Design Class. :p

Darn it you bit me to it,she was adorable in that role.

I'll add in YunYun from Canaan then.

So,I've got a confession to make,I've got a ring that belongs to my mother who passed away 5 years ago and well....I sniff it from time to time,it used to smell like her but now the smell's gone but I still do it out of habbit I guess.
So nothing about sniffing clothes in this episode really shocked me.

Tu101uk
2011-04-25, 00:50
Like many others I was creeped out at first by Yukiatsu's sniffing of Menma's clothes, but after I thought about it I realized it wasn't right to immediately jump to some sort of sexual perversion interpretation of the scene. Scent can be a powerful motivator of memory. My father passed away six years ago, and afterwards I used to sit in his room sometimes (which my mother left untouched since his death). He was a pipe smoker, and the faint smell of tobacco in the room would bring back happy memories. Now if Yukiatsu was sniffing Menma's panties or something, I'd be a little more concerned. :uhoh:Again, methinks it's more the case of "Where the hell did he get that dress from and how the hell did he get it? D:" rather than "Eww, he's sniffing something to remember a dead girl by, gross!" for many people here. At least, it is for me... :S I mean, I could understand if he were a close family member or something, but he isn't. o_o;;; It's certainly not the sexual perversion, merely the implications of him having that particular piece of clothing in the first place... :x

Poppo's travels are impressive. I was studying the maps to see where all he has been. It looked like he went to some rather unusual places like Yemen or Oman. Kind of stretching belief that he could afford that on part-time work at his age.IIRC, he's also travelled to Europe as well, which is pretty incredible for someone who is around the same age as the other four high schoolers. Maybe we'll get some backstory to this? ^_^;;; I would certainly want to know...

Late to the party, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but...

After watching the first episode, I have one comment.
The director and the animators are mind blowing amazing. Even better than their job on Toradora, which I felt was incredible.

In ONE episode, without ANY lengthy explanation, they managed to set the setting, introduce all the main characters, display what type of characters they are, their relation to each other, their personality, emotion, and what happened between two eras.
Effectively putting all cards on the table without letting the audience even notice it.

And still have time to bring the story moving towards a very moving, emotional start.

All done simply through extremely well paced and placed animation. AND without being boring.

These are basic skills that SO MANY of the animators today lack, and yet, this staff executed this flawlessly.

Good God. *applauds*
Ah yes, the animation. It's nothing too spectacular, but it's really solid and expresses how things have changed between the years very well. It reminds me a lot of Kannagi (which is no surprise, much love for A-1 Pictures <3).

That, coupled with the superb writing, scripting and pacing, and you've got a highly watchable show with characters with actual personality, and not just exact cookie-cutter archetypes copy-and-pasted from the Big Book of Anime Tropes... :P I actually feel sympathy for their current plight and am rooting for them to reunite as the Super Peace Busters... :D

...I just hope they can keep up this quality... :x It's a 1-cour series, so it shooooooooooould be fine, but I've seen 1-cour series mess up right near the end before. Let's hope this doesn't suffer a similar fate...

O-O~

PS - I just love the OP song too... :3 It's nicely-paced and fits with the themes of the show... Can't wait for it to come out...

Tempester
2011-04-25, 01:53
This is one of those anime, like Madoka Magica, which is excellent to the degree that I'm at loss for words. It feels like everyone else here has said most of what I need to say already. In the two episodes I've seen so far, I've found almost nothing to complain about; just about everything has been done correctly. When it wanted to make me sad, it made me sad. After both episodes, my eyes were wet with tears. At this rate, Ano Hana is headed squarely into masterpiece territory. I'm done.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-25, 02:02
I thought I already posted here regarding episode 2, but I guess I didn't >.<.

Anyways, this episdoe was absolute boss. I don't have any real complaints. It really knew how to tug nostalgia strings, particularily with all the pokemon references, which many of us grew up with. Great character development, great animation, great music, touching story.

On another note I’m 90% sure now that a Jintan/Anaru shipping will develop over the course of the series. I also have an idea of what Menma's wish would be which I think is that the six friends will remain united forever, which will most likely be granted by the end of series followed by Menma disappearing.

Tu101uk
2011-04-25, 02:13
Anyways, this episdoe was absolute boss. I don't have any real complaints. It really knew how to tug nostalgia strings, particularily with all the pokemon references, which many of us grew up with. Great character development, great animation, great music, touching story.
I'm sure most of us have been there with the nostalgia. For me, I didn't have much of a childhood as a shut-in, but my nostalgic memories came during my secondary school years, first playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow with my two oldest friends and then onwards to when I made more friends during my GCSEs and having some hardcore Phantasy Star Online sessions with them. Four guys huddled around my mate's small TV and Gamecube, playing four-player co-op... Ah, those were the days for me... ^_^

On another note I’m 90% sure now that a Jintan/Anaru shipping will develop over the course of the series. I also have an idea of what Menma's wish would be which I think is that the six friends will remain united forever, which will most likely be granted by the end of series followed by Menma disappearing.
I'll be getting that Kleenex/handkerchief ready... ;_;

O-O~

pampz21
2011-04-25, 04:15
Watch the 2 episodes and all I can say is:

"What a catch!"

first I thought it wasn't worth my time but looks like I was wrong! tehe ^^

cyth
2011-04-25, 08:06
So I came across this (http://apricotcomplex.com/archives/51700024.html) article/thread summation with speculations Yukiatsu may be crossdressing as Menma. Thoughts on this? http://www.shrani.si/f/2h/Dg/3EUUIcC0/emot-v4.gif

Kakkou
2011-04-25, 08:26
^ ... Oh God, I thought it was just some lulz inducing joke or crack theory but that screenshot definitely implies that much. Aside from the watch, the figure doesn't look like Menma's either so... :uhoh:

Ravenblitz
2011-04-25, 08:30
lol he's sniffing then crossdress?!?

i thought i would like all the main cast but then... rumors well i give Yukiatsu a benefit of a doubt

felix
2011-04-25, 08:41
So I came across this (http://apricotcomplex.com/archives/51700024.html) article/thread summation with speculations Yukiatsu may be crossdressing as Menma. Thoughts on this? http://www.shrani.si/f/2h/Dg/3EUUIcC0/emot-v4.gifThere are two people who wear that watch. The other girl who’s friends with Yukiatsu (Chiriko) also wears one.

spawnofthejudge
2011-04-25, 08:52

Join my voice to the chorus: Misao from Asura Cryin'.

I love how I can't pigeonhole any of the cast here into convenient labels. Definitely hooked to the end of this one.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-25, 11:57
Well - that would fulfill the recent NoitaminA crossdressing requirement...

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-25, 12:10
I'm not a huge fan of Haruka Tomatsu as a seiyuu, but she is far from one-dimensional. Nagi from Kannagi isn't tsundere, either.

Pellissier
2011-04-25, 12:38
I'm not a huge fan of Haruka Tomatsu as a seiyuu, but she is far from one-dimensional.
I'm a huge fan of her instead, but yes she's not one-dimensional. The tsundere specialist label was probably given to her because she played several tsundere roles in a short period, in 2009 (Ikaruga Akane in Asu no Yoichi, Mana in White Album, Aoba in Cross Game, the Kirishima twins in Nyan Koi), but especially after that she has proven she can provide many more voices than those. All of her main roles have been mentioned already, but I'll just repeat the two that particularly impressed me: Kisaragi Yamaguchi in Geijutsuka and Hitoha in Mitsudomoe.

Tu101uk
2011-04-25, 13:19
So I came across this (http://apricotcomplex.com/archives/51700024.html) article/thread summation with speculations Yukiatsu may be crossdressing as Menma. Thoughts on this? http://www.shrani.si/f/2h/Dg/3EUUIcC0/emot-v4.gif

Methinks the words "CANNOT UNSEE" spring to mind... D;

If that is really the case... Really, Yukiatsu? Really? The sniffing clothes thing, fair enough (still dubious about how he obtained them, if they really do belong to a now-dead Menma), but now putting on a wig and scaring people in the middle of the night? >.<

God, this should be fun/interesting to watch... :S

O-O~

felix
2011-04-25, 13:42
The sniffing clothes thing, fair enough (still dubious about how he obtained them, if they really do belong to a now-dead Menma), but now putting on a wig and scaring people in the middle of the night? >.<Your mind is too innocent…

Tu101uk
2011-04-25, 13:48
Your mind is too innocent…
You have no idea... ;D

I was merely refraining from the other (and more obvious to us anime fans) thing(s) a crossdressing Yukiatsu could do... ;P

O-O~

Darknemo2000
2011-04-25, 13:50

tsundere means aloof (tsun) and sweet (dere) in the same time. Needless to say that there are many ways to be aloof and sweet.

Anaru's aloofness doesnt come as violent or screaming but it is still there. So yes. she should be considered somewhat a tsundere although not the Type A for sure.

CWW
2011-04-25, 14:20
She got pretty flustered when Poppo called her in public by her nickname. Although, to be fair, I'd be mad too if my nickname sounded like 'Anal.' :heh:

She has won my heart forever when she double high five'd Jinta after obtaining a rare Nokemon. A geek at heart.

.x.crii.x.
2011-04-25, 14:31
That screenshot...it wasn´t in the next episode preview was it? I've watched it like 10 times and haven´t seen it! D:

Saturn Beaver
2011-04-25, 14:40
She got pretty flustered when Poppo called her in public by her nickname. Although, to be fair, I'd be mad too if my nickname sounded like 'Anal.' :heh:

She has won my heart forever when she double high five'd Jinta after obtaining a rare Nokemon. A geek at heart.

Yeah, in my mind when I call her Anaru I'm imagining that it's the other meaning of Anal, as in anal retentive...we know from last ep that she does things like labeling things with her name, so it kinda fits if you stretch it a bit.

Tu101uk
2011-04-25, 14:44
Yeah, in my mind when I call her Anaru I'm imagining that it's the other meaning of Anal, as in anal retentive...we know from last ep that she does things like labeling things with her name, so it kinda fits if you stretch it a bit.
Sorry, just could not resist... XD Though admittedly that's a nice alternative way of looking at things...

I can't wait to see Anaru's development episode, just to see if she goes through with dropping her "galpal" facade. It'll definitely be an interesting watch (plus she needs to lose those "galpals" pronto >.>;;;)...

O-O~

Nikkan
2011-04-25, 15:53
Anyone else who can't stop listening to the opening?
I just love the sadness in the last 5 seconds right before it ends

kyouray
2011-04-25, 16:00
There are two people who wear that watch. The other girl who’s friends with Yukiatsu (Chiriko) also wears one.
I hope it's Chiriko. It'd be disappointing for this series and creepy if it's Yukiatsu whereas Chiriko'd be a better choice for this. She's irritated because of Yukiatsu obsessed by Menma so she may dress like her in order to attract his attention.
It looks Poppo see this Menma so it has high chances it isn't really her.

That screenshot...it wasn´t in the next episode preview was it? I've watched it like 10 times and haven´t seen it! D:
They put previews every week on the website : http://www.anohana.jp/story/03.html

CWW
2011-04-25, 16:01
I'm hooked to the ED myself. Perfect song, really. Haven't actually heard it before, so I was pleasantly surprised it was a ten year-old song.

Wakan Tanka
2011-04-25, 16:07
The crossdressing-theory is so damn stupid. Here's a one fact: Menma couldn't be seen or heard. I bet that he/she is Harry Potter or something. :D

Saturn Beaver
2011-04-25, 16:10
Sorry, just could not resist... XD Though admittedly that's a nice alternative way of looking at things...

I can't wait to see Anaru's development episode, just to see if she goes through with dropping her "galpal" facade. It'll definitely be an interesting watch (plus she needs to lose those "galpals" pronto >.>;;;)...

O-O~

Ahhh, dammit, I really didn't mean it like that, pun fully not intended...

Oh, and echoing CWW in really loving the ED, my favorite of this season. Why haven't I heard of this sooner...

Deconstructor
2011-04-25, 16:16
This is the most powerful anime I've seen in years.

UltimaWolf
2011-04-25, 17:47
^ It does seem that way so far, doesn't it.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-25, 19:09
Such a shame though that being 'powerful' or full of 'impact' doesn't necessarily translate to a whole lot of discussion. I mean, as much as I love AnoHana, there really isn't much to talk about as everyone is pretty much in agreement, nor there really isn't much controversial stuff apart from the 'sniffing' scene in episode 2. :heh:

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-25, 19:42
447 posts for two eps of this type of show is actually pretty good, IMO.

applejuice
2011-04-25, 19:43
Such a shame though that being 'powerful' or full of 'impact' doesn't necessarily translate to a whole lot of discussion. I mean, as much as I love AnoHana, there really isn't much to talk about as everyone is pretty much in agreement, nor there really isn't much controversial stuff apart from the 'sniffing' scene in episode 2. :heh:

Well, the word 'powerful' fits better for Mado Magi 3rd and 10th episode... ^^;;

If I were to describe Ano Hana, I say 'the most flawless anime I've seen in recent years'.

Deconstructor
2011-04-25, 22:38
Actually, there's a lot about Anohana I'd like to talk about.

There's really only one thing about Anohana that makes it implausible in real life - and that's dead Menma being able to interact with the rest of the world. The viewers see Menma is able to open doors and eat food. Menma's materialization seems to fit in with many traditional conceptions of ghosts: they can influence our real world, and sometimes even talk to us. Perhaps in future episodes, the rest of Jinta's friends can also see Menma as Jinta does.

I notice Menma has the mannerisms of a child, even though she's supposedly around the same age as Jinta. Symbolically, it looks like childhood idealism and adolescent cynicism are doing battle inside of Jinta's mind - and childhood idealism is slowly winning. Jinta wants to return to the days of being the leader of the Super Peace Busters, and he wants everyone else with him. The saddest part is, I think everyone else longs for their past. But on the outside, Tsuruko and Yukiatsu claim they've thrown away such foolish dreams and matured into hard-working students. Really, they still can't get over the memories of Menma's death... and the joy they shared playing Nokemon together. Just look at Yukiatsu, he's got Menma's old sundress... in... his... closet... :uhoh:

Now I'm not saying the Super Peace Busters should all go back to searching the forest and hanging out together in their little shack. They're all grown up now... what they must accept is Menma's death. Her death served as a grim reality check; it essentially shattered the dream that everyone would remain friends forever. But the fear of losing each other doesn't mean everyone should have broken up and went their separate ways, pretending such dreams never existed in their pasts. Instead, Jinta and his friends should cherish the time they shared together... and admit they still wish to be friends.

Menma and Jinta are somewhat like the "glue" holding the group together. Jinta and Menma have a crush on each other. Anaru likes Jinta and Yukiatsu likes Menma. Tsuruko likes Yukiatsu, and Poppo... well, he doesn't seem to be romantically interested in anyone. One could argue Yukiatsu, Anaru, and Tsuruko were merely latching onto their crushes. But I think Anohana is trying to show that love shouldn't interfere with true friendship. Anaru was jealous of Menma, yes. But that didn't stop Anaru and Menma from being friends. Anaru... she wanted to be so badly like Menma because she was infatuated with Jinta. Somewhat obvious, I guess. But I'm actually somewhat glad for her time away from Jinta, because Anaru now accepts her curly hair.

Ultimately, I believe Anohana shows how friends, dreams, and wishes are often lost in the cruel realities of life. No one remains friends forever. But the answer is not to reject the past, as if it never happened. Instead, Jinta and his friends must come to terms with Menma's death, and admit it should have never separated them from being true friends.

Ugh. Now I sound like some motivational speaker. Hmm... anyone else enjoy the Menma fanservice? :D

Triple_R
2011-04-25, 22:40

I know what you mean.

AnoHana is just very solid, heartwarming, serious, slice of life drama. There's no glaring flaws at all, but at the same time, there's not many specific scenes here that leaves me wanting to think over it and discuss it at length.

It's not particularly hammy, but nor is it particularly subtle. It's pretty clear cut and effective at what it wants to convey, but it's not notably loud or theatrical either. Very measured, very careful, generally good writing and realistic characters and dialogue.

FatPianoBoy
2011-04-25, 22:57
I think the first episode has a lot of problems with the directing. The pacing was pretty bad; the whole story had a 'three steps forward, two steps back' feeling. It was especially frustrating because I figured out Menma was dead almost immediately. It also seemed to depend on simply depicting something sad and expecting us to be sad. If it had focused more on characterization, I think it would have had a lot more impact. From a storytelling perspective, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to keep it ambiguous as to whether Jintan is actually seeing Menma's ghost or just a hallucination. The second episode is much better in overall, though.

totoum
2011-04-26, 02:11
It was especially frustrating because I figured out Menma was dead almost immediately.

Which would be a problem if they had tried to hide the fact Menma was dead,but they didn't

From a storytelling perspective, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to keep it ambiguous as to whether Jintan is actually seeing Menma's ghost or just a hallucination.

We've got 11 episodes to get the band back together which is what the story is really about,there's no time to waste on a "is she real or not" subplot which in the end would have nothing to do with the real story.

Kanon
2011-04-26, 03:38

Hahaha oh wow. I want this to be true for the sheer (unintentional) comedy value. Imagine what kind of faces the rest of the cast would make if they saw that :heh:

BaKaBaKaOtaKu
2011-04-26, 03:56
T__T what an emotional episode.

btw, yukiatsu's one creepy guy.

Westlo
2011-04-26, 04:13

I think Haruka Tomatsu is the perfect example of a VA who has a well defined role that just seems so natural for her, but at the same time has plenty of roles showcasing her vast range. Someone like K.Rie would be an example of someone who has totally been typecast.. and voicing Aria this season just reinforces that. Whereas while Tomatsu has those pseudo tsundere roles she's just perfect for she still voices lots of other character types.

I'm a massive Tomatsu fan... I know she had a lot of people early on thinking she was gifted seiyuu stardom because of her looks (people mention they had to audition her 4 times for the Nagi role in Kannagi...)and marketing appeal.. but since Tomatsu came out I wouldn't take any seiyuu who has burst onto the scene ahead of her.

I don't know why she hasn't taken off as much as say Hanazawa Kana or Yuuki Aoi but I think she's much more talented than them. The Kannagi role reversal she did with Kana shows a clear difference imo...

Pellissier
2011-04-26, 04:38
Hahaha oh wow. I want this to be true for the sheer (unintentional) comedy value. Imagine what kind of faces the rest of the cast would make if they saw that :heh:
Comedy value or not, it certainly would spice things up quite a bit. We've got increasing hints that Yukiatsu is creepy (first episode, that cold look when he opened the closet. Second episode, the smelling scene), but to think it would come to that extent. Let's see if it's actually like that, and if true what's the reasoning behind it.

The Kannagi role reversal she did with Kana shows a clear difference imo...
I remember a rumour/speculation saying that originally in Kannagi, Tomatsu Haruka was called to play Zange, while the first choice for Nagi was Hanazawa Kana. At that time Kanazawa was much more known than Tomacchan, who only have had the lead role in To-love-ru and a secondary character in Kyouran Kazoku Nikki in her resume.
In any case, that 2 minutes reversal role imho showed how much more Haruka was at ease dubbing Zange, than Kana dubbing Nagi.

I don't know why she hasn't taken off as much
This is also something I wonder about sometimes. For example in winter she almost took a complete break, with a mere 8 episodes of Mitsudomoe 2 and the follow up in Star Driver. Perhaps it's her own choice too, she's got University (but for example Yuuki Aoi attends University too but still stars in a sheer number of shows) and started a solo singer career, other than being part of Sphere.

totoum
2011-04-26, 06:09
For example in winter she almost took a complete break

But this spring she's got C,AnoHana,Hanasaku Iroha so it's not like she's completly dead,at least she's getting more work than her sphere colleague Takagaki Ayahi who's someone I'd really like to hear more from.

MaiNoKen
2011-04-26, 07:21
I know what you mean.

AnoHana is just very solid, heartwarming, serious, slice of life drama. There's no glaring flaws at all, but at the same time, there's not many specific scenes here that leaves me wanting to think over it and discuss it at length.

It's not particularly hammy, but nor is it particularly subtle. It's pretty clear cut and effective at what it wants to convey, but it's not notably loud or theatrical either. Very measured, very careful, generally good writing and realistic characters and dialogue.

Having action, shocks, and twists at the beginning of any novels and dramas are very important to grab viewer/reader attention and discussions. The rule includes classic novels to anime.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-26, 10:04
I know what you mean.

Pretty much nailed what I wanted to say. This anime so far has virtually no flaws and is neither too or under (melo)dramatic. It's just great, solid writing without resorting to ham and transitions very well. The only ham I could argue is the ED, but it fits in very nicely with the atmosphere of the series. At the same time, there hasn't been any scenes (yet) where I wanted to cry, though I predict I will by the end of the series.

I don't usually give out ratings but I would give it 10/10 for both eps so far.

felix
2011-04-26, 13:50
This anime so far has virtually no flawsI’ve seen this go on for a few pages now, and honestly while it doesn’t have anything major, it has plenty of flaws:
Except for the male lead and Anaru, character designs (art + tone + voice acting) are somewhat mediocre and cliche (ie. I’ve seen them before more then I would like). There’s no real character that gives out the “omg awesome” feeling either, which I feel is essential to any show, and in particular a character driven one such as this one.
The setting is also special. Kid fort, school, etc, are all motifs that come on a lot. Popo is probably the most interesting one in the show, even though his design (personality included) isn’t exactly original, it’s pretty rarely used.
The ghost mechanics are somewhat iffy. Menma’s lack of expressiveness is also sometimes more distracting then helpful to the story.
The mood doesn’t really build up because the main character really only seems to go with the flow, and a little bit due to Menma’s influence. The pretext is a little shallow and hard to sympathize with as well. Even if we’re not talking it being some kind of mini-drama at heart, it’s still up in the air if the show takes itself seriously or not. As has been mentioned a few times, romance between little kids is a little hard to take seriously, and right now that’s all it has. Though I’ll give it one thing, it fleshes out the “liked you since we were little” theme pretty well.
Anyway, the show is not bad by a long shot (yet), but I suggest you hold the “this is the best thing since sliced bread” comments till after a few episodes have passed, or the main plotline has fleshed out a little. If Iroha is any indication you might get hugely disappointed if you get the wrong idea about it at this stage.

Flower
2011-04-26, 15:56
TripleR said it very well imo.

I must admit that this series has been the darkhorse for me this season. I have REALLY enjoyed the first two eps thus far, and have big hopes that this it will continue to get better as the season goes on. :D

Irisiel
2011-04-26, 17:14
I don't really think Yukiatsu's sniffing is that creepy, and I can think of at least one incredibly melodramatic and one incredibly normal reason for him to have the dress.

First: He was there when Menma drowned, and she drowned because her dress was caught on something on the bottom, so when he jumped in to save her, he had to remove the dress, but it was too late. Later, her parents just doesn't want anything to do with the dress ('cause it killed their daughter, maybe?), and he keeps it because he doesn't know what to do with it.

Second: Menma has at least two of the same dress, and one was forgotten at Yukiatsu's place when their group had a sleepover. There just haven't been a good time to bring this up with Menma's parents, and now it's been so long that everyone pretty much forgot or thinks it would be too awkward to bring it up.

Optional third reason: One of Menma's family tries to get rid of all Menma's things, and Menma's friends and mother ends up getting them back, but the mother has a breakdown/denounces material things now that Menma is gone, and Yukiatsu is stuck with the dress.

For the record, the second one happened a lot amongst the groups of friends of all genders when I was a kid, and when my little sister grew up, we had weekly phone chains to check in on everyone's stuff because the kids would simply borrow clothes from each other/play dress up and then leave the stuff and go home in borrowed stuff.

But I think that either Yukiatsu, Tsuruko or Poppo will be final boss. Poppo is more living in the past than the rest of them; he tries to keep away from his childhood haunts in order not to overwrite his earlier memories, and when a chance to revive the Super Peace Busters comes up, he's all for it, and he is also completely excited about Menma still being around. Because of this, he might be the hardest one to turn around.

Yukiatsu is very obviously still deeply in grief, including rigid adherence to social rules and overachieving. He's desperate to keep Menma alive in his memories (hence he will have a harder time accepting that Jintan is capable of at the very least conjuring up such a vivid memory, at the worst, actually attracting the real ghost of Menma), which is probably why he tries to use scent as stimulation; scientifically, it is said that scent is very helpful for memories. Because he is still in that stage of grief, I think that maybe he was there when she died, and that he probably blames himself for not saving her.

Tsuruko would be the dark horse boss. She seems to have become resentful of Menma's memory, but can't get over it herself. These conflicting emotions could also make her very hard to heal.

In fact, those three could all take turns being the final boss: Yukiatsu is the obvious one, so he's the first one to go. Poppo is trying to hide, but is already in the gang, so he's second. Tsuruko is the last because she refuses at first.

The Rule of Three. Just like in so many fairytales.

With Anaru, I sympathise with her problems with her "friends". She seems to have fallen into a clique where too much sympathy for the weird guy could get her ostracised, so she tries to tentatively make them sympathise by themselves, with little success as they are fully occupied with themselves. She needs to realise that a group of "friends" that get together to talk trash about other people and pressure each other to conform to some social norm isn't really friendship at all.

Of course, Anaru would need other friends to dare to break with the gyaru crowd, or she would be too scared to be forced to be alone.

Also, Menma seems to be a ghost with substance, and I hope it means that Jintan isn't hallucinating, and that all the friends at least gets to see her one last time, but not as a reincarnation (sorry, I've seen Air, Angel Beats and a bunch of others in a row these past few days, and I kind of got...bored).

DragoZERO
2011-04-26, 17:29
Listening to the ED and it really is a great song. I just wish it wasn't so sad. I hope we get a happy 10 years before version or something.

Flower
2011-04-26, 17:30
Listening to the ED and it really is a great song. I just wish it wasn't so sad. I hope we get a happy 10 years before version or something.

I actually enjoyed both the end song and the beginning song. :)

spawnofthejudge
2011-04-26, 17:36

...Eleven years after? :)

Kokoru Asami
2011-04-27, 14:52
I heard that song a while back and it made me feel nostalgic then, now there's no helping it especially with this show:sad:

Tu101uk
2011-04-27, 15:42
Actually this is the first time I've heard "secret base" before (yep, I'm a bit slow on the uptake >.>;;; I know of ZONE, but didn't realise this was originally one of their songs, and I also know of Scandal and didn't realise they made a cover of it XD), and I like it - the beat is quite catchy and melancholic and the lyrics are beautiful.

I've heard all three versions now (ZONE, Scandal and now the AnoHana trio), and they all have their slight charms about them. I quite like ZONE's and Scandal's slightly more upbeat versions, but the AnoHana version's slower pace fits very well with the series methinks.

I need to hear the full version of the OP, that thing's been stuck in my head for a while now... >.<

O-O~

Otani-kun
2011-04-27, 17:44
Anyway, the show is not bad by a long shot (yet), but I suggest you hold the “this is the best thing since sliced bread” comments till after a few episodes have passed, or the main plotline has fleshed out a little. If Iroha is any indication you might get hugely disappointed if you get the wrong idea about it at this stage.

Saying it's the best thing since sliced bread is a bit much, but for me it's just my favorite anime of the season. I had that same feeling with Madoka last season and it didnt change. We're only two episodes in so far but I like where it's going so far, and I really like the characters/drama/theme of the show.

pseudonhym
2011-04-27, 20:35

This is just what the first two episodes is all about. I like every thing about it, the story, sound, animation, name it. I couldn't wait for episode 3.

cereal_killerxx
2011-04-28, 11:20
Nokemon ROFL.

These characters feel so genuine. I love this show!

BetoJR
2011-04-28, 13:01
Count me in as another one loving it so far. The characters feel genuine to a fault, even if they seem archetypal (as by nature). Can't wait for more of this.

konart
2011-04-28, 14:00
So....

They DO see her?(Yukiatsu at least, no?)
I mean... WTF? What was that all about than? 0_o

DragoonKain3
2011-04-28, 14:21
Well, can't help but listen to the full ED over and over. Thought I wouldn't find a version I'd like better than original, but I feel like there's more emotion with this version of Secret Base. So yeah, AnoHana > Zone > Scandal > Kyou no Go no Ni (IMO Kn5n2 was downright horrible considering the pace didn't match the mood of the song).

Marina
2011-04-28, 14:27
http://i.imgur.com/VcWmB.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/JDpXM.jpg

Claiming anaru :) Thanks, Pelly.

cereal_killerxx
2011-04-28, 16:23
I'm half tempted to cosplay Jinta for Acen, although I doubt anyone would recognize me :(

physics223
2011-04-28, 20:20
This is my favorite show of the season as compared to Hanasaku Iroha. The second episode seemed to be just a catharsis of sorts for Anjou, but she still has to get beyond her current life to truly express her friendship towards Jinta and Poppo, who belong in the fringes of society. I love how the show seemed truly heartfelt.

Here (http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/04/ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-wo-bokutachi-wa-mada-shiranai-02-further-comparisons-with-hc/) are some of my further thoughts.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-28, 23:10
So....

They DO see her?(Yukiatsu at least, no?)
I mean... WTF? What was that all about than? 0_o

My theory on that: it was Yukiatsu that Poppo saw earlier. And Yukiatsu was completely lying when he said he saw Menma. He just didn't want Jintan to hog the spotlight yet again.

Man, this show just gets me right in the gut. Emotionally, every episode has been spot-on. I loved the internal monologue in Jintan's head when he was walking to school. That has to have been an unbelievably difficult thing for him.

Mr.Garfield
2011-04-28, 23:40
My theory on that: it was Yukiatsu that Poppo saw earlier. And Yukiatsu was completely lying when he said he saw Menma. He just didn't want Jintan to hog the spotlight yet again.

Man, this show just gets me right in the gut. Emotionally, every episode has been spot-on. I loved the internal monologue in Jintan's head when he was walking to school. That has to have been an unbelievably difficult thing for him.

My thought exactly
Though i don't quite like it. Cross-dressing as Menma and lying about seeing her, it just makes me feel sick. And it's kind of cliched too(apart from the cross dressing of course)
Hope he has a good reason for it, not just because of jealousy, but i doubt it...
Anyway another great episode, and another few moments when i have tears in my eyes. Love it!

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-28, 23:53
While there's no question Yukiatsu actually wearing Menma's dress instead of just sniffing it is even creepier, it actually makes me feel sorry for him more than anything. He was an outsider then and he's still one now, it seems.

In addition to all the other great stuff going on here, Jinta's flashback to his mother's illness was revealing as well. Poor Jinta - yet another moment he regrets and can never take back. What we're seeing (magnificently portrayed by Irinu Miyu's subtle and powerful performance) is how the weight of regret can take a cheerful, brash and outgoing little boy and turn him into a beaten, timid young man. If indeed Menma is a ghost, surely that must have been part of what brought her back.

But then - she's an odd ghost to say the least. A ghost that can make material muffins out of material ingredients? A ghost that prays at the altar of other dead people ("I'm dead too - but I'm doing great!"). A ghost that goes tearing off into the woods because someone says they saw... her.

Reckoner
2011-04-29, 00:08
Nice catch Guardian Enzo! I didn't immediately think of what Yukiatsu meant at the end, but now it all makes perfect sense.

As for the episode itself, I thought it made itself a little too heavy handed a couple moments during the episode, particularly when Memma cried not once, but twice in the same episode.

Otherwise still a good episode. I liked the insult Jintan came up with as he left the school :heh:. I give it an 8/10.

Shadow5YA
2011-04-29, 00:44
I'm liking the transition to the ED. It reminds me of Toradora, and makes the ED seem more fitting with the mood of the series.

OceanBlue
2011-04-29, 00:57
My thought exactly
Though i don't quite like it. Cross-dressing as Menma and lying about seeing her, it just makes me feel sick. And it's kind of cliched too(apart from the cross dressing of course)
Hope he has a good reason for it, not just because of jealousy, but i doubt it...
Anyway another great episode, and another few moments when i have tears in my eyes. Love it!

Even if jealousy is his reason, it stems back to their childhood, so I want to see how it, and Yukiatsu develops. Even if I don't like his character, he's an interesting character.

Also, some interesting development between the girls. Other than that, though, I'd say this episode was geared towards moving the characters together as a group rather than developing them, as most of the development in this episode was Jinta's. Lovely episode, and a great series so far. This cross-dressing thing [if it is cross-dressing] might end up badly.

For a second, I was thinking that Menma would appear for all of the characters to push them into reuniting [with the real one being Jinta's Menma], but Yukiatsu kinda threw that one out.

Tu101uk
2011-04-29, 01:04
Goodness, I was expecting a school episode today but got more developments instead... Gread character development though... :3

The more we see of Jinta's past, the more it seems life has been a tad unfair on him. His mum was a beautiful and very kind lady indeed and it must have been a shock to the system when he found out she was dying. It really looks like he needs that push behind him from a ghostly Menma (as well as the former Super Peace Busters) to get himself back on track in life.

Tsuruko was a lot better this episode. I can't tell yet how distanced she felt from the rest of the cast, but I liked it that she's coming around to the idea of hanging out with the gang again. I also like her little selfish quirks. I hope to see more of her though, they haven't really touched upon her yet.

Poppo was energetic, as usual, and lol with bringing sweet rice to a barbeque. That stuff is nice.

Much <3 for Anaru with her hair down and in a one-piece dress, and looks like she's not the only girl in the Super Peace Busters who's holding a candle (puns fully intended) for one of the guys unable to move on. She really needs to lose those galpals though, they're starting to tick me off... >.<

And yeah, speaking of which, a few words can be used to describe Yukiatsu at this point in time, but it basically amounts to pitiful. Pitiful that he still feels he has to one-up Jintan when it comes to Menma, even after her death. People deal with things in different ways, that's always understandable, but he needs help methinks because he hasn't really moved on and it's making him act in jerkish and creepy ways. I too am interested in how he'll (hopefully) develop by truly coming to terms with his loss...This episode didn't rely on nostalgia or anything like that, yet it still turned out solid. We're seeing the characters a bit more fleshed out, and now next Friday certainly can't come quickly enough... >.<

O-O~

hilly
2011-04-29, 01:04
My theory is:

Yukiatsu may had encounter her after she die like jintan but something regretful happen and Menma disappear.This may as well explain why Yuki had such obession to Menma.

Menma may also automatic defend herself by forget the memory of encounter with yuki because it hurt her too much>>?

That would mean Yuki maybe know the reason/secret/wish to why Menma appear.
In episode 3,yuki always go buy girl 's accesory maybe is to give Menma when she reappear again..or cross dressing..?

The theory about Yuki cross dressing as Menma may also be possible due to his obsession or regret and he goes to the river by cross dressing as Menma once in a while or all the time and Poppo just accidentally saw him.

serenade_beta
2011-04-29, 01:29
Gwahahaha! :heh::heh:
Geez, Yukiatsu is just so hilarious. So sick! :heh:
Gotta count on this sick guy to brighten up this anime. Sniffing the clothes of a dead childhood friend and now possible crossdressing in said clothes. :eyespin:

germanturkey
2011-04-29, 01:42
I think everyone see's their own version of Menma. but that'd be strange.

Proto
2011-04-29, 01:43
It's a little sad/hilarious watching people in this thread getting angry over how Anaru pals badmouth Jinta and sympathizing with his situation, and in the next breath the same people criticize Yukiatsu and call him a sicko.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-29, 01:49
It's a little sad/hilarious watching people in this thread getting angry over how Anaru pals badmouth Jinta and sympathizing with his situation, and in the next breath the same people criticize Yukiatsu and call him a sicko.

Well first of all, I said I felt sorry for Yukiatsu. But I'm a bit puzzled - are you equating Jinta's staying home from school with Yukiatsu's possibly sniffing and wearing a dead girl's dress?

OceanBlue
We sympathize with Jinta because we've seen enough about him to empathize with him. We call Yukiatsu a sicko because the only two things we know about him are that he goes to a prestigious school and that he sniffs Menma's clothes. And then some of us think he cross-dresses as a dead girl.

Honestly, I wonder if that's the case, but...

germanturkey
Well, Jinta's criticisms are warranted. he's a very flawed character. i personally don't like him that much.

winkel
2011-04-29, 01:53
Jinta: "There's an eggshell in here"

Menma: "Umm... Calcium?"

She's too cute. :heh:

Sebasu
2011-04-29, 02:00
Holy crap.

Yukiatsu is such a troll. But I'm actually more interested with Tsuruko's character.

Anyway, such a great episode as usual. This show is probably the best one this season for me. I didn't cry. but I have to admit I had a massive sad face on when Menma cried twice.

Ugh, I'm loathing the wait for the next episode. :heh:

ipodi
2011-04-29, 02:08

Yes, because sniffing your dead friend's garment is disturbing. I hope you can see such an action is more disturbing than someone who has succumbed to peer pressure and engaged in gossiping.

Proto
2011-04-29, 02:09
Well first of all, I said I felt sorry for Yukiatsu. But I'm a bit puzzled - are you equating Jinta's staying home from school with Yukiatsu's possibly sniffing and wearing a dead girl's dress?

It goes with libertarianism: I'm an advocate of the principle that people should be allowed and encouraged to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't bother anyone else, even if I personally disagree with whatever they are doing I have no place criticizing other people or imposing my morals. On that light, Jinta's or Yukiatsu's actions are no better or worse when compared with each other.

Which in this case strikes me as very sad: Except for you and a few others, people are quick to defend someone they identify with, but are quick to criticize the person they don't. Which doesn't make them any different that the 'cool girls' that they seem to despise.

Well, in the end that's part of what makes us human I guess. Including me :/

Yes, because sniffing your dead friend's garment is disturbing

I'm quoting you since you put in what many people in this thread think so concisely, but this is a general question. May I ask you who decided that? Yes, it's rhetorical.

Reckoner
2011-04-29, 02:18
I'd have to agree with Proto. People are too quick to be judgmental on Yukiatsu, the poor guy is screwed up like Jintan and everyone's ragging on him.

Though perhaps the reason for this is that unlike Jintan, he's actively being antagonistic to other people, specifically Jintan. Jintan hasn't directly hurt anybody.

Aesthetic Shampoo
2011-04-29, 02:20
At first, i thought the theory that Yukiatsu was crossdressing was a a bit far-fetched, but after watching him buy girly accessories I have little doubt left. But why would he bring Tsurumi with him?

At the end though, I'm certain he was lying.

OceanBlue
2011-04-29, 02:50
Which in this case strikes me as very sad: Except for you and a few others, people are quick to defend someone they identify with, but are quick to criticize the person they don't. Which doesn't make them any different that the 'cool girls' that they seem to despise.

Well, in the end that's part of what makes us human I guess. Including me :/
To be fair, I'd like to think that if most of us met Yukiatsu in real life, we wouldn't criticize him in front of his face. If the girls were shown to think that to themselves, but refrained from saying anything, they'd probably be much more favorable. I personally don't like the girls because they're openly demeaning to other people. On an internet forum where people gather to post their impressions on shows, you should expect things like this, but I'd like to think real life interactions work differently.

In my defense, the only time I thought Yukiatsu was sick was during the sniffing scene, and I took back that thought. He just hasn't shown any redeeming traits for me to find him anything more than interesting at this point.

Archon_Wing
2011-04-29, 03:04
Caught up on the last 2 episodes...

This show is pretty hard to watch, I'll say. It's very depressing, and I can see a lot of the characters just breaking under the trauma. Some worse than others of course. It looks like all of them can feel Menma in some way, which is why I thought it odd that Menma was running around talking to the others.

Fortunately, there's some funny and cute moments, nokemon lol. I thought that was a great scene where they could relax and be kids again. The get together in episode 3 was great too, when everyone realized what they had in common. But holy crap, Tsuriko is one cold bitch to say all that to Naruko, and she even went "cool story bro" to her later on. :p

In any case, the show manages just enough comedy to make the mood not completely depressing and to uplift the audience's spirit. Props to the writers for maintaining this fragile balance.

A common theme that seems to be that they're all basically the same people they were despite all the other changes they went through.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, huh? Together, maybe they can finally move on. Menma probably wants that.

Episode 2: 8/10, Episode 3: 9/10 This along with Steins;gate is the cream of the crop for this season. The ED song also rocks.

serenade_beta
2011-04-29, 03:08

Since I didn't say anything about Jinta being badmouthed, then I guess it is okay for me~

But why would he bring Tsurumi with him?

Because it would look weird for him to buy female clothes on his own? Thanks to Tsuruko, people would think he is buying for her, like the store assistant did.

OceanBlue
2011-04-29, 03:15
This show is pretty hard to watch, I'll say. It's very depressing, and I can see a lot of the characters just breaking under the trauma. Some worse than others of course. It looks like all of them can feel Menma in some way, which is why I thought it odd that Menma was running around talking to the others.

Honestly, I wonder about that. It's depressing for us, because we're slowly seeing the issues and trauma the characters face, but the worst has already happened to these characters. At this point, I feel like it'll just be their stress surfacing and then slowly healing.