PDA

View Full Version : Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (generic thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wandering-dreamer
2010-12-30, 18:08
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/wandering-dreamer/anohana3.jpg

So, this appears to be one of the noitaminA shows for the Spring 2011 block and another original series as well. Called Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. (We still do not know the name of the flower we saw that day.) there's not much info on it so far, just a few staff members.
A group of childhood friends who once were very close.

But upon entering high school, before they knew it the distance between them had grown.

The reclusive shut-in type "Jin-tan." [Yadomi Jinta is his real name, based on the character page]
Influenced by her gyaru friends, "Anaru." [Anjou Naruko]
Attending a college-prep school, "Yukiatsu" and "Tsuruko." [Matsuyuki Atsumu; Tsurumi Chiriko]
Not advancing to high school, but instead traveling, "Poppo." [Hisakawa Tetsudou]
And finally, the one girl who, despite all the others' changing, remained unchanged since that time when they were close friends in elementary school, "Menma." [Honma Meiko]

One day, Menma asks Jin-tan, "I'd like you to grant a wish of mine."
Though confused, Jin-tan tries to grant Menma's wish.

With Menma's wish as the spark, the childhood friends, living their own various lives in their own various circumstances, begin to gather once more.

Staff:
Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=19866)
Script: Mari Okada (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=39695)
Character Design: Masayoshi Tanaka (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=21266)

Website: http://www.anohana.jp/ only has a short trailer with the staff names in it for the moment, I think more information should be announced at the January 7th event for the noitaminA timeslot.

Tempester
2010-12-31, 04:02
I absolutely loved Toradora, so having the same team + Noitamina timeslot makes this a much-watch for me.

MisaoFan
2010-12-31, 04:08
Well the story takes place during summer season. It will be a romance/drama title.

totoum
2010-12-31, 05:57
Exciting news!

Aniplex + A1 studios + original anime makes it sound like an Anime no Chikara project more than a Noitamina one.

Is Anime no Chikara dead?

wandering-dreamer
2010-12-31, 09:48
Exciting news!

Aniplex + A1 studios + original anime makes it sound like an Anime no Chikara project more than a Noitamina one.

Is Anime no Chikara dead?

I think Anime no Chikara was planned for only three shows but maybe A1 just really liked making original shows. Actually, I think the other noitaminA spring 2011 show (C) is also an original story (and I know Fractal this season is) so maybe noitaminA is trying to branch out as well.

TJR
2010-12-31, 14:11
IIRC, the official line was that they would evaluate Anime no Chikara after the initial run and decide whether it should continue. Nevertheless, the project seems to have been a failure.

If TV Tokyo opted out, it's possible that broadcasters like Fuji (who has been eager to broaden the appeal of noitaminA) jumped in to snap up new shows that were originally planned as AnC candidates.

maybe A1 just really liked making original shows.

They're just an anime production workshop for Aniplex (no autonomy). It's the parent company that's eager to push original shows so as to decrease the industry's dependence on the publishing business.

Anyway, four of these originals will air during the first half of 2011 (Fractale, Magical Madoka, Anohana, Dog Days).

MisaoFan
2010-12-31, 14:29
Anyway, four of these originals will air during the first half of 2011 (Fractale, Magical Madoka, Anohana, Dog Days).

And also C, another noitaminA original project for April.

Tempester
2010-12-31, 17:28
I just realized that it's only very recently that Noitamina has been releasing more than 1 show concurrently. Is this a result of increasing popularity or merely a desperate attempt to promote original anime after Anime no Chikara? I hope it's the former.

TJR
2010-12-31, 17:36
I just realized that it's only very recently that Noitamina has been releasing more than 1 show concurrently. Is this a result of increasing popularity or merely a desperate attempt to promote original anime after Anime no Chikara? I hope it's the former.

Fuji has been concerned about the profitability of noitaminA, so they're aggressively going after the BD/DVD consumer. Doing more shows means more opportunities for success (i.e. the industry business model is based upon one big hit making up for several failures).

Hooking up with Aniplex (with its otaku oriented initiatives) simply offers a better chance of extending noitaminA to another demographic.......one that tends to invest in home video releases.....

noitaminA enjoys above average TV ratings, but that simply isn't enough to generate profit.

Tempester
2010-12-31, 17:47
Fuji has been concerned about the profitability of noitaminA, so they're aggressively going after the BD/DVD consumer. Doing more shows means more opportunities for success (i.e. the industry business model is based upon one big hit making up for several failures).

Hooking up with Aniplex (with its otaku oriented initiatives) simply offers a better chance of extending noitaminA to another demographic.......one that tends to invest in home video releases.....

noitaminA enjoys above average TV ratings, but that simply isn't enough to generate profit.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. There is nothing wrong with moe and other otaku-centered characteristics as long as proper storytelling is preserved. I hope this works out well for Noitamina.

Edit: Large version of opening post's picture:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2867/00pjc.jpg

Tyabann
2011-01-01, 18:14
Huh, this seems sort of interesting.

FireChick
2011-01-01, 18:36
Is it just me, or does that flower in her hair look surprisingly well painted and realistic?:twitch::heh:

wandering-dreamer
2011-01-01, 18:39
Is it just me, or does that flower in her hair look surprisingly well painted and realistic?:twitch::heh:

I was wondering if someone dragged and dropped it in photoshop actually. :p

Registered Member
2011-01-07, 10:33
New PV:

http://www.anohana.jp/special/pv01.html

wandering-dreamer
2011-01-07, 12:45
Hmm, looks rather moe for a noitaminA show doesn't it? :heh: And can someone translate the summary on the site so I can edit it into the first post?

FireChick
2011-01-07, 17:47
Awwwww!! I just saw the PV and it looks like it'll be a really nice and cute little show! I wonder if the girl narrating the PV is an actual child actress? If it is, her voice is adorable! Plus, they actually show little kids (probably aged somewhere between 7 or 11) in this show instead of moe-looking teenagers!:D And the music sounds very nice (is the person singing English?). That's it. I'm adding this to my spring 2011 anime next to Hana Saku Iroha!:D:D

Tyabann
2011-01-07, 17:48
Now it looks like Honey and Clover with younger characters. :heh:

TJR
2011-01-07, 17:52
The song doesn't do much for me, but the visuals look great!

Tempester
2011-01-08, 04:58
What seiyuu did that adorable voice in the preview? It's amazingly cute. Character designs look good. I'll definitely follow this show.

PV for people with horrible internet connections:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgPV5h2cNXo

totoum
2011-01-09, 22:04
So wait,a character that looks 10 years old is actually 10 years old and not a high schooler.Sweet :)

Tyabann
2011-01-10, 03:11
So wait,a character that looks 10 years old is actually 10 years old and not a high schooler.Sweet :)

...You realize that she's only ten in some parts of the PV, right?

It jumps back and forth between the cast as children and the cast as teenagers (reminds me of Majikoi or Little Busters, really).

totoum
2011-01-10, 03:23
...You realize that she's only ten in some parts of the PV, right?

Nope I didn't :heh:

I though the teenagers were different people,because she looked the same to me at both ages,though with a closer look I now see a difference.

Oh well,still looking forward to it.

Guardian Enzo
2011-01-14, 02:17
Thank Goc for Noitamina, is all I can say. I don't know if anyone would be doing shows like this anymore without it.

ars89
2011-01-14, 20:16
sorry for a stupid question but this is Anohana right?, i'm bad with the long names and always opt for the shorthand version

wandering-dreamer
2011-01-14, 20:40
Yep, that's the shorthand I've seen used, I just wanted to put the full title in just in case.

wandering-dreamer
2011-02-02, 21:54
Alright, I think this post (http://www.anohana.jp/news/index.html#n006) says that there will be a series of novels too, you can get a wallpaper for the series here (http://www.anohana.jp/special/index.html#wp) and if someone could translate this intro (http://www.anohana.jp/intro/index.html) (it's an image so I can't rely on google here) that would be great!

FireChick
2011-02-03, 05:49
Does anyone know if the cast has been announced already?

felix
2011-02-03, 14:20
sorry for a stupid question but this is Anohana right?, i'm bad with the long names and always opt for the shorthand version
Yep, that's the shorthand I've seen used, I just wanted to put the full title in just in case.
Given the main site is called anohana(.jp) it's technically the official shorthand.

antigone
2011-02-03, 17:50
together with C, i was initially hopeful for the revival of the noitaminA renaissance. but after reading the synopsis, i think this is doomed to fail.

M.Marangio
2011-02-10, 05:12
Does anyone know if the cast has been announced already?
Ai Kayano as Meiko Honma
Haruka Tomatsu as Naruko Anjō
Miyu Irino as Jinta Yadomi
Saori Hayami as Chiriko Tsurumi
Takahiro Sakurai as Atsumu Matsuyuki
Takayuki Kondou as Tetsudō Hisakawa
(from ANN)

Here is also an article with some sketches: http://journal.mycom.co.jp/news/2011/02/10/077/index.html

totoum
2011-02-10, 06:31
Ai Kayano as Meiko Honma
Haruka Tomatsu as Naruko Anjō
Miyu Irino as Jinta Yadomi
Saori Hayami as Chiriko Tsurumi
Takahiro Sakurai as Atsumu Matsuyuki
Takayuki Kondou as Tetsudō Hisakawa
(from ANN)

Is this a cross game reunion or what? :heh:
Here's hoping for many scenes between Hakura Tomatsu,Irino Miyu and Sakurai Takahiro and that those scenes turn out just as awasome as the ones in cross game.

MisaoFan
2011-02-10, 06:42
Is this a cross game reunion or what? :heh:
Here's hoping for many scenes between Hakura Tomatsu,Irino Miyu and Sakurai Takahiro and that those scenes turn out just as awasome as the ones in cross game.

Tomatsu and Irino also appeared in Asura Cryin' as Misao and Tomoharu, respectively.

Tyabann
2011-02-10, 11:48
but after reading the synopsis, i think this is doomed to fail.

Actually, I think it's guaranteed for success given that synopsis, but I feel as though we have very different definitions of 'success' and 'failure'.

FireChick
2011-02-10, 11:59
Ai Kayano as Meiko Honma

I love her voice. It's sooooo cute!

Echoes
2011-02-10, 12:39
I guess they're trying to beat Munto in the "longest title ever" category.

Looks sort of promising; Noitamina usually delivers, so I'll be keeping my eyes on this one.

felix
2011-02-10, 12:40
I guess they're trying to beat Munto in the "longest title ever" category.

Sora o Miageru Shōjo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Victory! :heh:

Raiga
2011-02-10, 13:17
Alright, I think this post (http://www.anohana.jp/news/index.html#n006) says that there will be a series of novels too, you can get a wallpaper for the series here (http://www.anohana.jp/special/index.html#wp) and if someone could translate this intro (http://www.anohana.jp/intro/index.html) (it's an image so I can't rely on google here) that would be great!
Bracketed text was added by me. Take the translation with a grain of salt.
A group of childhood friends who once were very close.

But upon entering high school, before they knew it the distance between them had grown.

The reclusive shut-in type "Jin-tan." [Yadomi Jinta is his real name, based on the character page]
Influenced by her gyaru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogal) friends, "Anaru." [Anjou Naruko]
Attending a college-prep school, "Yukiatsu" and "Tsuruko." [Matsuyuki Atsumu; Tsurumi Chiriko]
Not advancing to high school, but instead traveling, "Poppo." [Hisakawa Tetsudou]
And finally, the one girl who, despite all the others' changing, remained unchanged since that time when they were close friends in elementary school, "Menma." [Honma Meiko]

One day, Menma asks Jin-tan, "I'd like you to grant a wish of mine."
Though confused, Jin-tan tries to grant Menma's wish.

With Menma's wish as the spark, the childhood friends, living their own various lives in their own various circumstances, begin to gather once more.

Sounds good to me. I'll be watching.

wandering-dreamer
2011-02-10, 18:06
Thanks, added it to the first post and that summary does make the show sound better than what I was expecting (based off the more moe than I usually like character designs that is). And is there anyway I can change the thread's title so it's not so darn long?

Grim_Reaper
2011-02-25, 07:24
There's a new pv on the official site.
http://www.anohana.jp/
Looks good to me.

inkphoenix
2011-02-27, 22:47
Talked about official site.
http://www.anohana.jp/chara/index.html
The character page updated all of main character pics.(both in their past time and current time) now!

Love the premise and the character design of this show.Talk about the design.It comes from the same guy who designed Toradora,Reborn and HOTD right? They are all looks lovely.:p

Can't wait for it to come out ! ;)

Woland
2011-03-10, 11:50
The second PV is now available on the official website

http://www.anohana.jp/

Utz
2011-03-10, 13:05
Air date has been confirmed: April 15th at 01:15.

Opening and ending themes also announced:

Opening: 「青い栞」 by Galileo Galilei

Ending: 「secret base~君がくれたもの~(10 years after ver.)」 produced by estlabo

Guardian Enzo
2011-03-10, 14:00
Noitamina you magnificent bastards, looks like you've done it again. With each tidbit and PV that comes out this looks more and more like a keeper.

It is me, or does the grade-school version of the male lead look exactly like Ryouta from Class 5-2?

inkphoenix
2011-03-11, 07:55
Wow..I'm really hooked in this show by the lastest PV.
Somehow...It looks superb emotional.When you thing that this is only PV.If it's full show.Damn so exciting.
Soundtrack, voice acting, animation, background,camera angle,character design and the premise. Everything is fit.

Look like candidate for the sleeper hits is here now.:D

karice67
2011-03-11, 09:26
^
Me too.
And that last line in the PV is a killer.

kuroishinigami
2011-03-11, 09:36
It seems like this show will be a good tearjerker one. Hopefully it won't betray my expectation and deliver a lukewarm friendship story instead.

inkphoenix
2011-03-11, 09:52
^
Me too.
And that last line in the PV is a killer.

Please translate it.I want to know too.:p

Kanon
2011-03-11, 16:56
Please translate it.I want to know too.:p

"Did you know I died?"

Or something like that...

Menma being a ghost would explain why she walks around barefooted.

wandering-dreamer
2011-03-11, 18:53
"Did you know I died?"

Would also explain why she looks so much younger than the rest of the cast, but, until I see a body, it sounds more like a metaphorical statement than anything else. Or does she specifically say "killed" or such in Japanese?

karice67
2011-03-11, 19:14
Would also explain why she looks so much younger than the rest of the cast, but, until I see a body, it sounds more like a metaphorical statement than anything else. Or does she specifically say "killed" or such in Japanese?
She says something like "Even I know...that I'm already dead."

Kakkou
2011-03-11, 19:45
The new PV was so good that I became genuinely interested in this besides the wonderful piece of music. So much so that I had a crack at translating the PV in my blog (http://yoshi-x2.livejournal.com/7733.html). I'll leave it here for those interested:
Jinta: Back then, that summer was when everyone followed me. Yes, even on that day.
-----
Meiko: A friend?
Jinta: Of course not. It's not like anyone cares about me.
Naruko: It doesn't really matter if you (Jinta) came or not. But you're such a disgrace!
Atsumu: What's with that "Menma"?
Jinta: Ah!
Atsumu: Are you... still saying that? (as in,"Are you still using those childish nicknames?")
Jinta: Do you.. do you get it now? Everyone's changed. No, aren't I the one who changed the most?
-----
Meiko: Wait, Jintan! Jintan!!
Jintan: When you're around I keep remembering all the bad things. It's annoying.
Naruko: I'm the real disgrace...
Atsumu: Skipping school and calling out to Meiko Honma; Are you retarded or something?
Jinta: !!!
Meiko: Jintan! Yukiatsu, you dummy!
Chiriko: People change when they get to know Meiko Honma. You're no exception, right?
Meiko: Menma knows... that Menma... that I'm dead. I know that.
-----

* Sounds like he literally said "scientific/technical name". Considering the show's title it's safe to assume that they really did find an unknown flower at some point (when they were kids?) and Jinta chose to name it after the apparently deceased Menma. Scratch that I was wrong orz.

karice67
2011-03-11, 20:16
Atsumu: Out of all names you called it Meiko Honma*. Are you retarded or something?
-----

* Sounds like he literally said "scientific/technical name". Considering the show's title it's safe to assume that they really did find an unknown flower at some point (when they were kids?) and Jinta chose to name it after the apparently deceased Menma.
Sounds to me more like Yukiatsu was saying "Not going to school and (calling out/speaking) Meiko Honma's name. (Are you sure your head's on right?)"

Kakkou
2011-03-11, 20:39
Sounds to me more like Yukiatsu was saying "Not going to school and (calling out/speaking) Meiko Honma's name. (Are you sure your head's on right?)"

I definitely struggled with that line. It sounded like he said ”学名数に本間芽衣子の名前呼んで” which made sense when I tried taking the title into context. Your skipping school part also fits Jinta's hikki status but what was said didn't really sound like it. Then again I'm still an amateur so you may be right.

karice67
2011-03-11, 21:28
It was 「学校も行かずに本間麻衣子の名前を(よんで*)」 which seems to fit with what Yukiatsu was saying earlier in the PV (~"What do you mean "Menma"? Even now, are you still saying that kind of thing?")

*sounds like it could be よんめ but that doesn't make sense...

wandering-dreamer
2011-03-11, 23:18
@Karice: I very rarely come across translated PVs for shows I like hence why I asked. But hmmm, from the extra translations that does sound rather literal....

Kakkou
2011-03-11, 23:31
It was 「学校も行かずに本間麻衣子の名前を(よんで*)」 which seems to fit with what Yukiatsu was saying earlier in the PV (~"What do you mean "Menma"? Even now, are you still saying that kind of thing?")

*sounds like it could be よんめ but that doesn't make sense...Okay, so I had a Japanese friend of mine watch the PV and you're right. Thanks for the heads up. Time to fix my mistake.

karice67
2011-03-11, 23:38
@Karice: I very rarely come across translated PVs for shows I like hence why I asked. But hmmm, from the extra translations that does sound rather literal....

Sorry, it wasn't meant to sound like I was being snarky or that it was directed specifically at you. Would have translated the whole thing last night if I hadn't been really distracted.

inkphoenix
2011-03-12, 06:48
Thank you for the translation,Everyone.:)

Really.. It's a some kind of a bit surprised.But when the time that I learned "that" the story for this series become in the more clearly stage for me.

It's like the whole thing about make my wish(meiko) come true is the last thing that she want to do before she goes to rest in peace.maybe she thought that if everyone come back and play together again.Jinta will smile and cheerful like before. But reality is the other things. And if the wish come true and meiko will be truly disappeared in that time.That sound sad enough.:(

Damn my head is goes on.Can't wait for this series to come out.:heh:

kuroishinigami
2011-03-12, 10:37
"Did you know I died?"

It's more like

"I know! At least I know that I'm already dead!"

Lugia_Tsuyu
2011-03-12, 14:00
I sure hope that she's not dead. Maybe she's in a coma and her spirit is wandering around or something like that. 'Cause, though the anime hasn't even air yet, I like Jintan x Menma already.
And there is something about the orange twin-tail girl that I dislike, for now anyways, because she seems to be an annoying Tsundere character. Don't misunderstand me, I like a lot of Tsundere(s), most of the time they have this cute side that just makes you go all 'aw'. But Naruko (or whatever her name is) looks like a b*&chy Tsundere instead of adorable one.

I'm so looking forward to this anime!!! Can't wait!!!

P.S. And I hope the situation in Japan turns out for the better for all of them.

tsunade666
2011-03-12, 15:02
looks awesome and the story too. I'll be expecting a lot from this one.

inkphoenix
2011-03-13, 03:30
I sure hope that she's not dead. Maybe she's in a coma and her spirit is wandering around or something like that. 'Cause, though the anime hasn't even air yet, I like Jintan x Menma already.
And there is something about the orange twin-tail girl that I dislike, for now anyways, because she seems to be an annoying Tsundere character. Don't misunderstand me, I like a lot of Tsundere(s), most of the time they have this cute side that just makes you go all 'aw'. But Naruko (or whatever her name is) looks like a b*&chy Tsundere instead of adorable one.

I'm so looking forward to this anime!!! Can't wait!!!

P.S. And I hope the situation in Japan turns out for the better for all of them.

Yeah..Naruko looks like a bitch tsundere. But one line in this trailer make me feel really sorry for her.

Naruko: I'm the real disgrace...
I really understand her situation here.If you think that you can't help one of your best friend from the condition like Jintan be now...
But It show that she still care about Jintan too much.Although it isn't in the same way like before...

P.S. A bit off-topic here.but from all the news around me.I wish japan will be recovered form this disaster soon.
Now anime isn't my most concern anymore.I wish everyone in Japan will be safe. Really..:(

ars89
2011-03-13, 06:16
thanks for the translations everyone. Made me even more excited for this.

wandering-dreamer
2011-03-23, 19:47
According to a report on ANN, it looks like Ano Hana might be simulcast on CR but no confirmation yet. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-22/crunchyroll-ios-app-lists-spring-2011-anime)

Raiga
2011-03-24, 01:39
According to a report on ANN, it looks like Ano Hana might be simulcast on CR but no confirmation yet. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-22/crunchyroll-ios-app-lists-spring-2011-anime)

Nice! If CR really has all those I'll be quite happy, since including this show that's most of what I want to watch next season. Knew the account would be worth it. :3

Dr. Casey
2011-03-26, 23:39
Anyone else getting Myself;Yourself vibes from this? You know, since it's about a group of childhood friends that have all changed over the years. Think it's an interesting theme, so this is one of my most anticipated shows for the Spring season. The smothered in emotion previews are also nice.

Dennofox
2011-03-29, 12:43
So,
Are we (almost) sure that Menma is a ghost or something like that or is it still arguable ?
Because I would prefer to see her alive.
The idea of the ghost is not bad but... I don't know i feel as if it is unnecessary. The plot is interesting enough without supernatural stuff. And the ghost who wants to see her friends happy together before leaving sounds a bit cliche in my opinion.

ZODDGUTS
2011-03-29, 14:16
Also the thing is friends won't always stick together for the rest of their lives. Especially ones you know in Elementary school, when you get older you and your friends start developing different taste in stuff. They start hanging out with other people who share their interest in those things. I was close with my elementary friends up to Middle school but around High School we started to hang out with other people. Just part of life.

kuroishinigami
2011-03-30, 22:55
Also the thing is friends won't always stick together for the rest of their lives. Especially ones you know in Elementary school, when you get older you and your friends start developing different taste in stuff. They start hanging out with other people who share their interest in those things. I was close with my elementary friends up to Middle school but around High School we started to hang out with other people. Just part of life.

Yet that doesn't mean he/she stop being your friend right? I also have a group of friend from kindergarten years. We have very different tastes and different group of people we like to hang out with so we kinda grow apart during our high school years, but that doesn't stop us being friend. We still sometimes hang out, albeit rarely, and always willing to help out each other should one of us get in trouble.

ZODDGUTS
2011-03-31, 01:54
Uh never said that they completely stop being your friends derp, just stop hanging out with you. There just your old friends that you don't hang out with anymore. Luckily for me I got to hang out with a few of my old friends, in High School. Not all of them are going to stick with you up to High School, most end up hanging out with other people. One close friend I knew in Elementary School and Middle ended up going to that Goth/emo crowd, we pretty much stop hanging out with each other. We still said sup/hi to each other but that's it.

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-08, 16:00
ANN tells me that this (http://www.anohana.jp/special/gentei01.html) is another new trailer (I think with bits of the ending song which I also believe is sung by some of the characters) but I also have a hard time with Anohana's site so I can't actually see it.

ars89
2011-04-08, 16:18
Thanks for the link. Well if it's sung by the characters i think they did a good job, since i liked it. The visuals show the three girls reminiscing about when they were younger.

Kakkou
2011-04-08, 19:58
I think the new pv was the entire ED sequence judging by the visuals and length. They did a nice job on covering the ED. For those who aren't familiar, the song is a cover of "secret base ~kimi ga kureta mono~" by ZONE. It's a beautiful song and was also covered as one of the ED themes for the Kyou no Go no Ni TV series. I really recommend giving the original a listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFCHNgkfU10).

Raiga
2011-04-08, 20:07
Well CR just announced their last simulcast for this season and this was not one of them. I guess the previous hints are now un-confirmed.

New PV definitely looks like it might be the actual ED for the series. Something about the animation reminds me of the Toradora ED. I mean, character designs of course, but also something about the style... and it could be the umbrellas, too.

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-08, 20:43
Got the PV to work and it did seem like a full length ED and I liked it pretty well. And yeah, guess CR isn't going to simulcast it after all, there's still a chance Funimation might, really hope they do since I hate waiting on fansubs these days, having a set time for the simulcast is just much more convenient.

Dr. Casey
2011-04-08, 22:51
Sometimes the video works for me, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it works but stops partway through. It's weird. It's a great song though, I hope the video is uploaded somewhere else more stable. I love the white-haired girl's eyes around 20 seconds in, they're so beautiful and sentimental.

TJR
2011-04-08, 23:23
New PV definitely looks like it might be the actual ED for the series. Something about the animation reminds me of the Toradora ED. I mean, character designs of course, but also something about the style... and it could be the umbrellas, too.

The imagery and storyboard borrow from various Toradora and Railgun sequences (i.e. check out the shots used at the start of the 2nd Toradora OP, as well as the end of the 1st Railgun ED). It's a bit dull compared to some of Nagai's best efforts, but I suppose the ending sequence isn't so important.

totoum
2011-04-08, 23:47
Here's youtube link:

lB2rMhu8EB8

BaKaBaKaOtaKu
2011-04-09, 00:00
i'm seriously anticipating this show. XD it gave me the ToraDora impression. But maybe it'd be better than toradora. XD

DragoonKain3
2011-04-09, 00:02
I hate you all. Now I'm readdicted to the song, since in Kyou no 5 no ni I played the ED every time XD. (To be fair, I didn't appreciate it at first since I feel the OVA ED was superior, but now it has grown on me :heh:)

Now that the song is featured in 2 anime (and deals with the actual subject matter), maybe I should make it the theme song of my absolute moe property lol.

Next week cant come fast enough.

FireChick
2011-04-10, 11:18
Okay, I seriously LOVE that ED theme song!:D

Dr. Casey
2011-04-14, 14:07
why's nobody talking about AnoHana, didn't this air like four hours ago

Hope this is a two-cour series, it looks really good and stories with this many main characters (5-6, looks like) can really benefit from being longer than just the usual 12 or 13 episodes.

FireChick
2011-04-14, 14:47
I would, but I don't see any RAWs around yet (though I'm eagerly wanting to watch it), let alone subs.

Pellissier
2011-04-14, 14:55
Hope this is a two-cour series, it looks really good and stories with this many main characters (5-6, looks like) can really benefit from being longer than just the usual 12 or 13 episodes.
It's a NoitaminA show, so it will most likely have 1 cour of 11 episodes. The only NoitaminA anime that had 2 cours in the years have been Honey & Clover (2005), Nodame Cantabile (2007) and Shiki (2010).

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-14, 16:53
It's a NoitaminA show, so it will most likely have 1 cour of 11 episodes. The only NoitaminA anime that had 2 cours in the years have been Honey & Clover (2005), Nodame Cantabile (2007) and Shiki (2010).

Adding onto that, two shows have already been confirmed for the summer season (Usagi/Bunny Drop and No. 6) so it's only going to be 11 episodes. And as Firechick says, you find us subs, we'll watch them and talk about it.

Dr. Casey
2011-04-14, 17:09
Eh, I wasn't bitching about the thread's quietness. I was just confused.

Yeah, I'll just wait for the subs then... I'm curious to see what the opening's like. It will be hard for the opening to outdo the ending though, that was a great song.

InternHertz
2011-04-14, 17:33
Wow that first episode was amazing.
Best surprise this season so far...good job A-1.

applejuice
2011-04-14, 18:05
You know what? I think this might save the noitaminA from the chain of bombing...

applejuice
2011-04-14, 21:02
^ Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Seeing the preorder ranking, this season's haken (hegemony) will be the hard fight between Steins;Gate, Ano-hana and Nichijou. (Tiger & Bunny is iono due to insane fujoushi involvement.)

Although all three cannot beat Madoka Magica anyway, lol.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-14, 21:17
Highly anticipating this show. A blog (http://psgels.blogsome.com/)that I rate in high regard gave it a 90% rating. Looks like Mari Okada is on fire this season with this and Hanasaku Iroha.

Kakkou
2011-04-14, 21:45
Another solid show that started well. I was pretty hyped up for this and it met my expectations so far. Man this season is really brimming with good shows.

I really can't stop listening to the ED despite having looped the original so many times before the show premiered.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-14, 22:06
You know what? I think this might save the noitaminA from the chain of bombing......by crossing over into territory that is at least partly occupied by otaku. So many great noitaminA shows (House of Five Leaves, in particular, my favorite show of last year) bomb because they are not aimed at any Japanese audience's sweet spot. This might just hit enough of one to succeed.

Nice first episode. Story well set up. Nice work by Irino Miyu (so what else is new?) and by Tomatsu Haruka. And I'm closer to accepting Kayano Ai's extreme little voice than I was from the trailer.

I enjoyed both the OP and ED.

serenade_beta
2011-04-14, 23:45
Quiet thread, indeed. It is quite a shame too, since the quality of this episode was far better than any of those template moe anime out there.
A sad thing indeed, but well, it doesn't change the quality of the anime (usually) and I'll still be able to enjoy it.

Most emotional first episode this season. I was just so :sad: throughout the entire thing, but of course, in a good meaning.
The OP itself kind of spoiled everything (Girl is ghost, group gets separated, group begins to gather again after many years past), but that didn't change the impact of the story.
Also, the characters so far feel so... flesh-y...? Real? Anyways, something good!

There were so many anime today, I thought about actually skipping this show, but it turns out this one is one of the best today!
Wow!
What was Yamakan about, huh?

PS: Dang, using Anjo(?)'s nickname is just so funny for some reason. :heh:
PPS: When will Poppo evolve into Pigeon?

LusterFlare
2011-04-15, 01:04
Solid first episode. Really tugs at your heartstrings, especially when that ED song rolled D:

One of my more anticipated shows this season. Unfortunately, it seems like this is one of those good shows that fly under the radar.

OceanBlue
2011-04-15, 01:18
It's probably quiet because subs just came out.

It was a really, really good first episode. I was really surprised, since I thought Hanairo would be my favorite of the season, but this started out stronger than Hanairo. I have to agree with what serenade_beta and LusterFlare said. They took everything I wanted to say.

This is one amazing season.

Raiga
2011-04-15, 01:18
A great first episode. ^^ Looks like lots of drama's been set up already, but it looks like lots of heartwarming is in store, too. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 01:27
This anime was highly anticipated, and it didn't let me down!

Seriously, Ano Hana just upstaged Hanu-Saku Iroha.

Very emotional first episode. I don't usually get so emotionally into a show so fast. Okada outdoing herself this season. I really am interested in where we're going with this show.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-15, 02:19
First episode just confirms it; undoubtedly this is my #1 show of the season. A notch below in visual as Hanasaku Iroha, about the same depth, but the first episode had twice the impact then both episodes of HI combined IMO.

Oh yeah, can't forget about having three times the moe as well for me, but that's neither here nor there... :heh:

winkel
2011-04-15, 02:21
The show of the season right here, a worthy continuation of the NoitamA slot. After Horou Musuko, I was excited to see what's next, but I wasn't expecting anything like this... beautiful and touching, all within the span of the first episode.

OceanBlue
2011-04-15, 02:22
I just realized...
Considering Menma's dead, even if everyone get happy endings, she's still going to leave in the end. Either that, or she gets resurrected or something [which I don't think will happen]. Either way, I think this anime is going to make me cry by the end.

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 02:35
I just realized...
Considering Menma's dead, even if everyone get happy endings, she's still going to leave in the end. Either that, or she gets resurrected or something [which I don't think will happen]. Either way, I think this anime is going to make me cry by the end.

It's certainly going to manage to pull on the heart strings if this episode is anything to go by... :uhoh:

iceyfw
2011-04-15, 02:35
i already have a feeling i can see the ending of this show, but it is definitely emotional in its own way on some level when some of its audience watches it. it is most likely because the audience can relate to how some kids in their childhood grew apart from them while living in the same area and also changing how they look physically and sometimes their personality too. this and denpa onna are the only anime shows which intrigued my interests so far this season. now to wait for deadman wonderland raws to appear and watch C later.

Archon_Wing
2011-04-15, 02:41
Ah, decent series. At first, it looked like a random harem, but uh oh... his guilt has driven him mad! It's unfortunate that Jintan's entire life was basically stalled because of this setback, and he can't moved on. Menma's death has also pulled the entire group apart and they just went off.

I like how the show does constantly show that he can't get away.

Not bad, and I like Tsurumi. :heh: I'll give it an 8 for the first episode.

Pellissier
2011-04-15, 03:14
I agree, this was more powerful and impactful than Hanasaku Iroha. Perhaps because being 11 episode it has to concentrate its emotions whereas HI being 26 can dilute them, but overall it just makes you more involved.

When Jintan said, "that smile tore my heart apart" (when she said Menma was ugly) wasn't he spot on? I mean, I almost felt the same even if I had never seen Menma before. It takes some consistent script skills to convey so much a feelings in en episode 1 when you're just supposed to slowly become familiar with the characters. Also the art is unbelievably classy and colorful, top notch.

I noticed a lot of things that reminded me of Cross Game. Starting from the seiyuu of the 3 main CG characters being here, Tomatsu Haruka (Aoba there, Anaru here), Irino Miyu (Kou, Jintan), Sakurai Takahiro (Azuma, Yukiatsu). But also the plot:

Similarities:

- Kids using to hang out together and starting having crushes betwen them.
- A little girl died, it seems in the same way. Drowned.
- The main character was in love with the girl who's dead, and he was not the only one.
- There's a tangible feeling of loss and mourning on the characters.
- There's the feeling that time has frozen for several years and now starts to move again.

Of course, there were consistent differences in Cross Game:

- Love between the protagonist and the deceased girl was already mutual and "established" at the time she died.
- Friendships weren't affected by the happening. No senses of guilt, also because no one was responsible of anything.
- Characters didn't significantly change when grown up.

All in all, a great watch.

LusterFlare
2011-04-15, 03:21
I noticed a lot of things that reminded me of Cross Game. Starting from the seiyuu of the 3 main CG characters being here, Tomatsu Haruka (Aoba there, Anaru here), Irino Miyu (Kou, Jintan), Sakurai Takahiro (Azuma, Yukiatsu). But also the plot:

Similarities:

- The main character was in love with the girl who's dead, and he was not the only one.
- There's the feeling that time has frozen for several years and now starts to move again.

- Love between the protagonist and the deceased girl was already mutual and "established" at the time she died.
- Friendships weren't affected by the happening. No senses of guilt, also because no one was responsible of anything.

Very good observations on the similarities with CG. I'm one of the many here on AS that loved CG.

mpt37
2011-04-15, 03:28
I thought of Cross Game too after watching this but in the sense that both series packed such an emotional punch with just the first episode. Didn't even realize overlapping voice actors until you mentioned it.

I don't think anything too unexpected will happen with the story but I'm still really excited to see everything unfold.

Forsaken_Infinity
2011-04-15, 03:49
Continuing with the comparisons with Cross Game, as far as pure emotional punch goes, NOTHING will surpass Cross Game's episode 1 (it was just that good and the manga chapter is just as if not more emotionally involving). But you know, as good as Cross Game was, episode 1 was the best episode of the show and it was quite a few levels above the rest of the show. On the other hand, I seriously expect things to get better (from a viewer's point of view) from here on for this show.

Westlo
2011-04-15, 04:16
I won't go into detail since people have already said what I wanted and expressed it better than I could. Just dropping it to say how much I liked this first episode, also really happy seeing it rank so highly on Amazon Jp. Came out of nowhere to grab the #6 spot for the moment, hope it maintains interest and stays top 20...

Used Can
2011-04-15, 04:21
Well, fuckity, fuck fuck... Why the hell did I watch this?
Now, don't get me wrong, this seems like a beautiful story, but hell, I'm sure this is going to get me in a very sad mood with each passing episode, and quite likely in a depression after this ends.

Damn it!

-Sho-
2011-04-15, 04:37
Wow first episode was great , very interesting show with childhood friends and their relationships. Sad story for Menma... Everyone has changed after this... now she wants to get them together again. Really , promising anime.
So Menma is a ghost that can still touch things and only Jinta can see her.
Very nice ED song.. looking forward for more.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 04:50
Unfortunately, I was never hooked into Cross Game so I can't really share the positive reception, but nonetheless, this was a fantastic pilot episode. In all seriousness, I think Anohana has one-upped Hanasaku Iroha in the emotional drama department, but Hanasaku Iroha is probably still better in the coming of age department and in animation quality. But Anohana was still very pretty and well animated.

What I am most impressed by is the script writing. This is how you write an emotional drama without falling into the "cheap" category. Although it did have a few lighthearted moments to "lighten to load", it did not resort to slapstick comedy and it also transitioned very well from its lighthearted moments to its dramatic moments. It's subtle, not hammy, but still provides that emotional punch. An example is the scene where Menma's mother was praying for her dead daughter and where Menma's brother was telling her mother to forget about her resulting in Menma crying that she knows she dead was particularly touching, but not hammy.

I also applaud at how Menma's moeness actually significantly adds to the drama. Instead of invoking a "Omg Kawaii" reaction, it instead invokes a "Omg how tragic such a cute girl has to face such a fate", thus giving it an emotional attachment in conjunction with visual pleasure. The last time this happened to me was with Ushio in Clannad AS.

Talking about Clannad AS:

I just realized...

If this series ends like it did with Clannad AS, I am seriously going to punch my monitor in disgust because that is the cheapest ending to a drama series you can get alongside the "everybody dies" ending.

Anyways, Mari Okada has activated god-mode this season with this and Hanasaku Iroha. I am optimistic that both series will continue with the level of quality it has taken off with.

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 04:56

If this series ends like it did with Clannad AS, I am seriously going to punch my monitor in disgust because that is the cheapest ending to a drama series you can get alongside the "everybody dies" ending.

If Okada pulls off something like that in the end, my praise for her goes out the window. Thankfully, I don't think she will.

alu546
2011-04-15, 05:09
Jintan should die in the end and join Menma in the afterlife.

If their is a show that surpasses Haanaku Iroha for me this season then this could be it.

Tenshi_
2011-04-15, 05:11
I hope that this show won't be underrated :P for me, this is probably one of the best show in Spring.

I might be exaggerating since only episode 1 is out but, it sure got my attention :D

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 05:15
Jintan should die in the end and join Menma in the afterlife.

Or a better ending imo, is Menma disappears but Jintan is able to get a hold of himself and life goes on. The bittersweet ending. Always the best in a drama imo.

Haak
2011-04-15, 05:25
Hot damn, I never expected such a strong contender against Hana Saku Iroha so soon. This season is really starting to deliver. I really liked the first episode. Definitely a keeper.

MeoTwister5
2011-04-15, 05:26
... Wow. Talk about getting brass knuckles to the gut, then having the same fist pick you up and try to put you back on your feet. I probably haven't seen such a degree of first episode catharsis since Kitamura Kou realized that all he had to do was cry.

NoitaminA continues to impress. Between this and Hana-Saku Iroha, 2 or 3 more good shows and this'll be the strongest single season since spring 2009.

Sides
2011-04-15, 05:38
Just wow. Interesting story and good animation and the fact that they used secret base as ending theme gets a mega bonus. Makes me want to look for my zone cds.

Z3120
2011-04-15, 05:43
"My stress. My trauma."
It's almost unbelievable to have Hanasaku Iroha and AnoHana in the same season, yet here they both are. This is my favorite show between the two.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 05:51
"My stress. My trauma."
It's almost unbelievable to have Hanasaku Iroha and AnoHana in the same season, yet here they both are. This is my favorite show between the two.

It's almost more unbelievable that both are anime originals which have their script/story/screenplay written by Mari Okada, who is of True Tears, Toradora and Wandering Son fame.

SaintessHeart
2011-04-15, 06:20
This show is brilliant, but I am tired of watching tragedies and nostalgia because life really sucks for me right now.

Maybe I'll accumulate and watch all in one shot, but nonetheless, this is definitely going to have a great storyline.

Ravenblitz
2011-04-15, 07:07
definitely one of the best shows this season :P Menma sold me plus some egg ramen

Kanon
2011-04-15, 07:33
Fantastic first episode. It looks like this series will be a major tear-jerker. Bring it on, I say! I don't mind depressing series one bit.

My favorites scenes were the one at Menma's house, and the flashback showing what happened before Menma died. It's interesting that Menma can physically interact with the world of the living. Even though nobody besides Jinta can see her, she can still communicate with them. Oh, and it also means she really did rub her butt on Jinta's crotch... that opens up some prospects.

I'm not going to compare it with Hanasaku Iroha, as those two shows are too different. I shall enjoy them both for what they have to offer.

The only part I found distracting was the whole Anaru (anal) thing ..., which made that whole series of scenes after really obscenely hilarious.

Damn, I was so into the show I didn't even notice that :heh:
Menma really needs to change her nickname.

mikoo
2011-04-15, 07:44
Wasn't expecting much by the summary I had read but easily best first episode this season for me.

Menma... :sad:

Westlo
2011-04-15, 07:56
AnoHana just jumped to #2 on Amazon pre rankings... I don't think Madoka even hit top 5 until the 3rd episode.. This is no guarentee its going to do something like 40k or whatever (stays top 20 for a few months and maybe it will...) but shooting straight up to the top after it aired shows the reception has been great.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/ref=sv_d_3

Spring 2011 anime in the Top 100

#2 AnoHana Vol 1
#8 Tiger & Bunny Vol 1
#32 Steins;Gate Vol 1
#44 Tiger & Bunny Vol 2
#66 Steins;Gate Vol 2
#76 Steins;Gate Vol 3
#77 Steins;Gate Vol 5
#78 Steins;Gate Vol 4
#80 Steins;Gate Vol 9
#82 Steins;Gate Vol 6
#84 Steins;Gate Vol 7
#87 Steins;Gate Vol 8

applejuice
2011-04-15, 08:01
AnoHana just jumped to #2 on Amazon pre rankings... I don't think Madoka even hit top 5 until the 3rd episode.. This is no guarentee its going to do something like 40k or whatever (stays top 20 for a few months and maybe it will...) but shooting straight up to the top after it aired shows the reception has been great.

The problem is it has to 'stay' there, as you said. Madoka Magica's greatest strength was the fact that every episode after 3rd episode had something incredible. Ana hona isn't type of animation that can do that easily, as it is slice-of-life drama centered.

Regardless, Ano Hana is getting deserving attention. I just saw contents for the first DVD volume for Ano Hana, and it is just incredible. So many special contents for average volume.

Westlo
2011-04-15, 08:22
The problem is it has to 'stay' there, as you said.

I know, but its still had an amazing start. I mean look at the other shows that aired that night and they can't even break the top 100. Denpa which was low 90's at times before it aired can't even stay in the Top 100 after airing. Hanasaku which was easily the most discussed show of the first week on 2ch (21 threads aka 21,000 posts compared to 11 for Steins;gate and KyoAni's show) couldn't even break Top 100 for quite a long time.. and has barely been in the Top 100 period

I hope that KyoAni show gets listed soon so we can see the general shape of the season when it comes to sales... I thought Denpa Onna could be a sleeper hit but looks like I was wrong on that... never thought AnoHana could be in the mix....same with Tiger & Bunny...

felix
2011-04-15, 08:24
It's almost more unbelievable that both are anime originals which have their script/story/screenplay written by Mari Okada, who is of True Tears, Toradora and Wandering Son fame.I see the similarities, but the shows are different in principle, in my opinion.

Great first episode.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 08:35
I see the similarities, but the shows are different in principle, in my opinion.

Great first episode.

I was more referring to the sheer quality of both series - and how one person is able to simultaneously write the story/script/screenplay for it in the same season.

But you're right, both series are slightly different. AnoHana seems to go for more of a slice of life/drama/tragedy route whilst HanaIro seems to be going for more of a slice of life/coming of age route.

Saturn Beaver
2011-04-15, 09:05
Continuing with the comparisons with Cross Game, as far as pure emotional punch goes, NOTHING will surpass Cross Game's episode 1 (it was just that good and the manga chapter is just as if not more emotionally involving). But you know, as good as Cross Game was, episode 1 was the best episode of the show and it was quite a few levels above the rest of the show. On the other hand, I seriously expect things to get better (from a viewer's point of view) from here on for this show.

Yeah, I haven't watched a lot of anime, but I still would rank it among one of the best first episode of all time. In just 20+ minutes, they managed to pull a punch to the gut and a heart wrenching story, while at the same time establishing the future plot of the series (Koshien) and the tone that the series will take. Some argues taht the manga approach of having us know her in a volume is better, but personally I liked this one too because it made a great impact in just one episode. Often other shows' first episode is not enough and you need to wait and see for more, hence the three episode taste test, but this is better.

Also, the reason the impact from Cross Game hits harder is possibly because the death is sudden and surprising. Here, pretty much the moment we know other people can see Menma we can already deduce she's a ghost, so the impact is lessened a bit.

Well, the others have already said it more eloquently than I can, but yeah, this show is amazing. When the ending song starts playing, my heartstrings are tugged like they've never been tugged before. And yeah, the song is quite catchy, this is one of the few times I'm glad I can't speak Japanese, because if I understand the lyrics as I'm humming it right now, I'll probably bawl like a baby again.

I'm usually not a fan of this serious, tear-jerking kind of anime, but hey, sometimes you need a good cry once in a while, and that won't be the only thing this show will bring excellently, so bring it.

cyth
2011-04-15, 09:16
The only part I found distracting was the whole Anaru (anal) thing ..., which made that whole series of scenes after really obscenely hilarious.Kind of hilarious, but also fairly distracting because she kind of looks like a high-school slut.

Haak
2011-04-15, 10:06
I can't help wonder: If Menma is capable of moving stuff then why doesn't she just pour a whole bag of flour over her head and start wiriting stuff on a piece of paper to communicate...

Cnidocyte
2011-04-15, 10:21
I've found it fairly amusing having heard people discussing this and Hana saku Iroha being in competition since it almost feels like they’re taking completely different approaches.

Hana saku Iroha has very good characters which it spends a good amount of time introducing and some great writing. However, the actual plot and premise seems fairly standard and a bit bland.

On the other hand AnoHana has a great premise but dedicated the first episode to showing off this premise and as a result had less focus on the characters.

Although regardless there both turning out as great shows and if nothing else it should be interesting to see how the two of them do.

RedWing
2011-04-15, 10:24
Would've been better if she was actually a figment of his imagination. Was good nonetheless. Not really much you can say for this episode the premise is OK, really depends on how things go from here. Still a bit too much Otaku pandering for me though, the whole naive flat chested girl who's stuck to your side and doesn't realise how she's turning you on didn't need to be in here. Whaddya ganna do eh?

Mangz
2011-04-15, 10:38
Unfortunately, I was never hooked into Cross Game so I can't really share the positive reception, but nonetheless, this was a fantastic pilot episode. In all seriousness, I think Anohana has one-upped Hanasaku Iroha in the emotional drama department, but Hanasaku Iroha is probably still better in the coming of age department and in animation quality. But Anohana was still very pretty and well animated.

What I am most impressed by is the script writing. This is how you write an emotional drama without falling into the "cheap" category. Although it did have a few lighthearted moments to "lighten to load", it did not resort to slapstick comedy and it also transitioned very well from its lighthearted moments to its dramatic moments. It's subtle, not hammy, but still provides that emotional punch. An example is the scene where Menma's mother was praying for her dead daughter and where Menma's brother was telling her mother to forget about her resulting in Menma crying that she knows she dead was particularly touching, but not hammy.

I also applaud at how Menma's moeness actually significantly adds to the drama. Instead of invoking a "Omg Kawaii" reaction, it instead invokes a "Omg how tragic such a cute girl has to face such a fate", thus giving it an emotional attachment in conjunction with visual pleasure. The last time this happened to me was with Ushio in Clannad AS.

Anyways, Mari Okada has activated god-mode this season with this and Hanasaku Iroha. I am optimistic that both series will continue with the level of quality it has taken off with.

I'd have to disagree with this.

While Clannad's ending wasn't perfect, I'd say it was just fine and properly foreshadowed. I also don't think its lack of perfection was due to the fact that it ended with Tomoya, Nagisa, and Ushio all alive and happy, but simply because the events leading up to the time reversal for Tomoya not being set up quite as well as they could been for such an ending. It had its problems, but I was overall pleased with the ending.

I don't really feel like debating all the little issues of Clannad After Story's ending since that's not my point, I just wanted to point out that I don't think the type of ending itself is good or bad, but how its built up and executed is what's important.

I believe that Ano Hana could have a great ending with Menma alive in some form at the end, as long as it's built up to and executed well. At the same time, though, I would also agree that as things are going right now, it doesn't seem to be leading to this, and if such an ending were pulled out of nowhere for the sake of a "happy" ending it would certainly be bad writing. On the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with a "bittersweet" ending, again, if the show builds up to it and executes it properly.

I'll personally be waiting to see how the story unfolds before I think about what sort of ending would best suit the show. I think it would be best for everybody's enjoyment if they keep an open mind as well.

ahelo
2011-04-15, 10:46
Well with preorders suddenly shooting high for this one, I can't wait for the TV ratings. I'm scared though that it might be even lower than Winter season.

wandering-dreamer
2011-04-15, 10:47
Finally got around to watching the first episode and dang, I wasn't actually expecting to like the show that much (yes I know I even made the thread here :heh:) and then it just goes and yanks on my heartstrings the entire time. Better make sure I also watch something fluffy this season, first Wandering Son and then this, why do you toy with my heart noitaminA?

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 11:05
I'd have to disagree with this.

While Clannad's ending wasn't perfect, I'd say it was just fine and properly foreshadowed. I also don't think its lack of perfection was due to the fact that it ended with Tomoya, Nagisa, and Ushio all alive and happy, but simply because the events leading up to the time reversal for Tomoya not being set up quite as well as they could been for such an ending. It had its problems, but I was overall pleased with the ending.

I don't really feel like debating all the little issues of Clannad After Story's ending since that's not my point, I just wanted to point out that I don't think the type of ending itself is good or bad, but how its built up and executed is what's important.

I believe that Ano Hana could have a great ending with Menma alive in some form at the end, as long as it's built up to and executed well. At the same time, though, I would also agree that as things are going right now, it doesn't seem to be leading to this, and if such an ending were pulled out of nowhere for the sake of a "happy" ending it would certainly be bad writing. On the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with a "bittersweet" ending, again, if the show builds up to it and executes it properly.

I'll personally be waiting to see how the story unfolds before I think about what sort of ending would best suit the show. I think it would be best for everybody's enjoyment if they keep an open mind as well.

I'm not going to argue that much about Clannad AS ending either since it's off-topic, but will point out that the majority of people found the ending to be cheap and weak, and I just happen to be in that majority. The journey to the ending however, was very well done which is why Clannad AS is being praised as it is.

As for how a series ends, you are right it should depend on how it's built up. However, genres tend to have preferred endings. For example, in a romantic comedy, 95% of the time it is appropriate for a happy ending, because romcoms are generally light-hearted. On the other hand, it would be pretty unfitting and retarded for an psychological thriller anime like Madoka to have an happy ending given its circumstance and atmosphere. Also, the best dramas around the world often end with a bittersweet ending, as this is the type that is the least likely to appear not transitional, cheap or cheesy.

In addition, there are some cheap story telling methods that are often criticized. One is the "everybody dies" ending. Another is the "Deus Ex Machina/Alternative Universe or Timeline" approach. Another is if a main character comes back alive after he/she died previously during an important and influential scene. Although it can be pulled off most of the time it's going to come out cheap and cheesy.

Hence, although I agree that endings are dependent on how a story unfolds, I'm pointing out that there are still common "ideal" forms to conclude a story dependent on genre and endings that are universally agreed upon as just bad in the large majority of cases.

Mangz
2011-04-15, 11:34
I'm not going to argue that much about Clannad AS ending either since it's off-topic, but will point out that the majority of people found the ending to be cheap and weak, and I just happen to be in that majority. The journey to the ending however, was very well done which is why Clannad AS is being praised as it is.

As for how a series ends, you are right it should depend on how it's built up. However, genres tend to have preferred endings. For example, in a romantic comedy, 95% of the time it is appropriate for a happy ending, because romcoms are generally light-hearted. On the other hand, it would be pretty unfitting and retarded for an psychological thriller anime like Madoka to have an happy ending given its circumstance and atmosphere. Also, the best dramas around the world often end with a bittersweet ending, as this is the type that is the least likely to appear not transitional, cheap or cheesy.

In addition, there are some cheap story telling methods that are often criticized. One is the "everybody dies" ending. Another is the "Deus Ex Machina/Alternative Universe or Timeline" approach. Another is if a main character comes back alive after he/she died previously during an important and influential scene. Although it can be pulled off most of the time it's going to come out cheap and cheesy.

Hence, although I agree that endings are dependent on how a story unfolds, I'm pointing out that there are still common "ideal" forms to conclude a story dependent on genre and endings that are universally agreed upon as just bad in the large majority of cases.

That's certainly a fair point. It would be hard to disagree that in a majority of cases, certain molds fit genres best (as in, they are easier to execute well). I agree with your general thinking on all of this, mostly I just wanted to point out that thinking about what will happen next is likely better for enjoyment than thinking about how we want it all to end when it's still this early in the show.

Of course, I also realize that you don't seem to be in a narrow mindset of "IT MUST BE DONE THIS WAY OR IT FAILS", and that you're just hoping for a reasonably well-written ending rather than a cop-out. I hope I didn't come off as thinking otherwise.

lordshadowisle
2011-04-15, 11:35
I had some expectations for this, but from what I see so far it's not quite there yet, though of course there's a lot of promise.

One of the more interesting points were the characters; though little time was spent on each character, from what was shown they are complex characters, with overt and hidden aspects. It makes me want to know more about what happened those few years, and how they each came to change.

Unfortunately Menma was a bit too annoying for me; I hope that she's not going to spend a few minutes making a fuss in each episode. I think it'll get better though, there's room for character development there.

Generally for the pilot it does feel a bit mopey and angsty, but given the ending (as well as the premise of the promise) I think the tone of the show will get more optimistic as it goes on.

Lastly, really like the ED music. Beautiful and especially suits the show.

Pellissier
2011-04-15, 11:37
Episode 1 freebie avatars:

http://i.imgur.com/GvQWb.gif http://i.imgur.com/wYuh9.gif http://i.imgur.com/B91Qb.gif http://i.imgur.com/rbbQB.gif http://i.imgur.com/SzulY.gif

http://i.imgur.com/LFZbU.gif http://i.imgur.com/QGFKu.gif http://i.imgur.com/0UHt0.gif http://i.imgur.com/zMs8I.gif

http://i.imgur.com/I0wJX.gif http://i.imgur.com/nQP0P.gif http://i.imgur.com/9D7VG.gif http://i.imgur.com/eeLVn.gif

http://i.imgur.com/G09Ou.gif http://i.imgur.com/bzb3X.gif http://i.imgur.com/tBZDU.gif http://i.imgur.com/L1zko.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rOsEe.gif http://i.imgur.com/FTHFZ.gif

Haak
2011-04-15, 11:53
Episode 1 freebie avatars:

http://i.imgur.com/I0wJX.gif

Hot damn. Claimed!

ZODDGUTS
2011-04-15, 12:14
While I found the first ep to be really good I would put it below Hana saku Iroha because I think this series is going to be predicable as to where the drama is heading. Overall still a great ep. Menma annoyed me a bit though with her Otaku moeness pandering. Couldn't help themselves I guess. -_-

deadite
2011-04-15, 12:16
I had some expectations for this, but from what I see so far it's not quite there yet, though of course there's a lot of promise.

One of the more interesting points were the characters; though little time was spent on each character, from what was shown they are complex characters, with overt and hidden aspects. It makes me want to know more about what happened those few years, and how they each came to change.

Unfortunately Menma was a bit too annoying for me; I hope that she's not going to spend a few minutes making a fuss in each episode. I think it'll get better though, there's room for character development there.

Generally for the pilot it does feel a bit mopey and angsty, but given the ending (as well as the premise of the promise) I think the tone of the show will get more optimistic as it goes on.

Lastly, really like the ED music. Beautiful and especially suits the show.

You have to realize though that Menma acts like a child because she died as a child and never grew into maturity.

Jerseykid
2011-04-15, 13:37
enjoyable and epic razor commercial at the end

felix
2011-04-15, 13:55
You have to realize though that Menma acts like a child because she died as a child and never grew into maturity.According to the show this version of her is older.

0utf0xZer0
2011-04-15, 13:57
The "importance of friends/community" vibe this is giving off reminded me a lot of Clannad, but the show reminded me of something else too. Then it hit me: the physical interaction with someone who isn't there... the "what's with you man" from onlookers...

So basically, Menma is a moeblob version of Tyler Durden and this anime is like a cross between Clannad and Fight Club.

That said, I'm not liking this show nearly as much as Hana-Saku Iroha for two reasons. First, because I tend to dislike the childish airhead type. The exceptions to that rule (such as Akira from Yosuga no Sora) tend to be clever types who simply come across as airheads, and I don't think Menma fits that bill. Second, there's something about Hana-Saku Iroha - perhaps something about Ohana herself - that makes almost every little scene in that show a joy to watch. I end up with like a score of "I liked that!" moments every episode when I watch HSI. That didn't happen here.

However, I'm pretty pumped for where this show is going, as I expect that I'm going to get much more interested once the main character's relationships with the other club members come into focus and start playing a role in the story. And its not like every show of this type I've liked has been a hit from episode 1 anyway (I think it took me until episode 3 to start liking EF).

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 14:08
Well I'm going to offer a bit of a weight of a comparison between this show and Hanu-Saku Iroha and explain a little of why I think this show in a way, upstaged it.

Hanu-Saku Iroha certainly has a touch better visuals. The main protagonist is a very likable one, and it is beautifully executed. But one thing it doesn't quite have right now is large emotional impact. Not many people are able to necessarily relate to such an irresponsible mother, or having to be sent off to such a distant place like a random resort to be under a patriarchal grandmother with such unfriendly people around you. The main character herself is relateable, but she is built that way. Evidently, while the show is enjoyable to watch and its been a rather entertaining coming of age story without any real "moe bait" getting in the way of this drama, it hasn't hit anyone's specific "heart strings" yet.

Usually great dramas/coming of age stories focus on being able to relate the situation to the viewer or tug at their emotions with events that seem all too real to them. What Ano Hana has managed to do is just that. A lot of people can relate to the idea of friends changing and splitting ways as they grow up. Often times its depressing, and I for one know just how much stuff like that sucks having gone through several good friends like that. The premise is something entirely all too real and emotional. Further compacted in this drama is the fact that their friend died and this is the reason they split apart, as she seems to have been a sort of glue for their group of friends.

The main character has been acting like a recluse and we wonder why, since it doesn't seem like he's a bad guy, and we realize the incredible guilt that was placed on him over something which was quite silly, but very sad at the same time. The girl's death is further explored with a scnee of their family, which showed real emotions and real life situations well with how her brother even proclaims angrily "she's dead" while her other berieved with the death of her child sitll holds so mcuh devotion to her to even continue to hold that little shrine for her after all these years.

This is followed up by the powerful cartharsis of the main character which more or less summed up the episode, as he is struggling with his guilt and realizes that all he wanted to do was ot apologize to her.

And guess what? This is merely the first episode!

Wakan Tanka
2011-04-15, 14:20
Too many transitions..

fertygo
2011-04-15, 15:30
Just watching the 1 eps... oh my that just wonderful... Dammit I cried a bit when the insert song playing :heh:
And the premise n script is just too damn strong. Mari Okada did it again.

Raiga
2011-04-15, 15:31
According to the show this version of her is older.

Her image is physically older, but she still didn't live out those intervening years and grow older mentally as a result.

In any case they haven't really revealed the nature of Menma as a spirit, so it's all just speculation. But I'm for the "acts like a child because that's when she died" explanation. Especially because the point is that, while everyone else in their friend group has changed drastically, she still remains the same (that was paraphrased straight from the summary on the official site).

TurkeyPotPie
2011-04-15, 15:34
Good first episode although Menma was a bit annoying. I liked the juxtaposition of Jinta and Poppo there at the end. I wonder if their roles as children will be reversed now with Poppo being more of the leader and helping Jinta overcome his guilt?

totoum
2011-04-15, 15:42

Similarities:

The thought of having Irino Miyu and Tomatsu Hakura interact together again is making me quite happy.

I'd like to add a couple things

Another similarity:in cross game Kou set out to fulfill Wakaba's last dream,here Jinta's going to set out and try to fulfill Memma's wish,the dream and wish have nothing to do with one another though.
And another difference is that we've got a real ghost here,that wasn't the case with Wakaba

As for the comparaison with Hanasaku Iroha ,well here's Okada Mari's reaction to the debate:

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/voiceactors/3/11817.jpg

Whichever one you preffer she can't lose since she wrote both.

I say we wait a bit until we compare,one is 11 episodes the other 26 so Anasaku Iroha has more time to set itself up for a climax that I feel we havn't come close to yet while here we dive right into things.
But I really hope both sell well on DVD/Blu-ray (along with "C" while we're at it but I've got less hope) because we've already had Madoka earlier this year so if producers starts seeing anime original selling well then we might start seeing more of them instead of a random adaptation of a mediocre manga/light novel.

OpenDoors
2011-04-15, 15:48
During the scene with Menma's family various scenarios on how Jinta can reveal/reunite Menma's ghost with her family... Then it hit me. Is it actually more cruel to the family to do so?

From that scene, it seems both the father and brother are over the death of Menma. Reintroducing them to Menma again would throw them back into the heart-wrenching time. Imagining what the mother would go through if she reunited with Menma's ghost alone makes me sick. With no chance of a happy ending (can't revive her - normally), is it better to look the other way.. or even to prevent her family from finding out the more humane thing to do?

Then again, if I were a parent that lost a child I would almost do anything to see him/her again.. Even if I know that I will be devastated once the ghost move on/disappear.

What would you guys do, if in Jinta's position?

ars89
2011-04-15, 16:07
Wow, props to Mari Okoda, 2 great scripts in the same season. Didn't expect it to be this good, very emotional. Nice to see it's getting the respect it deserves.

Kouvley
2011-04-15, 16:29
Coming out of lurker mode to chime in with the praise of the first episode. :)

I must admit though, I rolled my eyes a little when I read the synopsis - the direction of the melodrama sounded way too predictable but ep1 was so expertly executed that it doesn't matter.

It also helps that production values are solid and they chose a very appropriate ending song lyrics wise which happens to be an old fav of mine.

Let's hope they can keep this up, my body is ready for the waterworks. :p

DragoZERO
2011-04-15, 16:33
Excellent... that was, excellent. They could have made things much sadder but they didn't, and I am thankful for that because I would have cried.

So many good shows this season.

Anupam
2011-04-15, 16:45
Just finished watching the episode, another great anime directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai

Poppo looks like the usual fat bro and Anjō Naruko is my new Tsundere waifu :D

Triple_R
2011-04-15, 17:06
Truly outstanding first episode.

This first episode had almost everything I could possibly ask for in a slice of life/drama anime's first episode.

It introduced the core characters with deft precision, it told us everything that we needed to know about the central ideas behind the anime, it handled its present tense-to-past tense-to present again transitions with amazingly astute aplomb, and it had exceptionally exquisite emotional impact for an opening episode.

Jinta's character is fairly easy to relate to, and his situation is doubly so. Nostalgia for more carefree and innocent times is something that many anime works tend to be masterfully mesmerizing maestros at effectively conveying to the audience, and Anohana is no exception.

In fact, I like the slight irony in how Anohana applies its overarching sense of nostalgia. Many animes play up a sort of idealized form of high school life, leaving its adult viewership in what could be called a state of nostalgia for what could have been.

But here in this anime, we see teenage characters that are nostalgic for an even earlier point in life, for their pre-teen childhood. It's an interesting way to make teenage characters more directly relatable to adult viewers, while nonetheless maintaining an overarching sense of nostalgia.

I also like how Menma's character is being handled so far.

So, on the whole, I have to agree with Reckoner. I think this show did upstage Hana-Saku Iroha slightly.

10/10 for an absolutely rock solid first episode.

I am very much looking forward to the second episode of this.

Westlo
2011-04-15, 17:56
Hanu-Saku Iroha certainly has a touch better visuals. The main protagonist is a very likable one, and it is beautifully executed. But one thing it doesn't quite have right now is large emotional impact.

First things first, while AnoHana is certainly no slouch in the animation department and a good deal better than most, Iroha is not just a touch better, considerably better really...

And yes Iroha has lacked the emotional impact of AnoHana but it also has an extra 15 episodes to work with compared to AnoHana. Iroha having 26 episodes to AnoHana's 11 could be an advantage or disadvantage.. it all depends on the writing for both shows.. which of course is by the same person, which makes the entire Iroha Vs AnoHana thing a bit amusing... AnoHana needs to do more with less time and the actual show itself is on quite a different track. As mentioned before while both are definitely slice of life drama's, AnoHana is much more on the tragedy side of things while Iroha is coming of age.

I actually thought noitaminA had stuffed up not getting Iroha into their time slot thinking it was a perfect show for it. It looks like noitaminA had it covered with AnoHana though.. and hopefully next season's Bunny Drops keeps it up.

Student no.0
2011-04-15, 18:18
Wow I almost felt like tearing up a bit, and the OP and ED really helped with that:heh: Reminds me of Clannad with that whole situation with Fuuko, except Menma died and people still remember her. Can't wait to see where the plot will be going in future episodes. If handled right, this may be one of the most memorable shows of the season and more inner nostalgia than Angel Beats did for me (not that I didn't like it though).

I have somewhat an idea on how the last episode could be like... but I think I'll keep it to myself till the end.

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 18:19
You're making it seem like I'm not giving Hanu-Saku Iroha enough accolades. I've praised that show enough already. Sure, the visuals are definitely better than Ano Hana. Is that margin of different good enough to your liking now?

I also do realize that Hanu-Saku Iroha still has much more time to deliver any emotional, or impactful punches since it is two cours. But from what I seen so far, i think the premise of this anime allows for better drama.

Not to say that being a tear jerker is Hanu-Saku Iroha's goal or anything. I think these animes are both very good, and it'll be interesting to see which one i like more in the end. I think it will probably end up being Hanu-Saku Iroha, merely based on the fact that it has two cours, but who knows?

felix
2011-04-15, 18:28
AnoHana visuals aren’t better then Iroha, Iroha has them more refined but overall I don’t see any reason to even compare the two. What can’t you watch them both? And are we seriously comparing male to female protagonist? Really?

I actually thought noitaminA had stuffed up not getting Iroha into their time slot thinking it was a perfect show for it. It looks like noitaminA had it covered with AnoHana though.. and hopefully next season's Bunny Drops keeps it up.Fuck up bunny drop? If they manage that they deserve an award. Yes the show is that easy to get right.

Westlo
2011-04-15, 18:38
You're making it seem like I'm not giving Hanu-Saku Iroha enough accolades.

No I don't think my post said that at all, all it said was one had better animation, more episodes to work with and was a different sort of show. And yes I would agree that this show has a better premise for drama but again that is because of the story it is telling compared to Iroha's. It also has a higher chance of falling off the tracks imo.. hopefully it doesn't... AnoHana looks to aim higher but could come down and crash hard...

but overall I don’t see any reason to even compare the two. What can’t you watch them both? And are we seriously comparing male to female protagonist? Really?

It's because the Mari Okada writing AnoHana is superior to the Mari Okada writing Iroha, pick a side. :heh:

Fuck up bunny drop? If they manage that they deserve an award. Yes the show is that easy to get right.

Good to hear, have they got enough episodes (11 i guess?) to pull it off.. all I know about the show is the manga covers and that seems like an interesting... uh "gap".

DonQuigleone
2011-04-15, 18:47
Menma is mai Waifu!

But seriously, she is ridiculously moe! Initially I wasn't sure how this would turn out. I initially thought "this would be kinda messed up if she didn't actually exist", and lo and behold the episode reveals this quite quickly. Also her childish behaviour also makes sense in the context of the plot as well.

All around I agree, this is a really good start. Personally I prefer a 1 cour length for drama series. 2 cour can often end out with filler or things getting drawn out, while shorter series are "punchier". Anyway they've really laid down a good foundation in this introductory episode.

This episode was way above my expectations for it. The whole deceased angle is quite novel and could have major drama wrung from it.

winhlp32
2011-04-15, 19:30
Story reminds me of Little Buster's 'Refrain'. Will keep an eye on how the story develops.

germanturkey
2011-04-15, 19:35
this has potential to be honey and clover esque. i'm excited. i've only watched like 5 mins, but i like it a lot already. it has a nice feel to it. but at the same time it feels completely different from iroha. i'm totally calling that she's a ghost. just based on what's shown in the op. if that's the case, and keeping this promise is a theme of the show, i think it'll be pretty dang emotional.

Triple_R
2011-04-15, 19:48
this has potential to be honey and clover esque. i'm excited. i've only watched like 5 mins, but i like it a lot already. it has a nice feel to it. but at the same time it feels completely different from iroha. i'm totally calling that she's a ghost. just based on what's shown in the op. if that's the case, and keeping this promise is a theme of the show, i think it'll be pretty dang emotional.

My own view is that she is a ghost, but is nonetheless limited the same way that a corporeal being would be.

I think that she's a ghost, and not just a figment of Jinta's imagination, due to the scene where she's at her family's house, and Jinta is not in that scene.

Jinta is the only one who can see and hear her, and I think that's because what's keeping her from "moving on", as it were, is how Jinta is not able to move on yet.

I'd say that there's a good chance this anime will end with Jinta coming to terms with Menma's death in a big climatic emotional scene (probably involving bringing the whole gang back together), and then Menma will wish Jinta a final goodbye before fading away.

It'll be somewhat similar to what we saw in...

The Fuko arc of Clannad

It'll also be similar to what we saw a lot of in Angel Beats!, in my opinion.

That's just my guess, mind you.

germanturkey
2011-04-15, 19:57
well, this will be horribly depressing. i can already sense it. it had such a hook. it actively made me want to know what happened to each character. the scene with the family definitely was emotional. i kind of wanted it to be emotional to the point of getting tears, but that didn't happen. it'll be interesting to see if things run parallel to cross game.

mysterious
2011-04-15, 20:18
Moe or not, I am very annoyed with how Menma constantly bothered Jinta and being hyper active throughout the episode. Is she back in her mature body but with a child mentality? Anyway, I will follow this until it gets too depressing for me.

lordshadowisle
2011-04-15, 20:27
You have to realize though that Menma acts like a child because she died as a child and never grew into maturity.

Of course that's true, but it's not strictly necessary to give much focus on her acting annoying. Furthermore a child doesn't necessarily have to be clingy.

Admittedly for the first episode it serves to highlight the fact that Menma's mentality is that of a child, but having made that point I hope that in future episodes they'll move on to other aspects of her child personality, or have her character develop in response to the revelations that everything has changed.

FlareKnight
2011-04-15, 20:46
well, this will be horribly depressing. i can already sense it. it had such a hook. it actively made me want to know what happened to each character. the scene with the family definitely was emotional. i kind of wanted it to be emotional to the point of getting tears, but that didn't happen. it'll be interesting to see if things run parallel to cross game.I'm not sure if it will be horribly depressing. After all seems like the series will be about rebuilding their friendships which should be positive. Sure we'll probably see more about how they've drifted and Menma is dead, but should be room for some optimism. Could have a bittersweet ending if they are finally able to move forward as a group and Menma can pass on.

Forsaken_Infinity
2011-04-15, 20:53
Actually, regarding HanaSaku Iroha vs AnoHana,

I quite honestly agree with whoever it was that posted that HanaSaku Iroha is at best a weak drama and had it been a live action series, nobody would have paid a second attention to it. The number of drama shows that best HanaSaku Iroha that I have seen over the ages is beyond counts. Yeah yeah its a breath of fresh air in anime scene as of late bla bla. But honestly, that's saying more about how low anime have gotten lately than how good the show is. Of course, it's not a live action series and the visuals are breathtaking. Thus its a good show. But that doesn't mean its oh so beyond everything.

Of course, this show isn't beyond everything either. But it has decent visuals and, comparing only the first episodes, a stronger story.

It makes much more sense to compare the first episode of this show with something like Cross Game's first episode than HanaSaku Iroha's. HanaSaku Iroha may end up pulling off a better story, especially given how it has the same writer but longer runtime, but what we have so far isn't really in the same league as AnoHana.

Regarding this being depressing, it'd completely depend on how the group comes together, if at all. I am predicting a bittersweet "life goes on" ending and those are actually more along the lines of inspiring than depressing unless the viewer is already depressed :heh:

Of course, the ride is more important than the destination.

Master_Yoma
2011-04-15, 21:14
I think this is going to be like Air in reverse

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 21:18
Actually, regarding HanaSaku Iroha vs AnoHana,

I quite honestly agree with whoever it was that posted that HanaSaku Iroha is at best a weak drama and had it been a live action series, nobody would have paid a second attention to it. The number of drama shows that best HanaSaku Iroha that I have seen over the ages is beyond counts. Yeah yeah its a breath of fresh air in anime scene as of late bla bla. But honestly, that's saying more about how low anime have gotten lately than how good the show is. Of course, it's not a live action series and the visuals are breathtaking. Thus its a good show. But that doesn't mean its oh so beyond everything.

I believe that person was TJR and I agree with with it to some extent, but not fully. Coming from a Korean background, I know very well what the quality of Asian dramas are like (I have a mother who is a housewife that eats it up, and several female university friends that are obsessed with it), and you are very much overestimating the quality. Despite their immense and growing popularity of K-dramas, the formula and quality of them has not hardly changed. The writing in still overall over-sappy, cheesy and hammy. Imagine if 90% of K-dramas was a of style akin to Clannad After Story (but not the quality) - you're bound to get backlash just like anime is in regards to moeblobs and fanservice.

Granted, I've pretty much stopped watching K-dramas bar a few titles here and there, and the last Blockbuster style one I've seen was the Iris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(TV_series)) franchise. And a few historical ones (Saguk) here and there.

Granted Asian dramas are solely targeted at the late teen to adult female demographic, so they cater towards their needs... which is also why there's also a lot of emphasis on picking actors - they must first be eye appealing... In fact I would argue that a large reason for the the popularity of Asian dramas (particularly K-dramas) is not because of the quality of the shows themselves, but because of the actors.

But you are completely right in saying that the level of quality in anime in regards to drama has been pretty abysmal. However, Mari Okada has recently given it a huge boost which is why people are impressed, and there's a fair people who come from Asian drama backgrounds like myself that agree.

Blue-kun
2011-04-15, 21:21
That was pretty neat. I'd say story-wise I still prefer the first episode of Iroha, because Ohana was/is stealing the show there and she's easily one of the most likeable female characters in a good while for me. Here, we don't have anyone who left me with such an impression, but the overall set up was quite pleasant. Being someone who moved around a lot, I can sort of relate to Jinta, and I can only imagine how much of a burden it must be to get in touch with a group of friends who you haven't seen/talked to in forever. And that's even without Menma's (or anyone else's) death. People change far too much and it's hard to get back together a decade after and expect each other to get along perfectly.

Jinta himself seems to be in the pits, and for the most part he wasn't a very likeable character because of this, but it was nice seeing some growth already and how he seems to be bent on fulfilling Menma's wish, while, at the same time, trying to get out of what seems to be a pretty miserable lifestyle due to the trauma. I really liked that last scene, what with the ending playing and him running towards the shed. That's what youth is all about, anyway. Time where you can act like that and let stuff come out!

Menma herself was... well, I'm not sure how to talk about her. She's cute, but I also agree that she might have been a bit too hyperactive around Jinta and not realizing whatever he went through. In the end, though, it all worked out because she seems to have gotten to him, but it was a bit agonizing seeing how he struggled each time she acted like that in front of other people, in particular their old friends.

Everyone else, I don't know. We didn't get enough of them for me to have any opinion regarding those guys, aside from Anaru who... well, is acting like a teenager girl, I suppose. The way she acted seemed to imply she had feelings for Jinta, and all that rudeness towards the guy has to be the tsundere-ness getting through in her prime.

Overall, it was enjoyable and if the writing keeps up being good it could go pretty far. Nagai as a director is a good fit, too, if Honey and Clover 2 is any indicator he can deal with the more angsty moments in fantastic fashion. Another really good slice-of-life this season, or, rather, another really good show as a whole. Japan's off to kill me with the overload of interesting things popping up.

--

And by the way, on the whole debate about which show looks the best, I personally find both to be very attractive. If we're only talking about actual animation, I think Ano Hana takes the cake. Iroha is well animated, but I just don't see the same amount of different mannerisms for each character, nor do they simply flow as well as they do here. It's... hard to put it into words, but the characters in Ano Hana overall feel a lot more "life like". I guess for an example of what I mean, the scene with Jinta and Menma near the railway is okay. See when she's jumping around, or smelling the flowers, there's a very "realistic" touch to those motions. They feel natural. Same can be said on how she behaved at Jinta's house while he's cooking and so on. There's really always some movement going on, it's hard to spot moments where the characters aren't doing something. Of course, these movements are all very well done too, and they flow well. On the other hand, this comes at the price of having simplified character designs, and that's where Iroha is better. It looks far more "polished", if you want to use that word, while still being considerably well animated. So yeah, they're both really good, each in its own way. (And man, it really is hard to talk about animation. I never find myself able to express what I see into words properly, it's more about feeling than... well, I don't know!) :heh:

Triple_R
2011-04-15, 21:34
Maybe I've been somewhat desensitized through recently watching Madoka Magica, but I don't really get a downright depressing vibe from Anohana either.

It has a somewhat melancholic feel to it, but I think that Anohana will ultimately be about coping with loss and moving on from sadness, rather than being overwhelmed by it.

I agree with Forsaken_Identity that this anime will likely end up being more inspiring than depressing.

Sometimes for a story to be inspirational, it needs to have a sad beginning.

Reckoner
2011-04-15, 21:48
Maybe I've been somewhat desensitized through recently watching Madoka Magica, but I don't really get a downright depressing vibe from Anohana either.

It has a somewhat melancholic feel to it, but I think that Anohana will ultimately be about coping with loss and moving on from sadness, rather than being overwhelmed by it.

I agree with Forsaken_Identity that this anime will likely end up being more inspiring than depressing.

Sometimes for a story to be inspirational, it needs to have a sad beginning.

It will be more inspiring that anything, but I do think it will have a bit of a bittersweet ending. Because in the end, all 6 friends won't be able to reunite, just 5.

brocko
2011-04-15, 22:02
Yea I'm getting more bittersweet vibes from this than anything else. Got a feeling the show will wreck my shit so bad by the time it ends... T_T

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-15, 22:55
Blog (http://lostinamerica-deeg.blogspot.com/search/label/AnoHana) of first episode (beware, gushing ahead):

For me the expectations were sky-high for this one, and they were largely met. It's odd but wonderful to see the Cross Game trio reunited in a series where there's a time skip from grade school to high school and the defining event is the death of a little girl - but there you go. They're all great, and Miyu-miyu has the emotional center of the series again. Thank goodness he's playing Jinta, because it's a crucial and difficult role.

There were many reasons to suspect this would be excellent - A-1 Pitcures may have the best track record of any studio for the last couple of years. NoitaminA certainly has an astonishing streak of high-quality efforts. And Mari Okada has stamped herself as one of the best writers around, both with adapted and original material. Between this and Hanasaku Iroha she's got the top two slots of the season for me at this point.

And all that appears to have delivered the goods. Despite a lack of information and not knowing much about most of the cast, it's already a highly emotional experience. The power of the premise is obvious - you can feel it like a telegraphed right hook to to gut, though the punch hasn't been delivered yet.

I disagree with the notion that this will be the show that saves NoitaminA, though. I'd be thrilled if it did, but I really don't see this being a ratings winner. It appears to be too sentimental, too thoughtful, and doesn't hit enough of the magic buttons that you seem to have to hit these days. If anything, I think "C" has a better chance to pull big numbers.

Mangz
2011-04-15, 23:14
It will be more inspiring that anything, but I do think it will have a bit of a bittersweet ending. Because in the end, all 6 friends won't be able to reunite, just 5.

Saying it will have a bit of bittersweet is fair, but depending on how the show spins the situation (and even what the ending ends up being itself) it could be practically an insignificant amount of "bitter". I'd have to agree that the show is likely heading towards a "mostly inspiring, slightly bittersweet due to the loss of Menma" ending, but who knows really.

I think it actually might just be me though, since I've always found most bittersweet endings to be more inspiring than sad. I enjoy seeing people overcome hardships. It makes feeling attached to the characters very satisfying, and what really makes good dramas.

germanturkey
2011-04-15, 23:19
i also noticed someone was drinking CC Lemon in the op. nice attention to detail. i don't think this will save noitamina, seeing as other shows in its slot in previous years weren't "heavy hitters," and this is more of the same IMO.

who would have thunk that the best two shows this season were slice of life-esque types.. this is going to have a byousoku type ending. i can feel it.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-15, 23:23
this is going to have a byousoku type ending. i can feel it.

Which is my favorite type of ending in a drama. The ending is part of the reason why 5cm is in my personal top 5.

Malkuth
2011-04-15, 23:23
What can I say, noitamina improves with dwindling popularity, their focus obviously would swift to audiences less susceptible to TV ads, and more picky on where they will spend money. Anyway, despite the excellent first episode (for its genre), I am still apprehensive about the studio they had many shows that started strong, but fell apart during their run (Occult Academy, Sora no Oto, Birdy remake).

As for Mari, it is great that she pulled out two great scripts in the same season, but I wonder why for this one they promoted Menma's state as a surprise it was made blatantly obvious from the first couple of scenes, which makes me a bit worried on the execution... than again with only 11 episodes at hand and a simple concept, there are less possibilities to screw up the transition of the script to screen, like that plot twist.

Finally, it is good to have shows like this and Iroha, that help certain viewers, bloggers, and reviewers to get over their silly phobia of the so called fan-service :p

totoum
2011-04-15, 23:35
it was made blatantly obvious from the first couple of scenes, which makes me a bit worried on the execution

It's not like they tried to hide it and failed,they never tried to hide it.

If anything that reassures me on the execution,we've only got 11 episodes,we don't have time for things like "is she real or not?",that's not the point of the show.So I like how we got that question dealt with right away.

Malkuth
2011-04-15, 23:41

If anything that reassures me on the execution,we've only got 11 episodes,we don't have time for things like "is she real or not?",that's not the point of the show.So I like how we got that question dealt with right away.

You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried; if I was certain, I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio :p

SeijiSensei
2011-04-15, 23:51
Originally Posted by applejuice
You know what? I think this might save the noitaminA from the chain of bombing...
...by crossing over into territory that is at least partly occupied by otaku. So many great noitaminA shows (House of Five Leaves, in particular, my favorite show of last year) bomb because they are not aimed at any Japanese audience's sweet spot. This might just hit enough of one to succeed.

I'm afraid that's exactly why I won't be watching any more of this show. Call me when noitaminA starts making shows about adults again. I don't know why the Japanese seem so taken with reliving nostalgic visions of childhood and adolescence. It makes me think they're not very happy with their current adult lives.

It's back to Yaichi and Masu for me, perhaps followed by some Matsukata Hiroko. I'll watch a bit more of [C], though I wasn't thrilled by the first episode of that show either despite being helmed by Nakamura Kenji.

brocko
2011-04-15, 23:54
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried; if I was certain, I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio :p
I don't think they wanted to tell you out-right until the near end of the episode, but there were enough clues earlier to lead you down that train of thought anyway.

My head, you've just reminded me about H20 and it hurts my head :heh:.

totoum
2011-04-16, 00:16
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried

Having Memma and the dad talk at the same time without him noticing her and then having Jinta say something like "my dad didn't notice her so that must mean..." doesn't make it look like they're trying to hide it at all.

I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio

But none of the main staff has much of a history with A1,so that wouldn't seem fair to me.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-16, 00:46
To be honest guys, I don't see this show getting more depressing later on. I mean, someone already died. Pretty hard to top that. :heh:

Which isn't to say it can't be a tearjerker. It can still make you cry, but it's most certainly not because the story will take a sad turn.

Call me when noitaminA starts making shows about adults again. I don't know why the Japanese seem so taken with reliving nostalgic visions of childhood and adolescence. It makes me think they're not very happy with their current adult lives.

While it might be too early to tell, but the feeling I get from the first episode was actually all about moving on from childhood/adolescence (not reliving it); that dwelling in the past (especially traumatic experiences) is childish and that moving forward is the adult thing to do. Or at least, that's the direction I think the series is going towards to. I mean, what other direction can Jinta go when his current self is still all emo about the past, about not being able to say sorry to Menma before she died?

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us. :heh:

I actually thought noitaminA had stuffed up not getting Iroha into their time slot thinking it was a perfect show for it. It looks like noitaminA had it covered with AnoHana though.. and hopefully next season's Bunny Drops keeps it up.

I can't see how they can screw up Usagi Drops to be honest. As someone who mainly reads manga/watch anime for shipping reasons, Usagi Drops having ZERO of anything for me to ship (or at least not until the time skip :heh:), and me having read every scanslation of it... that's saying something. The source is THAT good IMO. It would take numerous and huge blunders to really mess Usagi Drops.

But hey, can't say I was always right so... :heh:

Kinda weird though, as I thought both Hanasaku Iroha and this show are too 'jdrama-like' to be ever a hit to otaku, like TT before it. So yeah, perplexed at how it got to the top 100 of preorders, let alone #2.

DJ.Ozura
2011-04-16, 00:54
The ending theme...i knew it heard it before.

Kyo no Gononi ED1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBsdm9XADmQ

But the episode was still nice :D

Malkuth
2011-04-16, 00:55
Having Memma and the dad talk at the same time without him noticing her and then having Jinta say something like "my dad didn't notice her so that must mean..." doesn't make it look like they're trying to hide it at all.

I was not clear, the twist is certainly in the script, what I am questioning is the execution... storyboard onwards. From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show... Now this can be intentional from the script (therefore promotion junk), or unintentional from incompetent personnel, or both, or none ;)

But none of the main staff has much of a history with A1,so that wouldn't seem fair to me.

True, but A-1 still provides the bulk of the personnel that draw, storyboard, etc. You know 90% of what you see... take the best director and give him crappy personnel and you'll have a fail, but not vice versa.

Anyway, I am nitpicking here, since there is just one episode to draw conclusion from, and I am quite happy to see attention drawn by audiences that loathe shows with certain elements (psgels blog (http://psgels.blogsome.com/2011/04/14/some-quick-first-impressions-denpa-onna-to-seishun-otoko/) is an excellent example) slowly understanding that sex and plot can perfectly coexist in quality anime.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-16, 01:07
The ending theme...i knew it heard it before.

Kyo no Gononi ED1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBsdm9XADmQ

But the episode was still nice :D

That's wholly appropriate, since chibi-Jinta looks exactly like Ryouta. :heh:

I still have a hard time believing this show was at the top of any preorder lists. It just doesn't seem to have any major otaku selling points as far as I can tell. Maybe they were getting Clannad vibes?

Pellissier
2011-04-16, 01:12
I was not clear, the twist is certainly in the script, what I am questioning is the execution... storyboard onwards. From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show...
Well, isn't exactly what they did. From the very first scenes I thought Menma was just a very annoying little sister to Jintan and he was just ignoring her.
The twist occurs when she sits on him in front of dad, and he doesn't notice at all, but prior to this, there were two strong hints: 1) the father entering and only greeting Jintan (as if there was only one person there) 2) more a fact than a hint, when Jintan is preparing ramen, we see the reflection on the cupboard's mirror.. and there's no Menma.

After these scenes I realized Menma existed just in Jintan's eyes, while before I thought she existed, period. So that was a surprise, at least as far as I am concerned.

totoum
2011-04-16, 01:43
From the few promos I remember, I was expecting a huge surprise, which was revealed casually within a couple of minutes into the show

Check back to page 3 of this thread,one of the PVs of the show had Memma saying the line "Even I know...that I'm already dead." so even in the previews they told you.

After these scenes I realized Menma existed just in Jintan's eyes, while before I thought she existed, period. So that was a surprise, at least as far as I am concerned.

I think Malkuth thought that the surprise would come later than the first couple minutes and the show would keep the viewer guessing

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-16, 02:03
Since Otakus are primarily character driven when it comes to buying anime-related merchandise, maybe they were drawn to Menma's moeness... but who knows.

And it's funny... I came from an Asian drama background, got tired of it and now my favourite animes are those that seems Asian drama like. :confused::heh:

Malkuth
2011-04-16, 02:08
Check back to page 3 of this thread,one of the PVs of the show had Memma saying the line "Even I know...that I'm already dead." so even in the previews they told you.

As I said, from what I remembered of some promo. I try not to spoil myself too much, plus I never really cared for noitamina, since most of the stuff they put on that zone are lacking in so many departments.

I think Malkuth thought that the surprise would come later than the first couple minutes and the show would keep the viewer guessing

Also @pellissier, I more of hoped (rather than thought) that they could work the surprise better. Still I must say that despite having a clear idea of what was going on with Honma, the scene with her family did not lose its impact.

Another fun fact, a show targeting jaded single office ladies growing out of shoujo manga acknowledge the existence of pornography... that was hilarious :p

applejuice
2011-04-16, 02:17
Since Otakus are primarily character driven when it comes to buying anime-related merchandise, maybe they were drawn to Menma's moeness... but who knows.

And it's funny... I came from an Asian drama background, got tired of it and now my favourite animes are those that seems Asian drama like. :confused::heh:

Well, I can pretty much say that impact of this first episode almost equals the impact of Madoka 3rd episode. Character hasn't even introduced properly yet, and recent trend proves that Otaku isn't mindless jerks who only buys something with moe, but something with moe + quality.

TJR
2011-04-16, 02:20
While it might be too early to tell, but the feeling I get from the first episode was actually all about moving on from childhood/adolescence (not reliving it); that dwelling in the past (especially traumatic experiences) is childish and that moving forward is the adult thing to do. Or at least, that's the direction I think the series is going towards to. I mean, what other direction can Jinta go when his current self is still all emo about the past, about not being able to say sorry to Menma before she died?

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us. :heh:

The story is about adolescents growing up, so you're correct about the show's theme.

Nevertheless the series is aimed at an adult audience, so reliving adolescence (the joy, pain, bewilderment, and innocence that go along with it) is very much the point. I think that's what SeijiSensei is getting at. While the show may achieve what it set out to do, it's unlikely to interest people who want more sophisticated stories that focus on adult life.

That's kind of the disconnect between the anime market and other forms of entertainment. For instance, young adult novels, no matter how acclaimed they may be, are intended for a very specific demographic. It isn't like you'll find many adults demanding more Catcher in the Rye, Outsiders, or other teen oriented novels they read in junior high. However, adult-oriented anime is almost all about immersing the viewer in the world of children/teenagers again.

Pellissier
2011-04-16, 02:23
Also @pellissier, I more of hoped (rather than thought) that they could work the surprise better. Still I must say that despite having a clear idea of what was going on with Honma, the scene with her family did not lose its impact.
Heh, but that has most likely to do with the fact they only have 11 episodes. As said in a previous post, while Hanasaku Iroha has 26 episode to work with and can dilute the emotions (having the result of making the audience grow more attached to the characters and consequently more involved when drama/tragedy comes into play), AnoHana has only 11 and thus need to speed up. Even so the powerfulness of certain scenes ine episode 1 more than made up for it.

I agree on the family visit scene. It was poignant, especially when the camera zoomed on Menma's eyes while crying and replying to her mama on the matter that even she would have noticed she's dead.

BaKaBaKaOtaKu
2011-04-16, 02:37
depressing first episode although i think it toppled my impression on hanaIro in the drama department. first episode's so emotionally powerful that left me almost in tears. DX i'm already expecting this series would end as bittersweet. DX

0utf0xZer0
2011-04-16, 02:42

This is pretty much exactly how I read the first episode as well. The show seems more about subverting genre conventions than following them.

Good thing, too... if not for the subversive elements, I think this show would be reminding me why I didn't care much for Air despite being a huge moe fan (I didn't like how bland and childish most of Air's characters were. At least in Kyoto's version, I liked them more in the movie and the bits I read of the manga.).

I'm not sure I'd consider that a good thing, as she struck me as rather bland and airheaded thus far.

Hoping that there's enough of a market for both this and Hana-Saku Iroha at the same time... I'd hate to see one (probably HSI) bomb due to having to compete with the other.

Also, surprised that nobody commented on how I thought this was like Clannad crossed with Fight Club.:heh:

ahelo
2011-04-16, 02:48
Well, I can pretty much say that impact of this first episode almost equals the impact of Madoka 3rd episode. Character hasn't even introduced properly yet, and recent trend proves that Otaku isn't mindless jerks who only buys something with moe, but something with moe + quality.

Really, what about Infinite Stratos? Or are you talking about animation quality?

totoum
2011-04-16, 02:52
Really, what about Infinite Stratos? O

See the blog post he linked to in his sig for his thoughts on the subject.

Pellissier
2011-04-16, 03:01
Free signature I made if anyone wants it (username can be added if requested).

http://i.imgur.com/OKMIw.jpg

Pocari_Sweat
2011-04-16, 03:30
I'm not sure I'd consider that a good thing, as she struck me as rather bland and airheaded thus far.

It was more a joke :p. Though I too am intrigued why preorders are so high.

Hoping that there's enough of a market for both this and Hana-Saku Iroha at the same time... I'd hate to see one (probably HSI) bomb due to having to compete with the other.

Which is a complete shame and I predict this as well. The target audience for these shows would be typically teenage girls (outside of male otaku), but teenage girls don't usually watch anime as they are more interested in pop idols and dramas involving handsome looking guys.

Z3120
2011-04-16, 04:19
It's almost more unbelievable that both are anime originals which have their script/story/screenplay written by Mari Okada, who is of True Tears, Toradora and Wandering Son fame.
Ah, yes. It truly is a sight.

Moe or not, I am very annoyed with how Menma constantly bothered Jinta and being hyper active throughout the episode. Is she back in her mature body but with a child mentality? Anyway, I will follow this until it gets too depressing for me.
The more astonishing question is she appears in an adult body. Saying she's "back in her mature body" sounds like you're saying she died at that age, but it contradicts what Episode 1 implies that happened: that she died the day "the tomorrow which never came," which Jinta regrets. I think you read that wrong.

It looked more like they were hammering in the fact than anything else in the beginning.

1.) Jinta's surprised look when he noticed who he was talking to inside his room.
2.) He continually ignores Menma and think she's part of his imagination while preparing ramen and even refers to her as a "Summer Beast."
3.) When Jinta's Dad asks him to cook him some ramen too, Jinta stares behind his back at Menma in disbelief when his father doesn't notice her, yet Jinta still tries to ignore her and refrains from talking to her.
4.) Pellissier's second fact about her reflection although it's probably arguable.
5.) Jinta's Dad still hasn't noticed her at the dinner table when he and Jinta eat.

After the OP, Jinta acknowledges her presence and actually starts talking with her then, so I don't think they were hiding it anymore after that. It felt like AnoHana wanted the audience to sympathize with Menma more as we discover Naruko, Tsuruko, and Yukiatsu can't see her. And when Menma visits her house and ultimately confirms she is dead, the scene becomes a bit emotionally-laden as the realization comes to us as the audience as Menma herself acknowledges her death as well. I thought it was nicely done if that was their intention.

And because of that, I think there will be less of what people found annoying about Menma in the next episode. I wasn't bothered as much as everyone else with Menma this episode honestly.

applejuice
2011-04-16, 04:20
Really, what about Infinite Stratos? Or are you talking about animation quality?

I'm talking 'moe-only' is not really a sell-able idea now-a-days, it must too be 'supported' by something.

and for infinite stratos, there were bigger reason to its success than just moe.

CWW
2011-04-16, 05:15
Wait, noitamina is close to financially bankrupt? That is the saddest news.

Moreso since I'm liking this more than Hana-Saku Iroha so far, as it actually managed to pull on my heart strings. Plus, Jinta is a far more likable protagonist than Ohana. Ohana is your average happy-go-lucky teen overcoming her hardships, which I have seen a thousand times before. It's a tired old cliche at this point.

In Ano Hana, you actively want to root for Jinta to pull himself together. He had a promising future ahead of him before Menma's death and society decided to shun him after a fallback in academics. The not being able to apologize deal is a tad cliche too, but I'm able to overlook that since it's not the point of the story.

Moreover, the jerks in Ano Hana were/are his friends and not total strangers. It seems they simply grew apart instead of comforting each other after her death. That's what makes it both tragic and compelling. Enough rambling. I hope this and C will be hits for noitamina. It won't be the same without them.

UltimaWolf
2011-04-16, 05:33
Just watched the first episode. Really liked it, feels like it has the potential to be very good. I am looking forward to the next episode!

MeoTwister5
2011-04-16, 06:25
When We Were Friends. (http://meotwister5.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/anohana-pilot-episode-when-we-were-friends/)

Loss and regret are two very powerful emotional baggage and, as Cross Game’s Kitamura Kou personifies, can also be the most powerful driving factor towards one’s life. On the other end of the spectrum lies Jinta, a young man so tormented by his loss and regret for the last thing he had done to Menma that he has shunned the world and became a NEET. Medical jargon would call it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but for everyone else it’s the effect of an event so devastating that it changes everything and everyone. Jinta has apparently become so shocked by what had happened, an event we don’t get to see in it’s entirety but only through vague representations, that he has not only shunned his own friends but society itself. Guilt seems to rule his heart, for not being able to apologize to her when he had the chance, and lives with the regret that he may have to live with this regret for the rest of his life.

As I may have mentioned before, guilt and regret can tear people apart. I’ve said that I can understand his and Kou position totally because I still live in such a state, and I understand how differently people can cope. It’s easy to blame Jinta for not man-ing it up and living with it, but it’s much harder to try and understand that what had happened between the two of them, just before she died, was such a major emotional event. Think about it, a personal insult from someone she was closest two and probably loved with all her heart, and this was the last thing she had heard before the universe deemed it necessary to take her life. If anything, she too was left with a deep seated regret just like Jinta.

And it was with death that left him scarred and tore a group of friends apart. It is also from this that we have our premise. A cliched premise to some, but a picture perfect execution allowed to unfold with such suspenseful clarity that you could only but empathize with him and all his old friends even if you knew what was happening. It’s so easy to use death as a central plot point and build everything from there, but so difficult to keep the pace up and keep the show from degenerating into a sappy emotional tearfest. Okada Mari has taken a page from Adachi Mitsuru, perhaps THE master of this premise, and shown that she too can do it with the same deft and careful touch that prevents everything from collapsing into melodrama. Adachi himself is getting on in years (he’s 60 this year), and if Okada can keep this up, we may be seeing his successor should he retire (I hope not!).

karice67
2011-04-16, 09:35
Wait, noitamina is close to financially bankrupt? That is the saddest news.noitaminA is the name of the timeslot, so I don't think you can talk about it being 'bankrupt'. Not to mention that one of the major sponsors of all(?) shows that have aired in this slot is Fuji Television...

=====

Well...I haven't anything to say about how excellent this episode was that hasn't already been said.

Just a thought though: Menma's mother is Russian?

applejuice
2011-04-16, 09:54
Wait, noitamina is close to financially bankrupt? That is the saddest news.

Bankrupt isn't a right word, but the time slot might get canceled. noitaminA is late-night animation, thus it also highly depends on DVD/BD sales. A lot of animation from this slot bombed, which means loss.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-16, 10:08
Rather than choose sides in a shooting war between AnoHana and HanaIro, I'm rejoicing that there are two series like them airing at the same time - character-driven, smart and non-pandering. Sure there are major differences (clearly, AnoHana is more unabashedly sentimental and HanaIro aiming for more of a gritty realism and quirky humor) but it's not them vs. each other - it's them together against an ocean of predictable and derivative series.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-16, 10:09
Free signature I made if anyone wants it (username can be added if requested).

http://i.imgur.com/OKMIw.jpg

Any chance for a smalller version? I kinda still want 2 text lines in my sig. :heh:

Thanks a million in advance.

Proto
2011-04-16, 10:15
Wow, I didn't expect them to use Secret Base. Nice homage there.

Anyway, excellent first episode. I can't believe that the good shows keep pilling up this season. This one seems to be a trip into the past type. Not my personal favorite, and the characters so far aren't the most likable out there, but still it has really interesting possibilities. I'm really looking forward to see where this is headed.

Pellissier
2011-04-16, 10:24
Any chance for a smalller version? I kinda still want 2 text lines in my sig. :heh:

Thanks a million in advance.
Sure, the 160 px height comes as the standard version but it's always modifiable. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/fsfyO.jpg

Did you also want your name by any chance?

Anh_Minh
2011-04-16, 11:00
I wish I'd known there was going to be a ghost before I started watching. I might not have risked it.

I mean... It was already too late for her before it started. No matter how much her friends grow up, learn to cope, whatever... she'll still be dead. Makes it hard to rejoice in their victories when all it'll mean is that she'll probably just get deader.

Kanon
2011-04-16, 13:29
To be honest guys, I don't see this show getting more depressing later on. I mean, someone already died. Pretty hard to top that. :heh:

Which isn't to say it can't be a tearjerker. It can still make you cry, but it's most certainly not because the story will take a sad turn.

So yeah, if anything, AnoHana is actually trying to convey the exact opposite of what you think it is trying to tell us. :heh:.

Well, they can kill somebody else! :heh:

I fully agree with your views on the show. The main theme of this series is obviously "moving on". It might be depressing at times, but I'm sure the story will eventually end up being positive and heartwarming.

I really, really don't get why people keep comparing this (to the point of putting them up against each other) to Hanasaku. Yes, AnoHana is more hard-hitting than Hanasaku and there is more drama, so what? Does the fact Hanasaku is simply an uplifting coming of age story that doesn't blatantly try to pull on your heartstrings make it less good than AnoHana? Not in my book. It's pointless to compare the two on this basis, as I'm pretty sure those two series are not going for the same thing. Just sit back and enjoy them. Both have great writing (from the same writer to boot), an interesting premise, solid characters and top tier production values (although Anohana is a notch below Hanasaku in this department), whether you like one more than the other is entirely a matter of preference, I think. In case you want to know, I enjoyed Hanasaku's first episode a lot more than AnoHana's.

kagato3
2011-04-16, 13:59

The more astonishing question is she appears in an adult body. Saying she's "back in her mature body" sounds like you're saying she died at that age, but it contradicts what Episode 1 implies that happened: that she died the day "the tomorrow which never came," which Jinta regrets. I think you read that wrong.

Thinking on that it may mean that she was in a coma for a while before she died.

germanturkey
2011-04-16, 14:04
nah, i think its just how he envisions her if she was grown up. they hinted that she died via drowning, so i doubt that'll put her in a coma.

mysterious
2011-04-16, 14:09

Sorry, I make it confused. What I want to say is "Do she come back to life in a mature body with a child mentality?" :heh:

totoum
2011-04-16, 14:34
nah, i think its just how he envisions her if she was grown up. they hinted that she died via drowning, so i doubt that'll put her in a coma.

But is she just a "vision"?It looks as if she can interact with the real world,like how the glass fell in her parent's house.

So right now Jinta considers her a "vision" but I wonder if he'll start to reconsider that soon,and I wonder if the other characters are going to be able to see her.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-16, 14:46
He thinks she's a vision born of his emotional state, but I think she is really supposed to be some kind of ghost.

Anyway, good start to a promising story.

Around half of all the shows I like are from the noitaminA timeslot, so its disappearance would be a tragedy, for me. If they have to turn to some otaku tropes to get viewership/purchasers, that's okay by me, as long as the shows retain their quality.

Guardian Enzo
2011-04-16, 15:41
He thinks she's a vision born of his emotional state, but I think she is really supposed to be some kind of ghost.

Anyway, good start to a promising story.

Around half of all the shows I like are from the noitaminA timeslot, so its disappearance would be a tragedy, for me. If they have to turn to some otaku tropes to get viewership/purchasers, that's okay by me, as long as the shows retain their quality.

ITA. But I'm still wondering what otaku tropes this hits. Is it just because Menma is cute? There have been kawaii girls on other NoitaminA shows...

FatPianoBoy
2011-04-16, 15:50
The other two girls are so far from being otaku bait that I tend to think Menma's moe appeal is incidental.

Haak
2011-04-16, 15:53

If it's just his hallucination of her then there's no way the scene with her family could've possibly happened since he wasn't there. And as has been stated she can clearly affect the physical world.

kagato3
2011-04-16, 16:36
I just noticed something, Menma is shocked Jin can see her when she first answered her back. She's been doing this for who knows how long and it's the first time anyone answered back. It's no wonder she goes into full pester mode when he trys to ignore her.

I doubt Jin's vison of her would have any influnce on her as He is stuck in the past and even asks why she looks like that.

DonQuigleone
2011-04-16, 16:49
The other two girls are so far from being otaku bait that I tend to think Menma's moe appeal is incidental.

I'd say Menma's characterisation is based on whatever Japanese tropes Moe was originally drawn from.

felix
2011-04-16, 17:09
I'd say Menma's characterisation is based on whatever Japanese tropes Moe was originally drawn from.I kind of wish her hair and eyes when she was alive were black. She’s really a oddball compared to the other characters.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-16, 18:04
Sure, the 160 px height comes as the standard version but it's always modifiable. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/fsfyO.jpg

Did you also want your name by any chance?

Nah, its ok. I use my sig more to advertise the shows I like; putting my name would like defeat the entire purpose.

Thanks a lot btw! Just too bad I'm too much of rep stingy that I can't rep u lols.

Deconstructor
2011-04-16, 18:07
I was completely annoyed for the first ten minutes. So this is what anime has come to in 2011... a shut-in otaku hallucinating about his childhood friend. It was painful to watch. Jin's enthusiasm decided to pack it's things and move to another country.

The second half was equally painful to watch. But instead of being another boring waste of time, the story turned into the saddest thing I've seen. And I've seen Pokemon: The First Movie.

Anohana struck many chords with me. I go to a competitive high school, have a relatively small group of close friends. But why can I truly relate? I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.

Do I think this is the best first episode of 2011? I can name quite a few I enjoyed better. But I can think of none that killed me inside as much as Anohana. So yes, I think this is the best.

The question is whether I want to be an emotional masochist for another 11 episodes... I just hope there are moments of happiness interlaced as well, to "ease" the pain.

karice67
2011-04-16, 18:54
I kind of wish her hair and eyes when she was alive were black. She’s really a oddball compared to the other characters.I think Menma's only half Japanese. Her mother seems to be Russian (look at the names outside her home).

applejuice
2011-04-16, 19:14
I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.

I didn't, at least in Korea. Because there are so many schools in small region due to ridiculous population density, I always had to meet all my elementary school friends inevitably. As long as living in the town/region, I could still meet and play with them occasionally. Same for Japan, I think.

Kokoru Asami
2011-04-16, 19:33
Well i have to say that after watching this first episode it has so far been the most enjoyable for me to watch out of this season. That being said i wasn't expecting it but i know I'm going to love this show, the story is very realistic and with that ED how can i not love it!

kyouray
2011-04-16, 20:20
Anohana struck many chords with me. I go to a competitive high school, have a relatively small group of close friends. But why can I truly relate? I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.
Same here. I think that's the case or something similar for several people who watched this series.

DonQuigleone
2011-04-16, 20:22
I think Menma's only half Japanese. Her mother seems to be Russian (look at the names outside her home).

I just checked, and you're right. Her mother's romanized name is approximately Irene.

If her mother is Russian, then it's a bit weird for her to be taking part in Japanese Death rituals.

Kouvley
2011-04-16, 20:33
I see what you mean now, thanks for the heads up (though I probably should've paid more attention to the ending credits).

Heh, I was just about to post a link up for the vid aswell since I currently have the song on loop again. :p

Taufiq91
2011-04-16, 20:54
I just checked, and you're right. Her mother's romanized name is approximately Irene.

If her mother is Russian, then it's a bit weird for her to be taking part in Japanese Death rituals.

Maybe Menma's dad is a Shinto and the mom became a convert?

And don't forget that there are Shintos in east Russia before the Revolution you know. Most of the Russian shintos fled to Japan after the Revolution.

Oh, and this was one of the heaviest melodrama animes i've seen in the past few years. If the first episode manages to make me feel sad, i know that this will be a huge tearjerker in the end.

This is one of those animes that makes you feel like you want to watch something happy after that. It'll make you feel bad for whatever you're doing after watching this.

Proto
2011-04-16, 21:04
... the first episode didn't really manage to make me feel side at any point in time, I was just intellectually enjoying the good script writing. Does that make a monster? :(

Fevvers
2011-04-16, 21:07
I'd give this episode an 8 if only Menma's VA wasn't so annoyingly typical moe-induced high.

DragoonKain3
2011-04-16, 22:34
... the first episode didn't really manage to make me feel side at any point in time, I was just intellectually enjoying the good script writing. Does that make a monster? :(

Different strokes for different folks. My RL anime friends for example don't like AnoHana at all, but then again they're self proclaimed 'narutards' and dam proud of it lol. XD

But yeah, script writing was a definite strong point. By the time they overtly showed that Menma was dead, it was already heavily implied by prior conversations (which itself was natural and engaging, revealing a good deal about each character just from talking). While it was already expected, still tugged at my heartstrings when Menma visits her home (though of course, YMMV). Definite grade a plus work IMO.

broken270
2011-04-16, 22:45
It has been a while for me to watch a series that quickly made me feel sad in just the first episode. Foreshadow of a tear-jacking ending has been noted.

It wasn't suppose to be like this. It should not have been like this. Jinta and the gang were supposed to be together and having fun for the many years to come. They were suppose to protect the world, protects its peace. But, it only takes one second to change all of that. One small mistake, and it can either ruin or benefit everyone's life. Sadly, it was the first. Due to embarrassment, Jinta did not want to admit that he did have some feelings for Menme. Menme seemed to have thought the same way. Yukiatsu seemed to harbor some feelings for Menme, and Anaru seemed to harbor feelings for Jinta. Tsuruko is just a spectator in all of this, and Poppo seems to go with the flow on anything. The minute he denies his feelings out loud, everything went downhill from there. The next day, Menme accidentally falls down a river and drowns. That tomorrow for him to apologize to her never came.

Ten years have passed since that incident. Jinta is now a recluse, shut-in from society with a bad reputation of not going to school. Here, we have him playing his video game, when all of a sudden, Menme pops out of nowhere and starts nagging him. Apparently, she cannot be seen by anyone but is able to alter things physically, something like a ghost. For Menme, this is something valuable, because she has been going around to many people, but none were able to see her other than him. I guess it could be that his resentment and feelings towards Menme were so strong, that he was able to see her.

The bell rings, and in comes the third person of the group: Anaru. Anaru seems to be the one who changed the most, seeing that she became the geeky boring little girl to one that cares much about her fashion. Menme runs up and hugs her, but it did not do any good because she was invisible to her. Anaru shoves the summer homework to him, but he will not do it because he despises the school that he was going to. An intense air was left after she was gone. Menme wants to meet everyone else, and Jinta has no choice but to allow her to see exactly what is wrong with everyone else. While walking around, Jinta meets Yukiatsu and Tsuruko, both going to the same and prestigious high school. Yukiatsu is still cocky, even going as far as pushing buttons that should not be pressed. Tsuruko is still a spectator in all not this, making sure no unnecessary information should be said. Jinta attempts to prove to her once more that everyone changed ever since she was gone. He even told her to leave. Menme visits her family once more. Everyone appears normal, but it was the first time she knew that they cannot see her, because she was dead. Jinta now remembers the specific past that she should have forgotten. Desperate, he runs out of the house, trying to find her once more, trying to say sorry to her, trying to apologize after everything that has happened to her and to the rest of the group, which he believes is entirely his fault. He runs to the base, where they have usually met 10 years ago. Jinta goes in, but is surprised about the new makeover of the place, resembling something of a home. In comes Poppo, the final member of the group. Out of everyone, he seems to be the only one that can talk to him without any annoyance in his voice. I hope this becomes a catalyst for hopes to come.

Valin
2011-04-16, 23:01
Listening to a cover of ZONE was a nice surprise and brought back some memories. A very fitting song though.

physics223
2011-04-17, 10:30
It seems to me I may have found a candidate for best anime of the year.

karinvampire
2011-04-17, 10:33
Okay first episode,not sure what to expect.

D-Gold
2011-04-17, 16:14
Well that first episode made me feel sad. I guess I will go re-watch A channel to lift my spirits

Kaoru Chujo
2011-04-18, 01:58
Here is a characters/seiyuus page (http://hashihime.atspace.com/etc/2011/anohana/charsei.html) for this show, with pics of the six main characters and their seiyuus, and some info about each seiyuu. The male characters have two seiyuus: one for the adult and one for the child. The same seiyuus do both ages for the female characters.

Toyosaki Aki joins Tomatsu Haruka in another example of Sphere members appearing as seiyuus in the same shows. She plays Poppo as a child.

It's also good to hear Hayami Saori doing a version of her ojou-san voice as Tsuruko. Developing some range.

Kayano Ai, who plays Menma, appears to be an up-and-comer, with that super-moe voice. She will play one of the three main characters in the new Last Exile, and that is only one of four roles she is already slated for later this year. I'm still not convinced: the voice is a little much even for me. But I am getting used to it.

khryoleoz
2011-04-18, 05:08
Absolutely love this first episode! A-1 Pics sure knows how to put on some very good shows that I always like so far.

kuroishinigami
2011-04-18, 07:01
Here is a characters/seiyuus page (http://hashihime.atspace.com/etc/2011/anohana/charsei.html) for this show, with pics of the six main characters and their seiyuus, and some info about each seiyuu. The male characters have two seiyuus: one for the adult and one for the child. The same seiyuus do both ages for the female characters.

Toyosaki Aki joins Tomatsu Haruka in another example of Sphere members appearing as seiyuus in the same shows. She plays Poppo as a child.

It's also good to hear Hayami Saori doing a version of her ojou-san voice as Tsuruko. Developing some range.

Kayano Ai, who plays Menma, appears to be an up-and-comer, with that super-moe voice. She will play one of the three main characters in the new Last Exile, and that is only one of four roles she is already slated for later this year. I'm still not convinced: the voice is a little much even for me. But I am getting used to it.

I actually feel Menma's voice a little too.... high-pitched. Maybe they want to show that she's still a little childish from the voice, but I just don't like it. Still, it doesn't hold me back from enjoying the first episode at all. That's how good this episode 1 is for me.