PDA

View Full Version : AnoHana - Character Discussion - Menma (Honma Meiko)

Pellissier
2011-05-04, 05:03
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Menma (Honma Meiko) related.

http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=3278&pictureid=39172

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all AnoHana fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110) for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
No campaigning!
No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

Discuss, don't chat.
Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=animesuki_faq#faq_as_irc).

Have fun, but post intelligently.
It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

Use Spoiler tags!
Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Haru~
2011-05-04, 10:11
The mysterious ghost who can touch people, hold things and eat food. How the hell is that possible is a mystery to us.

User68604
2011-05-04, 11:07
she is annoyingly cute

wandering-dreamer
2011-05-04, 20:58
One theory I've seen on other forums but not this one is that Menma might not be a ghost but rather an angel, thoughts?

User68604
2011-05-04, 21:05
seems to befitting of the series

her wish being one that brings back the connections/friendships of the super peace busters...

either way, given the tone of the series - i think we can conclude that we are in for a very SAD ending where she disappears :(

FireChick
2011-05-05, 14:29
I love this girl! She's sooooo cute! Plus she reminds me of how childish I normally am, even though I'll be 18 next month.:heh:

darkmanure
2011-05-06, 06:40
seems to befitting of the series

her wish being one that brings back the connections/friendships of the super peace busters...

either way, given the tone of the series - i think we can conclude that we are in for a very SAD ending where she disappears :(

I'm going to guess it will be bitter sweet. The one who will grief the most of course will be Jinta, but I think he'll accept.

I wouldn't be surprised if near the end he would deliberately avoid granting her wish in fear that she would disappear.

Patriot's Blade
2011-05-06, 07:14
why does her appearance reminds me of Index from To aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun? but less annoying? maybe its her blue eyes & hair?

TheGeekHuntress
2011-05-11, 15:34
I don't know if her wish is to reunite them but in ep.1 when they were younger she said she had a wish but the scene cut off so I think it has something to do with that.

demonkevy666
2011-05-12, 20:19
I've seen her eat three times now and I'm still confused how do dead people eat ? :confused:

Manji Midou
2011-05-12, 21:14
I don't know if her wish is to reunite them but in ep.1 when they were younger she said she had a wish but the scene cut off so I think it has something to do with that.

l think her wish might be much simpler. To a point she wants all her friends to reunite but deep down l think her real wish is to get a real answer to the question anaru asked him long ago.... well that's just me....:heh:

rasudoken
2011-05-12, 21:27
Wish Guess coming through

She wants to know the name of a flower that their group found one day during summer.

I think there was a scene somewhere with a jar of flowers in it too. Series title is definitely saying something too

blewin
2011-06-04, 03:39
looks like Menma's being neglected here! actually, she kind of drifted away from the story despite her being the centre of it! I got to the point that I'd rather watch the other characters than her (she's been the most boring character so far). But Menma in episode 8 has brought her back into the plot again. Seems like we'll get to see some character development of her towards the end of the anime.

as in, move on, Menma the ghost.

katsudon
2011-06-05, 22:41
so did she die from a car accident? or drowning (her slipper floating in the river?).

FireChick
2011-06-06, 04:50
I think it's likely she drowned or something. The show never went into very much detail as to how she died.

Myssa Rei
2011-06-06, 22:08
I think the issue with Menma is that she isn't much a character (at the level of say, Yukiatsu or Jinta) but a plot device. The fact that she has no idea why she's hanging around in the world of the living and, barring the end of the previous episode, and is pretty much just an observer instead of an active participant in the lives of her friends, doesn't help matters any.

Shadow5YA
2011-06-09, 11:43
Menma has character, but her character is dependant on her interactions with others. As Jinta already pointed out, she shoes every concern for others and none of herself.

The problem is that the show revolves around what Menma wants for herself when she usually doesn't think about herself.

Kyuu
2011-06-16, 16:37
The mysterious ghost who can touch people, hold things and eat food. How the hell is that possible is a mystery to us.

Well, there's a long standing tradition pertaining with tangible ghosts:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6672/boo0.jpg

fazer
2011-06-16, 21:56
there is a very huggable ghost despite its look lol

SoFarGone
2011-06-16, 22:28
I do not like Menma. She is causing all the problems to the characters but she is needed for the story to go on...

mellomarie
2011-06-19, 07:06
I do not like Menma. She is causing all the problems to the characters but she is needed for the story to go on...

agreed. she's a plot device for me, plain and simple.

achirist
2011-06-19, 21:30
I agree to. Menma the ghost is really pretty dense--while she gets upset when the group fights, I don't see that she has an ounce of understanding or sympathy for the pain and angst she is causing everyone. She is still a child, and causing real harm because the others are not. Perhaps it is redeeming that her wish wasn't a selfish desire for the fireworks.

fazer
2011-06-19, 22:06
Have to agree on Menma being dense and not having matured mentally, but I can't bring myself to hate her... she's a child after all...innocent and playful

kingsky123
2011-06-20, 08:34
so did she die from a car accident? or drowning (her slipper floating in the river?).

Huh? she fell didn't she? wasnt there one episode where anaru tripped and nearly fell down the cliff but jintan saved her and commented on that?

TrippedUp
2011-06-20, 10:52
Have to agree on Menma being dense and not having matured mentally, but I can't bring myself to hate her... she's a child after all...innocent and playful

Not all innocence is good though. This probably doesn't apply to Menma, but I remember a quote about this:

"There's nothing more pure and cruel as a child."

I don't feel hatred towards her, just immense frustration. because she really hasn't matured past 10 years old(?) she doesn't understand the turmoil she's putting everyone through.

User68604
2011-06-20, 12:42
Hmm, I dont think there should be an expectation for Menma to have matured at the same rate as the others (if at all). The way I see her, she's simply the same girl from 10 or however many years ago in a slightly older body.

TrippedUp
2011-06-21, 07:12
Hmm, I dont think there should be an expectation for Menma to have matured at the same rate as the others (if at all). The way I see her, she's simply the same girl from 10 or however many years ago in a slightly older body.

That's the problem. I can't blame her for being so dense about this whole thing, but it still frustrates me that she is.

fazer
2011-06-23, 19:25
Bye bye Menma! I love u too!

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 20:21
...I'm sorry I got so mad at you Menma. I love you too :(

Seriously though, that scene tore me the hell up inside. My mom is wondering why I'm drying my tears behind this laptop.

Midnight Bliss
2011-06-23, 20:32
Aaah, my favorite character along with Tsuruko. </3
Bye Menma ;_;

fazer
2011-06-23, 20:47
...I'm sorry I got so mad at you Menma. I love you too :(

Seriously though, that scene tore me the hell up inside. My mom is wondering why I'm drying my tears behind this laptop.

lol, I can't let anyone see me watching this anime.

HayashiTakara
2011-06-23, 23:44
Menma is such a lovable character, Good bye and Rest in Peace. *sniffles*

littlegal100
2011-06-24, 04:19
Menma may not be the most complex character but she's still lovable and a great character on its own. I'm gonna miss her! ;_;

User68604
2011-06-24, 06:04
a farewell that was sad but in a happy way..

blewin
2011-06-24, 08:57
I don't think Menma is causing trouble... think about it, why does everyone love her so? It's because of her selfless love. People who love others equally usually get loved by many in return. I think it's a very difficult thing for anyone to be - to be able to love everyone selflessly. We got so deep into the other characters because we're so much like them. We've flaws and are selfish (not that Menma doesn't have flaws, being human), but to love without discriminating or rather, without discriminating too much is a thing many of us tend to have to learn.

but some people just do it naturally, being born with that kind of personality.

fazer
2011-06-24, 09:58
Menma never intend to create problems, she just love everyone selflessly...

Her perfectness is her flaw ...not everyone understand or accept her love(at first),
the boys liked her, the girls were jealous of her...

But who can blame them? If anything I love them more for so being human and Menma for been such an angel...

Its really sad when you think about how they would never see Menma ever again for what she had done...returning from the beyond to grant a last wish and resolve everyone issue...just thinking about it makes me sob....

hero147
2011-06-24, 11:09
Rest in Peace, Menma. I really liked you and was an avid fan of the Jintan x Menma pairing.

mellomarie
2011-06-24, 14:43
aww i have to say her wish & love for jintan totally won me over. especially her wish.

not to mention the last episode really illustrated how she brings the good out in everybody.

Kyuu
2011-07-28, 18:31
How's this for an English voiced Menma?

geIwkXQwKJ8

Don't me her Tsuruko voicing. I wasn't impressed with that part. But the Menma voicing... oh nelly

Aurine
2011-08-08, 02:27
Guess I'm too late for the party?
Menma is one of two of my favorite characters in AnoHana, aside from Jinta. How sad could it be, the separation of both of them. I wonder if it actually happens, what does both of them feel now.

(Well if Menma appears to be reincarnated as a human again, with same memory, then would she approach Jinta?! O_o That would make Jinta a lolicon I guess, but he won't mind)

The only characters that appeal me, because of the innocence and kindness, including Jinta with the uber hair. > w<

Scarletknive
2011-08-31, 22:37
i am late for the party...:T_T: Good Bye Menma. :T_T:

FireChick
2011-09-04, 12:58
Menma...!!! She was my favorite!!:T_T:

felekin
2012-03-05, 05:38
I don't know if anyone else noticed but i just noticed while rewatching anohana, Menma's shadow starts to disappear.
At ep 10 her shadow's pretty much gone.

KeiiMii
2012-06-29, 05:06
I didn't like Menma. She was just so annoying. :D

uniwhalefarts
2013-07-10, 07:58

Well if you remember when Jinta and Anaru were running through the forest, I don't remember the episode, but Anaru slipped and almost fell down into that river but Jinta caught her keeping her from falling off the ledge.
He said "you're just like Menma.."
And her slipper floating means she was in the water somehow.
They didn't say it directly to how she died but she slipped just like Anaru did; and you know that from what Jinta said to Anaru, and fell off the little cliff ledge that was there and went into the river. Thus forth leading to her demise ;_;

Rodney422
2014-02-05, 03:01
Poppo said she was swept away in the river,

also, does no one else find it strange that it took til episode 9 before they realize, she can just communicate using the objects around her, Jintan could have just asked her to move an object or eat something, and it would have proven that Menma was there, and it not like they didn't know she can interact with objects, we have seen multiple times where she was eating.