PDA

View Full Version : AnoHana - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

xris
2011-05-04, 05:06
Welcome to the discussion thread for AnoHana, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_pm_explain), or seek out a more appropriate thread.
Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.

Episode Thread Spoiler Policy

Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=animesuki_faq#faq_spoilerpolicy) for more information.
Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a useful title!
Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-05, 11:28
Watching the ep right now on livestream...

So far I must say Yukiatsu is such a jerk. Dx I wish I could just slap him. DDDDX

BetoJR
2011-05-05, 11:34
Oooooooooh, bad tidings, then. :heh:

Sebasu
2011-05-05, 11:41
OMG I KNEW IT at the end. HOLY CRAP. I never expected the reveal to be this fast!
This episode got me at the edge of my seat. Best one so far!

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-05, 11:41
Holy sh----

It really was Yukiatsu who was crossdressing. And Tsuruko knew all along. O: Man, the look on his face when everyone discovered him. OOO:

Can´t wait till the subs are out.

Kanon
2011-05-05, 11:46
At first I was like "Just as planned"

http://s1.postimage.org/11hjglds4/1304613538858.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/11hjglds4/)

But then...

http://s1.postimage.org/11hl44q9w/1304613549023.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/11hl44q9w/) http://s1.postimage.org/11i9x6xok/1304613558624.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/11i9x6xok/) http://s1.postimage.org/11hof7f9g/1304613582465.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/11hof7f9g/)

I'm in tears :heh: :heh:

Yukiatsu confirmed for sicko of the season.

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-05, 12:00
I'm just wondering....

so he bought the dress right? Because I mean, he obviously wouldn't fit into one of Menma´s.

omimon
2011-05-05, 12:03
I told you guys man. Creepy Creeper is creeper.

serenade_beta
2011-05-05, 12:32
Yu :heh: ki :heh: a :heh: tsu :heh:

And the ED's synchronization... "Saikou no Omoide wo~~~~"
Sure is a great memory, yes.

tsunade666
2011-05-05, 13:06
first part makes yukiatsu more like a jerk then after the scene with Ginta in front of the temple like scene his an idiot then at his house trying to call out mena a sore loser and at the end.... his an idiot max with a grin in his face but at least tsuruko knew and that's why she was always with him when going in shopping.

The last scene was priceless. Creepy maniac is creepy basta*d.

Nice going there Ginta but if I where you I would hit that idiot already. Trying to act high and mighty.

Solace
2011-05-05, 13:57
So it was Yukiatsu cross dressing. Dude has some problems. :heh: Kinda figured Tsuroko was in on it, but my guess was flipped around. Ah well. Didn't think the reveal would be this fast though. Probably for the best, so the story doesn't get too bogged down.

And now for the sub wait.

Triker
2011-05-05, 19:03
Nice work Tsuruko :love: "Just as planned"

Ha ha now everyone knows that Yukiatsu is a creepy bastard.

pagan poor
2011-05-05, 21:13
So Tsuruko outed Yukiatsu. And read him like a book. Epic.

physics223
2011-05-05, 21:40
I guess most of us were right in thinking it was Yukiatsu.

SuzushinaYuriko
2011-05-05, 21:50
Holy crap, a crackish theory actually got proven right for once. :heh:

Sure, he's creepy, but I feel sorry for him. He has to have some deep psychological issues to crossdress as Menma and wander around like that at night. I hope the rest of the group can snap him out of it.

Riga92
2011-05-05, 21:58
I knew it! Yukiatsu wanted to be the little girl :heh:

But seriously just wow, that is just pathetic. I wonder how is he gonna redeem himself from this.

Mr.Garfield
2011-05-05, 21:58
yeah i actually feel sorry for him at the ending (though i really wanted to punch him at the marathon scene)
And i'm not someone who easily have sympathy for an antagonist. Must say they did a good job with this episode.

And I love Tsuruko:x

darkmanure
2011-05-05, 22:01
Tsuruko showing her tough love to Yukiatsu.

I really enjoyed the Jinta and Naruko moment they had there.

OceanBlue
2011-05-05, 22:02
Gah, still so many things that need resolving. Really, the only things that were resolved this episode were the group slowly realizing that Menma would want them to be together and the group finding out Yukiatsu's crossdressing as Menma.

Where does this all lead? What does it mean for the other characters? Will Anaru lose her other friends [who she seems to actually think are genuinely good]? It needs to be next week already!

Also, I wonder how Anaru and Jintan will start to connect again. Jintan seems to have a really strong rejection field up. He seems uncomfortable even with Poppo, who's probably the least offensive character in the cast for him.

hero147
2011-05-05, 22:12
Yukiatsu=creepy... Dude needs to cure his alpha male complex.

Sackett
2011-05-05, 22:16
"Lets go pee together!!"

Sigh... the minds of 6 year-olds...

Why am I getting the impression that Tsuruko decided to out Yukiatsu because she thought that Jinta was just as messed up in the head. Figured that getting it out in the open was the only way to help Yukiatsu. And decided that Jinta and company were the only people who could be trusted with the secret.

She must have been struggling for a long time trying to figure out how to help him.

Mr.Garfield
2011-05-05, 22:19
Gah, still so many things that need resolving. Really, the only things that were resolved this episode were the group slowly realizing that Menma would want them to be together and the group finding out Yukiatsu's crossdressing as Menma.

Where does this all lead? What does it mean for the other characters? Will Anaru lose her other friends [who she seems to actually think are genuinely good]? It needs to be next week already!

Also, I wonder how Anaru and Jintan will start to connect again. Jintan seems to have a really strong rejection field up. He seems uncomfortable even with Poppo, who's probably the least offensive character in the cast for him.

I think Anaru will dumb her friends soon. I don't think she has any attachment to her friends, she just hang around with them because it's become a habit. Soon she will realise the her old friends is more important, and her current friends are just some annoying bitches...

About Jintan, i think he'll have to confess his feeling to Menma before he start to actually accept others.

OceanBlue
2011-05-05, 22:23
"Lets go pee together!!"

Sigh... the minds of 6 year-olds...

Why am I getting the impression that Tsuruko decided to out Yukiatsu because she thought that Jinta was just as messed up in the head. Figured that getting it out in the open was the only way to help Yukiatsu. And decided that Jinta and company were the only people who could be trusted with the secret.

She must have been struggling for a long time trying to figure out how to help him.

I do agree that Tsuruko probably trusts the group enough that she can entrust them with something like this, but I'm thinking it's also because Jintan's almost directly related with Yukiatsu's issues.

Actually, a part of me thinks Tsuruko doesn't really care who knows the secret, but thinks that this is the most efficient way of fixing this. I wish we knew more about Tsuruko's character, but it seems we need to help Yukiatsu first.

I think Anaru will dumb her friends soon. I don't think she has any attachment to her friends, she just hang around with them because it's become a habit. Soon she will realise the her old friends is more important, and her current friends are just some annoying bitches...

About Jintan, i think he'll have to confess his feeling to Menma before he start to actually accept others.

To be honest, I don't think Anaru will stop hanging around them unless they do something really bad. The reason I think she thinks they're good is because she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people instead of just saying that he should ignore them. Also, dumping friends puts people in a bad light, and I can't imagine that they want Anaru to look bad in picking her new friends. She'll realize that her current friends aren't great, but I can't imagine it happening without them being jerks to Jintan more.

Johnny
2011-05-05, 22:29
Agree with the rest about Yukiatsu being revealed so soon was quite unexpected.

Also agree with what Sackett said that Tsuruko was probably doing it to benefit them both. However, Jinta can prove that Menma's real quite easily. Have Menma go in one room with someone and go back and tell Jinta was said person was holding, saying, ect ect...

Mr.Garfield
2011-05-05, 22:37
Agree with the rest about Tsuruko being revealed so soon was quite unexpected.

Also agree with what Sackett said that Tsuruko was probably doing it to benefit them both. However, Jinta can prove that Menma's real quite easily. Have Menma go in one room with someone and go back and tell Jinta was said person was holding, saying, ect ect...
You mean Yukiatsu being revealed so soon?

To be honest, I don't think Anaru will stop hanging around them unless they do something really bad. The reason I think she thinks they're good is because she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people instead of just saying that he should ignore them. Also, dumping friends puts people in a bad light, and I can't imagine that they want Anaru to look bad in picking her new friends. She'll realize that her current friends aren't great, but I can't imagine it happening without them being jerks to Jintan more.

Or maybe they'll dumb her? Because i think she'll spend less time with them and more time with her new(old) friends. And her current friends are just your average teenage chicks, they'll dumb you when they get bored, lolz.
And i think the reason she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people is because she still think that they're her friends, with some "friends should stand up for each other" kind of things. I doubt it's her genuine feeling, because she seems to be quite annoyed herself with her friends bitching about everything.

OceanBlue
2011-05-05, 22:44
Or maybe they'll dumb her? Because i think she'll spend less time with them and more time with her new(old) friends. And her current friends are just your average teenage chicks, they'll dumb you when they get bored, lolz.
And i think the reason she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people is because she still think that they're her friends, with some "friends should stand up for each other" kind of things. I doubt it's her genuine feeling, because she seems to be quite annoyed herself with her friends bitching about everything.
Aha, and then maybe Jintan and everyone else will come to the rescue and stand up for her if her other friends start ragging on her and everything will be better! :D I'd be really happy if that happened.

I don't know if Anaru is annoyed. She seems hesitant to agree, but she seems like the type of person that tries not to mind if other people are being somewhat unpleasant. She's too "impressionable". In my opinion.

hero147
2011-05-05, 22:47
Though what's really starting to annoy me is the fact that Jintan continues to believe that Menma is a figment of his imagination. She has already shown to affect the physical world, shown by Poppo in this episode, yet Jintan still makes no effort to prove to his friends that she exists.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-05, 22:50
Seriously, my only worry is that this show has packed so much awesome into 4 episodes that it might collapse under the weight of it before 11 eps have aired.

All of the characters on this series - all of them - are outstanding. Complex, interesting, lead-character quality. But there's six of them - that's pretty rare. And the show packs so much emotional punch with so little effort it's a real tribute to the writing - and the cast. This is really great stuff.

Tsukuro = GAR.

aohige
2011-05-05, 22:56
First half = RAAAAAGE @ Yukiatsu
Second half = LOLWUT @ Yukiatsu

Mr.Garfield
2011-05-05, 23:04
Aha, and then maybe Jintan and everyone else will come to the rescue and stand up for her if her other friends start ragging on her and everything will be better! :D I'd be really happy if that happened.

I don't know if Anaru is annoyed. She seems hesitant to agree, but she seems like the type of person that tries not to mind if other people are being somewhat unpleasant. She's too "impressionable". In my opinion.
That'll be good, though some what cliched, but still good.

But I don't think Anaru is of a put-up-with-everything type. She seems to now, but it's not her true self. Maybe the child Anaru did have that personality, but she's grown up now, and changed. You can see that she has a strong personality when she play nokemon with Jintan and Poppo. It's just that she tried to hide that part of herself when she's with her current friends, to blend in, maybe, and try to move on with her life (meaning forget about Menma...). But she'll realise that she's chosen the wrong path, and be true to herself again.

Though what's really starting to annoy me is the fact that Jintan continues to believe that Menma is a figment of his imagination. She has already shown to affect the physical world, shown by Poppo in this episode, yet Jintan still makes no effort to prove to his friends that she exists.

I don't think prove Menma existence is the point. What Jintan needs now is that his friends believe in him, and show some supports (and Anaru did that already), whether Menma is real or not.

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-05, 23:10
I watched the ep a second time.

At first I was really pissed off at Yukiatsu, part of me still is actually. But somehow, that ending scene made me somehow feel sorry for him. His expression of desperation did the trick maybe?

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-05, 23:22
Ever since I suspected he was "Menma" I've felt more sorry for Yukiatsu than angry at him. But here's a question - does the fact that he was smelling his own dress make him less creepy, or more?

I agree with Garfield that proving Menma's existence is not the point. The question of just what Menma is still hangs over things, of course - though it seems obvious she's still an odd mix of little girl ("Let's pee together!") and teenager mentally and emotionally. But I think that question probably isn't the right one to be asking, as I don't think it's really going to be the point of the series. It's the impact she has on the others that really matters - not least, to Menma herself.

I think there were a couple of reasons Tsuruko "outed" Yukiatsu. Most obviously because she's holding a candle for him and this was a sort of intervention. But I also think for all her stern exterior she's a genuinely caring person. She likes Jinta and feels real sympathy for him, and she could see that for him the Menma-ghost thing was very real - and didn't like seeing Yukiatsu making a mockery of his feelings, be they illusory or not.

pagan poor
2011-05-05, 23:30
Yeah, the best way at getting back at some dude that "stole" your girl is to dress up like her and run around in front of the dude.

I don't even know where to start.

Sebasu
2011-05-05, 23:30
I wonder how Yukiatsu would even recover, after being exposed you're cross-dressing as your dead friend. That would be nearly impossible to imagine.

At first I was all "GET HIM! GET HIM!" on the forest scene, but then I started to feel really bad when he got caught.

As for Anaru, I have a bad feeling her "friends" would do something evil to her (or Jintan) when the time for Anaru to choose if it's childhood friend VS current "friends" comes.

aohige
2011-05-05, 23:37
Soon or later, I would like to see a satisfying bitchslap (figuratively, or literally, either would be fine) on those two no-good wench Anaru calls "friends".
Their demeanor and attitude is teeth grindingly irritating. Which is exactly what the director wants us to feel, I'm sure.

The easiest way to do that would be if Menma had gotten hold of that coffee mug and drank it in front of everyone.

"ZOMG FLOATING COFFEE CUP! COFFEE DRINKING POLTERGEIST!" :heh:

DragoonKain3
2011-05-05, 23:40
Jintan saving Anaru was awesome, but Tsuruko calling out Yukiatsu was AWESOMER. Tsuruko exhibiting a part of the epitome of the osananajimi (understanding to the extent of it almost being like telepathy) just had me squealing like fangirl. I guess that's one downside to these type of couplings.. you really can't hide anything.

I mean, Anaru being the more typical osananajimi is fine and all, but Tsuruko breaking out of the 'doormat' mold (as my RL friends deride them lol) by using this understanding of Yukiatsu to give him this no-nonsense attitude was highly entertaining to say the least. Kinda want her to go down that cliff, give Yukiatsu a slap, and then unleash her spiel while breaking down in tears... but that's just my shippy side talking lol. :heh:

Now if you'll excuse, I gotta watch the episode again...

james0246
2011-05-05, 23:55
1.) I love Tsuruko's carpet...and that's not a euphemism. During the brief scene in her room, we see a bit of her decorations (or lack thereof), and I was struck by how cute her carpet is (I'm unsure what the flower designs are...lilies?...).

2.) To continue with the floral theme, I love Poppo's short-sleeve shirt with the four leaf clover design.

As for the episode, well it was lots of fun (as usual). Ano Hana (and strangely enough, Ao no Exorcist) have been the most consistent anime titles for me this season, with each episode delivering their prerequisite emotional drama tinged with tragedy and a healthy dollop of comedy to help ease the mood (dare I say tension) between the "friends" (friends still being in quotation marks until such a time as the characters can stand to look each other in the eyes :)).

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-05, 23:55
On the subject of Jintan saving Anaru...

Let's review the parallels:

Series starts with a time jump.

Irinu Miyu plays the male lead whose child love passes away young.

Haruka Tomatsu plays the girl who was the "other" girl in the male lead's affections while the dead girl was alive.

Her character is sharp-tongued and sarcastic towards the hero, but obviously loves him and is plagued by deep insecurities about herself.

The dead girl (apparently) drowned in a river.

The presence of the dead girl hangs over everything that happens when the children are teenagers.

Hmmm...

ID555
2011-05-06, 00:17
On the subject of Jintan saving Anaru...

Let's review the parallels:

Series starts with a time jump.

Irinu Miyu plays the male lead whose child love passes away young.

Haruka Tomatsu plays the girl who was the "other" girl in the male lead's affections while the dead girl was alive.

Her character is sharp-tongued and sarcastic towards the hero, but obviously loves him and is plagued by deep insecurities about herself.

The dead girl (apparently) drowned in a river.

The presence of the dead girl hangs over everything that happens when the children are teenagers.

Hmmm...

One big difference that made the other one a lot more enjoyable for me though - male lead has unshakeable confidence and self esteem, hence a certain coolness:heh:

FlareKnight
2011-05-06, 00:44
Wow Yukiatsu....I mean it seemed like a probable theory, but seeing it in action is pretty creepy. Guy was full on jerk the whole episode so just laughing like heck when seeing him at the end of the episode. Saying things that he should know perfectly well that Menma wouldn't believe. His attempts to take alpha male dominance of things is pretty sad.

Seems that Anaru really is going to need this circle of friends pretty soon. Those jerk friends of hers really aren't making themselves look any better. Sure a friend clearly being torn and running off isn't fun, but that was some attitude the moment she was gone. Hopefully she can dump that duo pretty soon since they aren't doing her any favors in getting closer to Jintan. Still nice rescue by Jintan. Probably not necessary to be too hard on her since she wasn't goofing around and fell, just was a bit more focused on chasing after him than her footing. Of course if Menma did fall and die like that it's no surprise he wouldn't want to see version 2 of that event.

Was fun when Menma just jumped Poppo. Would have thought someone like him who is really getting into this would think it was Menma doing what she was doing. At least this just keeps adding fuel to the "yeah she's a strange kind of ghost" theory. If she can influence things that much maybe sooner or later Jintan should start showing that she is around.

Nice outing job by Tsuruko. I'm sure she was conflicted about doing it or not. But the fact that Yukiatsu was stepping on Jintan's feelings so much probably didn't quite sit right with her. Though probably the biggest reason was feeling the need to get him help and get this out in the open.

Silverwyrm
2011-05-06, 01:25

Was shown by Anaru in the first ep too, and she's even eaten something. Of course, if he still believes she's part of his imagination then that would be why he hasn't tried to prove it.

Anyone know how many ep's this is scheduled for?

Used Can
2011-05-06, 01:39
The problem with Jintan not believing that Menma exists is that there are other possible explanations like him being a schizo, having some sort of personality disorder or some other mental illness that affects his daily life. However, something that has to be noticed is that he pays more attention, and gives more concern to Menma with each passing episode. So, he's developing, even if slowly.

Tu101uk
2011-05-06, 01:41
Was shown by Anaru in the first ep too, and she's even eaten something. Of course, if he still believes she's part of his imagination then that would be why he hasn't tried to prove it.

Anyone know how many ep's this is scheduled for?
I believe someone said 11 before...

Anyways, so yeah, Yukiatsu outed... XD Acting jerkish and "alpha male" to the bitter end, all we're seeing is the shell of a pitiful guy obsessed with his dead love. Hopefully this will be a turning point for him and his problems...

And Tsuruko is brutal... :3 No hesitation in executing her keikaku, and outing Yukiatsu in the forest like that... XD She seems quite attached to the group, actually - she's still got those fond memories within her, drawing Menma like that with her colouring pencils and telling Jinta (read: Menma) how to cook them muffins properly. I'm liking her cool, calculating personality, though I'm pretty sure it's much different from the rather quirky-looking Tsuruko as we saw her as a child...

I foresee a confrontation with Anaru's galpals soon... o_o This should be interesting to watch, it could be "redemption" episode time for her.

Next week seems like aftermath, though it didn't really reveal all that much... >.< Dangit, isn't it next Friday yet? T.TGood episode was good, methinks... ^_^

O-O~

-Sho-
2011-05-06, 02:18
So it's confirmed , Yukiatsu was cross-dressing... epic episode.
I'll say , fortunately Poppo is here , he's pushing everyone.
Can we say that Menma really exists ? You know , she might be Jinta's hallucination & mental illness.
Maybe it's the fact that he didn't want people to change(EP1) that he created Menma in his head to help him bring back the Peace Busters + Menma is still the Menma when he last saw.
People changes. He did too. He's unsociable & stay in his home. He's bored to this life.
Or not :p

applejuice
2011-05-06, 03:05
This was the single most funnest episode I've seen this year. I couldn't stop laughing with Yukiatsu's just-as-keikaku smile. What's more hilarious was that calm and sweet ending theme song was playing on background during that epic chase scene.

Ano Hana surprised me yet again with this creative revelation. This is too good.

esereht
2011-05-06, 03:19
Episode 4 was epic. Never expected that they would reveal who who the fake menma was that quick though.

and as for Yukiatsu, Good God man.

Sertrel
2011-05-06, 03:40
Okay, after this episode, I think I'm in love with Tsuruko. SO GREAT.

physics223
2011-05-06, 05:19
I just wonder why Jinta won't tell Menma to manifest herself to others. She can affect the physical world, and it won't be hard for her to just move glasses or something to prove she's there. It's something that bothers me, but the episode is top-notch.

darkmanure
2011-05-06, 05:31
He still thinks that he is hallucinating. I think that is why. Check out what he says about his imagination after getting home.

physics223
2011-05-06, 06:03
The thing I've argued with time and again is that it's most likely not schizophrenia because Jinta has full grasp of reality. Besides, schizophrenia generates auditory hallucinations, and not visual ones.

darkmanure
2011-05-06, 06:13
I think she is a ghost as well. Ano Hana has been pretty consistent in her activities. Which is why I believe she won't pick up a cup or anything to leave us in suspense. I think in the end everybody in the group will believe Jinta even without seeing any proof.

Kanon
2011-05-06, 06:46
I'm warming up to Tsukuro. It seems like I was wrong about her - she IS the most mature person of the group. She can be a little harsh and come across as a bitch sometimes (like in episode 2), but she genuinely cares about her friends. She can read people really well and unlike most, she isn't afraid to tell them when they need to hear. Some of them need a kick in the butt to move on (Yukiatsu and Jinta in particular) and she's there to deliver it.

About Yukiatsu... I'm still hesitating between pathetic and pitiful for him. Did he come up with the whole cross-dressing act out of jealousy after hearing Jinta could see Menma or is it something he's already been doing for a long time? Tsukuro's words in this episode and the previous one (when they went shopping together) implied it's the later, in which case I'm leaning toward pitiful. Either way, he acted like a pure jerk in this episode, which made the ending absolutely hilarious.

The most important scene of the episode besides the last one for me was the one where Anaru almost fell. So much was conveyed in that short scene.

KRegnard
2011-05-06, 07:16
MANma has issues...

applejuice
2011-05-06, 07:29
Newtype magazine scanwwwwwwwwwwwww
http://i.imgur.com/Dw2rh.jpg

Menma version 2 is true Menma.

ahelo
2011-05-06, 07:32

Someone get a better scan of this because I love Luigi Menma.:D

Here's my take on the episode (http://traveleronrevenge.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/anohana-04-yuki-chan-exposed/)

Go Yukiatsu!!

Ascaloth
2011-05-06, 08:33
About Memma, I think she'll turn out to be this series' big unanswered question. Is she a hallucination, or is she a real poltergeist? My bet is, the approach that will be taken is "who cares", and will focus on how the rest of the group finally deal with and get over that particular traumatic event together in the end.

CWW
2011-05-06, 08:34
Daaaaaaaayyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuum

I don't know what Yukiatsu was trying to prove there by going into the woods crossdressing, besides getting discovered, but at least the story is moving along nicely, which is absolutely necessary for an 11-episode run.

Great to see how L Tsuruko planned to rile up Kira Yukiatsu. She's sly alright. Not as coy as I claimed her to be. Also, dat side tail. I wouldn't mind Tsuruko getting more screen time if she wore her hair that way more often. Anaru's twin tails, not as successful this time. I really like how their appearances change all the time. Good job, A-1!

And Yukiatsu, what a jerk! Jinta's claim of seeing Menma could be construed as a cry for attention, but he instigated the whole thing by toying with Jinta and deliberately stating to forget Menma's wish, even though that wouldn't be like her. Yeah, maybe it's a cry to himself to move on, but meh, you'll get no sympathy from me! You made Menma cry!

Obviously, Jinta doesn't want to make a big fuss over seeing Menma by convincing others she's there. He doesn't want to be seen as a crazy person, even though he said the contrary in this episode. I think he still believes it's a temporary thing, ghost or hallucination, implied by his 'summer beast' remark, which is lifted once Menma's wish is fulfilled. [edit: also I agree it's not the point of the story.]

As a last note, for a minute there, I thought Jinta found out about Anaru's crush when he remembered her question when they were kids, but alas, we are left in the dark. Anaru fighting!

Otani-kun
2011-05-06, 09:19
I know there's people sympathizing and feeling sorry for Yukiatsu here, but I still cant. Aside from trying to trick the group into forgetting about the wish and trying to get attention by saying he could see Menma, he also told Jinta that he didnt acknowledge him then and he still doesnt now. Unless something happens, he's just not a real friend in this group imo.

And Tsuruko just became one of my favorite characters in the show, she's awesome for revealing Yukiatsu. Of course she knew all along too, since she was forced to come along with him for picking out accessories for a girl. Now if only Anaru would stand up to those two annoying girls and tell them off, that would make my day.

omimon
2011-05-06, 10:24

AHHHHH my eyes!!! Cannot unsee!!!

DragoZERO
2011-05-06, 11:35
Ohhhh snap!! Excellent episode. Anaru is so darn cute. Jinta saved her like a pro too. Smooth. But the end there... oh man. Didn't someone say it as a joke first? But it was actually true. Tsuruko has probably been waiting to shatter his illusion.

Menma version 2 is true Menma.That's horrible. Why would they even do that? :rolleyes:

Malkuth
2011-05-06, 12:29
Very good episode structure, they picked from last one, built-up Yukiatsu's circumstances, while exposing and resolving the situation through Tsuruko's point of view... how she picked up small details from what the other characters saw and coming to the conclusion that it was Yukiatsu, and in addition giving everyone a breather along with the non-perceptive audience before exposing him.

... and a really cute Anaru pic

http://amenojaku.net/media/hotlink/2011_spring/AnoHana_Naruko%20(10).jpg

Reckoner
2011-05-06, 12:36
Funny enough, this show's biggest weakness is Memma. I gave this episode an 8/10 which is still very good, but I can't help but think they're overplaying the melodrama card with Memma.

Every episode now, we have been treated to scenes of Memma crying, and often more than once.

Now I don't mind melodrama, but when they do this too much, they're overplaying their hand. The reason the scene of her crying in episode 1 during the scene of her mother was effective was precisely because it had a nice lead up, but now it seems that whenever she is reminded of her friends being together, she breaks out into tears.

I don't particularly appreciate these attempts at trying to force out emotion out of me.

Furthermore, the drama of each scene is a little weakened every-time she opens up her mouth. I mean this is my own personal perception of course, but unless this Memma is a delusion of Jintan, it almost cheapens his actions and words. It takes away from the reality of the situation.

Basically, my only problem with the show so far is the lack of subtlety in execution. The emotions will flow naturally without Memma dancing around on screen with tears in her eyes, they don't need to exaggerate it so much.

Anyhow, I think the final key to dispelling Memma will be Jintan's apology to Memma, and the removal of the guilty conscience of himself and his friends.

ars89
2011-05-06, 12:40
Wanted to beat up Yukiatsu the whole ep. The guy is obsessed with Menma, but he really doesn't know her. He made stuff up that the real one would never say in the first place.

Tsuruko read him like a book. Didn't think it would be revealed so soon though. Glad everyone knows now. I still want to beat him up, but i kind of feel sorry for the guy. He clearly has issues. Him dressing up as Menma just shows how messed up he is.

Also when Anaru almost fell, looked like something similar happened to the way Menma might have died.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-05-06, 12:40
This ep didn't do much for me. Too weird to be interesting -- and I usually like weird. But I just didn't feel the characters.
About Memma, I think she'll turn out to be this series' big unanswered question. Is she a hallucination, or is she a real poltergeist? My bet is, the approach that will be taken is "who cares", and will focus on how the rest of the group finally deal with and get over that particular traumatic event together in the end.This would be interesting, but how can she be a hallucination when at least two people who cannot see her and have no idea she is "there" have felt her weight?
Okay, after this episode, I think I'm in love with Tsuruko. SO GREAT. One reason she is so great is that Hayami Saori is doing a fantastic job with her voice. Hayamin's work has grown tremendously in the past year.

She is doing a radio show (http://www.marine-e.net/sp/aoisaori/) right now with Yuuki Aoi. The preview episode revealed what a contrast they are: fast-talking ota-kid Ao-chan and elegant lady Hayamin. Two of my favorite seiyuus.

The fact that the radio show (http://www.marine-e.net/sp/aoisaori/) is not connected with any particular anime demonstrates that these two 19-year-olds are hitting the big time as seiyuu personalities. (The audio is at the bottom of the linked page. You can hear their personalities even if you can't understand Japanese.)

pagan poor
2011-05-06, 12:44
Anaru and Tsuruko have become the show hairdo fashion plates.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-06, 12:50

MANma is clearly becoming a bit of cult favorite already. Can the "Church of Manma" be far behind?

Pocari_Sweat
2011-05-06, 13:10
MANma is clearly becoming a bit of cult favorite already. Can the "Church of Manma" be far behind?

Pretty sure any church other than the "Church of Madoka" will be deemed as blasphemy at the moment :P

Johnny
2011-05-06, 13:13

Then don't look at the last page of a new doujinshi that recently popped up...:heh:

Agree with the poster above that if she was just an hallucination then how can they feel her weight. Plus the bread she made...

OceanBlue
2011-05-06, 13:18
Then don't look at the last page of a new doujinshi that recently popped up...:heh:

I... what? Oh dear. I don't even want to think about it.

Nikkan
2011-05-06, 13:37
I'm getting more annoyed with Jintan actually. The fact that I also start to question if Menma is a ghost or just his imagination makes it worse.
I wish he would get Menma to do something then ask what the other see. Same thing with the scene when she jumped on Poppo, if he just got the guts to say "It's because Menma is on your back" everything would become easier (Or at least start by telling everyone you can see her ghost)

These last two episodes also gave me creeps over just how obsessed they are with a dead person. I mean "going to look for her"? and the way Poppo bluntly believes it makes me a bit uneasy while watching. I think Tsuruko is the one closes to how a normal person react. (Quiet, not using her name much, still grieving)

Soconfused
2011-05-06, 14:13
O man, I literally had my hands in front of my mouth at the end of the episode. I'm so easily embarrassed for people, it was too much for me. I'm honestly really interested in how Yukiatsu is gonna come back from this. I just can't see him hanging out with the rest of them with this always hanging over their heads, I would rag on him 24/7. Tsuruko must of known he wasn't right all this time, she should of done something. :uhoh:

I'm also getting annoying at how the anime is going about Menma's interaction with the world. At this point, it would seem to be extremely easy to make them beleive she exists. Have her punch some in the stomach, you know, pick up a cup of coffee, drop kick someone in the face, anything really. It's become clear that she can't be a hallucination as she has interacted with two people already, so I don't see why Jintan doesn't just say "yo, watch this, Menma, punch Anaru in the mouth." and she gets punched in the mouth and everyones a believer. It's the only thing really bugging me at this point.

darkmanure
2011-05-06, 14:40
The whole making Menma picking up stuff to prove herself would make things awkward as hell and is not the point of this anime.

totoum
2011-05-06, 14:45
... and a really cute Anaru pic

Meganekko Anaru is best Anaru :)

One reason she is so great is that Hayami Saori is doing a fantastic job with her voice.

I'll second this,I liked her already but I'm discovering a whole new side to her that I like even more.

As for Menma,Jintan still believes she's an halucination,that's why he doesn't try to convince people that she's real,because he doesn't think she is even if he's starting to have doubts.
Before talking to Yukiatsu he asks himself "what am I doing?" because he doesn't really believe his Menma is any more real than Yukiatsu's.

Though he should seriously be asking himself questions by now.

guuchan
2011-05-06, 15:46
Arrgh, Yukiatsu.

After this episode I actually start to think Menma is Jinta's illusion. As in, only Jinta can see her. Maybe near the end of the show everyone will "feel" her being there, but Jinta will be the only one who can really see her after all. I mean, you can still call her a ghost. Ghost is not something that's meant to be seen by everyone anyway.

This episode also kind of showed how Menma died. I doubt she simply just ran around the hill and fell off the slope into the river, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up that way. This show doesn't seem to be about twists; it's more about the execution of a simple idea and it has been doing an excellent job so far.

P.S. Hayami's best character so far is still Ikaros in SoraOto. Just loved her in it.

Haak
2011-05-06, 15:58
I actually thought this episode was terrific. To me the drama was just spot on. I'm really enjoying every moment.

Silverwyrm
2011-05-06, 16:00
This would be interesting, but how can she be a hallucination when at least two people who cannot see her and have no idea she is "there" have felt her weight?

Could be a matter of warped perception, when she moves an object and someone else notices (whether it is the object moving or that it was moved) then we'll have a sure answer. I think it is leaning towards "real poltergeist" but there is still possibility it isn't.

Malkuth
2011-05-06, 17:35
Meganekko Anaru is best Anaru :)

Oh! yes... unfortunately, in her first doujinshi she does not wear them, damn you UROBOROS :frustrated:

Flower
2011-05-06, 19:18
8/10 from me for this ep - well done! :D

Man ... it's embarrassing enough to secretly cross-dress to somehow emphasize that one is not "out of the loop" or playing second fiddle again after all these years, but to get caught in the act?

BTW - as a side note I giggle to myself every time I see Haak's animated avatar. Kudos for that one! :D

wandering-dreamer
2011-05-06, 20:01
Alright, I take it back, y'all weren't crazy at all, clearly this show is. :heh: But yeah, wow, I did feel bad for Yukiatsu since crossdressing as your dead friend would indicate that something is at least a bit rattled in your attic. And was it just me or did it sound like Tsuruko was quoting something at him? She came up with what to say awfully fast in any case.

Midnight Bliss
2011-05-06, 20:16
I also think this episode was yet another terrific episode. Each episode has delivered much more than enough for me. Tsuruko is definitely my second favorite character now with just this ep, Menma being my first. I don't hate Yukiatsu for cross-dressing, I just think it's creepy. Waiting for next ep for explanations. I do think he's a huge jerk, though, so if there's any reason I hate him, it's for that.
Have to say, unlike everyone else, character that isn't doing it for me is Anaru. She's cute, but nothing else for her over here, plus how much she wants to be like Menma after all this time. I really can't speculate or think of anything, this show is pretty complicated in that aspect for me, but I'm fine with enjoying the ride and letting everything surprise me. Loving this series so much, I really haven't looked forward to an anime as much as this in a while.

Triple_R
2011-05-06, 20:26
I liked this episode a lot, but my views are similar to Reckoner's.

Each episode so far shines wonderfully in a vacuum, but the cumulative effect of them, for me at least, is that the emotional impact is gradually lessening. And that's ironically because there's just too much of it. Too much of Menma crying, and too much strenuously sustained sentimentality. It does feel a little bit forced to me, and I find myself growing a bit numb to it all.

That being said, I love how brisk the plot movement is, and the reveal involving Yukiatsu is both interesting and, I have to admit, a bit amusing (primarily due to its excellent execution). This group of friends are all very psychologically fascinating, really.

8/10 for this episode.

On the whole, AnoHana remains a superb slice of life drama, and I am looking forward to more.

Ascaloth
2011-05-06, 20:44
This would be interesting, but how can she be a hallucination when at least two people who cannot see her and have no idea she is "there" have felt her weight?

I vaguely remember some Japanese superstition that the spirits of dead people can weigh on a living person's shoulders, or something to that effect, thus my hypothesis. Anyone more familiar with Japanese beliefs can back me up on this?

Agree with the poster above that if she was just an hallucination then how can they feel her weight. Plus the bread she made...

Well from my POV, there's still nothing in AnoHana so far which rules out 'Unreliable Narrator'. It's still entirely possible the failmuffins were made by Jintan all along, and what we're seeing is a continuation of his delusions.

After all, I do remember at least one scene in a previous episode where Menma seemed to scarf down a piece of BBQed meat right in front of Poppo, and the latter didn't notice. So yeah. Great unanswered question.

germanturkey
2011-05-06, 21:33
what the shit. Yukiatsu has some problems.. 'nuff said. i'm still annoyed by Jintan's attitude. yeah, he has mental issues, but he's still annoying to watch as a main character. i wouldn't go as far as to say he has entitlement issues because of his circumstance, but he's nearly there.

Malkuth
2011-05-06, 22:52
I vaguely remember some Japanese superstition that the spirits of dead people can weigh on a living person's shoulders, or something to that effect, thus my hypothesis. Anyone more familiar with Japanese beliefs can back me up on this?

I remember an american horror flick about it, set in Tokyo, in between :heh:

Well from my POV, there's still nothing in AnoHana so far which rules out 'Unreliable Narrator'. It's still entirely possible the failmuffins were made by Jintan all along, and what we're seeing is a continuation of his delusions.

After all, I do remember at least one scene in a previous episode where Menma seemed to scarf down a piece of BBQed meat right in front of Poppo, and the latter didn't notice. So yeah. Great unanswered question.

As I said, it would be really cool if the anime shows Jintan's PoV, and he is indeed delusional, some of my favourite movies and novels did it, but it's unlikely NoitaminA et al :p

what the shit. Yukiatsu has some problems.. 'nuff said. i'm still annoyed by Jintan's attitude. yeah, he has mental issues, but he's still annoying to watch as a main character. i wouldn't go as far as to say he has entitlement issues because of his circumstance, but he's nearly there.

Social hypocrisy, anyone :heh: Nice touch, but all too common or should I say a requirement in lawful societies :p

Anyway, thinking about Tsuruko, she is quite a bitch, first snubbing her childhood friends (Jinta and Anaru), and then ridiculing Yukiatsu, who trusted her (his character taken into account, secretive and all). I'm looking forward into how they'll remedy that in the comming episodes.

Oh! and I wish they stop calling Naruko anal, I mean come on... now, we even have fan-art to go with that nickname :rolleyes:

Triple_R
2011-05-06, 23:02
On the question "Is the Menma that Jinta's seeing an actual ghost/spirit, or a creation of his psyche?":

From Episodes 1 to 3, I was pretty convinced that it was an actual ghost/spirit. That this really was Menma. The main reason being that we saw scenes of Menma where she wasn't with Jinta.

After Episode 4, though, I'm not so sure.

The main reason being that I found it kind of weird how Jinta's "Menma" was so excited at the prospect of finding Yukiatsu's "Menma".

Trying to imagine myself as an actual ghost... even as a ghost, I think I'd be kind of weirded out at the notion that somebody was impersonating me after my death, or that there was another "me" out there that wasn't, well, me. :heh:.

I certainly wouldn't be pumped at the idea of seeing this post-death impersonator of me.

But then, I'm not a kid, so maybe that's a factor.

Still, the idea of Jinta's "Menma" being something of a psychological projection for him, a symbolic representation of his lingering attachment to Menma and feelings of regret and nostalgia pertaining to her, now seems at least possible to me.

It doesn't account for everything - such as the incredibly odd coincidence that Jinta's 'psychological projection' would just happen to be hopping on Poppo while a coffee is giving him a real bad case of the shakes - but I can see it fitting most things. For example, it's possible that Jinta himself made the failmuffins, and just attributed it to "Menma".

One thing I do find interesting about this interpretation is that if Jinta's "Menma" is a symbolic psychological projection of his own lingering attachment to Menma, it would make perfect sense for Jinta's "Menma" to want to see the real one.

All of this is pretty deep and psychobabble-y I know, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

FlareKnight
2011-05-07, 00:25
On the question "Is the Menma that Jinta's seeing an actual ghost/spirit, or a creation of his psyche?":

From Episodes 1 to 3, I was pretty convinced that it was an actual ghost/spirit. That this really was Menma. The main reason being that we saw scenes of Menma where she wasn't with Jinta.

After Episode 4, though, I'm not so sure.

The main reason being that I found it kind of weird how Jinta's "Menma" was so excited at the prospect of finding Yukiatsu's "Menma".

Trying to imagine myself as an actual ghost... even as a ghost, I think I'd be kind of weirded out at the notion that somebody was impersonating me after my death, or that there was another "me" out there that wasn't, well, me. :heh:.

I certainly wouldn't be pumped at the idea of seeing this post-death impersonator of me.

But then, I'm not a kid, so maybe that's a factor.

Still, the idea of Jinta's "Menma" being something of a psychological projection for him, a symbolic representation of his lingering attachment to Menma and feelings of regret and nostalgia pertaining to her, now seems at least possible to me.

It doesn't account for everything - such as the incredibly odd coincidence that Jinta's 'psychological projection' would just happen to be hopping on Poppo while a coffee is giving him a real bad case of the shakes - but I can see it fitting most things. For example, it's possible that Jinta himself made the failmuffins, and just attributed it to "Menma".

One thing I do find interesting about this interpretation is that if Jinta's "Menma" is a symbolic psychological projection of his own lingering attachment to Menma, it would make perfect sense for Jinta's "Menma" to want to see the real one.

All of this is pretty deep and psychobabble-y I know, but I just thought I'd put it out there.Think we do have to take into account that Menma is a bit odd. Plus she doesn't really understand her own existence so can she be sure that she's the only Menma? Plus even it was something strange like that if there was another one like her then she might feel less alone. Sure she can interact with Jinta, but not being the only one like her would probably be comforting in a way.

I'm not against the possibility of the psychological debate, but I'm still believing completely with the ghost theory. The reactions of characters she has interacted with are pretty good. Plus the whole scene at her own home would be even more odd if she was just Jinta's hallucination.

lahfielxi
2011-05-07, 00:39
It's not just the weight on shoulders. Temperature drop/chills observed on two occasions also are associated with ghosts.

It still seems like the most obvious thing to me.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-07, 01:57
I still think this is ultimately the wrong question. The anime isn't about paranormal research - it's about the impact Menma had in the past and continues to have on all of the Busters (especially Jinta). Who knows for sure, but it's very possible you're setting yourselves up for disappointment if you expect the show to ever spell out just exactly what Menma is.

Reckoner
2011-05-07, 04:19
I still think this is ultimately the wrong question. The anime isn't about paranormal research - it's about the impact Menma had in the past and continues to have on all of the Busters (especially Jinta). Who knows for sure, but it's very possible you're setting yourselves up for disappointment if you expect the show to ever spell out just exactly what Menma is.

You're very right, but the effect of what Memma is I think can skew perspective on this show quite a bit.

Lets say she is a ghost. That means she's a very convenient plot device to drive Jintan and friends together rather than they naturally come together. It's a fairy tale like ending literally.

But on the hand, if she is simple his hallucination, Jinta's pain, then it's a whole different ball park. This means that everyone of her desires and wishes are things Jintan projects onto what he thinks of Memma. When he probably apologizes to her, he will release the guilt within him and she'll most likely disappear (Well that and probably the clearance of the friend's consciences too).

Very different type of story depending on how we are supposed to interpret her. Forgive me if I didn't explain it well though, frankly I'm exhausted at the moment.

darkmanure
2011-05-07, 04:23
I agree with that. I'm not expecting her to prove herself at all. I actually don't want her to prove herself. I want the group to believe in him without the proof that he can see Menma. It'll be better for the character development and it'll be much more entertaining.

Having her prove herself will result in boring drama or lack of it. I bet most of them will just ask what Menma wanted and have Jinta relay her message and how the hell would the other characters grow in that situation?

MeoTwister5
2011-05-07, 04:46
I'd have to say that for almost all intents and purposes, Menma has been more of an observer to the lives of her friends rather than the one who moves things along. While her sudden appearance to Jinta ultimately put him on the road where he is now, and trying to get his other friends to travel said road, everything from that point on has been Jinta's actions and prerogatives.

To make a Cross Game comparison (that many of us have been doing here already), Wakaba was a prime mover for both characters, however while her lasting influence was what put them on the road, the desire to keep traveling it was ultimately Kou and Aoba's choice. The difference here is that Menma has a viewable presence with a small bit of influence only for Jinta, and everyone else aren't directly influenced by her. In CG it's really up to the viewer's personal beliefs whether Wakaba was "watching" them. In both cases it's the same: the influence of those who have passed on beforehand remain that, an influence, and the actions are almost entirely up to those who have taken it to themselves to carry on the memory.

Anyway great episode that really fleshes out just how different each character's coping mechanisms are. Some are more mature about it (Poppo) while others quite obviously have gotten some pretty messed up psychological scars (Jinta, Yukiatsu). One can say that Jinta isn't that far behind Yukiatsu if he doesn't watch himself. As the scene where he catches Anaru just a few feet away from where Menma herself died so many years ago, it shows that it is perhaps the most isolated and cautious of minds that are the most fragile minds of all.

coderlan
2011-05-07, 05:05
Yukiatsu is obsessed with Menma - Tsuruko proved this by saying "You can't forget about her. You're forever obsessed with her. You're pathetic." to Jintan and then adding "Yukiatsu was talking about himself when he said that."

guuchan
2011-05-07, 06:51
It's not just the weight on shoulders. Temperature drop/chills observed on two occasions also are associated with ghosts.

It still seems like the most obvious thing to me.

This show is kind of told from Jinta's PoV, so those "hints" could be purposefully misleading. Maybe Poppo just happened to feel a chill; maybe Tsuruko just suddenly got a shoulder pain; maybe Jinta made the bread himself all along. We don't know at this point.

I was saying that on IRC yesterday, that the show might just end with Jinta being not able to tell whether the Menma was his hallucination or a real ghost. Which means:

Menma will disappear; and
In the end no one else other than Jinta can see Menma after all, but very likely they will feel her presence before she disappears.

At this point, it doesn't really matter anymore though whether Menma is a hallucination or a real ghost. She's already serving a purpose, they will find out what her wish was, fullfil it, and she will disappear, either as a hallucination or a real ghost. I'm tending to believe Menma is the former case though after episode 4 as mentioned in my previous post.

FireChick
2011-05-07, 07:18
Wow! This episode was just downright awesome!!

But...

Oh my God...Yukiatsu...WHAT THE FREAK!!!:twitch::twitch::eyespin::eyespin::twitch: :twitch: Okay, I must confess, I felt VERY uncomfortable watching Yukiatsu get caught like that. Boys dressing like a girl are one thing (don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Wandering Son), but a teenage boy dressing up as his DEAD girl friend? Honestly, that's going a bit too far. He needs therapy. BIG time.

But even so, I want to see what happens in the next episode! I don't want to wait another week!

cherrycolaz
2011-05-07, 07:21
Menma is a ghost. She can't be a hallucination. Reason:

In episode one (at 20:05), we could see her visit her own family's home and accidentally knock down a glass of water on the table. Hallucinations can't do that.
Secondly, she baked those muffins. Yet again, not something hallucinations can do.
Thirdly, as we saw in episode 4, she jumped on Poppo and he could feel her weight. Can people actually feel a hallucination's weight? Nope. Unless it's a ghost.

These things points to the fact that Menma, in fact, is a ghost. Though I don't know why only Jintan can see her. I'm quite sure it's because she told him about her wish? And that only he knows about it and can fulfill it. Yet he forgot about it and so did she... so the anime is basically about finding out about the wish and fulfilling it, and once it's been fulfilled, everybody can see Menma. THE END. Happy ending. Yay. :D

guuchan
2011-05-07, 07:32
These things points to the fact that Menma, in fact, is a ghost. Though I don't know why only Jintan can see her. I'm quite sure it's because she told him about her wish? And that only he knows about it and can fulfill it. Yet he forgot about it and so did she... so the anime is basically about finding out about the wish and fulfilling it, and once it's been fulfilled, everybody can see Menma. THE END. Happy ending. Yay. :D

When you see a ghost, everything you see is the ghost's doing; when others can't see it, all they see are accidents, or even just natural phenomenons really. We, the audience, are put in the PoV of former case. As I said though, it doesn't really matter whether she's a hallucination or a ghost. But I just can't buy that happy ending you described; I know it sounds good, but I will be both rationally and emotionally disappointed if the story does end with everyone living happily ever after with a ghost and then medetashi medetashi. :heh:

CWW
2011-05-07, 07:34
One can say that Jinta isn't that far behind Yukiatsu if he doesn't watch himself.
Why is that? Because he can see Menma? Because he doesn't go to school? Because Anaru's tripping made him remember of unpleasant things in the past?

His mother and best friend passed away suddenly. You can't simply forget them and move on, even when five years have passed. He has every reason to mope around. He is trying his best now to come out of his shell (with a little help from Menma) and for that he should be applauded, not criticized.

Yukiatsu is an entirely dfferent matter. He can't let go of the past, not because he doesn't want to, but because his mind refuses to. To make things worse, he has a superiority complex. There may be other reasons behind it, such as his relationship with his parents, but it's clear that he has much, much bigger issues than Jinta.

Assuming Jinta isn't schizophrenic. I don't think they're going for that route though. I sense optimism rather than Fight Club-esque plot twists.

Haak
2011-05-07, 07:58
You're very right, but the effect of what Memma is I think can skew perspective on this show quite a bit.

Lets say she is a ghost. That means she's a very convenient plot device to drive Jintan and friends together rather than they naturally come together. It's a fairy tale like ending literally.

But on the hand, if she is simple his hallucination, Jinta's pain, then it's a whole different ball park. This means that everyone of her desires and wishes are things Jintan projects onto what he thinks of Memma. When he probably apologizes to her, he will release the guilt within him and she'll most likely disappear (Well that and probably the clearance of the friend's consciences too).

Very different type of story depending on how we are supposed to interpret her. Forgive me if I didn't explain it well though, frankly I'm exhausted at the moment.

Maybe it coukld be both? That Menma is a ghost of the real Menma but it's Jinta's pain that brought her in the real world.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-07, 08:38
To whoever said Yukiatsu was crossdressing: good catch.

(Am I the only one who laughed despite knowing it was more pathetic than ridiculous? Kinda felt bad, but couldn't help it.)

Anyway, thinking about Tsuruko, she is quite a bitch, first snubbing her childhood friends (Jinta and Anaru), and then ridiculing Yukiatsu, who trusted her (his character taken into account, secretive and all). I'm looking forward into how they'll remedy that in the comming episodes.

I don't remember her snubbing Jinta. She was rather distant, yes, but so was Jinta.

As for Anaru, she was angry at her. Some would say "unfairly", but as far as I'm concerned, it's "understandably".

And yes, she did betray Yukiatsu, in a way. Though it's not like he told her he was crossdressing - he was using her as a cover so as to not appear creepy when buying female accessories and the like. But to come back to Tsuruko - I think her intentions were good. (And that, bottom line, she made the right choice.) Hilarious as Yukiatsu's activities were to us, they weren't healthy. They were hurting to himself and the rest of the Busters. And, more importantly to her, they're a symptom of his inability to move forward, which has to be confronted, too.

Triple_R
2011-05-07, 08:42
the effect of what Memma is I think can skew perspective on this show quite a bit.

I agree with this. However, I don't agree with your take on how that changes the perspective on this show.

I disagree. If Menma is a ghost then she's not a "very convenient plot device", but rather an actual character, with her own goals, independence, and personality. As an actual character, and a central one at that, she is legitimately playing a key role in bringing the gang back together.

If the Menma that Jinta is seeing is a ghost, then this is as much about her as it is about the rest of the gang. In other words, this is partly about her personally moving on, Angel Beats! style.

In fact, if Menma is a ghost, this is arguably more her story than anybody else's. In many ways, she becomes the focal character, and the main plot mover.

But on the hand, if she is simply his hallucination, Jinta's pain, then it's a whole different ball park. This means that everyone of her desires and wishes are things Jintan projects onto what he thinks of Memma. When he probably apologizes to her, he will release the guilt within him and she'll most likely disappear (Well that and probably the clearance of the friend's consciences too).

I don't think it's quite that simple.

If Jinta's Menma is a hallucination then he is very, very psychologically disturbed. Somewhat ironically, I would find this anime much darker if Jinta's Menma is a hallucination than if she's a ghost. I mean, you have to be very psychological disturbed to have daily hallucinations on this level.

Also, if Jinta's Menma is a hallucination then this story isn't really about her, per se, but rather about the rest of the gang (Jinta and Yukiatsu in particular) trying to get over her lost. In other words, it's not about fulfilling her wish, whatever that may be, but rather about Jinta et al learning to leave their past behind and finally deal with the lost of Menma, and psychologically heal from it.

Knightrunner
2011-05-07, 09:23
Yukiatsu is just plain pitiful. If Yukiatsu really meant what he said about never acknowledging Jinta before then he wasn't really a friend before either. Just a guy who wants to outdo the other guy. I was angry when I saw those words subbed. After, I saw the endind I felt more pity than anger.

Tsuruko went up in my book. She was epic in this episode even though I think she is a bit harsh and too blunt sometimes, especially to Anaru. After seeing her color pencil drawings, explaing how to correct those muffins, her reminiscing about her childhood days, and destroying Yukiatsu rumors showed how much she cared about the group. I use to thought she was hanging around Yukiatsu because he seemed to have his act together compared to Jinta, but I was totally wrong.

Jinta annoys me a bit at times. It feels like he is doing h*lf *ss work especially when it comes to bringing people together. Poppo, Anaru, and Tsuruko are making the geniune effort, but Jinta needs a ghost(Menma) to tell him what to do. He can be so thick headed sometimes.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-07, 11:38
Interestingly, for all the complaints that AnoHana shouldn't have gotten a sub-forum (which as the mods pointed out is not based mainly on the sheer number of posts) this episode thread now has 25 more posts than the thread for the excellent 5th ep of HanaIro. Maybe Manma was the thing to finally make AnoHana go from popular to viral. :heh:

germanturkey
2011-05-07, 11:43
when Iroha gets a cross dressing guy, then we'll talk... :p

Anh_Minh
2011-05-07, 11:56
Well, I wouldn't put it above Jirou... Or that old guy he was going to put in bondage...

Tooru would surprise me, though.

Knightrunner
2011-05-07, 12:45
Interestingly, for all the complaints that AnoHana shouldn't have gotten a sub-forum (which as the mods pointed out is not based mainly on the sheer number of posts) this episode thread now has 25 more posts than the thread for the excellent 5th ep of HanaIro. Maybe Manma was the thing to finally make AnoHana go from popular to viral. :heh:

To be fair, I haven't heard of this anime until I checked the subforums. Then I checked the images and I said to myself these characters look nicely drawn, I better check this out. Then sure enough, Nokemon and WcDanalds got me into this anime :heh:

Glad this anime gotten it's own subforum.

aohige
2011-05-07, 13:05
So, are we gonna be rehashing this Ghost vs Just Trippin' Man for the next seven episode threads? :heh:

CWW
2011-05-07, 13:28
In that case... shipping wars?

Jinta x Anaru
Yukiatsu x Ghost Menma
Poppo x Tsuruko

:V

Anh_Minh
2011-05-07, 13:36
Harem end, with Jinta as the focus. (Yes, including Jinta x Poppo and Jinta x Yukiatsu.)

Especially the last: why do you think Yukiatsu's turning into Menma? He's just even worse about it than Anaru...

CWW
2011-05-07, 13:55
That's brilliant!

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-07, 14:42
To be fair, I haven't heard of this anime until I checked the subforums. Then I checked the images and I said to myself these characters look nicely drawn, I better check this out. Then sure enough, Nokemon and WcDanalds got me into this anime :heh:

Glad this anime gotten it's own subforum.

I love hearing that - one of my initial responses to the complainers was that sometimes the very act of getting a sub-forum draws more viewers (and posts) to a series.

Sheba
2011-05-07, 18:04
It was psgels from Star Crossed blog who made me check this series. I am a sucker for stories about friends drifting away or trying to stay tight-knit.

Malkuth
2011-05-07, 18:31

In episode one (at 20:05), we could see her visit her own family's home and accidentally knock down a glass of water on the table. Hallucinations can't do that.
Secondly, she baked those muffins. Yet again, not something hallucinations can do.
Thirdly, as we saw in episode 4, she jumped on Poppo and he could feel her weight. Can people actually feel a hallucination's weight? Nope. Unless it's a ghost.

It can be a narrative trick, in other words, we show what Jintan thought that Menma should be doing.
Jintan could very well have cooked while believing that Menma did it, common with schizopherics, and was also the main plot device in Fight Club, among other films, and novels.
There can be a billion reasons, why Poppo felt something heavy, for example blood pressure (getting excited with his physique), and Jintan explained it through Menma's overzealous hug.

Anyway, my point is that it is possible for Menma to be Jintan's delusion, but meta-thinking it is very unlikely :heh:

Depending on the legend you go by, there those ghosts that haunt a specific person, and do not interact with anyone or anything else.

I don't remember her snubbing Jinta. She was rather distant, yes, but so was Jinta.

As for Anaru, she was angry at her. Some would say "unfairly", but as far as I'm concerned, it's "understandably".

I said that because of the way she treated Yukiatsu/Poppo (indifferent) compared to Anaru (love rival) / Jintan (unrequited love) :p

And yes, she did betray Yukiatsu, in a way. Though it's not like he told her he was crossdressing - he was using her as a cover so as to not appear creepy when buying female accessories and the like. But to come back to Tsuruko - I think her intentions were good. (And that, bottom line, she made the right choice.) Hilarious as Yukiatsu's activities were to us, they weren't healthy. They were hurting to himself and the rest of the Busters. And, more importantly to her, they're a symptom of his inability to move forward, which has to be confronted, too.

I don't doubt that humiliating her friend was done with best intentions for him, at least from her point of view; therefore the... what a bitch :heh:

That's no surprise, since we basically post what we did in the original thread in the last episode thread, and splitting posts between threads to remain OT... but yeah it's not bad or anything... yet (not too much scattered conversation), it's just that other shows could really use access to separate threads because their main ones are bloated with discussions on different topics.

when Iroha gets a cross dressing guy, then we'll talk... :p

Like kinbaku and yuri trio were not enough :eyespin:

So, are we gonna be rehashing this Ghost vs Just Trippin' Man for the next seven episode threads? :heh:

In light of new events each episode, I guess it's inevitable :rolleyes:

In that case... shipping wars?

Jinta x Anaru
Yukiatsu x Ghost Menma
Poppo x Tsuruko

:V

What about an eroge tier bad end...

Tsuruko follows after Misaki@Teizokurei (http://myanimelist.net/character/9004/Misaki_Saiki) footsteps (necromancer/domina)
Anaru advances from gyaru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyaru) to ganguro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro), contracting a fatal STD.
Yukiatsu believes he is Menama, but after being turned down by Jintan, tries to kill himself, only to be saved by Poppo, and in appreciation spend the rest of their life together... actually that would be a good end for fujoshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi_fandom#Fujoshi) :heh:
Menma eventually rages over Jintan being unable to fulfill her wish and graphically kills him.

Forsaken_Infinity
2011-05-08, 05:49
That was a great episode. Really awesome. I didn't give it a perfect score but that's only because I sincerely hope to see the show get even BETTER.

I thought it was obvious that it was Yukiatsu who was dressed up as Menma. I initially thought it was a call between Tsuruko and Yukiatsu but that scene in the shopping center in epi 3 where Yukiatsu bought all those girl stuff made it obvious. Not that it mattered since suspense wasn't what made the ordeal awesome. It was the whole atmosphere.

There were some great posts in this thread as well. Really nice to have a good deal of input from awesome folks all around. You guys are part of the experience. Banzai! I will try to reply to some of them.

About Memma, I think she'll turn out to be this series' big unanswered question. Is she a hallucination, or is she a real poltergeist? My bet is, the approach that will be taken is "who cares", and will focus on how the rest of the group finally deal with and get over that particular traumatic event together in the end.
Yep. Word. This is precisely how I think the show will deal with it and its all for the better really. Except, I don't think it's a "big" question at all. It's exactly like you put, "who cares?" That shouldn't stop us from speculating however :D

I think there were a couple of reasons Tsuruko "outed" Yukiatsu. Most obviously because she's holding a candle for him and this was a sort of intervention. But I also think for all her stern exterior she's a genuinely caring person. She likes Jinta and feels real sympathy for him, and she could see that for him the Menma-ghost thing was very real - and didn't like seeing Yukiatsu making a mockery of his feelings, be they illusory or not.
She is indeed a caring and mature person. HOWEVER, I don't think she outed Yukiatsu because he hurt Jintan's sincere feelings etc. I think she did it because she thought Jintan's case is similar to Yukiatsu, except, not as worse. She definitely did this because she thought this was in the best interest of both Jinta and Yukiatsu. I am not so sure she is deeply in love with Yukiatsu as most people are assuming although I am not writing off romantic interest either (especially considering this writer :uhoh:). An equally plausible, and for me, awesomer, explanation would be that she just happened to be closer to him (not uncommon, in groups of six people, subgroups are bound to be formed) and/or stuck with him because she knew just how much help the guy actually needed. I mean, Yukiatsu would have probably killed himself by now had she not been around him.

Funny enough, this show's biggest weakness is Memma. I gave this episode an 8/10 which is still very good, but I can't help but think they're overplaying the melodrama card with Memma.

[MIDDLE PART]Basically "Menma cries too much too quick" paraphrased 10 times :heh:[/MIDDLE PART]

Basically, my only problem with the show so far is the lack of subtlety in execution. The emotions will flow naturally without Memma dancing around on screen with tears in her eyes, they don't need to exaggerate it so much.

Anyhow, I think the final key to dispelling Memma will be Jintan's apology to Memma, and the removal of the guilty conscience of himself and his friends.
I vehemently disagree with your complaints about Menma. The entire premise of the show is that Menma is still childish and wishes to see her friends get back together. And from what the show has shown thus far, it's safe to assume that Menma was the most emotional of the bunch to begin with. I don't think it's farfetched or pushing the melodrama over the top for a girl to cry when one of her friends she deeply cares about twists her feelings and claims that she suggested those words. Besides, expressing your emotions openly is a GOOD thing. It's better than stuffing them in and turning into egotistical beasts or shut-ins or the like. Menma is superior to the rest of the cast - and respected / endeared by all of them - precisely because she is so upfront and frank. There is no exaggeration. Besides, we don't even know if she is real. For all we know, it could just be Jinta's perception of how Menma is and heck, from what they showed her as a kid, I find all the reason to believe Menma would actually break down into tears over her friends deciding to stop meeting etc. Especially when they had barely got back together and when the idea of stopping is put as coldly as Yukiatsu did.

Agreed with the last bit of your post though. And that is actually the weak part for me. I kinda wish they don't even bother clearing that up. The destination doesn't matter, the ride does. I don't really care how Menma disperses at the end so long as the group coming together entertains me as much as this episode did.

This ep didn't do much for me. Too weird to be interesting -- and I usually like weird. But I just didn't feel the characters.
One reason she is so great is that Hayami Saori is doing a fantastic job with her voice. Hayamin's work has grown tremendously in the past year.

She is doing a radio show (http://www.marine-e.net/sp/aoisaori/) right now with Yuuki Aoi. The preview episode revealed what a contrast they are: fast-talking ota-kid Ao-chan and elegant lady Hayamin. Two of my favorite seiyuus.

The fact that the radio show (http://www.marine-e.net/sp/aoisaori/) is not connected with any particular anime demonstrates that these two 19-year-olds are hitting the big time as seiyuu personalities. (The audio is at the bottom of the linked page. You can hear their personalities even if you can't understand Japanese.)
What precisely was weird? Yukiatsu? Sure, he has some problems, but people with such issues do exist. It was your personal feeling so I have nothing to say but I do think you'd enjoy it more on a rewatch perhaps?

Thanks for the link to the radio show. It's awesome haha.

Yep. It's about a bunch of friends that split over an unfortunate occurrence coming back together. Menma's nature is insignificant, so to speak.

The following quote is a good reply to this:
This show is kind of told from Jinta's PoV, so those "hints" could be purposefully misleading. Maybe Poppo just happened to feel a chill; maybe Tsuruko just suddenly got a shoulder pain; maybe Jinta made the bread himself all along. We don't know at this point.

Precisely. There is no reason to take those "feel the weight" scenes for real. The only scenes that would support the ghost hypothesis are the ones in Menma's house and the puppy scene that featured only her but it'd not be a far stretch to attribute even that to Jinta's imagination. And he doesn't really need to be schizophrenic either, a "let's imagine Menma comes back" works too. Or heck, he can simply be making it all up to get everyone back together. I know I have done something similar before o.0

Why is that? Because he can see Menma? Because he doesn't go to school? Because Anaru's tripping made him remember of unpleasant things in the past?

His mother and best friend passed away suddenly. You can't simply forget them and move on, even when five years have passed. He has every reason to mope around. He is trying his best now to come out of his shell (with a little help from Menma) and for that he should be applauded, not criticized.

Yukiatsu is an entirely dfferent matter. He can't let go of the past, not because he doesn't want to, but because his mind refuses to. To make things worse, he has a superiority complex. There may be other reasons behind it, such as his relationship with his parents, but it's clear that he has much, much bigger issues than Jinta.

Assuming Jinta isn't schizophrenic. I don't think they're going for that route though. I sense optimism rather than Fight Club-esque plot twists.
I like how you can sympathize with Jinta. But then why is it so wrong for Yukiatsu to be unable to let go of the past? He was clearly obsessed with Menma even as a kid. Way more than Jinta. Why is to so bad to have a mental condition? He is clearly in need of professional help. Actually, I think I might be misreading your post a bit. I initially thought you were implying Yukiatsu was a really horrible person by nature while Jinta wasn't but it seems that isn't the case. I agree with you if you are saying Yukiatsu has bigger issues than Jinta and much more in need of professional help. I think Yukiatsu's issues are more pressing even if Jinta does turn out to be schizophrenic although I pretty much expect the show to never explain what Menma exactly is.

What about an eroge tier bad end...
[LIST=1]
Tsuruko follows after Misaki@Teizokurei (http://myanimelist.net/character/9004/Misaki_Saiki) footsteps (necromancer/domina)
Anaru advances from gyaru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyaru) to ganguro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro), contracting a fatal STD.
Yukiatsu believes he is Menama, but after being turned down by Jintan, tries to kill himself, only to be saved by Poppo, and in appreciation spend the rest of their life together... actually that would be a good end for fujoshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi_fandom#Fujoshi) :heh:
Menma eventually rages over Jintan being unable to fulfill her wish and graphically kills him.

:heh: As much as I love eroges, let's not get there with this one :s

I love hearing that - one of my initial responses to the complainers was that sometimes the very act of getting a sub-forum draws more viewers (and posts) to a series.
But you can't deny that you also lose some people because the discussion gets split into several sections and that tires people out. I know I kind of dislike it and don't post unless something awesome happens. Besides, most of the show that actually have a sub-forum are so bad that I tend to just never look there. Heck, it took me a search up to third page of thread titles under current series to even assume AnoHana got a sub-forum >.>

risingstar3110
2011-05-08, 06:30
Well the storyline, the pace and the characters of this anime is nice and all. And surely i will follow to see what gonna happen...

However it's kind of frustrated at the level of how idiotic this main lead is. He has a ghost who not only can eat, but also can play game and make muffin cake. How can it be easier to check whether she's a real ghost or just his hallucination?

Even if Jintan can't tell her to make muffin in front of them or simply just hold a book up in the air. Then he can just use a set of card and ask Poppon to check it for him. If she's just his hallucination, then her knowledge or memory are limited by Jintan's knowledge. If she can't recognize what Jintan hasn't seen, then she can't be something more than a hallucination

Anh_Minh
2011-05-08, 07:02
I don't doubt that humiliating her friend was done with best intentions for him, at least from her point of view; therefore the... what a bitch :heh:

... Do you think it'd have been a kindness to let him continue his deception?

Now, she could have tried to confront him discreetly. But I don't think he'd have been very receptive. It'd just have driven him crazier. And now, if Yukiatsu turns violent, it'll be four against one. Including the much bigger Poppo.

And, though I don't think it entered her reasoning, Yukiatsu can't claim the moral high ground, there. He's been an ass to everyone on several levels.

CWW
2011-05-08, 08:27
I like how you can sympathize with Jinta. But then why is it so wrong for Yukiatsu to be unable to let go of the past? He was clearly obsessed with Menma even as a kid. Way more than Jinta. Why is to so bad to have a mental condition? He is clearly in need of professional help. Actually, I think I might be misreading your post a bit. I initially thought you were implying Yukiatsu was a really horrible person by nature while Jinta wasn't but it seems that isn't the case. I agree with you if you are saying Yukiatsu has bigger issues than Jinta and much more in need of professional help. I think Yukiatsu's issues are more pressing even if Jinta does turn out to be schizophrenic although I pretty much expect the show to never explain what Menma exactly is.
The reason I can symphathize with Jinta is that he genuinely wants to make amends for his outburst that day, even though it's not at all his fault that Menma died. He probably outgrew Nokemon years ago, but he still paid an apparently exorbitant price for a "children's" game (it's likely he threw away the game some time after Menma's death), in front of an acquaintance no less, just to possibly maybe make Menma's wish (which he thinks is a figment of his imagination) come true. In this episode, he showed the fail muffins to defend Menma, risking being judged by others. The story has so far been set up to symphathize with him. Anaru has a similar position as she too has regrets.

Yukiatsu though, there aren't any given so far. He liked Menma and hated Jinta, but nothing more is given why he's like this. He may be a horrible person by nature, he may not be, it's unclear at this point what drove him to be this way and what his current intentions are. There are hints that his conversations with Jinta are reflections on himself, but it's pretty vague at this point. That's why I find it surprising that people can take pity on him when nothing is as of yet known, yet criticize Jinta for acting the way he's done, or even compare the two. Like has been mentioned before, it's not the focal point of the story to prove whether Menma is 'real' or not. Better yet, it adds a bit of mystery.

It's like Natsume or his grandmother Reiko in Natsume Yuujinchou. Sure, he can prove people he has a talking cat that can transform into a giant cat spirit, but would it benefit the story? Of course not.

kitten320
2011-05-08, 14:01
Wow... so it was Yukiatsu after all? He sure needs a mental help...
Tsuruko became more interesting for me and she really must like the guy in order to always hang around with him despite knowing/suspecting the weird truth.

Yukiatsu is a freak but I do hope that he will get over his obsession and will pay more attention to Tsuruko who geniuely cares about him.

darkmanure
2011-05-08, 14:03
I'll defend Menma's constant crying. Jinta did say Menma was a huge crybaby in the past and she died young and kept the young personality. Of course she is going to cry at lot when she has a personality of a 9-10 year old.

Expect more crying.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-08, 14:08
Wow... so it was Yukiatsu after all? He sure needs a mental help...
Tsuruko became more interesting for me and she really must like the guy in order to always hang around with him despite knowing/suspecting the weird truth.

She had no little reason to suspect he was crossdressing until a fake Menma appeared.

Maybe she thought he had a weird shrine to Menma or something... She sure as hell didn't think he had a secret girlfriend somewhere.

kitten320
2011-05-08, 14:14
^She still knows, the idea did not cross anyones else mind. And she actually was very confident about this so she must have known about lot of weird things about him.

She knows him so well to the point of knowing that when he was shouting at Jinta for being pathetic, that he actuallly was mad at himself.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-08, 14:58
^She still knows, the idea did not cross anyones else mind. And she actually was very confident about this so she must have known about lot of weird things about him.
She knew he was buying lots of female stuff. I don't think she got the idea of him crossdressing until after there was a "Menma" to explain away.

She knows him so well to the point of knowing that when he was shouting at Jinta for being pathetic, that he actuallly was mad at himself.
She knows Yukiatsu's been unable to forget Menma and move on. She established that early. From there, it's not hard to interpret his rant at Jinta as a pot calling the kettle black.

Rhyel
2011-05-08, 16:29
Mario and Luigi Menma. LOL

Cream
2011-05-08, 17:04
Lets start out by saying Yukiatsu is pathetic .
I'm sure everyone agrees about that , i dont like his character. Of course , i knew he'd be the main source of drama . But hes a good add-on to the series.

I'm relatively sure that Menma's wish is for them to be happy even without her , that the erm... super peace busters(? , might have that wrong) will once protect peace (and what-not). But the way Yukiatsu is acting , thats kinda out of the question. It'd be hard to forgive that type of scene/act that he put on . Hes an outright(word?) douche bag.

I feel pretty close to the characters(mainly Jintan) already , which is extremely surprising to me.
I have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a good series , especially if they have me this interested in it lol.

I do believe that at some point others will actually see Menma as Jintan does.
I do see Yukiatsu being forgiven because Menma wants Jintan to forgive him.
I do see Yukiatsu still being portrayed as super-pathetic.
I don't see Jintan loving/liking Menma the current state she is in.

But, i do hope he can move on from such a tragic event and proceed to have some romantic connection with Anjou :/
Shes a fantastic character. Her actions and involvement in the series is definitely the boost of 'slice of life' that is needed in most anime .

(Just noticed this is sort of an overview of the 1-4 episodes , sorry.)
10/10 for Episode 4 .

Irenicus
2011-05-08, 17:22
Ano Hi Mita Yukiatsu no Himitsu wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shinjirarenai!!

[/episode]

I'm still in awe of how good this series is.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-08, 17:41
Lets start out by saying Yukiatsu is pathetic .
I'm sure everyone agrees about that , i dont like his character. Of course , i knew he'd be the main source of drama . But hes a good add-on to the series.

I'm relatively sure that Menma's wish is for them to be happy even without her , that the erm... super peace busters(? , might have that wrong) will once protect peace (and what-not). But the way Yukiatsu is acting , thats kinda out of the question. It'd be hard to forgive that type of scene/act that he put on . Hes an outright(word?) douche bag.
Nothing a punch in the face can't solve.

More seriously, Jinta of all people knows what it's like to be acting douchey because you're hurting. And all the others are pretty forgiving to start with. (Except maybe Poppo. He's rather easy-going, but we've never seen him angry to start with, so we can't say for sure if he's forgiving. Maybe it won't matter because he still won't be angry.)

So, no, forgiveness won't be much of an issue. But before that, getting Yukiatsu to stop acting like an ass, though? That might take some doing.

TurkeyPotPie
2011-05-08, 18:12
Damn, so it was Yukiatsu. I didn't expect that be revealed so quickly. As much of an ass as he has been so far, I really want to see what is done with his character. Definitely running neck and neck with Jinta for most damaged by Menma's death.

Archon_Wing
2011-05-08, 22:01
LOL OWNED. Yea, I didn't think a grown man could pass for a loli very well either. :heh:

Tsurikko got some brownie points this episode for going several consecutive minutes without insulting people, and I have to find her deadpan tone "Your fly is open" to be hillarious. She also delivered some hillarious ownage when she outed the whole thing.

So the guy that ends up talking the most trash is the one that broke down the fastest. Well, everyone is insecure in their own ways, and frequently lies to themselves or others. But Yukkiatsu is the one running the biggest lie. But hey, if the myth of Menma can bring everyone back together is it really so bad?

Now, I really can't tell who's crazy anymore. :p

And Jintan, if you're not going back to school, you could at least get a haircut. Or do something else. But it's ok, maybe they all can push him out into the open once... slowly.

Rating: -0.5 points for showing Atsumu in all his glory, no matter how much he shaves. 9/10

Malkuth
2011-05-08, 22:05
... Do you think it'd have been a kindness to let him continue his deception?

Now, she could have tried to confront him discreetly. But I don't think he'd have been very receptive. It'd just have driven him crazier. And now, if Yukiatsu turns violent, it'll be four against one. Including the much bigger Poppo.

And, though I don't think it entered her reasoning, Yukiatsu can't claim the moral high ground, there. He's been an ass to everyone on several levels.

That basically, but I agree that Yukiatsu wouldn't have cared, and probably this was the only course left, assuming that intervening in ones life so blatantly is acceptible... then again Yukiatsu was just asking for it... at least save your legs :heh:

weaponX
2011-05-08, 22:30
not a bad episode, and double bonus for exposing Yukiatsu's a*#$%@* trick.

Haak
2011-05-09, 07:52
I wonder how they can actually get Yukiatsu to stop being an ass and still be good friends. I mean even if he does start hanging out with them that is really just gonna haunt him forever. It's going to constantly weigh at the back of his mind so long as he's with them. Who could seriously deal with that on a daily basis? Really I think revealing Yukiatsu's douchebaggery like this has only created a bigger barrier for true friendship. Hopefully sometime in the future he could look back and laugh at the whole thing.

ipodi
2011-05-09, 12:35
Getting the whole group to unmask Yukiatsu's obsession is one hell of an intervention. Good job.

achirist
2011-05-09, 18:27
I think Yukiatsu is really interesting, and I rather admire his ingenuity in creating his own 'ghost of Menma' to strike out at Jintan for his past resentments. He earns extra points for having no problem dressing up as a girl to carry out his plot--too bad it didn't go further. Clearly Yukiatsu liked Menma and she meant a lot more to him in the past, so it greatly annoyed him that Jintan, the person who he perhaps blames for her death was claiming that Menma came to him. She should have come to Yukiatsu instead.

DragoZERO
2011-05-09, 20:11
Getting the whole group to unmask Yukiatsu's obsession is one hell of an intervention. Good job.
Intervention! That's exactly what he needs. Oh man, great word choice. :heh:

Deconstructor
2011-05-10, 01:44
Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.

Still, the problem I noted in my original crack speculation post outlining why Yukiatsu is Menma still holds... wouldn't Menma's old sundress be too small for Yukiatsu to wear? Seeing as he has a perfect wig of Menma's hair, I guess it wouldn't be going too far to assume he's also tailored the sundress to fit his size. Still very, very creepy to think about Yukiatsu; Freud would have a field day with him. Crafty Tsuruko knew Yukiatsu was Menma all along. I wonder if her feelings for Yukiatsu still remain as well, or if she's gotten over him... probably better for her not to be interested in a cross-dressing clown. Expand Jinta's harem further!

Meh. I'm not sure what to say about episode 4. Overall, I think it's better than the first half of episode 1, but lacks the emotional impact I was hoping for. The story compensates for this by re-developing the bonds between Tsuruko, Jinta, and Anaru. I certainly didn't expect Tsuruko to visit Jinta, but I'm enjoying how each of the Super Peace Busters (ignoring Poppo) has a unique relationship with one another.

Episode 4 Rating: 8.5/10

cyth
2011-05-10, 05:25
Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to be the first not to give Yukiatsu a hard time for his thing. Why exactly is he pathetic and Jinta isn't? Or Anaru, or Tsuruko, or Poppo for that matter?

Yukiatsu can't let go of Menma, so he develops crossdressing tendencies to affirm his self-image of being a pathetic loser. Jintan shuts himself in, becomes this chuunibyou character who thinks his school and society at large are no better than the zoo. Anaru distances herself from the life she had by drowning herself in mindless subculture, Tsuruko constantly embarrasses Yukiatsu for having feelings for Menma before her, so she's forced to hate her, thus can't forget her either. And Poppo... Poppo has been running away all this time, to different countries, for fuck's sake.

If Yukiatsu is such a pathetic guy, then I say the whole lot of them are the same. This show is about moving on, so I believe all of them will phase out of their pathetic states eventually. I'm pretty sure Yukiatsu's condition isn't so serious to call it a mental condition, and I see this revelation as an opportunity for reconciliation.

MeoTwister5
2011-05-10, 06:23
Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to be the first not to give Yukiatsu a hard time for his thing. Why exactly is he pathetic and Jinta isn't? Or Anaru, or Tsuruko, or Poppo for that matter?

Yukiatsu can't let go of Menma, so he develops crossdressing tendencies to affirm his self-image of being a pathetic loser. Jintan shuts himself in, becomes this chuunibyou character who thinks his school and society at large are no better than the zoo. Anaru distances herself from the life she had by drowning herself in mindless subculture, Tsuruko constantly embarrasses Yukiatsu for having feelings for Menma before her, so she's forced to hate her, thus can't forget her either. And Poppo... Poppo has been running away all this time, to different countries, for fuck's sake.

If Yukiatsu is such a pathetic guy, then I say the whole lot of them are the same. This show is about moving on, so I believe all of them will phase out of their pathetic states eventually. I'm pretty sure Yukiatsu's condition isn't so serious to call it a mental condition, and I see this revelation as an opportunity for reconciliation.

The thing is, while a lot of the others are only steps away at reaching the same point in their own psychological collapse, Yukiatsu is being a self righteous hypocrite, which suggests he is fully aware of what he is doing and not necessarily having an unconscious fallback to his problems. It would be a different thing if he wasn't so self-assured on his high horse towards Jinta in particular, but it's hard not to be pissed off at a character who claims to be a different creature than the rest when he himself seems to be the one who has fallen the lowest and damn near proud of it.

Haak
2011-05-10, 07:11
It's not just the hypocrisy, it's the fact that he's clearly messing with the others aswell. If your friend died and you were still upset about it you'd be pissed too if your so-called friend decided to dress up like her and make you think there's a ghost of her.

cyth
2011-05-10, 07:27
I agree from that point of view, but the perversion itself shouldn't be frowned upon considering.

Kanon
2011-05-10, 08:56
I agree from that point of view, but the perversion itself shouldn't be frowned upon considering.

I can't speak for everybody of course, it seems to me most of us find him pathetic because of his douchey attitude, not his cross-dressing tendencies. The reason I found the final scene so hilarious was due to the "just as planned" face he displayed right before being discovered.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure whether to think of him as being pahtetic or pitiful just yet. That will largely depend on his initial reason for crossdressing. Although I don't think that's the case, one could think he only started crossdressing recently to screw with Jinta, in which case that just makes him a pathetic asshole.

Tsuyoshi
2011-05-10, 09:24
I can't speak for everybody of course, it seems to me most of us find him pathetic because of his douchey attitude, not his cross-dressing tendencies. The reason I found the final scene so hilarious was due to the "just as planned" face he displayed right before being discovered.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure whether to think of him as being pahtetic or pitiful just yet. That will largely depend on his initial reason for crossdressing. Although I don't think that's the case, one could think he only started crossdressing recently to screw with Jinta, in which case that just makes him a pathetic asshole.

Well, he was buying the blue ribbon before he even knew Jinta was seeing Menma, so it may well be something else.

spawnofthejudge
2011-05-10, 09:41
Seems to me that he already had the means to do the cross-dressing thing, and he just decided to use it to screw with Jinta, and actually have the upper hand on him for once.

Vindictive and spiteful thing to do. I don't like him much. But I can see why he probably decided to do it.

Knightrunner
2011-05-10, 11:42
Seems to me that he already had the means to do the cross-dressing thing, and he just decided to use it to screw with Jinta, and actually have the upper hand on him for once.

Vindictive and spiteful thing to do. I don't like him much. But I can see why he probably decided to do it.

That would seem really huge to do to spite Jinta :uhoh:

spawnofthejudge
2011-05-10, 11:50
That would seem really huge to do to spite Jinta :uhoh:It's part of his hangups (having the ability to, and probably doing so in private, cross-dress as his dead friend being another one). And it's pretty clear that having everyone back together is going to cause everyone's hang ups to come out. Yukiatsu's are coming out first because he seems to have the most, or at least, the most on the surface.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-10, 15:01
Well, he was buying the blue ribbon before he even knew Jinta was seeing Menma, so it may well be something else.
Thinking about it, he had the stuff before Menma's ghost appeared. Including a dress he could wear. (Which is actually less creepy than him burgling an actual dress of the late Menma's, so, hm, things are looking up?)

As has been said, the problem isn't the crossdressing. It isn't even, really, him disguising as a dead friend. The problem is him going out of his way to hurt and deceive his friends just so he can get an ego boost.

And it's hard to say if Poppo has problems. He might be the one who has his life together the most. He certainly seems happy. He travels a lot, which is something a lot of people dream of doing, but never get around to actually do. Instead they choose to finish high school, maybe college, and then get a job they hate but which pay the bills.

Sure, twenty years down the line, if (when?) he's a penniless vagrant in a country whose language he barely understands, he may come to regret his choice. But it's not like the 9-to-5ers are immune to such bad turns, either.

Triple_R
2011-05-10, 15:51
This is an aside, but as it pertains to Poppo, the guy must be pretty well-to-do to simply afford to go traveling all over the world like that (either that, or he's already working for a shipping company).

If Poppo's family is somewhat wealthy, I wouldn't worry too much about him, or assume that he's traveling around the world just to get away from the memory of Menma.

Of the entire cast, Poppo strikes me as the happiest and most at peace with himself and his old friends actually.

Haak
2011-05-10, 15:53
Yeah I think Poppo is actually okay too. His choice of lifestyle may seem a bit odd but that doesn't mean it's a problem.

cyth
2011-05-10, 15:59
I'd argue he's only blissfully ignorant of his deep-rooted emotional problem considering his lack of wit, but being a travel otaku (which he is, they take high pay part-time jobs and travel at every opportunity) at such a young age is certainly an expression of something. Given the context of the story, I wouldn't say it's far-fetched to think Menma or the breakup of Super Peace Busters is the cause of it.

As has been said, the problem isn't the crossdressing. It isn't even, really, him disguising as a dead friend. The problem is him going out of his way to hurt and deceive his friends just so he can get an ego boost.Ego-boosting isn't the crux of his problem, he just can't help himself. I believe he's cyclically destroying his self-image by thinking he's pathetic. The cross-dressing is a way for him to do that. In other words, his self-worth is so low that he *needs* to put others down, with denial being the main instigator of his dickish public facade.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-10, 16:24
This is an aside, but as it pertains to Poppo, the guy must be pretty well-to-do to simply afford to go traveling all over the world like that (either that, or he's already working for a shipping company).

If Poppo's family is somewhat wealthy, I wouldn't worry too much about him, or assume that he's traveling around the world just to get away from the memory of Menma.

Of the entire cast, Poppo strikes me as the happiest and most at peace with himself and his old friends actually.
Poppo mentioned he took small odd jobs to pay for his expenses. And he apparently save on rent by living in abandoned buildings...

No mention is made of his parents, and I've wondered about that - if he's a local, shouldn't he live with them when he's in the area? And, uh, didn't they have anything to say about his lifestyle?

I'd argue he's only blissfully ignorant of his deep-rooted emotional problem considering his lack of wit, but being a travel otaku (which he is, they take high pay part-time jobs and travel at every opportunity) at such a young age is certainly an expression of something. Given the context of the story, I wouldn't say it's far-fetched to think Menma or the breakup of Super Peace Busters is the cause of it.

He's happy. Of all the peace busters, he's the only one who's never surly. Why assume it's a problem?

cyth
2011-05-10, 16:42
He's happy. Of all the peace busters, he's the only one who's never surly. Why assume it's a problem?I actually have a cousin just like Poppo. She has some real issues with home despite her cheerful appearance, so she basically runs away to the U.S. (across the Atlantic) at every opportunity she gets. I'm not saying Poppo is the same, but I don't see why he should be the exception in this story. Menma is filling the role of the personality that hasn't changed in this story, not him.

achirist
2011-05-10, 18:04

I agree, they all have unresolved problems that have lead them to this current moment in their lives. Yukiatsu isn't really worse. The fact that Poppo became obese in his adolescent years shows that he turned to food to deal with his own emotional problems.

wandering-dreamer
2011-05-10, 18:19

The basic synopsis for the series on ANN says something along the lines of that Poppo skipped high school to travel the world, with the implication that the break-up of the Super Peace Busters made him want to leave and get away. He and Tsuruko seem to be most well adjusted out of the bunch but, since the whole theme of the show centers around how this one event has really changed all of them for the worse, they've got to have at least small problems as well.

Tsuyukusa
2011-05-10, 18:38

I don't think he was doing it to screw with Jinta, or anyone else. He was running around dressed as Menma when Jinta wasn't even around, the first person who saw him was Poppo.
He deals with his feelings by being an insensitive asshole, but I don't think the cross dressing is part of that persona.

CWW
2011-05-10, 19:38
The fact that Poppo became obese in his adolescent years shows that he turned to food to deal with his own emotional problems.
Wow, really?

pseudonhym
2011-05-10, 20:29
excellent episode. really funny cause I expected something like that from yukiatsu. loves the jin-tan/annaru scene <3

ipodi
2011-05-10, 23:39
The fact that Poppo became obese in his adolescent years shows that he turned to food to deal with his own emotional problems.

Poppo is hardly obese.

This is obese. (http://tinfoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Fat-Albert.jpg)

Deconstructor
2011-05-11, 01:09

The only foreseeable problem for Poppo is indigestion. Yeah, I went there. :heh:

Menma's death was a loss shared by everyone; everyone has different ways of dealing with tragedy. Jinta became a shut-in, Poppo traveled the world, Anaru hung out with other friends, Tsuruko devoted herself to studying, and Yukiatsu... well, we've torn his sundress apart enough already. Poor fellow.

Perhaps Poppo decided to run away from his past, just like everyone else. Or perhaps he was the only one who stayed, and everyone else ran away from him. Poppo is the only one still residing in the Super Peace Busters shack, after all. Either way, this must have taken an emotional impact on Poppo that the viewers have yet to see or hear.

Surely, everyone still has their own problems. With Menma, Anaru, and Yukiatsu's problems essentially out of the way, I believe the show will focus on Tsuruko and Poppo.

Frailty
2011-05-11, 06:22
Menma became a shut-in

you meant Jintan :heh:

lahfielxi
2011-05-11, 06:33
When you see a ghost, everything you see is the ghost's doing; when others can't see it, all they see are accidents, or even just natural phenomenons really. We, the audience, are put in the PoV of former case. As I said though, it doesn't really matter whether she's a hallucination or a ghost. But I just can't buy that happy ending you described; I know it sounds good, but I will be both rationally and emotionally disappointed if the story does end with everyone living happily ever after with a ghost and then medetashi medetashi. :heh:

Precisely. There is no reason to take those "feel the weight" scenes for real. The only scenes that would support the ghost hypothesis are the ones in Menma's house and the puppy scene that featured only her but it'd not be a far stretch to attribute even that to Jinta's imagination. And he doesn't really need to be schizophrenic either, a "let's imagine Menma comes back" works too. Or heck, he can simply be making it all up to get everyone back together. I know I have done something similar before o.0

if it's told from Jinta's PoV he must have an active imagination with all the scenes he's not in. imagining interactions with his grown up/dead old friends throughout the entire day.

he must also be psychic if his hallucination is acting in real-time with other people.

i get the feeling some people just like to be contrary so they can go "HA! i wasn't fooled into thinking it was a ghost at all!" and on that same train of thought the creators would only have it pan out that way simply to mess with people Shyamalan style and go what a tweeeeest.

Tsuyoshi
2011-05-11, 09:16

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/thumbs/13-are-you-serious-face.jpg

If Poppo was obese, he wouldn't have been able to travel all around the world so easily. If anything, food became a way for him to deal with personal problems in that he turned to cooking. Consider how he knew an indian recipe which turned out to be quite good. I'd say he found a good way to escape from his trauma, unlike everyone else, and he seems quite the happy person too.

Deconstructor
2011-05-11, 15:36
I don't think he was doing it to screw with Jinta, or anyone else. He was running around dressed as Menma when Jinta wasn't even around, the first person who saw him was Poppo.
He deals with his feelings by being an insensitive asshole, but I don't think the cross dressing is part of that persona.

Indeed, Yukiatsu was probably crossdressing far before his reunion with Jinta. He seems to be dealing with her death by wearing her clothes and running around the Super Peace Busters shack. And yet on the surface, Yukiatsu is extremely cold to Jinta. Yukiatsu... needs serious help.

you meant Jintan :heh:

...Perhaps I did. Perhaps. :eyebrow:

If Poppo was obese, he wouldn't have been able to travel all around the world so easily. If anything, food became a way for him to deal with personal problems in that he turned to cooking. Consider how he knew an Indian recipe which turned out to be quite good. I'd say he found a good way to escape from his trauma, unlike everyone else, and he seems quite the happy person too.

A good way, or simply a better one in comparison to Jinta and Yukiatsu?

Poppo's exuberance and optimism is superhuman. The feeling of sadness does not seem to exist within his world. So are the viewers to believe Poppo has always so happy-go-lucky, even after the Super Peace Busters broke apart? No. There is still a piece of everyone's past missing - their lives immediately following Menma's death. In Poppo's case, something or someone must have inspired him to travel across the world.

achirist
2011-05-11, 18:01
Poppo is hardly obese.

This is obese. (http://tinfoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Fat-Albert.jpg)

Hah... I disagree about Poppo, though; he does appear to have a BMI in the overweight-obese range. Such people can easily travel around the world, but their life is still stymied and limited by their physical condition. People can put on a happy face for the world to hide their emotional pain and physical illness deep inside.

erneiz_hyde
2011-05-11, 18:27
I'm guessing Menma's actually a Schrodinger Cat.

She's portrayed to be able to affect reality, but it was all from Jinta's perspective and all of the things she affected can be explained by other things aside from being caused by Menma. And I think Jinta subconsciously knows this.

Knightrunner
2011-05-11, 18:54
I'm guessing Menma's actually a Schrodinger Cat.

She's portrayed to be able to affect reality, but it was all from Jinta's perspective and all of the things she affected can be explained by other things aside from being caused by Menma. And I think Jinta subconsciously knows this.

I'm not sure about that. I can't say it is all Jinta's perspective because it showed scenes that does not target Jinta directly such as

knocking her brother's cup to the floor
the dog seeing her
just wondering around the city in general

Tsuyukusa
2011-05-11, 23:23
I'm not sure about that. I can't say it is all Jinta's perspective because it showed scenes that does not target Jinta directly such as

knocking her brother's cup to the floor
the dog seeing her
just wondering around the city in general

Yeah, the only thing that makes me think Menma isn't in Jintan's head is when they are shown to be in two distinctly different locations. Menma wandering into her old home for example; Jintan's physical body would have been noticed if he did that.

Solace
2011-05-12, 01:59
Poppo's exuberance and optimism is superhuman. The feeling of sadness does not seem to exist within his world. So are the viewers to believe Poppo has always so happy-go-lucky, even after the Super Peace Busters broke apart? No. There is still a piece of everyone's past missing - their lives immediately following Menma's death. In Poppo's case, something or someone must have inspired him to travel across the world.

Personally I think a big reason he started traveling was because of Menma. He's like the reverse of Yukiatsu, but they both share a form of escapism. Yukiatsu became colder and repressed everything, but he couldn't hold it all in and cross dressing became his outlet. Poppo is more extroverted but traveling and doing odd jobs keeps him from dwelling on things too much.

I wouldn't really call Poppo obese btw, he's active and strong. He's just a naturally large person. It's kind of funny though, that he was such a small child and now he towers over everyone. :heh:

cyth
2011-05-12, 03:00
Guys, let's be honest here, the kid is fat. But enough about Poppo. Apart from the possibility of the divine or supernatural, Menma's "ghost" is in one way or another an aggregate of memories about Menma. Instead of thinking she's merely Jinta's hallucination, we can widen that perspective and think of her as a memory that's still pressing everyone's minds. Perhaps her brother was distracted thinking about her so much that he knocked over that glass, his dog as well, perhaps the town as a whole hasn't forgotten her, so they portrayed her walking around the town. It's a nice way of saying nobody really forgets people that have passed away.

BetoJR
2011-05-12, 08:14
I mean, you guys... What's so wrong about being a little fat? Honestly, it seems like we're paragons of health, one and all. :heh:

ednaeleva
2011-05-12, 09:22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_%282004_film%29

There is an american film based on this one with the same title.

In Mexico there's some kind of mith about dead people lying above a sleeping person.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-12, 14:01
I mean, you guys... What's so wrong about being a little fat? Honestly, it seems like we're paragons of health, one and all. :heh:

Realistically speaking, Poppo's more than a little fat. Then again, it's a cartoon. Wouldn't it be hard for someone to be only slightly overweight? He's certainly not as big as the comically obese characters who're actually supposed to have weight problems.

Poppo's weight doesn't really worry me. He seems pretty active, and looks like he has a lot of muscle underneath the fat layer (notice how he outran everyone at first, and how Anaru was the first to get exhausted? How come, by the way? Does she smoke or something?).

BetoJR
2011-05-12, 14:55
Maybe she's just not athletic? There are people like that. :D
And you did bring up the most valid point: Poppo doesn't behave like a fat slob, who should be oh so preoccupied with his weight problem, so why do people want to label him as such?

Knightrunner
2011-05-12, 15:02
Realistically speaking, Poppo's more than a little fat. Then again, it's a cartoon. Wouldn't it be hard for someone to be only slightly overweight? He's certainly not as big as the comically obese characters who're actually supposed to have weight problems.

Poppo's weight doesn't really worry me. He seems pretty active, and looks like he has a lot of muscle underneath the fat layer (notice how he outran everyone at first, and how Anaru was the first to get exhausted? How come, by the way? Does she smoke or something?).

Good Point. Poppo is just a huge guy. He has no characteristics of being a slob. He seems like he moves around way more compared to the other characters with his excitment and joy.

Anaru: Ehhh. She is just out of shape. If you haven't done any cardio at all people will get tired after the first 100 yards or less.

Anh_Minh
2011-05-12, 15:13
Yeah, but the others weren't even winded. Not even Jintan, who's supposed to be a hikkikomori.

Deconstructor
2011-05-12, 15:50
Apart from the possibility of the divine or supernatural, Menma's "ghost" is in one way or another an aggregate of memories about Menma. Instead of thinking she's merely Jinta's hallucination, we can widen that perspective and think of her as a memory that's still pressing everyone's minds. Perhaps her brother was distracted thinking about her so much that he knocked over that glass, his dog as well, perhaps the town as a whole hasn't forgotten her, so they portrayed her walking around the town. It's a nice way of saying nobody really forgets people that have passed away.

Good imagination at work. But the viewers clearly see Menma smacking the glass off the table; if her brother had merely shaken the table, the glass would have fallen closer to the table, if not simply tipping over and falling. And how would you explain Menma opening the door?

And really, does where Menma come from really make a difference? The show seems to focus less on how she got here, and more on how Jinta can find a way to make her disappear Jinta can give her soul peace.

Anaru and her friends hang out at WcDonalds often. Go there, and you too will realize the negative effects of cheeseburgers and milkshakes.

By which I mean there are no negative effects. Anime characters only get fatter for comical purposes; the amount of food they eat has no relation to their size or stamina. Unless the anime is using Anaru's unhealthy diet as a plot point, in which case the terrible repercussions of eating WcDonalds every day will be overplayed to criticize the impact of junk food in our society.

Or maybe Anaru is addicted to smoking. Eh, let's wait for episode 5 before imagining any more of her life problems.

From a physics perspective, Poppo is larger in mass. Going by Newton's Second Law (a = F/m), Poppo needs a larger force to reach the same acceleration as a smaller person. However, he requires less work to sustain the acceleration over the same distance (F = W/d, ignoring the dot product). Anaru, being less massive, requires more work to move.

~Yami~
2011-05-17, 09:37
ewww... that's a really creepy trap.... I hate Yukiatsu so much

somehow, I really love a scene between Jintan and Anaru.... hope I can find more in the upcoming episode
Tsuruko also really kind in this episode.... I even forget that she still has a bad relation with Anaru

awkwardanimals
2011-06-18, 21:00
I actually started crying for some reason when I found out it was Yukiatsu crossdressing as Menma. That made me so sad...he clearly has some like...repressed issues. I felt really bad...