PDA

View Full Version : AnoHana - Spoilers & Speculation

Hunter
2011-05-04, 05:10
The purpose of this thread is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation of the AnoHana anime series, but be warned since it may contain unmarked spoilers. Having a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads.

Acceptable post topics
Personal theories, speculation, guesses and such. No spoiler tags required.
Posting magazine previews (such as from Animage). Spoiler tags required.
Any form of spoiler from the AnoHana light novel or manga. Clearly marked Spoiler tags required.

Spoiler Policy

Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
to locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Deconstructor
2011-05-05, 00:42
Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.

Sageblink
2011-05-05, 07:49
Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.

Well that not impossible. Though I'm more thinking he's upset about Jintan claiming to be able to see Menma, so he just claimed he could as well...

BetoJR
2011-05-05, 08:16
I'm inclined to agree with you, Sageblink. He seems oddly competitive...

Pellissier
2011-05-05, 09:20
so he just claimed he could as well...
Not only he claimed that, but also said he saw her just a few moments before, right there beyond the bushes.
Someone said he did this to get the others away and stay alone with Jinta (for a confrontation of sort?), however Tsuruko doesn't move. The persons who went looking for Menma are... Menma, Anaru an Poppo.

Anyway I'm more for the red herring option, do not trust the very blatant hints because they may be there just to confuse you.

frubam
2011-05-05, 09:49
Anyway I'm more for the red herring option, do not trust the very blatant hints because they may be there just to confuse you.

That is one of the reasons why I initially thought Menma was just a figment of Jinta's imagination. That whole Anaru-feeling-weight in ep 1 just screamed itself as a 'diversion' tactic to make you think Menma had some level of presence. Despite the solid counter-arguments, I still feel that Menma is imaginary and that Jinta has, as someone eloquently put it, "Fight Club syndrome".

Certainly, Poppo turning his head at JUST the right time in ep 2 so Menma could "eat" the meat was also too much of a coincidence. I can only imagine Jinta imagining that she 'ate' the meat.

BetoJR
2011-05-05, 10:14
What about the glass that she accidentally dropped to the floor, when she went to visit her own family? Would that have been Jinta, as well?

Westlo
2011-05-05, 10:16
There's been way too many scenes of Menma being away from Jinta and being around other people for this to be a Fight Club type thing. And obviously Menma isn't Jinta imaging himself to be her in those situations either...

james0246
2011-05-05, 10:36
There's been way too many scenes of Menma being away from Jinta and being around other people for this to be a Fight Club type thing. And obviously Menma isn't Jinta imaging himself to be her in those situations either...

Sad but true. I would certainly prefer if Menma was more likely a figment of a deeper psychosis for Jintan, but there are too many scenes of Menma separated from Jinta to really validate the theory. That is not to say that I strictly support the ghost theory (I'm hoping Jintan's the next stage of human evolution, and Menma is a thought construct of his that he can project to interact with the world...:); or maybe she is simply the spirit of the group’s friendship; etc), but that is the more likely theory currently. Hopefully we will learn more about Menma's death, and consequently more about the possibility of her being a ghost, in Episode 4.

BetoJR
2011-05-05, 10:39
Why would it be so bad if Menma was actually a ghost? Would it automatically detract from the enjoyment of the story (and therefore, the show), for some people? No, really, I honestly want to know.

Sageblink
2011-05-05, 10:48
Why would it be so bad if Menma was actually a ghost? Would it automatically detract from the enjoyment of the story (and therefore, the show), for some people? No, really, I honestly want to know.

To me, if she isn't Menma/her spirit, i'll be disappointed. :p

james0246
2011-05-05, 11:12

It's the difference between Jintan seeking to "cure" his "trauma" by literally forcing himself to change (by constructing a mental projection that can help him to realize and change his own faults), or Jintan being forced to change by outside help/interference (in this case, supernatural help). Both options are acceptable and interesting stories (with different themes and ideas), but Jintan seeking his own "cure" is certainly more dramatic (and potentially more interesting), than receiving help from an outside (supernatural) source. In the end, the results maybe the same, but the journey is very different.

(Then again, maybe my love for such films as Truly, Madly, Deeply is making my opinion slightly biased :).)

Pellissier
2011-05-05, 11:25
Well, as far as I'm concerned the red herring theory is only for Yukiatsu for now, ie I'm cautious before buying the many hints provided, I'd rather lean towards Tsuruko for that matter.

About Menma, I've seen enough that convinces me she's not just Jinta's imagination (specific scenes have been mentioned above). A theory about Menma I posted in the main thread was that she might be some kind of poltergeist, a ghost of a person who died with an unfulfilled wish. For this reason the spirit comes back into the world of the livings, and will leave once and only once his/her wish will be fulfilled.

BetoJR
2011-05-05, 11:32
(Then again, maybe my love for such films as Truly, Madly, Deeply is making my opinion slightly biased :).)
It could be that. :D

However, I seem to remember that movie being rather "up-to-the-viewer" in terms of the interpretation of events, no?

And Alan Rickman is always a winning recipe for me.

james0246
2011-05-05, 23:20
However, I seem to remember that movie being rather "up-to-the-viewer" in terms of the interpretation of events, no?

Exactly. I would have simply preferred the mystery...unless this is intentional on the part of the creator for something more grandiose later in the series.

And Alan Rickman is always a winning recipe for me.

Here Here :).

winkel
2011-05-07, 20:55
I'll just ask the most obvious question:

Why won't Jinta just prove Menma's (ethereal) existence? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to solve everything? Have her bake those muffins right in front of everyone.

I think the reason might be because we're going to be twisted at the end, and Jinta really was doing everything himself and Menma was a delusion all along.

darkmanure
2011-05-08, 14:05
That'll make everything boring and it's still very early. The drama would nosedive if that happened.

Shadow5YA
2011-05-08, 22:28
Do they necessarily see and feel what Jinta sees and feels? When Menma hung onto Poppo's back, you would think he would notice the weight of a person weighing him down.

deadite
2011-05-08, 23:58
Currently a shit storm over Anaru doing enjou kyousai in the preview for episode 5.

Malkuth
2011-05-09, 00:33
Currently a shit storm over Anaru doing enjou kyousai in the preview for episode 5.

First few messages were hilarious!

http://livedoor.2.blogimg.jp/otaku_blog/imgs/6/e/6e8da305.jpg

One step closer to my bad end :heh:

deadite
2011-05-09, 00:47
Also Poppo seems to be Emo in the PV

darkmanure
2011-05-09, 00:47
Next episode is going to be interesting then. I expect haters already.

Cal-Reflector
2011-05-09, 02:05
Previews are raising a global shit storm, literally.

There's rage, and there's also plenty who are traumatized from similar developments/character revelations in other shows, where a popular female character has sex (consensual or otherwise) with someone else besides the protagonist.

Generates even more of a negative emotional reaction from fandom than if said female character died a terrible death.

Don't think female-oriented content (anime and manga) has quite the same dynamic. Sexual promiscuity for the hero/popular male character is a much more common feature.

darkmanure
2011-05-09, 04:49
Where is all the rage at? I want to read some.

Tu101uk
2011-05-09, 05:12
...Oh git... Here we go... >.>;;;
Mass nerdrage incoming if she steps one foot into that hotel...O-O~

Pellissier
2011-05-09, 05:23
Well, that preview could still be misleading. It might be a flashback of something that didn't happen, when the man embraces her, she might have reconsidered it and ran away.

Alternatively, let's not see all black when it looks black or all white when it looks white. I have a more plausible theory:

Her two "friends" are pushing her into enjou kyousai (most likely something the two of them are doing already) and she's kind of forced to do it, to be "one of them" or to be "cool". So when they arrange a meeting for Anaru, she goes, but she's still split between something she probably doesn't want to do, or lose her evil schoolmates if she doesn't. What will her choice be?

This might even be the catalyst splitting her from her bad company and pushing the return to her roots (Jintan and the other childhood friends). Hints of Anaru not being at ease with her current companions have been shown quite frequently during previous episodes.

Tu101uk
2011-05-09, 05:26
Well, that preview could still be misleading. It might be a flashback of something that didn't happen, when the man embraces her, she might have reconsidered it and ran away.

Alternatively, I have a more plausible theory:

Her two "friends" are pushing her into enjou kyousai (most likely something they're doing already) and she's kind of forced to do it, to be "one of them". So when they arrange a meeting for Anaru, she goes, but she's still split between something she probably doesn't want to do, or lose her evil schoolmates if she doesn't. What will her choice be?

This might even be the catalyst splitting her from her bad company and pushing the return to her roots (Jintan and the other childhood friends).
Oh yeah, that's perfectly possible, and I'm praying that this is just the case.

Unfortunately, people have to wait four more days to find out, and I can perfectly understand the amount of rage building up over that one little scene... >.>;;;

O-O~

Kanon
2011-05-09, 08:03
First few messages were hilarious!

http://livedoor.2.blogimg.jp/otaku_blog/imgs/6/e/6e8da305.jpg

One step closer to my bad end :heh:

The screen where Menma is doing the Shaft head tilt is the one that caught my attention first :heh:

I'm not worried one bit about Anaru. I'm sure she'll back out. She's not the type of girl who would do that kind of things, even if her friends encouraged her to do so.

Malkuth
2011-05-09, 08:52
The screen where Menma is doing the Shaft head tilt is the one that caught my attention first :heh:

LOL, not the title's event potentially being explained (first cap), nor anaru's attempt at making her nickname more representative (later three caps) :p Anyway, I noticed that too, but given Menma's condition, first thing coming to my mind was that girl from the first Exorcist.

I'm not worried one bit about Anaru. I'm sure she'll back out. She's not the type of girl who would do that kind of things, even if her friends encouraged her to do so.

Those were the famous last thoughts of several mangaka :p

Her two "friends" are pushing her into enjou kyousai (most likely something the two of them are doing already) and she's kind of forced to do it, to be "one of them" or to be "cool". So when they arrange a meeting for Anaru, she goes, but she's still split between something she probably doesn't want to do, or lose her evil schoolmates if she doesn't. What will her choice be?

Of course this is a more probable outcome, but I'm a sucker for 2chan controversies... they're hilarious :eyespin:

And what's wrong with doing it for money :confused:

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-09, 11:54
No way "that" happens with Anaru, Classic misdirection.

taichi-kun
2011-05-09, 14:57
mmm I hope anaru doesn't go to the hotel with that guy...

Please reject him.. I don't want anaru to be a slut like her friends :(

deadite
2011-05-10, 03:18
some people want her to go through with it so it shows realistic flawed characters.

Sebasu
2011-05-10, 03:32
I never get the huge deal people make out of non-virgin anime characters. Sex is normal. -_-

But Anaru, girl that's prostitution you're getting into. Must be misleading, but still very refreshing to see shows with flawed characters.

deadite
2011-05-10, 04:35
Because people have different sexual value and standards. You can't just go around telling people virginity and propriety are meaningless.

Sebasu
2011-05-10, 06:19
Yeah in reality but I meant in anime/fiction. How otakus rage so hard over anime characters not being "pure" is really hilarious. I remember Kannagi causing a madness. :heh:

Joachim
2011-05-10, 08:08
Yeah in reality but I meant in anime/fiction. How otakus rage so hard over anime characters not being "pure" is really hilarious. I remember Kannagi causing a madness. :heh:

the thing is, being "not pure" due to consensual sex out of love is one thing, and whoring yourself is the other.

but it seems 2ch doesnt think that way..., but yeah if anaru needs to go to that "whoring" part first before redeeming herself, consider her character wrecked in my book, whoring is a no no :uhoh:

darkmanure
2011-05-10, 08:21
I can't wait for the shitstorm when this episode comes out. If she does whore herself out, I can see her being hated on more then Yukiatsu by the Ano Hana fanbase :eyespin: I'll admit that I'll be vastly disappointed in her if she does so, but this is a melodramatic anime.

Jinta saved your life so you can whore yourself out :twitch:

Tsuruko was right to call her friends whores.

Malkuth
2011-05-10, 12:59
Indeed, I can already see the rage, even here :heh:

the thing is, being "not pure" due to consensual sex out of love is one thing, and whoring yourself is the other.

but it seems 2ch doesnt think that way..., but yeah if anaru needs to go to that "whoring" part first before redeeming herself, consider her character wrecked in my book, whoring is a no no :uhoh:

What's exactly wrong with Anaru, getting laid for money? Capitalism anyone? She would have done it eventually for free anyway, so why not profit in the process :p

I can't wait for the shitstorm when this episode comes out. If she does whore herself out, I can see her being hated on more then Yukiatsu by the Ano Hana fanbase :eyespin: I'll admit that I'll be vastly disappointed in her if she does so, but this is a melodramatic anime.

So hypocrisy wins again :uhoh: Instead of raging over the dude that even cross-dressed as his dead childhood crush, in order to troll his friends; people will hate a girl that earns her living :nono:

Jinta saved your life so you can whore yourself out :twitch:

Because Jintan, like Yukiatsu, are still fantasizing about a certain dead loli

Tsuruko was right to call her friends whores.

Because she does not have the balls to do the same ;)

Anyway, half-joking here, but still if Naruko is talked into compensated dating by her friends, she will become even more likeable in my eyes, since that's the kind of character, you wish to help/protect (Chihiro@ef, Sakura@F/SN, Kohaku@Tsukihime, etc).

darkmanure
2011-05-10, 14:10
Hate is different in this situation though. Yukiatsu was hated since the beginning. When people see one of the favorite character fall it seems like the hate is stronger (Harems/romance usually). This also plays with the double standards a lot of us have. Men can easily whore themselves out and get away with it. Woman would get a verbal lashing.

Since I'm a guy if let's say Jinta was having sex with two girls I would say he got it made. If it's a girl, she's a whore. That's my double standards.

We'll see on Friday which way it goes. I can see Naruko fans blowing up if she goes with it.

Either way the next episode will be interesting.

Shadow5YA
2011-05-10, 14:53

Alternatively, let's not see all black when it looks black or all white when it looks white. I have a more plausible theory:

This might even be the catalyst splitting her from her bad company and pushing the return to her roots (Jintan and the other childhood friends). Hints of Anaru not being at ease with her current companions have been shown quite frequently during previous episodes.

That is what I'm thinking. A typical peer pressure situation where a person has to do something or lose her friendship.

erneiz_hyde
2011-05-10, 18:53
Has anyone considered that the existence of Menma in this anime can be quite analogous with how Beatrice or Kinzo existed in Umineko?

deadite
2011-05-13, 18:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forget-me-not

Legend has it that in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not." It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love.

Theory: Menma wished Jinta to get the flowers for her because they were on a dangerous place on the steep cliff. After Jinta ran out, she wanted to patch things up with him by getting some of the "forget-me-not flowers". She ends up as the knight in the legend.

ykf566
2011-05-13, 20:59
And thus the name of the anime...

Sebasu
2011-05-15, 22:43
Episode 6 preview is already up on the site: http://www.anohana.jp/story/06.html
http://i54.tinypic.com/wsn28g.png

Great to see Jintan going back to school! But I'm wondering (and worried) for whom this note might be directed to, it's shown on the preview at the end of ep5. It says something on the lines of "Die!", I think.

http://i53.tinypic.com/vrsj9g.png

Anaru? (girl fingers + might be from her nasty "friends")
Tsuruko? (no nail polish unlike Anaru + might be from a Yukiatsu admirer jealous of her always being with him? lol)
or Jintan? (though it's very unlikely)

darkmanure
2011-05-16, 01:07
Thanks for the preview update.

VentAileron
2011-05-18, 05:45
Theory: Menma wished Jinta to get the flowers for her because they were on a dangerous place on the steep cliff. After Jinta ran out, she wanted to patch things up with him by getting some of the "forget-me-not flowers". She ends up as the knight in the legend.

That ignores the 'it can only be fulfilled when everyone is together' part.

SoFarGone
2011-05-18, 11:16
its a pink pen/pencil so it has to be a girl.

Sebasu
2011-05-19, 11:28
http://i53.tinypic.com/vrsj9g.png

Anaru? (girl fingers + might be from her nasty "friends")
Tsuruko? (no nail polish unlike Anaru + might be from a Yukiatsu admirer jealous of her always being with him? lol)
or Jintan? (though it's very unlikely)

Oh nevermind this :heh: I'm watching the ep now
it's actually Anaru herself writing it, followed by a very adorable moment with Jintan and her. I am quite relieved for a moment.

BladeEntity
2011-05-20, 10:53
Other than the fact that the warning flag for Jintan to have a disease has gone up. This is my best guess at the ending.

I think he really is dying, hence the many references to Jintan's mum. However my gut feeling tells me the ending has a 50% chance to end in his death. Seeing as how its running against Hanairo written by the same author I think one will end with an ending that gives a very melancholy feeling I betting more no AnoHana for that kind of ending than Hanairo.

But on the other hand,there is the 50% chance that the Memma 'ghost' will have the ability to grant something like a wish after her 'wish' is fufilled; Than at the end she will be able to cure Jintan. Her parting words will be along the lines of moving on and they say the 'I loved you'.

Also thanks to Menma who before leaving tries to bring Anaru and Jintan together. At the end all the Anaru/Jintan fans will be happy because he starts to show at least some affection.

Personally I have no expectation and who knows whether a 360 twist will happen and Anaru goes with Yukiatsu while Jinatan and Tsuroko get together... XD

Pocari_Sweat
2011-05-20, 10:55
I think it's just a genuine nosebleed...

Pellissier
2011-05-20, 11:11
I also think this is reading too much into it. The first one looked genuine, while the second was used for purely comedic purposes. As for Menma's "conversations" with Jintan's mother, I believe it's because being dead, she's the only one she can actually relate to.
Even if I find the theory that he's the only one who can see Menma becaue he's dying as fascinating, I believe that 5 remaining episodes are not enough to go that deep into it. For how I see things, there are other matters on their way, I'm still waiting for Tsuruko and Poppo's own memories of that day, and the diary might be a key for at least one of them. Plus the group shall totally reunite (as of now it's kind of split in a 3+2) , figure the mistery, solve it and then have the final resolution.

demonkevy666
2011-05-20, 11:39
I also think this is reading too much into it. The first one looked genuine, while the second was used for purely comedic purposes. As for Menma's "conversations" with Jintan's mother, I believe it's because being dead, she's the only one she can actually relate to.
Even if I find the theory that he's the only one who can see Menma becaue he's dying as fascinating, I believe that 5 remaining episodes are not enough to go that deep into it. For how I see things, there are other matters on their way, I'm still waiting for Tsuruko and Poppo's own memories of that day, and the diary might be a key for at least one of them. Plus the group shall totally reunite (as of now it's kind of split in a 3+2) , figure the mistery, solve it and then have the final resolution.

5 episodes is only going to leave a lot of unanswered questions.
:uhoh:

Sebasu
2011-05-21, 10:58
I kind of want the Jintan speculation/nosebleed theory thing, lol.
Cruel, but I'm in for a bittersweet ending with him dying and being with Menma together in the afterlife.
Anime originals like this are so exciting to follow each week because it's fun to guess what will happen, and also there's no source material to "cheat" from.

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-21, 13:13
As for me, I really don't think Jintan is suffering from some disease. His first nosebleed was probably due to his emotions taking control over him. When you get too tense/anxious/overwhelmed, things like that happen.

As for the second nosebleed....comic relief anyone? =.=

darkmanure
2011-05-21, 17:44
People are really over speculating on that one.

Shadow5YA
2011-05-21, 18:38
I really think they were just random nosebleeds to bring out Menma and Anaru's reactions. The first nosebleed was to show Menma's strong concern for others while the second one was for comedic purposes.

Sebasu
2011-05-23, 01:57
They seem to be talking about how scary Menma's dad is on the preview for episode 7. http://www.anohana.jp/story/07.html

Looks like the writers are really pushing for Jintan and Anaru together.
http://i52.tinypic.com/26451jr.png

For me, I just want more Tsuruko scenes ._.

Tu101uk
2011-05-23, 05:34
They seem to be talking about how scary Menma's dad is on the preview for episode 7. http://www.anohana.jp/story/07.html

Looks like the writers are really pushing for Jintan and Anaru together.
http://i52.tinypic.com/26451jr.png

For me, I just want more Tsuruko scenes ._.
Some coincidence huh...
...that very recent speculation has moved on to possible child abuse issues, and then this preview shows up hinting at Menma's "scary" dad. It would explain the awkward mood within the Honma household, though it's quite a deep issue to delve into with four episodes remaining.

Jintan doing a spot of part-time work? I know how it feels to be an unsociable geek in the world of part-time work (I'm still doing it XD just not in construction). And the JintanxAnaru shipping continues, it's great...

...however, I'm getting worried now that, with only four episodes to go, we still haven't seen Poppo or Tsuruko's sides of the story... o_o;;; We need more Tsuruko NOW! >.<

O-O~

Pellissier
2011-05-23, 06:27
They seem to be talking about how scary Menma's dad is on the preview for episode 7.
Yeah, sort of. The two who talk are kid Yukiatsu and kid Tsuruko. Rough translation (I'm a bit unsure about the second part of the fourth line):

Y: Ahhhh, ojisan took the ball away.
T: That's why I kept telling you we should stop going to play at Menma's house...
Y: Menma's father is scary, isn't he? He doesn't look like Menma at all.
T: I wonder about it? For example the sight is a bit... (Me no atari to ka wa chotto...)
Y: They're not alike!
T: It's not something to be so concerned about...

PzIVf3
2011-05-23, 07:52
I think the strict father must have lock her up inside her room so she cant play outside. Why do i got this feeling Poppo might be ......Nyah its not him.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-23, 09:08
We might be at the "where there's smoke" point with the Menma's father theories. Don't forget she has an otouto, too, so anything revealed about her father has real-time implications.

BetoJR
2011-05-23, 10:05
Yeah, I didn't get any real "molesting" vibes from the brief visits to her house, myself. But anything's possible, I guess.

Tu101uk
2011-05-23, 12:16
Yeah, I didn't get any real "molesting" vibes from the brief visits to her house, myself. But anything's possible, I guess.
The term "child abuse" is broad and doesn't necessarily imply anything sexual. Physical and mental abuse is just as damaging to children.

You can just taste the tension in the air in that household. Whereas her mother and brother still seemed attached to Menma, her father seemed VERY detached from all of them. And notice how Menma's mother looked at Jintan. There's something afoot there (either that or a red herring of some sort).

The key to all of this seems like Menma's diary. We'll find out the real revelations from there.

O-O~

james0246
2011-05-23, 13:07
And notice how Menma's mother looked at Jintan. There's something afoot there (either that or a red herring of some sort).

To be fair, Menma seemed to really like Jintan, so it's possible the mother knows something about her daughters feelings toward Jinta, so the way in which she looked at Jinta could have been nothing more than the memory of the strong feelings her daughter had toward one of her friends.

Ekureiru
2011-05-24, 10:48
I'm going to propose my own glorious theory...

1. Anaru and Jintan are finally able to make headway at understanding each other, and continue to 'hang out' independently alongside the rest of the group.
2. Jintan eventually grows the balls to confess his feelings, and Anaru affirms them as mutual.
3. They start dating.
4. About a week into their relationship, she finally asks Jintan why he acts like two people rather than just himself, pointing to his rampant switch on-and-off crossdressing which is at levels that would make Yukiatsu look like a wannabe trans.
5. In true Fight Club-esque fashion, his delusion continues with him unwilling to convince himself that what Anaru says is true.
6. This leads to a break-up moment between the two, and eventually his fall from grace into the lowest pits of absolute despair and insanity.
7. Absolutely confused and beyond help, Jintan finally somehow (despite being batshit crazy) confess his feelings to Menma and apologize to her for his comment when they were younger.
8. Now doubting his own battles with reality, and determined to kill the 'illusion' which has turned out to be him acting the part without realizing it until now, he 'kills' Menma, either by the atypical drowning method or otherwise.
9. The absolutely beyond reach Jintan, by killing his 'delusion' which is really a split-off of himself, commits suicide in glorious horrorific and cliche fashion.

SoFarGone
2011-05-24, 18:37
I'm going to propose my own glorious theory...

1. Anaru and Jintan are finally able to make headway at understanding each other, and continue to 'hang out' independently alongside the rest of the group.
2. Jintan eventually grows the balls to confess his feelings, and Anaru affirms them as mutual.
3. They start dating.
4. About a week into their relationship, she finally asks Jintan why he acts like two people rather than just himself, pointing to his rampant switch on-and-off crossdressing which is at levels that would make Yukiatsu look like a wannabe trans.
5. In true Fight Club-esque fashion, his delusion continues with him unwilling to convince himself that what Anaru says is true.
6. This leads to a break-up moment between the two, and eventually his fall from grace into the lowest pits of absolute despair and insanity.
7. Absolutely confused and beyond help, Jintan finally somehow (despite being batshit crazy) confess his feelings to Menma and apologize to her for his comment when they were younger.
8. Now doubting his own battles with reality, and determined to kill the 'illusion' which has turned out to be him acting the part without realizing it until now, he 'kills' Menma, either by the atypical drowning method or otherwise.
9. The absolutely beyond reach Jintan, by killing his 'delusion' which is really a split-off of himself, commits suicide in glorious horrorific and cliche fashion.

lol wtf. Is this a serious theory or are you just fooling around?

Ekureiru
2011-05-25, 02:32
lol wtf. Is this a serious theory or are you just fooling around?

Not quite serious, but if it dosen't rule out the fact that's probable.

Never can tell which direction this series 'll end up taking.

Malkuth
2011-05-25, 09:01
Never can tell which direction this series 'll end up taking.

Definitely a rather dull and/or trivial one considering the aegis under which it airs... but we can always hope there have been exceptions :heh:

Tu101uk
2011-05-30, 07:40
Yay for more episode previews on anohana.jp... ^.^

http://www.anohana.jp/story/08.html
Looks like more Menmama next episode, let's see how this pans out with her (and/or her family's) opposition towards the gang's plans...

...and... is that... Tsuruko development? o_O;;; If so, about bloody time... ;P

Oh mah gawd, another different hairstyle for Anaru, and it looks niiiiiiiiiiice... :3
O-O~

icatero
2011-05-30, 18:48
^Whose voice is that narrating? o__o

Ottocycle
2011-05-30, 19:17
^Whose voice is that narrating? o__o
There's Menma (Kayano Ai), and then there's kid-Poppo (Toyosaki Aki).

.x.crii.x.
2011-06-01, 20:28
Am I the only whose having problems playing the video?

It showed up once but it won't show up anymore. D:

Tu101uk
2011-06-06, 02:21
Morning, guys and gals! Another Monday, another preview... ;D

http://www.anohana.jp/story/09.html

I believe the episode title is "minna to Menma", or "Everyone and Menma"...

Cooking with Menma! All the muffins you can eat! XD Looks like Poppo will be sampling that...

Hmm it seems like someone's pissed. Kicking a fence ain't gonna help you see Menma, Yukiatsu... >.>;;;

Anaru on the verge of tears again? Jintan, what did you do/say this time? :<

And where has Tsuruko gone? And what is she up to? o_OExciting times... Wonder what the aftermath to Episode 8 will be like...? :3

O-O~

darkmanure
2011-06-07, 05:26
Yukiatsu sure got issues.

erneiz_hyde
2011-06-07, 17:00
I guess that "cat box" theory is less probable now. It can still somehow fit with a stretch, but I'm gonna scratch that and believe that Menma is actually a real ghost. However, that leaves me bugged why didn't Jintan make Menma show that a lot earlier.

Ekureiru
2011-06-09, 04:00
I guess that "cat box" theory is less probable now. It can still somehow fit with a stretch, but I'm gonna scratch that and believe that Menma is actually a real ghost. However, that leaves me bugged why didn't Jintan make Menma show that a lot earlier.

Seems this rules out my theory as well. Damn, I was looking forward to it being possible. :(

Shadow5YA
2011-06-09, 14:37

Jinta never made Menma show anything. It was all Menma's idea. I don't think Jinta cared whether anyone else believed him or not.

darkmanure
2011-06-13, 23:45
The episode 10 preview only had one scene. Jinta is dropping off mail to Menma's household and running off.

PzIVf3
2011-06-13, 23:59
He trying to blackmail or letter of apology or something.
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2180/1308025676156.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/1308025676156.jpg/)

fazer
2011-06-14, 00:14
I hope its an invitation to the firework party, not a letter that says he is going to elope with ghost Menma....

Sebasu
2011-06-14, 01:05
That guy might even be Yukiatsu dressing up as Jintan to send some evil blackmail to Menma's family! That dude has some serious dress-up skills so who knows? (:heh:)

Kidding aside, I waited another day for this preview and they gave this. Way to tease hard.

Shadow5YA
2011-06-14, 09:56
I have a feeling that Jinta might not want to go through with the fireworks after all since he admitted that he doesn't want Menma to disappear.

miketyson
2011-06-14, 11:22
A letter from Menma, perhaps? Though why would Jinta deliver it? Maybe it'd be too creepy to float a letter through the air?

It'd be pretty funny if Jinta was also a ghost at that point, making his stealthiness pointless.

Endless Soul
2011-06-16, 09:30
Anyone else have a feeling that Menma won't dissapear with the firework launch?

katsudon
2011-06-16, 20:33
yea...looks like you're correct. well... since the firework happened in this episode instead of the last, that was a good guess.

oh well... most of my speculations were wrong. this episode 10 turns out to be very normal.

fazer
2011-06-16, 21:54
At least Anjo didn't end up with Yukiatsu... and especially since Tsuruko told Anjo how she felt for Yukiatsu, its more unlikely Anjo would end up with Yukiatsu for now...

When Anjo was crying, I was hoping Tsuruko hugged her and they end up as a loving lesbian couple -__-...seems like the guys they both like are so insensitive and jerks...

Sageblink
2011-06-17, 04:33
seems like the guys they both like are so insensitive and jerks...

So what ? Because someone loves you, you have to force yourself to love them back ? They may be jerks because of their reaction, but clearly not insensitive. Come on : they both went Emo on a ghost ! And one of them even admited his love for her...

Om Nerabdator
2011-06-17, 05:11
........thats even worse

fazer
2011-06-17, 07:12
So what ? Because someone loves you, you have to force yourself to love them back ? They may be jerks because of their reaction, but clearly not insensitive. Come on : they both went Emo on a ghost ! And one of them even admited his love for her...

Hey hey relax :upset:
I just feel pity for the 2 girls. Of course the lesbian thing meant as a joke -__-.... obviously the 2 guys have some serious issue that is hard to resolve, the ideal ending I want to see is Menma moves on, and both guys resolve the issue and end up respectively with the 2 girls and live happily ever, simple and predictable that the kind of love story I like lol

Sageblink
2011-06-17, 07:26
Hey hey relax :upset:
I just feel pity for the 2 girls. Of course the lesbian thing meant as a joke -__-.... obviously the 2 guys have some serious issue that is hard to resolve, the ideal ending I want to see is Menma moves on, and both guys resolve the issue and end up respectively with the 2 girls and live happily ever, simple and predictable that the kind of love story I like lol

Haha, but I'm relax !
I just said that they went "Emo on a ghost". :heh:
(you can't possibly be serious when you say that kind of things...)

Actually, I don't want Menma to moves on. As if her death wasn't enough, they're about to lose her (well, mostly Yadomi) one more time ! Meh !! Too sad.
I can't endure that ! :upset:

SoFarGone
2011-06-17, 14:02
Haha, but I'm relax !
I just said that they went "Emo on a ghost". :heh:
(you can't possibly be serious when you say that kind of things...)

Actually, I don't want Menma to moves on. As if her death wasn't enough, they're about to lose her (well, mostly Yadomi) one more time ! Meh !! Too sad.
I can't endure that ! :upset:
you're probably one of the few that doesn't want Menma to move on. You're not looking at the bigger picture but the current situation. Jintan needs to let her go, its for his own and her own good.

TrippedUp
2011-06-17, 18:23
I wonder why Tsuruko is crying, as seen from the next ep preview.

Also, yeah, Menma needs to move on. She wants to, and the rest of them need this. They already got the closure they needed (Menma doesn't hate them, Jinta said he loved her) and it'd just be healthier for everyone. Jintan can;'t marry a dead girl. Yes, I know it's anime and it's done weirder, but no. Just no.

fazer
2011-06-17, 22:13
you're probably one of the few that doesn't want Menma to move on. You're not looking at the bigger picture but the current situation. Jintan needs to let her go, its for his own and her own good.

Maybe its really which character you empathize with the most, if u empathize with the emotional Jinta, it would be wanting Menma to stay, a logical Jinta would want Menma to move on, and he knows it when he saw that there was no Menma reflection in the water in episode 9...but eventually emotional Jinta > logical Jinta

Its a bittersweet situation, on one hand Menma leaving is indeed very sad but on the other we all and she knows that she needs to leave for Jinta and the rest to move on

At first I wonder if her return was actually a good thing, wouldn't Jinta miss her even more now that he has experience "love" with her, but one thing for sure, for better or worse the gang got back together to resolve their issue and this time there is a formal goodbye for Menma...

Then again its really sad when you know someone you love is leaving soon, wouldn't you want to treasure every minute with her...

Endless Soul
2011-06-18, 10:54
yea...looks like you're correct. well... since the firework happened in this episode instead of the last, that was a good guess.

oh well... most of my speculations were wrong. this episode 10 turns out to be very normal.

I don't know, I guess I just had a gut feeling about it.

So what now? What will it take to get Menma to move on? Or will she ever move on?

Sageblink
2011-06-18, 20:15
Then again its really sad when you know someone you love is leaving soon, wouldn't you want to treasure every minute with her...

As I'm in this very situation, I couldn't do anything else than empathize with Emo-Jintan.

Back to the show, I know it would be for the best. But I can't push me to "feel" it that way.

Luna Amatista
2011-06-20, 13:17
Preview for last episode is out!
http://www.anohana.jp/story/11.html
Does anyone understand what's going on?

SoFarGone
2011-06-20, 13:19
I can never see the preview for some reason.

fazer
2011-06-20, 20:03
Rats..that is sure some teaser..I don't really get it but showing Menma sad and happy faces...would probably drill more sorrow into me when she leaves...

awkwardanimals
2011-06-21, 19:46
Honestly as long as Menma disappears I'll consider this anime a good one. It's unhealthy for Jintan (and everyone else) to keep dwelling on the past forever.

If she's reincarnated as anything human I'll be extremely disappointed haha

pseudonhym
2011-06-21, 20:31
I found lots of speculations about how this anime will end but I always keep thinking that Menma would achieve nirvana and would later be reborn into a unique flower that will be seen by the super peace busters.... hence the title....