PDA

View Full Version : AnoHana - Episode 7 Discussion / Poll

Pellissier
2011-05-26, 06:44
Welcome to the discussion thread for AnoHana, Episode 7.

Thread Guidelines
Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_pm_explain), or seek out a more appropriate thread.
Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.

Episode Thread Spoiler Policy

Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=animesuki_faq#faq_spoilerpolicy) for more information.
Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a useful title!
Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

deadite
2011-05-26, 09:46
http://twitvideo.jp/contents/lists/anohana_project 6 screenshots from episode 7

Mizz-Bubblez
2011-05-26, 12:26
Was there any Tsuruko importance in this episode? I missed the episode.

deadite
2011-05-26, 12:53
Lots of discussion between Tsuruko and Yukiatsu I didn't quite get. But episode was about them earning up for fireworks for Menma.

serenade_beta
2011-05-26, 14:31
Uho! Menmama is the last boss! An assassin from the shadows...!
And since "hanabi" (fireworks) has "flower" in it, maybe it is what the title is talking about?

Still, Yukiatsu and Tsuruko, huh... I don't know... Yukiatsu is a good guy, but I just can't imagine the two together. Rather, maybe I don't want to.
2nd and 4th, so Tsuruko is trying to be 3rd (or 1st) and be beside him? Maybe.
But still... (´・д・`)ヤダ

pagan poor
2011-05-26, 14:46
Aside from the other stuff already mentioned, I smiled when Anjou started calling Yadomi "Jintan" in public again, and then blushing after the fact.

shibakun
2011-05-26, 15:07
So this week's episode focuses on the group (mainly Jintan & Anaru) effort to fund the fireworks that was mentioned in Menma's diary.

Mostly a set up episode/calm before the storm type of deal.

Now pardon me as I set the sail of my Jintan x Anaru ship. It is a long voyage ahead and now would be the time to pick up good winds!

Kaoru Chujo
2011-05-26, 17:20
I enjoyed the episode, but it was frustrating that they jumped on the first wish they saw in the diary, rather than reading it through, as any sensible person would have done. Just made it too mechanical a set-up for the fireworks thing.

But I am thrilled to see the JintanxAnaru ship setting sail. Menma was good. Tsuruko was good (and Hayamin was excellent). Yukiatsu continues to be a walking pile of interesting contradictions (and Sakurai-san is excellent, of course). I was less impressed with Tomacchan this episode, but maybe Anaru doesn't have to have a smooth or pretty voice, just a conflicted one.

tsunade666
2011-05-26, 18:26
woooo the beginning was sweet! Nice timing Poppo.

Lots of sweet and HNGGGG moments between Jinta and Anaru.

I'm getting annoyed at Menma at some point >.> but near the end she still wins me. She didn't cry this time around but still a little bit of tears on her eyes.

Yukiatsu I think he is not studying and trying to find or research about fireworks unlike Tsuruko. I think his the kind of guy that helps in different way or not seen way.

The group is back but an unexpected denpa enemy shows up. Menma's mom

btw is denpa can be translated as crazy? It looks like the reason why she is only alone and the father and son are not around is because she goes haywire crazy. Poor thing.

.x.crii.x.
2011-05-26, 19:05
Awwww man, all those JintanxAnaru moments....HNNNNG. xDD And lol @ Poppo: Beef Curry Retreat! xDD

Aye! ´Tis a good time to let the JintanxAnaru ship sail!

Mizz-Bubblez
2011-05-26, 19:15
The Anaru x Jinta moment was awesome.

Poppo was hilarious XD

I wonder why Menma wanted to hide it from Jinta?

Also I wonder what Tsuruko meant by tired of being around Yukiatsu? Is she tired of being of an unrequited love, dealing with his attitude towards Jinta, or of the unecessary hate she get from Yukiatsu's crushes?

Btw I am glad Menma didn't end up crying again.

I knew some thing was weird about Menma's mother.

Anyways, another week to wait T.T

Sageblink
2011-05-26, 19:25

Wait... Did she just called her "Onee-Chan" ? :uhoh:

Texas84
2011-05-26, 19:38
That ending was so unfair. I have to wait another WEEK?!?!?

tsunade666
2011-05-26, 19:40

she did and that creeps me more :uhoh: she said onee-chan, jinta-kun and others are doing their best for your sake.... then goes fuzaketerune :twitch: (not sure on how to spell the last words....)

kitten320
2011-05-26, 19:48
Nice episode! However, Menma really needs to put her act togetehr and be more considerative. I mean, constantly popping up like this (when Jintan was talking to his father), doesn't she get that she is a huge distraction for him and puts him in akward situations?

I don't care how old her brain is but there should be some sence after all this time she is around...

Anyway nice Anaru/Jintan moments and I still keep liking Tsuruko's and Yukiatsu's interections. I think that without each other they would be less interesting...

And lol go Poppo! Make the ramen retreat :D

PzIVf3
2011-05-26, 19:50

That could be a good hint of why Menma doesn't want her mother to remember her and keeps avoiding to talk about her life at home. And its possible connection of what happened to Jinta mother at the hospital.

serenade_beta
2011-05-26, 19:58

Actually, in Japan, families do sometimes call each other by their roles, like she did.
And of course, Menma has a little brother and she is the big sister of the family.

btw is denpa can be translated as crazy?

Denpa characters can just be crazy, which to be honest, means they aren't "denpa" but just "insane", but I don't think "denpa" fits Menmama right now.

ipodi
2011-05-26, 20:28
Hmm... a cliffhanger. But let's hold off on the wild speculations. Last week we had to read conjectures about the possibility that Menma was sexually abused by her dad and the nosebleed might indicate that Jintan has a brain tumor. We simly don't know what is Menma's mother thinking.

Haohmaru
2011-05-26, 20:42
Actually, in Japan, families do sometimes call each other by their roles, like she did.
And of course, Menma has a little brother and she is the big sister of the family
Of course. I didn't think about it like that. Makes sense now.

Midnight Bliss
2011-05-26, 21:12
Damn, really excited for next week. Didn't like JintanXAnaru moments, but whatever. I watch this show for Tsuruko, Menma, Yukiatsu, and Jintan. Never thought anything out of the ordinary for Menma's mom, but guess we'll see next week!

darkmanure
2011-05-26, 21:18
Oh man I can't wait. I have been curious about Menma's family since the start.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-05-26, 21:39
Another brilliant episode. Great follow-up from the previous one which one relatively lighthearted. Lots of sweet moments between Jintan and Anjou for Jintan x Anjou shippers, but my personal favourite moment was when Menma "turned on the lights" for Jintan whilst he was doing construction work.

Looks like there's going to be an obstacle that the Super Peace Busters needs to pass - Menma's dad. I have a feeling though Menma's mother is going to soften up his stance though.

Triple_R
2011-05-26, 22:21
Excellent episode.

Here's what I liked about it:

1. Very nice character development and personal growth for Jinta's character.

2. Related to the above, it's good how Jinta's strong points were highlighted well in this episode. It was good to see he's a very effective worker when he wants to be, and that there's a real reason why he was considered a good and likable leader back when he was a young kid.

3. Lovely relationship development between Jinta and Anaru. I like how its believably and gradually building up. I don't need to see any conclusive romance in this anime, but it would be a nice added bonus.

4. The overall handling of Menma's diary and associated flashbacks was just about flawless, I felt. Really worked well, and had a solid emotional impact. This was helped by the fact that...

5. Menma did not cry this episode. YES!!! Finally. :heh: Granted, she teared up a bit, but at least she didn't release actual water-works this episode. For me, taking a more subtle approach to the emotionality of a couple key scenes actually make them more effective. They felt less forced, and hence more authentic, to me that way.

All-told, a marvelous episode, with another good cliffhanger moment for this anime.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-26, 23:11
Another stunner for me. I especially loved that shot of Menma doing the little floating backflip onto Jintan's bed - beyond adorable. I also appreciated the moment - pointed out by Poppo - that the HS students all looked back fondly on their "youth", and what old men must think when they look at HS students. That had the ring of truth through and through. Also, points for the "Working!" poster.

Jintan was 100% right about that snowball effect of skipping (and I can speak from experience here). One day is easy - too easy. That's the problem - at some point it's easier to skip than go back.

I don't know - I just have the feeling this show is going to rip my heart out and stomp it to a mass of pulp, and it's stronger now than ever.

HayashiTakara
2011-05-26, 23:43
Another great episode, love the character developments and relationship developments between Jintan and Anaru.

Riga92
2011-05-27, 00:15
Those Jintan x Anaru moments.

And Menmom confirmed for final boss. Will Jintan and the gang be able to fufill Menma's wish?

Sebasu
2011-05-27, 00:27
I enjoyed it as usual. The most painful part of the show for me is waiting for the next episode to come because I am really hooked with it. Every ending, the possibilities for this show just get bigger and weirder.

Everyone already commented on Jintan and Anaru and I agree, I enjoyed their developments as well. I adored the video game store part, especially Jintan screaming "Welcome!" out loud. How awkward it is when he called her what sounds like "Anal" in public though. :P

Tsuruko declining Yukiatsu's "date" offer, she probably knew he will only talk about Menma and Jintan instead of having actual time for each other so I can understand the feeling she's getting tired of it. I still want them to ~happen though. Aside the fact that I want to see my two favorite characters hook up with each other, it's also too late for Tsuruko to give up on that 6-year unrequited childhood love. :heh:

Oh and I love the flashback scenes. I missed them a lot because the previous episode lacked them.

deadite
2011-05-27, 01:01
The arm Menma is holding in the preview is her father's who is about to beat Jinta for taking his little girl from her. DRAMA!

icatero
2011-05-27, 01:43
This episode makes me wonder if Yukiatsu knows Tsuruko actually likes him. Her (slightly) surprised expression when he asked her if she wanted to go out with him + her wearing the hairclip made me feel bad for her. I think I'm a bigger fan of this pairing than Jintan/Anaru. Having my two most favorite characters would be amazing. :D

FlareKnight
2011-05-27, 02:10
I like how little things keep unlocking memories for the group. Reading through the diary reminded them about visiting Jinta's mom which lead to the fireworks. Some strange questions though about Menma asking them to meet up. If she wanted to keep it a secret from Jintan then why was he there? Plus makes you wonder what she wanted to talk about in the first place.

Will agree about the nice developments with Jintan and Anaru. Bringing the nicknames back is a good sign. Also good to see him stepping up for Anaru once again. His interferences can be a bit awkward to watch, but they do cheer Anaru right up afterwards. Who knows how things will turn out, but still nice developments.

Do feel a bit for Tsuruko. Her feelings are pretty clear, but that guy can be tough to deal with. Hopefully things will work out for her.

Of course the biggest obstacle against helping Menma is Menma's family (parts of it). Group will have to stand together on this.

Reckoner
2011-05-27, 03:24
Heh as someone who rarely attends his college classes, I can speak from experience that jintan's claims about the snowball effect are correct. Don't let yourselves fall into that trap guys :(.

Anyhow, it was another wonderful episode from this series. It just flows so naturally. I like the character development provided. Really, such a lovable cast. 9/10.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-05-27, 03:30
Heh as someone who rarely attends his college classes, I can speak from experience that jintan's claims about the snowball effect are correct. Don't let yourselves fall into that trap guys :(.

Looks like you need a tsundere to get you motivated :D

Archon_Wing
2011-05-27, 03:40
Looks like you need a tsundere to get you to commit suicide :D

FYP... That's just how it rolls.

Edit: But that's just me on tsunderes.

Pellissier
2011-05-27, 04:23
By telling "Honma-san" they could actually refer either to the father or the mother. They showed us the mother saying weird things at the end, but the preview for this episode was definitely hinting at the father. So was the last scene the truth about the "final boss", or a red herring? Which one is the Honma-san the group needs to face now? Yet another cliffhanger.

Menma's mother had already referred to her daugther as "onee-chan", if you check episode 1. When Menma visits her house and the glass falls, you hear the father scolding his son, but at the same time Menma's mother says "nee-chan?" as to imply: "did you just drop that glass, Menma?"

Archon_Wing
2011-05-27, 04:45
Alright, I finished the episode. I think the highlight of this show is every time Anaru starts laughing at Jintan for overacting. :heh: They make quite a hillarious duo.

And they finally found out Menma's wish. Well, now up the long road.

Solid, and fun episode. It's nice to see everyone come together-- 9/10

_theBlue
2011-05-27, 05:01
Apparently I saw this on the site I'm watching AnoHana

” Plus, it’s kind of tiring to be around you.” but that’s not what Tsuruko meant… she said “It’s very hard to keep up with you”. She studies hard to be close to Yukiatsu, but the translator didn’t understand that. It was a sweet moment to show how much Tsuruko cares about Yukiatsu but the sub ruined it.

I just love Yukiatsu and Tsuruko together. And I'm srsly torn between Jinta/Anaru and Jinta/Menma. D;

Kanon
2011-05-27, 05:11
That was the best episode in a long time. A nice break from all the drama. We needed a breather, and this episode was perfect.

I've started that despite how cute she is (and she really was adorable in this episode), I don't really care about Menma herself. I'm far more interested in Jintan, Anal, Yukiatsu and Tsukurou. I like Poppo too, but the poor dude's such a fifth wheel :heh:

Excellent episode.

2. Related to the above, it's good how Jinta's strong points were highlighted well in this episode. It was good to see he's a very effective worker when he wants to be, and that there's a real reason why he was considered a good and likable leader back when he was a young kid.

3. Lovely relationship development between Jinta and Anaru. I like how its believably and gradually building up. I don't need to see any conclusive romance in this anime, but it would be a nice added bonus.

4. The overall handling of Menma's diary and associated flashbacks was just about flawless, I felt. Really worked well, and had a solid emotional impact. This was helped by the fact that...

5. Menma did not cry this episode. YES!!! Finally. :heh: Granted, she teared up a bit, but at least she didn't release actual water-works this episode. For me, taking a more subtle approach to the emotionality of a couple key scenes actually make them more effective. They felt less forced, and hence more authentic, to me that way.

All-told, a marvelous episode, with another good cliffhanger moment for this anime.

100% agreed on all accounts. Menma tearing up a bit instead of turning on the water-works made all the difference to me. It made it more genuine and less forced as you said.

I really really loved all the Jintan x Anal moments. It feels great to see them gradually get closer; although at this point, rather than getting closer, it would be more accurate to say they are going back to the way they were. Kind of wish Jinta hadn't started calling her Anal again though. That is such a terrible nickname :heh:
It was also good to see Jinta work so hard for Menma. This episode showcased why he was the leader of their group: he cares about others, is a hardworker, and isn't afraid to stand up to others to protect his friends, even if it means getting himself into troubles (total opposite of Yukiatsu :p ).

This episode makes me wonder if Yukiatsu knows Tsuruko actually likes him. Her (slightly) surprised expression when he asked her if she wanted to go out with him + her wearing the hairclip made me feel bad for her. I think I'm a bigger fan of this pairing than Jintan/Anaru. Having my two most favorite characters would be amazing. :D

I'm sure Yukiatsu knows about her feelings. However, since he still hasn't forgotten about Menma and therefore can't respond to them, he's trying not to address the issue for the time being. I think he likes her a lot too, but as long as he can't move past Menma, he can't get with her.

And they finally found out Menma's wish. Well, now up the long road.

I seriously doubt that is her wish. Seems kind of pointless to make those fireworks now that Jinta's mother is dead anyway...

The wish will most likely have to do with what she wanted to tell the gang. She intended to keep Jinta out of the loop, so I'm guessing it was a present for him or something along those lines.

winhlp32
2011-05-27, 05:38
Just wondering: Am I just naive, or are high school boys in Japan always ready to openly talk about how they want to "do it" with some girl they randomly encounter? I know sex is a common topic among that age, but she can like, hear you? My experience is that testosterone doesn't turn boys into jerks...well, not on the street anyway.

Episode Impressions:

Good episode. Looks like Irene is going to be an obstacle to fulfilling Menma's wish. I'm looking forward to seeing whether she is a manipulative woman or not.

I'm also enjoying the Yukiatsu and Tsuroko interactions reminds me a lot of how interactions between characters in Cross Game goes.

ID555
2011-05-27, 07:19
So... Menmama blames them for Menma's death?

Haak
2011-05-27, 07:25
Excellent episode.

Agree with this completely but I also want to add that it was also great seeing Tsuruko and Yukiatsu interact more aswell. I wouldn't mind them getting together either.

Also, it was great seeing all those posters in the shop. XD

Pellissier
2011-05-27, 07:34
So... Menmama blames them for Menma's death?
It's a theory, but it still doesn't flow well in my eyes. Why was she so kind and caring when they paid a visit in the past episode then? Besides, we did not witness what the father's reaction would be if he met them. Granted, at this point it seems we have one of Menma's parents being quite upset towards her friends, probably because they're considered at fault for her death (still a lot of "if" in the speculation since we stil don't know the name of the flower they saw that day, but we don't even know what exactly happened that day).

blewin
2011-05-27, 07:46
this episode feels a bit slow, but it's an emotional moment when Jinta and Menma both realise how much they care for each other (so bad that Menma is already dead). :(

the episode is entitled "Real Wish", so does that mean Menma's real wish is really the firework? or is it (as she said she feels great when watching him feeling alive) that her real wish is just to see Jinta?

ID555
2011-05-27, 07:52
It's a theory, but it still doesn't flow well in my eyes. Why was she so kind and caring when they paid a visit in the past episode then? Besides, we did not witness what the father's reaction would be if he met them. Granted, at this point it seems we have one of Menma's parents being quite upset towards her friends, probably because they're considered at fault for her death (still a lot of "if" in the speculation since we stil don't know the name of the flower they saw that day, but we don't even know what exactly happened that day).

That might show how broken she really is, because my untrained self heard her last line as 'You're f***ing kidding me, right?' (in a very monotone, serial killer manner :upset:)

I wonder how guys who know Japanese would translate that line?

Pellissier
2011-05-27, 08:23
That might show how broken she really is, because my untrained self heard her last line as 'You're f***ing kidding me, right?' (in a very monotone, serial killer manner :upset:)

I'm not japanese either, but she said "fuzaketeru wa ne?" , and I also take it in a range varying from "kidding me" (as in "They're kidding me, aren't they?) to "(stop) messing around", to even stronger meanings.

I've rewatched the last minutes, and the transition between the scene where the guys are told that the responsible is Honma-san and the scene at Menma's house is almost seamless, as to precisely indicate who's who. Although even Jintan's words aren't clear about it. He says "Menma`chi no..." , Menma`chi means Menma's family (as in house, household).
So it would be "The .... (?mother-father?) of Menma's household".

sledge
2011-05-27, 09:32
Pretty good episode, liked it better than the last few..

If she wanted to keep it a secret from Jintan then why was he there?
Well I remember it was Jintan himself who ran to the base to tell them about the new super peace busters name that he came up with, while all the others were already there.

roankun
2011-05-27, 09:38
This has been sitting in my mind since ep 5, but I'm really bothered about it right now.

Does Yukaitsu still not believe that Jintan can see Menma? I mean, (s)he said sorry about the hair clip thing right? No way that Jintan could know about that so... :confused:

EDIT: And "Honma-san" who talked to the fireworks guy... I assumed it was Menma's mother since they cut to her scene immediately, but was it her father??

ars89
2011-05-27, 09:51
Wow, my favorite ep so far.

Like how Jintan was lecturing Anaru about not going to school. He actually knows first hand about how missing days can harm someone. I don't think Anaru was wrong to say that he cares about other people because when he was younger he lead the pack and looked out for everyone. I think this ep showed how if Jintan puts his mind to something he can do it and lead others, making him look cool to them.

Best scene was when Anaru fell on top on Jintan and Poppo walked and and out in a heart beat. For some reason i felt bad when they were reading Menma's diary, just because Jinatn said something about memories he never had because they were hers only. Obviously they need to use it to somehow find her wish out.

Nice to see everyone some together again and try and work out a plan. I liked how Anaru still had their plan when they were kids, such a beautiful memory. I don't know if i believe Yukiatsu yet that Menma called them together but to not tell Jintan. Just because he holds a grudge still. Yukiatsu seemed stunned by Jintan's acknowledgement of being scared to ask her. I think that would be the easiest, but i don't think Menma remembers her wish yet. I think he was stunned because maybe he feels the same way in that he could not face her if he did saw her too because he feels responsible. So also it's a shock of being similar to Jintan.

Enjoyed them all working to save money. Nice to see Anaru and Jintan getting along again. Nice save by Jintan when those guys were talking about rumors about Anaru. Menma was so cute when not worrying about jIntan, but got so angry when she heard he was skipping school for work. When she realized that he was doing it all for her she was so happy again. I wonder if her wish really is the firworks because she remembered when overhearing Anaru and was touched. Liked how she moved the lights to illuminate his path so he wouldn't fall, i wonder if he realized it was her.

Wow so all that work just to be stopped by the head guy, who happens to be Menma's father. No way he would listen to them since he's past his daughter's death. Interesting how the Mom knew that they were all doing something for her. I didn't understand why she said it ws time to stop playing. I thought the mother would be really happy that they were doing something for her daughter whom she misses so much.?

miketyson
2011-05-27, 10:08
Just chiming in to reiterate that getting confirmation from a native Japanese speaker on that last line would be greatly appreciated.

I heard it two ways. The first I'm pretty sure is wrong (but would appreciate confirmation), and was "fusageteru wa ne" (塞げてるはね). The meaning of the verb (塞ぐ/fusagu, block/obstruct) fits really well with the "Menma's mom is evil/scary" theory, but if that grammar's not just outright wrong the meaning would be pretty weird (and I can't remember having ever seen it).

Second time I heard it as "ふざけてるはね" (fuzaketeru wa ne), like everyone else (well almost like everyone else, I keep hearing "wa ne" not "yo ne"). That seems right, and I do have a tendency to mishear voiced as unvoiced and vice-versa.

But if that's right: it seems like she's saying that affectionately to Menma, and not about Jinta's friends? Like the dialog is essentially "Menma, it seems like Jinta and his friends sure are doing all kinds of things on your behalf. *Pause*. You're goofing around, right?", with the same affection as when she described Menma as a bit of an airhead.

roankun: I think Yukiatsu might actually be the one who believes the most for the reason you said; all the rest seem to be just going along with it for various reasons. But, b/c Tsuruko somehow had that old hairclip she would've probably seen what happened with Menma and Yukiatsu, so it's very possible that when she gave Jinta his "mission" she also told Jinta about the hairclip (and what to tell Yukiatsu).

Soconfused
2011-05-27, 10:23
I could do without the cliche moments between Anaru and Jitan, yeah yeah we get it you two are gonna hook up, whatever, theres no need for "falling unto each other whist someone walks in and gets the wrong idea" scenes in an anime like this, it felt out of place, or moreso, unnecessary.

And looks like Menma's mom (and possible dad) are through.playing.GAMES. Those kids are snooping around a bit too much and they need to be stopped. Next episode will be quite a battle.

Pellissier
2011-05-27, 10:33
Second time I heard it as "ふざけてるはね" (fuzaketeru wa ne), like everyone else (well almost like everyone else, I keep hearing "wa ne" not "yo ne"). That seems right, and I do have a tendency to mishear voiced as unvoiced and vice-versa.

But if that's right: it seems like she's saying that affectionately to Menma, and not about Jinta's friends? Like the dialog is essentially "Menma, it seems like Jinta and his friends sure are doing all kinds of things on your behalf. *Pause*. You're goofing around, right?", with the same affection as when she described Menma as a bit of an airhead.
Indeed it's "wa ne", I was focused on the first part and misheard the rest. I don't dislike your take on the dialogue, since I'm more inclined to think it's the father.

On a related note, UTW subs are out and translate that line as "What a joke". Previously though, the whole discussion between the three and the fireworks' man has been translated as if they were talking of a female (she, her).

miketyson
2011-05-27, 10:42
On a related note, UTW subs are out and translate that line as "What a joke". Previously though, the whole discussion between the three and the fireworks' man has been translated as if they were talking of a female (she, her).

Yeah, I don't have time right this minute to go back and listen again but I distinctly remember that the main word used for the person the fireworks guy blabbed to was "yakuin" ("official"), and don't really remember hearing anything gender-specific.

It wouldn't be out of the question for the mother to be an "official", but it seems a lot more natural for the story progression for it to be the father (and it fits with how he was presented in ep1, and it'd be a little unusual to have a naturalized foreigner like the mom be some kind of official).

Triple_R
2011-05-27, 11:35
That was the best episode in a long time. A nice break from all the drama. We needed a breather, and this episode was perfect.

I totally agree.

I had joked to a couple fellow anime fans almost a week ago that I wished that we could somehow "trade" 10% of Anohana's drama to HanaSaku Iroha for 10% of HanaSaku Iroha's lightheartedness, as I felt that would make both shows even better.

Well, judging by the last episode of each show, maybe such a trade actually happened, lol.

The overall balance for both shows improved markedly over this past week, in my opinion. :)

I've started that despite how cute she is (and she really was adorable in this episode), I don't really care about Menma herself. I'm far more interested in Jinta, Anal, Yukiatsu and Tsukurou. I like Poppo too, but the poor dude's such a fifth wheel :heh:

Agreed.

The thing with Menma is that, ghost or hallucination, she is dead, and she's not coming back to life (I hope not, anyway, as a twist of that magnitude would probably be more than I could swallow, lol).

Since she's not coming back to life, I'm more interested in how the story ends for the rest of the Super Peace Busters, as I hope that they all achieve at least somewhat happy endings.

The two (potential) romances in particular (Jintan/Anaru, and Yukiatsu/Tsukurou) are the subplots that interest me the most.

I really really loved all the Jintan x Anal moments. It feels great to see them gradually get closer; although at this point, rather than getting closer, it would be more accurate to say they are going back to the way they were.

Good point.

Kind of wish Jinta hadn't started calling her Anal again though. That is such a terrible nickname :heh:

Do you know what Jinta calls Anaru when she displays a very good memory?

Anal Retentive. :p

... I'll be here all days, folks! :heh:

It was also good to see Jinta work so hard for Menma. This episode showcased why he was the leader of their group: he cares about others, is a hardworker, and isn't afraid to stand up to others to protect his friends, even if it means getting himself into troubles (total opposite of Yukiatsu :p ).

In fairness to Yukiatsu, he did come to Anaru's rescue.

I'm sure Yukiatsu knows about her feelings. However, since he still hasn't forgotten about Menma and therefore can't respond to them, he's trying not to address the issue for the time being. I think he likes her a lot too, but as long as he can't move past Menma, he can't get with her.

I think Yukiatsu is open to a relationship with Tsukurou, but he wants to take it slow, hence him suggesting a date that's not quite a date. Tsukurou probably wants something a bit more definitive than that, though. ;)

I seriously doubt that is her wish. Seems kind of pointless to make those fireworks now that Jinta's mother is dead anyway...

This is slated for 11 episodes, right? So 4 more to go after this one. Probably too much time to stretch out the fireworks plotline if shooting off fireworks ends up being the climax of the entire anime.

So, yeah, based on that I agree with you. Her wish is likely something else. But I do think that the fireworks thing will bring them closer to whatever it actually is.

The wish will most likely have to do with what she wanted to tell the gang. She intended to keep Jinta out of the loop, so I'm guessing it was a present for him or something along those lines.

It would be funny - cheesy, perhaps, but really funny - if the climax to this all is going through with a several years old plan for a surprise birthday party for Jinta and everything coincides with his actual birthday in the present. :heh:

Agree with this completely but I also want to add that it was also great seeing Tsuruko and Yukiatsu interact more aswell. I wouldn't mind them getting together either.

I would have mentioned that as well, except the subs led me astray. They led me astray by what theBlue brought up here...

Apparently I saw this on the site I'm watching AnoHana

” Plus, it’s kind of tiring to be around you.” but that’s not what Tsuruko meant… she said “It’s very hard to keep up with you”. She studies hard to be close to Yukiatsu, but the translator didn’t understand that. It was a sweet moment to show how much Tsuruko cares about Yukiatsu but the sub ruined it.

I just love Yukiatsu and Tsuruko together. And I'm srsly torn between Jinta/Anaru and Jinta/Menma. D;

When I read Tsuruko say "Plus, it's kind of tiring to be around you" that immediately made me think of something Makoto Ito once said about someone in School Days, and, well, let's just say that raised serious red flags for me. :heh:

But knowing what Tsuruko actually meant there, I'm fully onboard with Yukiatsu/Tsuruko myself now. :)

ID555
2011-05-27, 11:55

Nice, that sounds a lot more natural than the subs I have. I'm switching carriers! :heh:

Kaoru Chujo
2011-05-27, 12:04
...I just love Yukiatsu and Tsuruko together. And I'm srsly torn between Jinta/Anaru and Jinta/Menma. D;Menma is dead, so eventually it will be Jinta/Anaru, whatever happens. Menma finally leaving the scene will also be good for Yukiatsu/Tsuruko. Not that I want her to be dead.

I liked what they did with this episode, but the fact that there is little likelihood that the fireworks were Menma's real wish still grates on me. They just jumped on the first thing they saw in the diary, rather than reading the whole thing. I know it's all to set up the drama, but it seems so artificial. In a fairly realistic show like this, lack of realism in the details matters.

I think it's a possibility that Menma's dad misses her even more than the mum, so he can't even bear to have her stuff around. And whether or not he was Menma's dad, it would have been hard for him to approve of illegally involving under-18s in making fireworks.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-27, 12:26

I concur - I think the look Menmama gave the kids when they visited reflected that she regrets that they dropped out of her life when Menma died, not that she blames them. Especially Jinta - she looked like she recognized in him that was as unable to let go of Menma as she was.

Kaoru Chujo
2011-05-27, 13:53
I concur - I think the look Menmama gave the kids when they visited reflected that she regrets that they dropped out of her life when Menma died, not that she blames them. Especially Jinta - she looked like she recognized in him that was as unable to let go of Menma as she was.That's exactly what I thought I saw, too.

Izayoi
2011-05-27, 14:00
That is one tripping last line...

Flower
2011-05-27, 14:03
Interesting how the possible plot line of the fireworks that Kanon suggested above also works. It also makes the story sad, but does not add as much "raw" drama to the possible story like my speculation of a possible abusive family environment in Menma's home did. Actually, part of me is glad the latter seems to not be the case....

Three cheers for Jintan and Anaru getting closer too! :D

Things still are not clear, though, and the series is doing a masterful job at telling the story! :)

8/10 vote from me....

miketyson
2011-05-27, 15:36
Aside from that last line of dialog, this episode did have what for me is the saddest scene for me in this series so far: the scene where Jinta comes back and Menma's made him the raisin steamed bread. While they're eating Menma and Jinta both more-or-less lie to each other, more-or-less know the other is telling a lie, and more-or-less decide to go along with it to keep the other happy.

Saddest thing I've seen so far in this show, and it it makes me think Jinta's not going to wind up apologizing to Menma until it's "too late" (eg: right as or just after Menma's vanished / gone-to-heaven). Instead, he'll just get wrapped up in trying to grant her her wish and avoid making her sad and won't remember.

At least there's a balance, b/c seeing the contents of Menma's diary were by far the funniest thing for me so far. Such a comically anticlimactic revelation. It's easy to see why Menma's mom thought she was a bit of an airhead.

Also: is anyone else getting the sense this show's been "cut down" from an original story outline that was longer (eg: 13 episodes, or even a full 2-cour)? It's not a complaint, just a feeling.

CWW
2011-05-27, 15:49
I liked what they did with this episode, but the fact that there is little likelihood that the fireworks were Menma's real wish still grates on me. They just jumped on the first thing they saw in the diary, rather than reading the whole thing. I know it's all to set up the drama, but it seems so artificial. In a fairly realistic show like this, lack of realism in the details matters.
They already pointed out that most of her diary entries consist of the same line and that she isn't the greatest in written language. I'm fairly positive she didn't write about the day she wanted to meet everyone except Jinta, since that day was the day she died. As already pointed out, she isn't someone who writes detailed entries anyway. It seems silly to spend precious screentime on them analyzing the diary when it's easier to infer that it's full of fluff.

You might infer that the fireworks isn't Menma's wish in the end, but they don't. It seems pretty obvious in their point of view, since they even went out of their way to design the fireworks, and it had a clear purpose: the fireworks was supposed to cheer up Jinta's mother. It's a more plausible wish than catching Nokemon at any rate. If you really want to blame the writers, blame the fact that Jinta is reluctant to discuss with Menma about her wish.

PS. The amount of Tsuruko x Yukiatsu fans in here is disturbing my inner fangirl. Anaru x Jinta for eva!

ChainLegacy
2011-05-27, 15:54
I'm fond of the Anjou and Yadomi pairing as well. Given his background, he deserves someone by his side, as Anjou herself alluded to in an earlier episode. My only question is if there will be a conflict with Menma's ghost regarding the issue. Further, Yadomi may be held back from pursuing such feelings due to his regret in insulting Menma prior to her death. I wonder what is making him wait to apologize for that incident. Is he too afraid to broach the subject, even with the ghost, or is he unsure when an appropriate time to do so would be?

I've started that despite how cute she is (and she really was adorable in this episode), I don't really care about Menma herself. I'm far more interested in Jintan, Anal, Yukiatsu and Tsukurou. I like Poppo too, but the poor dude's such a fifth wheel :heh:

I agree, but I think in the next few episodes Menma will become more interesting. We've yet to really get a firm grasp on her end of the story.

LusterFlare
2011-05-27, 16:04
I wonder what is making him wait to apologize for that incident. Is he too afraid to broach the subject, even with the ghost, or is he unsure when an appropriate time to do so would be?

Perhaps in the back of Jintan's mind, he feels that once he apologizes, Menma would disappear. Maybe he still isn't ready for that yet.

TurkeyPotPie
2011-05-27, 16:08
My favorite part of this episode was the kids' idea to build a rocket and then everyone's reaction to seeing the plans again as teens. That little bit rang so true; kids can get into some crazy dangerous situations sometimes. :heh:

miketyson
2011-05-27, 16:10
Also: in the first flashback in episode 1 Menma-the-kid told Jintan-the-kid that she had a wish she wanted Jintan to grant (it's right before the OP starts). Jinta might actually know what her wish is, and it might be something he is too afraid to bring up to Menma -- since she doesn't seem to remember it -- and he's hoping something else will be her wish.

Kanon
2011-05-27, 16:17
In fairness to Yukiatsu, he did come to Anaru's rescue.

Yes, but even he admitted he rescued her in a cowardly way (or as he said it, smart way). He had no intention of putting himself in danger for her. Jinta would have just punched that guy or ask him to rape him instead (hey, it's be consistent with what he's been doing so far - diverting the attention from Anaru to himself :heh: )

PS. The amount of Tsuruko x Yukiatsu fans in here is disturbing my inner fangirl. Anaru x Jinta for eva!

I support both pairings. There is no conflict of interest. Jinta is paired up with Anaru, Yukiatsu with Tsuruko (why do I always write Tsukuro?), Poppo with his hand. Perfect.

CWW
2011-05-27, 16:23
Yes, there is conflict! There is always conflict in shipping wars! Every second spent on the other pairing could have been spent on this pairing! Rawr!

kitten320
2011-05-27, 16:58
Well Menma's mum was weird from the moment they came to visit her, the look she was giving them from behind was not the most pleasant one. I guess she might have lost it once Menma died and still didn't over come it. She probably will be the next traget for redemption like Yukiatsu.

How exactly do those pairings stand in each others way? They are not even related. Now if it was Yukiatsu/Anaru and Jinta/Tsuruko, I would get your problem.

DragoZERO
2011-05-27, 19:29
Good episode. The cute Anaru moments are so fun. I just wonder where this is all leading to exactly.

Raiga
2011-05-27, 20:46
Ah man, the kid flashbacks this episode... I'm supposed to be too young to be having nostalgia but this episode just...

That one line Anaru said, about how when you're a kid you look up to the "big kids" and think they can do anything, but then you grow up and realize it was the other way around. That really hit home.

ahelo
2011-05-27, 21:17
Episode 7 (http://traveleronrevenge.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/anohana-07-evil-mom/)

Besides the obvious Anaru Tsundere-ing which was on higher volume this week, it looks like the focus of the series this time is on the mom. That shading in her face in the end of the episode tells everything!

Anh_Minh
2011-05-27, 23:07
What the hell was up with Menma's mom?

Excorsism
2011-05-28, 00:14
Jintan was definitely pretty cool this episode. Go leader!

Kopi
2011-05-28, 06:45
Started watching this series yesterday and seriously.. why didn't I start this earlier?

So this time's wish about the fireworks seems to be Menma's true wish. Or Not.

Anyway Menma's mom was :uhoh: and +point to Jintan for helping Anaru again!

guuchan
2011-05-28, 12:08
Very heartwarming episode. As much as I hate to repeat, it is yet another simple but powerful episode. So yes, for those who were speculating domestic abuse or whatever, I would suggest you dropping the idea because that is really not what this show is about. :heh:

And we found out what the line in previous episode's preview meant. It indeed should be taken literally, interestingly. :o

Indeed it's "wa ne", I was focused on the first part and misheard the rest. I don't dislike your take on the dialogue, since I'm more inclined to think it's the father.

First of all, yes, the line is indeed "fuzaketeru wa ne". Fuzakeru is usually translated as "what a joke/you gotta be kidding me" in English subbing, but that is just one of the ways the term can be interpretated. Other than meaning kidding/nonsense/making fun of, it can mean 2 more things:

1. Flirting between a man and a woman; or
2. Kids/animals messing around/making a fuss.

And in this case, it's the 2nd one. Menma's mom was still talking about Jinta and others, not Menma. The 2 lines are connected together, so the whole dialogue is:

"Onee-chan (Menma), Jinta-kun and others seem to be working really hard for your sake." (not working as literally working even though they did "work")

"They are really messing around."

As noted by miketyson, she said that affectionately, so she wasn't blaming them or anything. She simply meant they went too far to fulfill Menma's wish, trying to get an adult to make fireworks for them.

miketyson
2011-05-28, 16:25
quuchan: thanks. Would Menma's mom's remarks be consistent with a theory like: "Menma's mom has a pretty good guess at what might cause Menma's ghost to appear and ask Jinta for help. She thinks it's a bit cute the way Menma's old friends are trying to help out, but they'd have to know the things they're doing aren't what Menma's ghost actually came back for?"

cyth: Before this episode I was really loving it -- it was legitimately good, kept me wanting to find out what was really going on. It had the extra hook that it was that rare show that I could mostly follow in raw form -- even with my vestigial language skills -- and was also pretty good. Usually it's one or the other: I can follow it without subs but it's not good enough to hold my interest, or it's good but I'm basically lost w/out subs.

After this episode it's reminding me of what I thought of Planetes, which was a show I could intellectually observe was really well-made in all kinds of ways but somehow still left me feeling flat and unengaged; I could see it was good and well made but it just didn't have any magic for me.

The change in outlook from this episode is that before this episode it seemed like there'd be a lot of "big things" left to happen -- is Menma a ghost or Jinta's imagination? Poppo faking his travels? does Jinta have a disease? was Menma's family abusive? -- but the way this episode went it seemed to close the book on most of those "big possibilities".

I'm still quite curious to see how it all wraps up, but after ep7 the show seems a lot smaller-scale and down-to-earth than before, and that's taking some of the excitement out of it for me.

Pellissier
2011-05-29, 00:50
Just to inform its participants, I've moved the current discussion about "general feelings about AnoHana and other spring shows at this point of time" in the generic thread.

How many times do I need to tell you that these widely spread overviews do not belong to a specific episode thread, since they break the flow and prevent actual episode discussion to people who'd wish to do so.

guuchan
2011-05-29, 02:01
quuchan: thanks. Would Menma's mom's remarks be consistent with a theory like: "Menma's mom has a pretty good guess at what might cause Menma's ghost to appear and ask Jinta for help. She thinks it's a bit cute the way Menma's old friends are trying to help out, but they'd have to know the things they're doing aren't what Menma's ghost actually came back for?"

I doubt Menma's mom is aware of the "ghost". She associated the fireworks with Menma either because she heard from Menma before when Menma was alive, or she read Menma's diary. I seriously doubt she knows what the wish of Menma is, nor she is aware that they are doing it for Menma's "ghost". That comment was more like a comment from a sensible adult with a tone betraying her real thoughts. "The kids are going too far but I surely appreciate what they are doing for Menma."

Syntron
2011-05-29, 03:24
Good episode, but i think the firework arc is a red herring. While the title may reference a firework explosion, im more inclined to belive it references the dried flowers we saw in episode 1 and the blossums we see... everywhere in the ED and OP. Menma wanted to keep something a secret before Jintan, that must be related to her true wish. Unless i got confused at some point, ep7 wasn't too clear about the firework incident beeing real or imagined.

Sides
2011-05-29, 03:41
I gave it a 10, because there was a Wagnaria!! poster in the background ^^

guuchan
2011-05-29, 10:36
Good episode, but i think the firework arc is a red herring. While the title may reference a firework explosion, im more inclined to belive it references the dried flowers we saw in episode 1 and the blossums we see... everywhere in the ED and OP. Menma wanted to keep something a secret before Jintan, that must be related to her true wish. Unless i got confused at some point, ep7 wasn't too clear about the firework incident beeing real or imagined.

Note the timing when the title appears - it's right after Yukiatsu saying Menma asked everyone to gather without Jinta knowing and Tsuruko saying "Menma did?", so the "True Wish" most likely refers to that. As for the rocket firework scene, it's imaginery.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-29, 10:46

I think it's possible that everything is effectively a red herring - the fireworks, the wish, Menma's existence itself. Maybe the series is just a bunch of unhappy kids, Menma mysteriously appears to one of them, they rediscover their friendship and love of life through that mystery. The end. I'm sure the general reaction to that would be amusingly ballistic, but I'd personally love it...

broken270
2011-05-29, 10:56
The fireworks scene when they were kids really did it for me. I find it funny that when we were young, we tend to think that the adults have all the power and free time in the world. By the time we are of our age, we think that the children are the ones who feel as though they could do whatever they want. This is true even in real life. Much nostalgia is seen here. At the very least, the whole gang was there to discuss about the possibility of the wish being to fly a rocket. And it was all about to come true, too. Jinta started to work in multiple jobs, both with Anaru and Poppo respectively (so, that is how Poppo had so much money to travel all over the place, working in jobs like that). Jinta asking his father to ask a friend who knows how to make fireworks to help him out. And then, at the middle of it all, the dude who promised said no. Of course, Jinta and the gang were angry, but then they figure out that the person in charge of the fireworks festival was none other than Menma's mother. She thinks they are going a bit too far to grant her wish; therefore, she tells him not to create any fireworks for her. This is going to be a big obstacle for the gang if they want to try out if this wish is going to work.

What I am more concerned about it Yukiatsu, who seems to have some knowledge about what Menma's wish could truly be. Tsuruko seems to know it as well. I find it odd that Menme called everyone other than Jinta to visit her in the club place. Do Poppo and Anaru know of something like this? Had Yukiatsu or Tsuruko said something about it to the two of them, would they have had some recollection as to what the conversation was about that day eight years ago?

Kanon
2011-05-29, 11:20
I think it's possible that everything is effectively a red herring - the fireworks, the wish, Menma's existence itself. Maybe the series is just a bunch of unhappy kids, Menma mysteriously appears to one of them, they rediscover their friendship and love of life through that mystery. The end. I'm sure the general reaction to that would be amusingly ballistic, but I'd personally love it...

But what would happen to Menma in this scenario? The series is obviously focused on the characters more than on the wish, but it's still an important plot point. I guess they could just say Menma's wish was for everyone to be happy and have disappear then... it'd be corny but that could work. We know she always put others before herself after all.

taichi-kun
2011-05-29, 11:30
sorry, but how many years have passed since menma's death ??

Nice episode, I love anaru-jinta moments! and yukitrap-tsuruko!

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-29, 12:10
But what would happen to Menma in this scenario? The series is obviously focused on the characters more than on the wish, but it's still an important plot point. I guess they could just say Menma's wish was for everyone to be happy and have disappear then... it'd be corny but that could work. We know she always put others before herself after all.

That's a fair question. I still say you could start the series with a mystery and end it with a mystery - I don't think you need to explain just what Menma is and why she was there, but she does need an "ending" just like everyone else. Perhaps it's as simple as her seeing Jinta happy - maybe even with Anaru - and realizing it's time to move on. I suspect they'd come up with something more poetical than that, but who knows what that might be.

I will say this. If you look at Mari Okada's series - the ones where she seems to really be in control of the writing process - I think she tends to favor understated, thoughtful endings over grandiose, theatrical ones.

miketyson
2011-05-29, 14:47
guuchan: thanks again. I don't think it's likely that Menma's mom is aware of Menma's ghost right now, but she's been shown to be the only character who'd try to interpret events as having been caused by Menma's ghost (cf ep 1). So I can see the thought of "is Menma somehow communicating with Jinta (and/or his friends)?" having crossed her mind at some point during or after the visit in ep6. So it's not "she knows Menma's ghost is here" but more "the possibility has occurred to her".

What had been confusing me had been how she'd drawn the connection between the fireworks and the kids doing stuff for Menma, but I'd failed to think through the implications of handing over the diary. Even if Menma's mom had never read the diary, the fact she gave it to the kids and a week later finds out about the fireworks should be enough to piece it together.

Q: what do you make of Menma directly telling Jinta she has a wish for him right at the start of ep 1?

In terms of red herrings: I'm voting the fireworks to be half a red herring. It won't be Menma's wish, but will probably carry on to the end of the show. I say this not based on any in-show clues but b/c fireworks would be a useful prop to have for staging some tearjerker scenes in the finale.

creb
2011-05-29, 14:47

I'm not sure why they'd be ballistic about that, since that's what makes the most sense.

Reading the ever convoluted and whacked out theories of what seems like a fairly simple story about revitalizing lapsed friendships just makes me giggle like a little girl every week.

Maybe everyone is still on the crazy theory high from last season's Madoka or something. :p

Deconstructor
2011-05-29, 18:26
Another excellent episode from the already legendary Anohana.

My favorite part is the ending - Menma's mother, a side character I thought would disappear into relative obscurity, turns out to be the largest obstacle in the Super Peace Busters' quest to fulfill Menma's wish. "How foolish," she states at Menma's memorial shrine. Only one thing is definite: A confrontation between Jinta and Menma's mother.

The scene where Menma turns on the light so Jinta can see the road ahead is wonderful. As a metaphor, it's both heartwarming and meaningful. Easily one of the best scenes I've seen this entire anime season.

Rockets and fireworks also serve as a great symbol of childhood dreams. They're hard to make, and good ones are expensive as well. But when you get that collage of paper and plastic flying in the air... there's no feeling more uplifting (literally) in this world. When the firework explodes, it's a marvelous sight.

And then, it's gone. Over. The rocket disappears from sight; the fireworks flicker back into the darkness of the night sky. You're left with a feeling of emptiness as the festival ends and you return to cruel, harsh reality. Your hard work, day after day, vanishes in air. And all you can do is go back to work for the next 350 days, waiting for the next festival to come.

Then you get older. The brief explosions of joy and happiness no longer have any effect. In fact, it just makes you sad. At your age, you've lost some people close to you; whether it be your best friend or a family member. You realize these people are like fireworks, and they don't last forever.

I'm sure most people have a more pleasant interpretation of fireworks, but I'm trying to take the role of Menma's mother and understand why she would intentionally impede Jinta's quest to fulfill Menma's last wish.

Okay, so we know Poppo's not some rich vagrant in disguise. Unless his personality is according to his plan... fool Jinta and company into making fools of themselves, then laugh at them all for being failures at life! No, I doubt it.

Has Jinta ever considered exploiting Menma for free muffin labor? 25 muffins a day would probably add enough money for the fireworks... and if they sell well enough, Jinta could create his own little muffin franchise. "Just the way my deceased mother and late best friend would make them." - the slogan. Heh... I'm kidding.

Episode 7 Rating: 9/10

winkel
2011-05-30, 01:04
Wow, totally did not expect that from Menma's mom. Wicked...

And I'm in the camp where Menma is a real ghost, and her wish is that everyone is able to get their lives together, be reunited again, and be able to move on from her, and that'll be the ending.

Though I was initially in the Yadomi's hallucinatin' camp, it doesn't seem so plausible now with how much Menma's been able to mess around in the real world.

guuchan
2011-05-30, 06:26
guuchan: thanks again. I don't think it's likely that Menma's mom is aware of Menma's ghost right now, but she's been shown to be the only character who'd try to interpret events as having been caused by Menma's ghost (cf ep 1). So I can see the thought of "is Menma somehow communicating with Jinta (and/or his friends)?" having crossed her mind at some point during or after the visit in ep6. So it's not "she knows Menma's ghost is here" but more "the possibility has occurred to her".

You're welcome, even though it seems the late posters above didn't see my explanation and gathering from the posts here, none of the subs out there gives the right message. They all make Menma's mom looks like some freak show. :heh: That's how destructive one mistranslated sentence can be. Anyway, I agree with you on the mentality of Menma's mom.

To those who think the barrier that Jinta and others will be facing is Menma's mom other than the reason stated above: the conversation in the episode didn't imply if it's Menma's dad or mom that the firework guy was referring to, but as mentioned by someone previously, the preview hinted at Menma's dad.

sorry, but how many years have passed since menma's death ??

10 years, hence the ED song title.

karice67
2011-05-30, 07:54
10 years, hence the ED song title.Actually, the "10 years after" refers to the fact it's a cover of a song originally released in 2001. Also, go back to ep. 2, where Jintan mentions that the Nokemon Gold came out 5 years previously - seems to indicate it's been around 5 years.

Finally, it seems like they're in the first year of high school atm (15-16 years old) - 10 years ago, they'd have been 5...and even in Japan, parents wouldn't let their 5 year olds hang out in the relatively abandoned area where the secret base is, methinks. :heh:

Agree with you on Menma's Mum being rather benign though, and the Dad being the town hall officer the fireworks guy was talking about. I'm watching this without subs, so I've been wondering why everyone was so negative about Menma's mother...

guuchan
2011-05-30, 09:22
Actually, the "10 years after" refers to the fact it's a cover of a song originally released in 2001. Also, go back to ep. 2, where Jintan mentions that the Nokemon Gold came out 5 years previously - seems to indicate it's been around 5 years.

Finally, it seems like they're in the first year of high school atm (15-16 years old) - 10 years ago, they'd have been 5...and even in Japan, parents wouldn't let their 5 year olds hang out in the relatively abandoned area where the secret base is, methinks. :heh:

You're right, I mixed it up, 'cause I somehow got the idea from something Jinta said in one of the episodes (unfortunately I don't have the luxury time to dig through the episodes to find it) that a considerable number of years had passed - hope it's not my memory messing with me. :heh:

TakezoMusashi
2011-05-30, 21:48
Wasn't Menma alive when she first mentioned a wish to Jinta?(when they were kids)
If so then why is everyone saying her wish is probably about getting over her death.
She couldn't have known she would die.

Triple_R
2011-05-30, 22:37

Speaking personally, I don't have a problem with a simple story. I don't have a problem with a story that's simply about friendship and love of life in a general sense. After all, I largely enjoyed K-On!!, and that's basically what that anime was about.

But then, if that's the simple story that the writer wants to tell, then I think that it's bad form to throw out persistent red herrings that naturally cause viewers to expect more than that.

The premise and plot of a piece of fiction, any piece of fiction, will tend to create a certain expectation level in the minds of readers or viewers.

What I mean by that, is that if you have an ever-present plot point of, say, "Who killed Mr. Jones?", then readers are naturally going to expect to have that question answered by the end, and for the answer to be something understandable and concrete.

In this anime, the plot point of "What is Menma's wish?" has become almost as ever-present as a "Who killed Mr. Jones?" sort of question is in a murder mystery novel.

So viewers are naturally going to expect an understandable and concrete answer to this almost ever-present plot point and question. Otherwise, many viewers will be disappointed and/or underwhelmed, and it won't be their own fault.

No viewer chose to foist the "What is Menma's wish?" plot point unto Okada, and ask her to come up with a good answer to it. She herself chose to make that an almost ever-present plot point, and that's probably not something a writer should do unless they have a good resolution in store for a plot-driving mystery of their own creation and promotion.

So yes, I expect a good, concrete answer to "What is Menma's wish?". Okada has given every reason for viewers to expect a good, concrete answer to that question. Now, I don't expect the wish to be something beyond what a young girl could believably conceive of, so I'm fully prepared for it to be "down to Earth", so to speak. But a plot point of this frequency and significance should not be just hand-waved away into the ether. It calls for and deserves a good, concrete answer.

Now, I'm confident that Okada will deliver one. She is a very good writer, after all.

But if she doesn't, and some viewer disappointment arises from that, it won't be the fault of viewers for expecting something that they have been given every reason to expect.

Guardian Enzo
2011-05-31, 02:36
I think a lot of the frenzy over "What is Menma's wish?" and indeed, "What is Menma?" is projection. They've been much more of a topic here than they have in the series itself.

That said, it's true that they certainly have been a topic in the canon material. So I expect, as you say, that Mari-san will give some sort of closure to those questions in the end - the show won't simply roll credits while pretending those questions don't exist. I simply think they won't be the focus of the final episode - merely a step along the way, with the characters realizing that there were other things that were more important. I don't think she owes us a scientific white paper on the nature of Menma, and I think it's debatable whether she owes us a specific answer on the wish. I could understand why someone would be nettled if we don't get one, but it won't matter all that much to me.

Sometimes, you have to accept that the question is more important than the answer, and the journey more important than the destination. Thus it may end up being with Menma's nature - and that would be perfectly fine with me.

DragoonKain3
2011-05-31, 09:12
Odd, I was under the impression that 6 years has passed since Menma's death. I was pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere in the series, but I can't remember exactly where.

And wow, the person trying to stop the gang from making the fireworks is in the Honma household? Interesting. Who's the final boss? lols

In any case, YukiaTsuruko so awesome this episode. I dunno, but the rarity of shipping clues for them makes every bit more enjoyable than the numerous, blatant JintAnaru we're getting.

I particularly liked Tsuruko's 'all or nothing' attitude... "I don't want to go out for tea as friends, but on a full fledged date as couple" is basically what she's trying to say. Though to be fair, I find it more sweet on Yukiatsu's part in taking things slowly (if he is indeed meaning it that way), as it's just more fun to watch than just blatantly asking her out like he did with Anaru (though I think Tsuruko would rather have it that way). And seeing Tsuruko working so hard just to keep up with Yukiatsu in grades (and presumably she has done it before so they can go to the same high school they go to now)... d'aww.

foxnaught
2011-05-31, 16:13
Menma's mother had already referred to her daugther as "onee-chan", if you check episode 1. When Menma visits her house and the glass falls, you hear the father scolding his son, but at the same time Menma's mother says "nee-chan?" as to imply: "did you just drop that glass, Menma?"

When I first saw her I thought, "Ah man, she looks a little mental", but I completed missed the onee-chan bit. The woman is getting creepy though

However, I'm glad I'm sticking with this series. At first I felt this series was going to be rather generic, however I'm happy to see how the characters are developing, especially Yadomi, although my favourite character interactions has to be Matsuyuki and Tsurumi.

It would be funny - cheesy, perhaps, but really funny - if the climax to this all is going through with a several years old plan for a surprise birthday party for Jinta and everything coincides with his actual birthday in the present.

I'll probably punch my monitor in rage at the cheesiness.

TakezoMusashi
2011-05-31, 22:52
^And I would laugh before going on a killing spree.
The cheeseness being to much for me to handle.

FlareKnight
2011-05-31, 23:24
But what would happen to Menma in this scenario? The series is obviously focused on the characters more than on the wish, but it's still an important plot point. I guess they could just say Menma's wish was for everyone to be happy and have disappear then... it'd be corny but that could work. We know she always put others before herself after all.When the series started I kind of thought Menma's wish was going to be something like that. Everyone being scattered and divided, with her wish being at the center of things. Maybe everyone pulling together for this or some other effort would be enough for her to move on and have the series end.

Leo_Otaku
2011-05-31, 23:39
Just started watching this show a week ago. I love it XD. Even funnier how it reminds me of KEY works and them having a Busters in their group name lolz

I wonder what is up with the mother >.> I too enjoyed the scene where they all look at their plans they made when they were kids. So amusing!

foxnaught
2011-06-01, 13:50
I too enjoyed the scene where they all look at their plans they made when they were kids. So amusing!

I remember making plans like that. Thankfully, it hardly ever came to fruition because our parents weren't stupid and kept an eye on us :p

icatero
2011-06-01, 16:33
Odd, I was under the impression that 6 years has passed since Menma's death. I was pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere in the series, but I can't remember exactly where.

And wow, the person trying to stop the gang from making the fireworks is in the Honma household? Interesting. Who's the final boss? lols

In any case, YukiaTsuruko so awesome this episode. I dunno, but the rarity of shipping clues for them makes every bit more enjoyable than the numerous, blatant JintAnaru we're getting.

I particularly liked Tsuruko's 'all or nothing' attitude... "I don't want to go out for tea as friends, but on a full fledged date as couple" is basically what she's trying to say. Though to be fair, I find it more sweet on Yukiatsu's part in taking things slowly (if he is indeed meaning it that way), as it's just more fun to watch than just blatantly asking her out like he did with Anaru (though I think Tsuruko would rather have it that way). And seeing Tsuruko working so hard just to keep up with Yukiatsu in grades (and presumably she has done it before so they can go to the same high school they go to now)... d'aww.

I agree with everything you said about YukiaTsuruko. :D
The vagueness of their ship in comparison to JintAnaru makes it more.. desirable? Hopefully they'll end up together in the end. :)

(and I think it's kind of cool how out of those two couples, 2 letters of each of their names can make them fuse together)

~Yami~
2011-06-03, 17:15
hahaha.... love JintAnaru so much in this episode....
finally Jinta can find something that make his youth more useful...

I never expect Menma's mother will be the one who prevent them..... aaahhh... what is happening??!!!

*going to watch ep 8 right now*