PDA

View Full Version : AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Discussion / Poll

Pellissier
2011-06-23, 05:03
Welcome to the discussion thread for AnoHana, Episode 11 (END).

Thread Guidelines
Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_pm_explain), or seek out a more appropriate thread.
Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.

Episode Thread Spoiler Policy

Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=animesuki_faq#faq_spoilerpolicy) for more information.
Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a useful title!
Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

guuchan
2011-06-23, 09:58
Showing off the new avatar made by Pellissier.

Kidding. :p Just tempted to post something before the episode airs, have to say I'm quite excited over the expectation of a finale that I don't expect to bring me much excitement story-wise (other than what flower it is). It's a pretty refreshing feeling.

fazer
2011-06-23, 10:27
This is probably the best anime I have watched in a long while, I look forward to every episode eagerly...and now its ending...sob

deadite
2011-06-23, 11:45
So much crying, laughing and shouting in that order!

Mizz-Bubblez
2011-06-23, 11:46
I am guessing you have watched it?

Was it a satisfying ending?

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 11:54
Anyone know when it's coming out?

deadite
2011-06-23, 12:07
Jinta lost his Menma vision. They played Japanese Hide and Seek so Menma would appear in front of them. Oh and a Forget-me-not

relentlessflame
2011-06-23, 12:09
Anyone know when it's coming out?It started aired in Japan at 1:15am Friday local time, which is just about an hour ago now.

Mizz-Bubblez
2011-06-23, 12:09
Thank You. <3

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 12:13
Damn, I can't wait to watch! Hopefully it gives us a satisfying ending...

Also, I'm trying extremely hard to ignore that spoiler post...trying...failing...NO! STAY STRONG!

deadite
2011-06-23, 12:15
Anaru vs Tsuruko catfight was glorious

Mizz-Bubblez
2011-06-23, 12:17
^ WHAT?

Anything on the pairing front?

Haruchin
2011-06-23, 12:18
Fantastic ^^

deadite
2011-06-23, 12:19
Jinta returns Anaru's hankey from episode 8 but is ambushed by Aki and Haruna. Tsuruko and Yukiatsu hanging in the train with Tsuruko wearing the clip Yukiatsu had in his drawer. Also, Poppo working and studying txtbooks at the same time

Sebasu
2011-06-23, 12:20
Oh my god I got so much tears on my eyes and I don't know if they are from the drama or because I laughed too hard. :heh:
I was jumping on my seat during the entire episode especially the first half because the tension is very heavy. Like, Tsuruko breaking down and judo-ing Anaru almost made me think that everyone would start killing each other :heh:

I feel so bad for Poppo! Poor big guy.

So much secondhand embarrassment, you know, that feeling when you are the one feeling embarrassed for what the characters are doing, especially when they are all crying and YELLING out so damn hard. Oh dear. xD

Menma's wish is very simple but it was still touching.

The epilogue left me wanting for more though. I'm surprised Anaru is still sticking with her wh0re friends, but it seems like they accepted Jinta? Also that train moment with Yukiatsuruko was too cute! I was grinning like an idiot.

Overall, AnoHana's finale left me with a smile on my face. Excellent and flawless in terms of entertainment. It's just sad that one of my favorite show this season ends.

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 12:23
I have no willpower...

roon
2011-06-23, 12:25
…Menma. Well, Forget-me-not/勿忘草.

Not extremely satisfied with the finale, but I'll let it sink in for a bit.
Wasn't terrible by any means, though.

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 12:52
Now I really can't wait for the episode to be subbed...

miketyson
2011-06-23, 13:39
The final episode itself seemed like a step down from earlier episodes, but I'm mostly happy with the way the stories ended for each of the characters. I don't want to spoil anything important for anyone so I'll hold off on detailed commentary for now, but I'll say these things:

This episode was almost comically full of the characters crying. I mean, I cried a fair amount at times, but there were parts where I had to laugh at just how much weeping was going on..

I now am pretty confident this show had to have started out as a 13 episode series and got compressed to 11 to fit into the noitamina timeslot.

Usually when an anime goes to stupid town in the last episode it's because the plot does something completely idiotic. That's not what happened here, and big-picture-wise this anime ended very very well. Any issues I have with the ending are about its being a little too maudlin in a few of the scenes.

gecd
2011-06-23, 13:54
I cried
from three anime that end this day
this is the best!!!!!!!

ZGMF-X10A
2011-06-23, 14:09
Meh, finale was not as good as I expected. The previous episode made me cry but this episode didn't. I think it could have been better

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 14:23
The RAWS are up, but I'd rather actually understand what they're saying...

deadite
2011-06-23, 14:35
Shrine scene stole the episode for me! Props to Poppos and Tsuruko's VA for giving us unexpected performance.

Darknemo2000
2011-06-23, 14:58
Meh, finale was not as good as I expected. The previous episode made me cry but this episode didn't. I think it could have been better

Yeah I had the same impression. Though to tell the truth another episode did not make me cry either, but it certainly felt more touching than this one.

deadite
2011-06-23, 15:01
What are the chances of a BD bonus episode?

.x.crii.x.
2011-06-23, 15:28
^ Dunno. Angel Beats only had a 3 minute bonus I think.

Plus, AnoHana gave an epilogue while Angel Beats kind of didn't. But still, crossing fingers on my end!

pampz21
2011-06-23, 17:42
Owari da!

Menma RIP forevah!

fazer
2011-06-23, 19:24
The ending didn't disappoint me , its rather predictable but the execution was rather good a bit rush though.

Looks like everyone(well except poor Poppo as usual) has the potential to pair up from the epilogue, Yukiatsu is still hanging around with Tsuruko but seems to appreciate her more, Jinta is going to school and seems to be hanging around with Anjo and her "friends".

Sob...RIP Menma.

Texas84
2011-06-23, 19:38
Wow. I haven't been so worked up since Ushio in Clannad. Fantasic story, fantastic ending. Perfect 10. No complaints. Thank you to everyone involved.

ars89
2011-06-23, 19:41
cried, don't have words right now.

ThereminVox
2011-06-23, 19:45
Very little on the surprise side, but we'd wrapped up most of the mysteries already. All that was left was to watch it play out.

Menma's purpose, as many of us expected, was to help Jintan through his time of grief (first his mother's death, but of course it just got worse), which they expressed as helping him "cry" again. Seems a little weird that Menma gathered everyone that day to bring Jintan to tears, but I guess she WAS a kid, and that might seem the simplest way to stop him from holding it all inside. :heh:

Everyone gets to see Menma for a minute before she goes for good. Appropriately, the Busters are depicted literally searching for Menma, since that's what the whole series has been about, emotionally. The point is driven home when Jintan declares "If we don't find you, it will never end". That really was the problem all along.

Also as expected, given how far from resolution the love polygons were in episode 10, we don't end with any happy couples, but there's plenty of teasing that such things may be just over the horizon. I approve of the way the group of friends was universally depicted in the temple scene. In their own way, they are all selfish, emotionally stunted, and tormented by some level of self-loathing, but each and every one has the strength to grow, and move past these problems. In the end, they are loyal to each other.

The show's been strong enough throughout, and the conflict so well-defined that all they really had to do this episode was stick the landing, and finish strong. I think they did that. Maybe it wasn't a blow-away finale, but it hit all the notes it needed to. And as for the admittedly extensive sobbing scenes, at least they spent the brief season building up reasons for them. So I didn't mind them.

Riga92
2011-06-23, 19:58
The ending was expected, but was executed very well. I'll admit, throughout this whole anime, I haven't managed to cry, but this episode finally let me shed a few bitch tears.

9/10

ipodi
2011-06-23, 20:14
Thanks for the 3-month emotional roller-coaster and for rekindling my childhood memories that have been long buried somewhere.

Midnight Bliss
2011-06-23, 20:14
I cried. and my bestfriend was sobbing.
Perfect 10 for this episode, for this series. GOD. My god Menma, and Tsuruko. ;_; MENMA.

Roxasvsriku
2011-06-23, 20:17
I probably would have cried if it weren't for the annoying yelling at the end. But other than that it was pretty predictable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Still a very good last episode and overall a great series, very glad I stuck with this one. I couldn't help but feel bad for Menma at the end after granting Jintan's mom's wish. :(

Series overall: Solid 9/10

katsudon
2011-06-23, 20:17
this is a fantastic episode for a fantastic series.. what else can i say.

there are no twists and surprises. enjoy it guys.

TrippedUp
2011-06-23, 20:19
Aww hell!! That was a freakin great ending!!

I knew the wish had something to do with Jintan's mother. But honestly, though I found the shrine scene's crying kind of narmy, the gang crying at the end just tore me up inside :'(

I give it a 9.5/10. Amazing anime, and it'll be one of my most cherished ones.

Leo_Otaku
2011-06-23, 20:47
Good ending but wasn't as moved as I expected to be. The whole scene with the three of them sobbing seemed a bit more comical than it should have been. I found the episode was rushed near the the end. I found the build up wasn't completely there. Overall good ending but not outstanding. Had me almost crying with the letters left behind... I was expecting a KEY moment but it fused out....

fazer
2011-06-23, 20:49
Thanks for the 3-month emotional roller-coaster and for rekindling my childhood memories that have been long buried somewhere.

I have that same nostalgic feeling when I first watched AnoHana, didn't expect it was such a emotional fest for me. But I loved it.

Archon_Wing
2011-06-23, 20:50
Man, this episode suffered from a lot of overacting. I didn't really mind the massive amount of crying in this series, but this episode it reached a critical point, especially for the first part, and a bit too much talking. :heh:

Also, Tsurukko vs Anaru is funny; where have I seen that?

But after the most intense introspection/self-pitying therapy session since the last episode of Evangelion, it was a uphill journey, as one little crack at Anaru's expense brought a bit of laughter and everyone was able to pull their shit together. Props to Jintan for not becoming a mess... and apparently that's important to the plot. So that's her wish, ok. The revelation is enough to tip Jintan over.

But that's not enough for Jintan so he must bring her to say goodbye to everyone. Unfortunately, Menma can't last any longer and Jintan can't see her anymore. This is a good thing, but it's bad for Jintan's mentality, and he starts flopping around like a fool in despair reminding me of that crappy ending from Angel Beats, Oh Okada don't do this... :heh:

Fortunately, Menma picks herself back up with the show, and manages to send them all out in a game. The little pieces of paper was a nice touch, and let them all see Menma for a bit. So in the end, they all learned to temporarily discard their self-intrest for a moment and learned to be less centered, leading to much less self-hatred and general grumpiness around others.

Take care of yourself, and then others. Good end to a great series. 9/10

Pocari_Sweat
2011-06-23, 21:00
Menma disappearing and not not coming back to life or some other nonsense +1
Jintan didn't commit suicide or do something too emo +1
Bittersweet ending - the life goes on type rather than a pure happy ending +1
Overdramatic crying (particularly the first half) -1

On the whole, a nice way to conclude the series. Not the best it could be but it was still quite good. However, I wasn't close to crying, because the first half's waterworks desensisted me by the end of the series. I think Okada misallocated the naming of this series and should have titled this "True Tears" instead, given the level of crying :heh:

Solid 9/10 for the episode.

Will do a end of series review later when a review thread is up.

Midnight Bliss
2011-06-23, 21:25
^
Yeah, the overdramatic crying at the beginning got a bit awkward for me. I was raging at first because of Anaru, but then when Tsuruko came and she had her monologue, oh god. ;__;
And uh, is it implied that she reincarnated into those flowers next to the tree? Seems like it.

Proto
2011-06-23, 21:35
Hmm... this episode is best watched back to back with 10 I think. You have to be in a certain state of mind to fully appreciate it.

Personally I found myself crying throughtout the episode, but then again I'm a crybaby. Not bad at all though, only a little over the top at times.

But then again human emotions tend to be like that. There's no cap that should tell us what is within the margin of what is acceptable.

tongonwilson
2011-06-23, 21:42
One of the best anime out there. I Cried so hard during the last 5 mins T_T

khryoleoz
2011-06-23, 21:45
Ugh! That was simply the worst episode ever. Why would I wanna say goodbye to this awesome cast! Makes me wanna go to heaven myself. Gonna dose up on Prozac now. Second only to Menma herself, seems like Popo has had the most traumatic experience with her death since he had seen it. While it came outta nowhere as seemingly to be ass pull, I still liked that he wasn't simply the dumb guy of the group. His passion wins, though I would've preferred to have caught some indication of his own state earlier throughout the series.

Starry Dust
2011-06-23, 21:53
Sometimes less is more.
But this episode kinda overdid the drama and tears (and the yelling) :uhoh:
I couldn't help but laugh at some parts.

Eh, I'll give it a 7/10.
Ending was predictable but good.

KyriaL
2011-06-23, 22:15
The gem of the season, slightly overdramatic but this is the only anime to make me shed manly tears after the almighty Clannad after story. This series will forever be etched into my memories.

ZODDGUTS
2011-06-23, 22:26
Average end for a decent series.

hero147
2011-06-23, 22:31
I was rather turned off by the incessant crying as well. To be honest, the only aspect of the show that I found emotionally touching were the scenes that developed the relationship between Menma and Jintan. But yeah, I found the notes that Menma left very touching, especially when I read Jintan's.

xl_Legit_lx
2011-06-23, 22:33
My first slice of life that I kept up with. Flawless.

Triple_R
2011-06-23, 22:35

On the whole, a nice way to conclude the series. Not the best it could be but it was still quite good. However, I wasn't close to crying, because the first half's waterworks desensisted me by the end of the series. I think Okada misallocated the naming of this series and should have titled this "True Tears" instead, given the level of crying :heh:

Ha ha ha ha!!! :heh:

It's too bad that Okada already used that title, once upon a time, eh? ;)

If this anime was titled "True Tears", I think I'd give it praise for being an anime that so astoundingly lives up to its name, lol.

As is, however, these are my final thoughts:

Pros:

1. Avoided one of the commonly feared bad resolutions (i.e. Jinta dying, Menma brought back to life, Jinta marrying a ghost and living together with her, etc...).

2. Concretely answering the question of "What Is Menma"s Wish?" It was simple, but believable, and not overly predictable imo. The wish also has poetic meta-commentary to me, as this series is all about the crying, lol.

3. Firmly resolving most relationship questions, and bringing things to a proper head there.

4. Had a slightly epic feel with Menma's miraculous appearance before everyone. Appropriate for a series finale.

5. A couple small, but nice, plot reveals were made in this episode, such as the one tied to Poppo.

6. The animation was very fluid and lovely.

7. I felt good for the characters at the least. They all got the most that they could possibly hope for, really.

8. All in all, very solid ending.

Cons:

1. Emotionally overwrought. I wonder if this would have made me cry even if I hadn't been desensitized by all the Menma crying in the first half of the anime series. Maybe I would have, but I'm not sure.

2. The first con is compounded by the fact that this is one episode where character actions (and not just the situation itself) sometimes didn't strike me as realistic. It has a "theater of the mind" element to it (much like some of the more questionable scenes in Madoka Magica) that I can appreciate at a theatrical level, but can really strain one's suspension of disbelief.

These two cons are significant for me, but they're certainly not enough to ruin an otherwise flawless ending for me.

8/10 for the finale, and I'm wavering between 8 and 9 for the series as a whole.

deadite
2011-06-23, 22:42
Poppo's reveal got me the most

Reckoner
2011-06-23, 22:49
It was a very good ending. Very solid, fulfilled my expectations, but didn't exceed them. 9/10

There are a lot of things to say overall, but I enjoyed this entire anime and I couldn't ask for more.

serenade_beta
2011-06-23, 22:50
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, I might as well go remove any Noitamina show from my watch list for the next season.

Two shows! Both started out great! How could they mess up both! And in a single day! It's too much to bare! *slumps in chair*
Ohh...

If they ended the series with the fireworks, it would have been so much better. I thought they had another episode, but it was only 11! Of course there isn't enough time to close the series...
To be honest, I did like Poppo's part. That was good.
Unfortunately, everything else, was to be blunt, a big laugh. I know what they were trying to do, I know they were aiming for drama and emotions, and I could see it right there, but it didn't reach me... I guess. That goes for the dramatic crying, the group fighting, and the rather creepy hide-and-seek screaming.

Shame, really...

I tried to bare with it, since the episodes were getting weaker and weaker, but the end turned out to be this...

HayashiTakara
2011-06-23, 23:25
FREAKING AMAZING! I shed the manliest tears ever!

I'm at a total lost for words, it was the perfect ending.

Anjou x Jinta

Tsuruko x Yukiatsu

And uh... Poppo :heh:

khryoleoz
2011-06-23, 23:28
ROFL! What the heck are manly tears?

HayashiTakara
2011-06-23, 23:34
ROFL! What the heck are manly tears?

Manly tears are tears that only manly men shed! :heh:

fertygo
2011-06-23, 23:37
Momma, there goes my masculinity.

ahelo
2011-06-23, 23:49
Episode 11 (http://traveleronrevenge.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/anohana-11-end/)
Unlimited tears indeed.

Manji Midou
2011-06-23, 23:57
good ending...though l didn't like how Yukiatsu who had nothing but resentment,hatred,jealousy all of the sudden became best buddies with gintan....
BLEGHH.......

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-24, 00:09
I had a suspicion that this ending wouldn't please everyone - what ending does, really - but it did please me.

What I liked? Well, a lot. For one, Poppo's reveal was wonderfully played and incredibly powerful. What was obvious to me was finally admitted by him - that he was trapped between running away from his childhood and being stuck in it. The reason was new - his tragic (though blameless) role in the events of the day Menma died. But the impact was already clear. Always seemingly the odd one out among the Busters, he was also the purest in his desire to help Menma - though even his was selfish in the sense of trying to assuage his own guilt. And his conclusion was very satisfying - going back to school (growing up).

I also liked the fact that the episode turned, as I suspected, on the selfishness of the living Busters. As I said after #10, each of them was selfish in their thinking about Menma primarily in terms of what her death, return and possible ascension meant to them. What was critical was not to deny that, but to admit it - to accept that they were frail and flawed and that grief is inherently selfish and that's OK. That was the point of the shrine scene, which I would argue was intentionally written by Okada and staged by Nagai as theatrical. It was the eruption of a lava flow of repressed emotion of literally more than half the lifetimes of the Busters, so it's only natural that it be so. In a way, they each returned to their child selves in that moment - and the absurdity of the situation was intentionally highlighted and deflated by Anaru's eyelash fiasco.

If that scene was the false conclusion, the true conclusion was the Hide-and-Seek game, and the diary. That was brought off beautifully, I thought, thanks to some outstanding work by both Okada and the cast, especially Miyu Irinu. I appreciated the lack of false closure, both for Menma and the others. I don't need to know if she was reincarnated as a field of forget-me-nots - it's enough to that her existence (like everyone's) is a mystery. It's enough to know that her love for the others brought her back and that she wanted to stay with them in some form.

Most of all, I like the fact that Okada made no attempt to "go big". There were no extended explanations of Menma's existence, no analysis - which would only have been counter-productive. Instead Menma was basically presented in simple, elegiac form. Her promise to Jintan's Mum was a child's promise, but she kept it. She couldn't bring anyone happiness, but her return did allow them the opportunity to accept the past and try to move on. Her "wish" about the firework was actually important - to her family. Her presence allowed everyone in the group to bare their souls to each other and get their trauma out in the open. It allowed Jintan to cry. They still have to do the hard work of trying to be happy, because living is hard work. But by existing Menma allowed them (especially Jintan) to see that they at least want to be happy - and that he (and all of them) aren't alone. Jintan and the Busters have each other, Satoshi and his parents have a new awareness of each other. Everyone in the Busters knows how the others feel, including romantically. It isn't all magically going to work out, but in a sense Menma was able to give them all a fresh start. That was enough of a reason for her to return.

Irenicus
2011-06-24, 00:33
I'm going to let it sink in a bit...I think this is the kind of episode that needs to be watched in a certain mood to get the most out of it. It's not an episode that will survive a cynical or embarrassed mood -- you'll be too bothered by many of the scenes -- but will touch the heart when you are sensitive and receptive to it.

I will note though that in all the waterworks Menma cried the least, and only once -- at the very end. Jintan, 2nd. But then, he has always holed it up inside (the wish!).

Anaru was practically beaten by Tsuruko though! That's many years' worth of tears right there, the poor girl. Poppo, too, exploded. Yukiatsu simply substituted his usual guarded hostility for honest tears, and became a much more pleasant person in a heartbeat.

deadite
2011-06-24, 00:35
I hope no one tramples the blooming forget-me-not by the tree.

Riou17
2011-06-24, 00:59
I. Cried. A. Lot.

This is the only slice-of-life anime that made me cry so much. I even have to pause the video after the shrine scene because I can't stop crying. So...here are my thoughts after watching the last episode:

- The ending is a bit unique to me. This is mostly because I'm used with reincarnation or the 'some years later' type of ending. In this one, they went back to their normal routine with their burdens gone. It didn't show the love pairs ending as real love pairs but a possible hint that they may be in the future. I like how they didn't show Menma again after she passed on.
- It was a bit melodramatic. I can handle lots of waterworks but the excessive shouting is too much. It was nice that they still added a bit of comedy in it.
- Props to the seiyuus especially Anaru, Tsuruko and Poppo's. They handled the scenes very well especially at the shrine scene.
- Menma's wish is simple and sweet. I thought her wish was just hers but instead it was for Jintan's mom. Though I laughed a bit when I thought she's going to literally make Jintan cry.

Overall, it was an excellent episode though I'm still bothered by the shouting near the end. It didn't leave any plot holes unanswered, the characters' stories ended well (no one tried to commit suicide or anything), and it didn't have the sugar sweet ending. Though I still feel that there's something missing or they left something.

I give the ending a 9/10.

P.S. that slow-mo scene at the river was just a red herring, huh?

pagan poor
2011-06-24, 01:05
Not a surprising ending at all. But well executed. The crying was a bit overdone, but understandable in the context of them finally venting about the events of those years ago, missing Menma, and then rediscovering her as a full on vision to say goodbye at the end. Great show overall.

Also, Poppo carrying that memory of seeing Menma go like that must have been torturing him for years. I could see how he dropped out and went his own way for the longest time.

Deconstructor
2011-06-24, 01:12
This is the first time I've cried in about one year. However I'm not going to count the time one of my friends took a particularly large onion and held it to my face. Emotional tears only.

When Poppo stated his selfish reasons for passing Menma to heaven, I was moved and surprised. Everyone else was ruled guilty before they even started crying at the verdict. But Poppo... this is the guy who hasn't cried all season. Finally, Poppo's motivation for all of his actions becomes clear. Poppo was trapped inside the secret base because he couldn't forgive himself for Menma's death.

On top of Poppo there's Tsuruko, who also decides to break out the inner feelings. This is a girl who's accepted her inferiority as a character, but thinks accepting her role makes her better than someone who tries resisting the natural order. No way. If you're hurting deep inside, friends are there so you don't have to suffer alone. Tsuruko is jealous of Anaru, because Anaru has the courage to confess to someone she knows doesn't even like her.

After episode 5 I predicted Yukiatsu and Anaru would become a couple by the end of the show; I am very pleased my prediction turned false. True friendship and true love don't have to be the same thing. Jinta doesn't have to love Anaru to be her friend, nor does Yukiatsu have to love Tsuruko. And they're not friends simply because they're romantically attracted to each other. They're friends because they have fun together.

Was the ending rushed? I'd say there's way too much happening to stuff all into one episode. When everyone could finally see Menma for the last time, I knew at least some of the viewers would accuse the writer of changing the rules so blatantly to suit the occasion. I think the Super Peace Busters deserved to see Menma one last time. Sure the scene could have been introduced better with something leading up to Menma's visibility, but I'll take what is given.

There was certainly a lot of crying. Many posters have stated the constant stream of tears wears off after the first episode or so... for me the emotional effect builds upward, because I can't help but feel more and more sympathy for the characters as they reveal more and more of their true feelings. One sad story after another, and now the final tale finally gets laid to rest.

Episode 11 Rating: Truthfully it's 9/10, but since this episode made me cry like a baby, it gets a one-point bonus to 10/10.

PS. I don't understand why people say the ending was predictable... the ending is certainly unsurprising (except for Poppo's confession) but I doubt I could have stated with even marginal accuracy what was to happen. I had no idea the show would end with the line "Menma!!! We found you!!!"

farios
2011-06-24, 01:12
That hairpin Tsuruko wearing...that's not the hairpin Yukiatsu gave(well try to) to Mema years ago right? So does that mean Yukiatsu give the new one to Tsuruko? I hope so

DragoonKain3
2011-06-24, 01:24
Was crying most of the time. Sure, there was the entire cast crying at the temple that made we want to laugh, but otherwise, was pretty darn emotional.

But Tsuruko... her frigging SMILE behind that textbook. I !#%!ing died!

That hairpin Tsuruko wearing...that's not the hairpin Yukiatsu gave(well try to) to Mema years ago right? So does that mean Yukiatsu give the new one to Tsuruko? I hope so

It's most probably the new hairpin back during the crossdressing fiasco. So while JintanXAnaru is still quite ambiguous, Yukiatsu giving away such an important and significant item (in comparison to say, Jintan giving back the kerchief) such as that makes me consider them a couple now.

Riou17
2011-06-24, 01:36
I watched the episode again, but this time I'm composed. Though I'm going to admit I still cried.

The shouting scene doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I think it's appropriate in that scene.

Master Chibi
2011-06-24, 01:46
I had a suspicion that this ending wouldn't please everyone - what ending does, really - but it did please me.

What I liked? Well, a lot. For one, Poppo's reveal was wonderfully played and incredibly powerful. What was obvious to me was finally admitted by him - that he was trapped between running away from his childhood and being stuck in it. The reason was new - his tragic (though blameless) role in the events of the day Menma died. But the impact was already clear. Always seemingly the odd one out among the Busters, he was also the purest in his desire to help Menma - though even his was selfish in the sense of trying to assuage his own guilt. And his conclusion was very satisfying - going back to school (growing up).

I also liked the fact that the episode turned, as I suspected, on the selfishness of the living Busters. As I said after #10, each of them was selfish in their thinking about Menma primarily in terms of what her death, return and possible ascension meant to them. What was critical was not to deny that, but to admit it - to accept that they were frail and flawed and that grief is inherently selfish and that's OK. That was the point of the shrine scene, which I would argue was intentionally written by Okada and staged by Nagai as theatrical. It was the eruption of a lava flow of repressed emotion of literally more than half the lifetimes of the Busters, so it's only natural that it be so. In a way, they each returned to their child selves in that moment - and the absurdity of the situation was intentionally highlighted and deflated by Anaru's eyelash fiasco.

If that scene was the false conclusion, the true conclusion was the Hide-and-Seek game, and the diary. That was brought off beautifully, I thought, thanks to some outstanding work by both Okada and the cast, especially Miyu Irinu. I appreciated the lack of false closure, both for Menma and the others. I don't need to know if she was reincarnated as a field of forget-me-nots - it's enough to that her existence (like everyone's) is a mystery. It's enough to know that her love for the others brought her back and that she wanted to stay with them in some form.

Most of all, I like the fact that Okada made no attempt to "go big". There were no extended explanations of Menma's existence, no analysis - which would only have been counter-productive. Instead Menma was basically presented in simple, elegiac form. Her promise to Jintan's Mum was a child's promise, but she kept it. She couldn't bring anyone happiness, but her return did allow them the opportunity to accept the past and try to move on. Her "wish" about the firework was actually important - to her family. Her presence allowed everyone in the group to bare their souls to each other and get their trauma out in the open. It allowed Jintan to cry. They still have to do the hard work of trying to be happy, because living is hard work. But by existing Menma allowed them (especially Jintan) to see that they at least want to be happy - and that he (and all of them) aren't alone. Jintan and the Busters have each other, Satoshi and his parents have a new awareness of each other. Everyone in the Busters knows how the others feel, including romantically. It isn't all magically going to work out, but in a sense Menma was able to give them all a fresh start. That was enough of a reason for her to return.

Honestly I can't put it any better than this.

In fact I wasn't bothered at all that they didn't show her reincarnation, I thought they went way beyond the call of duty to be honest. Way, way, beyond it.

So yeah, this series was fucking amazing.

Another notch on that list of shows that makes me proud to be a fucking otaku.

:D

ahelo
2011-06-24, 01:59
REVIEW (http://traveleronrevenge.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-o-boku-tachi-wa-mada-shiranai-end/)

This is how slice of life/dramas should be made. The way this series ended, this episode, is very satisfying.

deadite
2011-06-24, 02:06
Her reincarnation is kind of implied though. I mean they focus on a blooming Forget-me-not growing by the tree where she finally passed on. Also, I kind of wish that flashback of Poppo was voiced. I would like to have heard Aki Toyosaki handle that scene.

Solace
2011-06-24, 03:01
Her reincarnation is kind of implied though. I mean they focus on a blooming Forget-me-not growing by the tree where she finally passed on.

I guess you could interpret it like that. I saw it as symbolism more than anything (since it is referenced in the show and the title itself). They'll never forget about Menma.

I have to admit, it got to me. I choked up and cried a bit. I don't look forward to endings in anime, not just because the show is over, but because they tend to rush things and don't end well. This on the other hand was really well done and couldn't have ended better.

This for me was a really cathartic series. There is a loss of innocence as you grow into an adult, and the nostalgic/sentimental chords struck all the right places. I know some won't understand what I mean, because we all grow up differently. Some might even find the ending "silly" because of the "over acting"....but to me it hit home.

I don't think this is the kind of show you can enjoy by dissecting it in an analytical manner. You have to enjoy it because it hits the right places in your heart.

Kyuu
2011-06-24, 03:10
I read some of the spoilers. I've yet to get the episode.. waiting on UTW. And... nice to know some things to look forward to.

:3

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-24, 03:28
Finale and Series review (http://lostinamerica-deeg.blogspot.com/search/label/AnoHana):

I'm kind of glad Denpa Onna was off this week, because there honestly isn't enough room in my psyche for anything else tonight - I'm putting off the finale of "C" till tomorrow as is, because there's no way I could give it a real chance after this.

I hope folks who didn't care for the end, especially the temple scene, will give it another chance. Really think that scene came off exactly as intended - right down to the symbolism of the Busters finally returning to calling each other by their Busters names.

VentAileron
2011-06-24, 03:39
I agree with the people that the ending is a pretty generic and predictable one. The general execution has been great though. I only have a few complaints...

I kind of just rolled my eyes when Poppo revealed his tidbit. It was too sudden, too late and a too desperate attempt to give him a story to tell too. Everyone going 'Wahh!' after that was just as ridiculous.

Menma disappearing and thus, unable to move much on her own is a bit of a cliched 'suspense by time pressure' premise. It's barely used as a plot-device though, so it's forgivable.

In my opinion, the epilogue was a bit too short. The thing I've missed the most in the epilogue was that Menma's familiy didn't show up even once; it's all about the Super Peace Busters. It would've been appropriate to give them a few seconds, since Menma's mother needs to move on too.

-Sho-
2011-06-24, 03:59
Watched ep 10 then 11.

I didn't cried but i felt something at my stomach lol , last time i cried for an anime , it was for Clannad.
That was a good show , we don't often saw this kind of show so it was a big surprise this year.
Good ending with all the last explanations. And i agree for Poppo , it was so sudden but well.

9/10. More anime like this are welcome.

SoFarGone
2011-06-24, 05:26
So Menma fell and just drowned. I thought it was going to be more serious but its all good. It would've been nice if Poppo had more development since the highlight of his character is this episode.

User68604
2011-06-24, 06:15
manly tears have been shed

Kanon
2011-06-24, 06:58
Oh man, what a bawfest. Even I almost cried. How ironic that Menma's true wish was to make Jinta cry :heh:

A shame this finale was tainted by an insane amount of over acting. It was very hard not to laugh during some scenes, particularly in the first half. Thankfully, the finale scene (which we successfully predicted after the first episode) was masterfully well executed, so I can overlook the over dramatic melodrama of the first half.

One thing that didn't sit well with me about this ending however, is that everyone suddenly becoming BFF again (why do I say again? They were never even all truly friends) wasn't very believable, particularly when it comes to Yukiatsu. It was just way too fast.

fazer
2011-06-24, 07:24
Its not perfect...but still love it....left a void in my heart now that a great series with characters I love ended....

User68604
2011-06-24, 07:26
^ ur avi is very befitting

blewin
2011-06-24, 08:54
I cried! so not want Menma to go, but it's great to see Jinta picking up his life, going to school and caring for Anaru.

didn't expect Poppo to have witnessed Menma's death. Must have been so traumatic for him. Poor guy.

gin-jishi
2011-06-24, 09:34
just loved this episode!!! even though the anime isn't perfect... i gotta say, that last episode was just epic, everything about it... man, i think everyone who watched it cried!!!! :'(

deadite
2011-06-24, 09:44
I can only imagine Touko's reaction when little Menma dies before she did.

Otani-kun
2011-06-24, 09:52
I didnt cry, maybe because I was expecting some different conclusion.

But it was a great show and my favorite of this season.

ID555
2011-06-24, 10:03
That was a pretty darn good ending. The last two episodes got me thinking that all the AnaruXJintan resolution we're going to get is the two of them smiling at each other at most; what we got was a taaad more than that, so I guess I won't complain too much. If you only consider the ending in terms of Menma, then I'd say it was great.

fazer
2011-06-24, 10:33
Did the guys who give the score of 1 for this ending episode meant that this episode was bad or just really painfully good?

Soconfused
2011-06-24, 11:04
Some, actually, a lot of the scenes in this episode were cringe worthy, but overall it was a decent conclusion to the series, nothing was left unresolved, so I'm happy. But goddamn, the whole hide and seek part was just awful, I wanted to skip forward. >_<

I'd give the series a 7.5 out of 10.

fazer
2011-06-24, 11:24
But goddamn, the whole hide and seek part was just awful, I wanted to skip forward. >_<

I'd give the series a 7.5 out of 10.

It was not lol ! I like how childish it was, since it was what they played when they were younger...and how genuinely lost and desperate they were running around looking for Menma.

I just watched it again...I think I am dehydrated from crying ...

guuchan
2011-06-24, 11:27

Haha, you so stole my words, but I do have some more to add:

Loyal to being predictable and not trying to bring surprises for the sake of surprises like some overthought speculations here :p +3

Bittersweet ending: as in, Menma does disappear and, most importantly, leading to everyone moving on with their lives like the show intended to and not turning into Higurashi or something of that sort +5

It freaking made me want to swear out loud for being emotional shaken even though I do think they cried a little - just a little - too much to force it, but then the seiyuu's, being a star cast, did too good of a job so I can't complain. I hate them for that -20

Despite that the general direction the finale went for didn't surprise me, it did bring me surprises on how they managed to transit the temple scene from "having selfish intention in wishing Menma to RIP" to "trueheartedly wanting to fulfill Menma's wish" +10

Menma's true wish turned out to be a true surprise. Who would think of that? +10

So "真心" (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3657200#post3657200) did turn out to be meaningful in that scene +2

Hence total score of this episode = 10

BladeEntity
2011-06-24, 12:15
A great episode for me... I didn't cry at all, but still it struck me right in the heart.

I think I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings because I thought it was the perfect ending for a great series.

I think the best part is that all the plot holes were covered and basically the shrine scene was one part of them growing up... While them saying good bye to Menma was moving on. Some parts were predictable but certain elements were well played and pleseantly surprsing giving the episode a more fresh feel.

Overall Impression: 10/10

SkoolRumble4Ya
2011-06-24, 12:25
I'm so sad why Menma have to go. Hopefully some company license it so I can buy it on blu ray.

KholdStare
2011-06-24, 12:38
The final episode itself seemed like a step down from earlier episodes, but I'm mostly happy with the way the stories ended for each of the characters. I don't want to spoil anything important for anyone so I'll hold off on detailed commentary for now, but I'll say these things:

This episode was almost comically full of the characters crying. I mean, I cried a fair amount at times, but there were parts where I had to laugh at just how much weeping was going on.

This.

Mostly happy with the anime, but it could've ended better. There were times where I felt really touched but then 30 seconds later it felt corny and awkward, and the entire episode was back and forth that way. I liked the idea for the ending, but...it could've been executed better.

EDIT: The hide and seek part was a good idea in my opinion, but it was too overly dramatic.

I find it weird that while Menma preached to be with everyone, her wish was just for Jintan only. I wonder what will happen when Jintan tells the group what Menma's wish is (or if he will at all). Will they continue to be jealous and hurt their rediscovered friendship? That's the part where I sort of wonder about the most.

6/10 (for the episode)

But all in all it is probably my favorite show of this season.

tera_ha
2011-06-24, 13:04
a really good anime and a decent ending but i have this feeling that this show is a bit overrated if not a lot but thats just me

User68604
2011-06-24, 13:16
^unfortunately correct

ppl compare it to the epicness that is called Clannad After Story

InfiniteDistance
2011-06-24, 13:35
It's a new show, so people are typically enthusiastic. In any case, I like it more than Clannad After Story.

I really liked the ending, but it seems some people are disappointed by how 'unsurprising' the end was. That's something I really lked, though. Surprise endings typically seem to ruin shows for me.

Some things I liked in particular:

Menma saying she loves not just Jintan, but everyone. And the last scenes where we are given some hints about Yukiatsu/Tsuruko and Anaru/Jintan. I love an open ending to a story, and while everyone gets along, the exact happenings are kept a bit vague. I also liked Poppo's screentime.

All in all a very enjoyable show.

Kopi
2011-06-24, 13:45
Yes, I was brought near to tears a few times and was trying very hard to hold them in but I think there were too many times the characters were crying for the sake of crying. Hell I was laughing at those particular scenes and some of those yelling really irritated me..

Other than those, I would said I really enjoyed and am satisfied with this episode.

TakezoMusashi
2011-06-24, 14:06
9/10
A little too overly dramatic in parts, but good overall. :)

...wow, I completly forgot Anaru had her two friends since they dissapeared for awhile, and suddenly they aren't so bad... :)

OceanBlue
2011-06-24, 14:15
Just coming from watching it, I don't really understand everyone's complaints about overdoing it, but I guess it's just how much you're willing to accept. I thought it was fine and a great way to end the series, considering how subdued the series was until now. A great way to end a great series.

I cried ;-;. Time to loop the ending for a couple of hours.

tsunade666
2011-06-24, 14:20
Super ending that I got to give a 10/10

From the start where Menma was still there, to the part where they gather without Menma to say out their real feelings. Such heavy emotions that keeps up piling up. Then when Gintan got home. Menma is starting to disappear but he still carried her over to the base but when he arrived he can't see her anymore. It's really hard to watch it. For my taste that is even if I watched and liked this genre I just find it hard to watch as it goes deeper. I just paused a break for a moment before continuing. And as the group go search for her. The letter that's been arrange like petals of flowers. Such superb events and script writing. It all felt so real for me. Then they go act like before and Menma finally been seen by everyone. She really want to be reincarnated ;_;

It's really touching.................. :(

Then after that the after story event was funny. Gintan and Anaru. Tsuruki and Yukiatsu. And Poppo studying again :) SUPER PEACE BUSTER! FRIENDS FOR EVER!

CWW
2011-06-24, 14:27
"Now I'm ready!"

The moment the ED chorus started, accompanied by that line, it sent chills down my spine. Still haven't shed tears, which proves I'm a soulless robot, but that was damn touching. Haven't really composed myself yet to write more words. Menma ;______________;

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-24, 14:39
Boy, I don't know... People carry emotional trauma around for literally more than half their lives, and finally it bursts out - and it was overdramatic? I don't see that, but to each his own.

mellomarie
2011-06-24, 14:40
I find it weird that while Menma preached to be with everyone, her wish was just for Jintan only. I wonder what will happen when Jintan tells the group what Menma's wish is (or if he will at all). Will they continue to be jealous and hurt their rediscovered friendship? That's the part where I sort of wonder about the most.

really obvious to them, even if it wasn't said out loud. the whole "you made jintan cry" thing. not to mention her expression when jintan said thanks for the promise and i love you, it was totally unique to how she acted with everybody else.

i have to say that the episode teetered on melodramatic at some points, but the overall message was good. i just wished it was a bit subtler.

also wished they went more in depth with poppo and tsuruko. especially tsuruko--a lot of people totally vilified yukiatsu because they thought he was ignoring her feelings, little did we know lol.

i'm very happy though that they are moving on from menma, though jintan's love was reciprocated so it's a lot more tragic.

i don't find tsuruko x yukiatsu remotely believable but that's just me. i think how it was painted so platonically just makes the possibility seemed rushed. not to mention tsuruko had been hiding her feelings for like ever.

my favourite part was menma's wish--it was a child's innocence personified. totally didn't expect it.

still wanted yukiatsu x anaru endgame but i'll live, especially now that their understanding isn't as random as people thought according to tsuruko's words :heh:

khryoleoz
2011-06-24, 14:53
REVIEW (http://traveleronrevenge.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-o-boku-tachi-wa-mada-shiranai-end/)

This is how slice of life/dramas should be made. The way this series ended, this episode, is very satisfying.

I agree. Yukiatsu was certainly the most interesting character. Until Poppo's revelation, I had thought that Yukiatsu bore the loss of Menma the hardest in the way it played out even in his secret moments. I love how the series portrayed his character's resentment, guilt, and bitterness, and Sakurai was able to capture and express that so well in his performance.

Having read all of the posts on this thread, I'd have to say I've never seen so many admissions of manly tears before.

SaintessHeart
2011-06-24, 15:01
Boy, I don't know... People carry emotional trauma around for literally more than half their lives, and finally it bursts out - and it was overdramatic? I don't see that, but to each his own.

Well I know people who carry their emotional trauma with them for their lives, I myself being one of them. It is not easy to let go of someone's death, be it accidental or purposeful, especially when the person is close to you.

But this is totally a Key-ish anime, but probably the most brilliant thing is that like Kyou No Go No Ni, they used Zone's infamous Secret base as their ED. The song, and their lyrics, are priceless.

deadite
2011-06-24, 15:18
Someone mentioned that the entire show was a metaphorical game of hide and seek with Menma and the Busters.

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-24, 15:35
Well I know people who carry their emotional trauma with them for their lives, I myself being one of them. It is not easy to let go of someone's death, be it accidental or purposeful, especially when the person is close to you.

I don't disagree at all. But my point was that if and when all that stuff finally comes out, it isn't going to be a quiet and subtle moment. It's going to be a torrent of emotion and probably self-pity, especially when we're talking about people in the situation these characters were in.

In a way, that's a very simple and straightforward distillation of Menma's impact as a ghost. She allowed (forced) the others to confront their emotional trauma, rather than continue to suppress it.

InfiniteDistance
2011-06-24, 15:38

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I'm not overly emotional in general, but I've had a person really close to me die a few years ago. It's something that never leaves my mind. I don't dwell on it, but not a day goes by where I don't think of her, even now.

I've had breakdowns at times, and the events in the last episode definitely hit home. In fact, I found it very realistic. That's why I love this show (and the ending), for it's realism when it comes to emotion.

Anh_Minh
2011-06-24, 15:55
Well, this ep most certainly worked.

i don't find tsuruko x yukiatsu remotely believable but that's just me. i think how it was painted so platonically just makes the possibility seemed rushed. not to mention tsuruko had been hiding her feelings for like ever.

She hasn't exactly been hiding them. Everyone could see it, except Yukiatsu. Which in a way is even worse. Will he be able to switch from obliviousness to love? Maybe, now that he's made his peace regarding Menma.

Kirarakim
2011-06-24, 16:13
I have to admit like others I thought some of the crying and yelling in this episode was a bit over done.

But that being said I was very happy with how things concluded. I thought story and character wise it was an excellent ending just the execution wasn't perfect.

edit: Favorite part of the episode was definitely everyone reading the letters Menma wrote to them and everyone saying I love you back to her.

CWW
2011-06-24, 16:54
Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment? :heh:

Endless Soul
2011-06-24, 16:56
I Finally had a chance to see this today. Very, very nice ending to a sweet series. However I think someone was cutting onions around me when I was watching, made my eyes water a bit.

awkwardanimals
2011-06-24, 16:59
Good ending to a great series. I felt that it was too melodramatic, however, at some points. Especially all the yelling and crying during the first half. I think I might have been desensitized to the crying because Menma did it every episode, but it felt...forced.

However I did cry, myself. Starting when they read the letters from Menma at the end. From then until about...an hour after the episode ended I was crying haha.

Ending: 7/10
Show: 9/10

TrippedUp
2011-06-24, 17:06
Although JintAnaru is my OTP, the letter that Menma wrote to Jintan was so freakin adorable <3

I love the fact that it wasn't about Jintan and Menma saying they loved eachother and said goodbye, the whole thing included everyone. The SPB were a 6 person squad. I love anime's that although touch on romance, focus more on the friendships.

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-24, 17:07
But this is totally a Key-ish anime, but probably the most brilliant thing is that like Kyou No Go No Ni, they used Zone's infamous Secret base as their ED. The song, and their lyrics, are priceless.

That's interesting, and I'd forgotten that Kyou No Go No Ni used "Secret Base" as well. Young Jintan is a dead-ringer for Ryouta, for one. But it also isn't hard to imagine AnoHana as a follow-up to KnGnN - a story of three boys and three girls just beginning to have the complicating factor of attraction intrude on their circle of friendship. Obviously it was a much more comedic series, but - especially the OVA - was quite emotional at times, and one of the better anime about elementary schoolers and their emotions.

Tenshi_
2011-06-24, 17:08
Argh, I think I cried a too much that my keyboard is soaked with tears T_T

Anyway, so the title of this show is like Symbolism of Menma and how characters move on to brighter future??

Also, I can say that this series can match with any Key works though, some might disagree with me :P

Windows X
2011-06-24, 17:43
I haven't cried for a few years already. It seems I shed years worth tears just for this ones. T_T

P.S. I don't think this is Key-ish. Ahohana is very smooth and realistic with awesome casts and compositions. You won't find this gem in every year, you know?

Anh_Minh
2011-06-24, 18:01
Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment? :heh:

It's a compliment, but I felt she's kinda switched Anaru and Tsuruko's letters.

icatero
2011-06-24, 18:02
I too believe that Menma was reincarnated into that flower. It's planted right in the spot she took next to the tree, isn't it?

Anyways, I'm quite satisfied with the ending. I'm a bit tired from all that crying though. :(

On a side note: I feel like Anaru's and Yukiatsu's letters were switched.

CWW
2011-06-24, 18:04
As a last post, I'd like to thank everyone for engaging on the discussion of the show, even if a lot of it was wrong (oh how wrong we were). It has been a pleasure.

And what better note to end than the words coming from the Super Peace Busters. Cheers!

Menma’s Voice Actor, Ai Kayano:

おしまいの時間が近づいてきました。なんだか寂しいような、嬉しいような…複雑な気持ちです。超平和バスタ ーズはずっと一緒です!みんな大好き!(めんま役:茅野愛衣)

Jintan’s Voice Actor, Miyu Irino:

遂に最終回…観てもらえるのは嬉しいけど、なんか寂しいね!一人でも多くの方にこの物語を見届けて欲しい! !頑張れ!超平和バスターズ!想いよ!!届けーー(^O^)じんたん役:入野自由

Anaru’s Voice Actor: Haruka Tomatsu:

とうとう最終回!この作品に関われたことは私の中でとても大きなこととなり、一生の宝物です!何も考えず最 終回を観てください。今まであのはなを応援してくださいました皆様、本当にありがとうございます!これから もよろしくお願いします☆ あなる役戸松遥

Yukiatsu’s Voice Actor, Takahiro Sakurai:

ゆきあつ役の櫻井孝宏です。この作品も最終回を迎えようとしています。終わってしまう寂しさでいっぱいです がちゃんと終わらせられるラストが待っています。彼らの結末を見届けてあげて下さい。6人の“今まで”と“ これから”をすぐ側で見ていてあげて下さい。宜しくお願いします。

Tsuruko’s Voice Actor, Saori Hayami:

つるこ役早見沙織です!ついにあのはな最終回が放送になります!現場でも涙が途切れることのなかった最終話 ・・・。テレビの前の皆様も、涙に包まれること間違いなし!そして、見終わった後には、とってもあたたかい 気持ちになれること間違いなしです♪お楽しみに。

Poppo’s Voice Actor, Takayuki Kondo:

久川鉄道役:近藤孝行です。この作品に参加する事が出来たこと、ぽっぽを演じることが出来たこと、この『カ ンパニー』の一員になれたこと、全てに感謝しています。浸るには少し早かったですかね(笑)皆様と一緒に最 後の最後まで見届けたいと思います!

Lange Neus
2011-06-24, 18:21
Fastforwarded through a big chunck of the crying it didn't do it for me. Too much contrast with the rest of the episodes kinda killed the mood for me.

Speaking of contrast, I think this would've been more interesting if they kept the storytelling quircky like they did in episode 1. Forfeiting that turned this into a generic tearjerker.

Haohmaru
2011-06-24, 18:32
As a last post, I'd like to thank everyone for engaging on the discussion of the show, even if a lot of it was wrong (oh how wrong we were). It has been a pleasure.

And what better note to end than the words coming from the Super Peace Busters. Cheers!

おしまいの時間が近づいてきました。なんだか寂しいような、嬉しいような…複雑な気持ちです。超平和バスタ ーズはずっと一緒です!みんな大好き!(めんま役:茅野愛衣)

遂に最終回…観てもらえるのは嬉しいけど、なんか寂しいね!一人でも多くの方にこの物語を見届けて欲しい! !頑張れ!超平和バスターズ!想いよ!!届けーー(^O^)じんたん役:入野自由

とうとう最終回!この作品に関われたことは私の中でとても大きなこととなり、一生の宝物です!何も考えず最 終回を観てください。今まであのはなを応援してくださいました皆様、本当にありがとうございます!これから もよろしくお願いします☆ あなる役戸松遥

ゆきあつ役の櫻井孝宏です。この作品も最終回を迎えようとしています。終わってしまう寂しさでいっぱいです がちゃんと終わらせられるラストが待っています。彼らの結末を見届けてあげて下さい。6人の“今まで”と“ これから”をすぐ側で見ていてあげて下さい。宜しくお願いします。

つるこ役早見沙織です!ついにあのはな最終回が放送になります!現場でも涙が途切れることのなかった最終話 ・・・。テレビの前の皆様も、涙に包まれること間違いなし!そして、見終わった後には、とってもあたたかい 気持ちになれること間違いなしです♪お楽しみに。

久川鉄道役:近藤孝行です。この作品に参加する事が出来たこと、ぽっぽを演じることが出来たこと、この『カ ンパニー』の一員になれたこと、全てに感謝しています。浸るには少し早かったですかね(笑)皆様と一緒に最 後の最後まで見届けたいと思います!
Translation please

achirist
2011-06-24, 18:34
I did not like the last episode. I wanted more interaction between the characters when they were confronting each other and letting it all out. I wanted people to respond to Poppo's desperation (guess what; no, he isn't happy and normal!) and to hear his full account of what happened to Menma (or Menma's account of exactly how she died would have done well too). I wanted Yukiatsu and jinta to respond to to the girls when they spoke out. Otherwise, it's like nothing happened at all, if you just ignore them and treat them as random outbursts. This is followed through by the non-ending; too much of the episode was concerned with Menma leaving, I wanted to see more character development; they could have shaved ten minutes off of Menma's goodbye in order to go farther in the future and show people changing.

I don't agree with the comparisons to the empty, moralistic, sentimental dating game adaptation that is clannad. Most of this series was something so much better than that show ever was.

karice67
2011-06-24, 19:49
I find it weird that while Menma preached to be with everyone, her wish was just for Jintan only. I wonder what will happen when Jintan tells the group what Menma's wish is (or if he will at all). Will they continue to be jealous and hurt their rediscovered friendship? That's the part where I sort of wonder about the most.Perhaps we've all been too caught up on the 'wish' thing? The way I see it, fulfilling her promise to Jinta's mother was the 'unfinished business' Menma came back to do, which is why she started disappearing once that was accomplished. But her own true wish, which Jinta referred to at the end, was for the Super Peace Busters to be/remain friends forever. That's probably why Jinta kept mentioning Menma's propensity to think about others before herself.

She hasn't exactly been hiding them. Everyone could see it, except Yukiatsu.Their schoolmates assumed it because she was always with him, but if you look at the way Tsuruko talks and acts with Yukiatsu, I really don't see how you can expect him to have known.

Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment? :heh:It's a compliment, but I felt she's kinda switched Anaru and Tsuruko's letters.On a side note: I feel like Anaru's and Yukiatsu's letters were switched.I personally think Anaru's is spot-on. I just wouldn't have translated "shikkari" as "level-headed” but as "really careful" or something along those lines, because Menma was referring to her meticulous (or anal-retentive, if you don't want to be nice) personality.

marcosius
2011-06-24, 20:28
Anyone knows whats the song during Menma and Jintan's mother talk?

Ontopic: An acceptable end, not epic but very closed.

PzIVf3
2011-06-24, 21:16
It brings me tears and painful on my throat i though she gonna reincarnated but it didn't came true.

I've have a thoughts of Poppo to be a suspect a long time ago but couldn't tell how he saw the whole thing if that a suicide, tripped, push, drown or maybe he trying to stop her doing that but he couldn't act quickly.

Kyuu
2011-06-24, 21:27
Yep. This episode really really really did its job ... of making you feel it. Feel things. All around.

TJR
2011-06-24, 22:41
Yikes, the melodrama was comically OTT with screaming and wailing that ruined what could've been a great ending. In short, good episode concept, excess melodramatic bloat used to fill the time.

On the production end, they appear to have run out of time too (unfinished, uncorrected drawings; substandard photography compared to previous episodes), although the DVD/BD release might allow for some extra polish.

taofd
2011-06-24, 23:09
I just finished this episode, and I honestly started bawling when they got their letters.

It brings me tears and painful on my throat i though she gonna reincarnated but it didn't came true.

I've have a thoughts of Poppo to be a suspect a long time ago but couldn't tell how he saw the whole thing if that a suicide, tripped, push, drown or maybe he trying to stop her doing that but he couldn't act quickly.

It explains a lot about why he dropped out of school and started getting into all that supernatural stuff. Most likely, he saw her fall into the river, but was too scared to do anything about it, and thus blamed himself for it since then.

jorez
2011-06-25, 00:19
I would have liked the episode more if I had some affection to the characters, specially for Menma... but I just can't get to like her voice. It was a good ending, anyways. Once again, like in episode 10, the soundtrack timings were on time.

guuchan
2011-06-25, 00:24

I'd imagine nothing would go wrong. It's just a child's wish - she stated that she gathered everyone together on the day of her accident to help her to come up with a way fulfilling the wish. It's not like the group didn't know already that she had special feelings towards Jinta.

None of the messages is negative.

"Shikkarimono" is more like describing her as a reliable person; level-headed is a bad choice of word.

Bordix
2011-06-25, 00:44
Pretty much got me when they started opening their personal letters. I can just imagine Yukiatsu's face when he reads Jintan's letter, not to mention he finally saw Menma's grown up body. So Yukiatsu, is she hot? :heh: Oh man, I'm gonna miss his character.

Hmm... this episode is best watched back to back with 10 I think. You have to be in a certain state of mind to fully appreciate it.

Definitely agree with this. The start was just too powerful and I found certain parts overdone. Kudos to the VAs they must be emotionally tired after all the crying and shouting. Memorable anime especially the music.

CWW
2011-06-25, 01:21
None of the messages is negative.

"Shikkarimono" is more like describing her as a reliable person; level-headed is a bad choice of word.
In other words: boring. I just find it funny that that's the first thing that popped into her head when describing Naruko instead of, oh, I don't know, cute. Or better yet, tsun.

Okay, I'll stop now. :heh:

guuchan
2011-06-25, 02:23
Anyone knows whats the song during Menma and Jintan's mother talk?

"I Left You", by REMEDIOS.

It will be in OST 1 bundled with first volume of BD, releasing on 6/29.

In other words: boring. I just find it funny that that's the first thing that popped into her head when describing Naruko instead of, oh, I don't know, cute. Or better yet, tsun.

Okay, I'll stop now. :heh:

Haha. It's from the viewpoint of a girl, you know. :p A very good girl at that.

It's been a pleasure to see you posting here too. I think you grabbed quite a few of my recent given reps here. ;)

The end has approached. Somehow I feel like lonely yet happy... it's a complicated feeling. Super Peace Busters will always be together! I love everyone!

Finally the last episode... I'm glad that people watch it, but I still feel lonely! I want more people to see this story, even it's just one more!! You can do it! Super Peace Busters! My feeling!! Reach out--(^O^)

Finally the last episode! It has been a big thing to me to be related to this show, it has become a treasure of my life! Please don't think about anything and watch the final episode. Thank you very much to those who has supported Anohana up till now! Please continue to support it hereafter☆

I am Sakurai Takahiro who acts for Yukiatsu. This work is approaching the final episode too. I feel really lonely for it to end, but I'm waiting for the last episode to properly conclude it. Please see the ending of the group. Please see the "past" and "future" of the six people as soon as possible. Please do.

I am Hayami Saori who acts for Tsuruko! Anohana is finally airing its last episode! The last episode that I couldn't stop my tears even on the site... I'm sure everyone in front of the TV will be wrapped in tears too! And then I'm sure you will have a very warm feeling after finish watching it♪ Please look forward to it.

I am Kondou Takayuki who acts for Hisakawa Tetsudou. I would like to express my gratitude for being able to participate in this show, for being able to act for Poppo, and for being a member of this "company". Maybe it's a bit too early to lose myelf (laugh) I would like to see it to the very end together with everyone!

Translated in red above. I highlighted Tomatsu's important message in bold. Might sound a bit weird at places without an editor. :heh:

~Yami~
2011-06-25, 02:53
yeah!
I will give this episode 10/10
one of the best anime
even though Jintan's joke really kill the mood in shrine scene.... lol

I think everyone will agree if I said that this ending is too rushed
If they split this into two episode, I think I will give this anime 11/10 rating....
That's kind of sad when seeing Poppo and Tsuruko's confession... but also it's a wonderful scene when they started to understand and open their heart to each other
The ending and pairing are predictable but still very warming....

hahaha
I almost cry again.... (thanks God that I am not a melancholic person)

Deconstructor
2011-06-25, 03:08
The one thing I believe Anohana does better than any other anime is getting the viewer to sympathize for the characters. To do so the story creates situations in which the Super Peace Busters have two personalities: The deflective, stoic, rational side resulting as a product of modern society, and the emotional, disturbed, childish side still remaining from the characters' pasts. For example Poppo appears more jolly than Santa Claus (or some guy on crack) on the outside but is still bound to being a witness of Menma's drowning and subsequent death. Watching a close friend die really changes a person. Simultaneously Poppo believed he could escape the harsh realities of growing up by traveling the world and yet was still confined to the secret base because he couldn't get over Menma's death.

Now what engages my lachrymation gland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears) the most is when everyone has to say goodbye to Menma. The entire show started out as a way to send Menma off and it's inevitable she has to leave some time. Yet in her short tenure as a ghost Menma has managed to bring five estranged and indifferent people together as the friends they once were. In comparison to Colorful it's almost exactly the same as when Makoto has to say goodbye to Parapara (misspelled on purpose). I feel happy for Jinta and everyone else, but does the one responsible for their reunion not get to stay for her deeds? At the same time Menma fulfilled her dying wish to make Jinta cry, so she no longer has a "reason" to remain alive.

I should use more commas... anyway I'll never forget Anohana as the show which manages to make me feel sad every episode. Hopefully there's a final impressions thread, as I'd like to give my overall rating of the show.

fazer
2011-06-25, 03:53
This one of those few anime that will forever have a place in my memory and heart...

cherrycolaz
2011-06-25, 04:12
This episode was really strong. I cried lol. I started crying when Poppo admitted that he saw Menma. As for the ending, I kind of predicted it... well we all did.

MeoTwister5
2011-06-25, 04:27
Okay.... um... now THAT'S how you say goodbye. No baggage, no regrets, only the reminder that they will all meet again some day.

More comments... uh... later when I sort it all out.

RedWing
2011-06-25, 06:20
I laughed. The crying was so melodramatic it was hilarious.

Xcomp
2011-06-25, 08:46
Yet, Jinta was wearing another fitting t-shirt during the shrine scene... "真心", "sincerity". That was a scene full of sincerity alright when everyone let it all out. I wonder if they made him wear all these t-shirts on purpose, lol.

Nice bitter sweet wrap up in the end but it felt a bit cut off. Menma's wish actually turned out to be Jinta's mother's wish when her wish was for everyone to get back together and get along. So in a way, her wish wasn't really granted.

Jinta's change of t-shirt to 無常, "uncertainty" during the credits pretty much confirms things were just starting to mend themselves for the characters.

marcosius
2011-06-25, 09:03
"I Left You", by REMEDIOS.

It will be in OST 1 bundled with first volume of BD, releasing on 6/29.´

Thaks a lot!

Ceral
2011-06-25, 11:18
Here comes a wall of text: Good show overall, probably the first show in years that had my attention in a vice grip. At the start of the series I thought the show was perfectly executed, but towards the end the pacing felt really rushed and I felt that they started skipping scenes where if given enough time they would have explained the characters reasoning more carefully.

This last episode was a mixed bag. I felt the drama was a bit cheapened by everyone but poor Poppo being involved in a love-triangle, although I'm not bothered by this aspect too much, but it is such an oft-occurring theme. Also during that certain scene I felt good execution was sacrificed in order for their characters to give out their reasonings within the time alloted. It ended up feeling rushed, while they were "Confessing" one couldn't help but anticipate and smirkishly-emphathize with all the crying the CVs had to do before their soliloquy. This part was forced but it's good that they put it in to explain the characters reasoning. It was neccessary melodrama to get some key plot points across.

By the time they got back to the letters, I forgot about emphathizing and got absorbed into watching again. The opening of the letters was probably the sweetest scene in this entire series. That and Menma and Yadomi finally confessing to eachother (Sheesh! Yadomi is stubborn and is really just not honest with himself! I guess that is part of his charm.) Thinking about it, the final fruition of their relationship is really a bitterwsweet thing, especially among this cast of characters. Almost all of them harbor unrequited love, except for one pair, and the one pair that truly likes each other can never be. Oh well, Menma and Yadomi don't seem to be the type to torture themselves over such a thing. If it were Yukiatsu in his place... he would probably have a breakdown and do something drastic, so perhaps he's better off that Menma doesn't want to be his bride.

Nice ending montage, glad to see them all doing well.

Episode: 7/10. A "Good" rating for me, it gave me teary eyes and didn't leave any soul- torturing questions left over. It tied everything up. It had some hitches, obviously some parts were rushed. It was a satisfying last episode. But as a final episode, it's lacking something that would leave a strong impression, as in something that I won't forget after a week. It didn't have something truly memorable. (That's not criteria for a good anime but it is for a great anime in my book.)

Series: Just finished so I may be bias, but I would say 8/10 (Very high for me, best rating I've handed out in 2-3 years.) This show just had such a powerful melancholic feel to it and they executed it so well. Well done but lacking something special to go higher. No scene that i will remember and think how awesome that was! And I never felt emotionally tied to any character. Still a good series that I would recommend.

Kaioshin Sama
2011-06-25, 13:48
Like one of my friends said the ending was "okay" and about what I expected, but sometimes it's about the journey as opposed to the ending of it that matters and in this case the journey of getting to know these characters and seeing how Menma's death affected them, causing them to drift apart only to reunite years later with her sudden re-appearance, was consistently engaging throughout.

I'm particularly glad that when the whole love pentagon thing drifted back to the surface at the beginning of the episode that it was quickly resolved and trumped by the strong friendship theme that has permeated the series throughout. Romantic tension only has so much place in this story and I'm glad the writers realized that and didn't try to make it a central focus so much as a subplot among many.

The final part with the hide and seek was my favorite part of the episode. Was surprised that it actually had me on the edge of my seat a little until Menma revealed herself to everyone and it was nice that everybody got to see Menma one last time (the first time for everyone besides Jinta) before she vanished for good. With the Super Peace Busters officially being a group again they'll be fine for it now, because they have each other to get through any tough times that might be ahead.

Really glad I choose to pick up this show. I should thank [C], because if it hadn't gotten so hilariously awful I would never have felt the desire to try and offset it by checking out the other noitaminA show and would have completely missed the Slice of Life show that at long last managed to strike a chord with me after so many prior favors. I've completed a bit of a journey myself here and like the SPB I feel much better off for it in the end even though there was a lot of misery involved to get to this point.

CWW
2011-06-25, 14:41
Stupid forum doesn't let me quote the text within a quote. Manual it is, since this is too awesome to miss out on. Click the show button to reveal the awesome.

おしまいの時間が近づいてきました。なんだか寂しいような、嬉しいような…複雑な気持ちです。 超平和バスタ ーズはずっと一緒です!みんな大好き!(めんま役:茅野愛衣)

The end has approached. Somehow I feel like lonely yet happy... it's a complicated feeling. Super Peace Busters will always be together! I love everyone!

遂に最終回…観てもらえるのは嬉しいけど、なんか寂しいね!一人でも多くの方にこの物語を見届 けて欲しい! !頑張れ!超平和バスターズ!想いよ!!届けーー(^O^)じんたん役:入野自由

Finally the last episode... I'm glad that people watch it, but I still feel lonely! I want more people to see this story, even it's just one more!! You can do it! Super Peace Busters! My feeling!! Reach out--(^O^)

とうとう最終回!この作品に関われたことは私の中でとても大きなこととなり、一生の宝物です! 何も考えず最 終回を観てください。今まであのはなを応援してくださいました皆様、本当にありがとうございま す!これから もよろしくお願いします☆ あなる役戸松遥

Finally the last episode! It has been a big thing to me to be related to this show, it has become a treasure of my life! Please don't think about anything and watch the final episode. Thank you very much to those who has supported Anohana up till now! Please continue to support it hereafter☆

ゆきあつ役の櫻井孝宏です。この作品も最終回を迎えようとしています。終わってしまう寂しさで いっぱいです がちゃんと終わらせられるラストが待っています。彼らの結末を見届けてあげて下さい。6人の“ 今まで”と“ これから”をすぐ側で見ていてあげて下さい。宜しくお願いします。

I am Sakurai Takahiro who acts for Yukiatsu. This work is approaching the final episode too. I feel really lonely for it to end, but I'm waiting for the last episode to properly conclude it. Please see the ending of the group. Please see the "past" and "future" of the six people as soon as possible. Please do.

つるこ役早見沙織です!ついにあのはな最終回が放送になります!現場でも涙が途切れることのな かった最終話 ・・・。テレビの前の皆様も、涙に包まれること間違いなし!そして、見終わった後には、とって もあたたかい 気持ちになれること間違いなしです♪お楽しみに。

I am Hayami Saori who acts for Tsuruko! Anohana is finally airing its last episode! The last episode that I couldn't stop my tears even on the site... I'm sure everyone in front of the TV will be wrapped in tears too! And then I'm sure you will have a very warm feeling after finish watching it♪ Please look forward to it.

久川鉄道役:近藤孝行です。この作品に参加する事が出来たこと、ぽっぽを演じることが出来たこ と、この『カ ンパニー』の一員になれたこと、全てに感謝しています。浸るには少し早かったですかね(笑)皆 様と一緒に最 後の最後まで見届けたいと思います!

I am Kondou Takayuki who acts for Hisakawa Tetsudou. I would like to express my gratitude for being able to participate in this show, for being able to act for Poppo, and for being a member of this "company". Maybe it's a bit too early to lose myelf (laugh) I would like to see it to the very end together with everyone!Translated in red above. I highlighted Tomatsu's important message in bold. Might sound a bit weird at places without an editor. :heh:
Don't worry. It read pretty natural to me. :)

And a rep back at ya! ;)

Ascaloth
2011-06-25, 22:28
Review of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-wo-bokutachi-wa-mada-shiranai/) by me, up at The Nihon Review

Otaku Guy
2011-06-26, 00:32
My mind is now officially blown after watching this. :)

MeoTwister5
2011-06-26, 01:10
Flowers for A Lady (http://meotwister5.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/ano-hana-finale-flowers-for-a-lady/)

It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point. Menma’s death was the beginning of the problems they were forced to face, and meeting her again was really just the first step to personal healing they all would need to go through to finally be able to move on completely. Menma’s appearance managed to put into real perspective each of the issues each character had to face, but she was not the one to cure them. For everything she’s done, her presence merely put them on the road to recovery; she cannot make them travel the road. She made them see the problems they’ve been having since childhood, but she cannot make them face them. At the time it was time for her to leave the second and final time, she had shown them the roads they can travel, but she cannot make them move. They would have to do so themselves.

That is why Jinta’s still struggling to go to school with Anaru. That is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko still find a bit of awkwardness between them. That is why Poppo is struggling with books he would have studied if he went to school Each one has a road they have to catch up on after time almost stopped for them that time. Menma put their time back into motion, and each one still has a long road ahead of them.

fazer
2011-06-26, 02:11
I think everyone have a "perfect ending" in their mind.

How can we expect everyone's issue to be fixed with just one episode or in 1 day?
Even after Menma left, I do not believe Jinta and Yukiatsu were immediately enlightened, some thoughts and feelings definitely lingers on, but at least they eventually understood. The epilogue gave us some hints, but no real answers.

I demand more episodes! Turn this into a crappy franchise and feed me all the nonsenses I see in other anime, thus making me hate this anime, instead of this emptiness!

Then again maybe not...let's just keep it the way it is.

Deconstructor
2011-06-26, 02:41
It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point.

As I read the posts I see the opposite:

Some, actually, a lot of the scenes in this episode were cringe worthy, but overall it was a decent conclusion to the series, nothing was left unresolved, so I'm happy. But goddamn, the whole hide and seek part was just awful, I wanted to skip forward. >_<

I think everyone got their issues out into the open when they all confessed to each other at the temple. As you say, the characters are realistic to have personal problems acknowledged, but not necessarily solved immediately thereafter, as people need time to heal.

Actually, most of the posts seem to be criticizing how overly dramatic the finale was. All the yelling and crying may have worn off after 10 episodes. The characters got so dramatic, some viewers started laughing at how silly they were acting, as if in a play to draw the audience's laughter. Most posts look something like the following:

Pros:

2. Concretely answering the question of "What Is Menma"s Wish?" It was simple, but believable, and not overly predictable imo. The wish also has poetic meta-commentary to me, as this series is all about the crying, lol.

3. Firmly resolving most relationship questions, and bringing things to a proper head there.

Cons:

1. Emotionally overwrought. I wonder if this would have made me cry even if I hadn't been desensitized by all the Menma crying in the first half of the anime series. Maybe I would have, but I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to put down your post. I'm just trying to see if what you're considering is actually what everyone else is considering. What you have above is a very compelling interpretation of Anohana's conclusion, but I think everyone else also agrees with you. :cool:

I do pay attention... I just haven't had a lot of sleep lately. Too busy talking to my Menma sundress. Oh Menma, how do I love thee? Let me wear the ways...

MeoTwister5
2011-06-26, 02:44
I do pay attention... I just haven't had a lot of sleep lately. Too busy talking to my Menma sundress. Oh Menma, how do I love thee? Let me wear the ways...

Backs away slowly.

Archon_Wing
2011-06-26, 03:00
Well, at least he isn't sniffing it.... yet. :p

guuchan
2011-06-26, 03:11
Review of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-wo-bokutachi-wa-mada-shiranai/) by me, up at The Nihon Review

Actually, it's unfair to compare this to Kanon and CLANNAD - not unfair to Anohana, but to Key. If you only consider the works as pure works and disregard the differences between the original games and their anime adaptations, those are really far from the best works of Key - in fact, I'm dare to say Kanon is the most "plain" work of Key (I'm trying to avoid the term "worst" :heh:). They just happened to get the best resources for anime adaptation, comparing to other Key works.

With that said, though, personally I wouldn't compare Anohana to Key works. Most Key works are meant to be epic: tearjerking, giving you heartache, making you feel impacted, etc. I don't see Anohana that way. To me, Anohana is like a sketch that's meant to strike a chord with its audience through an ordinary story, and it certainly stroke one with me.

Flowers for A Lady (http://meotwister5.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/ano-hana-finale-flowers-for-a-lady/)

It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point. Menma’s death was the beginning of the problems they were forced to face, and meeting her again was really just the first step to personal healing they all would need to go through to finally be able to move on completely. Menma’s appearance managed to put into real perspective each of the issues each character had to face, but she was not the one to cure them. For everything she’s done, her presence merely put them on the road to recovery; she cannot make them travel the road. She made them see the problems they’ve been having since childhood, but she cannot make them face them. At the time it was time for her to leave the second and final time, she had shown them the roads they can travel, but she cannot make them move. They would have to do so themselves.

That is why Jinta’s still struggling to go to school with Anaru. That is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko still find a bit of awkwardness between them. That is why Poppo is struggling with books he would have studied if he went to school Each one has a road they have to catch up on after time almost stopped for them that time. Menma put their time back into motion, and each one still has a long road ahead of them.

Indeed. Menma's (re)appearance is just to fill in the gap of their lives. She didn't do any magic by resolving everything; in fact, she didn't really do much. She appeared, hanged around for a bit, that's all. It's up to others to get their lives moving again. That's the merit of the show to me.

Reckoner
2011-06-26, 03:21
I really dislike the KEY comparisons this anime gets. I may be biased since I like this anime more than clannad or any other KEY work, but I kind of feel like the shows go for different things.

While Ano Hana felt like a cohesive plot centering on the journey of overcoming personal loss, the other KEY stories seemed to be focused on screwing around for many episodes until revealing its purpose in certain arcs.

Basically, Ano Hana always felt like it had a point, a purpose to it even if it tried to hit sentimental chords as well.

MeoTwister5
2011-06-26, 03:25
Actually, it's unfair to compare this to Kanon and CLANNAD - not unfair to Anohana, but to Key. If you only consider the works as pure works and disregard the differences between the original games and their anime adaptations, those are really far from the best works of Key - in fact, I'm dare to say Kanon is the most "plain" work of Key (I'm trying to avoid the term "worst" :heh:). They just happened to get the best resources for anime adaptation, comparing to other Key works.

With that said, though, personally I wouldn't compare Anohana to Key works. Most Key works are meant to be epic: tearjerking, giving you heartache, making you feel impacted, etc. I don't see Anohana that way. To me, Anohana is like a sketch that's meant to strike a chord with its audience through an ordinary story, and it certainly stroke one with me.

Indeed. Menma's (re)appearance is just to fill in the gap of their lives. She didn't do any magic by resolving everything; in fact, she didn't really do much. She appeared, hanged around for a bit, that's all. It's up to others to get their lives moving again. That's the merit of the show to me.

I would actually be upset some way if at the epilogue (if you could call it that) everyone was suddenly chipper like nothing had ever happened or everything was right again. Not everything is right, and it I suspect based on personal experience that it won't be for a long time. At the very least, the healing has begun, something that could not really even begin until Menma ended up appearing before Jinta.

Pellissier
2011-06-26, 03:42
Everybody is entitled to see similarities that other individuals may not see. I also don't see similarities betweeen AnoHana and Key but if someone else does, then so be it. What I don't swallow though, is comparing one cour shows with multiple cour shows, since they obviously had a different potential to begin with.

So when I read that Clannad (49 episodes counting the specials) or Kanon (24 episodes) have been better in portraying character and expanding in emotional situations than AnoHana (11 episodes!), I don't know, I get the feeling it's a tad unfair towards the latter. For example, I've read several Stephen King's books and I find his 6/700+ pages works way more detailed and immersive than his 200 pages' productions. Strangely unsurprising, I believe.

When I think at AnoHana, I feel the need to put it in the same league of other one cour anime (and even so AnoHana is penalized because 11 episodes is a rather unusual standard and 11 versus 13 is already quite the difference). I've been checking my watchlist and I don't seem to find another anime that gave out so much in such a short span of episodes.

Ascaloth
2011-06-26, 04:32
*headdesk*

Urgh, you guys! I only brought up the Key adaptations because they're the most similar comparisons in terms of the 'magical realism' genre I can think of; I suppose I could choose Bakemonogatari as an example instead, but even then as far as I can recall, the Key adaptations would still be more similar to Ano Hana than Bakemonogatari would be.

And having already seen how easily you people can be goaded into an Okada-Maeda compare-and-bitch-fest, I kept to the 'magical realism' similarities of Ano Hana and the Key adaptations while avoiding which-is-better comparison, and you guys go ahead and start the which-is-better bitching anyway! What the hell, people...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/HyperionEnergy/AscalothviBritannia.jpg

...is this how you guys perceive me? I mean, c'mon!

:heh:

Pellissier
2011-06-26, 05:00
(Note to all) More importantly, save reviews and overall series' impressions for when the thread will be created. This thread is to comment the last episode, not the series as a whole.

Reckoner
2011-06-26, 05:34
...is this how you guys perceive me? I mean, c'mon!

YES MY LORD!

In all seriousness, both series are melodramatic and have magical elements so I can see why some might try to compare them, even if I disagree with the comparison (I just feel the comparisons made are a tad shallow is all, not that I was trying to say which series is better really).

winhlp32
2011-06-26, 05:36
I thought the episode was great. Regardless of whether the ending resolved everything, or whether it was over-dramatic, I have to give it to the series for ending very neatly. That the group got to say goodbye and have started to move on in the 'right' direction(I especially liked how Poppo's studying to get back to school) was the best thing I could've wished for.

The dialogue towards the end where everyone said goodbye coalesced into one enormous lump of cliched one-liners, but I can forgive it, given how well its executed.

Lastly, I see Mari Okadas name thrown around a lot, but I don't think Tatsuyuki Nagai gets enough credit. Nagai did a really good job in breathing life into these characters, and in my opinion he's what made this ending great. A different director might've turned Okada's script(which for this final episode already isn't the best) into a mess.

CruelAngelsThesis
2011-06-26, 06:11
I cried a bunch at the end T_T great series and overall one of my favorite animes thats ever come :D I could really understand how the characters felt at some points, but meh, greeeat series :) Tears at me though that menma and jintan can't be together!~~

blakstealth
2011-06-26, 09:37
Goddamn! T_T

That ED fucking gets me every time. ;__;

My vision was blurred when they started opening up those letters. I had to stop watching it.

Pretty cool show.

hero147
2011-06-26, 09:51
I cried a bunch at the end T_T great series and overall one of my favorite animes thats ever come :D I could really understand how the characters felt at some points, but meh, greeeat series :) Tears at me though that menma and jintan can't be together!~~

The fact that Menma and Jintan couldn't get together also made me cry! I'm a huge fan of happy endings, so if I was the director, I probably would've did a deus ex machina and had Menma come to life to be together with Jintan.

guuchan
2011-06-26, 09:56
Lol Ascaloth. I could be quoting one of the few people and I just happened to quote you, so don't take it personally. :heh:

What Pellissier said inspired me to go through my animelist though and guess what I found: Asatte no Houkou. A 12-episode show that has one supernatural element and the rest is slice-of-life. If you like Anohana and haven't watched it yet, you should give it a try. I would call it a must-watch of its genre; in fact, I have suggested it to many people who asked for recommendations of that genre. Loved it. Am I suggesting it as a comparison to Anohana? I don't know. The two shows are different enough but yet similar enough in many ways.

Sorry, can't wait to say this before the overall impression thread opens.

deadite
2011-06-26, 11:56
The anime of Asatte no Houkou deviates much from the manga though... and no one has translated the remaining chapters..

Anyway, someone had a great idea of a bonus episode or gaiden for Ano Hana:

Anaru helps a girl in her school reconcile with her boyfriend
Poppo stops a girl from committing suicide on the bridge.
Tsuruko helps a struggling artist in her art club find his inspiration.
Yukiatsu attends to a terminally ill little girl
Jinta helps a boy stand up to his bullies and become his own man.
A girl in her senior year who has not yet made plans with her life contemplates in the forest beside a little forget-me-not flower.

TrippedUp
2011-06-26, 20:24
If those stories somehow interconnected, that would be great :)

Parappa
2011-06-27, 00:28
That was a great finale. I just feel something is missing. I need more Menma x Jintan!! :heh: They would have made such a great couple. Maybe they could make a 'alternative' series where she doesn't die. :D Call it 'Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Buku-tach wa Mada Shiranai TRUE ROUTE'. Maybe they might be older? I'm not asking for too much am I? :p

fazer
2011-06-27, 00:44
An alternative series sure sounds interesting, as much as I like to see Menma and Jinta together, I still prefer Anjo and Jinta pairing though.

But I wonder what kind of conflict would exist for each and everyone in this alternate reality.

Assuming Menma didn't died, Jinta and Menma ends up together, will Yukiatsu still be be in love with Menma, Anjo still be in love with Jinta and Tsuruko with Yukiatsu?

Cabrini6000
2011-06-27, 00:45
i was crying a little bit in the beginning, but when Poppo started to cry, i broke down in tears. Its a little embarassing, but I don't think I cried that much ever because of an anime. But, I have to say, some of it was happy tears.
For this episode, and the whole show:
10/10

Blue Cat
2011-06-27, 08:16
What an emotional series. Really couldn't hold it back during the last two episodes. It may just be the best the anime I've seen and without doubt the most emotionally engaging. I felt the conclusion was good but I'm going to miss these characters a lot now.

dxong
2011-06-27, 09:19
It has been some time since I last dropped that many tears. Great story and I am gonna miss the characters!

I loved the ending scene where she managed to say her farewell with those letters she gave to each one of them and I really broke in tears reading those letters, especially Jitan's letter!

deadite
2011-06-27, 09:40
Does anyone know the sequential order of the flash backs?

Muffin scene
Visit to the hospital
Menma's talk with Toko
Founding of the "Super Peace Busters"
Menma tells Satoshi to guard the house
Beetle Hunt
That Faithful Day when time stopped

BetoJR
2011-06-27, 10:42
Manly tears were shed. :T_T:

Oh, who am I kidding, I bawled like a baby - my daughter even made fun of me (and she's only 5). This was an unexpected gem, that I started watching because of a throwaway comment on another thread and I couldn't have been happier about it. Loved almost everything about it - from the characters to the music to the actual story - and the few gripes I had can be easily overlooked.

So far, best series of the year, for me. Looking forward to the next big thing from this team.

Tager
2011-06-27, 14:35
I enjoyed this series very much, i didn't cry but was on the verge of doing so, I feel wrong to have not though...

SwiftStrike
2011-06-27, 15:00
definitely well worth the watch. loved it, very emotional.

Millenia
2011-06-27, 17:52
Best anime 2011 for me!
Need more anime that makes me cry!

Forsaken_Infinity
2011-06-28, 00:13
Wow. I seriously didn't expect such a strong ending after being somewhat let down by the last couple of episodes (mostly because I have a bias against supernatural elements and that was the last thing I wanted them to go and partly because I dislike people refusing to change like pretty much every character in this show were). But this ending was absolutely perfect. I am most impressed. Despite some flaws, this was one great anime. And although I still have some complaints about character development and the amount of focus provided to each of the characters, it did all come together quite magnificently at the end. Well played.

deadite
2011-06-28, 01:38
It's more realistic that the characters are selfish and don't change. Also, why do a lot of people find supernatural, or in this case, magical realism like 100 years of solitude?

Kokoru Asami
2011-06-28, 15:04
I cried and laughed and give it a perfect ten!
I loved this series for what it is and nothing else it really hit hard!

Lol at the double eyelashes!

JintanxAnaru !!!

LC
2011-06-28, 16:28
I gave a 9/10 because I thought it was a bit too overdramatic, but, still, it was a great episode. Menma's letter to Jintan almost got a tear from me, and I don't cry over anime! And, yes, I've watched Clannad After Story. Throughout the whole episode, I just wished that Menma hadn't died so she and Jintan could be together.

I think that Naruko is the most realistic character of the show. She reminds me of my friends on Facebook. lol However, I like that she didn't magically end up with Jintan; they needed to be better friends first. Yukiatsuruko scene was cute though!

Rather than being shippy, imo, the epilogue should've focused more on the Super Peace Busters.

Guardian Enzo
2011-06-28, 17:11
It was Friend-shippy.

FlareKnight
2011-06-28, 19:13
Not a bad job at all of wrapping things up. Devled into the less honorable sides of all of them when it came to granting Menma's wish. All had their own reasons that weren't about Menma's happiness for wishing what they did.

Glad we finally got Poppo's problem as well which made sense. Not that he had responsibility, but he just froze when watching her die. Of course considering he had little way to get help and by the time that help arrived it would have been way too late it's not like he caused the result, but seeing that scene would be haunting. At least now he can stop trying to run away all over the world. Lot of school to catch up on though :heh:.

Good job Anaru for breaking the seriousness :heh:. The power of comedy is unwavering there.

Really it was nicely done. Everyone got a short message from Menma and even got to hear and see her at the end. With everything thrown out in the open they really do have the potential to survive this as friends and live their lives.

Some possible hints at pairings though nothing so concrete that people can't mostly assume what they want.

Windows X
2011-06-29, 13:17
If you cry for this episode, you must give it 10/10!

Qikz
2011-06-29, 20:30
I'm going to admit that that's the most I've cried in a really long time(and I hope it'll be like that for a while as I hate crying). I watched this over the past three days and I'm so glad I did. That ending was just so emtional and painful at the same time, but so beautiful.

I can't begin to explain why I was crying, but the letters she wrote to everyone just set me off completely and I hardly ever cry. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Why couldn't it have been a story where she had never died and they all just got along. :(

deadite
2011-06-30, 22:06
I would argue the awkwardness of this episode was intentional. Real life therapy sessions and cathartic screams/cries are really awkward in real life.

shakeofinfinity
2011-07-02, 07:23
Hope everyone saw the white cute shorts anaru was wearing
=)

yogotah
2011-07-02, 23:36
I also feel that the awkwardness of the first half of the show was intentional. All of them crying at the same time was moving, but was so embarrassing that I couldn't help but to chuckle a little bit. I picked up this series on a whim. I had no clue that Japan made anime like these anymore. I really hope the future shows step it up and use this show as a standard. The finale was perfect. It couldn't have executed in a better way. There will always be critic no matter how the show ended, but this one was perfect in my opinion. Hoped the show could have lasted a bit longer, two more episodes would have been fine. Sigh i don't know what to watch next. Ao no exorcist?....sigh it was nice while it lasted.

anyme
2011-07-06, 10:25
Once I got all 11 ep. Then I watched 1st-11th marathonly.
This show almost makes me cry. To know that we can't see each other again is sad, even know that person goes to heaven.

Next station ,Denpa Onna!

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-10, 09:54
I can't begin to explain why I was crying, but the letters she wrote to everyone just set me off completely and I hardly ever cry. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Why couldn't it have been a story where she had never died and they all just got along. :(

That's what made the series as painful as it was. The fact that she is dead. It's an interesting plot that I'm sure has been done before, but was guided nicely in this series. But that's at least one of the factors. Anaru giving her all to Jinta to only be rejected was pretty painful IMO. The series resolved all of the character's problems. When most people are brought to their knees with emotion, it's easy to get EVERYTHING off their chest. And they did just that and were able to laugh it away, even though it's still there.

Good work, I would have kinda liked to have seen maybe just ONE follow up episode of what they did maybe like a year later. But the credits were good enough.

Jinta's dad is still content and got to see his son grow.
Jinta can slowly get over the pain and hopefully see what else he physically had in front of him.
Anaru still got her request, which was Jinta coming back to school. And it would seem as if her high school 'friends' have changed and are more understanding. Or at least self aware of how they treated Anaru.
Yukiatsu and Tsuruko seemingly have a stronger friendship and perhaps grow closer down the line.
And Poppo... he was a great supporting character all the way to the end. Nice to see the 'uneducated' guy display a sharp sense of emotional understanding.

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-11, 11:17
To add, a VERY well thought out epilogue episode would be awesome. Show us where their paths that Menma helped reset turned out. Play off those hints in the ending epilogue. Hell, even if it were ten to fifteen minutes covering all the main characters, EXCEPT Menma... Or show Menma with her family. Family trumps friends in most cases. I'd be okay with that. Also, Jintan's dad couldn't hurt. I'm not even asking it to meet what I would like to happen, just show us.

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-11, 11:19
Whoops. Sorry, still getting used to posting here. n/m this message.

kingsky123
2011-07-11, 14:58
The anime of Asatte no Houkou deviates much from the manga though... and no one has translated the remaining chapters..

Anyway, someone had a great idea of a bonus episode or gaiden for Ano Hana:

Anaru helps a girl in her school reconcile with her boyfriend
Poppo stops a girl from committing suicide on the bridge.
Tsuruko helps a struggling artist in her art club find his inspiration.
Yukiatsu attends to a terminally ill little girl
Jinta helps a boy stand up to his bullies and become his own man.
A girl in her senior year who has not yet made plans with her life contemplates in the forest beside a little forget-me-not flower.

lol or just one episode of menma around as a ghost doing silly stuff

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-11, 19:19
This.

Mostly happy with the anime, but it could've ended better. There were times where I felt really touched but then 30 seconds later it felt corny and awkward, and the entire episode was back and forth that way. I liked the idea for the ending, but...it could've been executed better.

EDIT: The hide and seek part was a good idea in my opinion, but it was too overly dramatic.

Now wait a minute.

Menma knew what the wish was, but manipulated Jinta to pursue other wishes. The fireworks were for her family, and she also wanted the Busters to be friends again. Don't remember if that was directly a wish, but she still wanted it. And she got all that and a bag of chips. While the last (real) wish was for Jintan... it was still from his mom. I forget if Jintan knew that, but at this point I don't think he has any reason to delve into it with his friends. They know it's there, and they've dealt with it.

And in the end of things, Menma DID want her friends to be friends again. So it wasn't just all about Jintan... She just loved him. But she is dead, and now human nature must take its course.

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-11, 20:35
Sorry for all the posting... But what exactly is this 'better ending' or not quite near perfection ending that a lot of people seem to want? I mean, this series completed its set goal, tampered with emotions whether relatable to the viewer or not, dealt with MANY real dramas and burdens, developed the characters enough to complete that goal and kept itself VERY real. Yes even the 'over the top' ending was realistic. People CAN and DO panic when they can't find someone. And years of bottled emotion being released so sharply is far from subtle.

Are people just deep down inside saying it wasn't near perfect because they didn't see it end the way THEY wanted it to? That's why I make sure I never anticipate a series. I let it come as what it is.

If that's not the case, what is this missing element that could make it better? I mean, couldn't most anything become better? With years of revision on a 9/10 anime, it could become a 10/10. Sure... What about a hundred years? You think more about something and it should only get better. But when something does what it needs to the first time...

So if the latter isn't the case, what is the MAIN thing that needs to be better? Or the element that would have made this not near perfect, but perfect? I know there will be different opinions, but shouldn't this series be judged with your heart in some cases? It seemed to provide the proper physical elements (as in animation, fluidity, voice acting) as well as the theatrical things (character development, story and the such). But even if some of these things weren't as great as YOU would have liked, I still stand on the series accomplished its goal.

So is it a great concept that could have been executed better, but still executed well enough to reflect on the plot/point?
Is it something that was greatly executed but could have used a better story line?
Or does the physical attributes not matter as much, so long as it was acceptable? Because the story was simply a REAL slice of life in all its bittersweetness and realism.

I say the latter. I don't see what could have been more relatable in terms of RL drama. Friends CAN and DO help each other through hard times. Perhaps this group didn't act in a way you would have OR would have liked OR both. But everyone is different. Perhaps don't think so much of how it went down between them all... think of WHO it was done from and WHY they were doing it. The only UNREALISTIC thing is obviously the supernatural overtone. Dead loved ones don't come back to help set you on the right path. IMO, this would have been more interesting if they all came back together just as strongly without the help of Menma (without her presence anyway, just memories). Just my opinion, but THAT would have been more bittersweet just because the characters would have had to dig deeper and take more initiative without Menma's aid. Not that they didn't. But then we wouldn't have the Jinta fixation problem?

I DIGRESS! Thanks for feedback.... Either way, the overall consensus is that everyone here did enjoy the series in their own way.

EDIT: If it's the lack of episodes I could understand, but I think it did VERY WELL for being an eleven episode series. A lack of funding/time is simply that.

fazer
2011-07-12, 05:14
We sure are a greedy lot! if it doesn't end as what we wants, we say it could have been better, but if it ends as what we wanted, we said its too expected! haha

But seriously I love the way it ended, I just want to see them more.

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-12, 10:27
I can agree with that. I wasn't disappointed by anything! Well like I said on your page or whatever, a half ep epilogue could be nice.

fazer
2011-07-12, 12:20
I can agree with that. I wasn't disappointed by anything! Well like I said on your page or whatever, a half ep epilogue could be nice.

Oh yes I saw your message, I agree with you!
Have anyone come across any decent doujin or fan made material that explores their future? I mean not those Hentai stuff...

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-12, 15:20
^

Not that I know of. Though I much would prefer it to be done from the original creator. It's only fair!

Demoned Away
2011-07-16, 23:52
Oh yes I saw your message, I agree with you!
Have anyone come across any decent doujin or fan made material that explores their future? I mean not those Hentai stuff...

I hope that they make a short OVA to show what happens 5-10 years from now. Maybe we can see what Menma was reincarnated into (IF she was)? I talked about this with one of my friends and we think it would be cool if she was reincarnated into a cat/dog that walked around town as the OVA showed us what is going on with each character. ... if that makes any sense. xD

amasposu
2011-07-16, 23:54
AnoHana definitely has the most flawless and consistent story I have ever seen in an anime. I can't believe I almost dropped it because of episode 1. That will teach me never to drop a series after the first episode.

I give the series a 9.5/10. <:

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-18, 01:16
What's OVA?

amasposu
2011-07-18, 02:16
Original Video Animation.

It is usually a never-been-seen anime special that comes bundled with the Blu-ray discs. They give fans incentive to buy the blu-ray.

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-19, 14:23
Original Video Animation.

It is usually a never-been-seen anime special that comes bundled with the Blu-ray discs. They give fans incentive to buy the blu-ray.

Oh I see. Well then... if that is ever the case... I shall just wait until it hits the interbutts. Thanks!

Key word, IF.

Flower
2011-07-19, 14:28
Forgot to post in here about the last ep!

For me this series was the best of the Spring 2011 offerings ... although I felt the last ep was a little rushed. That's my nitpicking though.

Excellent job altogether! I would give the series a 9.25 out of 10 :)

OtakuSoldier
2011-07-20, 11:37
Forgot to post in here about the last ep!

For me this series was the best of the Spring 2011 offerings ... although I felt the last ep was a little rushed. That's my nitpicking though.

Excellent job altogether! I would give the series a 9.25 out of 10 :)

I'll agree with that. I feel that way with most animes including Bebop. It always feels like the last ep should be double length OR the climax should resolve before the last ep. Either way, not too bad for what they had.

Aurine
2011-08-07, 14:10
Just finished watching this one.. As usual I'm slow poke on this. The story is rather superb than what I expected.
This make me really want to see Jintan x Menma so badly. I would wish for a second season for this anime, in some plot like, Menma reappearance or something ORZ but that would be impossible, but nothing's wrong from hoping a false hope right?
OVA is a definitely a want, but 2nd season if possible, sigh.
The most saddening part is episode 8 and 11 only though. I knew the ending would be something really sad...

Anyone know if the ED song has any correlation with the anime? The part which said 十年後の八月 (10 years later in August)

Scarletknive
2011-08-31, 22:35
Finding overrated rating for this...(aka 11/10) but argh cannot find it ok i give it a perfect 10.
Since when SHAFT ever make such anime that is very sad? :T_T: (though i can think of 1).

rika-chama1000
2012-01-22, 14:13
The creators of this anime did a great job imo. :) its sad this series ended but i enjoyed every episode.

Polarpew
2012-05-14, 03:22
tears were pouring down my face at the end, I am not ashamed

FireChick
2012-05-16, 08:26
Since when SHAFT ever make such anime that is very sad?

Shaft didn't make this. A-1 did.

Pocari_Sweat
2012-05-22, 07:44
Finding overrated rating for this...(aka 11/10) but argh cannot find it ok i give it a perfect 10.
Since when SHAFT ever make such anime that is very sad? :T_T: (though i can think of 1).

Shaft didn't make this. A-1 did.

Shaft made ef tale of memories and melodies. That was pretty damn bittersweet. :)

AkitoIto
2012-06-05, 16:54
I love the ending. I cried. It was brilliant.

X20A-SFreedom
2012-07-01, 08:25
I made the unwise choice and watched the last episode in work during my lunch, stupid ninjas peeling onions...

Pengu
2013-06-01, 09:26
Just an amazing story and Menma is one special person
and that still doesn't make her justice.
Can't stop myself from crying.

ArrowSmith
2013-06-03, 00:41
I only cried a bucket of MAN tears.

GDiddy
2013-08-27, 20:44
Just finished this yesterday.

I liked it and cried. It was ok.

nestea2004
2013-09-09, 21:39
I love this anime, its a emotional roller coaster. One minute your happy with the characters and then episode 11 comes and I can honestly say. It brought real tears to my eyes.

I am sad it ended now... >.<