PDA

View Full Version : Suisei no Gargantia - Character Discussion - Chamber

Pellissier
2013-04-24, 11:04
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Chamber related.

http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4087&pictureid=49973

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suisei no Gargantia fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130) for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
No campaigning!
No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

Discuss, don't chat.
Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=animesuki_faq#faq_as_irc).

Have fun, but post intelligently.
It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

Use Spoiler tags!
Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

MrTerrorist
2013-04-24, 12:14
Kyon in Robot form. :)

Dawnstorm
2013-04-24, 13:09
One of the things about reading the original Gargantia thread: When people said "I like Chamber," I never actually understood that they included the robot. To me, Chamber has always been the AI and Ledo and Chamber together piloted the robot (which is unnamed).

I can't remember which post opened my eyes. And now, of course, there's the picture on top of this thread.

Kirarakim
2013-04-24, 14:10
Chamber is the mecha but he is also an AI. Usually the mecha doesn't talk but the hero will still talk to the mecha.

Gargantia is just giving the mecha an actual voice.

Utsuro no Hako
2013-04-24, 16:46
If Chamber is as smart as he seems, why does he need a pilot?

ReddyRedWolf
2013-04-24, 16:53

Cause humans don't want an AI revolt on top of an alien menace? :uhoh:

Kirarakim
2013-04-24, 17:00

He isn't though and still needs human guidance when something out of the ordinary happens.

ThereminVox
2013-04-24, 17:21

What's that idiom? "A computer is a very fast idiot."

Jan-Poo
2013-04-24, 18:51
Chamber does show some difficulties at understanding human logic. For example he doesn't understand why Ledo doesn't simply subdue the whole fleet and after Ledo returns from his massacre Chamber comments that the Gargantians' reaction defies any logic.

I suppose that the alliance doesn't want to entrust its weapons to AI alone, it wants a human mind to make the important decisions. Judging by their chosen symbol then, it seems that they glorify humans which probably means that they don't trust anything else may that be robots or other lifeforms.

p-kun
2013-04-24, 19:46

My impression from the 3 episodes is that Chamber is in charge of weaponry, while Ledo is in charge of steering. Check ep 1 when Ledo steers the mech out of instant death.

Utsuro no Hako
2013-04-24, 20:29
He isn't though and still needs human guidance when something out of the ordinary happens.

He needs guidance when dealing with humans, but he's not really designed for that -- he's supposed to be a weapons platform that carries out a tactical plan in conjunction with other weapon's platforms in order to deliver maximal firepower at a selected target. Given how badly the humans screwed up in the first episode, I don't see what they added to the fight that Chamber and his brethren couldn't've handled on their own. If human supervision is necessary for handling contingencies, they could have one pilot commanding a wing of unmanned mechs.

NoemiChan
2013-04-24, 20:32
A robot diplomat/liguist

Kirarakim
2013-04-24, 20:57
He needs guidance when dealing with humans, but he's not really designed for that -- he's supposed to be a weapons platform that carries out a tactical plan in conjunction with other weapon's platforms in order to deliver maximal firepower at a selected target. Given how badly the humans screwed up in the first episode, I don't see what they added to the fight that Chamber and his brethren couldn't've handled on their own. If human supervision is necessary for handling contingencies, they could have one pilot commanding a wing of unmanned mechs.

I don't know about you but I don't think I would want an AI in control of that type of destructive power.

backbone
2013-04-24, 21:13
Based on what i've watched so far, Chamber seems only capable of thinking logically but not emotionally, hence his confusion about the reaction of people on Gargantia after massacring entire pirates. And perhaps he needs a human pilot to make up for it

lightbringer
2013-04-26, 06:00
Chamber needs a human component to provide lateral thinking and decision making. You don't leave that up entirely to a machine, unless you want to actually lose the war.

Patriot's Blade
2013-04-26, 22:37
still waiting for somebody to replace Chamber's mannerisms with Kyon or Gintoki's for the sake of LOLing around......

Raviel
2013-04-27, 00:29
I don't think Chamber's mannerisms need any changing, there's already a ton of potential humor with his current attitude. :heh:

Patriot's Blade
2013-04-27, 01:44
anyone else expects him to sing like this during all of those serious moments? (such as the life & death situations?)

nPrI3iEF3rY (http://youtu.be/nPrI3iEF3rY)
:uhoh::heh:

Marly
2013-04-28, 23:46
I'm actually curious as to whether Chamber prioritizes his own pilot or the Galactic Alliance.

Raviel
2013-04-29, 02:12
He's an interface meant to support pilots so I think it would only be logical that he prioritizes the survival of the pilot. Chamber also makes several suggestions to Ledo on how to best get through their predicament when they first land on Earth and all of them had to do with preserving the pilot's life.

Marly
2013-04-29, 02:36
He's an interface meant to support pilots so I think it would only be logical that he prioritizes the survival of the pilot. Chamber also makes several suggestions to Ledo on how to best get through their predicament when they first land on Earth and all of them had to do with preserving the pilot's life.

Yes, but that's because Ledo is part of the Galactic Alliance. I was wondering what would happen if Ledo slowly became more and more detached from his mission and the Alliance in general, and what Chamber's reaction to that would be.

Raviel
2013-04-29, 02:44
Unless Chamber comes with a command to deal with rogue pilots (man I hope not), I don't think he would "force" Ledo to do anything, I'd like to think that no matter what happens Chamber is designed in such a way that all final decisions are up to the pilot.

Marina2
2013-04-29, 04:36
What if Chamber becomes the final boss in the future?

Basicly, Chamber can finally detect where the fleet is and request that Lero should go back. However, Ledo doesn't want to as he wants to stay at Gargantia.

Chamber can't accept this and demand that Ledo has to go back as it is his duty....

"If not, I will destroy Gargantia" said Chamber

Tenzen12
2013-04-29, 04:44
I don't think Chamber would act aggresively toward Redo, but I wouldn't be suprised if he sent report about infelicitous ideas he seems display and eventualy follow new instruction from alliance.

Jan-Poo
2013-04-29, 07:39
I can't picture Chamber using Blackmail to make his pilot comply to his duties, that doesn't seem like something that would likely be in his program, but he might decide to act against Ledo or even kill him if he determines that he is a deserter.

Tenzen12
2013-04-29, 07:51
Blackmail? That isn't what I meant. Just reporting to his superior when possible (and than follow instruction even if it would be violent ones)

Jan-Poo
2013-04-29, 08:00
Sorry, I was referring to what Marina2 said.

MeisterBabylon
2013-04-30, 09:30
Chamber's sole purpose is for the success of the pilot. Ledo was almost honorably discharged with his last mission, and so his next purpose is to reproduce for the Human race.

To ensure Ledo's success in his next mission, Chamber would most probably be a Bro (like his voice actor) and net Ledo a harem of strong nubile females.

Eratas123
2013-04-30, 11:07
@ Meistah - Uh, he wasn't discharged:/ Ledo had a few weeks break on Avalon; that doesn't mean he was out of the army.

Kirarakim
2013-04-30, 12:17
I hope Chamber doesn't turn on Ledo

He's too cute for that. :)

Tenzen12
2013-04-30, 12:58
which one;)

Kirarakim
2013-04-30, 13:07
which one;)

Well I was referring to Chamber but to your question both are. :p

Triple_R
2013-04-30, 13:17

I agree. It's hard to see what practical benefit Ledo et al bring to the table. I can only surmise that the Galactic Alliance's thinking is...

I don't know about you but I don't think I would want an AI in control of that type of destructive power.

Yeah, the leadership of the Galactic Alliance probably watched the Terminator movies one too many times and aren't willing to risk "Skynet" happening to humanity. :heh:

This is probably unfortunate, because truthfully, Utsuro no Hako's idea would likely save a lot more human lives that it would cost...

I hope Chamber doesn't turn on Ledo

He's too cute for that. :)

Sadly, I have a sinking suspicion that he will. Ledo is slowly changing, and adapting to Gargantia's culture and society. But Chamber is still totally focused on the bigger Galactic Alliance picture.

I can easily see the day coming when Ledo thinks "Life is better here than it is in the Galactic Alliance. I'm not going back.", and Chamber responds by refusing Ledo's wishes, arguing (in more technical robot-speak) that Ledo has "gone native" and hence needs to have his thinking fixed.

Kirarakim
2013-04-30, 13:30
Sadly, I have a sinking suspicion that he will. Ledo is slowly changing, and adapting to Gargantia's culture and society. But Chamber is still totally focused on the bigger Galactic Alliance picture.

I can easily see the day coming when Ledo thinks "Life is better here than it is in the Galactic Alliance. I'm not going back.", and Chamber responds by refusing Ledo's wishes, arguing (in more technical robot-speak) that Ledo has "gone native" and hence needs to have his thinking fixed.

I definitely see Chamber turning on Ledo as a possibility but I'd like to sit in denial land for a bit. :heh:

Andarkoshi
2013-05-04, 16:20
Sorry to go into the dark territory but...

Chamber might actually be a Thought Policeman. As long as Ledo adheres to the rules of the Alliance Chamber will support him. However he also seems to be the one responsible for the Rem Hypnotic Education AND reads Ledo's brainwaves.

The reason for putting a human in a robot is to both provide tactical thinking and imagination which the robot lacks as well as to control it. I'm pretty sure that Chamber has some rules and protocols hard-wired into his programming. Like not being allowed to open fire unless Ledo says so. On the other hand he is probably responsible for controlling his pilot and making sure he remains "right minded".

Chamber might be essentially a political commissar like in Soviet Union. People who made sure that everyone was following the communist doctrine and the ones who strayed from that path were eliminated. It wouldn't surprise me if Chamber had some protocols like "If pilot goes rogue eliminate him and return to base".

For example when Chamber informed Ledo that he earned his limited citizenship rights and Ledo didn't seem very enthusiastic Chamber admonished him and reminded him that something like that should be celebrated. In the 4th episode he dismisses Ledo's desire to learn more about the planet because sooner or later they will return to their unit.

Tenzen12
2013-05-05, 00:01
I think so too (what the lame line...)

ReddyRedWolf
2013-05-05, 05:27
In response to what Ledo said a habitable planet like Earth is something the Alliance is looking for Chamber's response was basically "Above your pay grade".

Iron Maw
2013-05-05, 22:13
Chamber sure makes a nice table doesn't he? :)
Well, better than a grill anyway. :p

Jan-Poo
2013-05-05, 22:26
Chamber sure makes a nice table doesn't he? :)
Well, better than a grill anyway. :p

And he's completely eco-friendly.

MeisterBabylon
2013-05-11, 09:54
I don't want to be eating off something where EVERYTHING floats!

mechalord
2013-05-16, 14:38
Yes, but that's because Ledo is part of the Galactic Alliance. I was wondering what would happen if Ledo slowly became more and more detached from his mission and the Alliance in general, and what Chamber's reaction to that would be.

AI go rogue all the time. AI is an old soldier AI to a space marine. Like Cortana in Halo, he's going to remain loyal to Ledo.

Tenzen12
2013-05-18, 04:13
Actualy I can't see it.

He doesn't have any actual emotions nor loyality aside of what were programmed into him. We ourself ascribe "him" human atributes and emotions,but there is no actual proof about that "he" has such thing.

That said I love snarking and akwardness of this Moebot :heh:

mechalord
2013-05-19, 18:18
Actualy I can't see it.

He doesn't have any actual emotions nor loyality aside of what were programmed into him. We ourself ascribe "him" human atributes and emotions,but there is no actual proof about that "he" has such thing.

That said I love snarking and akwardness of this Moebot :heh:

Chamber appears programmed to learn, take care of his pilot, take care of his robot, protect his pilots life, and be a companion.

Tenzen12
2013-05-20, 18:57
Yes I am sure that is important part of programing. It fits what I said as well.

zztop
2013-06-01, 03:47
Chamber vs the Valvrave: Who Would Win?

bastek66
2013-06-01, 06:42
Chamber is small compared to VVV

Funkatron
2013-06-02, 13:44
Chamber and Ledo are most likely gonna have a difference of opinion

Jan-Poo
2013-06-02, 14:40
Man I don't know. Ledo managed to convince Chamber that he is the the highest ranked authority of the galactic alliance currently on the area and that that gives him the right to override established military protocols.

Chamber didn't initially agreed to show the content of classified information to Ledo at first. He probably can be reasoned with even about the non necessity to kill every single whalesquid.

Funkatron
2013-06-02, 14:48
Man I don't know. Ledo managed to convince Chamber that he is the the highest ranked authority of the galactic alliance currently on the area and that that gives him the right to override established military protocols.

Chamber didn't initially agreed to show the content of classified information to Ledo at first. He probably can be reasoned with even about the non necessity to kill every single whalesquid.

The standing order to kill all Hideauze might be hard written code in Chamber's core. He may be obliged to kill the whalesquids even if Ledo orders him not too.

Jan-Poo
2013-06-02, 14:58
I think that for the Galactic Alliance protecting classified information is more important than hardcoding the necessity to kill Hideauze in every of their machines. What if comes a sudden necessity to order a cease fire?

Moreover, Chamber could have decided to independently kill the Hideauze when they swarmed Gargantia, but he didn't move a finger.

Why should he have a problem in not acting in front of them, if he already did so?

Funkatron
2013-06-02, 15:00
I think that for the Galactic Alliance protecting classified information is more important than hardcoding the necessity to kill Hideauze in every of their machines. What if comes a sudden necessity to order a cease fire?

Moreover, Chamber could have decided to independently kill the Hideauze when they swarmed Gargantia, but he didn't move a finger.

Why should he have a problem in not acting in front of them, if he already did so?

If he feels that Ledo's mind has been compromised by the enemy's "propaganda"? I can see a scenario like that happening and it was sorta hinted in ep 9

Jan-Poo
2013-06-02, 15:09
If he feels that Ledo's mind has been compromised by the enemy's "propaganda"? I can see a scenario like that happening and it was sorta hinted in ep 9

Well that may work if Chamber concludes that Ledo is a traitor, in that case Ledo would automatically lose any authority.

I guess I can't exclude your theory, but there must be some kind of "traitor check" routine embedded in Chamber's program.
However in the case Ledo simply told him "I prefer not to attack the Hideauze for now", he shouldn't complain, as it might be a strategical option.

Funkatron
2013-06-02, 15:16
Well that may work if Chamber concludes that Ledo is a traitor, in that case Ledo would automatically lose any authority.

I guess I can't exclude your theory, but there must be some kind of "traitor check" routine embedded in Chamber's program.
However in the case Ledo simply told him "I prefer not to attack the Hideauze for now", he shouldn't complain, as it might be a strategical option.

Ledo is suffering a crisis of faith right now. Chamber is going to notice eventually; its just a matter of what happens when it becomes apparent that his pilot no longer wants to fight for the cause/mission/holy war.

Xion Valkyrie
2013-06-02, 16:21
What if Lego has to fight Chamber in the climax because Chamber still cannot override his orders to destroy the Hideaze. Then in the remains of Chamber, Ledo finds out that Chamber is his brother.

mikeomni
2013-06-02, 20:48
What if Lego has to fight Chamber in the climax because Chamber still cannot override his orders to destroy the Hideaze. Then in the remains of Chamber, Ledo finds out that Chamber is his brother.

That would be totally horrifying. AI based on human brains kind of thing? That wouldn't be too different from Evolvers with their bio-nanotech bodies with a human base. Chamber doesn't appear creative enough for this. Even ROM constructs in sci-fi exhibit human-like quirks. If Chamber started singing or something you may have something there ...

Funkatron
2013-06-02, 20:57
That would be totally horrifying. AI based on human brains kind of thing? That wouldn't be too different from Evolvers with their bio-nanotech bodies with a human base. Chamber doesn't appear creative enough for this. Even ROM constructs in sci-fi exhibit human-like quirks. If Chamber started singing or something you may have something there ...

It wouldn't make any sense, though: why have a human brain as support when you could just have the human brain be the pilot?

zeando
2013-06-03, 07:08

had forgot about that part, i agree that may suggest chamber killed of that humanoid whalesquid to avoid more informations to leak (even if, once ledo was able to watch the records it was already a bit too late for it)

Lol, not again, after "the squids are human" i couldn't bear a "the robots are human" too :heh:

Cosmic Eagle
2013-06-03, 07:22
It wouldn't make any sense, though: why have a human brain as support when you could just have the human brain be the pilot?

Law of sci-fi....computers get more level up by inserting brains into them

Funkatron
2013-06-03, 07:35
Law of sci-fi....computers get more level up by inserting brains into them

There is already a human brain: the pilot.

It makes no sense to have a brain be the support when you could just have that brain do everything and have no pilot.

Nvis
2013-06-03, 12:18
I thought GA consists of all Ledo clones(or probably all the soldiers are) = Clone Army.

Xion Valkyrie
2013-06-03, 19:04

It makes no sense to have a brain be the support when you could just have that brain do everything and have no pilot.

Doesn't Chamber do most of the actual piloting? It seems like Ledo only does more of the macro level commands whereas Chamber does the rest. Ie, they could have taken human brains, suppressed most functions so they can utilize it 100% to act as an augmentation to the AI.

Cosmic Eagle
2013-06-04, 07:05

There's a reason why I call it "law of sci-fi"

It's a trope, logic be damned

Dark Wing
2013-06-04, 12:19
I thought GA consists of all Ledo clones(or probably all the soldiers are) = Clone Army.

Actually they aren't clones at all. In the generic discussion thread we learned that as soon as they are born babies are separated from their parents to be placed in simulators and the kid in Ledo's flashback is not his clone but his sickly and frail twin brother.

zztop
2013-06-04, 12:24

A requote of my old statement...

After rewatching Gargantia ep 1 and a few eps of Valvave, it got me thinking:

In a battle with the Hideauze, would Chamber or the Valvrave(s) have the upper hand in terms of:
a) firepower
b) AI accuracy

(excluding the Hideauze laser space flower from this comparison, given its sure-kill lasers)

Triple_R
2013-06-04, 12:28
A requote of my old statement...

In a battle with the Hideauze, would Chamber or the Valvrave(s) have the upper hand?
(excluding the Hideauze laser space flower from this comparison)

I'm leaning towards the Valvrave(s) since they're more tested against other big humanoid mechas. But really, it's very hard to tell.

Cosmic Eagle
2013-06-06, 07:03
VVV has it's seppuku mode for one...

SagaraSouske
2013-06-13, 19:57
Chamber is probably similar to Bolo, while its AI is certainly capable, humans are still better at tactics in combat. And the combination of Chamber like AI and its human pilot/partner is greater then the sum of their parts.

Kirarakim
2013-06-30, 17:39
Although Gargantia is not even close to being one of my favorite mecha series, I have to say I think Chamber has now risen to become one of my favorite mecha.

Also one of my favorite Sugita roles!

Terrestrial Dream
2013-06-30, 23:01
Easily the best character of the show, I love this little guy now :).

Theo
2013-06-30, 23:33
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Jan-Poo
2013-07-01, 08:15
We will all remember your noble sacrifice, Chamber.
You taught us that AI can defying their programs for good purposes too and not only for world domination and human subjugation.
As Ledo suggested you felt that you had to rehabilitate the AI's reputation from that shame and indeed you succeeded.

May all that insinuated that you would become a villain see the error of their ways!

Traece
2013-07-01, 08:53
You know, as lackluster as this all was I did rather like Chamber. Perhaps it's just because I have a deeply rooted love and admiration for mecha. In a way I'm even reminded of other great mecha AI roles like ADA (Jehuty, from Zone of the Enders), and that snarky Arbalest from FMP who will always be remembered as having the greatest comedy lines for a mecha ever in the OVA when Tessa gets the drop on Sousuke.

You're up there with the big shots Chamber. In the words of the Arbalest: "A new and high-threat is approaching." o7

Shinhwa
2013-07-01, 09:37
All salute Chamber *salutes*

rasudoken
2013-07-01, 10:46
Chamber best guy.

I'm kind of sad to see him go though.

jeroz
2013-07-01, 15:57
Chamber best grill

mechalord
2013-07-01, 18:26
Was that Chamber's "box" at the end? He did become a whalesquid nest.

sky black swordman
2013-07-01, 19:10
*sigh* Chamber, while I understand the reasons for your sacrifice, it doesn't make any less harder.
You will be missed.:T_T:

kk2extreme
2013-07-03, 18:05
Best AI yet

Cosmic Eagle
2013-07-05, 10:12
Chamber x Ledo....best pairing ever. That end was so tragic...