PDA

View Full Version : High School DxD Light Novel - Volumes 1 to 15

relentlessflame
2013-10-17, 00:00
This is a general thread to discuss High School DxD Light Novel Volumes 1-15.

Please stay on-topic...
No shipping talk
No pointless chatter
No posting raws or novel illustrations
No posting translations of the novels themselves
No asking about when translations will be done
No posts only to update people about translation status (or to just say that something's "out")
No posts only to thank translators (please us PM or VM instead)

GrrDraxin
2013-10-17, 11:38
Hmph, I think you're one volume off there, Relentless. Volume 16 will be all the discussion rage here over the next few weeks. Plus just about everything that could be discussed, already has in other threads and the social group. So there probably won't be much here unless you guys start closing down some of the older, less posted to threads.

Somethindarker
2013-10-17, 17:03
Why add this thread? The "Latest Release" one is more than enough to discuss everything. Not like this forum gets much traffic when their isn't an anime running.

kusabireika
2013-10-17, 18:27
true, i wonder why they close it because its very old and has many pages?

Rising Dragon
2013-10-17, 18:56
Because its the new practice for light novel series. Now each new volume will have its own discussion thread, for that novel and that novel alone. For all the novels that were released before that point, there's this thread. The same practice has been applied over in the TAMNI forum.

compiladortotal
2013-10-19, 14:22
Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm, pls, just delete my thread oO...

I'm reading the novel, and have a few problems into that, like:

“What’s with you? You haven’t poked nipples with your finger? You poke a nipple not with a “press”, but with a “squish”. Burying the finger into the breast is the best part, you know?”
Wh……at……? B-B-B-Burying the finger in the breast…? P-Pressing the nipple like a button…Not with a “press”, but with a “squish”!?

In my mind, when I use a door buzzer (bell?) I press it oO... So I couldn't make the relationship with "press" and "squish" here... Anyone can try to figure it in other words?

It's about the Vol.5, part 4. When Ise and Azazel are chatting on the bath.

Really thanks guys!

Somethindarker
2013-10-19, 15:08
Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm, pls, just delete my thread oO...

I'm reading the novel, and have a few problems into that, like:

“What’s with you? You haven’t poked nipples with your finger? You poke a nipple not with a “press”, but with a “squish”. Burying the finger into the breast is the best part, you know?”
Wh……at……? B-B-B-Burying the finger in the breast…? P-Pressing the nipple like a button…Not with a “press”, but with a “squish”!?

In my mind, when I use a door buzzer (bell?) I press it oO... So I couldn't make the relationship with "press" and "squish" here... Anyone can try to figure it in other words?

It's about the Vol.5, part 4. When Ise and Azazel are chatting on the bath.

Really thanks guys!

:twitch: Um.. I'm pretty sure he means to savor the moment, not just to press the breast like a door buzzer like a hapless moron but "squish" into it slowly. If you've ever fooled around with a woman you'd know exactly what he means. "Press" means in that connotation to just do it without thinking like it's an everyday thing, to "squish" also can be meant to do it like you're enjoying it.

compiladortotal
2013-10-19, 15:44
:twitch: Um.. I'm pretty sure he means to savor the moment, not just to press the breast like a door buzzer like a hapless moron but "squish" into it slowly. If you've ever fooled around with a woman you'd know exactly what he means. "Press" means in that connotation to just do it without thinking like it's an everyday thing, to "squish" also can be meant to do it like you're enjoying it.

Well, my home language isn't the english, so it was the problem :P

But with your explanation I could understand ...
I tried to understand the literal meaning of "press" and "squish". Now I can do that.

Really thanks o/

Somethindarker
2013-10-19, 20:21
Well, my home language isn't the english, so it was the problem :P

But with your explanation I could understand ...
I tried to understand the literal meaning of "press" and "squish". Now I can do that.

Really thanks o/

No problem.

nicky.
2017-04-16, 23:42
Wow! I'm just starting this LN and was surprised to see the first 15 vols all for the same thread.
Regardless, if anybody's still subbed to this, we can chat once I knock out a couple volumes, if you're interested.

katokateki
2017-04-17, 06:40
Rather, divide your posts between the Harem, Character power-ups/match-ups and the Other Topics thread. We are at volume 23 now... This thread is heavily limited!

But yeah, if you have some doubt that's been discussed before already(and you are not sure about that), this thread might be the safer bet for you, you won't be annoying people(who are easily annoyed) and people who are interested in your topic will reply... :heh:

Sparda4
2017-04-17, 15:45
Well basically we can recap the events that happened through vol 1-15 in this thread and maybe find some things we didn't notice at tthe time and discuss the possible findings in other threads.
I'm already liking this thread :D

nicky.
2017-04-17, 20:24
'sup, guys.
I've read about 100 pages on volume 1 and I've got to say that it's boring/less exciting than the anime. I may just forget the beginning volumes, watch up to where the anime gets bad (season 3, right?), and then read from there.
Also, I don't know if it's the translations but, the writing is some of the worst I've before. lol

B214
2017-04-17, 20:47
No i wouldn't really recommend skipping the volumes. It still contains some info that is exclusive to the LN only.

nicky.
2017-04-17, 20:54
No i wouldn't really recommend skipping the volumes. It still contains some info that is exclusive to the LN only.

I see. How immensely important are these details?

anifreik
2017-04-17, 21:17
As you would expect from the beginning of a planned, long term series the early volumes set the stage, create the early conflicts and define the main characters personalities (male and female). Overall, I'd say they're vital.

nicky.
2017-04-17, 21:37
I mean, I've already seen season 1. Does the anime truly do the story no justice?

Seafoam
2017-04-17, 21:55
I don't remember the anime cutting anything that gets mentioned later on in the story between the first two seasons. The only thing that comes to mind is the Foreshadowing with Odin at the end of volume 4, which didn't really do much in the first place, considering him and Loki are the only Norse Gods that have even been slightly relevant in the story.
Unless I'm forgetting something major.

B214
2017-04-17, 22:26
The fights in the anime and LN are mostly different. Some other scenes that i remember are Azazel and Shemhazai's discussion. Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory's talk, Freed coming back after Raynare was defeated etc. And the biggest thing that they missed which i remember is

Sirzechs telling Ise and his parents Grayfia is his wife.

Parry999
2017-04-17, 23:14
I don't remember the anime cutting anything that gets mentioned later on in the story between the first two seasons. The only thing that comes to mind is the Foreshadowing with Odin at the end of volume 4, which didn't really do much in the first place, considering him and Loki are the only Norse Gods that have even been slightly relevant in the story.
Unless I'm forgetting something major. To be fair Bikou Straight up mentions Norse mythology the first time he appears.

katokateki
2017-04-17, 23:21
@nicky Maybe the first volume is the same as the anime, but really, it gets more detailed than the anime from later volumes. Have some patience.

Bigmac
2017-04-20, 12:22
Some LN scenes are expanded upon in the LN such as the talk with Rias and Issei in his bedroom after Rias gets embarrassed by her dad, and the pool cleaning shennigans.

katokateki
2017-04-20, 12:25
The pool cleaning thing was there in the LN but the (awkward) talk with Kiva was modified and misplaced. Something else was also missing but I don't remember...

DragonOsman
2017-04-20, 12:26
IMO, it's a rule of thumb to expect the original source to be different from the adaptation(s). The adaptation is after all just an adaptation. So @nicky, please read from Volume 1 onward.

Bigmac
2017-04-20, 12:41
The pool cleaning thing was there in the LN but the (awkward) talk with Kiva was modified and misplaced. Something else was also missing but I don't remember...

I'm talking about what happens after the girls hears Xenovia talk about wanting to make a baby with Issei. The anime just shows the girls surprise with a Issei scream, the LN tells us what happens after it. It's only minor but it's these details that makes the LN much better.

katokateki
2017-04-20, 14:37
Yeah, true that. That's why I'm glad I watched the anime first, these things piss me off if they are not insignificant. Never watched a full Harry Potter movie in one go ever, but would have liked to had I not read the books first...

DragonOsman
2017-04-20, 16:10
I also didn't watch all of the Harry Potter movies. I watched the movie for Sorcerer's Stone first, but for most of the rest I read the books first (don't remember exactly which ones I watched the movies for first, though, if there were any after the first one that I watched). I've only watched them up to the third movie, though. But yeah, the books are pretty good. I just hated Umbridge.

anifreik
2017-04-20, 20:29
You're supposed to hate Umbridge. She was a particularly unlikable character on purpose.

katokateki
2017-04-20, 22:54
I just made sure I watched the visual portrayal of everything as there weren't any illustrations in the books.

Umbridge remains as the most irritating woman in that universe.

But anyway, off topic alert.

nicky.
2017-04-20, 23:36
Hello once again, fellow dxd fans.
I'm now on ep.5 of season 2. And no worries, I am in fact going to read the novels.

DragonOsman
2017-04-21, 05:33
^Good. Read from Volume 1 onward, please. And for the sake of all that's good and holy, please don't watch BorN (Season 3).

katokateki
2017-04-21, 05:58
You could watch it later though. Episode 9 shouldn't be missed, the english dub especially. The *thing* sounded magnificent with all those background sounds. But anymore than this would be a spoiler.

DragonOsman
2017-04-21, 06:05
I guess so, yeah. Watch BorN after you've gotten through the Volumes that BorN was supposed to adapt. Might be better that way.

Sparda4
2017-04-21, 06:32
I agree watch BorN UNTIL episode 9 and read the rest until s4 comes out.

DragonOsman
2017-04-21, 07:09
Actually, read all of the Volumes without skipping anything, and watch BorN after having read the corresponding Volumes instead of watching BorN and then reading the LNs from where BorN ends (because that wouldn't be good - and it'd be a waste). Though that's my opinion on how to do it.

nicky.
2017-04-22, 15:48
I don't get how the dragon of white made the battle with the head angel end.

DragonOsman
2017-04-22, 18:18
What are you talking about? Elaborate, please.

nicky.
2017-04-22, 18:32
Volume 3; that fallen angel head guy. The battle was interrupted by the dragon white.

DragonOsman
2017-04-22, 18:58
Azazel was the Head of the Grigori at that time. Do you mean him? Though that wouldn't make any sense since Vali was working for him. I think you mean Kokabiel (and he isn't the head - plus he's already dead now). Vali came to stop Kokabiel for Azazel.

nicky.
2017-04-22, 19:03
Oh, well I don't think he died yet. I'm not past volume 4.

Tbolt
2017-04-22, 21:23
Kokabiel is not dead he's in Fallen Angel custody. There doing anal probing right now.

B214
2017-04-22, 23:32
Kokabiel is sealed in the cocytus

DragonOsman
2017-04-23, 05:54
Oh, so I was remembering it wrong. But he's been out of the picture for so long, I forgot what happened to him and just thought he was dead. Sorry about that. :heh:

nicky.
2017-04-26, 08:09
Gasper's 'untapped potential' and all the girls being ordered to sleep with Issei. That's just too much bs.

katokateki
2017-04-26, 08:12
What part about Gasper are you finding bad? Be specific. Which volume and scenario.

As for girls being ordered to sleep with Ise, you mean live in his home, right? You will find out later that it is actually kind of Sekiryuutei's blessing. Won't say much.

DragonOsman
2017-04-26, 09:00
Nah, the power of Dragons just attracts beings of power to him, whether in admiration or to attack him. Ddraig's past hosts were surrounded by members of the opposite sex because of that. But that's not the reason why the girls sleep with him and live in house with him (they just sleep and live with him, though - no sex involved since there's still too much cockblocking for that and it also seems like they're just content with sleeping on the same bed). [But not all of the girls in his harem live with him, either.]

There are reasons why they live with him. Just read without coming here to ask about every little thing and you should see the reasons for yourself soon.

katokateki
2017-04-26, 09:09
But that's not the reason why the girls sleep with him and live in house with him

I'm not even sure if he's at the part where they sleep with him. I guess the part where Koneko and others moved in. His house was chosen as Rias had plans to live there and Sirzechs ordered to do so. Now all this didn't happen with Kiba or others because Ise is special. He is the Sekiryuutei, he gives a sense of security to everybody. Many more people shift into his home after that.

So, yeah. Not exactly Sekiryuutei's blessing, but broadly speaking, way to sum it up.

Also, @Nikki, if you were really gonna apply all sorts of logic in this series, then, you shouldn't have started in the first place. That and with the lack of patience you have. Seriously, you don't know what Gasper is gonna be. I won't tell you. And the story gets much "better" somewhere around volume 7-9.

And if you wanna know about Gasper's untapped potential, feel free to check the wiki on him.

DragonOsman
2017-04-26, 10:40
No, don't tell him to rely on the Wiki. It's unreliable.

And yeah, at that point some of the girls just came to live at his house.

katokateki
2017-04-26, 10:45
Then no other way I guess for him to find out.

DragonOsman
2017-04-26, 10:49
Don't encourage that. He has to keep reading the novels to see what happens.

katokateki
2017-04-26, 10:53
I don't see that happening considering his last post.

At least I don't have much hopes. Not that it matters. If you're impatient, then nothing can help you.

Krudelu
2017-04-26, 11:28
Gasper's 'untapped potential' and all the girls being ordered to sleep with Issei. That's just too much bs.
How come? If you don't mind, can you be specific about it?

Parry999
2017-04-26, 12:13
Gasper's 'untapped potential' and all the girls being ordered to sleep with Issei. That's just too much bs. You mean sirechs orders to live in the same house? After isseis parents house got turned into a mansion.

Sparda4
2017-04-26, 15:34
Gasper's going to be strong. Azazel did say that forbidden balor view has the condictions to be come the 14th. .

Lucidrago
2017-04-26, 17:06

Have you actually read all of the light novels at all? There are 21 volumes on Baka-tsuki you know?

DragonOsman
2017-04-26, 17:11
And the 22nd is being translated on Zxzxzx's blog currently (he's translating from a Chinese source, though, so it's taking time). Volume 23 is also out already. Hurry up and catch up, and then you can ask any questions you still have at that point, @nicky.

aw454wtr
2017-04-27, 03:39
Vol 22 is done only the author afterwords are left