PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been liking anime?

me=D
2004-05-19, 23:38
Lets see i like anime since 7th grade. Before that i seen anime like the ones on tv but never really new it was called anime or anything. I'm just wondering how long ill still like anime things i like tend to come and go. Thats why im wondering how long have u guys been watchin it and knowing its anime, not like when u were 8 and watchin pokemon that doesnt count.

this is just to c if ill b addicted forever =D

ive been watchin for a little over a year now

Scrumhalf
2004-05-19, 23:42
How long have I like anime? 6-inches mate ;)

me=D
2004-05-19, 23:44
i guess ill be addicted forever then haha

krispydigital
2004-05-19, 23:47
ehhh.... bout four yrs. Man....i remember when my friend introduced me to anime and showed me love hina....whew...addicted since then.

me=D
2004-05-19, 23:51
I think ill proby like anime forever but ill be watching less and less after a while. To many things going on to be able to follow 10 series

srb
2004-05-20, 00:03
I don't really know how I should vote, since I have watched and enjoyed a lot of anime during my childhood, but then of course I had no idea it was "anime", to me it just was (and anime still is) just "animated pictures". So I can either vote for 10+ or 3-5 years (since I discovered just what "anime" was and the fandom around three years ago, when I got broadband).

Arwyn
2004-05-20, 00:04
Been watching since 79 or 80, no plans on stopping. :)

Sid_Burn
2004-05-20, 00:10
Im a former anime hater..., that's why i've only start watching anime when I was 18 y/o...

Prince of Chronics
2004-05-20, 00:18
most of the cartoons they aired on tv when I was kid were shows like Voltes V, Mazinger Z and Daimos .... but since I was a small child.... I'm pretty sure I didn't know that those shows were "anime"... but I enjoyed them still...

so I'm gonna have to say that I started watching and liking fansubs 3-5 years ago... but have liked anime in general for 10+ years...

chuckert
2004-05-20, 00:33
I've been watching anime for about 8yrs now myself. I first got really into it when my sister showed me Wicked City, Battle Angel Alita, and Outlanders. After that I was pretty much hooked and have been ever since.

nephilim
2004-05-20, 00:46
i started anime last year. was .hack//sign because i was looking around in kazaa and saw that curious title.

counting those times when i watched anime without knowing it was anime... i say it has been around 10 years (gasp! i'm already so old!)

me=D
2004-05-20, 00:48
Im a former anime hater..., that's why i've only start watching anime when I was 18 y/o...

i think i no why u were an anime hater. some people in my school that like anime r very uhh how should i put this there just weird. i no some ppl that hate anime becuz of those weird ppl, not a good reason though. u should only hate it if u dont like it.

is it the same reason?

Kakashi-Sharingan
2004-05-20, 00:49
I got hooked to Naruto

me=D
2004-05-20, 01:00
I got hooked to Naruto

one of my friends got hooked on naruto too. I got him hooked =D

Slade xTekno
2004-05-20, 01:17
Please post more than one line or this post will be closed for being useless.

I grew up with Korean-dubbed anime [I am now 16]. The first animes I remember watching are Ranma 1/2, DB, and Dr. Slump.
My interest in anime has always waned when access to it was unavailable. I now have a cable internet connection and now can download all the fansubs I want.

JOJOS'STAR
2004-05-20, 01:30
Since always and forever. Since "Astro boy" and "He-man" to be exact.

xfordained
2004-05-20, 03:07
first i was watching astro boy when i was liek 5 then i saw vampire hunter d but still didnt know it was anime then finally i saw evangelion then i became obsesses sadly nothing has comes close to it

Yuun
2004-05-20, 03:10
If i tell you how long i've been addicted into anime... i don't believe you'll believe me.

Believe it or not... i already start watching anime even before i was born.
Honest... this is becoz...^^ My mom and dad loves anime ^^

When i'm in my mom's womb i've already watch Doraemon and Astro boy...at that time i don't think it was known as ANime yet...

I remember the very 1st anime that i really get hook into is Doraemon and Ultraman the animation...(If you were considered that as an anime...lolz)

Anyway i got hook by anime my entire 17 years 5 months 6 days and 12 hours + err... rite now suppose to be...ohya & 46 minutes...should i mention the seconds??
(I think you got my point... :heh: )

And like others i don't think i'll stop loving them but the problem about getting insulted by class mates and friends for watching anime have make me immune towards them, is true that certain people that watch anime doesn't seems to get a certain respect by others who think that watching anime is for kids...

Damn... until i prove them wrong!!! Anime is for all ages...at all time...at all place...and is definitely doesn't suit kids age 6 and below.

Well certain anime might be suitable for them though like Doraemon... :heh:

elihua
2004-05-20, 04:52
i think i no why u were an anime hater. some people in my school that like anime r very uhh how should i put this there just weird. i no some ppl that hate anime becuz of those weird ppl, not a good reason though. u should only hate it if u dont like it.

is it the same reason?

A lot of the people I knew from school who liked anime were indeed um, odd, I guess, too. Liked to spend every lunch hour and break of every singe day in the library playing various card games. Made lots of sound effects when they talked. Obsessed with vampires. That sort of thing. It seemed to me that everyone else didn't pay them much attention, though. Not enough to have them effect their opinions on anything, anyway. Though I suppose some people do end up avoiding anime cause of people like them. It would be a very scary hobby if we were all like that, after all. Still silly to think that we are, of course...

Liked anime (and actually known what it was) since 5th grade... I think that's nine years. My interest in it comes and goes. Usually when the interest came back I'd watch lots of different things, and when I found something I really liked I'd watch all of that and then kinda forget about anime for a while. This last year I've been watching it all the time though, probably just cause now I'm always stuck in a college dorm with nothing to do. I think whether or not you sort of grow out of anime might depend on why you like it. The people who like to watch it just for gore or because giant robots are cool or stuff like that probably get tired after a while. It's hard for me to think of someone who watches anime cause they like complicated stories and good character development deciding they have grown out of liking those things. Then again, I'm not very old yet, and will probably still be incredibly immature even when I am, so I really know nothing. Probably more complicated than that. The majority of anime fans seem to be pretty young, after all.

Immortal Raven
2004-05-20, 05:35
I started to watch Anime last year. I was bored so I downloaded Onegai Teacher off KaZaA, since then I have been hooked.

I have watched alot of Anime without knowing it was Anime, so that means I have liked Anime for over 10 years. :twitch:

Ending
2004-05-20, 08:03
Like mentioned in another topic, I got Internet just a few years ago, thus gaining access to foreign movies like anime. But I have always liked of it -to six inches ;)

nephilim
2004-05-20, 08:14
quoting elihua

i ran through a little brain scan. i think complexed stories does increase my interest in wanting to read those anime. afterall i'm someone who thinks alot.

know the xenosaga? i absolutely loved it because the story was so deep that it's difficult to comprehend, or perhaps it's just a tad deeper than most other games ;)

Also, bishoujos are a factor in my choice of anime. fan service.. with or without, it's ok, but no bishoujo = no go

i'm already 19, and i'm still being immature :D

LuciaMelody
2004-05-20, 09:24
I've been watching anime for 6 years. First two years I didnt know what "anime" was - I was just a Sailor Moon fanatic. Than after 2 years I discovered AMG, Fushigi Yugi and Child's Toy.

Kensuke
2004-05-20, 10:37
I voted 3-5 years, but that's the time I have been really addicted to anime. I don't even remember exatcly when I saw my first anime, sometimes in the 80's, and I watched some series and movies after that, but my "otaku birthday" (if you can say that) was in the late 90's and now I'm watching more and more anime.

Mr_Paper
2004-05-20, 10:44
I have to say I became a serious anime fan shortly after the Akira VHS fansubs started spreading across North America. Before that I simply watched adapted and fansubbed anime without any real passion, it was just something to watch that was different. ;)

cindialai
2004-05-20, 10:50
Sailormoon.. back in 1994 maybe something like that... to think about it, that was pathetic... now when I watch that anime again, i think the picture quality is so bad. Girls in my elementary school were crazy about... sailormoon figures, cards trading...

Then i remember my second anime that I actually was crazy about was Pokemon... hehehe

kj1980
2004-05-20, 14:24
this is just to c if ill b addicted forever =D

Becoming an anime otaku is a very expensive hobby... Trust me, you do not want to end up in my level of addiction.

Now, to answer your question, there is first the deal with what defines anime in regards to your image of anime.

So to begin, all animated shows here in Japan are called with the noun "anime." Disney movies such as "The Little Mermaid" and "Bambi" are called "Disney Anime." Czech paper cut animations are known as "Czech Anime." Since these do not count in your definition of "anime," these are obviously taken out of context all together.

Then there are those animes that are obviously geared toward children. "Doraemon," "Sazae-san," and "Soreyuke Anpan-man." These are equivalent to Saturday morning cartoons are in your country. Do I include this into the picture? If so, you will get the exact same answer from all Japanese forty and younger when you ask this question. Why? Because all the said titles have been running for the past thirty-five years (and continue to do so today) and are most likely, the first animated shows that most Japanese have watched as a child. So as to say: My thirty year old cousin, myself, and my two year old niece all share the same "first anime" to be the above said shows. My cousin was watching them when she was a child thirty years ago, I was watching them when I was a child twenty-four years ago, and my two year old niece is watching that avidly every week right now.

So I suppose you would want to remove the above said shows which are more of a national icon and a pasttime. Not all Japanese are anime otakus, but most Japanese did watch those pasttimes as a very young age.

Then, we go on to the question: Are Shonen Jump/Shueisha/Toei production animes be counted in your idea of anime? This is a very hard to understand for people not living in Japan. I ask this question because...much as any other child in a Western nation, kids love animation (or cartoons as you call them).

Okay, think about it this way:
Elementary school kids in America love comic books
Elementary school kids in Japan love manga

Elementary school kids in America love cartoons
Elementary school kids in Japan love anime

What types of manga and anime do elementary school kids in Japan love? - Shonen Jump for boys, and Nakayoshi for girls.

So say that 60-70% of all elementary boys and girls watch and read the greatest anime/manga fad in their peer group. When I was in elementary school, it was "Dr. Slump Arare-chan," "DragonBall," "Hokuto no Ken," "CITY HUNTER," and "Saint Seiya." Hence, people who are in my age group (early to mid twenties) will identify themselves with such said anime on what they have watched as a peer. Elementary school children in today's peer group are "ONE PIECE," "HUNTER x HUNTER," and "Naruto." They will also identify themselves twenty years from now with this peer group.

So, what I am trying to say is that your question is very hard to answer for a Japanese person for the following reasons:

A. All animated shows are called "anime" here in Japan
B. All Japanese people forty and younger will definitely say "Doraemon" and the like as their first anime since it is a national pasttime and it continues to run even today
C. There are differences in peer groups which identify their childhood years with what anime shows they all watched as an elementary schooler.

Guts
2004-05-20, 14:30
Man, i'm such a geek. I've loved anime for maybe 8 years now. But i've only watched it for six. My first exposure to it was in a magazine preview for akira sometime back in the 80's. Seeing canaada on a bike made me go "err, this is'nt american animation. Then i cruised down the page to discover, the words "anime" japanese adult cartoons." 2 years later akir aired on the sci-fi ch ( rest in peace sci-fi an ). And I loved it.

Karala
2004-05-20, 22:58
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, I started watching Sailor Moon 8-9 years ago when I was in grade 4, at first I didn't know it was anime, but I think after awhile I realised what this 'anime' was... but I can't be sure when that happened, I mean, even when I knew what it was, for the longest time all there was on TV was Saior Moon and Dragon Ball so it's not like I had a selection of things to chose from, but I still loved them.

Anyway, I voted 9 years, because it's about right for when I actually started watching it, and was addicted to it (even thought it was only Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball) I've never stopped watching it since then, Sailor Moon was a huge obsession of mine for about 5 years! I still love Sailor Moon :P

Then I started watching a few other series on TV like DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon, Escaflowne, Monster Rancher, Medabots.... errr, yeah, I liked them too... anyway, THEN I got a new computer around 2 years ago and started watching everything I could, lol... so in that time I've seen about 90 series on the computer O___o

elihua
2004-05-21, 01:46
know the xenosaga? i absolutely loved it because the story was so deep that it's difficult to comprehend, or perhaps it's just a tad deeper than most other games ;)

Wanted to play that! And then when it came out, my brother got to it before me, and didn't like it so much, didn't even finish it. And our tastes are an awful lot alike... So I haven't been sure if I wanna try it...

I was actually incredibly obsessed with Rounin Warriors when I was so little I can't even remember. All I actually do remember is being angry it was on so early, and wondering why flower petals floated around one of the supposed warriors all the time. It seemed an awfully girly and un-warrior like thing to me, at the time. I don't think I knew it was anime, though, and if I did know, I don't remember now, so I don't count that.

nephilim
2004-05-21, 02:02
xs is cool because a lot of effort is being put into the story, and the vocabulary used are somewhat more advanced. gameplay-wise i think it easier really too fun, but the story makes up for it.

still, it's up to our individual taste on the kind of games we like :D

lunar24
2004-05-21, 17:03
I've been watching anime for almost 7 years. I don't think I'll be stopping... :)

lunar24
2004-05-21, 17:08
quoting elihua

i ran through a little brain scan. i think complexed stories does increase my interest in wanting to read those anime. afterall i'm someone who thinks alot.

Also, bishoujos are a factor in my choice of anime. fan service.. with or without, it's ok, but no bishoujo = no go

i'm already 19, and i'm still being immature :D

Xenosaga? i like that game... but i can't finish it :heh:

Gorksnip
2004-05-22, 00:43
I started watching anime like 14 months ago when I saw Ninja Scroll with my hombres. I really liked how kinky the chick with the poisonous blood gets. After that, I never saw cartoon the same way again, bra. I didn't know cartoon characters can be so tintillating until that moment.

Yeti
2004-05-22, 01:34
Well I think I liked anime too long ... even before I knew what it was ...

I watch Doraemon as a kid :S Only heaven knows why its was called "Albert and Sydney"

Argh!! evil music " Albert and Sydney a boy and his cat ..." Help me.... Someone...

Then it was Astro boy ... and then it was Ninja Scroll and never ever watch DBZ after watching Ninja Scroll and Akira ... I think thats why I detest DBZ ....after that I was deprived more or less and was ero-sennin :heh: I kinda still peek but not as much , the telescope stays home .

After that what got me back into anime was Jungle .... it lured me in and made me fear Guu and love Animesuki

So I would say I loved anime since I was 5 , knew what it was around age 13 and thats quite a while

HoboGod
2004-05-22, 03:33
i started watching back in 1998... so that would be 6 years. i hated anime before that, everything anime on television was poke'mon, salior moon, and speed racer. really babish, really girly, or really stupid.

what really changed my veiw of anime was dragon ball z movie: the dead zone. after seeing piccilo kill those guys in such a cold-hearted manner and gohan go berserk, i said to myself "Is there any more violent japanamation like this?" and surely enough there was! i began renting anime from the video store like MD Gueist, Record of Lodoss War, Fist of the North Star, Genocyber, Pet Shop of Horrors, Vampire Hunter D, ect. And then I was hooked. :D

Slugge
2004-05-23, 10:26
I have liked anime for 2 months now and i have seen about 20 series... anime is awesome... i havent had time to watch any movies yet... but right now im getting tekke the motion picture... soo loojing forward for that

mikeon
2004-05-23, 19:27
i started watching fansubs when dot hack came out on cartoon network on accident. It was the episode where Crim appears and it was a the very end of hte episode. I liked the music. I asked my friends about it and they all started laughing at me. Then one brought out a spindle with the dot hack anime on it and said "here watch this"

solidsonya
2004-06-02, 03:01
hmm..i started watching anime in gr. 2...*calculates years...sighs...scratches head...* that would only be about 7 years now. Hm.That wasn't so hard..

Yoda117
2004-06-02, 03:05
1978... scary to believe

Radd
2004-06-02, 05:37
I was watching Astroboy whenever it was on way back before I can remember. Much later I got hooked on Robotech, that was 1986. I'd say almost 20 years now.

I discovered that many of my favourite cartoons originated in Japan in 1990 or 91 I think. It might have been 1989, though. I think it was 91. I'd found an old Robotech colouring book and really, really wanted to watch the series again. Soon after I found out Robotech was actually 3 Japanese series edited together (rather poorly at that), so I was off and running, to track down the uncut shows, especially for the first chapter, SDF Macross, wich is still my favourite anime to this day. It was a lot of fun discovering all the Macross goodness I'd been missing out on.

It still boggles my mind that the companies that own the rights to series like Mach Go Go, Tetsuwan Atom, Space Battleship Yamato, Tetsujin 28 are so reluctant to release the uncut, unedited versions of these classics, yet continue to release them in their "americanized" form. Especially considering that a lot of those early hack jobs were pretty bad. Fred Ladd is even trying to create his own new Gigantor series, and Harmony Gold is on their third attempt to create their own "original" sequal to a bad editing job done on three independant Japanese series, despite the fact that the first and most remembered chapter of Robotech is now really popular in it's uncut form, and has sequels of it's own made by the original creators.

Ah well, back on topic, I'd like to think I've been hooked on anime long enough to develope my own tastes, taking or leaving anime based on their own merits, and not because such and such an anime has become the title of the week that is popular to love or hate. I've seen so much anime, that I prefere the titles that stand out and show a spark of originality I also realize some people will love titles I think are generic rehashes of old ideas, simple because for these people, these rehashed shows are their first exposure to those ideas and plot hooks.

Ero-Sannin
2004-06-02, 09:51
Boy this sure brings back memories, for me I m 10+ years,

I remember anime titles like Sanshiro ( small robot that is remote controlled really amazing),

Kabamaro (hilarious anime about a ninja teen who comes down from the mountains to join the 'normal' japanese world, he eats a lot its incredibly funny, beleive it or not better than naruto).

Grendizer (from same dude who made Mezenchizer)

Astro boy

Sazuki (ninja/Yoga boy )

list goes on....

jennwenn
2004-06-02, 12:37
So to begin, all animated shows here in Japan are called with the noun "anime." Disney movies such as "The Little Mermaid" and "Bambi" are called "Disney Anime." Czech paper cut animations are known as "Czech Anime." Since these do not count in your definition of "anime," these are obviously taken out of context all together.

Paper-cut anime...like Michel Ocelot's stuff? (Well he's French, not Czech...)

I wish "anime" fans would branch out to other non-traditional forms of animation, like stop-motion, and animation from other countries. :(

As for me:
I've liked manga a lot longer than anime because I used to go to the comic book store to read Archie and Sonic the Hedgehog comics (not Japanese, though based on the Japanese video game). I think from there I noticed some Viz manga (Inu Yasha and Ranma) and got into anime. I've always liked cartoons, like most kids I guess.

I hated the stuff being marketed as "anime" at first. Probably because the only stuff available was hyper-violent (the Ninja Scroll era) or hentai that was targeted at the older male audience, and not some schoolgirl like me. I think Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Sailor Moon, and a Sakura Wars tape borrowed from my sister's friend converted me.

The early anime available in the US and UK (where I was introduced) was all technological space stuff, crime thriller, or sex. I'm so glad we have variety now and I'm not forced to watch another "Shinjuku Devil Monster City Destruction!" video. :heh:

EDIT - Duh, forgot to answer the question. That would be 7-9 years ago.

Radd
2004-06-02, 15:51
I wish "anime" fans would branch out to other non-traditional forms of animation, like stop-motion, and animation from other countries. :(

You noticed that too, eh? Seems to me that most "anime fans" aren't fans of animation at all. Most don't even seem to care about the quality of the Japanese anime they get. I once complained about a lack of quality on some DVD's I picked up, mainly the trend of encoders to oversharpen and oversaturate the footage until it didn't look right, and I got shouted down for complaining too much.

Sadly, this is a big part of why I don't think the popularity of anime will at all help the American animation industry, and why lower and lower standards will creep into anime until we're basically getting hyper violent, oversexed stickfigures.

jennwenn
2004-06-02, 22:17
You noticed that too, eh? Seems to me that most "anime fans" aren't fans of animation at all. Most don't even seem to care about the quality of the Japanese anime they get. I once complained about a lack of quality on some DVD's I picked up, mainly the trend of encoders to oversharpen and oversaturate the footage until it didn't look right, and I got shouted down for complaining too much.

Sadly, this is a big part of why I don't think the popularity of anime will at all help the American animation industry, and why lower and lower standards will creep into anime until we're basically getting hyper violent, oversexed stickfigures.

Yes, exactly. There's a lot of other great stuff out there and I'm certainly easily pleased, but I don't consider much of anime innovative or even creative. Everything from Japan or anything Gainax doesn't equal amazing. The trend of getting more Korean animation (though that is often just as derivative) is one stepping stone to expansion for a few fans I think.

As for American animation, if they feel they have to look "anime" to suceed, then that is a shame. They should be working on storytelling and character, the real reason we all liked anime in the first place.

Back on topic (Sorry!):

Come on, is EVERYONE at this board a fan 10+ years?! I suspect a little embellishment going on. The average age of people on this forum ain't even that high! (Okay now I'm embellishing lol.)

Don't be afraid to admit you're a new fan! There's nothing wrong with that!

Lina Inverse
2004-06-02, 22:30
I started watching anime quite some time ago already, back then when it slowly started to come to Germany (Around '90, I think). I got intrigued by an article about it in a video game magazin which had it imported from Japan (and which had a Japanese guy in their team who could translate it). It sounded very interesting, and when shortly thereafter my local retailer started carrying a few imported anime (imports from the UK or US), I tried it out inspite of the quite high price and instantly liked it :D
Not too long after that, the first anime started over here, Sailor Moon - I absolutely loved it! :D (and I still like it)
I've been a big fan of it ever since, even though also a lot of crap came over here like DragonBall Z/GT :uhoh: But that couldn't throw me off.

7thMethuselah
2004-06-03, 00:23
As a very young kid (<10) I was addicted to UFO Robot Grandizer. Later (somewhere in the late 80'ies) I watched alot of anime on french television, I remember they showed Dragonball, Saint Seiya, High School Kimengumi and others. I couldn't understand a word of french but still faithfully watched alot of anime, how's that for an addction :heh: And these are the ones I can remember. I actually watched alot more but all so long ago and I didn't know it was anime at the time.
I've been watching anime ever since, with a break of a couple of years when I was at university since at that time I had alot of other time-consuming activities. Actually I think I didn't watch tv at all for a couple of years. In my final years at university it flared back up and I've been addicted to it again since then :)
So I voted 10+ ...

Kouji
2004-06-03, 01:37
:hmm: I'd say 10+ years now. Ever since anime hit U.S back in the 90s. Like when I watched Ranma, Street Fighter & the classic Cowboy Bebop. These animes and Pokemon would be what got the ball rolling and sparked my interest in the world of anime.