PDA

View Full Version : Crunchyroll and KADOKAWA buy 51% Yen Press

Variabug
2016-04-11, 23:01
Link to the reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighschoolDxD/comments/4ebn6s/crunchyroll_and_kadokawa_enter_into_strategic/

This is some pretty big news in terms of DXD. Probably the biggest is that KADOKAWA owns Fujimishobo, who publishes DXD. With both companies under their control and the popularity of DXD outside of the US, it could very well be possible that DXD will be officially licensed and translated. The downside is that the series will be officially licensed and translated. Meaning that Baka-Tsuki will no longer be able to host the DXD translation. If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.

The more realistic possibility is if we move the translations from Baka-Tsuki to an site hosted outside the US that has different copyright laws, allowing ZX to continue translation without worrying about take downs in the near future.

Personally, I, with different people on the Reddit page seem to hope DXD will be licensed at some point after the series is concluded and the fan translation is done, which will give us time to copy and save it while we buy the actual physical copies to support the series here in the U.S.

My recommendation is that we at least start preparing for the series to be licensed and to take the necessary steps to ensure out ability to enjoy the as it comes out in Japan.

Anyway, that's just my feeling. What about everyone else?

Hakai
2016-04-11, 23:22
Well, fuck.

Krudelu
2016-04-11, 23:28
well maybe let the fan translator (zx) know bout this and lets see what will be translator's response to it? from there maybe we can plan sumthin out of it?

Variabug
2016-04-12, 00:34
/extranull/

amtro
2016-04-12, 00:43
4-6 years? Please. We're talking 8-10 at least and that is only to catch up to current events.
The only silver lining here is that DxD may not live up to their standards for publishing, both linguistically and content wise.

BladeMancer
2016-04-12, 01:51
Yeah that's some really bad news, I seriously hope that such an undertaking might be to lengthy and costly to perform

DragonOsman
2016-04-12, 07:33
Zxzxzx has said on his blog that he'll move his site to a server outside of the US that doesn't have to worry about DMCAs and all that other stuff. I just hope we'll all still be able to access it in English even then, otherwise it'd just suck. But hopefully, DxD won't be Licensed (at least until the fan translation are done with and we've all already read them).

Variabug
2016-04-12, 11:09
That's good for future releases. The biggest thing will be Code-Zero's work because he hasn't been active for nearly a year, dunno if we should get permission from him if he can even be contacted at this point. I know that more popular licensed series like SAO use out of US sites to host their content so they can stay up to date with the releases in Japan.

I think the biggest deciding fact at whether DXD will be translated is the large SJW/Feminist campaign against media portraying women in "sexist" ways. Depending whether DXD is large enough to warrant attention from them or if KADOKAWA and Yen Press are willing to risk the mob coming after them if they do start to protest against its release in the west. While DXD seems to have a fairly healthy english fanbase due to the anime and sites like Baka-Tsuki the overall climate for these types of series in the U.S. is negative, or at the very least the perception for these types of media is negative. It will all be based on whether DXD has a large enough reward for its release compared to the risk of media and twitter bashing. Only time will tell.

However, not everything is doom and gloom. This would mean that DXD can be streamed on Crunchyroll as well as more DXD merch being available in the U.S. Also, having physical copies of the series (even if they are inferior in comparison to the fan translations) would be nice to have in my library as well as the images being translated. ZXzxzx has also stated on Reddit that he's probably going to move his site to a different host country so he won't have to deal with DMCA, which means that we'll still have our fan translations as well.

KnightShade
2016-04-12, 15:27
i really doubt code zero is coming back at this point. but him and the other dxd trans(ex, dx) should consider grouping up with zxzxzx and hosting all their stuff in the same place(s)

Wandering Soul
2016-04-12, 15:31
[QUOTE=Variabug;5826574 If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.[/QUOTE]

4-6 years sounds optimistic. I would honestly say somewhere around 8 years to catch up.

Sacredus
2016-04-12, 15:35
First discussion here: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=5825799#post5825799

And topic title is wrong. KADOKAWA bought 51% of Yen Press and started partnership with CR, not CR and KADOKAWA bought YP. Just saying.

Anyway, this doesn't mean that they will licence DxD right away, if even they will do that. YP now have easier way to acquire licenses but I doubt they will use it this right away - there're still limit titles than they can handle at same time. So there's nothing to wory about, at least until DMCA would drop (they we will be in situation "they DMCA'ed it but that means they want to release it or it will be another DAL?").

Gary29
2016-04-12, 15:58
Doesn't seem really worrisome if you ask me.

Zx doesn't intend to be deterred by DMCAs last I heard, the only other issue is contacting the previous translators to re-host their work (even then, PDFs aren't too hard to attain right now). I would assume the most this will do is unite the DxD translators (and anyone working with them) more.

KnightShade
2016-04-12, 16:05
^honestly, all the trans should be doing this now just as a precaution. once a DMCA arrives, you're on their radar. it's better to think two steps ahead. after the DMCA sperg last december, they should be prepared for the worst...

Ariel_Saeba
2016-04-12, 22:25
Well, it's not like it hasn't happened for a long time (it has in Asian countries like Indonesia and Philippines, mostly with long-runner series).

I agree with amtro and Variabug though. Should YP decides to take the licence, keeping up their translation with the current volumes (not including the 5+ future volumes) will take a very long time, at least 8 years (AT LEAST, if YP decides to go with a regular trimester release. The story will be different if they choose to release it monthly or bi-monthly).

In addition, DxD is one of those series with a very specific niche, which may cause biased view if the original LN is introduced to the more mainstream readers not used with DxD's ecchi and harem portion.

Krudelu
2016-04-13, 00:12
^honestly, all the trans should be doing this now just as a precaution. once a DMCA arrives, you're on their radar. it's better to think two steps ahead. after the DMCA sperg last december, they should be prepared for the worst...

also I think even though the trans already came up with an idea, I think we should be able to give them more suggestions (if we can somehow contact em...) even though theres no foreshadowing of this type of event just in case shit like this happen sometime in the future. This way, we may be able to have them keep up on continuing on.

dragon1412
2016-04-13, 00:33
Link to the reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighschoolDxD/comments/4ebn6s/crunchyroll_and_kadokawa_enter_into_strategic/

This is some pretty big news in terms of DXD. Probably the biggest is that KADOKAWA owns Fujimishobo, who publishes DXD. With both companies under their control and the popularity of DXD outside of the US, it could very well be possible that DXD will be officially licensed and translated. The downside is that the series will be officially licensed and translated. Meaning that Baka-Tsuki will no longer be able to host the DXD translation. If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.

The more realistic possibility is if we move the translations from Baka-Tsuki to an site hosted outside the US that has different copyright laws, allowing ZX to continue translation without worrying about take downs in the near future.

Personally, I, with different people on the Reddit page seem to hope DXD will be licensed at some point after the series is concluded and the fan translation is done, which will give us time to copy and save it while we buy the actual physical copies to support the series here in the U.S.

My recommendation is that we at least start preparing for the series to be licensed and to take the necessary steps to ensure out ability to enjoy the as it comes out in Japan.

Anyway, that's just my feeling. What about everyone else?

not really worry in my case, sure the partnership is starting, and Kadokawa is rich, however, i doubt Kadokawa would sink money into YP to push for more publication since they do not own YP completely yet and US preferences is differ from JP, too much risk. Famous one might get more chance, but Dxd genre is too much of a hit and miss. The things that might happened is that rather than LN, a lot of Manga would flow into the market.

As for YP themself, YP do not have the capital necessary to eat what Kadokawa can offer, the Joint venture might allow this to happen, though one should note about the profit and loss in the case of going global with product like novel.

KnightShade
2016-04-13, 00:34
also I think even though the trans already came up with an idea, I think we should be able to give them more suggestions (if we can somehow contact em...) even though theres no foreshadowing of this type of event just in case shit like this happen sometime in the future. This way, we may be able to have them keep up on continuing on.

agreed. imma talk to zx about that on the sub-reddit

Variabug
2016-04-13, 00:53
Also, does anyone know what Baka-Tsuki themselves think of this? I remember hearing that they where thinking of moving their host to another country after the last incident, but I don't remember if they ever did. If I recall correctly the biggest issue with a switch would be paying for the server. Personally if I where them I would take some precautions as they have three other Kadokawa series (Slayers, Tasogareiro, and Tokyo Ravens) currently hosted on their site. Although Tokyo Ravens is the only one that seems to have any kind of activity at the moment. While nowhere near the same level as the previous one, having to deal with any kind of copyright at this point would be bad for the site, especially if someone decides to go further and do legal action.

Sacredus
2016-04-13, 01:09
Also, does anyone know what Baka-Tsuki themselves think of this? I remember hearing that they where thinking of moving their host to another country after the last incident, but I don't remember if they ever did. If I recall correctly the biggest issue with a switch would be paying for the server. Personally if I where them I would take some precautions as they have three other Kadokawa series (Slayers, Tasogareiro, and Tokyo Ravens) currently hosted on their site. Although Tokyo Ravens is the only one that seems to have any kind of activity at the moment. While nowhere near the same level as the previous one, having to deal with any kind of copyright at this point would be bad for the site, especially if someone decides to go further and do legal action.
Like 90% of series on BT :heh:
Dengeki Bunko, Famitsu Bunko, Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Sneaker Bunko/Kadokawa Shoten and MF Bunko J are all Kadokawa labels.

Variabug
2016-04-13, 02:11
Ah, I only found links to the Fuji part of the company so I didn't have a full list to go by. Not enough research on my part. But the point still remains, they should begin their own process of moving the site to another host as to avoid any future DMCA. I don't know if that would mean they would be able to reupload series that where taken down previously like DAL and Mahouka. Not exactly privy to their rules. I seriously doubt that the owner and mods are unaware of the buyout, but I think it might be a good idea to voice our concerns for their sake as well.

DragonOsman
2016-04-13, 06:21
If the site moves to a server outside the US, will it still be possible to access it in English for free and without a VPN?

As for paying a new server: shouldn't they try to get a back-end web developer onto their team somehow and ask him/her to take care of the server-side stuff so they don't have to pay a penny (if back-end programming can do that)? I'm thinking of learning back-end after I've done everything I can to learn front-end, so maybe I'll be able to help (although my main goal is to build a portfolio site to put any software I make into so that people would hire me for freelance work as a programmer - I'm still learning, though, both web development and programming (C++)).

I hope moving to another server will also mean they can bring back any series they'd already taken out before, like Sword Art Online. If we can still access the site in English, it'd be great to be able to read those LNs there. Same for Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, too.

Variabug
2016-04-13, 10:07
As far as I know, yes. It would pretty much be like you going to a foreign website, nothing to crazy.The same goes with the language, the data would be stored in a different place, but as far as I know nothing would really change. With the developer bit they would still probably have to pay more in comparison to hosting on an American server because they would still need to pay the developer to maintain the site. I'm not 100% knowledgeable on those types of logistics but any way you look at it, they would have to pay. How much in comparison to the current hosting I don't know. If you could get in contact with the mods or some independent dev and talk the logistics of a switch we could get a better idea, but as of right now I don't have enough personal knowledge of the subject to say anything concrete. Makes this one of those times I wish I was a computer science or engineering major.

DragonOsman
2016-04-13, 15:33
Yeah, I guess the language should stay the same as long as the developers make sure of it. As for whether or not they'd have to pay or how much they'd have to pay, I guess we'd have to ask a computer science major about it. Point taken.

KnightShade
2016-04-13, 15:57
the next DMCA sperg has begun, kadokawa just took down amaburi and two others from ND. they are clearly are going after all the fantrans whether they plan to publish via bookwalker or not.

i just emailed trans-kun so hopefully he's up to date on the situation.

Variabug
2016-04-13, 18:46
I know they went after Oreimo with Baka Tsuki last time, but Saekamo and Amaburi are brand new. Now again, this might mean that they will try and release official English versions, but they could also be asses and taking down translations because they can.

Looks like BT needs to change their server quick or else things will go to hell real quick.

I read the post regarding the server cost, and the current owner stated that him having flagrant copyright issues is against his job, thus he would need someone else to pay for the site. He said that it was around $20/month to host the site while he would probably still manage it overall. Also, I do know that translation for series taken down have been relegated to smaller communities rather than large projects, which means that the series are still going and can be uploaded to the site. But again, I don't know BT's policy on reuploading content taken down through DMCA, if they have such a policy at all.

Krudelu
2016-04-13, 19:50
the next DMCA sperg has begun, kadokawa just took down amaburi and two others from ND. they are clearly are going after all the fantrans whether they plan to publish via bookwalker or not.

i just emailed trans-kun so hopefully he's up to date on the situation.

guess this is a wake up call. dunno how ill be able to contact most trans-kuns out there but gotta make suggestions to every trans-kuns out there (for other series as well) before a big move happens :/

DragonOsman
2016-04-14, 05:49
High School DxD might never be Licensed, though. The manga has already been Licensed, and yet there's no sign of that happening to the LN yet. But still, just to be safe, we should definitely keep suggesting a move to a server where the translators won't have to worry about DMCAs.

And speaking of Licensed LNs, someone who's going to move to a different server needs to consider picking up Gakusen Toshi Asterisk after Setsuna drops it. Unless Setsuna himself decides to move to a different server and keep translating it there (that's unlikely, though, since he's already decided to pick up another series after dropping Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, and we wouldn't want to suggest to him to increase his work load too much as that would be unfair to him).

@Variabug: So B-T might really move to a server with which they won't have to worry about DMCAs? I really hope so. It seriously needs to happen.

Variabug
2016-04-14, 10:45
That was based on what they said during the incident in December. However I really think that they need to move now to make sure another event like that doesn't happen. The biggest issue will be finding a person or a way to pay the $20 every month to host the site. With the way things are going it might be the best way to make sure the site survives. I'm pretty sure they know, it just depends on what they think will happen.

Sacredus
2016-04-14, 10:55
@Variabug: So B-T might really move to a server with which they won't have to worry about DMCAs? I really hope so. It seriously needs to happen.

Sorry to disappoint you, but (if I remember correctly) while BT want to move it's server, they will still be complying to DMCA.

KnightShade
2016-04-14, 12:28
just got done talking to trans kun. he's already planning on moving to another host should something happen. for now things can settle down.

DragoMuseveni
2016-04-14, 12:40
The DMCAs allways will be there . You just have to find a host in a country that DMCA doesn`t hold such an influence . And so many translators retire from this "battle"
I wonder if the DCMAs can be avoided if the site can become privat . Lets say like i dunno the DRRR chat?

DragonOsman
2016-04-14, 16:02
Yeah, I guess if it's impossible to escape from the DMCA hammer completely, the best alternative would be to move to a site hosted in a country where DMCAs don't have that much influence.

By the way, I just got a reply from Setsuna after I'd emailed him. He asked me if I know how he should move his site from Wordpress to another host or server. Anyone have a good answer?

Wade Wilson
2016-04-14, 16:16
I know 4 translators, one of them is a friend and other is very well known among the community. DMCA's are always going to mess with their work ONLY if they post on sites/forums/servers on USA. If they move their work to another place located outside the jurisdiction where the DMCA applies then there is no problem.

Now regarding BT there is a huge problem, not beause where is located the server (which is a problem as we know) is because the amount of titles they're working is huge and that always bring the attention of anyone who works with the same titles, technically and legally speaking DMCA shouldn't be a problem if they move the server to another place but that's just matter of what is the admin gonna do.

And for the ones asking if moving the transations to another server or place not covered by this DMCA should work, the answer is yes, laws have territorial application and only work inside certain country, they can't interfere outside the border limits of the country. At best they can send a "warning" if the translators do a mistake, like certain scanlation group who went to jail for working licenced titles.

KnightShade
2016-04-14, 16:41
Yeah, I guess if it's impossible to escape from the DMCA hammer completely, the best alternative would be to move to a site hosted in a country where DMCAs don't have that much influence.

By the way, I just got a reply from Setsuna after I'd emailed him. He asked me if I know how he should move his site from Wordpress to another host or server. Anyone have a good answer?

tell him to talk to zx via his email. as a matter a fact i'll give a hand

DragonOsman
2016-04-14, 16:50
Will this be a good thing to say?
Zxzxzx, the guy who’s translating High School DxD from a Chinese source on his blog, should know how to do the move to a different server outside the US, so you should try asking him. Kidstandout said he might help out with the talk or whatever

DragoMuseveni
2016-04-14, 16:51
He can make a backup , install wordpress on another server and from there he just have to upload the backup and he is done . The only problem i think he will have is the menu links , they must be edited manually .

KnightShade
2016-04-14, 16:56
Will this be a good thing to say?

yeah thats fine

DragonOsman
2016-04-14, 17:05
I just sent him the email. And just now, when I went to Zxzxzx's site, I found that it's down for maintenance because he's moving it to a different server. Good news, neh?

KnightShade
2016-04-14, 17:21
I just sent him the email. And just now, when I went to Zxzxzx's site, I found that it's down for maintenance because he's moving it to a different server. Good news, neh?

good news indeed!

Variabug
2016-04-14, 20:06
So that's one problem out of the way. The next thing is to hope that BT does the same.

dragon1412
2016-04-15, 09:31
seem like BT need to do something about this soon, it's another things for series that's soon going to get licensed to be targeted, but amaburi and oreimo clearly isn't going to have that shot. It's just a matter of sooner or later now

DragonOsman
2016-04-15, 09:59
True. Here's to hoping they go through with the move. Same for Setsuna, too.

anthonygarbage
2016-04-15, 21:00
Is jerutz also moving his site (he is doing EX right?)

DragonOsman
2016-04-16, 01:53
It seems like Zxzxzx's site needs more work. The email and CDN functionality aren't done yet so we can't even message him right now, and when I tried to follow links to LN chapters or to reply to a post on the main page, I got an error saying that the page I tried to follow isn't on the server. Does someone know how to contact him and tell him about this in case he doesn't know (he mentioned the mail and CDN problem in a post on the main page, but it's the rest of what I said that he probably needs to be informed of)?

dragon1412
2016-04-16, 05:30
It seems like Zxzxzx's site needs more work. The email and CDN functionality aren't done yet so we can't even message him right now, and when I tried to follow links to LN chapters or to reply to a post on the main page, I got an error saying that the page I tried to follow isn't on the server. Does someone know how to contact him and tell him about this in case he doesn't know (he mentioned the mail and CDN problem in a post on the main page, but it's the rest of what I said that he probably needs to be informed of)?

just wait, setting up a site isn't that easy, give the guy 1 week at least :heh:

DragonOsman
2016-04-16, 06:11
I guess you're right. I just wanted to point out that the links aren't working right as of right now.

DragoMuseveni
2016-04-16, 08:45
Anyway , i am thankfull that zx moved his site . I believe it wasn`t only me who barely could acces the site ( connection being so slow ) . Anyway , editing the database should solve the problem , but yeah the whole process can take a week .

DragonOsman
2016-04-16, 10:09
Dual Blades said on Setsuna's site that they'll really be dropping Gakusen after translating up to the end of Volume 9. Now I'm really about whether or not Setsuna will be switching to a different server so he can continue translating Gakusen. I hope I knew what he'd said to Kidstandout and Zxzxzx.

King of the End
2016-04-18, 01:41
Hope I'm no interrupting but ZXzxzx's site seems to be up and running. I just checked it again right now, so from my end everything seems good to go. Also just went through this thread and I'd like to say thank you to you guys for taking such a proactive role in safeguarding the community. Though I have to ask doesn't this thread kind of go against the ToS?:confused:

KnightShade
2016-04-18, 11:54
Dual Blades said on Setsuna's site that they'll really be dropping Gakusen after translating up to the end of Volume 9. Now I'm really about whether or not Setsuna will be switching to a different server so he can continue translating Gakusen. I hope I knew what he'd said to Kidstandout and Zxzxzx.

either dual is out of the loop or setsuna changed his mind. it may also be possible that even with a host switch, he still will drop it because muh support the industry. i'd say PM Dual Blades and see what he says.

DragonOsman
2016-04-20, 06:50
I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but I just made a post on Setsuna's blog about it along with also mentioning some of my thoughts on the plot-point involving Claudia's wish and the Rusalka girls' opinion/thoughts about Ayato.

I think I'll PM Dual Blades, too, though. Thanks for the suggestion (I'll wait for your reply to this post before PM'ing him or not, though).

Edit: By the way, most of Zxzxzx's blog is working fine now except that I can't make comments there since I get a database connection problem error whenever I try. And some of the pages have the white part covering most of the page's width with only a bit of the checkerboard dark gray background peaking from behind the white area. Anyone know of a way to contact him to tell him this, as he did say we should contact him about anything we find amiss?

XFire
2016-05-27, 17:58
I don't know about all of you, but the first thing I did after hearing about this was grab and copy every volume translated so far.