PDA

View Full Version : Is TV Tokyo really so strict?

servidor
2007-07-30, 19:40
After seeing the many jokes that are done in Hayate no Gotoku about censorship, I was wondering if TV Tokyo is really tough about the content in the anime they air? At least those shows with a young audience. Of some of the current shows being aired, like D.Gray Man, Kenichi been maybe the most risque, Seto no Hanayome, etc. you rarely see panty-shots (I can live without them) if any or brief nudity (I can live without them too). I belive that this policy begun after the Pokemon seizure, any thoughts in this matter?

Aoie_Emesai
2007-07-30, 21:32
After seeing the many jokes that are done in Hayate no Gotoku about censorship, I was wondering if TV Tokyo is really tough about the content in the anime they air? At least those shows with a young audience. Of some of the current shows being aired, like D.Gray Man, Kenichi been maybe the most risque, Seto no Hanayome, etc. you rarely see panty-shots (I can live without them) if any or brief nudity (I can live without them too). I belive that this policy begun after the Pokemon seizure, any thoughts in this matter?

Almost forgot about that incident. After watching a movie of the part that created that incident, I can understand why some people would have seizures from that moment in time. Flashing red and blue so suddenly over and over again.

For the Hayate remarks, I think those are meant to be jokes and laughing matters rather than censorship. Though they do mention some protected names and suches, I think if it's used for references it should be ok. But I may be wrong.

Pokemon Incident link (http://animefan25.tripod.com/seizures.htm)

here's a youtube video of the part of pokemon that cause it. It really does incude some pain to the eyes in the dark. I don't recommend watching it even if you don't suffer from seizures, but for refrences and infomation i'll post it. I tried it myself, it's rather horrifying but not unbearable.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SBsHijp6jec

Potatochobit
2007-07-30, 21:51
You live in canada. on public TV how many panty shots do you see everyday? why dont you count them tomorrow then come back and post your results.

If panty shots abounded in hayate no gokuto I would not be watching the anime most likely. In my opinion, Kenichi already has too many unwarranted fan service shots. Sure, there is bound to be some during Miu's fight scenes, but usually they have extra large proportions of Miu's behind in too many episodes. Fan service shots all over the place do not make a good anime. Look at Negima, for example.
A good fan service shot would be in the water park episode of kenichi, when Miu was going up the slide, that is done with taste. More tasteful shots would be fine in kenichi during fight scenes.

this is the policy that started after the pokemon seizure:

Please watch anime in a bright lit room far away from the TV. Da~zo!

however, it is true that censorship of pedophilia has been becoming stricter, which is a good thing. at a point there it was almost on the verge of a rampage.

Aoie_Emesai
2007-07-30, 21:55
You live in canada. on public TV how many panty shots do you see everyday? why dont you count them tomorrow then come back and post your results.

If panty shots abounded in hayate no gokuto I would not be watching the anime most likely. In my opinion, Kenichi already has too many unwarranted fan service shots. Sure, there is bound to be some during Miu's fight scenes, but usually they have extra large proportions of Miu's behind in too many episodes. Fan service shots all over the place do not make a good anime. Look at Negima, for example.
A good fan service shot would be in the water park episode of kenichi, when Miu was going up the slide, that is done with taste. More tasteful shots would be fine in kenichi during fight scenes.

this is the policy that started after the pokemon seizure:

Please watch anime in a bright lit room far away from the TV. Da~zo!

however, it is true that censorship of pedophilia has been becoming stricter, which is a good thing. at a point there it was almost on the verge of a rampage.

True, the Loli phase of anime seems to have struck a very large percentage, even if they're acting on the Age past consent, they're still children to most of our eyes.

4Tran
2007-07-30, 23:55
I don't know that much about TV Tokyo, but the Japanese TV company with the strictest BS&P has been Fuji TV. The most famous examples of its censorship was the heavy editing of Gantz and Girls Bravo in 2004. It was heavy enough that entire scenes were excised or (literally) unwatchable.

Overall, Japanese television standards have become more restrictive - in the '80s and early '90s, there'd be nudity in prime time shows like Ranma. This no longer seems to be the case any more. This change is probably closely related to the otaku-backlash in the late '90s.

By the way, the Pokemon incident isn't an example of censorship at all. It's actually a legitimate health concern, so it's much more a duty of care issue.

SeijiSensei
2007-07-31, 06:10
the otaku-backlash in the late '90s

Hmm, that sounds interesting. Any pointers to stories about this I can read on the web? Or perhaps just a quick historical synopsis for those of us who lack your perspective?

I only watched a couple of episodes of Girls Bravo, but if they cut out the nudity and ecchi scenes in the ones I watched, the resulting show would have been about ten minutes long.

4Tran
2007-07-31, 08:29
Hmm, that sounds interesting. Any pointers to stories about this I can read on the web? Or perhaps just a quick historical synopsis for those of us who lack your perspective?
Wikipedia usually isn't the best source of information, but this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_moe_zoku) indicates that the Miyazaki murders seems to be where it started. I have my suspicion that the Sakakibara murders played their role as well - Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1116677377.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) claims that it certainly had an effect on movies.

I only watched a couple of episodes of Girls Bravo, but if they cut out the nudity and ecchi scenes in the ones I watched, the resulting show would have been about ten minutes long.
You may or may not have watched the DVD version. In the original broadcast, nudity was covered up by darkening or lightening the entire frame - to the extent that the characters themselves couldn't be seen any more. Another easy way to check is whether you saw the banana-eating scene; it wasn't shown in the broadcast version.

GunBladeKid09
2007-07-31, 09:59
If it's true then most of the kids that watch mecha shows would be in trouble..

LynnieS
2007-07-31, 11:39
Including the material being turned into anime, you also have to consider the airing time as well, IMHO. Looking at Yahoo Japan's TV listings:

Hayate no Gotoku: Sunday mornings at 10:00
Seto no Hanayome: Monday mornings at 02:00
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi: Sunday mornings at 00:55
D. Gray Man: Tuesday nights at 18:30

I seem to also remember the pulling(?) of a "Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama" episode awhile ago when there was a real-life crime (a kidnapping, I believe) committed by someone branded as an otaku (and I think, was one)?

Otakus haven't been really in the mainstream, IMHO - even with "Densha Otoko" being pretty popular about a year or so ago.

Aoie_Emesai
2007-08-01, 19:30
"I haven't promoted the censorship of loli" or did my choice of word make you think? If so that's your opinion. I live by my morals, and If you dislike me cause of that, that is your problem to deal with, not mine. I also happen to have a very open mind to things that doesn't directly effect or does. My opinion changes along with informations i've gathered up through random pursuit of knowledge.

back to the topic -

If you think about it, censorship is there to ensure that the opinion of the masses are heard. For me, I haven't really been the censorship person, I understand that parents are trying to shield the children from bad media and television shows that they feel is improper to the kind of life they're trying to present to their children and it damages their morality.

Your opinion counts too. (not much to influence me, but it's a scratch)