PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2007 Anime Review Thread: Post Your Opinion and Grade

Pellissier
2007-10-10, 23:46
Like we've done in previous seasons, list any Fall 2007 anime that you've seen, talk about why you like (or dislike) it, and give it a grade. Fall 2007 refers to anime which begun airing in October, November and December (also at the end of September).

Use this format:

Title: Title of anime i.e. Da Capo 2
Rating: A+ - F scale, i.e. D+ or C or B-
Episodes Viewed: Episodes you have seen. i.e. 1 - 3
(Mini-Review goes here. i.e. I'm not particularly impressed with the first episode of Da Capo 2 since it only introduced a bunch of characters without giving them a background. But perhaps it will redeem later.)

Micchi
2007-10-14, 17:23
Title: Shugo Chara!
Rating: A-
Episodes Viewed: 2
A new series from Peach-Pit, makers of DearS, Rozen Maiden and Zombie Loan. A standard mahou shoujo series with lots of bright colours and funny scenes. It reminds me heavily of Cardcaptor Sakura, which is a good thing since it doesn't have the heavy fanservice scenes common nowadays. Animation was solid, seiyuus were ok, great OP and plot seems to be progressing nicely. Here's hoping for this to continue!

hideFan
2007-10-14, 20:03
Title:Myself; Yourself
Rating: B
This show as at the bottom of my 'to watch' list for this fall, but now its near the top of my weekly get list. The first episode was a bit slow, but I gave it a chance (As I watch fall animes up to their third episode). After watching episode two, I bumped it up from a D to a B. Sure it's cheesy childhood romance. Sure one of the main characters has the most annoying voice... ever. But I see so much potential in it... Lets pray it turns out like School Days... (Sarcasm!?)

Rembr
2007-10-14, 21:14
Title: Bamboo Blade
Rating: Looking forward to next week
Episodes Viewed: 3

It's top-runner of the season out of the newbies. Characters are fun (while somewhat unbelievable), plot seems decent so far, and Tamaki has delivered some serious power on a lot of different levels. ED Anco Iri Pasta Rice is a hot trend.

Episode 3 and still going strong. A sports anime with yandere in it, how avant garde.

Title: Minami-ke
Rating: Looking forward to next week

The best fix for people thirsting for Lucky Star/Azumanga this season. Characters are very balanced and has a lot of good laughs.

Title: Clannad
Rating: Watching it as default; looking forward to next week

Seems like a default watch for everyone (except for the rabid haters.) The execution is beautiful, and the storyline has potential. Not so much into eroge/galge deals, but I can follow this one just fine.

Title: Genshiken 2
Rating: Watching it as default; looking forward to next week
Episodes Viewed: 1

It's Genshiken. If people are coming from season 1, I'm sure they knows what this show has to offer.

Title: Shana 2
Rating: Watching it as default
Episodes Viewed: 1 + 2

First two episode has been quirky, since it's a semi-recap, semi-plot-fixer. But the next week promises to be interesting. And it's Shana, so it's very fun to watch how the storyline is going to unfold this season.

Title: Sketch Book
Rating: Looking forward to next week (+)

It's a nice quiet-down and fall asleep kind of anime, and I mean that in a good way. Episode 3 is making me appreciate the series more and more.

Title: Dragonaut
Rating: Watching it to kill time

A Gonzo doohicky. I don't have a reason to dig it yet, but it hasn't thrown me off either. Some fun VAs.

Title: Mokke
Rating: Seems promising

It's an interesting show where each week you get to explore a folklore about Japanese mythical creatures. Concept seems fun, but the pace so far has been just okay. I'll keep watching it since certain episodes might be very interesting.

Title: Moyashimon
Rating: Seems promising

It's an even more interesting show where each week you get to explore germs at a Japanese college. First episode looks fun. Nothing stood out, but the concept by itself could make this a winner.

Title: Myself;Youtself
Rating: Watching it for the Nico comments.

Pretty much an ordinary galge/romance pitch. Nico comments on this are hilarious though, which makes the show a lot more entertaining to watch than it should be. As for the actual plot, if things get violent ala School Days, it might be interesting.

Title: Goshushuu-sama Ninomiya-kun
Rating: Watching it to kill time

Ordinary fanservice pitch. The storyline is decent and there are some explosive moments but it really haven't done anything for me. Like My;Your, I'm just slowly dropping it.

Title: Night Wizard
Rating: About to drop

First episode was sort of interesting, but second episode seem to imply that this is too generic for a strong score. Third was still ordinary. About to drop, although I can never get myself to drop an anime when I get this far.

Title: Prism Arc
Rating: About to drop

First episode was explosive but all over the place, and second episode was full of over-the-top silliness that didn't seem to belong. It has faint promise but will drop soon if nothing happens next ep or so.

Title: Neuro
Rating: Not for me.. for now

Not what I expected out of the previews I've seen. It's pretty funny, though. Once I get over the fact that this is more a comedy than a dark monster show, I might pick it up later.

Title: Shugo Chara
Rating: Not for me

I actually thought it was decent and fun episode and two. However it's too shoujo for me so I'll pass. I'll recommend it to people who do like those sort of things, though.

I think that's all I've seen so far. Rest of the stuff of the season I probably won't pick up unless it really makes a noise.

Pakxenon
2007-10-15, 08:20
Title: CLANNAD
Rating: A
Episodes: 2
Great animation quality as always, but I still need HD!!! Anyways, new KEY adaption from KyoAni, and so far they're bringing in the plot fast and furious with a few jokes in between. I get disjointed by the Windows Movie Maker transitions, but it all comes together at the end of the episode. This should have been extended to 50 episodes - I don't mind a slower plot as long as it has more time for story instead of rushing everything.

Title: Gundam 00
Rating: B+
Sunrise... seems to be raising the animation quality exponentially every series... only a year ago Code Geass still looked like Gundam SEED, and Mai-Otome Zwei still looked like Mai-HiME. Xenoglossia was absolutely gorgeous (except for the CG), and now look at 00 - it looks frikin' amazing. New story setups and great battles, this series is promising.

Title: Shakugan no Shana Second
Rating: C
Watching this because of the first season, which I didn't really like all that much after it devolved into a monster-of-the-week theme, but still entertaining. Here, we got a semi-recap for a first episode, and diving into the usual the second. Visuals improved, of course.

Title: Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
While Akagi was badass and GAR, Kaiji is a wimpy whiny bitch who doesn't even realize he was getting scammed. However, the atmosphere of the game and music holds the tension, and I can't wait for more.

Title: Da Capo II
Rating: F
Episodes: 1
First episode reeked of cheesy cliche, save for the confession at the end. I think I'll favour Myself; Yourself (on hold until I have time this week) over Da Crapo.

Not an anime:
Title: Negima! Live Action
Rating: D-
Oh the horror of Akamatsu adaptions. This isn't any different. In fact, it's worse than everything in the past put together. I'm watching this for the lulz, though.

KholdStare
2007-10-15, 14:01
Title: Shakugan no Shana 2
Rating: B-

It's not that bad but so far it's just average and doesn't live up to its expectancies IMO. There's no way I can rate this series without comparison to the first series, and let's just hope it comes near the level of interest the first series offers. Kazumi is still cute. :love:

I really liked the first episode for some reason, but the second one just didn't have the same pace and plot I was looking for. Everything seems to happen at the end of the episode, and the male lead is kinda meh.

Title: Mimami-ke

This anime is hilarious, and could possibly live up to my expectations as a good comedy anime for the season. I never even heard of it until the season started, and it was a good surprise.

Title: Kaiji

One word: ithasaverycatchyplot. This is probably the most interesting anime of this season and I stayed glued to the screen for the duration of the second episode. I can't say I like the art very much, but wow, it's exciting.

Title: Myself; Yourself

I think it's an interesting show, but I'm still not sure on if it will last. I enjoyed the first two episodes, but nevertheless, Aoi's voice is too annoying for this series to have an A.

Title: Blue Drop

Hm, I've never watched a yuri series before (in which the main focus was yuri) but so far I've been enjoying it. I'm still not sure about it, but the first episode was at lesat, not a turn off.

Title: ef -a tale of memories-
Rating: 1
Episodes: B

I had to watch it twice to really get into it, and I'm not sure what else to say about it. I have to watch more to comment.

-CaliphLysius-
2007-10-15, 15:30

It's just too boring at the moment. The way that the characters were introduced seems to be lifted directly from your average visual novel game, and none of them have made any significant impact thus far (to the point where it's still way too easy to confuse the characters, not only on visual looks but also on personality). The protagonist seems to be pretty typical as well, normal teenage boy that has some traumatic experience involving his family in the past. I will say the visuals are (as per KyoAni standards) quite stunning, it's just that the material behind the visuals is "meh" at best, at least at the moment.

They've managed to do a great setup in the first 2 episodes of the global setting. While the political setting isn't too much out of the ordinary (3 factions vying for dominance, each with an equal part of the globe? you don't say!), the potential for some intricate interactions definitely exists. This series will rise and fall based on what they do with the characters - if they actually bother developing them into possessors of something resembling humanity. this series can easily rise to become the best series out of the Fall lineup. If they don't, we'll once again be stuck with deadpan characters in a futuristic mecha anime, and the series will fall. Hopefully character development is fleshed out in the upcoming episodes, me and my friends are already making unfavorable connections between the new Gundam pilots with the pilots from Gundam Wing....

Plan to watch:

Myself, Yourself
Bamboo Blade
Shakugan no Shana 2 (once I get around to Shakugan no Shana 1!)

Skyfall
2007-10-15, 16:59
Title: Myself ; Yourself

Overall pretty bland series thus far. Average setting, average characters, average and typical execution. There are some hints that the show might have a few surprises in store for us, but thus far it is a very bland experience and there is little to set it apart from other shows of this type.

Another entry in the Da Capo franchise. The characters might be on the bland side a bit, but the first episode came with unexpected surprise. Sadly, the second episode was somewhat of a letdown. Never the less i am expecting a decent result, while nothing outstanding.

Rating: C+

Overall this has potential, and the Mobile Suits don't seem nearly as overpowered as one might expect. At least the grunts seem to be doing their job more or less instead of being a mindless canon fodder. Usual angsty teenagers don't really bother me :)

Title: Shakugan no Shana II
Rating: C-

The animation has improved comparing to the first season, but story-wise episode 1 was a complete waste of time, while 2 was decent but could have been better. I don't particularly like the stuff they seem to be doing with Yuji, but will have to see how it turns out. Fells lacking thus far.

Title: Prism Ark
Rating: D

A somewhat confusing first episode with disjointed story telling (though overall still enjoyable) and a complete letdown of a second episode. Unfitting comedy that fails to make me laugh, dumb and annoying characters. At least the animation is decent, but i am not sure i am going to follow if it retains the spirit of episode 2.

Rating: D+

A very goofy show with poor animation, but manages to be mildly entertaining. Seems like typical shounen CheeZe, but i am interested enough to give it time to develop. Overall might not be bad for some mindless entertainment.

Very peculiar character design, and can definitely be a turnoff for some people. The story is somewhat original and has peeked my interest though. This has pretty good chances to turn out nicely, and it seems we are in for a ride filled with suspense.

Title: Dragonaut ~The Resonance

I suppose it passes as mildly entertaining, but somehow the title completely fails to grab my interest and i get the feeling i am going to end up disappointed if i follow this, so i won't. Female characters with absurd breast size is not exactly appealing to me either. Worth checking out if you are up for some SciFi/action, but don't expect anything great.

Title: Rental Magica

There is not much i can say about this show - not my type of thing. I dislike the result one gets with mixing humor with serious (somewhat) premise, and this is what we have here. From the looks of it, it is going to be very episodic as well. Nothing to keep my interest here, and thus - dropping it.

Title: ef ~A tale of memories~

Overall i am disappointed with the series, or rather - what SHAFT is making of the title. Pacing issues aside, the overall animation is a very mixed bag as well. While the animation itself is quite beautiful, it is sad that SHAFT doesn't seem to believe in nicely animated movements. As such, they often look choppy and somewhat doll-like. Many still shots and zoomed out camera, preventing us to see the expressions of characters, thus not helping with overall mood. Don't like the artistic touches they are taking either. Seems like a hit-or-miss result, and i am still debating what it is for me.

Stunning animation aside, i am very pleased with the characters and overall atmosphere. A nice mix of seriousness and actually funny comedy. Pace might be a bit on the fast side, but not overly so. Overall i don't have much to nitpick about here, as it is shaping to be a very enjoyable ride.

Title: Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Rating: C+ (B-?)

An unexpected surprise. What seems like a mindless ecchi fest at first glance is proving to be a very cute and fluffy romance/comedy with quite reserved fanservice and quite unusual set of characters which creates a good mix and actually very likable male lead, definitely not something one would initially expect from such a title. The premise might be somewhat misleading, but in the end this is actually one of the shows i am looking towards the most. Rather weak BGM though, but when my biggest nitpick on the series is the BGM, it is a good sign i have landed on something i like.

Terrestrial Dream
2007-10-15, 17:27
Skyfall, not that I am critizing your grading, but you are very harsh, only one got B while others are all in D~C range.

So far very promising show and the animation is very good. And finally grunts are doing something instead of just standing or floating in one spot to get blown up. I also like the politics in this show, compare to the crap that was shown in Destiny.

The beginning I would say that it's very slow and not much is happening, but it is still fun to watch and the plot is still somewhat interesting.

Skyfall
2007-10-15, 17:54
Skyfall, not that I am critizing your grading, but you are very harsh, only one got B while others are all in D~C range.

Harsh ? I don't really think so. The way i would describe this season overall is - a lot of shows with good potential, yet very little outstanding shows. Labeling something as B means i am giving the show a rating of ~ 9/10, meaning excellent. That is not a label i would throw around lightly. I certainly wouldn't be hesitant to pass it around more if there would be enough shows worthy of such by my criteria, but that is not the case now ;)

Fruitfly
2007-10-16, 00:00

Great start with nice animation, something that I expected from Kyoani. But I get the feeling the story has the same formula as kanon and air. Depressing plot, characters in despair, guy comes and somehow fixes the problems.

Story might be kind of bleh and a bit pointless imo, but it's a great comedy with great characters. The low budget shows and it hurts. I rather see the faces with flapping mouths than looking at the backs of the character's feet or the school's window.

One series I was looking forward to and I think the studio did a great job with it so far. The weird water drop mouths bother me a little though.

I watched Akagi scratching my head because I didn't know how to play majhong and I still don't after watching it. I found this anime easier to understand and enjoy mainly because they were playing a simple game, but it's possible it will lead up to mahjong (play poker! I understand that)... episode 1 was slow as an introduction, but I found episode 2 to be great and promising.

Title: Myself ; Yourself
Watchable but I hate Nanaka who is probably the main heroine of the story. There's a lot of cliches that a lot of harem visual novels have like childhood friend, meganekko who likes to read and is clumsy, main character who leaves and comes back years later, etc.

Title: ef ~A tale of memories~
I found it boring and confusing. The quick insert pictures that Shaft places in all their series felt out of place. Only seen one episode so I'll give it some more before dropping it.

Dropped the first D.C., never watched the D.C.2, but I found episode 1 of D.C. II to be enjoyable, but after watching episode 2, I'm afraid that it might become a To heart clone.

Beautifully animated with a line up of great voice actors (Kana Ueda, Jun Fukuyama, Rie Kugimiya, Shizuka Itō to name a few). Looks promising imo.

A continuation from the OVAs. It still retains what it had from the first season.

Zaris
2007-10-16, 00:35

KyoAni has already done Key adaptations of AIR and Kanon in 2005 and 2006, respectively. I wasn't around to watch AIR and there's really no place to watch it anymore. I followed Kanon through and through and I liked many aspects about it. The drawing style was exceptional and the CG was effective yet not too imposing. However, I disliked the direction KyoAni took in resolving the story. The elements used to drive the plot to its rough ending were so artificial and unbelievable that I left away unsatisfied. The whole ending was just clumsy and ruined the fluidity of how the plot went from beginning to end.

With CLANNAD, I'm immediately starting to see some improvements. I'm happy to see the directors haven't lost their touch in creating powerful episodes of drama, though the pacing is awkwardly fast from time to time. The animation quality remains top notch compared to other anime I've seen in the past and I like how they pay attention to subtle details. Unfortunately, this is a harem show, and I'm not expecting smooth transition from one girl to the next. But time will tell. I'm hoping this show will surprise me and satisfy my expectations.

And finally, a lead female that doesn't "Uguu" me to the point of irritation. I actually like all the females for a change.

Title: Hayate the Combat Butler
Episodes Viewed: 2 (overall, 28)

The series started out very strong in the first season, and I'm hoping it will continue to do so. I merely watch this for moments of good humor and try to catch all the references the show riddles itself with, though I'm not very catchy since I'm hardly an anime fan compared to 90% of the rest of you folks. The second season is a huge twist from the norm, and I don't know if I should like it or not. Yes, I was kind of getting annoyed with being teased each episode of certain romances that didn't quite make it. But then of course, it's comedy, and I certainly won't be taking it as seriously as I will with CLANNAD. Still, I feel the comedy is wanning, and I don't want to be right about that part.

KholdStare
2007-10-16, 02:19

I usually ended up around Skyfall's grades after the series end, but I tend to be "interested" in a series when it starts then lose interest if the plot suddenly changes to suck. I rated Romeo x Juliet 9/10 then that changed to a 8/10, School Days went from 9/10 to 6/10, Nagasarete Airantou and Kaze no Stigma went from 8/10 to 7/10, etc.... I like being optimistic about things, which is how I am.

In my ANN ratings, 13/109 watched has an "Excellent" rating, which is 9/10. Skyfall is right; you shouldn't throw around those ratings carelessly. However, I'm expecting the shows I rated 9/10 to stay at 9/10, but they mostly won't.

Ultenth
2007-10-16, 20:40
So far this fall seems like a pretty standard period for anime. A couple really good looking shows, a few that are so far horrible, and tons of very average shows.

Bamboo Blade
Episodes: 4

I have moved this show up a bit because Toma-chan is cool and Miya Miya is turning out to be really awesome, I can see some definite potential down the road for her character, and overall it seems like its starting to improve with each episode.

Blue Drop
Episodes: 3

I'm convinced this could be one of the best shows of the season. If it doesn't jump the shark, seems very well done, and the story stays solid it seems like it could be terrific. Still kind of wait and see, and it could turn formulaic at any point, but so far have very good feelings about this show. I'm not really sure about the space stuff, I hope they merge it well and keep some of the slice of life feel of the school firmly in place.

Clannad
Episodes: 5

So far enjoying the characters, and like how even the male side-kick character seems to be getting more lines and screen-time than usual, and seems to be somewhat entertaining. Some of the characters seem like near-exact copies of Kanon characters, (Fuko Ibuki = Ayu almost flawlessly). Other than that the art is nice, and I will see how this one goes. Point loss for so far fairly boring formulaic characters. So far seems like copies of a lot of the character arcs of Kanon's female cast, but without the witty main character that keeps things lively and amusing.

Da Capo II

Well, its Da Capo, pretty much like the previous 2, but now with a band. Nothing really special so far to attract me to the show, but Bananamine is pretty awesome though. Will probably end up watching it all just like the others though, if I get bored enough and have nothing else to watch. Bananamine is pretty retarded but funny though.

Dragonaut ~The Resonance
Rating: Dropped

Don't really care much for the art style, faces and hair designs are not appealing to me, and the CG for the dragons is horrid. Story seems fairly predictable, will give it a few more episodes and see if they do anything story-wise to keep me interested. Interesting to see whats up with Gio, CG dragons not quite so annoying for some reason this episode, but still pretty bad. Most recent episode really didn't give very much except show Kazuki becoming very emo. Will be dropping, action is boring, plot is predictable, art is sub-par, characters are uninteresting.

ef ~A tale of memories~

Overall one of my fav new series, very much like the art direction and style, really like non-standard approach. I like the feeling like there are multiple stories going on at once, and they will intersect at various points. Like the kind of languid pacing, which makes the show seem very surreal. Really really digging the art style, don't care what others say, and the story and characters seem fairly well developed. <3 Eyepatch girls.

Genshiken 2
Episodes Viewed: 4

So far really liked the first series, sure I'll enjoy the 2nd, really like how they stood up for their club, the characters and their development is terrific. 2nd ep brought the drama, seems like a great start to the season, another must watch.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun

For a standard ecchi romance/comedy, for some reason I find myself entertained, which is one of the most important things after all. We'll see how things go once we get more into the characters, but if Reika Hojo turns out to be the standard annoying bi-polar tsundere type I may lose interest. Also kind of annoyed at the standard "met themselves when they were children but one/both don't remember" plot device. Don't expect great stories from this, but hopefully some laughs and decent fanservice (seems like most fanservice shows lately are complete crap like ZnT). A real guilty pleasure.

Gundam 00

Other than the lame lead being all emo seems like a decent start, decent Gundam designs, nice art, we'll see how it goes, seems to be fairly average. Fight scenes so far are pretty boring, but I did like the (fairly predictable) twist in ep 4, will give it a few more episodes at least, but not really expecting much.

Jyūshin Enbu - Hero Tales

Typical Shonen action series, but looks like it could be at least somewhat entertaining, martial arts, wicked powers, shiny energy stuff. Could be fun for a while, unless it hits too much filler crap like a lot of shonen series tend to do. After such a cool start the show has had a quick decline due to being a shonen series with little to no real action so far, hopefully it picks up soon, but the cool action shown in the first and somewhat in the 2nd ep has disappeared, along with my interest in the show.

Kaiji

I decided to finally give this one a try. Still can't stand the art, at all, and it distracts me from the story so I have to give it negative marks in my mind for that. The actual story itself is
very well done, and the tension and drama are extremely well choreographed. If I can manage to get past the art style and how distracting it still is, this show could have really some pretty great potential in terms of entertainment. Have to take some points away because I simply can't enjoy it as much with the art style, but the story reminds me greatly of the first great episodes of Death Note with the suspense and drama, before it turned crappy later on.

Kimikiss Pure Rouge

Actually really interested in this one, from a harem anime it seems like they turned this into a complete romance story instead. Seems like this could actually turn out to be a fairly balanced romance/drama, which is appealing to me, instead of just another lame harem anime where some guy has 6 girls pining for him for some completely stupid reason. I really like the interplay with all the characters, and like that there are lots of guys, who are actually dating and not just the buds of the one main guy who gets all the chicks while they sit at home depressed.

Minami-ke

So far easily the most amusing anime of the season. Great characters, and even though the focus is on the girls, the male characters (especially Makoto) are terrific. If you like slice of life shows I consider this a must watch of the season. BAD END!

Myself ; Yourself

So far nothing really out of the usual, standard childhood friend forgotten promises romance. Girl probably has all sorts of emotional scars blah blah blah. Will give it till ep 4 to show me something to keep me interested. And even though she's so cute and has just about my favorite anime character design, Aoi's voice is probably one of the worst I've ever heard, ever. Very much on the verge of dropping this one, seems exceedly boring and formulaic, bringing nothing new to the table, and I'm at the point that I turn the sound down any time Aoi is in a scene because otherwise my ears start bleeding. Dropped due to boring characters and plot, too formulaic and predictable, not worth my time.

Mokke

So far seems pretty weak, don't really feel much for the characters, and it seems like its trying to be kinda like Mushi-shi but failing. Show has been dropped due to being completely boring and uninteresting.

Night Wizard

So far nothing special, standard formula, sub-par art, typical easily pushed around but powerful male lead. Seriously, get some cajones dude. 3rd Ep had boring action and boring story with boring characters and boring art. Show has been dropped due to being boring and crappy with not one character that really appeals to me.

Rental Magica

Though the art isn't that great, and the characters seem fairly formulaic, the approach to magic in terms of using actual real world myth and info seems intriguing. Giving it 2 more ep's then will drop mr. Lelouch jr. due to too much boring character setup and nothing actually happening with the story at all yet.

Shakugan no Shana II

So far the art is very nice, and making Yuuiji more than just a guy who can sense stuff well seems promising, hopefully they don't plan on shifting him into the primary hero role, otherwise that'll be annoying. Though I understand why, was still annoying to see his and Shana's relationship reset. Really disappointed with the turn this season has taken. Seems like more of a harem romance starring Yuuiji who is now the main character and less like an action series based more on Shana. Last 3 episodes could have been one episode, but it still would have been boring and crappy. Characters are becoming unlikeable and boring, becoming a shoujo angst-fest, will be dropping soon unless it manages to pick up in 1-2 episodes.

Shion no Ou

Very bishounen series, and they don't really explain much if anything about Shogi, so if you're unfamiliar with it you'll probably be confused by some of the show I'm assuming. Seems very creepy so far, and kind of different in its approach to the usual sports genre, incorperating a lot more different elements such as horror and crime. Could turn out to be good, if you like sports series, actually becoming a lot more of a mystery/sports series, and giving glimpses of possible high potential.

Shugo Chara

Magical Girl series, but somewhat interest with the focus on character personalities and growth. Really cheesy attacks and such, as expected from a magical girl series. If I can stand the cheesyness for a couple more episodes I may watch it to kill time, a cute warm-hearted show. Love the outfits and such, magical attacks are the pinnicle of cheesyness, but in a cute way.

Sketchbook - Full Color

Very heartwarming and mellow show. Main character is very OCD and bizzare, but in a pretty moe way. Kind of meandering type of story so far, nice casual calming show for those that enjoy slice of life shows. Really starting to enjoy this show and its very introspective, thoughtful and curious view of the world.

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Kind of unsure on this one at the moment, shotocon type lead, side character children seem pretty boring, but the butler and the two dolls and main villainesse seem like they could be interesting. Really not much going on at the moment, and seems like it could quickly slip down into mediocrity quickly.

Falkor
2007-10-16, 21:19
This fall season seems to be interesting with some good shows and extremely average ones. So far, there are only 2-3 anime that I will probably follow thorough. I’m basing my grade system on the introduction alone and the future potential they might have.

This one has ‘good’ slapstick humor while the premise seems pretty straightforward, a group of five girls participating in a kendo club. I might look into future episodes and whether the interaction among the characters keeps the laughs consistent.

Starting from the opening sequence, Minami-ke is probably the surprise of the season. I knew almost nothing about it, but the first episodes combine such a good humor with a slice of life feeling that I have always liked from shows such as Aria and Lucky Star. Animation seems above standards (throwing a matrix-like scene) for a slice of life and the details put into the close-ups of the girls are no less than “eye-catching.” Comparisons to Ichigo Mashimaro and Azumanga Daioh have been made and though I only watched the latter, Minami-ke has potential and promising basis to stand on its own. I will follow this one thorough just because I have the feeling this show won’t disappoint me with good laughs and strange situations. As a side note, Chiaki is uber kawaí.

I’m probably bias towards this show because I liked everything Kyoani has done so far. This is the most hype up show of the year since the conclusion of Kanon, a default watch therefore. I know nothing about the game from which is adapted and I’m trying my best to avoid spoilers. As always, animation is an eye-candy with gorgeous backgrounds in the op alone and awesome “fighting kicks” to follow up. The ending features a childish, but catching tune with dangos of different colors. The seiyus fit pretty well into the personality of all main characters introduced, though most of them are girls (not a bad thing). The main lead is not some kind of loser, but someone you can relate to with realistic problems. Clannad is one of the few shows that revolve around a theme, and one not often touched like family. The background music stands out in almost every scene in order to set the mood, something that I have been always impressed from Kyoani since Air. I have said almost everything about the show and the only problem I can find is in those transitions (not a great deal for me). The anamorphic resolution 4:3 is certainly a drawback for the animation quality, and a widescreen is necessary to fully appreciate the show. This is a ride I will not regret for sure.

Another show that I’m pretty sure to follow. Slice of life about a bunch of different otakus is always something different as well as interesting. The first episode is a continuation of what the ovas have already done. The animation is much better than the first season and slightly lower than the ovas. Definitely a watch if you liked the first season just for the quirks and strange situations.

Episodes Viewed: 1 + 2

Animation alone have improved from the first season and seems to promise good fighting scenes in the future. However, I cannot stand the characters and their respective seiyus, especially Shana and Yuji. This is just a personal opinion of mine and the only exception is Mamiko Noto, whose voice has enchanted me from the very beginning of her career. I’m more interested in the plot and how the story will unfold since it is based on a light novel. I will be watching this with the hope of a surprise to show up.

The first episode strongly reminded me of the slice of life feeling I got from Aria. It seems to be directed by the same people who did the latter. I like slice of life and though there are not lol moments, there’s subtle humor combined with strange and likable characters. Since I have a special preference for slice of life, I will definitely follow this one to the end.

Gonzo is doing this and is better off to remain low in expectations. The story seems interesting and the animation so far is a little bit above gonzo standards, though the 3D enhanced dragons don’t fit pretty well into the show. I will watch this one just to find out whether the story will be cliché or not.

This show can be correctly defined as harem with one male lead, some girls, uninteresting supporting cast, and tons of clichés and stereotypes. Humor is forced, animation doesn’t stand out too much and the plot is too bland to serve as core basis. I will watch this one to kill time if there is nothing else to do.

Another show that can be defined as harem, but forcing fan service into it. The humor consists mainly of said fan service and nothing else. Another one to kill the time, I guess.

The first episode featured some interesting premises, but the second just killed off whatever potential it might have. The second episode was just too much “to save the budget” (from long and boring dialogue, to no “fighting scene” whatsoever). I’m about to drop this one if the third episode features the same “budgeting” basis.

This one has potential plus is backed up with good animation quality so far. The story seems to revolve around two girls, and one is definitely “from another planet.” I will watch it just to find out what is going on and what kind of genre actually is.

A game adaptation by SHAFT employing many weird camera angles combined with strange editing skills and random shots characteristic of all past works done by the studio. I didn’t understand the story at all, but many clues have been already hinted in the first episode and by the end of the second, there’s a little plot twist that gives the show lot of potential without blatantly falling into cliché. I like the art style and the non usual approach of this anime. The show has so far meet some of my expectation for this season and hopefully it won't disappoint.

A shonen title along the lines of night wizard, but featuring a character similar to Lelouch in terms of appearance and voice. The first episode started with fast-paced action and although it wasn’t outstanding, it did enough to dig into the next one. However, the second episode didn’t have any action at all, but a bad constructed flashback and setting that could have been better used to introduce the world of Rental Magica without resorting to long translation notes. I’m about to drop it if the third episode fails to improve.

Kimikiss Pure Rouge

Here we have a romance/drama focused in the relationship of different couples. The premise, though not new, seems pretty interesting so far with the personalities of all characters introduced. I might dig into future episodes just for curiosity. Chances are high that it will turn out good since is directed by the same people/studio who did Honey and Clover and Nodame. The only problems I find here are the character designs(not my taste) and the low animation budget.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-10-17, 14:44
Only what I've watched:

Episodes: 02

A very good start to the series that is focusing on building things up and doing a very good job at it. This is I guess what people called a default watch.

Episodes: 01

I honestly couldn't follow anything that is going on. I wish they would take the time to build things up before throwing us right into the middle of the plot.

Title: Night Wizard:
Rating D

Meh animation, bland fights, a plot that I can barely follow and the only thing to look forward to here is one character named Anzelotto who is a loli that runs some organization like a mafia boss.

Episodes: 03

Pretty average visual novel stuff. The animation quality isn't enough to save this from feeling like it's just another Kanon/Air. Comedy is hit or miss (mostly miss), some characters are grating, others just aren't that original. Can't understand the hype besides the studios that are doing it. At least I can follow the plot though. And upon the third episode, this show doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting (other than the patented Key Ending). Again I chalk most of this shows appeal up to the brand name power of it's production partners. The comedy is staler than one month old bread, the characters aren't appealing at all, and it keeps reusing the same plot elements.

Episodes: 02
Rating C+

Plot is still pretty hard to follow, but the show has piqued my interest. Some great BGM, the promise of a decent plot and the characters are all proving to be interest, and have made this a keeper.

A guilty pleasure that I'm still not sure about. On the one hand it has the potential to deal with Succubi, which I don't think I've ever seen an anime tackle, and on the other, said Succubi and hero are as stock as they come after one episode. I could follow things, and the sister moments were amusing, but it's still not exactly what I have in mind.

Simply put, playing the game is a whole lot funner, and despite the fact I've only got a mediocore translator program to go by and my own entry level knowledge of Japanese phonetics and Katakana, much more sensical.

November 1st: Well I think it's come to the point where I know what I'll be following. That is, Gundam 00, Shana II, Kodomo No Jikan, Ninomiya-Kun and Dragonaut.

Ascaloth
2007-10-18, 07:26
Hmm, I didn't actually know there was anything like this. Let me give this a go....

Title: CLANNAD (TV)

KyoAni's been building up a habit of "slow starts" ever since they started on their KEY adaptation career (SHnY is the sole exception, and the FMPs don't count since they came BEFORE the KEY adaptations), and CLANNAD (TV) isn't any exception. And by "slow starts", I don't mean the pacing of the storyline; I mean initial episodes which look pretty damn good, but otherwise don't seem to be anything special. But the thing about KyoAni KEY adaptations is that, I know it WILL get better if I continue watching. That's the other side of the KyoAni style. Otherwise, brilliant visuals as always, great characters, ALL the girls are actually likable for a change, although the pace is a little frenetic than I'm used to for a KEY adaptation.

Continue watching?: You kiddin' me? Of course I am. It's KEY/KyoAni.

Title: ef ~a tale of memories

I don't know what kind of weed the SHAFT animators are smoking, but I don't like that the weed's effects are spilling over into their work. Jeez, those schizophrenic effects work pretty damned well for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but for a perfectly good VN adaptation?!

Continue watching?: Tentatively yes, but SHAFT is walking a tightrope with me here. If I get too much "weed" effects, this goes into the trash.

Title: Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Gundams pWning everyone else? Check
Mysterious organization with ulterior motive? Check
Bishounen? Check
Successor to Heero Yuy? Check
Successor to Relena Peacecraft? Check
Successor to Dorothy? Check

Continue watching?:That said, it's Gundam. And this one actually looks quite purdy and fairly realistic for a change; I'm following this.

MushroomSamba
2007-10-18, 23:10

So far so good! I had my doubts since my initial impressions of this were Wing and SEED in a blender. Thankfully, it's been proving to be a good move bringing in the director of FMA.

Fluffy, light-hearted fun. A slice of life comedy that's actually funny.

I usually enjoy Shaft's unusual presentation and direction, but it's not really hitting it off with me this time around. Seems like a mediocre effort so far.

Everything about it screams blandness. Characters are annoying, animation is mediocre, cheesy designs, stupid story, etc., etc.

Read above. Action was probably the only reason I'd watch this, and even that isn't all overly impressive. Pass.

Not bad, so far. I don't like the character designs, but the animation is pretty solid. Story seems interesting enough. Knowing GONZO, though, everything will turn to crap shortly.

Snoooore. A poor man's Dennou Coil.

Seishi
2007-10-19, 00:38
Grade: C

Good female lead bumps the score up a little, but overly bland kendo action leaves BB lacking. Here's to hoping stuff happens in ep 2.

Grade: A-

Easily another Key/KyoAni sweep-me-off-my-feet show directed by Tatsuya Ishihara. The voice acting is very smooth, pretty much all the characters are likable to an extent, and have their own little quirks. Excellent male lead.

Grade: B-

Seems pretty slow so far...but a good slow. Female lead is tsundere++, which is always a bonus.

Grade: D

Pretty bad character designs overall; an example of Gonzo doing it wrong again. I might pick up another ep or two later.

Title: ef - a tale of memories
Grade: A

So admittedly I'm a SHAFT whore. I don't really get all the complaints about the animation...if it wasn't for Shaft this would lean towards a generic romance. As it stands, grade-A material so far.

Grade: C+

A nice continuation of where Genshiken left off. Good to see all the guys (and girls) back. Nothing more than mildly interesting and entertaining, though.

Entertaining enough to keep me interested. Normally I don't like random fanservice, but Mayu is so adorable. Hopefully this series doesn't descend

into the downward spiral I think it will.

Admittedly I'm not a Gundam fan, but Yun Kouga's (Loveless) character designs are too good to ignore. Combine that with high def action and you have one hell of a ride.

Started off incredibly dull, but episode 2 went a long way towards redemption. It looks like a promising romance...and hopefully that scene from the opening actually happens.

An entertaining action show that shows signs of descending into shounen mediocrity. Male lead amuses me, at least.

Male lead is a little useless, even if he is Lelouch Jr. The show has at least a few cool characters, a better-than-average shounen premise, and is not NEARLY as bad as this thread makes it seem.

Characters remain consistent to the original series. J.C. Staff's quality animation shows.

Title: Shion no Ou
Grade: B+

A seemingly darker, better version of Hikaru no Go, but with shogi, and with
far more interesting characters. Also has one of the best traps in as long as
I can remember.

TheMP3000
2007-10-19, 01:16
The season so far...

Funny, enjoyable and likable characters. Interesting plot theme. It's my guilty pleasure of the season and it entertains me oh-so-much. HIP HOP JUMP.

The animation is superb. The love-triangle is heating up. Plot twists left and right! The show is developing much better than I expected. Looking forward to more.

Beautiful story, animation and very likable characters. I've got a tissue box waiting.

I love Gundam, but 2 episodes in, I need to see more. It has me hooked so far ofcourse.

Title: Genshiken II
It starts off where the TV series and OVA ended practically. Excellent animation, as usual. It looks like fun so far!

Ah, fanservice, but not very mindless. Mayu looks like Mikuru. The animation is gorgeous. Looking forward to more.

It has potential. Like the character designs, character personas, animation. It's a pretty solid series so far. On hold.

I'll give it a few more episodes and marathon them, maybe I'll get a better picture of what went on. Very beautiful animation though. On hold.

Title: Myself;Yourself
I couldn't really get into it. Too many cliches and bad animation(to me). Dropped.

Title: Dragonaut ~The Resonance
Animation and 3DCGI just don't work for me. The plot sounds odd still. I'll watch more for a while and check it out. Dropped.

I didn't like the animation. Not very funny or interesting, then again -slice of life- isn't my cup of tea.. all the time. Dropped.

Unimpressive animation, it couldn't hook me like everything else this Fall season. Dropped.

Denno Coil's annoying cousin practically. I couldn't get interested in it at all. Dropped.

Rating: F+
Good lord. That was generic and lame. Pretty bad animation. Annoying character designs. Ugh. Dropped.

6 Dropped
2 On-Hold
6 Currently Watching

Will see..
Ghost Hound, Bamboo Blade, Prism Ark... :)

s[H]sIkuA
2007-10-19, 01:31
Title: Shakugan no Shana

A good start. Since I like the first season very much, the rating might be a bit bias here :D. Will watch it till the end, its Shana afterall. Thumbs up for Kawada Mami performance.
--------------------------------------

Again, I like this. It seems to have alot of potential and from such a good director that produced FMA, I can't wait for how this series will turn out in the end. Thumbs up for L'Arc'en'Ciel OP too.

Unexpectedly good IMHO. The series have alot of hidden story to be told and the OP/ED are great here as well. How I wish the OP concert will appear in the actual anime. Aoi's voice seems to be pretty annoying (I hate Chiyo for that matter too :D) though, but I have heard worst.

Grade: D

Besides the "Cant-get-to-school" joke, I cant seem to like this anime (meh I like comedy) at all. I'll drop this.

No comment. Will continue this for awhile to see how it turned out. Pretty boring.

Grade: A

Ok, to rate it as A would be too much after only 1 episode but I got a feeling this will be on par or better than Lucky Star. A very funny first episode and the character are lovable, especially Kana. She is just so fun. Will see how this turn out and will it live up to my expectation :p Comedy FTW

Everyone's highly anticipated KyoAni-Keys anime. The characters are interesting and everything seems to flow perfectly. The animation is top notch. I usually skip romance anime but this seems promising.

Title: eF' a tales of memories

Another romance. So far so good.

Title: Kimikiss

Watch if for Gin-sama voice lol. Pretty interesting cast.

Grade: B+

The second episode fighting CG seems like wtf to me. Will continue watching to see how the story turn out to be though. At first I am interested with this because of the VAs though (The whole Haruhi main cast + Nana Mizuki)

Fanservice aside, the story seems weak. Will watch it for some laugh though :)

Ultima_Rasengan05
2007-10-19, 06:09

The first episode starts off with a battle and for all we know, they are a magician rental company that people can rent out in case they have supernatural problems. The character designs aren't bad, and the story for now is pretty interesting. I have yet to watch episode 2, but I've heard that episode 2 has a lot of background story...so it should fill in questions that some might have after viewing episode 1.

Another Kyoto Animations series...and compared to Kanon, Clannad is pretty interesting so far in terms of story telling. The characters are very interesting and you get hooked on certain characters that have that "cool" or "cute" looking feature. Its about family, so I'm kind of expecting the story to have some heartbreaking points in future episodes. Nice animations and the BGM is nice to listen to. The Opening and ending theme songs are nicely done and are addictive to listen to.

Episodes Viewed: 1 (dropped)

The second season of Shana...although I just recently got into Shana, I dropped this show to watch the previous season and the movie. From the first episode though, I could tell it was a recap of the first season. Interesting twist to the ending of the first episode. Looks promising, but this series, for me, is dropped for now.

Westlo
2007-10-19, 07:13

Enjoying this and eager for it to kick into high gear, no chance of this being dropped.

It's alright, just wish the ugly Dragon CG isn't featured to much over the next few episodes. Pretty safe from dropping unless it gets real awful quick.

Title: EF - A Tale of Memories

Unlike a lot of others I'm not too bothered by the SHAFT "touches" that are throughout the show. Enjoyable enough so far.

This looks like shaping up to be at least for me the guilty pleasure title of the season or maybe even year. I'm following this series with no danger of dropping it atm.

Title: Hero Tales

I enjoyed the first episode and it looks like it had a bit of budget behind it for a shounen adaption. Will be following it and it's pretty safe from being dropped since i need a fix of typical shounen fare.

Alright start and I'll be following this for sure.

Just wtf at the first ep, it was all over the place and not in a good way. Will watch the next episode but the chance of dropping this is very high.

Alright start, nice to see them get some things back in line with the novels, next to no chance of dropping this. JOINT is also the best intro of the season imo,

Only other show I'll probably end up watching this season is Ghost Hound and maybe Night Wizard... maybe.

Macnown
2007-10-19, 16:54

Not much so far but some very moments and kawaii ED :P
I will stick to this untill the end since am expecting AIR and Kanon like drama :)

Am certainly liking the gundam designs but kind of miss the old designs.
Right now am just enjoying the sweet and smooth animation of the action.
I've only watched two gundam series but I know they're slow starters,
so I won't be dropping this unless its boring after 20 episodes hahaha

Title: Shagukan no Shana 2

I've only seen one but i found it quite boring.
I can hardly remember what happened season 1 so made thats why i didnt really enjoy the 1st episode. lol something that i do remember is the good old meron pan :D
Will stick to this for a while since i remember season 1 being quite good.

Its not bad, quite interesting to be watching a kendo anime and a weird girl as the main character (I think).
I think il continue with this series since its got some funny moments.
Though someone should punch that crying ping pong freak!!! seriously HOW! lol
(watch and you'll understand)

Master Ran
2007-10-19, 22:04
only this one...

Episodes Viewed: 1-3

I do like the manga and the anime is pretty funny too but when they change the story in ep. 3(as with a lot of manga-turn-anime do), it kinda left a bitter aftertaste.
Gonna watch ep. 4, just to see if the changes worsen, and if it does, 'em gonna stick to manga and watch err... avatar the last Airbender instead :heh::heh:

Malintex_Terek
2007-10-19, 22:06
E.V.: 2
Des.: Not sure why everyone's clamming over this title, it's weaker than Kanon and most of all lame/boring (lower mark is because the blond kid is a jerk version of the side-kick from Kanon, plus some of this show feels really cheesy). Somehow, I think the denizens of AS are trying to conform their reviews to the pre-established Japanese opinion because it's cool to be Japanese, and by extension to agree with them. ._.

Title: Gundam00
Des.: Bishies, yuck. The Gundams look cool but there hasn't been enough fighting, and I don't care too much for the politics, ths Gundam seems a bit generic in terms of its outlook on war. Love the narrator, though. Biggest question going into it - "what is the true purpose of Celestial Being"?

Title: Ultimate Survivor Kaiji
Des.: As someone said before, the mystic, supernatural tone of Akagi is lost on the rather gritty Kaiji, but by the gods it is an original series and is quite shocking from what I've read. My gripe is that the better known Yu-Gi-Oh! borrowed concepts from Kaiji so some feel Kaiji is ripping off a series inspired by it, thus, the "wow" factor has been reduced. -_-

Title: S⁴
Rating: n/a
E.V.: 0
Des.: a.k.a. "Shakugan no Shana second season". Rating pending until something actually happens. ^^;

Deathkillz
2007-10-20, 14:52
Just made a my impressions entry on our blog ;)

Autumn series 2007 - Thoughts and impressions (http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/autumn-series-2007-thoughts-and-impressions/)

Geass
2007-10-21, 08:43
Rating: A+
Now, I don't exactly like the Gundam series, but this one is the best new anime of the season for me. The political explanation they gave was probably one of the most detailed I've ever seen, and for once the background and side characters (politicians) aren't nameless (well, they are for now), faceless men (they actually look like real people).

Not a lot of people seem to like this one, but I find it quite interesting. It's like Kaze no Stigma crossed with Ghost Hunt, both of which I found to be very enjoyable. The accuracy with the magic on the show is also excellent.

Title: Goshuushou-sama, Ninomiya-kun
Episodes Viewed: 12
Why am I watching this? Why am I watching this? I have no clue, I'm giving it a B because I don't know what else to say, it's utterly ridiculous, impossible to take seriously, and yet so bizarrely funny that you just have to keep watching. Why am I watching this?

This certainly isn't a show to teach you how to play shougi, since it throws you right in with no explanation. However, the mystery part of the show intrigues me enough for me to keep watching, at least for now.

Title: Suteki Tantei Labyrinth
Well, this was certainly interesting. Someone said that this looked too "happy and cheerful" before the show started, that's obviously not the case. After seeing the second episode I still have no idea where this show is going, might as well wait a little longer and see.

More will be added as I see them.

Omfgbbqwtf
2007-10-21, 19:12
An OK anime for me. I will probably watch a couple more episodes before I decide whether I should stop watching. The egg-head dude is pretty thing that makes me laugh so far.

Biased rating, but since I am such a huge yuri fan, I just can't rate this any lower than a B. I like the animation quality and the characters. Very interesting show and looking forward to discover the truth behind everything.

Title: Shana
I don't understand why people rate this anime so low. I personally think it is very enjoyable. The fights are pretty good and I like the way the story is progressing.

I don't know.... Clannad just makes me feel like I am watching Kanon all over again, except less interesting. The story is moving at a turtling speed, although Kanon is pretty slow in the beginning too, at least I still find it highly enjoyable. I won't drop the series though, just because I know KyoAni anime will never seize to disappoint me.

Title: Mianam-Ke
hm....the humors don't make me laugh, or at least much much, but for whatever reason, I just want to keep watching it. Kana is probably one of the most fun-to-watch character in the Fall Anime series. Highly enjoyable, and hope the humor will go up a level.

Average series but I like it. Aoi's voice is awsome! and Hoshino is just a wonderful character to watch. Up to this point, it is pretty obvious what Sana did in the past, though the cause of his actions is still unknown, so I will keep watching it to find out.

Title: KimiKiss
sigh.....I just can't like this anime at all. I pretty much corectly predicted every single lines and events so far. So... cliche. I still have some hopes left.... but... close to none.

Pretty good, not as bad as Kimikiss. Still cliche and predicable, but... I think it has a lot of potential. It is an average romance anime. Won't hurt you if you don't watch it.

free_lancer
2007-10-21, 22:38
I'm not good with ratings, so none from me, just my babble. I usually watch about five episodes of something before I pass final judgement. I'm also pretty behind on most series so far. :(

Bamboo Blade
A fairly decent start. A little dull here and there, especially since sports/moe aren't my favorite genres. I kinda like the silly looking guy and I laughed in a couple places. I'll check out another episode or two.

Ultimate Survivor: Kaiji
I liked Akagi but my enjoyment was slightly dampered by the fact that I have no clue how to play mahjong. Kaiji is a bit better since I actually know what's going on in the game but I really don't like Kaiji himself as the main character. He's basically a whiney, unlikeable hobo. I liked how he formed an alliance with the other guys at the end of episode 2 though so I'll keep going.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
I've totally biased since I've been following the manga weekly since it started years ago. I was kind of hoping Madhouse would just animate the manga while fixing up the notoriously unpleasant art, but it seems they're taking things off in their own direction. I wouldn't care so much if their direction didn't... suck so bad. Seriously, poorly written filler on the second episode? However the animation/music is fine and I really like the voice acting. Not-so-hot start but I'll keep watching in the hope that it gets back on track and gets better.

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth
The first thing I noticed about this show is that the lighting effects are terrible. It looks like someone ran everything through bloom filters. Aside from that, it's mildly amusing. The detective kid's powers seem kinda DEM though, and in a bad way. He "felt the solution"? The big-boobed fighting women were kinda weird too. I'll keep going on this one, just to see how it turns out.

Blue Drop
God, Mari is a bitch. I coudn't stand her through this whole episode and it's never a good thing when you hate the main character. The glowing-eyes thing had me interested, but I don't know if I could take another episode.

Myself; Yourself
I can't figure out why I'm even watching this. I usually dislike harem/H-game adaptions and this is an incredibly average one. The animation also isn't that great and the characters are pretty flat stereotypes and yet... I still want to know what's going to happen next.

Mokke
I don't know what to think of this one. It's got some really nice music, that's for sure, but the animation is pretty bland and unimpressive. It's also got this moral-of-the-week thing going on. It sort of feels like a show animed at kids (even though it's a seinen manga adaption). I'll watch some more, but I'm not that impressed.

Dragonaut
Boobs. Annoying emo main character. Boobs. Terrible CG dragons. Screeching loli. Even bigger boobs. I can't get into this one.

Goshuushousama Ninomiya-kun
I laughed quite a few times through it. Ninomiya's sister is a really funny character. :heh: Unfortunately the pink-haired girl's "quivering moe" personality is really annoying and it looks like a blue-haired tsundere is coming. I'll check out a couple more episodes to see if the humor keeps up.

Ef ~ a tale of memories
Bleh, the story/character designs are pretty dull and standard. I actually like Shaft's ADHD style of animation though and the music is really nice so I'll probably watch at least part of it for that.

Rental Magica
There's nothing particularly BAD about this series. The problem is that there's nothing particularly GOOD about it either. The main character is a helpless nice-guy and the other girls at the company are giving me serious harem vibes. Episode 2's flashback was also pretty uninspiring. I like the cat guy though. I'll watch a few more episodes.

Prism Ark
Apparently this diverged a bunch from the game. I haven't played it, but I bet it would have been better if it hadn't. The first episode was all over the place and the second was filled with annoying "comedy". Oh, and tons of fanservice.

Minami-ke
I'm not much for slice-of-life series, but I actually found this one pretty funny. I'll keep watching.

Jyushin Enbu
Pretty generic shounen action series, complete with loud hot-blooded main character, large evil man with scars, and annoying cheerleader sister. NON-BLOOD RELATED SISTER REMEMBER THAT. I'll watch a few more episodes provided it has some decent fighting.

Moyashimon
I think I'm addicted to the ending song. Also, the old professor is my hero. Definately watching the next episode. I really like it so far, but I hope the premise can hold for twelve episodes.

Shion no Ou
Usually I dislike moe, but I really like the character designs. There's something about how Shion's eyes are drawn that kind of.. sucks me in. Anyway yeah, I don't know the first thing about shougi and this series kind of assumes you do. The game parts were boring as a result but I'm interested in the murder mystery and the crazy stalker dude. Also, I wonder what's up with the black-haired girl?

Still meaning to watch:
Night Wizard - Sounds kind of underwhealming from reviews
Gundam 00 - I keep meaning to watch it but then I get uninspired.
Shugo Chara - Magic girl fun
Kimikiss - It's a harem, but with multiple guys? Neat.
Kodomo no Jikan - I might wait for DVDs to avoid distracting censorship
Koharu Biyori - I'm morbidly curious
Ghost Hound - Waiting for subs

Not interested:
Clannad - Eh, just not my kind of thing. Maybe I'll marathon it later
DC 2 - Not my thing either
Shana 2 - Haven't seen the first season yet
Genshiken 2 - Haven't seen the first season yet
You're Under Arrest - Haven't seen the original
Maple Story - :sad:

Darklord_bg
2007-10-23, 06:39
So far, it does not seem as strong as the last spring season, but who knows, that might change. The spring season did not seem that good either at the beginning.

So far, this is the most compelling show of the new season. The premise reminds me of Death Note in a way - a psychological game of deceit, only this time the main character is not a genius, but the ultimate loser in life and yet he shows signs in the show that he is not that dumb. I can't wait to see what kinds of games they are going to play and what strategies they are going to come up with. It's nice to see a show that makes your brain cells work as well.

Gundam 00
I'm a huge fan of Gundam! Even though I have not seen that many series, the ones I've seen have all been exceptional. So far this show is a breath of fresh air in the Gundam universe with its more realistic approach. I really like the idea of the "three great powers" - it's definitely something that can happen in the future. It seems like it's taking its time to develop the characters, since so far it's mostly concentrated on the action. That's not so bad actually, since the action scenes are superbly animated and have a good soundtrack to back them up. In conclusion, this show has a lot of potential and I can only hope it's well realized.

Shana 2
I wasn't a big fan of Shana when it first came out, but the second season actually renewed my interest in the first. This show has simply amazing visuals and great music and has a unique premise. I really like the air of suspense that can be felt, and the plot flows along quite nicely. The characters are very likable. Shana isn't as annoying and stuck up as she was in the first few episodes of the first season, and Yuuji isn't an angsty and wimpy teenager anymore. I'll definitely be following this to see how the story develops.

Dragonaut, "The Resonance"
I was interested in this show even before it came out, due to the nice character designs (well...those boobs are a little exaggerated though). This show probably had the most impressive first episode of all shows this season. Unfortunately the second and the third have not been that good. Nevertheless, this show has potential and I am going to follow it for a while to see where it is going, since it looks like there will be a lot of action and intrigue. I hope the story does not turn out to be generic though.

Myself; Yourself
I became interested in this show after seeing the promotional poster and I really liked Nanaka's character design. This show showed potential that it might be interesting, but now after three episodes I am quickly losing interest in it. The main character is just too generic and Aoi's voice is too annoying. I hope something interesting happens fast, otherwise I'm dropping it.

Prism Ark
It's hard to judge a show after just one episode, but still...here goes. This show give off very contradictory vibes. It seems like a very generic fantasy/RPG show and some of the battles and characters seem way too kiddy. The only thing that sparked my interest in that is the relationship between the two main characters - they are already an established couple. This is a refreshing change from all the other shows when such a relationship is constantly hinted on and never developed. Oh, well, I'm guessing I'll give it one or two more episodes before deciding whether to watch it or not, but at this point...chances are pretty slim.

Clannad
If there ever was a show that was just too overrated, this is it. I just don't get why so many people are obsessed with Key/Kyoani's shows. The plot is boring, it's moving at an extremely slow pace and there's nothing special. The main character is cool and interesting, but he is too much like the main guy from Kanon. The girls all follow the generic harem stereotypes. The comic relief character(Sunohara) is just dumb and a loser. It seems like most people enjoy the show just to see him getting his ass kicked by Tomoyo. I don't get what's so entertaining about that - it's a concept that has been painfully overused in anime, yet people seem to enjoy it. Anyway, I'll probably stick around with it for a few more episodes but mort likely I will have dropped it by episode 5 like I did with Kanon.

Rental Magica
Probably the biggest disappointment for the season. Maybe it's my fault for having high expectations. The shows opens up with an action chase scene which could not be any more cheesy or generic even if it tried. The characters are not even stereotypical - they are just bland. I was expecting the main character to be cool and mysterious when I found out Fukuyama Jun (Lelouche) was voicing him, but I was wrong there as well. He had like 5 seconds of coolness in the entire episode and spent the rest being a pathetic loser. Finally, the animation budget must have been pretty low.

In conclusion, so far it is a mediocre season, with three shows which stand out in my opinion. Nevertheless, I will probably drop most of the shows I mentioned in this review by the middle of the season and pick up some new ones. There might yet be some hidden gems in the stack.

Rembr
2007-10-23, 14:05
An update after the initial 3 episode run.
Now that I've collected my thoughts and compared shows with others and weighed them against each other, I think I know what I'm going to watch this season.

Rating: Top tier
Sports anime or not, this is a very well-rounded and entertaining ride. It may not be anything special in terms of anything, it's still a must-see.

It has kept its pace and proved itself to be the best slice-of-life fix of the season.

Rating: Default watch
While people may overhype this, I don't get what's so terrible about this show, either. I suppose it's from people who can't stand the mainstream. There's a lot of power put into the execution, and even when the original content may not be the most inspiring of material (or maybe it is, I don't know), Kyoani once again delivers some high quality stuff. That alone should be worth recognition.

It's Genshiken. Production value is even higher this time around. And there's Ogiue in full force. This rivals the best of the season.

Rating: Default watch
While it got off to a rough start, and the scenario doesn't seem like the first season, Shana fans should be just fine with this.

Interesting anime experience. Admittedly this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like your slice of life served very slow, this is beyond excellent.

Rating: Mediocre
At the moment this is just a lot of flashy anime elements combined together. There really isn't anything special, and nothing seems to be clicking. It's tolerable at best so far.

Rating: Second tier
The original material is an interesting one and there's something fresh to look forward to each week, but there seems to be something not flowing right to bump this into the top tier. Plus this may be a very hard thing for Americans to get into.

Title: Moyashimon
Rating: Upper tier
Speaking of interesting, this is by far the most interesting concept and presentation of them all. On top of that, the content is entertaining enough to warrant recommendation to everyone, seeing as this isn't a very mainstream show of the season. There's only been 2 episodes, though, so I'll just stick it in the upper tiers and decide fully after couple more episodes.

I only watch it for the nicovideo comments (which helps the viewing experience a LOT). I think the show's mediocre. However plenty of other people seem to like it, and so far it seems to be a decent school romance genre.

Ordinary fanservice pitch. The storyline is decent, characters are cute and fun and there are some explosive moments but it really haven't done anything for me.

After the first couple of scenarios, this is proving to be way too ordinary. In fact that's all the words I can find to say about this show.

This is like Night Wizard meets Ninomiya-kun. Ordinary fantasy + fanservice. You can see from the above two reviews that I don't really care for either, and I guess it doesn't change if they come to me mixed together.

Title: Neuro
As I said before, it's a fun monster-of-the-week show with decent characters. If you avoid the notion that this is supposed to be a detective show, it's a decent ride.

It's a fun show, but too shoujo for me. But lovers of the genre should definitely take a look.

jedinat
2007-10-25, 03:02
Blue Drop (Watched: 3 episodes)
B....visuals and sound fairly nice, and the characters seem fairly lesbian all around. I'm happy.

Clannad (Watched: 3 episodes)
B+....great animation, nice humor, and interesting characters. I like this one so far.

Genshiken 2 (Watched: 2 episodes)
B....more of the same, which is good.

Ghost Hound (Watched: 1 episode)
B-....can't tell much from one episode, but it got me interested.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Watched: 2 episodes)
C+....not sure. The animation is great and everything, but the characters themselves haven't emerged yet. And it's hard to tell who's in what mecha and keep track of all the treaties and abbreviations and locations (maybe I'm just lazy ><) but I'll see how it turns out.

Minami-ke (Watched: 2 episodes)
B-....I like their funky mouths. It's cute and looks like it'll be nice and light and funny.

Shakugan no Shana Second (Watched: 3 episodes)
C+....more Shana, but this time Yuugi maybe won't suck so much.

Shion no Ou (Watched: 2 episodes)
B+....greatly interested in this one. I enjoyed what of the manga that's been scanlated. Looks to be a nice quality anime so far.

Sketchbook: full color`s (Watched: 2 episodes)
C+....sort of has an Aria feel to it, but with a less interesting setting.

Pellissier
2007-10-26, 02:43
So far, I like the atmosphere and how it is done, despite not much has happened yet. There's obviously something deep behind and some characters are really interesting. Musics are addicting and voice actors perfectly fitting.

The beginning was a bit slow, but I deem that as positive since it quite helped to set the link with season 1. Episode 3 was really interesting and I assume it will only get better now. The C+ is probably going to become a B soon.

Title: KimiKiss -pure rouge-
High expectations on this, since Kasai Kenichi is the director (Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile). Not disappointed at all. In facts, probably my favourite show of the season. The characters are very interesting and the relationship so far shown in the heartwarming, emotionally involving way. I'm curious to see if we will see drama on this, or if it will proceed through light and serious comedy.

The first 2 episodes almost had me willing to drop this. But since I liked the previous Da Capo series, I continued and episode 3 was significantly better. It seems a low budget production, especially in the animation depart, if compared to previous seasons.

It started slowly, but then it captured me episode by episode. It has all the potentialities to be a winner in my book. I really like this show, from the fantastic OP to the wonderful Nanaka, and if the authors play their cards right (something they didn't quite accomplish in episode 4 imho), I'll certainly be happy.

Disappointment. The story is inconsistent and overall it doesn't seem to give reasons of interest to the viewer. I picked this up because Eclipse is subbing it (so far I've liked all of their released shows) and especially because of the seiyuu cast: Kugimiya Rie, Shizuka Itou, Ueda Kana, Takahashi Mikako, Fukuyama Jun and Suwabe Junichi. It's an all star team, but while that might satisfy my ears, it's definitely not enough.

I'm having some troubles in fully enjoying this ^^ . I mean, it seems just a less ecchi version of Girls Bravo. Some gags are funny, some others are trite and predictable. But tsundeReika shines in this show so I guess there's no risk I will drop it after all.

Title: ef - a tale of memories -
Quite like solving a puzzle. Well, if anything a "different" kind of show. It might seem a little confusing at first, but it's just a matter of thinking a bit about it. Also I've only seen 2 episodes so it seems really early to say more. I like the visuals and the musics.

A sort of Ichigo Mashimaro with lower budget, with a character (Kana) clearly comparable to Miu (IM). I was willing to give an higher grade, but after a very nice start, episode 2 was far less brilliant. Need more to give deeper opinions. So far I just know that I like the three sisters and their daily life.

A very nice surprise comes from my mahou shoujo fix of the season. This show never ceases to amaze me. It is so cheesy and overloaded with cuteness that after having watched it, you'll find a strawberry lollipop bitter in comparison. The protagonist is wonderful, her seiyuu (Ito Kanae) great to catch the various glimpses of her "characters". Overall, the happenings are just plain cute and funny and the Shugo Charas are priceless.

I think I've listed them all, but I'm not sure. However I have 3/4 other shows scheduled: Sketchbook, Mokke, Ghost Hound and maybe Blue Drop. So a brief review may follow shortly.

X10A_Freedom
2007-10-26, 20:29
What my grades mean:
A = Very Good
B = Good
C = Fair
D = Poor
E = Very Poor

Rating: C+/B-
The art and animation of Gundam 00 far surpasses SEED. It somehow has a very "retro" feel to it. It's chugging along rather slowly at the moment without any clear direction. There is also a total lack of character development or knowing the background of anyone other than Setsuna(?) and combined with the huge cast is frustrating thus the C+/B- grade. The grade can change quickly if the result of this transitional/setup episodes are good.

Firstly, the character art has changed slightly for the better. The girls look slightly older, more mature and has less of the loli look.

The flashback opener was cleverly done. It was a flashback, yet it was happening in the "present".

It was looking like a monster-of-the-week but this seems not to be the case. I would hope in the future there will be monster arcs lasting several episodes like in Season 1.

SnS2 is slow but really SnS1 was also slow so I find season 2 to be pretty much more of the same of season 1. A blend of slice-of-life combined with the occasional battle. If the Bal Masque doesn't make a move soon though, the grade will go crashing down.

Title: Kodomo no Jikan
Rating: Illegal.
Episodes Viewed: null.

I'm quite sure this series would contravene paedophilia law in a fair number of countries. Erased.

christinemarie
2007-10-29, 08:03
My own ranking
G - Hidden Gem, meaning although the anime quality is bad it's still shines as gold.
A - Easy to spot anime that already had high expectations from many.
B - Good quality anime that good enough to watch the whole season.
C - Anime that needs improvement upon the following episodes.

Rating: G
This anime have returned my younger memories where I love those kind of series that the main protagonist seems following diligently even in reality. The *L/Runa Edomae* clone in this series makes me really happy to get me more interested.

Title: Shana
Well no need to explain I just love watching this anime since back then though the story at the moment seems become more typical love-jealousy part.

Kyo-Ani, Tomoyo, and the second coming of Keitaro-kun and Ikke-kun.

Title: Minami-Ke
I already been infactuated by Kana and Chiaki's cute antics so why not get more hype with it.

Aoi's clumsiness (Seems rival my other favorite character this season aside from her), anyway she and Sana starts up this story, when would Nanaka's line longer than usual...a big sigh. The sound, story I like how it is although some are already predictable but we never know in the end.

Title: KimiKiss
No further explanations.

Along with Minami-ke, Myself ; Yourself, and Bamboo Blade this anime is promising indeed despite the fact of it's poor quality I still love it maybe Mikuru-clone have really makes me satisfied.

Title: ef - a tale of memories -
Well the puzzle thing reduced the excitement that I anticipate from other angle since this is the 2nd time, the 1st was with the anime Kiba had already done it back several months ago). Music is impressive.

Needs more development maybe moving to another arc of the manga would do the trick to at least reach B rating.

GUNDAM opening, Genshiken, Comi-ket, the finale. I love it how they were sold out considering it's their first time well enough said cause I'm all the way with the anime anyway .

Watch, I keep on watching... more...hope there would be less CG-Dragon and instead all battle should be done with human-form instead. Go SOS "Seiyuu" Brigade.

Well my explanation for A rating I think that would satisfy and it's a Gundam Anime anyway.

Other anime rating would show up as I watch them more than twice.

Screwtape
2007-11-06, 21:53
Nothing stellar with this one. The presence of Houko Kuwashima brings it up from an otherwise C+ rating.

Episodes Viewed: 5
Characters are stereotypical and the plot isn't very gripping. Something about another world, blah, blah, blah. Direction is in an unfocused vignette/ensemble style that dragged on for an episode or two too long. Annoyed with Fuka and essentially anyone not named Tomoyo and Kyou. Kuwashima again brings it up from an otherwise C+ rating.

Grade: C-
Another ghost busting series with the multicultural angle a la Haunted Junction. 15 minutes of my life wasted, with the remaining 5 spent wondering why Montmorency isn't the main character in this series.

Title: Ghost Hound
Grade: B
Style is obviously reminiscent of Serial Experiments Lain, and the director shows his chops by painting an atmospheric, slightly eerie world. Unfortunately, nothing happens in this ep. Seems promising (I enjoyed Lain) but I'm not sure if the style is appropriate for the material.

So far seems utterly pointless and boring. Season 1 wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I found the story improved as it progressed. The backstory and fantasy settings were also fairly elaborate and enticing (actually, I found the background stuff much more interesting). Hoping it will pick up when Pheles shows up.

Aoie_Emesai
2007-11-08, 22:07
Shugo Chara!
Rating - A big fat "C"
Episodes Viewed - Just 3

I only got it cause it was done by Peach-Pit, but after watching the first 3 episode, forcing myself to watch the 3rd one, I became so over come with disappointment I didn't even finish the 3rd episode. The artwork is clean and cute, and her personality is easy to relate with but the presentation was just dull and boring, plus all the chibiness and cuteness was just too much for me.

Rating - C
Episodes Viewed - Didn't even finish the first 5 min of the 1st

I'm a sucker for romance, but the pace of the anime was just too slow for me. I might try it again once I run out of good animes to watch.

rating - B+
Episodes Viewed - The 5 that are out so far

Personally I liked it, good comedy, okish storyline and attractive artworks. Though I do sorta get tired of the same ol some ol "I hate this world" "what am I doing here" mumbo jumbo. Otherwise avoiding that part of the theme, I liked it.

rating - average C+ (75)
Episode Viewed - 3 or 4

It was confusing at first since the first episode starting within a fight already. There wasn't anything too special or spectacular about it, but it's a good anime to watch while waiting for others to finish :D

Rating - B-
Episode Viewed - what ever is out so far, 4 or 5 I don't remember

To me it's just another one of those Maburaho like anime again w/o the magic. The art style is very attractive the overall presentation is very nice. There's not much storyline though, maybe but the typical childhood promise thingy going on there.

Rating - B
Episode Viewed - 1

Storyline wise, I don't know it or really care for it. I just love the battle scenes, which is quite amazing. Other than that's there's nothing too special about this anime for me.

This was the only DC series that I was even able to stand watching. The artwork can use some sharpening up too. It was rather slow at some point, but I didn't play the game, so I just wanna know the story, that's why I'm keeping an eye for the episodes as it comes out ^_^

Title: ef -a tale of memories
Rating - B
Episodes - what ever is out so far, 5ish or so.

I didn't play the game myself too, but I liked the original artwork, so I followed it. Though the storyline seemed to be recycled at times, and that chick with the bandages pissed me off at times, I still enjoyed it.

Rating - B
Episodes - 5

It was similar to Polyphonica, but the art style was much more refined and much better quality which is what attracted me to it. The "good guy" act the main character seem to be recycled sooooo many times, I just ignore it now. Other than that, I enjoy it.

Title: Hayate the Combat Butler
Rating - ?? I don't know any more. -1/100 every episode and ep 1 = a 90
Episodes - 31

It got more and more boring as each episode came out. I don't even know why I kept up. I guess i'm just bored now.

WanderingKnight
2007-11-29, 12:19
So far, nothing particularly impressive. I can't numerically rate series so I won't do it.

Kimikiss pure rouge
Episodes watched: 3
Impression: Not very interested on it, the promotional artwork had managed to pique my interest but I'm quickly losing it. I'll keep it around though, since it's a short series. Currently stalled in favor of more interesting series.

Dragonaut ~ The Resonance
Episodes watched: 8
Impression: Almost completely opposite of what GONZO usually offers. Overall visual quality has been top notch, music has been awesome, voice actors are pretty good... but the storyline and characters are completely messed up. Clichéd attitudes, completely absurd character reactions, a plot that advances extremely fast but doesn't manage to go anywhere at all, extremely sucky writing... Basically, it had everything to be good (on the overall quality side), but it managed to shove it down the drain quite speedily. I don't usually completely drop a series, but this one definitely deserved it.

Ghost Hound
Episodes watched: 5
Impression: very good. Atmospheric, Lain-esque approach to animation (no wonder it's the same director :D), plus its Masamune Shirow background, it's the obvious winner of my attention this season.

Blue Drop
Episodes watched: 5
Impression: It started off quite nice but I'm kind of losing interest on it... It's not bad, but it could use a bit more animation budget. Currently stalled in favor of other series.

Sketchbook ~ full color'S
Episodes watched: 6
Impression: TWO THUMBS UP! It mixes an AzuDai-styled cast of characters with ARIA-styled pure slice of life approach--an awesome combination in my book. Very interested in this series. Too bad it's only 13 episodes (let's hope we get more like with ARIA! After all, it's the same production studio).

Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Impression: It was a bit hit-and-miss at the beginning (I don't usually watch mecha shows), but I'm kind of starting to harvest a higher interest on it. Godly animation quality sure helps quite a bit.

Clannad
Impression: Not bad, but not impressive either. It's typical Key formula--it works and you know it's good, but it doesn't go beyond that. I'd really have Kyoani do something a bit more interesting than Key-styled harems, even though I don't hate those (in fact, I enjoyed Kanon 2006 quite a bit). Still, I'm interested enough on the show to watch the episodes as soon as they hit my hard drive.

Overall impression so far: Not the best. There's no ground-breaking show, and a dropped series doesn't add much to my impression of the season. My highest bids are placed on Ghost Hound and Sketchbook, but the first one doesn't seem too wow up until now, and the latter is of a genre not likely to be ground-breaking at all.

kimchipride
2007-12-02, 01:40
Episodes Viewed: 9

I liked all of KyoAni's works so this a default series to watch whether it be good or bad. Thankfully, it's a great series. The comedy is set and character development is coming out very nicely. Somehow, I think that this won't be as sad as Kanon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episodes Viewed: 8

The reason I watched Shana Season I was because Shana Season II was coming out in the fall. Too bad it's a disappointment so far. Although the quality of the series has been amped, I seem to have forgotten that this anime was supposed to be about torches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Hayate no Gotoku
Episodes Viewed: 34

Sigh... Everyone probably agrees the beginning of the series is at least 10x better than the recent episodes. I really enjoyed Hayate no Gotoku in the beginning but it seemed to go downhill after halfway through the first half. (if that makes sense)
I'm basically forcing myself to watch this series. I laugh now and then but it doesn't make up everything else. I'll finish this series for sure but I won't recommend any of my friends to watch this series.

I never heard about this anime until I became an animetard and started watching an explosion of anime. (which, unfortunately is costing my grades T_T) I have to say that this a pretty good series. It's funny and there's drama at some points. Episode 8 was probably the best episode so far. I felt chills when the mailbox was opened and more of Nanaka's past was revealed which explains her bitchy nature when she first meets Sana.

Title: Minami Ke

This anime took me by surprise. A friend recommended it to me and after watching the first episode, Chiiaki's Geass made me watch this series. It's a slice of life that is almost as good as Lucky Star. It's funny with a unique style of animation. The protagonists (3 sisters) all have different characters and skills which contrasts from each other. I'll have fun with this anime!!! I always enjoy the Sensei! Ninomiya-kun scenes.

Title: Ef - Tale of Memories

I guess I really shouldn't be judging this anime by the first episode because there are 8 more as of now. However, this anime never really got on to me. The plot sounded interesting, but when I saw it in execution, I felt it didn't really work out.
I didn't like the animation and the characters... Sorry!

BakaOnna
2007-12-05, 17:34
This fall season's anime are incredibly dull. I initially started with 4 series but now moved up to 6, and soon to be 7 if I decide to start Minami-ke. I usually don't judge an anime until its over, but unless something amazing happens in one of these series, they're most likely going to stay the same.

Oh, and the letter grades are equivalen to number grades (i.e. A+=10, A=9, A-=9/8, B=8, etc.)

Clannad
Episode viewed: 9
I'm enjoying this a lot, actually. I really like watching Tomoya's pranks and his development with Nagisa. No overblown amounts of drama to force the romance to start. Natural development by doing regular, almost everyday stuff together. My kind of romance.

Ghost Hound
Episode viewed: 6
The other show of the fall season that I'm enjoying. Psychology is a topic that I have an immense interest in, so I find this series intriguing and fresh. And the sound direction is absolutely amazing. However, I have to be in the right mood to watch this sort of anime.

Myself; Yourself
It's generic as hell, but I'm somehow sucked into the story. Maybe its because I really want to find out what happened to Sana when he was at his old school. I don't feel much for the romance though. It started with what I saw as a plot device. And because I find Nanaka's personality incredibly annoying.

Rental Magica
It's entertaining enough for me to keep going.

Ef-Tale of Memories
Rating: D+/C-
Episode viewed: 3
Granted, I just started this, but as generic as Myself; Yourself was, I found its first 3 episodes way more entertaining. I found the first 3 episodes of Ef be incredibly dull. And the characters are annoying. The art direction is nice though. But I think SHAFT did a better job with it in Zetsubou Sayonara Sensei. I'll still watch a few more episodes to see how this develops since I've read how great ep. 7 was.

Night Wizard
Blah. I don't even know why I watch this. Oh, it's because I don't like to drop series, and it's only 13 episodes. Thankfully.

Planning to watch someitime in future:
Minami-Ke
Rating:
Episode viewed:

Anyway, I'll update my final reviews after these 12/13 episode series are done.

Westlo
2007-12-11, 01:47
Updated Ratings.

Fun series.

It's alright but doesn't really grab me.

I've enjoyed it and even though I think 4 was the best episode I just haven't felt like watching any more of it for now.

I don't have time for mediocrity and looking at blog posts on episodes I didn't watch it looks like I made the right choice.

Title: EF - A Tale of Memories

Similar to Clannad I've enjoyed this but haven't had any motavation to continue for now.

Very impressive animation and sound direction, I'm intrigued to see how this turns out.

Was fun at first but it's not something I'm eager to watch.

Title: Hero Tales

Comments from people watching later episodes have left me not wanting to continue this. I'll rather spend my time watching some other Shounen anime like One Piece or Hunter X Hunter.

Enjoying this, just need to find time to watch it.

Title: Myself:Yourself
Episodes Viewed: 10

Really enjoying this, good think I downloaded an episode of this by accident instead of Ninomiya-kun.

I realized I don't need to see the second episode of this to confirm how crap it is.

I didn't sign up for As The Flame Haze turns, 8 + 9 seem to have promise though.

So yeah I'm not really impressed with this season, only other show I'm going to give a chance from this season is Moyashimon which I've heard a lot of good things from. I will watch everything that airs on the Noitamina block eventually anyway...

bigsocce
2007-12-11, 04:03
I got a PM from a Mod telling me to post this in this thread instead.

Fall 2007 anime = anime that started in Fall 2007 (late Sept, Oct, Nov). On-going anime like Naruto, Bleach and Hayate the Combat Butler don't count. Please discuss why they are your top 5 anime of Fall 2007. (I don't want this thread to be closed because "listing a top 5 without discussion" is a no-on on animesuki forum). Thank you.

My top 5:

1. Shakugan no Shana II (I very much enjoyed the first season and the second season is just as good. Fantasy/Action is my type of anime)
2. Genshiken II (For fans of the first season like me, it's a must watch)
3. Clannad A bit like Kanon which isn't a bad thing. I hope it gets better from now on.
4. Gundam 00 Action and Mecha. Not as good as Gundam Seed but the animation is world-class. It's a must-see for Gundam fan.
5. Ghost Hound The first few episodes are so so but the latest episodes are getting a lot better.

p.s. The "Top 5 Anime Favourites" thread is very useful and interesting. If that thread is okay for the Moderators, I hope this thread is okay too. I really don't want this thread to get closed. Thank you.

-----------------------------------
Why are the Mods so picky????

A top 5 anime from Fall 2007 (with discussion) is more helpful than this thread IMO. Oh well, I'm off to join another anime forum. Animesuki is too damn strict. Let's me create my thread, after 2-4 days, it will be gone like a normal life cyle of threads.

A criticism for this thread: More people would reply to this thread if it is simplier. Too much work and A,B,C,D,E rating system is inferior.
A simple rating out of 10 would be a lot better like this....

Shana II 8.4/10
Genshiken II 8.3/10
Clannad 8.1/10
Gundam 8/10
Dragonaut 5.5/10

ETC.....................

Westlo
2007-12-11, 07:31
Yes I agree the A,B,C,D,E rating system is the most complex in the world and you have to possess a brain to understand it, but hey man I have to say those numbers system you want to use look pretty complex as well! Lets change it to thumbs up or thumbs down than everyone else instead of just the brain surgeons can understand these complex ratings!

bigsocce
2007-12-12, 06:45
Yes I agree the A,B,C,D,E rating system is the most complex in the world and you have to possess a brain to understand it, but hey man I have to say those numbers system you want to use look pretty complex as well! Lets change it to thumbs up or thumbs down than everyone else instead of just the brain surgeons can understand these complex ratings!

The number system is easier to understand and process. It's simple too and require a lot less time to reply to.

My rating for Fall 2007 (from best to worst)

Shana II -------8.4/10
GenshikenII--- 8.3/10
Clannad------- 8.1/10
Gundam 00---- 8/10
Ghost Hound---7.9/10
Kaiji ------------7.8/10
Bamboo Blade-- 7.5/10
Myself Yourself-- 7.1/10
Night Wizard-----6.8/10
Rental Magica----6.7/10
Dragonaut------ 5.5/10

But for some reason, the Moderators prefer discussion. I prefer a list. Sometimes, simple is best.

--------------------------------------------
I hope this thread won't be closed.
--------------------------------------------

Shana II -------8.4/10
GenshikenII--- 8.3/10
Clannad------- 8.1/10
Gundam 00---- 8/10
Ghost Hound---7.9/10
Kaiji ------------7.8/10
Bamboo Blade-- 7.5/10
Myself Yourself-- 7.1/10
Dragonaut------ 5.5/10

Look, just give this thread a chance. If it is not popular, it will die on its own. Don't close it please. Think of it as an experiment where 'simple' might be better than 'complex.'

I believe this is more useful than the Sticky: Fall 2007 Anime Review Thread: Post Your Opinion and Grade thread. That thread is too complex to process and require too much time to reply. Let's this thread proves me wrong (i.e. it will die when no-one reply).

I am asking you Moderators to give this thread a chance to breathe and live. If it is unpopular, 1-2 days and it will be history. It will be buried on page 3 of this forum.

Let's the posters decide if this thread is useful or not. Discussion is great and all but sometimes some people would prefer a simple list.

KholdStare
2007-12-12, 07:12

It's not that bad but so far it's just average and doesn't live up to its expectancies IMO. There's no way I can rate this series without comparison to the first series, and let's just hope it comes near the level of interest the first series offers. Kazumi is still cute. :love:

I really liked the first episode for some reason, but the second one just didn't have the same pace and plot I was looking for. Everything seems to happen at the end of the episode, and the male lead is kinda meh.

This anime is hilarious, and could possibly live up to my expectations as a good comedy anime for the season. I never even heard of it until the season started, and it was a good surprise.

One word: ithasaverycatchyplot. This is probably the most interesting anime of this season and I stayed glued to the screen for the duration of the second episode. I can't say I like the art very much, but wow, it's exciting.

I think it's an interesting show, but I'm still not sure on if it will last. I enjoyed the first two episodes, but nevertheless, Aoi's voice is too annoying for this series to have an A.

Hm, I've never watched a yuri series before (in which the main focus was yuri) but so far I've been enjoying it. I'm still not sure about it, but the first episode was at lesat, not a turn off.

I had to watch it twice to really get into it, and I'm not sure what else to say about it. I have to watch more to comment.

New Ratings:

Episodes: 10

I lost all hope for this anime (or I'm about to). I do realize that it does follow the source material, but unfortunately, it doesn't really interest me anymore.

This anime just jumped up a big notch with the display of episodes 7, 9, and 10.

Episodes: 9

I don't look forward to it as much as I used to, but it's still very funny and I enjoy it when I watch it.

Granted, it's very exciting, but lately Kaiji's actions are mysterious and I just don't really see where this is going. I guess the anime itself did not demote my rating, but really three other anime just went above my expectations that made this anime not my main focus anymore.

This anime is now wonderful, but unlike Clannad, the newer episodes cannot vouch for its earlier inconsistency.

Rating: DROPPED

I used to give this anime a B but then it wasn't for me. The plot was confusing me and it doesn't look like it would get anywhere.

Hm, it's still not one of my favorites since the plot isn't really that interesting to me. It pulled off some dramatic episodes that left me saying wow, but overall, my feelings and rating for this anime didn't change.

It's not the same as it was before, and while I do kinda enjoy it, I don't at the same time.

Episodes: 8

I have little knowledge of shougi but like Kaiji, I find this type of anime very exciting to watch.

Ascaloth
2007-12-12, 07:39
Hmm, I didn't actually know there was anything like this. Let me give this a go....

KyoAni's been building up a habit of "slow starts" ever since they started on their KEY adaptation career (SHnY is the sole exception, and the FMPs don't count since they came BEFORE the KEY adaptations), and CLANNAD (TV) isn't any exception. And by "slow starts", I don't mean the pacing of the storyline; I mean initial episodes which look pretty damn good, but otherwise don't seem to be anything special. But the thing about KyoAni KEY adaptations is that, I know it WILL get better if I continue watching. That's the other side of the KyoAni style. Otherwise, brilliant visuals as always, great characters, ALL the girls are actually likable for a change, although the pace is a little frenetic than I'm used to for a KEY adaptation.

Continue watching?: You kiddin' me? Of course I am. It's KEY/KyoAni.

I don't know what kind of weed the SHAFT animators are smoking, but I don't like that the weed's effects are spilling over into their work. Jeez, those schizophrenic effects work pretty damned well for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but for a perfectly good VN adaptation?!

Continue watching?: Tentatively yes, but SHAFT is walking a tightrope with me here. If I get too much "weed" effects, this goes into the trash.

Gundams pWning everyone else? Check
Mysterious organization with ulterior motive? Check
Bishounen? Check
Successor to Heero Yuy? Check
Successor to Relena Peacecraft? Check
Successor to Dorothy? Check

Continue watching?:That said, it's Gundam. And this one actually looks quite purdy and fairly realistic for a change; I'm following this.

New Ratings

As expected, KyoAni really delivers when it matters. CLANNAD (TV) is on course to becoming KyoAni's greatest KEY adaptation yet.

Against all odds, I'm actually enjoying this a lot. Episode 7 is one of the most haunting ones I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, Gundam 00 has been going downhill ever since its inception. I'm giving this series more of a chance than I would give most others because it's a 50 episode monster, but there's a limit to my tolerance for mediocrity.

martino
2007-12-13, 12:25
Not a strong title, however nonetheless the plot does pick up a bit after the few episodes and the characters don't stay as flat character-wise as they appear to be at the start.

Not being a big fan of mecha didn't stop me from enjoying this. Very interesting plot as well as mysterious characters which leave a lot to be revealed in the future episodes. (Coming from someone that didn't see any other Gundam related anime before.)

Don't be fooled and put off by all the pink around you! It is a show aimed at kids, but the main character has a remarkably interesting personality, accompanied along with very good voice acting. Considering the manga the plot doesn't progress too much, and this is one of the few annoying downsides of this otherwise promising series.

If light-hearted comedy is what you are looking for then this is something that I personally wouldn't miss.

Title: ef ~a tale of memories~
Episodes Viewed: 7
I must say that this is currently the most interesting title from all the ones that I started watching. The lethargic and somewhat unclear start does evolve into a truly interesting plot with lots of promise in the future episodes.

Not a very impressing start, however the later episodes seem to pick up the plot and finally get down to some more serious business.

Not much to say from the first episode, but nothing inspiring overall. However knowing the previous DC series the possibility of the plot picking up is there.

Will edit my post to add any other series that I'll pick up for the Fall season.

killbethy
2007-12-14, 15:42
side note before review: i thought it my help to have a list of all the fall anime that is eligible for the fall ratings stated by the admins (late September - November). -- I put stars (***) by anime that I have not seen available fansubbed or licensed --

LIST OF FALL ANIME BY RELEASE DATE (movies, specials, OVAs, OAVs, TV, anime-based live-action)

Clannad (movie) -- Sept. 15
ARIA the OVA ~ARIETTA~ (OVA) -- Sept. 21
Bamboo Blade (TV) -- Oct. 2
D.C II: Da Capo II (TV) -- Oct. 2
Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (TV) -- Oct. 2
Mokke (TV) -- Oct. 3
Night Wizard The Animation (TV) -- Oct. 3
Suteki Tantei Labyrinth (TV) -- Oct. 3
Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro (TV) -- Oct. 3
Blue Drop: Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku (TV) -- Oct. 3
Myself; Yourself (TV) -- Oct. 3
Negima! Master Negi Magi (live-action) -- Oct. 3 ***
Dragonaut - The Resonance (TV) -- Oct. 4
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun (TV) -- Oct. 4
Clannad (TV) -- Oct. 5
Shakugan no Shana Second (TV) -- Oct. 5
You're Under Arrest: Full Throtle (TV) -- Oct. 5
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (TV) -- Oct. 6
Sengoku Gakudou Nikki: Sensei no Chonmage (TV) -- Oct. 6 ***
Shugo Chara! (TV) -- Oct. 6
Tensai? Dr. Hamax (TV) -- Oct.6 ***
ef - a tale of memories (TV) -- Oct. 7
Kimikiss pure rouge (TV) -- Oct. 7
Hatara Kids Maiham Gumi (TV) -- Oct. 7 ***
Maple Story (TV) -- Oct. 7
Minami-ke (TV) -- Oct. 7
Rental Magica (TV) -- Oct. 8
Jyuushin Enbu - Hero Tales (TV) -- Oct. 8
Prism Ark (TV) -- Oct. 8
Genshiken 2 (TV) -- Oct. 9
Kodomo no Jikan (TV) -- Oct. 11
Moyashimon/Tales of Agriculture (TV) -- Oct. 11
Shion no Ou (TV) -- Oct. 14
Koharu Biyori (OAV) -- Oct. 15 ***
Ghost Hound (TV) -- Oct. 18
Hidamari Sketch (special) -- Oct. 18
Appleseed Ex Machina (movie) -- Oct. 20
Ichigo Ichie - Koibana Tomobana (TV) -- Oct. 20 ***
Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase (OAV) -- Oct. 20 ***
Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files (OAV) -- Oct. 26 ***
Clamp in Wonderland 2 (OAV) -- Oct. 26
Kyo Kara Maoh! R (OAV) -- Oct. 26
Yes! Precure 5 (movie) -- Nov. 10 ***
Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations (OAV) -- Nov. 16

Falkor
2007-12-17, 18:38
Refer to this post

I have made a little update. There are some shows i dropped; some i'm still giving a chance; some i'm really enjoying; and finally some i did not include in my first review.

Rating: C --> B

I started watching this show fansubbed, but after a while, I have been trying the raws since the subs were kind of slow. And so, this became the only show I’m following as it comes out. There are many things I don’t understand and could care less to find out later on with fansubs since the humor is not bad, the story is appealing, and the characters are interesting/unique thus far.

Episodes Viewed: 11

What else can I say about this show? After 11 episodes, the gags don’t seem to get old at all, but grow up as more characters are introduced. It’s one of the few shows that rarely fail to amuse me as it reaches the end of its broadcast. One of my favorite Slice-of-Life/Comedy of this season and hopefully Okawari won’t disappoint.

Probably my favorite show of the year. This is the show I have been longing to watch since the end of Kanon back in March. I really had high expectations for this show, and thus far, it lived up to what I expected to be. Episode 09 was really great, and 10 transitioned very well into the arch of my favorite seiyuu. Overdoses of moe, heartbreaking drama, and an amazing repertoire for humor have made me wanting for more with every passing week.

Candy boy

This was another surprise I would have not noticed if it wasn’t labeled as an ONA. Only 8 minutes or so of this show were enough to create a coherent story, to present the main characters, to develop a conflict, to reach some kind of climax, and to finish up with a satisfying ending. Animation-wise, the characters and the background were static in some scenes, but very detailed nonetheless. If the lack of yuri has left you in despair, you should give this show a try since the yuri subtext is good for your health.

Ghost Hound
Episodes: 8

Great animation, engaging plot, complex characters are but the basic characteristics of a show attempting to explore the conscious and unconscious mind through the eyes of three seemingly unrelated boys. Since the opening sequence, I knew this show will have the quality to keep me not only entertained, but also interested on the topics at hand. The sound direction is the best of the season to the say the least, but it somehow pales to the thorough analysis/development of the characters with respect to an underlying “surreal world.”

Watching fellow otakus was never this interesting. I couldn’t be more satisfied after 10 episodes, and a particular one with yaoi undertones.

Rating: B- --> C-

After 11 episodes or so, the plot hasn’t moved in any direction. I’m still waiting for something interesting to happen and it seems the following episodes will be enough to set up the story. Until then, I will say that Shana has been a bit disappointing with little going except an interesting flashback and tons of tsundereness.

I don’t have too much to say, except that I like Slice-Of-Life. I will never drop a show in the same league as Aria, but I might end up holding on this one until Christmas.

Rating: C --> D-

D- and I’m still watching this show. There’s something wrong with me. I don’t like the “exaggerated proportions,” the “fabulous plot twists,” and the “groundbreaking story,” but I’m just curious on how much potential will be wasted on the show. This could have been great or is probably great, but I cannot bring myself to like it.

Rating: D+ --> D-
Episodes Viewed: 7 and a half

The same as Dragonaut. I have no idea why I’m still giving one more chance to this show. I stopped in the middle of 8 and couldn’t go forward anymore. I’m hoping the following episodes will grab my attention, otherwise, this has seriously become something I shouldn’t bother at all.

Rating: C- --> D+

I enjoy fan-service, but I feel it is somehow lacking after 9 episodes or so. Probably is just me who doesn’t find the fan-service to be pleasing or eye-catching.

Episodes Viewed: It was around 3

I didn’t give up on this show. I knew it was really bad and should drop it right away.

Episodes: 7

The show seems interesting and is enough for me. The plot is a little stagnant at this moment, but is slowly unfolding.

I have always loved SHAFT/Shinbo’s formula to adapt different media into anime. It’s a combination of strange editing skills with wacky imagery that brings a new meaning to the overall atmosphere and the underlying plot. It’s not your usual anime with standard storytelling, but one that is seeking creative ways of appealing to an audience.

Episodes: It was around 8 or 9. I don’t remember anymore.

This is the only show I gave up. I couldn’t stand the episodic formula and the lack of effort to create a coherent, and yet entertaining plot worthwhile of my time.

Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Rating: B --> C+

Kimikiss is nowhere near Nodame, and even less of Honey and Clover, though it is slightly better than most shows of this season. I had big expectations, but I’m a bit disappointed thus far. The low budget is a serious drawback, but the story/plot is lacking in every aspect. However, I cannot pass a final judgment at this stage when things are just setting up.

Prism Ark
Rating: F-

The first episode just scared me and I didn’t dare to watch anymore.

The similitude between Kaiji and Akagi are not that surprising when both have the same director and Animation Studio working underneath. Both deal with the dangerous world of gambling to the point of risking their own lives. Kaiji seems less complicated/complex than Akagi, which is a good thing. Interesting plot twists and yet suffering of the same problem Akagi did towards the end. The story is too dragged on in certain parts, especially when the characters go emo for long periods of time. When it comes to an engaging plot, Kaiji succeeds, but when it comes to pacing, something is really off.

Shion no Ou
Rating: ---

I cannot rate this show since I have no idea how shogi is played. This type of show usually interests me in a similar way Akagi did, but there’s something missing to grab my attention.

Kodomo no Jikan

I couldn’t stand the annoying censorship and the intelligence of whoever came out with the censors. If they are doing a show that is already not adequate for a young audience dealing with many mature/obscene issues, is there any need to censor the “obscene parts” when the whole show is obscene in essence?

Koharu Biyori

The very definition of fan-service. If there’s a show with fan-service that needs to be checked out, it has to be this one. It combines every form of fan-service with a really entertaining interaction between the main leads. My only complaint would be waiting for the next ova to come out.

You're Under Arrest
Rating: ---

I followed past seasons and I enjoyed them, but episodic shows are not my cup of tea when I have more interesting shows this season. I might watch it when is finished.

changeup
2007-12-20, 00:52
All the series I am reviewing here I have finished the latest episode.

Bamboo Blade: B-

Nice to see what they can do with such a limited budget. However, it is not my type, and the story is not very interesting. Mainly watching for the characters.

Da Capo II: C

Very plain story. The episodes about robot are not written well and not convincing. Most of the casts we really do not know their reasons to be there...

Sketchbook Full Color's: B+

The equivalent of Aria in this year. Enough said.

Myself; Yourself: A-

The plot is very enjoyable. The characters are round and vivid. One of the better romances in this season. No harem is a plus

Genshiken 2: B

It is generally ok, but nothing very special. We already knew enough about the Otaku's in the season 1. Nice to see the members starting to make matches though.

Night Wizard the Animation: B

So far very cliche. But it still got my heart... I might give it a higher score depending on how the finale playes out.

Blue Drop: A

Not as good as Simoun, but easily one of my all-time favorite. If they pull out a moving finale, I might actually put it ahead of Kanazuki no Miko.... The growth of Mari, and her relationship with her friends, of course, the love with Hagino are all very presented. Now I want to ask the question why the best romances always seem to come from Yuri genre?

Kaiji: B-

Too dark for my taste, but breathtaking... it is also unique, so some extra points.

Mokke: A-

Best mystery series of this year. All the stories are well-written, and show us some important lessons of life. It has been a while since we can take some morals from an anime...

Suteki Tenshin: C+

The graph and character design are beautiful. But the plot is as lame as it can get... Ok, I admit I keep on watching this one just because I want to see and hear more Horie Yui ...

Dragonaut the resonance: B-

One of the favorite for the fanboys and fangirls I suppose, you get a little bit about almost everything. Otherwise I do not see much merits of this series. The main protagonists are especially not likeable.

Kodomo no Jikan: C

Yeah, I know the censorship rule... but well, if you cannot tell your story under that, why not just sell OVAs?

Gosoushuusama Ninomiya-Kun: D

Almost pointless fanservice series...

Clannad: B+

I know this might be a little bit too low, but it so far has not impressed me. I have expected this one to be another classic from KyotoAni. I kinda think it still can, but not there yet now...

Shana II: B+

I seriously want my Yuuji, who in the novel is such an intelligent man that the flame-hazes would not have won a lot of battles without his coaching... back

You are under arrested: Full Throttle: B-

Just not my type...

Gundam 00: C+

The plot is really an insult to my IQ, I have to say.

ef-a tale of memories: A

The way they are presenting the story is wonderful. The story is also strong enough on its own. Easily one of the best anime in this season.

Kimikiss Pure Rouge: C

They can really have a better use of all the seiyu talents they have gathered.

Shion no Ou: B

Fanboys' version of Hikaru no Go. I think I could have enjoyed this series better if only I knew how to play Shogi

Rental Magica: B-

Nice try with the manipulation of the chronology. Otherwise non-descriptive. And yeah, harem... although not that senseless, but not to my taste anyway.

Prism Ark: C-

Anyone who has not played the game can understand what they are trying to present?

Minamike: B+

It really makes most people laugh, which a lot of other comedies this year failed. However, that's pretty much all you can get from it.

Moyashimon: B

Is this an educational series or just a tool to show fanservices? And yeah, Kei is very, very hot...

Malintex_Terek
2007-12-22, 23:06
I guess I should update as well.

E.V.: 8
Des.: Moeblobs, inane indecisive generic harem leads with no redeeming qualities, nothing original and a whole lot of stupid fanservice all wrapped up in ugly artwork. Really, as much as I wanted to someday give this show a good mark from that first scene in the first episode, this show was plain bad.

Title: Shakugan no Shana Second
E.V.: 9
Des.: Too much harem stuff, really generic and the plot goes nowhere. Until Sairei no Hebi incarnates, this sequel will not cease to fail (if he ever appears at all).

E.V.: 8
Des.: Not a bad show! But, most of the "fear" factor has sifted away by the seventh episode, and the route this anime is taking ("save the world") is too predictable.

E.V.: 1
Des.: This is an OK show, I don't like how the mouths are drawn or the humour though. It will probably get better in the future, so I expect this grade to rise to about a B+ at best.

E.V.: 6
Des.: Sort of like a fusion between Hikaru no Go and Akagi but not as good as either. It's got some original feel to it, though Studio DEEN has gone out of its way to make the anime as ugly as possible.

Fweakin
2007-12-23, 19:31
Okay, here we go...

Nearly one of the best this season, depending on what TPTB decide to do with the ending. Yeah, it has its problems (eg. episodes 5 and 6 feel filler-ish, weird pacing at times), but the slow build of both plot and character development is what really helps seal the deal. This isn't forgetting the lush piano driven BGM interesting direction and excellent voice acting, particularly Miyuki Sawashiro (Hagino) and supporting character Tsubael (Yuuko Gouto).

Title: ef - a tale of memories
Another one of the best series this season. It's first episode is a little lacking, and the artistic direction could scare some people away. But for those who stick with it, particularly past the few few episodes, you will be rewarded. If you want things really spelt out for you, this is probably not the anime for you. If you want something more than monster of the week, and have an interest in the human condition, this will probably be for you. Episode 7 is the weaker of episodes IMO (different feel to the series through most of the episode; very melodramatic in the middle; and while fascinating the final part dragged on for about 2minutes too long).

KyoAni's leviathan of a anime, it largely lives up to expectations. Pacing is still a little off (but that seems to be KyoAni's major problem through its entire range of anime) but as usual the art is beautiful, and the characters deeper than they appear. And long live the capable male protagonist! There is more of humour in Clannad than Kanon, which is maybe why its not thrilling me as much as its predecessor. That said, its still early-ish in the piece, and my favourite characters are yet to come. It also wins points for the cameo's from other series :D

Title: Shana Second

I loved the first series of Shana, I really did. But I feel that they've really dropped the ball this time around. Argue until you're blue in the face, but 10 episodes where literally nothing important happens (save the introduction of a character whose big reveal is going to be not so big nor revealing) is not character development, its merely poor storytelling. Now at episode 11, the pace is finally starting to pick up, and they've finally caught the characters up to where the left off in season 1 (damn stupid reset buttons ::shakes fist::). Has the potential to pick up (before Margery episodes it was sitting on a D).

If you're looking for melodrama in the daytime-soap variety, then look no further. Redundant characters, obvious things spelt out in excruciating detail, drama of the ridiculous kind, poor voice acting (never thought I'd say that looking at the cast list). Some people like this kind of show; I feel it makes me dumber by watching it. The only reason I continue to watch it is because I can't drop series; I have to watch them through regardless of how rubbishy they are.

bigsocce
2007-12-25, 04:58

(new update)

Clannad------- 8.8/10
Ef-Tales of memories---8.7/10
Shana II -------8.4/10
GenshikenII--- 8.3/10
Bamboo Blade-- 8.3/10
Minami-ke--------8.1/10
Gundam 00---- 8.0/10
Ghost Hound---7.9/10
Kaiji ------------7.8/10
Myself Yourself-- 7.4/10
Dragonaut------ 7.1/10
Shion no Ou-----6.9/10 (dropped)
Night Wizard-----6.8/10 (dropped)
Rental Magica----6.7/10 (dropped)

Shana
2007-12-25, 15:41
I haven't watched many shows this season, I dropped many of them by the first episode.

I love the plot, the characters, actually the best show (for me) this season by far. Maybe 1 or 2 episodes in Fuko's arc bored me, but actually it's a pretty good show.

Title: Goshuusho-sama Ninomiya-kun
Episodes Viewed: Dropped at episode 5

Oh yeah! I didn't drop this before because Reika was there. They treated Reika as a secondary character, and she isn't. All the Reika moments were ecchi (the "who will win Ninomiya" thing, at the beach, etc...) and so, Mayu was there and oh! they take off the Reika moment to focus on Mayu's panties or boobs! What a surprise, eh?

Title: Ef ~ a tale of memories

What an exellent show! maybe a bit of rush in Miyako and Hiro's scene (you know... episode 9 or 10) but I love it! has a dreamy feel. I'm a SHAFT fan now.

Title: Shakugan no SHANA II

Oh god, I wanted to watch this show with a decent plot, not a "let's-fight-for-Yuji's-heart" thingy! I don't care about harem, but NO fights? Fights are what describes SHANA! Actually, only episode 10 and 8, made me a little curious, but at all I didn't like them.

I like a lot this show! a few random episodes, you laught. But then come the serious episodes, not serious at all ^_^. A comedy with a plot FTW!

Not the best. Not bad at all, but not the best show.

It's nice... not the best. So many plot-twists, but at all it's enjoyable.

I like it. Nice plot, a bit "difficult" to get for me, but enjoyable.

This season has been HORRIBLE, only a few shows are decent right now. I have dropped more than half of this season's anime.

Hanbok
2007-12-29, 00:46

Originally, I was only planning on watching the first episode because I was bored. This series has sucked me in since episode one. Minami-ke is just very amusing overall and the characters are just great.

Episodes Viewed: 8/DROPPED

I watched the trailer for this series and I thought to myself, "Awsome, to hell with SEED!". I tried watching this, but I would find myself skimming through the episodes because they were soooo boring. The plot is pretty cool and the character designs are a lot better than the SEED series, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Episodes Viewed: 4/DROPPED

It started out alright, believe me! I felt retarded watching this show later on though.

Episodes Viewed: 1/DROPPED

I don't know what to say. It really only took one episode to make me delete this and never look back.

BakaOnna
2007-12-29, 01:22
Now that a handful of series are finished, I can post my final grades/scores. Overall, mediocre endings to a mediocre season. New scores will be indicated in red.

Oh, and I'm going to include both letter and number grades.

Moyashimon
Rating: A (9.3/10)
Episode viewed: 6
This series is absolutely brilliant. It's like Ghost Hound in terms of "edudcation level" but in understandable terms. I've never seen anything like it. The microbes are freaking adorable, and the non-microbe characters are likable.

Clannad
Rating: A- (8.9/10)
Episode viewed: 9 ---> 12
Still having a great time watching this series. Kotomi is adorable.

Ghost Hound
Rating: B (8.6/10)
Episode viewed: 6 ---> 9
The last two episodes got me really pumped. I can't wait to see more. The sound still amazes me with every episode.

Minami-Ke
Rating: B- (8.0/10)
Episode viewed: Completed
The beginning was slow, and I didn't find it that funny until Hosaka showed up. :heh: After that, things got a lot more fun and entertaining. Male cast is one of the best I've seen in its genre. Oh, and Chiaki is annoying. Just hate her snobby, know-it-all attitude. I prefer Kana. :p

Ef-Tale of Memories
Rating: D+/C- ---> C+/B- (7.9/10)
Episode viewed: 3 ---> Completed
Easily had the best ending out of the three or so that I've seen thus far. Still, I found the beginning rather dull, and the drama sometimes came out as contrived and melodramatic. Good series, but not one that I would rewatch.

Rental Magica
Rating: C ---> C- (7.0/10)
Episode viewed: 9 ---> 12
It's entertaining enough for me to keep going, but last couple of episodes were weak.

Myself; Yourself
Rating: C ---> F(6.0/10)
Episode viewed: 9 ---> Completed
Urgh, the last few episodes just became a massive trainwreck, and not the good kind either. Ending is mediocre and came out almost randomly (i.e. 10 years later). Now that I look back, I don't know how I got into it. Oh, and Nanaka's still as annoying as she is in the beginning.

Night Wizard
Rating: F (5.2/10)
Episode viewed: 9 ---> Completed
My standards must have dropped. I actually didn't find the ending horrible, even though it's generic as hell and filled with DEM. Maybe it's because I was in a mood for happy endings. Added a few points for having good pacing.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-12-29, 23:20
Gundam 00
Rating:A 8.8/10

Gundam 00 continues to bustle with increasingly developed and interesting characters, as well as a lot of political intrigue and many questions to ask as the series enters a brief hiatus. I'd like to say it wasn't a forgone conclusion that this would be my favourite series of the fall season, and I'll admit I had some doubts going in after how Gundam Seed Destiny came out, but somehow I knew that things would turn out right after I saw the first promo for the series. Now a series with some of the best examples of shades of grey continues onward as my enjoyment mounts.

Rental Magica
Rating: D+ 5/10

Despite the fact this series remains quite mediocore after my first two helpings, something tells me that it is in fact going somewhere (hopefully). That I can't understand what is going on because of the screwed up narrative, is not helping the series right now though.

Kodomo No Jikan
Rating: B- 7.1/10
Episodes Viewed:11

A very enjoyable adaptation of a fun and sometimes honest to god thoughtful manga, that I won't hold televison censorship against much. Some of the episodes feature several chapters from across the manga that are combined into single episodes in order to maximize the amount of manga material in this series with it's unreasonably low episode count and this tactic, which amounts to a bit of a cramming actually works quite well, and in one case I feel better than the actual manga itself.

Dragonaut The Resonance
Rating: C- 6.0/10
Episodes Viewed:6

The series is flashy, fanservicey, gets the bloodpumping and seems to have absolutely no idea how to hold down a stable narrative or where in gods name it is going. At least where I am in it. And that's why I'm sitting on the fence with my rating of it, because as with the series I have absolutely no idea what to make of it other than Siegliende is eye candy. In that case usually something get's the six and should be darn apprecitiave of it.

Clannad
Rating: C 6.4/10

Eyecandy that also tries really hard to balance comedy and drama, but doesn't seem be able to pull it off well. There is one character I absolutely can't stand, which doesn't help the show, but the female lead Nagisa is one of the more likeable female leads I've seen in a Visual Novel adaptation in a while, and she doesn't really on being cute to get away with me liking her, she earns it through her strong character. Still when I think of the majority of the characters, the term blase comes to mind to describe how I feel about them.

Slice of Life
2007-12-30, 16:54
I already bored you with my expectations for the winter season so I can as well go on and talk about the current one. I'm going to restrict myself to the (non H) stuff found at anidb and late September, October, and November since I've already talked about December in the winter expectations thread.

My ra(n)ting is of course strictly subjective.

Category A: The really good stuff. The money I will eventually spend on DVDs will go here.
How much episodes do I have watched? I'm more or less up to date with the subbed episodes.

Minami-ke: A+
Minami-ke did the rare trick to actually get better with every passing episode. It has become one of the best shows in the slice of life genre. Why? Three words: the male cast. Making excellent slice of life comedy is easy when you add a dose of male/female tension. It's as simple as that. Too bad, the soulless engineers of anime are too busy increasing the output of their moe machines to get that.

Genshiken 2: A-
Not as good as the first season, maybe because it tried too hard to please the otaku instead of documenting otaku life in a comic fashion. Still, a lot of brilliant funny and intelligent dialogues.

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor: A-
A little surprise. I couldn't stand the predecessor Akagi because of a) Akagi himself and b) I'm not interested in mahjong. Kaiji is a so much more interesting character and the constant tension keeps you at the edge of your seat. But somebody please just kill the narrator.

Moyashimon: A-
Likable, mature characters, girls clothed in leather, moe micro organisms. What more do you want? The microbe theatre can be safely ignored. Raws are secured, waiting for the rest of the subs.

Ghost Hound: A-
Wasted potential. Was going for A++ until the appearance of Caspar the little ghost. Lost atmosphere and direction afterwards. But still A worthy up to now.

Category B: I've watched them till the end or intend to, but I'm not planning to buy the DVDs.
Again, I've watched all there is (subbed).

Bamboo Blade: B+
Reading the synopsis I thought "harem" and "sports drama" but it is neither, just a funny lighthearted show about girls hurting people with long sticks. ;) I enjoy this immensely and pray it won't slip into the sports drama category later on. If it becomes too serious about kendo I might still skip it.

Sketchbook: full color's: B+
Wonderfully calm and relaxing slice of life show. With apostrophe's and cat's.

KimiKiss Pure Rouge: B
Hentai game conversion named "KimiKiss Pure Rouge". *swallows* An anime that reminded me once again how important it is to actually check out stuff instead of putting too much trust in your own preconceptions. This one would be different from Myself; Yourself, ef, and Clannad, that much was pretty clear already after one episode. I'm still enjoying it. The characters aren't as complex as in Honey and Clover, I know, I know.

Taiho Shichauzo: Full Throttle: B
YUA delivers. It was the safest bet for this season. I knew it wouldn't be stellar but still be able to amuse me. And that's what it did. YUA 3 is a typically 90s anime beamed into the present to remind me that not everything was bad back then.

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth: B (C? D? XYZ?)
Too bad there are only so few subbed episodes and I never found the time or energy to peek into the raws. It's a nice little show, waaay less mechanic/generic than Neuro but after only 5(?) subbed episodes I still don't know where this is going. Maybe nowhere.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun: B
Oh, this is bad. Plotless ecchi fanservice. I'm going to skip it. After the next episode. Or the one after it. What, it's over already? Yes, it turned out to be my guilty pleasure. I'm a bad SoL.

Shugo Chara!: B-
I almost had skipped this little mahou shoujo show but lately there seems to be something like a plot. Then again: it seems to be 50 episodes long. I don't think I have that much stamina.

Mokke: B-
Anime starting with "Mo" about somebody who can see things not in the bible. Moyashimon? Wrong. Why am I still watching this? The main characters are so flat and cold. I don't care about Shinto spirits and if I cared I would read about them in a goddamn book instead of getting lectured by a cartoon. This one is really on the brink. If there were more good shows this season it would already have ended up under C.

Candy Boy: B-
Boy? Which boy anyway? I finished it, so it technically belongs to B. It's hard not to finish an anime that is only 10 minutes long. I didn't hate it. It's hard to hate an anime that is only 10 minutes long.

Category C: We parted, but on good to neutral terms.
The better ones of these I even would have continued to watch if there hadn't been anything else. But trying to be objective, this category contains some of the worst stuff which was so bland it couldn't even piss me off enough to end up under D.

Rental Magica: C+ (10 epsiodes)
Special powers, harem, deus ex machina super weapon, episodic structure. Same old, same old. Never did anything really wrong so it took me a while to break free. Yes, that's exactly what I mean with "so bland it couldn't even piss me off".

Night Wizard: C+ (5 epsiodes)
Again, something that's not even capable of failing properly. Game conversions are never stellar, but here the source was really too obvious. Clear the level, go to next.

Prism Ark: C (5 episodes)
And yet another show I can only describe as "mostly harmless".

Blue Drop: C (8 episodes)
I tried. Really. But it seems I just can't warm up to these terribly uptight yuri shows. Cliche overload. The drama. The-not-really-homosexuals (because of some biological mumbo-jumbo). The setting, once again a St. Gay Academy For The Lesbian Virgins. Maybe they should have tried to tell the story in 10 minutes (see Candy Boy).

Shion no Ou: C (7 episodes)
As I said when talking about Bamboo Blade, I don't like sports drama. Why should I care about one high school football team losing or winning against another? Let alone about people moving pieces around? I always want to shout at them: It's just sports, guys! Don't take it so super-seriously! All the cheesy attempts to inject drama into a *Shogi match* exploded into a vacuum without any effect. The more time the shogi occupied, the more I lost interest.

Kodomo no Jikan: C (3 episodes)
Well, the problem *beep beep-beep beeeeep. Beep bee-beep (beep!) beeeep-beep-beep; beep beep beepbeepbeep*. Furthermore, I don't swing that way.

Myself; Yourself: C (2 episodes)
It's a generic hentai game based anime that never pretended to be anything else.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro: C- (5 epsiodes)
Wasted potential, I think. They could have made something out of the dynamics of the to main characters. Instead, case of the week with every episode looking exactly like the last. Not even the criminals' motives were convincing (this might not even be possible to pull in 25 minutes).

Juushin Enbu: Hero Tales: C- (one episode)
Well, it's some powering up, fighting, shounen thing.

Clannad: C- (one episode)
It met my expectations.

Category D: No. Just no.
If you want me to continue watching this stuff: sure. 50 €/h after taxes and a solid pension scheme, and we talk. It's easier to destroy than to build up, and it's also more fun. And this fun starts here. If you take your anime too seriously and your favorite one hasn't been mentioned yet, better don't click.

Shakugan no Shana II: D+ (7 epsiodes)
Hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned. Who is this stupid girl that looks like Shana and what has she done to her? Will Margery ever do anything than lying around? Who took Yuji's brain? Worst sequel since Matrix II and III. I'm going to pretend this never existed.

Dragonaut: The Resonance: D (5 episodes)
A well-rounded plot, that carries a lot a weight. No wait, that were the boobs. There is actually no plot at all. Dragonaut is the anti-YUA. It at least seems to come from the 90s and reminds me of the horrors of that era. On the other hand one could also say that it is Gonzo at its most Gonzoness. Two of Gonzo's problems are characters that are supposed to be cool but are only involuntarily funny, and a storyline that appears to be continuous but is, in retrospect, often only aimlessly meandering around. That times 10 and you have Dragonaut. Boobs, stylish stupidity, random explosions. ADV get your credit card ready, this anime will sell like crazy to the unwashed masses in the West.

ef - a tale of memories: D (7 episodes)
This anime is like cyanide under a candy layer. Of all Shaft productions the visual style may be closest to Soultaker, which I watched with glee despite its very cliched story. Here, I was also enchanted by the look at first. But that carries only so far. The story is abysmal, and all the female characters are completely unlikable even by the standards of the genre they represent. That requires some effort. Morale? Style can cover blandness but not the horrors of a bad story.

Kidou Senshi Gundam 00: D- (6 epsiodes)
Every now and then, I try another Gundam. 11 out of 10 Japanese males dreamt of being a Gundam pilot when they were kids, so there must be something about it, right? Wrong. I couldn't care about the characters. Except for those I hated. What they try to sell as global politics has about that much to do with the real thing as 10 years old kids running around in the woods with plastic guns shouting "bang-bang" have to do with real military strategy. Plus, somebody at Sunrise seems to have a remarkable reactionary worldview.

Koharu Biyori: D- (one epsiode, raw)
Plotless, ecchi fanservice of the most uncharming kind (as opposed to Ninomiya-kun).

For completeness: what remains?

Category X: Yet unwatched.

Stranger Mukoh Hadan, Appleseed Saga Ex Machina, Nasu: Suitcase no Wataridori, Soukou Kihei Votoms: Pailsen Files, Yume da Maya Kidan, Strait Jacket. Movies, OVAs that might reach our shores eventually, but who knows when. They are on my radar but I don't see the need to waste much thought on them yet. The 2004(?) Appleseed movie was so-so, and Nasu was a sports drama I actually liked (probably because of its realistic view on the professional sports scene, and the short movie format). I don't know the original Votoms.

Category F: Won't watch.

Aria The OVA: Arietta, Gekijouban Aquarion, Da Capo II, Clamp in Wonderland 2 1995-2006, Kyou Kara Maou! R, Yes! Precure 5: Kagami no Kuni no Miracle Daibouken!, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Special, Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations was dismissed unchecked as part of franchises I never liked or have grown tired of.

Duel Masters Zero, MapleStory, Yattokame Tanteidan, Pururun! Shizuku-chan Aha, Ichigo Ichie Koibana Tomobana, Ryuusei no Rockman Tribe was dismissed unchecked as kiddy stuff, or to formulate it politically more correct: as targeted at audiences I really can't identify with anymore.

If I haven't forgotten anything then that's all that the anidb has to offer for late Sep/Oct/Nov. Anime. Serious business.

Kazuma77
2007-12-30, 17:19
Title: Kaze no Stigma
Episodes Viewed: 26

Eventought Kaze no Stigma was boring in few episodes, i luv the couple Kazuma & Ayano, and how thier attraction grows, and how perverted Kazuma is :D and that he is not shy as most anime guys,boys,men,etc :p And i also like how the serie, allowed Ayano to let her personality grow and to become a bit serious and finally admits she has feelings for Kazuma... and the plot was awesome, but only from time to time it lost its charm, and doesn't affect on my grade.

Title: Zero no Tsukaima 2

Again one of the animes i started to like and drawn me into watching and wanting more and more from characters, but i didn't like on how it finished. Instead of mushy lovey dovey between Louise and Saito, we get arguing and fighting all over again ... and the story didn't finish properly as i would expected ... At least thier kissing scenes where interesting, which i do not see in every anime, and simply, again, lov perverted Saito, he was so funny:heh:

Title: Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden
Rating: B+-
Episodes Viewed: 41 (still watching)

I started to watch Naruto this year (2007) eventhought this anime is old from 2002, i have to make a comment about it. It started very promising and had some so AWESOME fights, i cannot stop watching, but when shippuuden came out, every 2-3 episode is a disaster, and even more obvious staring contest, that we all got tired in years. With that helps, from time to time, maybe even drunk, or childish anime team that works on Naruto Shippuuden, so sometimes, you just got the feeling your little brother/sister could do a better job then them. Eventough i have faith they will improve in time, so episodes of Naruto Shippuuden will be better in 2008. I seriously hope.

Episodes Viewed: 12 - by now

At first i thought it maybe, MAYBE be in the same rank as Kaze no Stigma, but i was SOO wrong, i couldn't be more wrong. This anime is just a childish game, for underaged, who loves those kind of things. I only watch those episodes, where are scenes between Ikuto&Amu, because they make a good couple, and i love Ikuto's coolest character because it reminds me on Kazuma :D . Maybe the anime will improve in 2008 so i can comment it next year, and give it a better grade then this.

Title: Kimi ga Nozomanai Eien OVA
Rating: F------ ( multiple minuses)

I have watched the whole serie, and i don't know why they are making OVA with Haruka ending, this anime is the most depressing one, i have ever seen. It made me so depressed and sad, i didn't watch any anime for 3 weeks :(

Grimkill7
2007-12-30, 17:43
Wow. I hadn't realized how much I detested the Fall 07 season until I read this thread. I started off watching a lot of the series, but I ended up dropping all but 4.

The 4 I did keep are
Myself: Yourself (13/Complete) (C-) --> Would have been an A+, but the last episodes plummeted it to a C-
Kaiji (12) (A+) --> Wonderful. Loving every minute of it.
Shakugan no Shana II (12) (C) --> Pretty bad right now, but after being spoiled about future events, I'm expecting it to get really good soon.
Candy Boy (1/Complete) (A) --> Only 8 minutes long, so no reason to drop it. That, and I loved it.

Now for what I've dropped.
Rental Magica (2) (C+) --> Male lead and 2 lead females are annoying. Would have been a promising show otherwise.
Clannad (5) (C+) --> I realize that Key and KyoAni are deities in some people's eyes, but the characters in Clannad felt way too similar to the ones in Kanon. WAY too similar.
Night Wizard (3) (D-) --> Blandness wrapped up in a nice, neat, little package. Sorry, but if you're going to swing a sword at things, they have to bleed. If they don't, I know right away the anime is mediocre.
Kodomo no Jikan (1) (A) --> Like it. I really do. Too much censorship though. Dropped it and started reading the manga instead. It's awesome.
Ef ~ A Tale of Memories (7) (C) --> The reasons listed by Slice of Life pretty much cover my feelings toward it as well.
Kimikiss: Pure Rouge (7) (A-) --> Dropped it for now. Waiting for it to finish so I can marathon through it.
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun (5) (D) --> Not really put off by the ecchiness, but it just didn't grasp my attention for long enough.
Ghost Hound (6) (C+) --> Normally, this is my kind of anime, but this one just wasn't my cup of tea for some strange reason.
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (4) (D+) --> Could have had something special here. I blame it on poor direction.
Moyashimon (2) (B+) --> Not exactly sure why I dropped this one... I may be picking it back up in the near future.
Dragonaut: The Resonance (11) (F--) --> The pinnacle of what the Fall 07 anime season has come to represent. Putting aside the ridiculous, almost clown-like fanservice that holds no true place in an anime of Dragonaut's genre, there are still a boat-load of other inadequacies to sift through. The storyline is one giant loop, consisting of Kazuki = angry, Jin = captured, and Toa = having no clue what she really wants. Thanks Gonzo, but no thanks.

serenade_beta
2007-12-30, 23:30
Listed in order of liking (top being most favorite and bottom being least)

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Episodes Viewed:12
Neuro rules all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les Miserables
Episodes Viewed: All
Lovely show; I recommend it! Not for everyone though.
I don't want to put any series at the same level as Neuro, but this was just way too good! Epic! Epic, I say!

Night Wizard
Not exactly unique, but it was fun throughout the series. Go Bell!

Bamboo Blade
Episodes Viewed: 13
Great comedy+enjoyable characters=thumbs-up

Sketchbook
Very peaceful, heartwarming, overall very nice series. Sometimes peaceful enough to induce sleep.

ef -a tale of memories-
Truly an amazing series! Interesting symbolism and nice OP! Predictable though. And Yuuko is too much of a ghost.

Shakugan no Shana II
Loved the first season so I'll give this show some slack. Slow/pointless first half, but it seems to be picking up.

Clannad
Interesting, to an extent. Every main character has a problem, go figure. Hard to put this feeling into words...

Minami-ke
Nice comedy, amusing characters.

Deltora Quest
Episodes Viewed: 51
Almost over; great adventure/shonen type show.

Rental Magica
Nice action; Recently, good episodes; Boring main characters, interesting antagonists.

Myself; Yourself
Had potential, wasted it.

Goshuusho-sama Ninomiya-kun
Amusing; Annoying older siblings, flew off course from the novel, average end.

Dragonaut
Keeps my attention, despite being -_- so far.

Sky Girls
Episodes Watched: All
Slow at times, but it ended well and was decent to watch.

Kimikiss
No emotions brought out of me; just keep on watching; nothing to hate, really.

Kodomo no Jikan
Skips parts of the manga, but still enjoyable show.

Shion no Ou
Still has my attention, though I don't know how to play Shogi...

Genshiken 2
Doesn't match the first season; personally, turned rather boring...

Shugo Chara
Brainless fun. Wait... I'm only half-way through?! *sigh*

Mokke
I just found out I'm only half-way through... Semi-boring, semi-interesting

Jyushin Enbu
Almost always boring, annoying lead, annoying characters...

Da Capo II
.................................................. ........... *snarl*

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth
Horrifically dumb

Prism Ark
Just what was going on...?

GreatTeacherKen
2008-01-03, 17:14
I'm actually watching other anime besides these, but I'll only give opinions on anime I've actually completed.

Myself; Yourself
The show had quite a bit of potential and there were some very well-done dramatic as well as comedic scenes, but it really suffered from poor pacing/time management and the main romance wasn't very convincing. Nice OP, ED, and character designs, though.

Blue Drop
I'll get the weaknesses out of the way first. There were some plot details concerning Mari that could have been expanded on, and the epilogue was a bit unfilfilling because it did not explain what happened to a very key character in the story. But other than these two weaknesses, this is a very well done romance drama. Perhaps, the best shoujo-ai romance I've seen so far. The main relationship progresses slowly and steadily but I think this works in its favor as it feels very natural. This slow progression really pays off in the show's climax which although somewhat predictable is very moving. Gorgeous animation and soundtrack as well.

Minami ke
Extremely funny and with a very strong and memorable cast of characters. There are only a total of 2 jokes that I felt dragged a bit too long, but other than that the show's humor is dead on. It also manages to portray a strong and close sisterly relationship without being sappy, which would be out of character with the way the show is set up.

bigsocce
2008-01-09, 01:25
I wish for Winter 2008 Anime Review Thread, the OP would switch to numerical rating to make it easier to compare and judge. Short and simple can be very effective. It also require a lot less time to type, thus more participation from AnimeSuki posters/users.

My rating for fall 2007:

Kaiji---------------------9.1/10
Clannad------------------9.0/10
Ef-Tales of memories-----8.7/10
Minami-ke----------------8.6/10
Shana II -----------------8.4/10
GenshikenII------------- 8.3/10
Bamboo Blade------------ 8.3/10
Myself Yourself---------- 8.2/10
Gundam 00---- ----------8.0/10
Ghost Hound-------------7.9/10

Kodomo no Jikan--------7.4/10 (dropped after 8 eps)
Shugo Chara-------------7.3/10 (dropped after 7 eps)
Dragonaut--------------- 7.0/10 (dropped after 8 eps)
Shion no Ou-------------6.9/10 (dropped after 6 eps)
Night Wizard------------6.8/10 (dropped after 3 eps)
Rental Magica-----------6.7/10 (dropped after 3 eps)