PDA

View Full Version : Anime TV!

FireChick
2007-10-11, 15:46
I didn't find a topic of this in the search engine, but if there is, then feel free to delete it. For those who have On Demand on Comcast, does anyone watch Anime TV? I do! It's hosted by Johnny Yong Bosch and I think it's cool so far! I've heard the dub voices of Tsubasa, Haruhi, and Fate/Stay Night. Those dubs are cool to me even though I only watched Tsubasa on DVD. Hehe. It's on Anime Selects and so far 9 episodes are available. I wonder if they're talk about shows like Elfen Lied or Air or Shounen Onmyouji or Cowboy Bebop or vice versa! For those who like Anime TV, talk about it here! I'm not sure if this is in the right place. If it isn't, then feel free to move it.

2H-Dragon
2007-10-11, 15:55
You sound like a sales man. Needed read twice to make sure it wasn't spam. xD We don't have that here in the Netherlands I guess. o-O

SeijiSensei
2007-10-11, 17:02
I guess not enough of us were watching Anime Selects here in the Boston area because both it and ADV's Anime Network On-Demand service mysteriously disappeared a month or so back. At first I thought it was some kind of error unique to us, but one of my daughter's friends who's also an anime fan said they're not on her cable service any more either. When I called to ask/complain it was clear the customer service person I spoke with knew nothing about either anime itself, or the anime offerings on Comcast On-Demand. Considering that Comcast itself programs the Anime Select channel, that can't be good.

On the other hand, Anime Selects showed the same menu of programs about five or six times over, and the few times it did show new material it was something like Ikkitousen which we had no interest in watching. ADV used to show entire series from start to finish, but then they limited the service to only a couple of episodes from newly-released DVDs. I got my first real introduction to anime series watching Anime Network, but that same opportunity won't be available to newcomers it appears.

Thank $DEITY for fansubs.

Vexx
2007-10-12, 02:35
As is said sometimes, see my .sig.

cyth
2007-10-12, 16:19
<_________<;

How about you guys calm yourselves down. Anime TV (http://goanimetv.com) is originally a web-streaming anime talk show and is in no way affiliated with ADV. It's sponsored by the Navarre Corporation which is a parent company of FUNimation Ltd.
The show has a regular cast of an 'otaku' group led by Johnny Yong Bosch. In their episodes they focus on giving personal opinions and presenting different views regarding a selected anime title. Sometimes they also bring in guests to talk to, but they also have smaller episode segments, like Top 5 <insert genre> Anime or 'the crazy otaku from Japan' etc. Eh, just watch one of their episodes. It'll take you less time to watch one episode than the time it took me to write this post. I think the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu episode is the second one.

I can see the show being quite entertaining for inexperienced fans. The show tries to establish different archetypes for their cast, like the weeaboo girl, the mecha fan, the story-depth fan etc. Johnny is there just to attract more viewers, it seems. Generally the show gives valid suggestions of what's good, but they focus solely on what's available Stateside. That's to be expected, of course. Their Top 5 charts are somewhat biased to mainstream tastes and the titles they handle usually receive a very bland numeric grade from which you can't really tell whether the show is anything special.

After the first five or six episodes I kind of had enough of it. I was in a phase where I wanted to know more about the mainstream American crowds, since I'm interested in all aspects of the international anime fandom. Also, their final grade for Trinity Blood didn't make any sense, since everybody was saying how bad it was, yet in the end it received somewhat of a high grade. Then I figured out it was a FUNimation title. In their solicitation posted on ANN they said they would operate independently from Navarre Corp, but after getting a good taste of it I don't think so. I believe most of their titles were from FUNimation.
Some other personal irks: They talked about English dub actors--there was barely any mention of the Japanese language--so the whole Japanese aspect of anime was left out of the equation. What's more, they tried to present anime fans and anime in general as something that's 'cool'. Obviously that's just marketing, but I'm not a fan of such approaches. The cast tried to be all cheerful and funky, and in conjunction with their 'crazy otaku from Japan' segment it felt like the show didn't pay any tribute to the hardcore fandom. I personally feel insulted by such undertones, since I am one of those crazy fans that go out of their way.

So why did I even bother typing all this up? Because not every topic about the American anime industry on this forum concerns issues regarding anime piracy. That pisses me off more than any biased show for low-level otaku. :p

SeijiSensei
2007-10-12, 16:40
How about you guys calm yourselves down.

I don't who you're including in that "you guys" comment, Toua, but I don't see how anything I wrote had anything with Anime TV or piracy. The OP wrote about a show appearing on Comcast's On-Demand Anime Selects channel; I responded that I was unhappy that Anime Selects was taken off my cable service here in Boston. I mentioned ADV's on-demand service, but only to say I was sad that (1) it had also been removed; and (2), it wasn't as good as it used to be. These two on-demand services were the only sources for decent, somewhat not-mainstream anime available to us and now they're gone.

I don't really care at all about Anime TV, no matter who produces it. I am unhappy that one of the few remaining sources of televised anime has been removed from my cable service. For those of us who'd like to see the anime audience expand, this isn't good news.

I suggest that the only person in this thread so far who needs to calm down is you.

cyth
2007-10-12, 16:54
I suggest that the only person in this thread so far who needs to calm down is you.Eh, maybe you're right. I just read Vexx' sig and freaked out. :p My point from the last paragraph stands though.

Vexx
2007-10-12, 18:20
I'd like to have a longer sig that explains that if they provided an equivalent method of viewing broadcast series prior to selling the DVDs --- I'd be happy as mud.
So far that doesn't appear to have entered their mind. Since most of what I like isn't the "top five" bluster and thunder anime ... I would like some reasonably economical way of getting the same service that japanese fans get prior to buying all the stuff (i.e. broadcast==fansubs for me). I just don't plan on spending several hundred dollars on a series that I've not been able to watch the broadcast version of.

Anime TV is one step in the solution of that problem (though its on cable....) however, it is not offered in many/most markets. Adult Swim also fails to address anything but a small subset of whats available. et cetera blah blah blah. Its a problem with several solutions that are being obstinately ignored.

Chiibi
2007-10-12, 23:49
I watch Anime TV, am not an inexperienced anime fan in any way shape or form (try ten years!) and I was entertained. It's dorky but cool...if that makes any sense.:heh:

But their "top five anime of so-and-so" genre needs work. A lot of times I found myself saying "WHAT!?" at the titles listed.:eyebrow:

Some other personal irks: They talked about English dub actors--there was barely any mention of the Japanese language--so the whole Japanese aspect of anime was left out of the equation

Okay, THAT'S not true. They always talk about whether or not the dub is on par with the Japanese audio and will tell you if it is or isn't. These are not just a bunch of n00bs who only watch dubs-it's quite obvious they give both tracks a chance.

DarkCntry
2007-10-14, 23:01
My issue with Anime TV, it's an ego stroke gone horribly wrong. Half of the 'reviewers' don't review other than play off bandwagon popularity. For example, watch the episode to which they review Haruhi and then if you can sit back and say with a straight face that you can stomach watching these people, then I've got to have whatever it is you're on.

cyth
2007-10-15, 18:19
Okay, THAT'S not true. They always talk about whether or not the dub is on par with the Japanese audio and will tell you if it is or isn't. These are not just a bunch of n00bs who only watch dubs-it's quite obvious they give both tracks a chance.They did mention original dubbing a few times but never made an effort to take it a step further. It also didn't help to have English voices in all of the featured trailers. Anime TV just had to pick the larger target audience; there is no conspiracy nor compromises there. It's a topic where we'll just have to agree to disagree. (I hate ending up on such a conclusion. ^^; )

@DarkCntry: I could stomach the people but not the execution. I just took them as actors and never looked back.

Chiibi
2007-10-15, 19:03
For example, watch the episode to which they review Haruhi and then if you can sit back and say with a straight face that you can stomach watching these people, then I've got to have whatever it is you're on.

Yes. Yes I can. They are a bunch of anime geeks and those are the type I can identify with. And I'm not on anything. Drugs are bad!:nono:

DarkCntry
2007-10-16, 12:03
Yes. Yes I can. They are a bunch of anime geeks and those are the type I can identify with. And I'm not on anything. Drugs are bad!:nono:

By anime geeks you mean people who don't even fathom the idea to branch out and look at the more niche examples of anime and only talk about the already talked-to-death examples?

Seishi
2007-10-16, 15:15
I definitely support JYB! I've never heard this Anime TV, but now I'm interested...

siya
2007-10-19, 12:09
I hadn't realized Comcast had anime TV....They didn't when I lived in the area when I had it...then I moved to Anderson, IN, where they have Insight...who became Comcasts bitch when they sold them selves to them XD....But yea....