PDA

View Full Version : Anime better than the manga? Has it ever happened?

Deathwing
2007-10-25, 00:10
this is just a basic question, most people admit that the manga is always better than the anime, have you ever had an experience where it's the other way around and if so mention the anime and mention why.

Terrestrial Dream
2007-10-25, 00:25
Mai-Hime- the anime was great and the manga sucked. The manga had freaking harem in it, which I did not like at all and some of the story element felt really random. I don't even know why I read the damn thing, I still don't get how one version is a crap while is actually good.

Vexx
2007-10-25, 00:27
I've had an instance or two where I thought the anime was "better" than the manga, or at least I liked the way something was portrayed better.

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase: I actually liked the anime a bit better. The manga is very good but much darker than the anime which managed to really integrate whimsy with tragedy.

Karin: I like most of the stories better in the manga... but the sidestory of Karin's girl friend and her part was more enjoyable in the anime.

Lovely*Complex: the manga is very good BUT I miss the sound of kansai-ben love growls that the anime was able to portray :) -- (I'm reading the english version and they don't seem to be really trying to deal with the dialect much).

Mahoraba: Heartful Days was mixed -- some things the anime did better and some the manga did better.

Out of the blue, I really loved the anime-only story of Sayo the ghost in the first Negima series (ep 19) ... the manga version was shallower (even the mangaka liked the anime version better).

I can probably think of a few others but thats enough for now.

Sometimes comedy timing works better in animation than in 4-koma or comic panels.

Xellos-_^
2007-10-25, 00:29
When the Anime is base on the Manga the manga is usually the better product however when it is the other way around and you have a manga base on a anime then it almost always fails.

I think the mai-hime anime came out before the manga but it more or less ran concurrently. so neither was base on the other and was more of 2 seperate storyline running at the same time.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-10-25, 00:30
Code Geass and G Gundam for starters.

Kamui4356
2007-10-25, 00:42
Nadesico. The anime was great, but the manga decended into some crap about mysticism and parallel universes, where it turns out the Jovians are being led by the parallel version of the main character...

DragoonKain3
2007-10-25, 00:50
It depends which is the original source. Usually, the original source is better, though in the case of anime being the original source is rare.. Example, Escaflowne, FLCL, Rahxephon and so on

While a lot won't agree, I loved Boys Be anime moreso than the manga. Sure the story AFAIK isn't ever told in the manga, but seeing the couples grow throughout the season was more interesting than the one-shot stories of the manga.

And of course, can't forget GTO. IMO, the actiony scenes and the humour is just more suited to it being animated rather than manga form.

Angelic Layer and Kekkaishi, for the same reasons. Being focused on action, it's just soo much better animated.

But not all action manga actually gets better with being an anime. A lot of them tend to drag on, and in that case manga is better since it tends to be more concise. A 30 min episode can sometimes be read in 5 mins. in the manga, which just shows how bad some of these shows can get *cough*Naruto*DBZ*cough*

But the vast majority of other adaptations? Manga is better, solely on the fact because of the reason I already stated above (original one is usually better), and also the fact that anime is subject to a budget, while manga much less so. As such, anime in general suffers in quality, and thus the reason why most people prefer the manga.

Oppius
2007-10-25, 00:56
The Law of Ueki anime has better artwork than the manga one.I'm not joking.

jedinat
2007-10-25, 01:21
The Full Moon wo Sagashite (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=21) anime was much better than the manga imho. It helped that since it was based on her becoming a singer that there was actually music to listen to; rather than looking at her sing on the page, which can be rather lame. But other than that there were some significant changes in the anime version that I preferred. The most notable being the ending, which I enjoyed immensely more in the anime. (the manga was a lot darker... she has more psychological issues, her manager sleeps with the boss, etc.. Some may think darker is better, but I preferred the tone of the anime)

Some other anime I preferred over their manga counterparts:
Aria - because the anime could hold my attention where the manga couldn't. it just didn't have the same great music and atmosphere (obviously)
xxxHolic - I can't say specifically why, maybe Watanuki's seiyuu. I just really liked the anime while quickly boring of the manga
Ghost Hunt - didn't care for the manga's art
Kare Kano - the manga ended up boring me... too many bubbles on a single page. i don't care about high school girls' conversations, i want to know what happens next
Trigun - ugh... the manga sucked compared to the anime. in every way.
Video Girl AI - because the anime knew where to stop. the manga became horrible immediately after the point in which the anime ends

wontaek
2007-10-25, 01:25
The best example for this would be Koi Kaze. The manga was weak with Koshiro acting like a bratty brother who was afraid of being teased by his sister, yet the anime, with good voice acting, pace control, and music turned the 1st chapter into something magical. Unlike most of examples above, Koi Kaze manga exists much before the anime series started, and the anime series had profound effect on how the mangaka decided to write the 5th and last book of the manga series, making it much more serious compared to the first 2 book of the series. Another interesting contrast to most other examples is that the anime series was more darker and serious compared to the manga from the beginning.

NoSanninWa
2007-10-25, 01:29
Mai-Hime- the anime was great and the manga sucked. The manga had freaking harem in it, which I did not like at all and some of the story element felt really random. I don't even know why I read the damn thing, I still don't get how one version is a crap while is actually good.Mai-HiME manga was created after the TV show began. Hence the anime was the original source. The two stories aren't even all that similar. :heh:

Code Geass and G Gundam for starters.Both Code Geass manga and G Gundam manga were also written after the show. The anime came first.

Nadesico. The anime was great, but the manga decended into some crap about mysticism and parallel universes, where it turns out the Jovians are being led by the parallel version of the main character...Y'know which came first? Yep, the Nadesico manga was written after the TV show had already aired. Notice a pattern here?

When the Anime is base on the Manga the manga is usually the better product however when it is the other way around and you have a manga base on a anime then it almost always fails.That's exactly the case. Generally the original source is better while the derivative work has a weaker creative team. That makes sense when you consider that a derivative work wouldn't even have been created if the original's creator hadn't done a great job. The secondary creation is just trying to survive with weak writers by riding the coat-tails of a superior artists.

Actually Mai-HiME is a little bit different from the others, but I don't really want to get into that. Let's just say that the anime's writers were in the dominant position and leave it at that.

ronaldhw
2007-10-25, 01:36
School Rumble, the anime is a lot better than the manga

Kaioshin Sama
2007-10-25, 01:43
Mai-HiME manga was created after the TV show began. Hence the anime was the original source. The two stories aren't even all that similar. :heh:

Both Code Geass manga and G Gundam manga were also written after the show. The anime came first.

Y'know which came first? Yep, the Nadesico manga was written after the TV show had already aired. Notice a pattern here?

That's exactly the case. Generally the original source is better while the derivative work has a weaker creative team. That makes sense when you consider that a derivative work wouldn't even have been created if the original's creator hadn't done a great job. The secondary creation is just trying to survive with weak writers by riding the coat-tails of a superior artists.

Actually Mai-HiME is a little bit different from the others, but I don't really want to get into that. Let's just say that the anime's writers were in the dominant position and leave it at that.

The thread never specified it had to be strictly anime that were derived from manga.:cool:

NoSanninWa
2007-10-25, 01:45
It certainly didn't. I was just making the pattern clear since that information wasn't in the posts to which I was responding.

Risaa
2007-10-25, 02:47
Angelic Layer, most definitely. CLAMP themselves even said they wanted the anime to be a little more mature than the manga (I say that as I think of meowing Icchan in a tree :heh: ).

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~, I favor the anime over the manga especially because of the ending.

And finally one that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan. Frankly, the manga had too much loli-fanservice for my taste, and I felt that the style of it was too "busy", whereas the anime was easier to follow.

Westlo
2007-10-25, 02:50
Some "experts" need to learn to read in between the lines.... anyway Planetes is the clear answer here.

Gaiarth
2007-10-25, 06:28
For me, the anime versions of Nana and Nodame Cantabile are 'better' than the manga purely because they can actually include the music. It is one thing to read that an orchestra is playing a beutiful version of a Mozart symphony (or whatever) and quite another to actually be able to hear it.

In most cases though, where it is purely a question of story, a great many anime adaptations fall short of the original manga they are based upon.

Hikari no Clover
2007-10-25, 07:00
Chrono Crusade:kisskiss:

honey and clover

DragoonKain3
2007-10-25, 07:06
And speaking of fanservice, I think I'll add Kenichi to the mix as well. Not only does it fall on action (and MUCH better paced than most other shounen shows), but it had less fanservice than the manga. Everyone who's seen the anime will think that it already has a lot... well, the anime has nothing on the manga. XD

Glad to know too I'm not alone in Angelic Layer. My friends think I'm just biased with my moe; they think just because I like the anime end better, they can dismiss the rest of my points based on that. :heh:

Tri-ring
2007-10-25, 07:55
I can think of one, "Onegai Twins"

panzerfan
2007-10-25, 13:05
Suzumiya Haruhi the series. The manga renditions have been lackluster.

Terrestrial Dream
2007-10-25, 14:18
Chrono Crusade:kisskiss:

honey and clover I am sorry, but I think either you are joking or confused Because Chrno Crusade anime is nothing compare to the manga. The manga's ending was so much beautiful compare to the ending they had in the anime.
@NoSanninWa-I knew that the manga was base on the anime, and I do know that lot of manga base on anime are bad. My guess is that it's harder to create work that is not your own idea and so lot of adaptations become crap as a result.

Diodati
2007-10-25, 21:19
For anime based on an existing manga, then not many no.

Rozen Maiden? That's a gothic visual thing to me though - and because of the animated Suigintou being so memorable.

I think some comedies can feel as good as the manga or a little more enjoyable (comedy that is conveyed easier through speech/animation than wording/sequence of images). But there is personal taste in it. I guess I 'prefer' the anime versions of School Rumble, Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh and Lupin III. I would probably 'get' Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei a little more in its anime form than in the (pretty untranslatable) manga. But I don't think the anime are clearly 'better'.

And of course, can't forget GTO. IMO, the actiony scenes and the humour is just more suited to it being animated rather than manga form.
GTO is yes/no for me because there were episodes which improved on the equivalent 'arcs' of the manga (the Ishigaki Island ones) but there were others where the manga elaborated on aspects/characters better. The manga was also a little more liberal with its explicitness which is neither a pro or con I guess. It's a shame the anime never adapted the later manga stories.

foreverdissevered
2007-10-26, 00:21
All the comedy animes and.... Elfen Lied/Death Note/Code Geass

serenade_beta
2007-10-26, 01:04
For me, Marchen Awakens Romance.

I definitely think that.

RavenHawk
2007-10-26, 05:10
Cromartie High School

Well the manga is okay, but it just didn't have that "laughtrip" factor I expected from it, well maybe it's because I would like to see stupidity done in motion than in still drawings.

David L
2007-10-26, 13:52
this is just a basic question, most people admit that the manga is always better than the anime, have you ever had an experience where it's the other way around and if so mention the anime and mention why.

There are numerous examples where poor to adequate manga series came SECOND, after an anime series, and were only so-so at best. Or even if good, were not better. Tenchi, Vampire Miyu, etc. Evangelion manga is well done but not better than the series. Etc. If you mean "where the manga came first," then yeah, there are.

- Hellsing.
The manga is juvenile. It has a raw energy and the art is decent, but but basically it's an excuse to "talk shit" and show off. Characters are poorly developed. The first Hellsing TV series is atmospheric, with great music and good visual effects, actually turns Victoria's origin into a bit of sacrifice instead of a silly joke. Its plot breaks down badly later on, but it's head and shoulders as a "classic show" aimed above the 14-year-old audience and above Hellsing Ultimate).

- Elfin Lied
The manga is well done, but the anime captures the ultra-violence and cuteness better. And, once again, the music adds a whole new dimension: the sound track is just fantastic.

-Video Girl Ai
The anime's music and presentation adds an extra level to the series. While it's unfinished, the fact is that Video Girl Ai manga ended up being written more by fan polls than by anything else as it went on. The anime at least comes to a conclusion.

-Claymore
The plot is not quite as good... but the art is vastly better, elevating the show into something truly excellent.

-Genocyber Volume 1
If you thought the anime was bad, take a look at the utterly confused mess that was the manga...

- AD Police
The manga is interesting, but it's raw, unfinished, jokey. The OAV series polishes it.

etc.

Westlo
2007-10-26, 16:23
There are numerous examples where poor to adequate manga series came SECOND, after an anime series, and were only so-so at best. Or even if good, were not better. Tenchi, Vampire Miyu, etc. Evangelion manga is well done but not better than the series. Etc. If you mean "where the manga came first," then yeah, there are.

Well 95% of the source material for anything is better, whether it's manga/novel/light novel, visual novel, game etc into anime or anime into manga.

-Claymore
The plot is not quite as good... but the art is vastly better, elevating the show into something truly excellent.

You're kidding me or you haven't read past volume 1 of the manga... I could understand if the Madhouse A team did Claymore.. but they didn't...

wontaek
2007-10-27, 02:54
I ask you to see the episode 1 of Koi Kaze anime and then read the first chapter of Koi Kaze manga. Even though all the major points are the same, the feeling I get from them are worlds apart.

NoSanninWa
2007-10-27, 03:34
I ask you to see the episode 1 of Koi Kaze anime and then read the first chapter of Koi Kaze manga. Even though all the major points are the same, the feeling I get from them are worlds apart.
Please elaborate. Different in what way? Which was better?

cyth
2007-10-27, 04:03
Am I the only one who thinks manga and anime cannot be compared in fair play? <_<; I mean, everyone has his/her own scale of awesomeness, but to compare 95% I gave to Genshiken manga and 90% I gave to the Genshiken S1 anime is a bit like comparing oranges and apples. Or are you trying to compare titles of two different media only in terms of story depth and complexity?

Pell14
2007-10-27, 04:27
-Claymore

:twitch: did you even read the manga?
the anime plot was better than the manga plot?! :twitch:

hchuang
2007-10-27, 05:26
Kannaduki no Miko... the manga is not very coherent at all. I don't think anybody would disagree that the anime is superior in everyway to the manga. Anime made the right choice to take all the various plot element and rehash them into a complete coherent story.

wontaek
2007-10-27, 07:58
Please elaborate. Different in what way? Which was better?

As I have written before, the emotions revealed and connections made by the two characters were much deeper in the anime, and Koushiro was being more sincere in his attitudes as well. While the manga gave a light hearted tone that Nanoka was more excited and cheered up by the discovery in the end, in anime, Nanoka's last line "*******?!" felt more like a shock and disbelief, foreboding what is to happen, giving a serious tone to the moment which was also a little bit funny. Anime gave much more consistent flow to the characters' emotional dilemma, thus I felt that anime was far superior compared to the manga.

Sassarai
2007-10-27, 09:51
Fruit Basket and Elfen Lied

Blaat
2007-10-27, 09:55
^Fruit Basket, how? The anime only adapted 8 volumes out of 23 :heh:

Sassarai
2007-10-27, 09:59
^Fruit Basket, how? The anime only adapted 8 volumes out of 23 :heh:

Because the rest of the stuff wasnt really that good just like Elfen lied.

Eclipze
2007-10-27, 10:53
Eureka seveN.

Again, anime came first, manga later.

Blaat
2007-10-27, 10:56
Because the rest of the stuff wasnt really that good just like Elfen lied.Heh besides the entire school president stuff (which can be skipped) I would disagree and the ending is a lot better as well. :p

Nightbat®
2007-10-27, 11:54
:twitch: did you even read the manga?
the anime plot was better than the manga plot?! :twitch:

aside from the plot (only up to manga #10) certain eps were horribly animated,
lousy pacing and not to mention bad choices in BGM

Westlo
2007-10-27, 12:50
Can we stop with people listing manga that came after the anime? Because it's pretty damn obvious when people talk about how "most of the time the anime isn't as good as the manga", it's in reference to anime shows that are based on a manga.

Seishi
2007-10-27, 13:27
Chrono Crusade would be the easy answer for me. It's an example of Gonzo doing it right (for once), even if they changed half the entire script.

Kyomi
2007-10-27, 18:21
*Raise hand* Actually something hit me. Seems people prefer Nodame Cantabile manga to it's anime counterpart, though I didn't read the thing I can only imagine having a hard time going on with a story about "music" in a manga so can you really make the call so quickly?

Sassarai
2007-10-27, 18:41
Heh besides the entire school president stuff (which can be skipped) I would disagree and the ending is a lot better as well. :p

Doesn't it suck when ppl have a different opinion? :eyebrow:
I thought they moved into romance theme too much.

the horse girl's story + toru + kyo mouse guy + that weird girl. I prefer fb the anime the way it is plus I thought the ending was good just that ppl cant deal with open endings but I like it!

wontaek
2007-10-27, 19:43
Doesn't it suck when ppl have a different opinion? :eyebrow:
I thought they moved into romance theme too much.

the horse girl's story + toru + kyo mouse guy + that weird girl. I prefer fb the anime the way it is plus I thought the ending was good just that ppl cant deal with open endings but I like it!

It is interesting how people started to not like Fruits Basket series when things got more serious and introspective.

Leon_Lelouch
2007-10-27, 22:20
Code Geass' anime is better than the manga....
And Gundam Seed's anime is better than the manga too......

The Bloodlust Kid
2007-10-28, 05:05
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's anime had a slight advantage over the manga. Probably because the voice cast really fits the characters in question and the music amplifies the atmosphere of the series.

jouttex
2007-10-29, 05:48
Yeah, most of the manga that is based on anime have worse quality.... >_< I wouldn't bother listing them up~

School Rumble has much better art in the anime, and deliver the puns much better compared to the manga. But the manga is not too bad too~ for my Eri fix~ xD

Ouran Koukou Host Club, the art is a bit messed up too... Tamaki is much hotter on screen.

christinemarie
2007-10-29, 08:34
Seto No Hanayome
- totally extremely hilarious compared to the manga version
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- precise picked parts and emphasized greatly per episode. (Though for some anime lovers that can't understand RAW version still in despair with just 8 episodes currently fansubbed).

Zu Ra
2007-10-29, 09:33
Rarely does it happen but yeah it does at times.

I prefer OHC Anime to Manga for my own personal reasons the anime is Tamaki centered whilst the manga is slightly twins centered. So being a fan of Tamaki I prefer the anime to the manga. Another show which the anime is better than the manga is GTO . GTO manga has many rough edges which are polished in the anime , The perviness is toned down

This is not an anime show but Live Action but I found Hanazakari no Kimitachi e has a wider appeal . Why I say it well the manga is shojo and for me to simply love speaks volumes about the production team . The transition from a shojo to a show, which caters to all taste, is exceptional

The Chaos
2007-10-29, 11:06
I think it Ouran Host Club the manga is good but the anime is much batter
in the manga is not funny much like the anime and the pics i can't see me laugh so much
there is also
Fruits Basket
Code Geass
Gundam all the series anime are batter then manga

siya
2007-10-31, 10:46
Well, I don't think the Manga is always better then the Anime..Norally it is though xD...To me, the manga of Death Note started off a bit boring....It got better of course...but yea, Most of the Manga are better then the anime

Kyuusai
2007-11-01, 01:17
They've been mentioned here briefly, but I'll mention them again, since they are two of my favorite series...

- Trigun: While the manga is stylish, funny, and action-packed, it's also often a jumbled, hard-to-read mess that leaves character exposition and development second-fiddle to nigh-uninterpretable action scenes. The anime suffers from none of these problems, and really lets the characters shine in meaningful, often touching, ways in between beautiful action sequences. The anime goes in drastically different directions (in terms of events, not than character development, which is similar but better portrayed in the anime), but it was planned with the mangaka's involvement, so I can't object much at all. I read the manga, but it's nothing THAT special. The anime, on the other hand, is one of my favorite series.

The only exceptions to the anime's superiority are that a couple of otherwise very good episodes (episodes 10 & 11) ruin a surprise about a character by showing off a secret about him that ruins the later awe-inspiring reveal, and episode 18, which corresponds to Trigun Maximum #1, where not only is the surprise about the character featured in the episode spoiled at his first appearance, but the villain is changed to a generic bad guy that contributes nothing to the plot (I found that volume of the manga superior in many other minor ways, as well). When recommending the series, I always recommend that the viewer save the episodes 10 and 11 for after episode 18, and read Trigun Maximum #1 before (or instead of) watching episode 18.

- Rozen Maiden: Occasionally when contemplating the anime series, I'll wonder what went wrong. At some points, especially in the first cour, it seemed like some one re-wrote the series to be an episodic kid's show. The manga, while it doesn't share the anime's occasional forays into painful-to-watch children's show cliches, is far less coherent and is structured poorly. The anime improves on this tremendously. One of the show's greater downfalls is that it adjusts events to have a single dramatic plot to climax and close in each cour. While it makes some serious sacrifices to do so, I think overall it was for the better, because it no longer suffers from the rambling and awkward (not to mention drama-killing) plot presentation the manga had.

Rozen Maiden is also a show that benefits greatly from the clean lines, vivid colors, and smooth motion of the art and the life of the voice acting. Through that, the characters seem to come to life instead of simply being cute or interesting artwork.

The Rozen Maiden manga is interesting, but the Rozen Maiden anime is compelling.

Conri
2007-11-01, 02:42
Whenever this question is asked, the series that pops into my head is Utena. Admittedly, I haven't read all of the manga, but Utena without the craziness, darkness, missing certain characters and certain relationships is missing most of the things I loved.

Not much else really springs to mind...except for cases where the anime and manga are almost equally good, and I watched the anime first (One Piece). Although, my opinion may change after I finish reading the arcs I've only watched thus far.

Off topic, but an odd one and the exact opposite of this thread's subject, is the simultaneous Mai-Otome anime and manga...in my experience, the anime tends to be better in simultaneous or manga-based-on-anime releases, but in this case, I found the manga more engaging and intriguing, overall.

NoSanninWa
2007-11-01, 02:46
Whenever this question is asked, the series that pops into my head is Utena. Admittedly, I haven't read all of the manga, but Utena without the craziness, darkness, missing certain characters and certain relationships is missing most of the things I loved.
Yet another manga that was written after the anime. ^_^

Kagerou
2007-11-01, 03:57
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's version of Neon Genesis Evangelion blows compared to the series/movies.

minhtam1638
2007-11-01, 05:36
Generally speaking, the ORIGINAL is always the best. Hence, you should research anime titles to find out which is the original version, and read it.

User65554
2007-11-01, 15:38
The original will usually be the best, as that is the way that it was originally meant to appear. It will have to be adapted to make the action move around on a screen, or to make it static on a peice of paper. Usually the action will not have been written with an adaption to anime/manga in mind, so something may be lost in the transition. There are some exceptions, but generally the original is better than the adaptation as it is, well, the original, how it was first intended to appear.

LionsMane
2007-11-01, 16:17
I enjoyed the Mai HiME anime to the manga. Figures, the manga was derived from the anime.

I also prefer the FLCL anime to it's manga counterpart.

cicido
2007-11-01, 17:35
I enjoyed the Mai HiME anime to the manga. Figures, the manga was derived from the anime.

I also prefer the FLCL anime to it's manga counterpart.

Those are both original animes.

Most of the manga adapted from a light novel/visulal novel aren't as good as the anime. The most important part about a manga is the creativity, plot and how the author understands the story. Thus if the manga isn't original it will mostly turn out bad.

7thMethuselah
2007-11-01, 18:02
In most cases the manga is far better for the simple reason the story is more evolved and characters have more depth. The art however cna be a serious drawback, especially since for some mange and anime the art style differs alot. to give some examples where I liked anime over mange would be FMP and AM Goddess (where i never did like the art style that much)

Js2756
2007-11-03, 17:04
Kinda surprised that nobody said it yet, but I preferred Azumanga Daioh anime over manga. I don't know why, but the delivery in the show just seemed a lot smoother and funnier.

serenade_beta
2007-11-04, 04:40
Kinda surprised that nobody said it yet, but I preferred Azumanga Daioh anime over manga. I don't know why, but the delivery in the show just seemed a lot smoother and funnier.

Probably because there is sound and the manga is 4-koma.

Ichihara Asako
2007-11-04, 06:37
I'm a big CLAMP fan, both manga and anime, but I much, much preferred the anime version of Chobits, while for most of the other series, I've found them about equal (haven't read Angelic Layer's manga, though) both with their pros and cons.

Chobits however, was just... better, animated. I can't place exactly why, I just found the anime a lot more enjoyable, the manga was a tad on the boring side.

I am biased though as a *whole* I prefer anime, because of voices, colour and very importantly in my view, music. But sometimes the story is let down a little, things in the original aren't carried over etc... but that's why I read the manga AND watch the anime, and enjoy both. ^_^

GoldAlchemist
2007-11-05, 11:51
I've a recent example: Minami-ke.

While i like the manga, the anime has its edge against its source. 4-koma and short story slice-of-life kinda manga, of which Minami-ke is one, usually turn out to be better in anime, imo, because in anime, they're adding a very important dimension, namely sound and voice. I like the voice leads in the show. They bring life to those characters. The music and background sound that they choose is superb, corresponding to the leisure and comedic mood. The animation is nicely done too. Besides, the animators display stroke of genius when they incorporate 3D elements in it.

By the way, it's always better to read 4-koma and short story type of manga in magazine. When you're reading them in compiled volume like i do, the joke tends to wear out bit by bit after you finish half a volume. Why? Because it's meant to be consumed a small chunk every week. In anime, you won't have this problem, because it's progressing so much faster than your reading speed, so the fatigue factor is lessened considerably.

That's why i'm saying that Minami-ke anime is better than its manga.

ellifeedn
2007-11-06, 21:24
I know this isn't related to the topic of the thread but it is part of the discussion, sort of. Was there any material after the original that was good or better than the original?

Bocca
2007-11-07, 01:22
MAR was better in animated form than manga.

GoldAlchemist
2007-11-08, 08:50
I know this isn't related to the topic of the thread but it is part of the discussion, sort of. Was there any material after the original that was good or better than the original?
I think Full Metal Alchemist anime, not the movie, is better than Full Metal Alchemist manga. Even at the point where the anime diverts from the manga, i would probably still prefer the latter. However, the manga seems to drag on and on and on, and it finally wore my patience off.

NoSanninWa
2007-11-08, 15:29
Another example of an anime that exceeds the manga is Ayatsuri Sakon (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/304.html). The manga loses verve at the end, just trailing off into "filler-like" stories which lack the inspiration of the earlier chapters. As a result the anime doesn't animate those unispiring chapters. Instead the anime writers created entirely new stories which are exciting and develop the characters past the limits of the manga. Some of the very best episodes were anime original story arcs.

Oppius
2007-11-08, 22:18
Shakugan no Shana

Its anime came first because it was an anime based on a novel,not manga.

Bocca
2007-11-08, 22:35
Well, manga has more conversations, which I like.

Everytime I go from manga -> anime, it feels like a lot of the convo's missing...(whether they are story-revelant or not).

digitals05
2007-11-10, 08:36
anime and manga is ok.. both give entertainment to me

Geass
2007-11-10, 21:36
Ghost Hunt, I'd say the anime manages to make it much more atmospheric than the manga is capable of, lacking sound effects and all.

Ash Falls Town
2007-11-13, 04:45
I'm now reading Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Though the manga does have it's good points it's helped by watching the anime first. The Fillers really help expand the kaitou part. Now since I am reading them after I also get the backstory.

Basically I am trying to say that not only do both have there good points but they complement each other making both together better than just both of them.

Diaboso
2007-11-14, 12:03
A clasic case would be the death note anime, the story was all about talking and thinking and not much action so it was not really nessesary to animate people talking -allot-

so i am toltaly on the sid of manga but some people just don't like to read 0_o and thats a shame

siya
2007-11-14, 13:06
A clasic case would be the death note anime, the story was all about talking and thinking and not much action so it was not really nessesary to animate people talking -allot-

so i am toltaly on the sid of manga but some people just don't like to read 0_o and thats a shame

Well, I for one found the Manga and Anime of Death Note to be evenly matched. Though in the anime (This would be a spoiler so spoiler tag it is xD)

Mikami killed himself by stabbing himself with his pen (What a most appropriate way to die for him right? :D) As for the manga..I don't remember...

But yea..2 different ways right there...Indeed, Death Note is bassically thinking and walking, and dramtic writing..but still...If that was the case...Hikaru no Go wouldn't have been animated...I like to watch and read both Manga and anime...so I was happy

As for reading...I don't like to read novels...I only like to read Manga...I think reading is boring and I cannot force myself to read a book. Seriously, put me in a room with with only a chair in a book, no windows or anything, I will find some thing to do that will entertain me. . Come to think of (Aside from Manga..I've compelted thousands of them) I don't think I've ever completed a novel in my life...I think the furthest I got was Harry Potter and the Prisnor of Askaban...I got to page 10....:heh:

Dassasin
2007-11-19, 18:27
Usually action typed anime is better than action oriented manga

I liked the trigun manga better though

tbl
2007-11-20, 06:18
It's not just Manga/Anime, the source material is almost always better than the adaptations. I do prefer the Bleach and D.Gray-man animes better, I find the action in the manga hard to follower.

User65554
2007-11-20, 17:21
It's not just Manga/Anime, the source material is almost always better than the adaptations.

Indeed, whenever a film is made of a book nowadays large numbers of people who read the book complain that it isn't faithful, changes/removes too muchetc. etc.
And they're usually right.

jost
2007-11-21, 01:08
so sad that no one has mentioned Seto no Hanayome
it is obviously the best example for the animation of a less-known comic

also Gintama's animation is better than the comic

Aoie_Emesai
2007-11-21, 17:32
Overall i have always enjoy the manga over any anime, but are some exception like Happy Lesson where the humor of the anime surpassed the manga by like a quasar.

Catalan
2007-11-22, 22:08
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's version of Neon Genesis Evangelion blows compared to the series/movies.I've honestly liked the manga better so far. Heresy, I know. :heh:

bbduece
2007-12-25, 22:49
anyone out there know if there is a anime that is better the manga counter part?

becuase you know, everyone says manga is better than anime

if there is a thread on this already some please link it to me

ShikaShika
2007-12-26, 00:20
I would say that Hikaru no Go is slightly better than its manga counterpart, in that the ending feels more like a real ending (not taking the new year's special into account). Basically the only difference is that the anime doesn't cover all of the manga but ends with the ending of what I would call the main storyline of the manga. The manga went on to cover one smaller arc that while interesting seemed a little anticlimactic a way to end the manga. The rest of the adaptation is basically 100% the same as the manga (barring a few scenes in the first two episodes).

Sazelyt
2007-12-26, 01:03
anyone out there know if there is a anime that is better the manga counter part?I cannot represent the general view here, but I think Inuyasha's anime is better than its manga.

And I think you should check the Suggestions (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)sub-forum, to find previous responses, as I believe there must be questions of that nature...

kucigaromeo
2007-12-26, 01:25
Storywise, Black Cat anime is better than the manga. Like the development of Train from assassin to sweeper and Saya's story.

darksider
2007-12-26, 10:29
I think I have to mention Potemayo, for overall quality. The manga is still ongoing but I think I can say it is one of the best anime adaption from a rather unremarkable 4-koma.

Kikaifan
2007-12-26, 10:57
Some manga-to-anime adaptations suffer from ham-handed plot revisions, but in my opinion the real reason manga tend to be seen as better is simply that still images are superior to average animation, which isn't all that good.

However, in those cases where animation is consistently good anime has the advantage in visual appeal. Personally I don't think the addition of sound is as decisive. Music can add a lot to dramatic scenes but in my opinion it doesn't make up for poor animation. In comedy series, though, voice can be a bigger deal than animation quality.

Death Note is an example of a series where I prefer the anime just for its visual and auditory impact. Gunslinger Girl is a series where the action sequences benefited greatly from good-quality animation, though IMO the characters' faces were a lot more expressive in the manga.

Also, it's worth noting that not all plot revisions are bad. Personally I enjoyed the Black Cat anime's alternate beginning, which blended the events leading up to and resulting from the main character's defection from his organization, revealed only in flashbacks in the manga, with the initial story of the manga to create a far more dynamic introduction to the characters and plot. Though in a demonstration of the dark side of this kind of tinkering, the completely original (as opposed to blended) material of the first episode was pretty terrible.

Another change I liked was to the 'Ode to Joy' scene that concluded the first season of the Gunslinger Girl anime- in the manga it was a throwaway chapter used to introduce Angelica, but altered and used to end the season it took on a lot more meaning and was very moving. Of course, making it Angelica's death scene added a lot of that punch, but since it was well-done I don't feel like it was a case of just killing off a character for cheap drama and the scene stands on its own merits.

babybro
2007-12-26, 23:12
LOL, well I personally liked the mai hime manga over the anime, while the anime was excellent during the first arc, the second arc was horrible imo and was even worse than the manga's arc. So I guess that would be the case for me perfering the adaptation over original.

Robotnik
2007-12-27, 03:02
anyone out there know if there is a anime that is better the manga counter part?

Of course it's happened. Sometimes it depends on which is the "original work" and which is the "adaptation" (and how much material the adaptation had available to work from), but IMO the original work isn't *always* better. For one, if the original is crap, then a faithful adaptation into any other medium should be crap as well, right? For another, an anime adaptation in talented hands can smooth out the rough spots of a manga-ka's earlier, less polished work. For instance, I like the beginning of the Love Hina anime much better than the manga, especially the tweaked character introductions for Naru and Shinobu.

Anyway, the main example that comes to my mind is Steel Angel Kurumi; I've got the first few volumes of the manga, and IMO the anime is *much* better in terms of both story (such as it is) and art (Kaishaku's art improves somewhat in their later works).

Another is Big O, which was produced as an anime first, with the manga not so much an adaptation as a cross-promotion. To be fair, the manga-ka had very little material from the anime production to work with and was forced to come up with original stories as he went along (some of which were actually pretty good).

Elehayym
2007-12-27, 03:14
I cannot represent the general view here, but I think Inuyasha's anime is better than its manga.

Personally, I find this to be true of several anime adaptations of Takahashi Rumiko's manga, especially Uruseiyatsura and Maison Ikkoku. While the manga were very good anyway, still the anime versions managed to add so much to them D: Especially Maison Ikkoku with its awesome soundtrack!

Even though I don't really know what's the general opinion about this :heh:

Fynal_Fyre
2007-12-27, 08:16
For me, I basically go with:

Ouran High School Host Club
The art direction of the Anime is way better than that of the manga, IMHO, Hunny and Haruhi look worse in the Manga than onscreen.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!
The voice-overs in the Anime really fit the setting, so well, in fact, that it's the main reason I see it as better than it's manga counterpart.

dodgethis_sg
2007-12-27, 12:50
I'm always in the opinion that mangas that thrive like Hayate no Gotoku, Pani Poni Dash and Keroro Gunsou are better animated because the producers can add one element that a manga cannot offer, that of seiyuu references.

Let's take this clip from HnG

CFvceTO3scI

I am not sure if this was taken from the manga or not but I don't think the manga would have the effect the anime had by having Nobuyuki Hiyama voice this 'cyborg butler'.

Another example is the first episode of the school festival arc with the puppet master. You all know he had the power of the Geass. How many of you knew the producers went one further and had Jun Fukuyama voice him as well?

Maria dressing up as Suigintou or Negi going 'urusai! urusai! urusai!' and countless other fanservice moments make HnG way superior over the manga IMHO.

Oh yes, one more to the list. Genshiken 2. Only because the studio could have pulled off episode 5 so epicly (is there even such a word?). And yes, I do know it's not from the manga.

Keahi19
2007-12-28, 13:09
Yeah it all depends on which was first. Like Cowboy Bebop and Onegai teacher were animes first, at least I believe they were. And it just seems at times that manga can feel rushed.

That's my major problem sometimes with manga over an anime is that the anime will draw the plot out in a manga that ended in two books. The manga feels rushed and the anime has the better pace.

Onegai teacher is the best example of this. THe manga is about 2 books. And it feels like they just wanted to get it over with.

Also there are times anime can just have a better rendition. I think mostly manga are better. They have better writing and have less affiliation for the market. At least that's how it appears. But, that also means alot of manga are good. Animes kinda go the distance in being really bad, but there are some excellent ones. And those excellent animes outpace their manga.

That's my opinion anyways. Did that make sense?

wontaek
2007-12-29, 11:01
I forgot to mention that I liked anime version for the Asatte no Hokou better than the manga version

Altema
2007-12-29, 13:35
I always prefer the anime over the manga. Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy music, voices and animation too much to prefer any manga over an anime. There are some mangas that may be preferable, but if I have an a long time span, I would rather watch a series than read one. Now if time was limited, I might be more inclined to read a manga over watching an anime.

3:16
2007-12-30, 16:06
An anime that are better than the manga which corresponds to it?I'm not sure it exists...Well...there might be one...hmm..Yes!Tsubasa Chronicle.I really like the animation serie,but the manga disappointed me,i mean,really!

yupyupyup
2008-01-03, 06:06
usually it depends on whether you ead or you watch first. I thought Bleach anime was better than the manga when it's first out, but now I read the manga only. Anime that is absolutely better than the manga counterparts must be Full Metal Panic, Nodame Cantabile, School Rumble, Haruhi

Marina
2008-01-04, 06:19
I would say:

nodame cantabile - because I'm a musician and I wanted to actually see and hear the music being played

azumanga daioh - love the manga, but I like the continuity and flow of the anime better

I think I'd have more of an opinion if I was fluent in Japanese, but because I'm not I'm stuck to reading everything translated into English. I'm sure a lot of meaning is lost in translation.

6raika
2008-01-04, 11:08
Someone may kill me but I will say-Hellsing anime>>>>Hellsing manga :rolleyes:

Naja_Raja
2008-01-05, 04:53
Revolutionary Girl Utena.

That is all.

game2007
2010-02-08, 10:09
One series that come to mind is MAR Heaven. Seriously, the anime is better than the manga in almost every way, especially towards the end. Compare the ending of both versions and I dare you to tell me that manga has a better ending than the anime, because it's not.

Syntron
2010-02-08, 11:21
Mai-HiME Manga has no ShizNat.

Chiibi
2010-02-08, 11:52
Ooooh I have a whole LIST of these!!

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
The Vison of Escaflowne
Code Geass
Saber Marionette J
Princess Tutu We Tutu fans were outraged by this poor excuse for a "manga".:mad:
Petite Princess Yucie (well it's not bad but it's unfinished :()
FLCL
Air TV HORRIBLE artwork!! Absolutely atrocious
Kannazuki No Miko

Basically, any manga written AFTER the anime has aired, tends to suck hard. I found a few exceptions like Shana, Pretear, and Galaxy Angel. Disgaea's not too bad either...but the art leaves a little something to be desired.

Theowne
2010-02-08, 12:29
Most of the Ghibli films based on existing manga essentially took those original concepts and built something much more memorable and worthwhile with them. These include: Omohide Poroporo, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Whisper of the Heart. Not that the originals didn't have their own charms.

james0246
2010-02-08, 12:36
Azumanga Daioh...addmittedly, the original series was a 4-koma, which is great for jokes, but not very good for anything else. Still, I though the anime was much better with punchlines and awkward pauses than the manga ever was.

Vexx
2010-02-08, 16:45
A lot of the 4-koma strips seem better in anime productions simply because the characters are 'brought to life' rather than having to be squeezed into 4 small boxes with little movement.
Azumanga Daioh was an early example of this. Don't get me wrong, I think the original strips and the newly released and redrawn collections are great. But its just really nice seeing them onscreen.

K-On! was another example where the adaptation brought in color, movement, and music to complement the daily-life humor.

janipani
2010-02-08, 16:51
Some action and drama parts are usually better in anime version, but as a complete package manga usually is better. However anime that is made in anime from the beginning are better than usual and able beat any manga.

GreatTeacherKen
2010-02-09, 04:41
I think the Midori no Hibi anime is better than the manga. While the manga does have some funny parts that aren't in the anime, I thought it meandered after while. I thought the anime's decision to cut out everything that isn't directly related to Midori, Seiji, or Ayase was better since it led to a more focused narrative.

Eisdrache
2010-02-09, 04:45
Though I only read the german translated version of the manga, MÄR is so much better as an anime than as a manga. And [SS] has finally reached the last few episodes so all is well.

grylsyjaeger
2010-02-09, 05:56
People always seem to look at me a bit oddly but I preferred the Planetes anime to the manga. Tanabe was just so much cuter in the anime.

Chiibi
2010-02-09, 11:29
I think the Midori no Hibi anime is better than the manga. While the manga does have some funny parts that aren't in the anime, I thought it meandered after while. I thought the anime's decision to cut out everything that isn't directly related to Midori, Seiji, or Ayase was better since it led to a more focused narrative.

Oh I agree. I almost listed it but I don't know the manga's story enough to really try....yet the artwork makes me twitch rather unpleasantly...:heh:

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-10, 21:18
the series Asura Cryin was way better than the original print series. especially the ending of the anime. after i watched it was was so happy that i decided to watch the series.

kinnikumask
2010-02-11, 04:40
I liked the air gear anime more then the manga.

grylsyjaeger
2010-02-11, 05:34
the series Asura Cryin was way better than the original print series. especially the ending of the anime. after i watched it was was so happy that i decided to watch the series.

Damn I still haven't watched past the second episode of the second season. I'll get there sooner or later.

grey_moon
2010-02-11, 18:47
Rozen Maiden for me! I see on the wiki that they plan on a manga adapted from the anime :D

Xion Valkyrie
2010-02-11, 18:57
Scryed anime is leagues better than the manga.

Po99okie
2010-02-11, 19:05
Ooooh I have a whole LIST of these!!

The Vison of Escaflowne
Code Geass
Saber Marionette J
Princess Tutu We Tutu fans were outraged by this poor excuse for a "manga".:mad:
Petite Princess Yucie (well it's not bad but it's unfinished :()
FLCL
Air TV HORRIBLE artwork!! Absolutely atrocious
Kannazuki No Miko

Basically, any manga written AFTER the anime has aired, tends to suck hard. I found a few exceptions like Shana, Pretear, and Galaxy Angel. Disgaea's not too bad either...but the art leaves a little something to be desired.

I totally agree with you;)

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-11, 20:56

Code Geass

definitely also have to agree the manga of these two shows were shocking but the reason for that is because Code Geass is an Original series and Haruhi is a series of light novels originaly

Chiibi
2010-02-11, 23:14
definitely also have to agree the manga of these two shows were shocking but the reason for that is because Code Geass is an Original series and Haruhi is a series of light novels originaly

Eh.........that doesn't excuse the artwork from looking so bad. XD
Really! When people ask the orginal creators if they can draw their work as an official manga, THE CREATORS SHOULD MAKE SURE THESE PEOPLE CAN DRAW!!:upset:

Now Shana's manga art is not quite on par with Shana's anime art but it's decent at least. >_>

Galaxy Angel on the other hand......even though the anime came before the manga, I read the manga first, fell in love with it, got all hyped to see the anime, and hated it. Not because the anime was bad...but because the stories were as different as night and day......not to mention completely absent of a single male character <---pet peeve here. lol

klare
2010-02-13, 02:06
most of the time, the manga is better than anime, the special ones i know include:
- Ga-Rei Zero
- Jyu Oh Sei
- Fate Stay Night (cant understand why they do the manga...)
- Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (the manga is good too but the anime is simply classic/best of the best)

game2007
2010-02-25, 02:26
Akazukin Chaha
The anime has a plot and a serious (and somewhat dark) one to boot as well. The manga is simply a lighthearted slice-of-life with barely any plot.

sona-nyl
2010-02-25, 07:00
Keroro Gunsou

Usually I hate when the anime ceators remove all the fanservice moments (but its even worser when they add them) but in the Keroro manga the fanservice was just something I hated, the plot also became alot more eppic especially the Garuru arc in th anime.

Neat Hedgehog
2010-02-25, 07:18
s-CRY-ed.

While the anime actually had something of a plot and characters, the manga was a random mish-mash of psychos and perverts killing each other, with no more plot than is needed to get from one fight to another.

MrTerrorist
2010-02-25, 12:55
Ga-Rei Zero

Eisdrache
2010-02-25, 15:42
Since when has Ga-Rei Zero a manga equivalent?

Last Sinner
2010-02-25, 17:56
Scrapped Princess (art for the manga was shocking, Bones made this gorgeous)
Elfen Lied (from nihilism to a good story in anime form)
Chrono Crusade (even the manga-ka admits it on some levels)
Trinity Blood (so obvious)
Fullmetal Alchemist (As in the one that was made in the 00s, not the Brotherhood one. Himoru Arawaka draws worse than a fifth-grader. If it wasn't for her art I'd be buying the manga. Bones to the rescue yet again)
Genshiken 1st series (brought out key moments better, but the 2nd series was a joke compared to the manga)

Bassoonicmayhem
2010-02-27, 01:36
Scrapped Princess (art for the manga was shocking, Bones made this gorgeous)
Elfen Lied (from nihilism to a good story in anime form)
Chrono Crusade (even the manga-ka admits it on some levels)
Trinity Blood (so obvious)
Fullmetal Alchemist (As in the one that was made in the 00s, not the Brotherhood one. Himoru Arawaka draws worse than a fifth-grader. If it wasn't for her art I'd be buying the manga. Bones to the rescue yet again)
Genshiken 1st series (brought out key moments better, but the 2nd series was a joke compared to the manga)

I just need to know where you got that information because I don't agree at all and won't believe that Moriyama said that until I see proof. :heh: I'm a hardcore fan of Chrono Crusade, but was never able to get into the anime because it's so... different. But honestly, I would really like to know where you got the information. It would be much appreciated. :D

But back on topic, I'd have to say that Lucky Star was better in anime form just for the fact that the original was four panel manga strip and it was able to flow better when animated. Other than that, I can't think of any. :)

Xion Valkyrie
2010-03-04, 04:18
Angelic Layer anime is vastly better than the manga. The manga goes by so quickly, and all the developments seem forced. Like, it feels like a plot synopsis compared to the anime, with all the events but none of the emotions.

Miyuki-ism
2010-03-05, 10:02
I'm going to get killed by some people for saying this but...

Dance in the Vampire Bund. I tryed reading the manga, but I just couldn't get into it, it seemed to boring in cliche in my opinion.

But I started watching the anime and I love it. People complain about epiosde one, but I think it's cool. So far it has brought me into the plot as well and I am very interested.