PDA

View Full Version : Unfulfilling endings!

cheez rocks
2007-10-28, 00:54
Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing a trend towards anime with endings that aren't actually endings? The list of one's I've seen are: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (if you watched them in chronological order), Code-E, Venus Versus Virus, Zombie Loan, and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi to an extent. I don't just want the guy to get the girl; I want ALL of the bad guys dead/defeated, and I wanna see the resolution to the plot. Does anyone know why the anime studios are doing this? Or does anyone else want to whine?

HurricaneHige
2007-10-28, 01:52
becuz they are all following manga / light novels, and the manga / light novel isnt done yet, they cant "complete" the anime, or else the manga/LN fans will be angry :3

xris
2007-10-28, 04:11
First, it's not a trend because it's been like this for a long time. "Unfulfilled" endings are the standard.

The main reason is because anime is based on a manga and all too often the manga itself hasn't finished when the anime finishes. How can you create an ending for the anime when the source material hasn't finished itself. Now if you want to complain about the manga not finishing to your satisfaction, that's another matter but please do not "blame" the anime for this.

Don't forget that anime (in most cases) is not the source. In most cases an anime is produced because there is an existing successful manga running and they want to use the popularity to sell the anime (don't forget the reason anime is produced is to make money). The anime is more like a advert to further boost the manga's popularity, or it's a sort of "bonus" to the fans of the manga. Creating an anime series raises the awareness of the manga, increasing sales.

Therefore, the anime is hardly likely to provide an actual resolution to the original story because that would mean the fans (of the currently running manga) would have less of a reason to continue reading if they know how it's going to be resolved. When an anime series does provide an early finish (before the manga has completed), it typically hasn't been written by the manga author, it's been written by the anime production team. This in itself can be the cause of the problem because it isn't as good, which is not that surprising really. Plus, such finishes are typically an alternate version (and typically a weak version).

Eviltape
2007-10-28, 06:15
Darker than Black leaves the door wide open. And most of us are content with it because it allows for the fan's interpretation.

SeijiSensei
2007-10-28, 07:39
I would imagine that the anime producers hope they'll be asked to develop second, third, etc., seasons of a show, so having a conclusive ending isn't in their interest. That certainly seemed to be strategy Madhouse pursued with respect to Claymore.

Oppius
2007-10-28, 07:40
Most fans want Himeko ends up with Souma instead of Chikane.

Terrestrial Dream
2007-10-28, 08:36
Most fans want Himeko ends up with Souma instead of Chikane. Why would anyone not want Himeko and Chikane? I have never wanted that pretty boy Souma to end up with Himeko. As far as the ending goes to me it was good.

Honey_and_Cleaver
2007-10-28, 08:50
Why would anyone not want Himeko and Chikane? I have never wanted that pretty boy Souma to end up with Himeko. As far as the ending goes to me it was good.

I agree.Theres plenty of anime that something like that already happening. Its a waste of time. But if Souma were to pair up with Himeko, i dare to say, if thats the case, Tsubase should have pair up with Chikane.

cheez rocks
2007-10-28, 15:04
Xris' explanation makes sense, but why make a shoddy anime with a non-existent ending, when you could just wait for the manga to finish, and then have the original author make a second EQUALLY good ending? That way the manga and the anime give each other a good name so even more people want to buy both, so the companies involved make even more money. As for Eviltape's idea... Leaving an open ending isn't giving license to the fans to speculate, it's just lazy. Fans will talk about what the ending SHOULD have been like no matter what.

relentlessflame
2007-10-28, 15:50
Xris' explanation makes sense, but why make a shoddy anime with a non-existent ending, when you could just wait for the manga to finish, and then have the original author make a second EQUALLY good ending? That way the manga and the anime give each other a good name so even more people want to buy both, so the companies involved make even more money.Well, you want to strike while the iron's hot. While the manga is still running (especially if it's been running for a while), hype is at its highest. Since anime productions (based on manga) are often financed largely by the magazine publishers, they don't only want to sell more tanks (a.k.a. collected volumes/books), but also more copies of the magazine the manga runs in every week or month (because that has a trickle-down effect on their other properties). Once the ending is known and the magazine run is over, interest drops rapidly. Plus, at that point, the author probably wants to start another project anyway. For shorter-running series, you're starting to see cases where the anime release is being timed to coincide with the ending of the manga, so that you get the same ending for both. But in most cases, an inconclusive/open ending isn't enough to doom the anime (some even like the variety, so long as they consider it non-canon), and gets more people interested in picking up the magazine to see what happens next. And as was already mentioned, there's also something to be said for leaving the door open for second and third seasons. Coming up with an anime-only endings still allows the show to end on some sort of a high note, without trapping yourself in something you'd potentially have to undo later. So yeah, this isn't new, and isn't likely to change, because the present arrangement benefits all parties (except, I suppose, for the anime fans who like "finality").

xris
2007-10-28, 16:03
Xris' explanation makes sense, but why make a shoddy anime with a non-existent ending, when you could just wait for the manga to finish, and then have the original author make a second EQUALLY good ending? That way the manga and the anime give each other a good name so even more people want to buy both, so the companies involved make even more money.
No one aims to make a "shoddy" anime to start with. Plus, there are many anime which do a good job of translating the manga into an anime.

Don't forget that in many ways the purpose of the anime is to try and introduce more readers to the manga and boost the sales (of the manga and popularity of the mangaka). Typically you want to boost the sales around the half way point, not once the manga is over. Waiting until the manga is over is a good way to miss your opportunity, by then the readership has dropped off and a new anime series isn't going to attract more readers by then. Plus, the buzz the manga created at the start will be missed. It's all a matter of timing. There are exceptions to this but in general I think it's true.

As for asking (or expecting) the mangaka to create a second equally good ending, it's difficult enough to create the first good ending to begin with :)

I think most non-Japanese fans fail to remember that the manga is the source material, not the anime. If you don't like the way the anime concludes, then you have the original manga to fall back on.

HurricaneHige
2007-10-28, 16:40
Also, remember that there are more than one anime studios, if u dont pick a series up when its hot, some other studio will, and they'll profit from it.

Kyomi
2007-10-28, 16:44
So in other words, start up reading mangas or just get over it with the crappy endings. And the best medicine for that is to watch more anime.

2H-Dragon
2007-10-28, 16:48
The anime series who do follow the manga carefully and take breaks to let the manga/novel get a bigger lead are few of the best. No problem with that. Still amazes that most anime companies still make things work. Still wonder why Anime is more popular then Manga over on this side of the world.

The only anime that did make a good ending was FMA, but if you compare it to the manga it was kinda a let down.

My question is why they follow the manga at first. Find out there isn't enough material. Make up their own last few eps and still don't end everything. You end up with an ending that sucks and you can't get a good 2nd season, because they can't follow the manga properly anymore...

relentlessflame
2007-10-28, 17:09
My question is why they follow the manga at first. Find out there isn't enough material. Make up their own last few eps and still don't end everything. You end up with an ending that sucks and you can't get a good 2nd season, because they can't follow the manga properly anymore...This is purely a guess, but maybe to give an ending that's obviously not the canon ending, while still achieving the vision of the anime writers/director. That way whatever the original writer does end up writing won't be in conflict (especially to resolve loose ends) and it'll be obvious that a certain point is the "branch-off point". Often times, going into a first season, the producers have no idea whether the show will sell well enough to warrant a second season (not matter how much they'd like it to). So they want to give the show a sense of finality in case "this is all there is". Especially on shorter anime (13/26 episode shows), the ending is basically decided before they start on the first episode; it's definitely a conscious, planned decision as opposed to "crap, we need to make something up... quick!"

In general, most anime directors seem to think of their shows as independant works inspired by/based on existing works, rather than "animations of" the work. So, in general, it's probably easier to think of manga and anime as two seperate, but related things. (It's probably also worth mentioning that shows not based on manga also have their own constraints and problems to deal with in terms of endings, but that's a different story.)

Fate21
2009-07-22, 12:13
Yeah i agree, Unfulfilling endings are standard.
And sometimes it will give you some kind of inspiration :)

Vexx
2009-07-22, 12:40
aye, there's no "trend" ... its pretty much always been the case when the source material is unfinished.

And its probably already been said but the fundamental purpose of anime is to encourage you to buy the manga, CDs, DVDs, etc. If you do not intend to be in that consumer group - they aren't targeting you.

KholdStare
2009-07-22, 12:49
Yay, I'm glad no one said Elfen Lied so far.

I'm very glad.

Aside from Claymore and Gakuen Alice, I haven't really been pissed off at many unfulfilled endings.

Depending on which episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S1 you watch first, you might think that it is an unfulfilled ending. If you're watching in airing order, then you get the "mystery is solved" ending. If not, then the last scene of "Someday in the Rain" might leave you thinking but it is still a very good conclusion to the series. Also, the mood of the entire episode was trying to slow the anime down to a peaceful halt.

To a certain extent, I actually liked InuYasha's ending. The reason is because even though there is still story to be told, I was left with no questions or confusion. Pretty much everything was explained and the main conflict in the series was mostly resolved.

An interesting case is Rozen Maiden's "ending," which is not at all. Like Gakuen Alice, it leaves the feeling that there will be another season. In the case of Gakuen Alice, we know that's not coming. But I will refrain from marking Rozen Maiden as an incomplete anime until I'm almost certain there won't be a sequel. The manga is still causing a stir after all.

Reckoner
2009-07-22, 12:56
Well it is largely because of many of the monetary reasons mentioned above...

However I also think it is a cultural thing in Japan. In America, almost everything has complete closure, with hardly any open ended endings. In Japan, which I feel is even in their movies much of the time, I always felt like they preferred the open ended ending.

Of course this is based purely on my anecdotal knowledge.

People never cease to be surprised by these greedy corporations, which I do not know why... It's clear that money > art.

npcomplete
2009-07-22, 21:01
Oh man, this is anime's greatest peeve to me, which was why I created the endings that really end (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=83181) thread in the Suggestions forum.

I just finished watching Blade of the Immortal and almost wish I had never started. Aside from the somewhat lacking action scenes, I really liked the whole show, except that it concludes right when the story is really picking up with a metaphorical "to be continued", with nothing resolved. It's exactly the kind of ending you'd see for a season finale on US TV. But the problem with all these shows is that you never know if there will ever be another season! :frustrated:

In fact the US TV model of having back-to-back seasons and knowing in advance when a show will really end does the fans a much greater service than anime model of pure uncertainty. If Blade of the Immortal did not sell well, then we can forget about a another season for example. (Although I'm not sure if the licensor will also look at Media Blaster's sales when it releases here). In that case, we're left with yet another, incomplete anime show.

I realize the dilemma of using manga as source material and I don't know of any good solution.. I do wish that perhaps the producers can wait until there is enough manga material available and even cooperate with the mangaka to produce a suitable "stopping point" that's part of the manga, like an ending of an arc that resolves a portion of the story.

And then there are some shows where the source manga actually does end but the anime has not continued. One example that comes to mind is Alien Nine. There's only 4 volumes of manga in total and it could probably just take only two more OVAs to finish the darn show! :upset:

This is purely a guess, but maybe to give an ending that's obviously not the canon ending, while still achieving the vision of the anime writers/director. That way whatever the original writer does end up writing won't be in conflict (especially to resolve loose ends) and it'll be obvious that a certain point is the "branch-off point".
.. and then you have shows like Gantz. It has a non-canon ending. And it ends in a way that can never be continued.. which would be alright if they decided to fork the manga material halfway or 2/3 into the show to create a proper ending. But nope, it was as if they were told "This is it. You're not making any more, ever. And it has to end in the next episode"

Hatsukoi Limited left me frustrated in a similar fashion, although to a much lesser degree than Gantz (because at least Hatsukoi completely resolves one of the relationships).

Throne Invader
2009-07-22, 21:57
The first thing that comes to mind when "unfulfilled endings" is mentioned is Rozen Maiden.

Oppius
2009-07-22, 22:04
Gun x Sword!

Michael's and Fasalina's deaths were rushed, as a large boulder fall on them. However I quite satisfied with Clawman's death though as Van finally fulfilled his vengeance by killing him with his own hands.

Shadow Kira01
2009-07-22, 22:26
Chrome Shelled Regios (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4186/Chrome_Shelled_Regios)
Considering that the anime is actually the first few volumes of the manga, the ending of the anime is obviously not the actual ending but more of a beginning. However, that doesn't mean it will get a second season as that seems unlikely.

Devil May Cry (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1726/Devil_May_Cry)
I was hoping to see Devil Trigger yet it never occurred but the anime is still pretty good.

Ga-Rei -Zero- (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4725/Ga-Rei_-Zero-)
This seems to be the prologue of the manga as that the manga's story starts at the end of the anime series. It leaves me to wonder who the guy with the blue butterflies is as that he looks exactly like Arisato Minato of P3, especially the fact that blue butterflies appear wherever he goes. More over, the guy seems to be related to supernatural phenomenons makes it more interesting. Unfortunately, that wasn't the main focus of the anime as that the prologue focuses on the story of Isayama Yomi, former ace of the supernatural department and some twists to it.

Higashi no Eden (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5630/Higashi_no_Eden)
Considering that the anime started off like the Jason Bourne series, I really wasn't expecting it to end like Code Geass R2's rip-off. Speaking of which, even the protagonist of the new Phantom series are borrowing what Lelouch Lamperouge's quotes. So, its not just Selecao IX. However, the series will be getting quite a number of movies which will most likely end the anime more properly.

K-ON! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!)
The best series of last season came to an end without an announcement of a second season yet the finale was rather non-exciting. Luckily, there will be an additional episode to be released later. This series definitely needs a second season!!

Macross Frontier (http://myanimelist.net/anime/3572/Macross_Frontier)
The ending said nothing of what happened to Sheryl Nome has that she got an incurable disease which causes death. Will a miracle occur to her or not?

TOKKO (http://myanimelist.net/anime/916/TOKKO)
This anime lacks a second season or that the ending is questionable as that so many things left unsolved. Sakura wakes up and the world was in a state of apocalypse, yet they are going to do nothing about it or its not worth mentioning after all those long journeys? Its pitiful that this anime doesn't get a second season or a sequel movie.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo (http://myanimelist.net/anime/3614/Ryokos_Case_File)
Thanks to Oryo-san, the amakudari system has been eliminated yet there is no second season. However, the ending of the anime seems to hint of a sequel as that many things were still unresolved.

KholdStare
2009-07-22, 22:39
K-ON! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!)
The best series of last season came to an end without an announcement of a second season yet the finale was rather non-exciting. Luckily, there will be an additional episode to be released later. This series definitely needs a second season!!

There has been some confusion about this, but let me remind you that episode 12 is the true ending to the series. Episode 13 is only a bonus episode. Treat it as an OVA that got released 3 months after episode 12.

GreatTeacherKen
2009-07-23, 00:57
I think the anime version of Kare Kano is pretty much the definitive unfulfilling anime ending. All of a sudden it ends randomly in the middle of a story arc with the conflict and plot threads introduced in said arc unresolved. There isn't even a cliffhanger. I don't know how many episodes were originally planned, but the sudden ending and drop in quality was a result of creative differences between the original mangaka, Tsuda Masami, and Gainax.

The manga on the other hand does have a very conclusive ending.

White Lady
2009-07-23, 02:05
Inuyasha does that in spades!! I was so looking forward to them finally defeating Naraku.And what happens.They're still after him and shards.And all happy to be doing it together(Which I can understand)....:twitch:So not the ending I was hoping for.Makes me wonder what's going on in the manga.

-KarumA-
2009-07-23, 04:00
Inuyasha does that in spades!! I was so looking forward to them finally defeating Naraku.And what happens.They're still after him and shards.And all happy to be doing it together(Which I can understand)....:twitch:So not the ending I was hoping for.Makes me wonder what's going on in the manga.

Inuyasha doesn't fit the bill anymore because they are going to finish that anime in the future so you get the proper ending eventually

unsatisfied endings, a lot fo series I hate endings of series that are open and that you know off they have more material such as Tactics and many other series

npcomplete
2009-07-23, 22:24
Inuyasha doesn't fit the bill anymore because they are going to finish that anime in the future so you get the proper ending eventually
Yeah.. finally!!

I think the anime version of Kare Kano is pretty much the definitive unfulfilling anime ending. All of a sudden it ends randomly in the middle of a story arc with the conflict and plot threads introduced in said arc unresolved. There isn't even a cliffhanger. I don't know how many episodes were originally planned, but the sudden ending and drop in quality was a result of creative differences between the original mangaka, Tsuda Masami, and Gainax.

The manga on the other hand does have a very conclusive ending.
The mangaka quit around the middle of the show and the results are obvious. The latter half and the ending just tanked.

They say that endinds make or break a show/novel/film... and while I'm not sure if an open, unfinished or unresolved ending entirely ruins a show, it certainly leaves me very frustrated. I'd say that closure is a universally very important element in any creative medium and even in life (you want disputes resolved, good planning, etc. anything that allows you to "move foward").

This is why I also tend to wait before watching some shows to read about the ending, seeing how open ended it is and perhaps waiting for another season, although that can end up being futile

dfens
2009-07-24, 00:54
Actually in Macross Frontier if you pay attention to the last episode thanks to Ranka, Sheryl awakens her power to control and keep in check the vajara disease so she no longer has to worry about dying from it. Since Ranka was the only other person immune from it for some reason.

Still kind of corny both vowing not to give up on who gets Alto.

KholdStare
2009-07-24, 02:28
This is great, but please put significant plot/ending spoilers in spoiler tags. :(

4Tran
2009-07-24, 02:53
Given that, in this thread, it's quite possible to list the names of shows without giving anything away, I agree that any spoilers should stay inside spoiler tags.

As for the actual thread topic, one of the obvious choices for me is Spiral.
The very premise of the show is to ask a couple of very important question. The show itself spends a lot of time dwelling on these questions, but they are never addressed in a satisfactory manner. It's all setup and tease without any real resolution.

klare
2009-07-24, 03:40
Actually in Macross Frontier if you pay attention to the last episode thanks to Ranka, Sheryl awakens her power to control and keep in check the vajara disease so she no longer has to worry about dying from it. Since Ranka was the only other person immune from it for some reason.

Still kind of corny both vowing not to give up on who gets Alto.

yup

the ending already said Sheryl will not die of the disease, the unfulfilling part is who gets Alto? personally i hope both dump him :) none of the Macross songstress end up with the pilot anyway

dfens
2009-07-24, 17:54
Their haven't been to many endings that real irked me, most the manga's they were based off were still ongoing so that's why they weren't that good. Good or bad at least make it believable.

The one I can think of off hand recently was Shikibane Hime the 2nd season. It ended with with 2 main arch enemies fighting with one with the upper hand and bam before it's settled, it fades to black and it's over. Now that was a slap in the face.

Or Kannagi episode 13 was suppose to be the last and it ended on a somewhat decent and acceptable note, following the tone of the series. Then we have a bonus DVD only episode which was nothing but a stupid filler that wasn't even good at all. Didn't leave you with the impression of the series continuing and the fact if they never made it your not missing out if you didn't see it.

SeedFreedom
2009-07-24, 18:08
Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle and Shuffle...

And KGNE (Rumbling hearts in English)

Both had endings in which the girl i hated won, but more Shuffle because it was pure fanservice to change the entire plot in the last two eps to fit the winning girl.

Theres probably a lot more that i cant remember right now.

npcomplete
2009-07-24, 20:02
Or Kannagi episode 13 was suppose to be the last and it ended on a somewhat decent and acceptable note, following the tone of the series. Then we have a bonus DVD only episode which was nothing but a stupid filler that wasn't even good at all. Didn't leave you with the impression of the series continuing and the fact if they never made it your not missing out if you didn't see it.

Well... it still ended with important issues unresolved:Zange's possession situation, the increased (and bug-shaped) impurities, and Nagi's quest to find out who she really is. Seems like the season was more of an introduction and mainly concentrated more on the aspect of daily life and building up the relationship among the characters.

Anyways, it's impossible to believe that Kannagi won't get another season after more manga material is made. I haven't read the manga, but I guess it probably won't be anytime soon until the mangaka returns from her hiatus.

Cirrostratucat
2009-07-24, 22:49
The last episode is just too lame, even when they add another "extra" episode. Which is a shame though, a series this good definitely deserve a 2nd season... though it seem highly unlikely :(

And the other show that I can remember right now is Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo...
The final episode is just... "EHHH?!?!?"

Hs Vi Germania
2009-07-26, 17:42
Zombie Loan

End?
The end is just like a beginning of a new season, but a new one won't come. Pathetic.

bhl88
2009-07-26, 18:17
Lucky Star. Didn't see them graduate or something along those lines. It just ended with them dancing.

Zero no Tsukaima 3rd season: The bad guy was still laughing and Saito x Louise hasn't been resolved yet.

kk2extreme
2009-07-26, 18:34
skip beat - i mean come on whats with the ending, at least announce something to keep the fans occupied :(

same goes for fruits basket

lubczyk
2009-07-26, 18:53
Zipang and others can kiss my ***. Now I don't watch a series until I'm certain what the ending really is.

I don't care whether it's closed or open-ended. I just need to know what kind of ending it has.

SpamThenScam
2009-07-28, 16:51
Spiral: The bonds of reasoning - Doesn't have a proper ending. Leaves viewers with too many questions.

stubby42
2009-07-28, 16:55
I never really liked clannad after stories ending but having said that the second half of the series was some what lack luster to begin with.

Full Metal Coast
2009-07-28, 20:53
For me one of the most unfullfilling endings was Martian Successor Nadesico Prince of Darkness

with the whole thing of Akito turning into a emotionless killer Rurika being captured the Akito rescuing her then just bailing to go hunt the martian successor's.

this pissed me off so much as it just got left wide open with so many loose ends.

klare
2009-07-29, 06:32
For me one of the most unfullfilling endings was Martian Successor Nadesico Prince of Darkness

with the whole thing of Akito turning into a emotionless killer Rurika being captured the Akito rescuing her then just bailing to go hunt the martian successor's.

this pissed me off so much as it just got left wide open with so many loose ends.

agreed, i also thought it will act as the ending for the series, but it turned out to an even more UNFULFILLING ending!

RadiantBeam
2009-07-29, 17:34
Chrno Crusade's ending was horrible, at least for me.

Bad enough that they killed off Satella, Chrno, and Rosette and left Azmaria alone, probably causing the kid to have a truckload of emotional scars when she's old enough to deal with them, but in the end their sacrifice didn't even mean anything because Aion was still alive and assassinated the Pope!

Full Metal Coast
2009-07-29, 22:00
agreed, i also thought it will act as the ending for the series, but it turned out to an even more UNFULFILLING ending!

but i read somewhere a while ago that it was meant to be a two part OVA but the second one took too long to go into production so the creator pretty much dropped it and left it as one of the gayest most unfulfilling ending of all time

klare
2009-07-30, 05:07
but i read somewhere a while ago that it was meant to be a two part OVA but the second one took too long to go into production so the creator pretty much dropped it and left it as one of the gayest most unfulfilling ending of all time

i guess that explains why...

npcomplete
2009-07-30, 07:01
TOKKO (http://myanimelist.net/anime/916/TOKKO)
This anime lacks a second season or that the ending is questionable as that so many things left unsolved. Sakura wakes up and the world was in a state of apocalypse, yet they are going to do nothing about it or its not worth mentioning after all those long journeys? Its pitiful that this anime doesn't get a second season or a sequel movie.
Just finished watching Tokko and yep, you can add it to the usual list of WTH happened endings. It was also as if they tried to rush and wrap things up (unsuccessfully) literally in the last 5 mins.

Miko Miko
2009-07-30, 15:08
Chobits, good anime but I felt a bit mehh at the end, I cried but the ending could have had a bit more depth, it seemed sort of rushed.

Snickripep
2009-09-12, 09:42
The way Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ended, I could definitely tell a second season would be following soon enough.
I mean... they can't just leave you hanging when pretty much every question you have is unanswered!
So I don't really think it counts as a series "ending" when there is another season following it.

GreatTeacherKen
2009-09-12, 11:28
Now that I've finished Burst Angel, I add this show to my unfulfilling endings list. So basically, what happened to everyone not named Meg?

And I somehow find it hard to believe that Jo would 'die' from something like that considering she's pulled off much more outrageous and badass feats throughout the show.

The OP of the OVA seems to suggest that it would be a direct sequel and clarify what happened but the OVA itself ended up being a prequel/side story.

Timdog
2009-09-12, 14:38
I'm starting to notice this the more I get into anime. It's getting to the point where if the anime isn't done well visually and orally, it seems better to just read the manga since that usually has a better story and a good ending. It's like playing a video game adopted from a book that has horrible graphics and gameplay, it's better to just read the book then. Or the same with books adapted to movies, if it doesn't have good acting, sound, and visuals, the book is most likely better.

Sackett
2009-09-12, 15:30
I think there is a big difference btween not having an ending when the show is really ending. (For example Ranma 1/2) and not ending the show because you expect to have a second season in a couple years. (Shows that have decade long hiatus like Tenchi Muyo or Inuyasha are a different matter).

I don't mind them pausing for a couple years between seasons- that is as long as they didn't end on a cliff hanger.

Zu Ra
2009-09-12, 17:45
I will list the shows from the year 2008-2009 which I felt, left more to be desired . Yes and its quite subjective so not open for debate or discussion .

* Michiko to Hatchin : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiko_to_Hatchin) Amazing concept and kickass lead with an intriguing story . The slice of life and general realism turned this great adventure into something you would see on Discovery Channel . Also Michiko love interest turned out to be a complete jerk and ending felt hurried .

* Toradora : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toradora!) Was forced/badgered into watching this anime recently . I was feeling down and melancholic the concept and the plot of the show added on to it . The angst and break was handled poorly at the end it was too hunky dory . Know the manga is still ongoing but the anime ending leaves you with a bad after taste due to unresolved characters and issues .

* Viper's Creed : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viper's_Creed) Do all the secondary characters have to die to create cheap drama . There are several ways drama tension can be explored but the writers chose the easiest way out death .

* Blassreiter : (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9069) Read above also sci fi part became too bizarre and plot convoluted .

Haladflire65
2009-09-12, 19:18
I'd have to say Soul Eater. That has to be one of the worst endings for a series with a decent first half. All that time I spent watching all 51 episodes... I felt so wasted. The last one was so bad it wasn't even funny. Maka's stupid Punch of Courage was such a cheap, cliched, childish way to defeat an awesome villain. Kid and Black Star's characters were butchered. Stein and the other adults did nothing but watch. The ED sequence sucked. Ugh.

Highman
2009-09-12, 21:50
Mai HiME It needed a sequel from the beginning because alot things needed to go through the lines of the series even the fact that, it needed make better for that ending, but already it was rushed.

grylsyjaeger
2009-09-13, 04:32
Ginban Kaleidoscope.

Where's my goddamn second season?

Kaioshin Sama
2009-09-13, 07:22
Even if Haruhi 2009 took it's place as most disappointing sequel Gundam Seed Destiny still maintains the most disappointing ending award. Granted I wasn't exactly expecting much from it given how I had pretty much given up on the show about 15 episodes ago, but it had to feature easily the most boring, forced and pointless battle in a Gundam series ever, and yet even though the victory was loathsomely decisive it still managed to have no closure, leaving both the plot and the characters in various states of emo breakdown. I tip my hat to you Chiaki Morosawa.

Hell_ping
2009-09-13, 07:54
Even if Haruhi 2009 took it's place as most disappointing sequel Gundam Seed Destiny still maintains the most disappointing ending award. Granted I wasn't exactly expecting much from it given how I had pretty much given up on the show about 15 episodes ago, but it had to feature easily the most boring, forced and pointless battle in a Gundam series ever, and yet even though the victory was loathsomely decisive it still managed to have no closure, leaving both the plot and the characters in various states of emo breakdown. I tip my hat to you Chiaki Morosawa.

I agree with u there. GSD will go down in infamy as one of the worst sequels ever..., heck, reused images, (almost) same attacks and frames. (And the heck are u unable to shoot down a shuttle or worse, have 2 doomsday weapons and still lose?, and the winning party looked like they weren't even scratched...). And the ending just felt totally pointless... Seems like Sunrise in recent years wasnt able to do a proper sequel at all, well maybe Code Geass but quite a few times it felt like a 'huh' to me...

SpamthenScam- Funny how u mentioned Spiral-The bond of reasoning here... I liked the story as a whole as well, but the ending felt like there could be a sequel or even a short story series after that, because it is as open as maybe Code Geass, so I'm not really sure about the 'poor ending' part, although it did give me an aftertaste of wanting more of it. The anime though, I feel, was average at best. Repeated bomb plots, and probably only Ayumu has any proper development, sighs...

I cant say anything for haruhi 2009, since it hasnt properly ended yet. If they are going to end it with another 'Someday in the Rain', it will feel painful to me as a viewer becoz of the wasted no. of episodes that could have been used for other arcs, maybe disappearance (Boy I'll love this one), or snow mountain syndrome (not a very good choice I feel, becoz this will probably need to end off with more content). But veri unlikely. Disappointing yes, but at least it wasnt as other endings.

Just finished rushing through Higurashi. A very unfulfilling ending indeed. Firstly, out of a sudden, everyone miraculously remember things out of a sudden, whereas in like the past 100 years, they were unable to remember much, except Rika and to a small extent, Keiichi. And a group of professionals lost to tricks set by greenhorns, (Felt like the 'Home Alone' series though, quite funny:D), granted they are the scout team, but at least they should have enough training to do the job well right? Okay, the ending I'm talking about would be Matsuribayashi-hen, which the anime aired. Miotsukushi-hen, in my opinion, is a much better ending then this, at least I didnt have that feeling of 'that's it?' after reading through it. Though, with the TIPS signaling more things that are unsolved, like what exactly happened in the arc where Nakano realli died? (Forgot which arc was it), I'm guessing there could be a follow-up.

Timdog
2009-09-13, 10:25
Ginban Kaleidoscope.

Where's my goddamn second season?

When the 2010 Olympics happen.

Sackett
2009-09-13, 10:45
I agree with u there. GSD will go down in infamy as one of the worst sequels ever..., heck, reused images, (almost) same attacks and frames. (And the heck are u unable to shoot down a shuttle or worse, have 2 doomsday weapons and still lose?, and the winning party looked like they weren't even scratched...). And the ending just felt totally pointless... Seems like Sunrise in recent years wasnt able to do a proper sequel at all, well maybe Code Geass but quite a few times it felt like a 'huh' to me...

SpamthenScam- Funny how u mentioned Spiral-The bond of reasoning here... I liked the story as a whole as well, but the ending felt like there could be a sequel or even a short story series after that, because it is as open as maybe Code Geass, so I'm not really sure about the 'poor ending' part, although it did give me an aftertaste of wanting more of it. The anime though, I feel, was average at best. Repeated bomb plots, and probably only Ayumu has any proper development, sighs...

I cant say anything for haruhi 2009, since it hasnt properly ended yet. If they are going to end it with another 'Someday in the Rain', it will feel painful to me as a viewer becoz of the wasted no. of episodes that could have been used for other arcs, maybe disappearance (Boy I'll love this one), or snow mountain syndrome (not a very good choice I feel, becoz this will probably need to end off with more content). But veri unlikely. Disappointing yes, but at least it wasnt as other endings.

Haruhi 2009 ended with Sighs.

Maybe they'll announce another season for Disappearance. Who knows with Haruhi.

Marisa Kirisame
2009-09-13, 11:23
Except every single piece of advertisement of Haruhi S2 was always about Disappearance. In the contrary, nothing was mentioned of Sighs or, say, Endless Eight. Whoever is in charge must be a real dick to not do Disappearance. Then again, even Disappearance itself is over-hyped by the fandom, so I don't really care either way.

Lonestar9
2009-09-14, 12:16
Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle and Shuffle...

And KGNE (Rumbling hearts in English)

Both had endings in which the girl i hated won, but more Shuffle because it was pure fanservice to change the entire plot in the last two eps to fit the winning girl.

Theres probably a lot more that i cant remember right now.

LOL...those ending are just a matter of opinion, I was very happy with the girls that won in both Shuffle and KGNE, the right girl won, but in my opinion. I do see your point when someone you like doesn't win, it's happened to me in other series.

saya_leviathan
2009-09-16, 04:12
Trinity Blood

The anime is a fail and doesn't have much character development. It ended when Esther was crowned Queen of Albion and Abel and Ion went off to hunt down Cain. But since the author of the original light novels died when the anime just started showing, it will remain a mystery to see what will happened between Abel and Cain...

But there's a book called Trinity Blood Canon where it contains notes of the author before he died. There are notes that were stated some major characters died and the battle between the Terrans and Methuselahs got worse.

The only thing that I hope is the manga version since it's still ongoing....

grylsyjaeger
2009-09-16, 05:43
When the 2010 Olympics happen.

Please don't play with my heart... D=

Thewanderer
2009-09-19, 03:20
Not sure if manga can count here, but Bitter Virgin. Horrible ending to a very good manga series. Just for one detail though. Call me picky, but...Did the author REALLY think that "We won't be together forever" comment from the lead male(forgot his name) was at all realistic?

I mean yes, most young couples don't stay together. But they don't realize it like that! Okay, some guys do realize it, but that's because they don't WANT their relationships to last, because they just want to fuck and leave. Obviously the main character wasn't like that by the end, especially since they didn't have sex.

Xion Valkyrie
2009-09-19, 04:05
Trinity Blood

The anime is a fail and doesn't have much character development. It ended when Esther was crowned Queen of Albion and Abel and Ion went off to hunt down Cain. But since the author of the original light novels died when the anime just started showing, it will remain a mystery to see what will happened between Abel and Cain...

But there's a book called Trinity Blood Canon where it contains notes of the author before he died. There are notes that were stated some major characters died and the battle between the Terrans and Methuselahs got worse.

The only thing that I hope is the manga version since it's still ongoing....

Is the author dead or something? It's pretty much unfinished?

SeedFreedom
2009-09-20, 14:01
LOL...those ending are just a matter of opinion, I was very happy with the girls that won in both Shuffle and KGNE, the right girl won, but in my opinion. I do see your point when someone you like doesn't win, it's happened to me in other series.

I'll admit that my disappointment with KGNE was more personal, but i do have serious problems and issues with Shuffles ending.

First of all, there was no indication AT ALL that Asa was even in the running for his spot. And she even said she would stay out to save friendships, in the first few episodes! For me the show had always been between Kaede Sia and Nerine. Even Primula wasn't heavily considered an option. After knocking both Sia and (in horrible fashion) Nerine, it should have been an open and shut case. However since Asa proved to be the most popular character, they suddenly change around the story line and made her the winner, while totally destroying Kaede's character making her a crazy pycho (which is nothing like the source, not even a artistic interpretation. Nobody really gets closure as they all still chase Rin and overall just a really muddled mess. I wouldn't be upset if either Nerine or Sia took the win, and i don't really dislike Asa, but they twisted it around to please the fanboys and they did it in a horrible way.

Alas, as i grew older, and wiser, i have some new anime to add to my "most disappointing ending ever" list. Among them, Gundam 00 (i know many people liked it, but i really had problems with it. Not horrible, but not great), Soul Eater, and every anime with a cliffhanger ending to ensure fans would yell loud enough to get a sequel. Seriously, its annoying and not even guaranteed to work.

kakakka
2009-09-20, 14:35
I mean yes, most young couples don't stay together. But they don't realize it like that! Okay, some guys do realize it, but that's because they don't WANT their relationships to last, because they just want to fuck and leave.

Eh, I think the idea was focused on the girl being rejected by society (guy's friends/parent/other people) because she's not pure, thus her and the guy being not together for long (more drama more drama....) I know, it's dumb, but it still happens...

My un-fulfilling endings for Mangas are:

Threads of Time It's Sali Tayi redemption story. Ok I kid a bit, though Sali Tayi's redemption at the end felt like force, especially when his "other", Moon Bin Lee, is also a boring character...
Ichigo 100%. I'm more leaning to Aya than the other girls.
DEEP LOVE - Reina no Unmei Tragedy at its top. I felt that the mangaka was a sadist when I finished this ><

In anime, I don't have any...

Thewanderer
2009-09-20, 18:45
Eh, I think the idea was focused on the girl being rejected by society (guy's friends/parent/other people) because she's not pure, thus her and the guy being not together for long (more drama more drama....) I know, it's dumb, but it still happens...Wait I don't understand... so because of society's values, he CAN'T be with her because she's "used goods" as they put it?

It's just one extreme to another. In the states, women are accepted by society even when some are complete bitches to guys less experienced than themselves. And over there, even the nicest, most perfect girl is shunned because she was forced into such a thing against her will...?To put it bluntly, that's fucked up. Why can't we all just get along?

Anyway, that ending still don't sit well with me.

chinanator
2009-09-20, 19:35
I`m surprised no one has mentioned Kiss x Sis yet. If anyone reads that manga it probably has the MOST unfulfilled ending EVER. I mean seriously. It leaves things so open!
It introduced a fifth potential character, and then lets sit at that!

It`s like the author got bored and just started a new series!

kakakka
2009-09-20, 19:43
Wait I don't understand... so because of society's values, he CAN'T be with her because she's "used goods" as they put it?

It's just one extreme to another. In the states, women are accepted by society even when some are complete bitches to guys less experienced than themselves. And over there, even the nicest, most perfect girl is shunned because she was forced into such a thing against her will...?To put it bluntly, that's fucked up. Why can't we all just get along?

Anyway, that ending still don't sit well with me.
I never tried to make you change your mind about the ending, just trying to tell you some perspective the guy is talking about. Even the childhood friend reacted weird when she found out the girl gave birth.

Anyway, yes its fucked up, and yeah its not in the states...

Oh yeah I forgot

Mx0
The manga just ended suddenly, which surprised me. And the guy was promising. Such a waste to have that sucky ending

saya_leviathan
2009-09-21, 04:44
Is the author dead or something? It's pretty much unfinished?

Yes, Sunao Yoshida died last 2004 which is why there is no proper ending. His friend, Kentaro Yasui (author of the Ragnarok novels), was asked to complete the remaining novels but there is no continuation on what will be the outcome between Abel and Cain or the war between the Terrans and Methuselahs. The manga is still ongoing but I don't know how will the mangaka, Kiyo Kujo, end the manga.

roriconfan
2010-02-02, 19:13
Not many anime have a solid ending. Most have an open to sequel ending, others a rushed one and some even a "far too simple for what is going on" one. Why is that?

Kotohono
2010-02-02, 19:37
Not many anime have a solid ending. Most have an open to sequel ending, others a rushed one and some even a "far too simple for what is going on" one. Why is that?

Since most anime is based off manga or light novels the source generally causes the ending, if the source is incomplete their good chance of one of those two kind of endings. Since with the source unfinished they either leave open to make more when more of the source is done, or they create an "original" ending that's different from the source which can often end up feeling too simply or rushed.

Marcus H.
2010-02-02, 19:50
Since most anime is based off manga or light novels the source generally causes the ending, if the source is incomplete their good chance of one of those two kind of endings. Since with the source unfinished they either leave open to make more when more of the source is done, or they create an "original" ending that's different from the source which can often end up feeling too simply or rushed.

This.

Adaptations are the fad when it comes to anime productions for this year, so I'm not surprised that all these 2-cour series will have a solid ending.

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-02, 22:47
one thing i hate is a rushed or left open ending.

though on the other hand if i know there will be a sequel im not to fussed as it means the manga or material it was based on was not yet finished.

Arbitres
2010-02-02, 23:23
Endings are pretty variable, from 'Happy ever after' to the more rare 'Price Tag' ones.

The latter being preferrable to me... but that is besides the point.

Most animes endings are carefully crafted to leave some kind of opening -- any opening, so if the anime creators feel like opening up another sequel/prequel/alternative, then they can.

Anime sometimes originate from it's manga, which it may tightly or loosely follow. Really up to the artist/creator/corporation.

Vault Dweller
2010-02-03, 00:10
Having been burned enough times by bad or unsatisfying endings I usually try to go into any new show with very low expectations for the ending. That way even it is isn't great I'm not too disappointed. I don't have a problem with open endings, it is possible to have an open ending that's also a satisfying ending to the season. But so many of them just feel rushed or shallow. Of course that's all due to the reasons already posted above.

A nice conclusive ending that ties everything up is always nice but so very rare in anime, at least out of what I've watched. The worst ending for me is from one of my early favorites, the notoriously abrupt ending to the Berserk anime. It was so incredibly harsh that it's what actually go me into reading manga since I went right for the Berserk manga once I learned of its existence.

Armored Knight
2010-02-03, 02:11
Yes, most anime comes from manga. I don't really care about the ending that much. If I like it, it is good. If I don't like it, I will forget eventually. The ending is just a part of the enjoyment of watching anime. I watch anime because I enjoy the events not waiting for the ending to come. Yes, sometimes terrible endings could affect my rating and overall acceptance but not always. I don't care if the ending is satisfying or not and even if I am not satisfied, the author wanted to end it the way he/she wanted. I usually respect the authors' choices and understand the meanings they wanted to deliver by the endings.

Zu Ra
2010-02-03, 02:51
B'coz they dont get planned right . Several factors come into play .

From series extension to manga to anime conversion . If its an anime original production depending on success of series it gets a second season or not . So the endings at times are left open . There are even some cases where manga ceases to publish or changes periodicals .

Westlo
2010-02-03, 03:22
Adaptations are the fad when it comes to anime productions for this year

lol? Adaptions have been the "fad" for far longer than 1 year.

roriconfan
2010-02-03, 04:52
Did they ever changed the manga story to end the anime version in a successful way? Soul Eater, Gantz, the first FMA, all have original storylines that end the story and they feel far worse than the original manga. Better left open if you ask me.

Not to mention the "insert so many fillers for the manga to make more chapters that the series is canceld without even an ending because of zero ratings". Such is the case with Rurouni Kenshin or Rave Master. It takes a hype colossus like Bleach to keep using this method without ever being canceled.

Kafriel
2010-02-03, 07:53
Soul Eater, Gantz, the first FMA, all have original storylines that end the story and they feel far worse than the original manga.
To me, Soul Eater and FMA did a good job with their endings (OVA included for FMA), I'd say it's a solid end, unlike Samurai Deeper Kyo, Tenjou Tenge, Ninja scrolls, Rosario+Vampire, etc. where they leave way too many questions unanswered and it doesn't feel like an ending at all.

Sackett
2010-02-03, 12:26
Thinking more positively about some that had a good solid ending...

Masion Ikkoku comes to mind... and that's really about it.

There are others I've liked the ending to... but that's the only one I can think of where everyone I know thinks "ah a perfect ending". It's also probably the only anime I've never had the slightest interest in reading fanfics about to see how people think loose strings will be tied up.

Pocari_Sweat
2010-02-03, 13:02
Recent most unfullfilling ending I had was Clannad ~ After Story. The journey was an absolute blast but felt that the ending was unsatisfying.

Dazarath
2010-02-03, 18:45
I think the most unfulfilling endings are the ones where nothing happens. It's even worse when the rest of the series was like that too. You'd have to be pretty deluded to convince yourself that "open to interpretation" is a feature. I'm pretty sure the rest of us just see it as laziness on the creator's part. I can invent my own beginning/middle/ends when I'm daydreaming. When I watch someone else's series, it had better be complete.

The next worse types would be the really standard endings. Think romance anime where you already know the ending 20 seconds into the first episode. Or any crappy action series where they yell a lot and then kill the bad guys.

Socke
2010-02-03, 19:04
All I can say is "Satan Days". Yes Satan was directed this show.

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-03, 21:55
All I can say is "Satan Days". Yes Satan was directed this show.

i just thought WTF and started laughing. i found this as one of the funniest endings to a series ever.

roriconfan
2010-02-04, 03:39
Here is what someone else on another forum said about unfinished endings and how good they may be. He uses the 12 Kingdoms as an example.
Perhaps I am weird, or perhaps I`ve just read too much history for my own good, but I found this story to have a perfectly fine ending given the original ambition of the author. I don`t think people should approach this story expecting a huge ending battle and "so everyone lives happily ever after". Rather, I think everyone should watch this anime and read this light novel series as if he is reading a very interesting history novel (oxymoron I know but still it`s possible!). In that sense, the ending makes perfect sense, because it presents to the viewers a possibility rather than a grave stone.

So for anyone who is going "huh?" take this example as a comparison. Say you`re reading about the exciting events of WWII. When the time line reaches 1945, the story doesn`t just stop. History never says "and so everyone goes living happily ever after", but rather slams you with something like "and thus the Cold War begins and human civilization faces the real possibility of complete destruction." Now, would you still say that WWII didn`t end?

As for the ending of the 12 kingdom animated series, it is a good ending given what has already been accomplished in the 45 episode series. Yoko is almost a completely new person, and is sitting on a golden throne rather than lying in a deathbed. Taiki had realized his purpose and chosen a ruler. Sugimoto had returned to the "real" world, and Asano met his end. And the list of what has happened and accomplished goes on and on. Just like a good old history novel it concludes not with an ending, but a new beginning. Kind of like Churchill`s old saying, "This is not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning."

As for a continuation, I feel that both the author and the animators have moved on to new pastures (be they`re greener or not is up to debate). Instead of hoping and praying for an "ending" why not just imagine/write your own? It is after all...an open ending.

So then, I guess you can take my whole post like this: I too would like to see what kind of kingdom Yoko creates, but I would hate to see it created because I know in the back of my mind that it would most likely be imperfect and destined to fail. So why destroy such a perfect story with such an imperfect reality?
By the way, I don't agree to this; I just present it as a disscussion issue.

Marcus H.
2010-02-04, 03:54
What's wrong with that kind of ending in something like The Twelve Kingdoms? From the few episodes I have watched, it's not the common anime show where a high degree of focus on a single character is portrayed throughout the series. It's more of a record of war or an annal of what happened and thus, doesn't need--or care about--the conclusions.

roriconfan
2010-02-04, 05:37
^ Do you mean war records don't need an ending? LoGH was also one and the ending was much satisfying.

Dazarath
2010-02-04, 09:30
@ Roriconfan

While I agree with some of the points made by the other poster, he implies that a conclusive ending equates to a climactic ending, or a scenario where "everyone lives happily ever after". I disagree. People don't always need to live happily ever after for an ending to be satisfying. In fact, because that's the obvious, cliche route to take, I find endings with a bit of a twist to be more memorable. Obviously, it's going to depend on the series. If I'm watching a comedy anime, then the often I expect to see the standard ending, and that's fine.

The other thing is, just because the greater dilemma (in his example, the war) is not concluded, that doesn't mean the series has to be left with an open ending. The author could conclude a sub-dilemma and that (if done properly) would suffice. I don't watch historical series as they're not my really my thing, but the closest example I can pull from the top of my head at this moment would be Gunparade March. No one expected the humans vs phantom beasts issue to be solved, but things like character development and romantic interests defined the ending. I wouldn't consider that to be unfulfiling, even if it wasn't particularly deep or anything.

"Instead of hoping and praying for an "ending" why not just imagine/write your own? It is after all...an open ending."

To some, this is fine, but to me it's not. Where does one draw the line at what the author is allowed to leave up to the viewers? What if the beginning is missing and open to interpretation? The middle? What if I just gave you a single blank episode and said, "hey, the beginning/middle/end are all up to you as the viewer"? Like I said in my previous post, I have plenty to free time to invent my own stories; I don't need other authors telling me to do so when I'm watching their series.

I'll stop here though, because it's not really fair to pick part one post when the guy isn't even here to defend his own viewpoint. I could agree with his general message, just not some of the specific points.

Irenicus
2010-02-04, 11:56
The problem with the Twelve Kingdoms was really that the Taiki story arc wasn't finished.

As a record of Youko's tale, it actually was finished and quite conclusively. But the Taiki story is a mix in from another novel in the series, and that particular arc is completely unresolved.

Taiki remains lost in "our" world; the king's fate remains a mystery. And Tai remains in chaos. It was literally unfinished.

While it is true that history never ever ends conclusively, this isn't an argument in support of the Twelve Kingdoms ending. I could, however, respect the producers' decision to leave the arc as-is rather than to create a half-assed original ending in place when they realize they can't animate the rest of the novels in the Taiki arc. Unsatisfying, perhaps, but it's a sincere decision.

Rather than thinking of the Twelve Kingdoms as a history; I'd read it as a cycle of myths, rather. Mythical stories have endings, conclusive if not completely so. The Trojan War hardly ended the stories of the heroes involved or the continuing mythical history of Ancient Greece (there are many related myths involved), and there certainly was no happily ever after waiting for anyone back home, but the war itself *did* end, and [spoiler? lol] Troy *did* fall. In comparison, the Twelve Kingdom series can continue to have Youko influence events ("myths") that are centered around other characters, or even start new stories about her. But as a "myth" of her arrival in the new world it is complete. The situation with Taiki is different, and the reason why a lot of people say that Twelve Kingdoms the anime is literally unfinished.

roriconfan
2010-02-04, 12:57
What I consider an ending is when there are no obvious side stories left open.
Although there are series that end a chapter of the story, the fans can still stretch the facts to FIND openings for sequels (Code Geass for example).
But there are series that indeed end the main story before the final episode (Macross comes to mind) as there are stories that are left incomplete (most actually).
I almost see that an open ending is better in terms of marketing as it leaves room for a sequel and keeps the hype machine working to maintain its fanbase.
But in all I still prefer a solid ending to the main theme than an open one or a ridiculous spin-off ending.

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-04, 20:54
i think i might have another entry to the unfulfilling endings list and after watching it last night i have to say Darker Than Black series 2 for me was a bit fulfilling but also really unfulfilling.

Socke
2010-02-04, 21:08
i just thought WTF and started laughing. i found this as one of the funniest endings to a series ever.

...but it just not funny, even I tried to look in that way. I spent at least 5 1/2 hours on its 11 episodes of my life on that crap(but still far better than the 12th one) only to be greeted by the crappiest ending ever that makes its first 11 episodes of crap as Cannes-worthy.

Not to troll you and this thread but I just couldn't understand why you(and most other people) can find it funny.

Full Metal Coast
2010-02-05, 03:43
...but it just not funny, even I tried to look in that way. I spent at least 5 1/2 hours on its 11 episodes of my life on that crap(but still far better than the 12th one) only to be greeted by the crappiest ending ever that makes its first 11 episodes of crap as Cannes-worthy.

Not to troll you and this thread but I just couldn't understand why you(and most other people) can find it funny.

yeah i know how you feel it is a cop out ending but as i watched it out of al the scenarios that played out in my mind the actual ending was a scenario that nobody thought was going to happen so i just took it as a joke yeah it was a real disapointing but what can you do about it.

in the end it comes down to the age old saying "when life gives you lemonade you say fuck it and bail"

raduccio
2010-02-22, 04:11
Nobody mentioned Ai Yori Aosi?! I liked this anime but I still cant belive it ended and nobody finds out that Aoi and Kaoru were engaged. Seriously, what's that about?! This anime doesn't give any closure whatsoever. Is it supposed tu suggest that even though the show ended life goes on as it always had for the characters?

Should we mention the shows that had one season, left plenty of room for a sequel and nobody knows if they will be continued? Those endings are probably the most unfulfilling of all.

Ending
2010-02-22, 05:26
People don't always need to live happily ever after for an ending to be satisfying. In fact, because that's the obvious, cliche route to take, I find endings with a bit of a twist to be more memorable.
True. Yet there has to be a clear ending. Adaptation or not, when I go see a movie or serie I expect to see a clear starting and ending points. Without those there really isn't a story.

On the other hand, some series have painted the ending all over, so it's easy to guess how it is going to be even without an explicit (canon) conclusion. But that's boring. Ever watched a harem anime where the protagonist has that one special woman among many? Yeah, that's boring.