PDA

View Full Version : Best Dramatic Scenes

mcruz1014
2007-11-22, 20:57
I've seen a decent amount of anime, and as all of you know, a lot of anime is full of cliché moments, and dramatic scenes that are poorly executed and downright corny. However, every once in a while, there are some really subtle, touching and poignant moments that transcend the clichés. Share some of the most moving and memorable anime moments that you've seen.

Here are my suggestions:
Kaname cuts Sousuke's hair - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
moments between Haruka and Ayato - Rahxephon
Sakura tries to stop Sasuke from leaving - Naruto
Koshiro denies feelings for his sister, theh hugs her
Haruka looks at her hands and fingers and wonders what has happened to her

Tri-ring
2007-11-22, 21:40
I would nominate Seirei no Moribito episode 8 where the swordsmith was having a conversation about who is suitable to wield the ultimate sword with the hound guards while Balsa and Chagum was hiding in the storage room next door.
The quite ambient atmosphere where the three was exchanging stories in comparison with the tense moments in the room next door where Balsa was prepared to take on the two if they were found was a great scene in which I would only expect in a Kurosawa movie.

d.sinclair
2007-11-22, 23:41
Kaname cuts Sousuke's hair - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid

:D Still one of my favorite scenes ever. Props to Kyoani for turning the loud and brash FMP into something so subtle and awesome.

When I saw the KGNE tag, I thought you were going for the obvious one...<_< well I guess since you're leaning more towards subtle...

Off the top of my head: Spike falling out of the church window in episode 5(?) of Cowboy Bebop with the flashbacks. Fell in love with that anime on the spot. :D

The Chaos
2007-11-23, 10:40
Ouran Host Club When Haruhi On the carriage fallowing tamki ...
When She is try to stop him and then haruhi gets tossed off the carriage and off the bridge tamaki wants to go after her but eclair tries to stop him after she sees it's useless she lets him go and he thanks her....
Really Wonderful ....:love:

Kristen
2007-11-23, 13:20
The scene in Kanon where Yuuichi takes Makoto up to the hill, and puts the veil on her. I had never seen any scene so dramatic and great.

Rhyel
2007-11-23, 14:28
More Dramatic? This year is Claymore at episode 8. I am near to cry in final moments.

Geass
2007-11-23, 17:28
How about Code Geass? There are many dramatic moments, especially in the beginning and towards the end of the season.

Lelouch gaining Geass and Euphemia dying come to mind.

Rayneing
2007-11-23, 17:32
Keiichi convinces Shion not to kill Teppei.

Malintex_Terek
2007-11-23, 18:30
Kittan's run against the Spiral Death Machine in Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

UPR
2007-11-23, 20:26
Myself;Yourself ep8 with Nanaka and Sana. And Nanaka pouring her heart out.

Apple_Tree
2007-11-23, 21:41
*Spoiler*
Fushigi Yuugi when Nuriko dies. I balled my eyes out.

Lynx190
2007-11-23, 21:55
if I stick to just a single moment rather than an entire scene:

Shinku trying (and failing) to button her collar with only one hand, after losing her arm at the end of season 1. Jun's lines felt rather cliché, thus why I don't want to say the entire scene; but Shinku trying to act tough like everything was fine, then breaking down when she realizes she can no longer even do something so simple, that was really moving for me.

Of course there's also any of the deaths in Traumend, but one would expect death scenes to be sad, and these didn't particularly move me more than other ones have.

Eviltape
2007-11-23, 23:56
Shinku trying (and failing) to button her collar with only one hand, after losing her arm at the end of season 1. Jun's lines felt rather cliché, thus why I don't want to say the entire scene; but Shinku trying to act tough like everything was fine, then breaking down when she realizes she can no longer even do something so simple, that was really moving for me.

Of course there's also any of the deaths in Traumend, but one would expect death scenes to be sad, and these didn't particularly move me more than other ones have. All that is contained in these spoiler tags is truth to me. Rozen Maiden pulled some of the best emotional impact stuff I've seen transmitted through the channel of anime. Clannad episodes 7+8 are starting to feel a bit impacting, too.

Grimkill7
2007-11-24, 00:25
Cowboy Bebop When Faye confronts Spike on the final episode. I was practically screaming at my t.v. "Don't go! Be with Faye!" He didn't hear me though :upset:

Trigun When Wolfwood dies. He's leaning up against his cross in the church begging God to spare his life because he wants to spend more time with Milly, Vash, and Meril. He also wants atonement for his sins and is asking God if everything in his life was a mistake. Saddest anime death ever.

Shakugan no Shana (1st season) At the festival where Yuji decides to go look for Yoshida instead of staying with Shana. It was so dramatic my face was like :uhoh:

I'm trying to think of others, but that's all I got for now.

minhtam1638
2007-11-24, 03:37
Saying this as an anime neophyte, there are too many to count. For starters:
Somewhere in Episode 20 or 21, where Ayu said she couldn't be with Yuichi anymore. It was the scene where she was continually digging at the ground looking for her angel...Can't exactly remember the details, but I'm marathoning Kanon during my ride to Massachusetts today.

whitewater_81
2007-11-24, 05:22
:eyebrow:
I'm really surprised that you noobs never mentioned..

AIR
Misuzu tries walks to her mother and when she reached her she said "GOAL!" then dies..

If you really wanna appreciate how dramatic it is,just watch the anime.You'll breakdown in tears..

Sakura_Kinomoto
2007-11-24, 09:12
Hmmm Definatley in Fruits Basket when Having finally found true happiness, the love-struck Hatori asked for Akito's permission to marry Kana. In response, Akito severely injured Hatori's left eye with a nearby vase, causing him to barely see in that eye. Furthermore, Akito accused Kana of hurting Hatori, telling her that he wouldn't have been injured if she had never existed. The grief-stricken Kana, taking in Akito's spiteful words, was unable to bear the guilt she felt over Hatori's injuries, and descended into depression and heartsickness. Hatori, left with no choice, erased Kana's memory to ease the immense burden of blame with which she could not endure. The last words Kana uttered were that she was sorry she couldn't protect him, for which he felt even more guilt, thinking he should have been the one to protect her. It was so sad i cried my eyes out *sniffles*

s[H]sIkuA
2007-11-24, 10:22
Kittan's run against the Spiral Death Machine in Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

+1 "Libera Me" from Hell

WanderingKnight
2007-11-24, 10:48
THAT scene of The End of Evangelion:

The third impact, when Komm, Süsser Tod is played.
It was dramatic and beautiful at the same time, so much that I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh. By far my favorite scene of all time.

stelok
2007-11-24, 13:01
Best dramatic scenes:

I My Me Strawberry Eggs: Hibiki Amawa bowing to the students in the assembly as an admission of "her" true gender.

Fate/Stay Night: Saber appearing and standing in front of Shiro and asking him "Are you my master?" That first meeting between Shiro and Saber was beautifully dramatic.

Canvas 2- Kamikura presents a painting of blue angels to Elise

Honey_and_Cleaver
2007-11-24, 18:01
Black Cat

Sven tried to save Eve from her beserk transformation, then he got stabbed in the process while trying to save her, he keeps saying she isnt a weapon, that was a dramatic scene, very, it builded up really well with the ice cream and he tried so hard to get to her.

Gungrave

1.Brandon on the elevator standing with Harry, where Harry told him he could get his girlfriend who married an old mafia boss back to him , he punched him and cried, then Brandon was shot by Harry and thrown from the elevator.

2.Grave fought and fought till his body broke to pieces and eventually died.

UltimaWolf
2007-11-24, 19:21
Another one for Kanon.

Its been awhile, but its during the flashback(later episodes) with Ayu and Yuichi, Right after Ayu falls from the tree and they are both crying and she's saying she can't even pinky promise with Yuichi because she can't move her hands, and Yuichi grabs her hand and does a pinky promise with her. (Sorry its been awhile I can't remember the exact words,etc :heh: )

MaxwellDemon
2007-11-24, 19:35
I am surprised no one mentioned anything from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. o.o;

From Minagoroshi:

When everyone gave their last stand before dying and after dying, their "spirit" all stood to support Rika one last time before she is murdered.

The part where Hanyuu grabbed Rika's hand and just started to cry due to Rika failing after trying so hard, that part was pretty dramatic. :(

From Tsumihoroboshi:

The rooftop fight, with everything coming down when Rena couldn't bare herself to strike down at Keiichi.

Of course, judging from my avatar and signature... I had to pin a few dramatic scene from Rozen Maiden. :heh:

I think the entire episode 7 of S1 is very dramatic in terms of character development... then of course, there is the end...

When Jun thought Shinku and all the dolls have left after the finale.

From S2...

I feel like the entire part starting from when Souseiseki battled Suigintou to the part where Suiseiseki tearfully looked at her now "dead" sister and said that Sou was just sleeping for a bit... that entire part was pure dramatic.

Hina Ichigo's end scene was also very dramatic, but I feel like it was more of a tear jerker than dramatic.

And then from Lucky Star...

Two words: Izumi Kanata. XD

I am sure there are more dramatic scenes in my head than these recent animes, but since I watched them recently, those are the ones that is staying in my head for now. XD

Rayneing
2007-11-24, 21:29
I am surprised no one mentioned anything from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. o.o;

I do believe I did.

Keiichi convinces Shion not to kill Teppei.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-11-25, 00:37
Just to add something new, all of Kodomo No Jikan episode 06 was pretty dramatic.

Tri-ring
2007-11-25, 01:17
Moonlight mile season 2
With limited air supply left for the other crews trapped within module one, Goro, Miguel and, Maggy must free them from their impending doom.
As Goro guides Miguel controlling the Orion into position, Maggy mast take the daunting task of operating the guardian robot through neural feedback control to break lose module one in saving the trapped crew.
Maggy finishes 90% of the task but pushes her heart rate and brain wave to the limit and she goes into cardiac arrest with no one to save her.
Will she manage to pull out with no one to rush to her aid?
What will happen to the crew?

The program is the best ! !

Sorrow-K
2007-11-25, 02:54
Hmmm Definatley in Fruits Basket when Having finally found true happiness, the love-struck Hatori asked for Akito's permission to marry Kana. In response, Akito severely injured Hatori's left eye with a nearby vase, causing him to barely see in that eye. Furthermore, Akito accused Kana of hurting Hatori, telling her that he wouldn't have been injured if she had never existed. The grief-stricken Kana, taking in Akito's spiteful words, was unable to bear the guilt she felt over Hatori's injuries, and descended into depression and heartsickness. Hatori, left with no choice, erased Kana's memory to ease the immense burden of blame with which she could not endure. The last words Kana uttered were that she was sorry she couldn't protect him, for which he felt even more guilt, thinking he should have been the one to protect her. It was so sad i cried my eyes out *sniffles*Oh man, I'm getting teary eyed just remembering that scene.

To answer the topic, too many to pick from. Some of my most memorable are:

Tomoe's death. I couldn't hear the name "Tomoe" in completely different anime without remembering her death for like a year.

The scene where the Count kills Franz in the duel.

Grimmer's death.

The entire episode where Rika is preparing to kill herself, and Mayama attempts to prevent her from doing so.

The confrontation between Sousuke and Gauron.

And this one from Gungrave:

Gungrave

1.Brandon on the elevator standing with Harry, where Harry told him he could get his girlfriend who married an old mafia boss back to him , he punched him and cried, then Brandon was shot by Harry and thrown from the elevator.

I actually thought the most dramatic thing about the end of Gungrave wasn't the fact that Brandondied on his mission to kill Harry, it was the fact that he forgave him.

Fynal_Fyre
2007-11-25, 04:32
For me:

Allen's fully unleashed innocence goes toe-to-toe with Suman Dark's forsaken innocence.

Rossiu arrests Simon and charges him with the Death Sentence after he promptly defeats two Anti-Spirals.

mcruz1014
2007-11-25, 12:21
The confrontation between Sousuke and Gauron.

OMG I totally forgot about that. That had to be one of the best scenes in the whole series.

Also wanted to add another from

When Ayato catches Haruka kissing Itsuki

the expression on his face was priceless, IMO

KholdStare
2007-11-25, 13:53
I really think that some of the most dramatic scenes happened this season.

This is an obvious one, of course, but that's what makes it so good. I'm talking about the end of episode two, and the ED that follows it.

I can't really pick any moment of episode 14, so I will say that all of it, especially the scene starting from Haruhi standing up from her wheelchair to when Takayuki says goodbye, and the scene where Takayuki meets Mitsuki at the tree, and the flashbacks as Akane reads Haruhi's storybook.

At the end where Tomoe completes the X and dies, that was one dramatic and extremely good scene.

The scene that shows Akemi near death and tells Shuji her real feelings was just very emotional to me.

There scene where Hiroki and Sayuri meet in though in different worlds was beautifully animation and the BGM was wonderful, and afterwards they renew their promise telepathically.

When Takuya brings Sayuri back to their plane shop and asks Hiroki to play his violin again, the music begins with a violin solo of Sayuri's theme, then goes into an orchestral version with flashbacks of their childhood memories. That was just amazing.

Episode 7 of Clannad features one of the best emotional scenes of all time, when Nagisa cries after hearing about Fuko's health. It is just an amazing portrayal of emotions along with great animation.

Episode 8's ending features an astounding display voice acting, BGM, direction, and animation. Overall, it was a truly dramatic moment, thanks to the help of Nanaka and Sana's voice actors. The music played there also helped a great deal.

The Chaos
2007-12-19, 15:31
From Clannad
When Fu-Chan Huge Her Sister And Despair And Give her The starfish
Best Drama :)

gh0stmice
2007-12-19, 19:41
More Dramatic? This year is Claymore at episode 8. I am near to cry in final moments.

totally agree...i think...is that when teresa's head comes off....
i was shocked they built that up very nicley.....
just minutes after she says" i cant die just yet, ive found something to live for"....bomb...she dies..

KholdStare
2007-12-19, 20:52
Hey can we use spoiler tags please :( I was actually planning to watch Claymore in the future.

FLCL
2007-12-20, 02:30
guys their is honestly no comparison

Kittans Suicide run in TTGL and Kamina's Death in TTGL

and on a lighter note

ramen scene in ninomiya kun, like randomest awesomest thing ever

C.A.
2007-12-20, 07:49
I couldn't sleep and waited for the raws of Top!2 episode 6. It was a really dramatic end, definitely worth the wait.

Gurren Lagann has at least 1 dramatic scene for every episode. I can't really choose a best from it, they're too epic.

Nearing the end, Fuko's arc made me skipped some heartbeats.

Gaogaigar FINAL was epic in every episode as well.

changeup
2007-12-22, 00:17
One particular scene in Shuffle! is worth mentioning

When Kaeda's frustration finally bursted out against Asa... for a few seconds I thought she was strangling Asa to death. Talking about what you got from a (seemingly) harmless harem anime......

Of course, in this year, we have

Nice boat

7Th
2007-12-22, 01:24
Ashita no Joe's final episode, that one "first love" flying sequence in Only Yesterday and Nia's wedding and funeral.

HASHIRIYA
2007-12-22, 08:45
Saying this as an anime neophyte, there are too many to count. For starters:
Somewhere in Episode 20 or 21, where Ayu said she couldn't be with Yuichi anymore. It was the scene where she was continually digging at the ground looking for her angel...Can't exactly remember the details, but I'm marathoning Kanon during my ride to Massachusetts today.

been awhile and its a bit hazy but i thought the ending and the bit your on about was better portrayed in the first 13 ep series not the remake

GreatTeacherKen
2007-12-22, 14:58
pretty much all of episode 9 of Clannad qualifies for this topic.

Someone already mentioned the climax of the episode which is deeply moving especially with everything that came before it, so I'll mention another one:

Halfway into the episode, Nagisa and Tomoya remember Fuko after briefly forgetting about her. Once they remember her, Fuko instantly appears and reveals that she was always there standing next to them. The use of the BGM "The place where wishes come true" really makes this scene work not to mention and considering the nature of Fuko's plight, this scene gave a brief moment of hope. It was touching in a happy way, not as much as the end of the episode but still moving nonetheless

I also rather like this scene in GTO:

Tomoko's performance during the beauty pageant, in which she gives a speech about her feelings towards Miyabi albeit indirectly. I thought it was very heartwarming to see how much faith tomoko has in Miyabi, not to mention the scene is somewhat sad in a way. From this flashback that occurs in this scene, it becomes clear that Miyabi did not used to be the way she is currently. Indeed, it illustrates how far she has fallen.

capture
2007-12-22, 18:39
Episode 21 after they force Gil to retreat, when Shiro and Saber hug each other... epic dramatic scene plus the BG suit well

Shiori, where she and Yuuichi meets at the fountain...

Deathkillz
2007-12-22, 20:01
:eyebrow:
I'm really surprised that you noobs never mentioned..

AIR
Misuzu tries walks to her mother and when she reached her she said "GOAL!" then dies..

If you really wanna appreciate how dramatic it is,just watch the anime.You'll breakdown in tears..
...You reminded me...*feels depressed*

I've watched too many to name them all XD
Off the top of my head...

Gurren lagann
When kamina kicks the bucked and kittan going zomg GAR...really sad ;__;

Saikano
Has to be akemi's scene + when she is coughing up blood >_<

Myself;yourself
The letter box scene where nanaka breaksdown in sana's arms

Muddle!
2007-12-23, 16:25
Off the top of my head.

There where many great dramatic scenes in monster but I think the one that takes the cake for me is Grimmer's death. It was really sad watching him cry not about the fact he was dying, but over his long dead child.

In this series the most dramatic scene for me was the very final scene when Takemoto is leaving on the train, and he opens up Hagu's lunch she prepared for him to find the honey and four leaf clover sandwiches. I also really like the music in this scene quite a bit.

Millienium Actress

Pretty much the entire last act that I don't want to try to explain as I can't remember the names right now. :p

Kuu's "death" and Rakka's ensuing breakdown were pretty dramatic. Also when Rakka see's Reki off for her day of flight.

All of episode 16 especially after Takahashi dies and Asumi tries to explain how she feels to Lion-san at the hill with the finally blooming cherry blossom tree.

Most of the end of the movie after Chiaki saves her friends from death and leaves. Also their final scene together where he tells her to wait for him in the future.

In the last episode when Kino realizes that Sakura knew she was going to die if she stayed in the village, but decided to stay regardless as she didn't want to leave her family.

In episode ten after Yasako gives Haraken Kanna's diary that she unlocked, and while sitting on a bench we hear a voiceover of Kanna reading the diary talking about how she loved Haraken.

I'm sure I could think of many more moments but this post is already very long so I will end it here.

GreatTeacherKen
2007-12-23, 18:17
I just remembered some good ones from Rozen Maiden Ouverture. I felt so terrible for Sugintou after watching it.

The opening scene with the top half of Sugintou crawling and crying for Father. This scene was very well done and quite painful to see her crawling so pathetically.

Sugintou is sliced in half by Souseiseki revealing the fact that she's incomplete to Shinku and Souseiseki. Again, a scene that's quite painful to watch because of how well it's executed especially Sugintou's pathetic and pained screams as she is sucked into the ground afterwards. Kudos to Rie Tanaka for making this scene work.

ReizoSan
2007-12-23, 18:30
The Makoto part where she was dieing slowly and then the girl he keeps meeting outside when shes was near dieing and then the car crash which near killed nayaki's mum that was out of the blue, and also cant forget ayus arc :(.

The Way when they are trying to remember fuko and then they do and the part where is her party for the last time at the time i thought that was the last time you would see her again :(

Part about Nanaka's troublesome past and they way the story went was amazing and also the sound effects and flashbacks were very well done.

stelok
2008-01-28, 00:59
Another best dramatic scene in Anime is from Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru. I thought it was cool that Mizuho with Shion in her arms suddenly leaped forward in front of the audience and then sprinted out of the auditorium.

stelok
2008-02-15, 03:27
I loved the dramatic scene where Misaki calls the fleeing Black Reaper by his alias "Lee" and then he stops and responds, "The person you knew once as Lee no longer exists"

DieH@rd
2008-02-19, 19:36
Gankutsuou:
around ep18, when Count reveals his true intentions to Albert

Death Note:
last 5 min of ep25, damn...

_DaViD_
2008-02-19, 20:18
Kanon really killed me emotionally xD!
when makoto disappears and yuuichi is with her in the hill, damn! , but the one that really killed me was when he remembers that he never gave the diadem to Ayu and start crying

when kamina dies, i didnt cry but i was super shocked like WTF!!! , later Kittan's sacrifice with libera me from hell as BGM and the giga driller breaker = EPIC! and finally Nia's death when shes marrying simon i was like GAINAXXX Y_Y

when everybody starts to forget Fuko and when she finally meets her sister i was like Omg *cries*

qtipbrit
2008-02-19, 21:18
Ah, here's a handful:
I didn't really see Kamina's death as "dramatic", the fight he fought with his last breaths were, though. Also, obviously the deaths of the Dai Gurren Dan at the end of the series, and Nia's disappearance.Yeah, episode twelve.The scene with Chihiro and her diary. Stunning and dramatic.Pretty much the whole series, but particularly episode two (of course), Mitsuki leaving, and Takayuki and Mitsuki meeting up once again.Everything between Rika collapsing and Yuichi entering through the window and choosing her over his future.
I want to mention Kanon, and was thinking of mentioning Clannad, but they've been represented enough here.
And I will limit myself to five, though there are probably many, many other scenes that deserve to be here.

Veritas
2008-02-20, 01:25
In this series the most dramatic scene for me was the very final scene when Takemoto is leaving on the train, and he opens up Hagu's lunch she prepared for him to find the honey and four leaf clover sandwiches. I also really like the music in this scene quite a bit.

Seconded. I was blubbering like crazy during that scene.

SimounMamiina's speech to the Plumbum preistesses and ensuing death. I didn't cry, but that was truly awesome.

Princess Tutu The end of the first episode when Ahiru first turns into Tutu to save Mytho who just fell out of a window. The flowers, and the music, and the dancing all combined to create a perfect scene to set the tone for the series. Then, Episode 13, from Fakir's failed throwdown with Rue, and Tutu's solo Pas de Deux (Pas d'Une?), then her dance with Mytho while Edel burns. And in the last episode, when Ahiru dances for the mob even though she's just a duck, I really thought it was ridiculous, but it was really touching at the same time, thinking of all the effort she was putting into the one little thing she could do.

UzumakiW
2008-02-20, 04:47
I'm not currently sure what the most dramatic scene for me was, but the most recent one for me was

Asuna's death, but more of the reactions of everybody in her class and her friends got to me

Miko Miko
2008-02-21, 11:14
mm..

When Haruhiko has to say goodbye to Riko at the begining

and the middle of the anime when Riko falls in love with Haruhiko and Kirino feels left out and lonley.

I Cried. :upset: :)

Sirth
2008-02-21, 12:18
For me:

As with everyone, episode 12 as a whole. But I want to add on 11 at the beach. That was a really powerful scene.

End of Makoto's arc, like everyone else, along with Shiori (and the last episode with her.). Definitely Ayu made me a bit emotional, and the whole ending to the episode with the car crash. Best use of slow motion I've seen yet right before they mention it.

Luciola's death, Alex's death.

But to top it all off...
Chihiro's ripping of the diary, and her reunion afterwards with Renji. Still makes me emotional every time I think about it, mostly because of the theme built around her breaking.

heomap
2008-02-27, 23:38
This was very Dramatic

When Shinichrio found out Hiromi might be his sister

Laconitolatina
2008-02-27, 23:48
Boys Over Flowers

Laconitolatina
2008-02-27, 23:49
Boys Over Flowers

When tsukushi is kidnapped by these thugs that want to get back at tsukasa for what he did to them so they use tsukushi to lure him and when he finnally comes they threaten to hurt tsukushi if he doesnt let them beat him up with out him fighting back. Tsukasa loving tsukushi just stands there and takes there punches and kicks! IT WAS SO SAD and ROMANTIC and JUST SO DRAMATIC I LOVED IT it was so sweet of him to do that for her T^T

The Chaos
2008-02-28, 06:57
^ I Loved The Scenes In Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) Too..:love:

Amray
2008-02-28, 07:22
Absolutely Loads on X Clamp. The beautiful main theme always came up on them and just made them more amazing.

When the girl who is being bullied is about to commit suicide and jumps off that building, and Ai appears next to her as she is falling and takes her to the other realm for a lecture about using the Hell Correspondents.

KholdStare
2008-02-29, 22:37
Cardcaptor Sakura, episode 67, in the park, when Sakura turns to Syaoran instead of Tomoyo for comfort. That scene was just...wow, so cute but sad at the same time...very sad and pitiful for both characters.

r0cawearz
2008-02-29, 22:52
Definitely Kanon

Almost Every part was so dramatic. When makoto was slowly dying, I was really hoping inside that she would still be alive because of how well the voice actor of Yuuichi. It sounded so hopeless, but yet he kept trying and trying as if he was about to breakdown.

Also when the car crash incident, made me go "wow" for 5 minutes. When Ayu falls off the tree, it was also very unexpecting and as was when she suddenly disappears while they were searching for the item.

During Kamina's death, I'd not expect one of the main characters to die so early. If they kept it at him dying before he finishes that guy, it would have looked like he might die, but they made it that he comes back out of nowhere and kicks some ass, but then in the end, he died. Usually, you'd never expect someone who was half dead, but regains power yet dies afterall, such as many near-death cases in Naruto/Bleach. It left me thinking for awhile, is he REALLY REALLY dead, or was it just my imagination?

BearShare
2008-02-29, 22:59
Gungrave

Agreed. Seconded.

KholdStare
2008-02-29, 23:07
Almost Every part was so dramatic. When makoto was slowly dying, I was really hoping inside that she would still be alive because of how well the voice actor of Yuuichi. It sounded so hopeless, but yet he kept trying and trying as if he was about to breakdown.

Also when the car crash incident, made me go "wow" for 5 minutes. When Ayu falls off the tree, it was also very unexpecting and as was when she suddenly disappears while they were searching for the item.

I am guilty for being apathetic in Makoto's arc, because personally I thought it was really boring. When Makoto was dying, I still haven't put together that she was a fox yet, nor that she was not really alive. I was still in the "what's going on" mode when Makoto lay down beside Yuichi, so it was quite uneventful. It's sad, I know. (pun intended)

Luckily I felt the drama from the other less obscure scenes of the series, such as Shiori's arc and the car accident. I vaguely remember liking Ayu's arc a lot also, even though I also had a "what's going on" moment when they suddenly kissed out of the blue.

w00tness
2008-03-01, 07:09
1) Miya's phone messages. Her calm self slowly getting more and more frantic and finally breaking down with the screen slowly being erased in the end... The fact that there was practically no character animation in the whole scene shows just how good her seiyuu is.

2) Miya and Hiro's countdown public phone chat. Once again, no character animation, but amazing directing and voice acting! Where in the beginning they talk calmly but slowly build up emotion, and that beep at the climax followed by the whole screen turning grey symbolizing hopelessness. Great scene.

3) Last but not least, this scene is the best in fact, imho. Chihiro's monologue as she writes her final page of her diary, followed by her carefully pinching the pages she wanted to tear and then tearing it all out with one fell pull... I was "Noooo dont do it!!!!" all the way :'(

Kaioshin Sama
2008-03-01, 14:07
The scene leading up to Louise showing Saji her amputated arm and the aftermath may be one of the best dramatic scenes I've seen in recent memory

Blizzer
2008-03-01, 15:02
The scene leading up to Louise showing Saji her amputated arm and the aftermath may be one of the best dramatic scenes I've seen in recent memory

I thought it was incredibly well done as well, with a planned twist in the story like that they need to be skilled at evoking the watcher's emotions, I usually lol at anime that try too hard to pull the hearstrings but even I felt a little for Saji.

The saddest and most dramatic scene, for me, I can remember is probably from Utawarerumono.

When the old man from the village dies after the battle and Aruru refuses to accept he is dead.

Utawar is not the greatest anime but they get the emotional parts right.

mcruz1014
2008-03-02, 21:40
This was very Dramatic

When Shinichrio found out Hiromi might be his sister

Seconded. True Tears is my favorite ongoing show at the moment, and its chock full of great dramatic moments.

When Shinichiro overhears Hiromi's conversation with her friend. Hiromi says that she likes Jun instead of Shin. This scene has been done millions of times before in anime, but the facial expressions made it better than all the rest.

Also, since I started this thread for mainly subtle moments in shows, True Tears has one of the best I have seen in a while.

When Jun straps on Noe's helmet and contemplates stroking her neck, but pulls his hand back. The implications made in the blink-and-you-miss-it scene were huge.

Trogdor Jube
2008-03-02, 22:00
Death Note

Potato chip eating, writing in a notebook, you name it, every episode has something overly dramatic.

Irvine
2008-03-02, 22:10
First one is where Shu slaps Sarah when she tries to kill her unborn baby.

Second would be one of the ending scenes where Shu beats the crap out of King Hamdo.

I also agree with the Gungrave scenes.

Seriost
2008-03-03, 13:30
I love the moment in NGE episode 24 when Shinji has to kill Kaori:(
and I also think NGE is the most dramatic manga/anime overall

qtipbrit
2008-03-03, 22:02
Mm... spoiler tags would be nice:
I love the moment in NGE episode 24 when...
becomes
I love the moment in NGE episode 24 when...
And I will have to quickly disagree with your last statement. :)

EternallyLost02
2008-03-09, 14:00
In the last episode when Kino realizes that Sakura knew she was going to die if she stayed in the village, but decided to stay regardless as she didn't want to leave her family.

Definately, makes me tear up every time. To see a cool headed character as Kino in total horrific shock adds a lot to the scene before that too. Hermes calmly describing the action as Kino watches unable to move or speak...

another one fore me is the first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho (so hardly a spoiler) At yusuke's wake and when the little boy he saved gives his little monolouge about wanting to come over and play with his 'big brother' when he wakes up... to be able to invoke such emotion in the first episode of the show is impressive.

Skane
2008-03-09, 15:40
Man... the way this thread is heading, the title might as well be "Best Tragic Scenes"... :heh: Time to inject a little sunshine here. Drama need not always be gloom and doom, you know. :p

It's hard for me to single out ONE scene as being the best, as there has been many, many dramatic scenes which struck a chord within me; usually for varying reasons, so as such, each having their own unique merits.

I'll start off with some scenes from my personal No.1 anime, Futakoi Alternative.

When Rentarou declared to Sara openly that they had to be a threesome. Followed by freefalling into a biplane, missile-hopping, kicking a giant mutant squid, and saving the world. :D
Rentarou's father finally seeing him as a man in a very metaphorical (and symbolic) scene.
Rentarou asking his father why he and his mother separated if he loved her so much, in a flashback. Very powerful scene here, as it parallels Rentarou's present dilemma and sets in motion the final decision that Rentarou would make.
Rentarou having an epiphany when he sees Soujyu's "compassion money", realising what a useless bum he has been, angry at himself for having a young girl point it out to him, and lighting the fuels of GAR within himself that would eventually blaze fiercely into the epic ending of this series. Too bad for the dog though. :heh:
Cheers.

Dante80
2008-03-10, 02:23
For me it would be NTHT.

The start of episode 6. Sarah is sent to yet another of her rapists. She kills him, wears his clothes and escapes. Then, outside Hellywood, she strips, cuts her hair and runs screaming into the desert. This scene is unsurpassed by anything I have seen yet in the drama genre.

Notable mention for EF eps7 too.

james0246
2008-03-10, 02:38
Second any Now and Then, Here and There scenes mentioned.

I wouldn't really call this scene the best dramatic scene I have ever seen, but it is definetely the best in this particular series (and hey I wanted to spread some Shounen pride around these parts :D). The series is One Piece and the scene is

Merry's death. This is a very poignant scene in which the Strawhat Pirate's (the main characters) boat dies. That is right their boat dies. This is one of the few times that I have ever been moved by the death of an inanimate object, but the death of Merry was like the death of a crew member.

As Merry dies (via a Viking style funeral ), a gentle snow falls, and each of the characters has a flashback to the exciting times and adventures they had on their former ship and friend. Finally, the ship finshes burning and slowly receeds into the sea, and a farewell is heard by the Strawhat Crew. A truly moving moment from a very strong adventure-action series.

oompa loompa
2008-03-11, 10:53
shuffle!.. when

kaede comes out of the shower, and goes to rin.. as well as the ' PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE BETTER OFF DEAD ' scene with asa :D

the anime isnt really, but these two scenes really stick out

another scene, it isnt really soo dramatic, but one of my favorite anime scenes ever - but i think one of the best scenes

rurouni kenshin

soujiro - 'but is it so bad to be weak? i killed people, but it wasnt really what i wanted.. i was smiling that night.. but in reality.. in reality ' then in text * in reality i was crying *

and the scene that follows after that - extremely well done scene, loved how they used the text

Skane
2008-03-11, 11:04
Ah... just thought of a very good one, from Pale Cocoon. :) The entire build-up to the revelation scene is very, very powerful since the pieces start falling together smoothly, and the pay-off is very, very philosophical.

Cheers.

TinyRedLeaf
2008-03-12, 08:07
There are far too many for me to name. A shortlist of my favourite dramatic scenes in anime:

Reki took a leap of faith, and cried out for Rakka to save her from committing suicide.

Five-year-old (?) Setsuko burying fireflies ("why do fireflies die so young?"), as she imagined her mother would have been buried (her brother had not told her that their mother had died, but she had guessed the truth on her own).

Setsuko offering "sweets" to her brother just before she died. Except that those weren't sweets - delirious from hunger, she had been sucking coloured stones that looked like sweets.

The epilogue was superb. But the real clincher was the prologue. Three young women selflessly sacrificed their lives in a hopeless attempt to save young Kenshin's life, a boy whom they had met only the day before. The last woman pleaded him to live, for he was too young to die.

The prologue never fails to make me blubber like a little girl. :upset:

The boar gods plunging headlong into a war that they had lost before it had even begun, in the proud but foolhardy attempt give the humans a "battle they would not soon forget".

The final fist-fight between Porco and Curtis. Completely comical, and yet endearingly heroic at the same time.

Fio's sly reference to Gina's bet at the end of the movie, telling us that the outcome will forever remain "their little secret".

Therru's song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufvPtlPlxMM).

The song was filled with an aching sense of loneliness and compassion that perfectly encapsulated Therru's character.

The Sylvanas shot down the Mastro's flagship under Sophia's orders. As a result, she unintentionally killed Alex Rowe, Captain of the Sylvanas, and the man she loved.

Takaki and Akari walking past each other at a railway crossing, years after they had separated as love-lorn teenagers. Takaki waiting to confirm that it was Akari, but when the trains had passed, she was no longer there.

Man... the way this thread is heading, the title might as well be "Best Tragic Scenes"...

Sarah McLachlan (http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/) ("Angel"), a singer well-known for her haunting, melancholic songs, once said she found tragedy "beautiful". She couldn't explain why — it just was. I feel the same way. :heh:

Tier3
2008-03-15, 18:29
Evangelion

When eva01 is eating the angel

There was just something about that scene...

KholdStare
2008-03-15, 19:51
Reki took a leap of faith, and cried out for Rakka to save her from committing suicide.

Five-year-old (?) Setsuko burying fireflies ("why do fireflies die so young?"), as she imagined her mother would have been buried (her brother had not told her that their mother had died, but she had guessed the truth on her own).

Setsuko offering "sweets" to her brother just before she died. Except that those weren't sweets - delirious from hunger, she had been sucking coloured stones that looked like sweets.

The epilogue was superb. But the real clincher was the prologue. Three young women selflessly sacrificed their lives in a hopeless attempt to save young Kenshin's life, a boy whom they had met only the day before. The last woman pleaded him to live, for he was too young to die.

The prologue never fails to make me blubber like a little girl. :upset:

Takaki and Akari walking past each other at a railway crossing, years after they had separated as love-lorn teenagers. Takaki waiting to confirm that it was Akari, but when the trains had passed, she was no longer there.

I agree with those. They're all depressing, yet beautiful. All of those anime are my favorites also. :)

And even though it has been mentioned a lot of times, I still think this is one of the most dramatic scenes ever:

The scene with Shuji at Akemi's death bed when she confessed her love was very moving...and shocking. The blood and bandages just adds to the horror as one realizes how terrifying war on the home front could be. For those who argue about what is more dramatic, romance or the loss of someone close to you...well, both really, as shown by this scene.

Deus ex Digital Boy
2008-03-16, 02:11
All aforementioned scenes from ef and more. Just pretty much all of ef. Best goddamn drama ever. Also seconding certain Gankutsuou scenes. And Haibane Renmei and Kino scenes.

Kare Kano When the pair are called into the principal's office to discuss their grades and they pretty much flat-out tell him that there are some things more important than school. Kick-ass rebeliousness

Can't believe no one mentioned...

Serial Experiments Lain Several scenes. The part where Lain meets her friends and another version of herself splits off and goes with them while she is tormented by Dark Lain. Also when all the girls in school are staring at her wherever she goes. Finally, the final episodes with her and Alice defending against the so-called god of the wired. Actually, just her on the bed covered in wires is a more dramatic image than most things I've ever seen haha.

Eureka Seven So many scenes. When Renton destroyed the other mech and found himsel covered in blood and limbs. Any of the scenes involving Renton's parental characters and their terrifying deaths. One that almost made me cry is when the oldest of Eureka's kids was pointing the rifle at Renton.

R.O.D. the TV The scene where Anita says goodbye to her potential love interest remains one of my favorite dramatic and lol yuri moments from anime. I wouldn't be surprised if that scene was how I first got interested in yuri.

Hitohira the scene where Mugi and Nono stand on the bridge and Mugi pours her heart out to Nono who tells her simply to 'meet me on the other side of that bridge once you've grown up'. there was a LOT of drama in this show but that scene was genuinely moving.

Martian Successor Nadesico reaction to the death of Gai Daigoji and the later death of the Martian guy. Both great characters shot down in their prime.

NHK ni Youkoso The scene where Yamazaki and Satou declare all women terrible, the dramatic near-suicides on the cliff halfway through, the scene where Yamazaki breaks it off with his potential girlfriend, the snowball fight between him and Satou, and the ending on the cliff.

Simoun Pretty much everything. Lots of great dramatic moments throughout.

Maria-sama ga Miteru, uh, same as above, lol.

Mai-HiME holy fucking shit. This was like the ultimate shit and fan collision drama. Just about everything from the point where everyone starts getting picked off was amazing.

Revolutionary Girl Utena The last episode was good drama, but even better was when Anthy tried to jump off of the tower and Utena clang to her with all her strength. It came out of nowhere but was powerful.

Black Lagoon First, the scene in the German sub where we learn Revy's backstory, and the absolutely brilliant episode 7 with some amazing dialog between Rock and Revy. There was also the scene at the end of the vampire twins arc which was both fucked up, disturbing, and utterly memorable in the way of purely disturbing and lost-faith-in-humanity logic. Also, some parts in the last arc.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Someone mentioned 01 eating the angel which was great, but I was always the most affected by 01 tearing 04 to fucking shreds in episode 18. Ridiculously brutal.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo I can't remember the movie too well, but the scene where she was depressed was one I recall being gripping and heart-wrenching.

And now, possibly the most memorable...

Legend of Black Heaven the hopelessness that permeated these last couple episodes left me in total despair and it looked like things could only go wrong at the end, but when the main character's wife came in with the whole town at her side at the end it was one of the most magical scenes in anime history. Truly beautiful.

-KarumA-
2008-03-17, 17:49
I love the moment in NGE episode 24 when Shinji has to kill Kaori:(
and I also think NGE is the most dramatic manga/anime overall

agree and these two as well

* when Asuka is killing off the last couple of Eva Series, hets the Longinus spear through her head and eventually gets ripped apart and spiced byt he spears.. her constant whispering "I'll kill you" gives me the creeps

* and when Shinji strangles Asuka, that's when Komm, susser Tod starts playing.. everythign that follows the death of the world etc. is so teary and dramatic

Tier3
2008-03-17, 23:24
Here's a recent one for me from a series I just finished: Gantz:

When koruno finally realized Kishimoto chose Kato... And then kishimoto dies... that was like a double killer for koruno. The thing... seeing him fall in love with her and her (maybe) in love with him (arguably... of course) and they couldnt even settle their differences before the end. It was just sad and dramatic... First time an Anime actually pissed me off.

oompa loompa
2008-03-30, 12:30
vash killing legato. most wonderful episode/scene of the entire show.. follow up episode was wonderful as well.

Shinbou
2008-03-30, 12:42
Mahou sensei negima

Where asuna knows that she's about to die: Teary eyes
Where asuna is dying: Tears flowing
Where asuna is gone and everybody is crying: Tears are flowing badly and getting emotional all over

I watched that part the second time and the same thing happend again.

KholdStare
2008-03-30, 12:53
When Fate meets with Alicia in her dreams...

mcruz1014
2008-03-30, 13:51
When Shin starts to sing the song that Noe was always singing as she walks back to the hospital.

Spike returns to the Bebop after Julia's death for a sort of last meal with Jet. Faye then attempts to stop Spike from leaving the Bebop to fight Vicious.

Skane
2008-03-30, 15:15
GaoGaiGar FINAL

When Mamoru's clone destroys ChoRyuJin, triggering Gai's batshit-insane emotionally-driven beatdown counterattack.Cheers. :D

Claude
2008-03-30, 20:45
Asuka's last stand against the 9 Evas.

devildog23
2008-03-31, 01:10
THAT scene of The End of Evangelion:

The third impact, when Komm, Süsser Tod is played.
It was dramatic and beautiful at the same time, so much that I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh. By far my favorite scene of all time.

^Second that...The music surprisingly fit the scene perfectly lol

Xellos
2008-03-31, 13:21
The whole Asuka section starting from her in the lake with her Eva and ending with her getting gutted by the MP Evas. I've never seen another sequence that wonderfully captures such a broad spectrum of emotions and putting them to action.

Last episode of season 1 where Shana uses Tenpa Jyousai. The frankness of Yuji and Shana were pretty touching, especially considering all the waffling about emotions in the previous episodes. The actual animation and music were well done too.

It was mentioned earlier, but I have to agree with the Kanata reminiscence. Konata's dad saying how he loved her and looking straight at her ghost was heart breaking.

The infamous Kyon x Haruhi kiss scene. Epic music + Kyon's ponytail fetish confession + Haruhi's vulnerable expression = win.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm also just starting to watch Gurren Lagann and Rozen Maiden, so I'll probably add a few in the near future.

Kaioshin Sama
2008-03-31, 19:23
In recent memory:

Lockon's Final Monologue.

Skane
2008-04-01, 01:36
GaoGaiGar FINAL

When Mamoru's clone destroys ChoRyuJin, triggering Gai's batshit-insane emotionally-driven beatdown counterattack.Cheers. :D
Now with video-link. Gotta love the emo-facial distortions in this one. :D

ZpVjS7SQXRYCheers. :D

mcruz1014
2008-04-02, 16:15
When Mao angrily confesses her love to Kouichi. Different from most confession scenes, but is definitely emotional. Great scene.

Don_Don_Kun
2008-04-02, 16:43
When Keiichi murders Rena and Mion in ep.4 because he thinks that they were trying to kill him. He begins to shed tears uncontrollably even though he can't understand why his two best friends would want to kill him. In reality though, Rena and Mion were trying to help him, but his growing paranoia made him hallucinate the events.

I suppose this may be more tragic than dramatic, but it was still a major scene for me

siber222000
2008-04-02, 18:17
i loved clannad kotomi's and fuko's arc... like how when fuko was finally able to see her sister again... and how kotomi parents present for kotomi traveled all over the world until it reached kotomi... omg it was so wonderful... T_T

Ironalchemist
2008-04-04, 14:50
As Gatts in total rage faced Griffith at the climax of the eclipse as he raped casca in his face to spite him, was extremeley dramatic.