PDA

View Full Version : International Saimoe League 2008 - The Best of the Best

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

minhtam1638
2008-01-12, 23:34
UPDATE: DECEMBER 6, 2008
The International Saimoe League has concluded its 2008 season and plans for 2009 are already underway. If you would like to look back at the 2008 season, please read on until the end.

The 2009 thread will be started sometime during the Christmas Season.

UPDATE: APRIL 10, 2008

Saimo - a word that can be divided into two parts: the former, meaning ultimate, and the latter, derived from the verb "moeru", to burn with passion.

Since 2002, the Saimoe contest generated beautiful battles, as thousands of anime-lovers around the world gave their all to ensure that their favorite girl will win. This prestigious battle has long since defined the term "mo". Champions from young girls emerged, and they gave way to glory. In 2006, this prestigious contest became even more prestigious, expanding from the land of the Rising Sun to lands from the four corners of the world. Not only did Japan garner attention, but so did Korea, and for the past couple of years, the contest has become unique, one of a kind contest that has long since given attention to names - names that will be inscribed in Saimoe history forever.

However, Saimoe tournaments of Korea and Japan have also received much criticism from the disappointed. The single-elimination tournaments held in Japan and Korea were decided at random, and while only the best were able to enter, randomized pairings shattered dreams of many, and raised hopes for others. In the end, only the best of all girls survived.

Now, it is time for the innovation, the experience and the glory of the new age. 64 have been chosen to take part in the first round robin league, where the top 16 girls will move on to the double-elimination tournament for one of the most prestigious titles in the world. Now, 63 matches await each. All that is left now is to do battle. With a immensely elite field, many questions remain to be answered.

Is Clannad the new dominance in Saimo, or does that feat still belong to Hayate no Gotoku?

Can old-timer Cardcaptor Sakura actually compete with the new girls?

Could Haruhi Suzumiya finally get that elusive Saimo tiara, or will China champion Konata Izumi stop her very idol?

Will Suiseiseki bring Rozen Maiden back from the void to win her third title, or will Shana join her greatest rival as a multi-champion?

All that remains to be answered. And it all begins here.

International Saimoe League 2008
Where watching anime can make a difference. (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/)

This is the first year we're running this special event! Now go make a difference!

We are currently looking for help to run this league, such as technical support (resume required), character profile writers, and especially translators, namely, translators fluent in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. If anyone is interested, PM me or e-mail me at hendrickfan66@yahoo.com.

Various AnimeSuki members have agreed to help out with the character profiles. Profile pics are still out there, so if you want to help out, qtipbrit92 has left psd instructions on how to do them. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1489106&postcount=477)

Biographies: Psieye and Cytrus
Saimoe Histories: minhtam2448
Schedules: Completed

Profile Pics

Note that blue means complete.

1. Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
5. Fate Testarossa (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
8. Nagi Sanzenin (Hayate no Gotoku)
9. Rin Tohsaka (Fate/Stay Night)
10. Shinku (Rozen Maiden)
13. Rika Furude (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
14. C.C. (Code Geass)
16. Eruruu (Utawarerumono)
17. Rena Ryuguu (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
18. Tamaki Kousaka (ToHeart 2)
19. Chikaru Minamoto (Strawberry Panic!)
20. Nanoha Takamachi (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
21. Tsukasa Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
22. Mikuru Asahina (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
23. Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
24. Louise Francoise (Zero no Tsukaima)
25. Konata Izumi (Lucky Star)
26. Nayuki Minase (Kanon 2006)
27. Souseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
28. Konoka Konoe (Negima!?)
29. Aruruu (Utawarerumono)
30. Evangeline (Negima!?)
31. Alice Caroll (Aria)
32. Sakura Matou (Fate/Stay Night)
33. Mion Sonozaki (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
34. Tsuruya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
35. Touka (Utawarerumono)
36. Yuno (Hidamari Sketch)
37. Ayumu Nishizawa (Hayate no Gotoku)
38. Nodoka Miyazaki (Negima!?)
39. Tamao Suzumi (Strawberry Panic!)
41. Konomi Yuzuhara (ToHeart 2)
42. Vita (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
43. Sayuri Kurata (Kanon 2006)
44. Yue Ayase (Negima!?)
45. Yuri Hitotsubashi (Kamichu!)
46. Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicles)
47. Kyon's Sister (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
48. Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
50. Horo (Spice and Wolf)
51. Saber (Fate/Stay Night)
52. Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)
53. Setsuna Sakurazaki (Negima!)
54. Tomoyo Sakuragami (Clannad)
55. Sakura Kinamoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
56. Hanyuu (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
57. Fuko Ibuki (Clannad)
58. Ayu Tsukimiya (Kanon)
59. Matsuri Shihou (Sola)
60. Ryou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
61. Shiori Misaka (Kanon)
62. Tamaki Kawazoe (Bamboo Blade)
63. Chiaki Minami (Minami-ke)
64. Kiri Komori (Zayonara Zetsubou Sensei)

Completed profiles
Eri Sawachika (SR) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/eri.html)
Haruhi Suzumiya (SHnY) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/haruhi.html)
Hinagiku Katsura (HnG) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/hinagiku.html)
Kotomi Ichinose (CL) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/kotomi.html)
Mai Kawasumi (KN) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/mai.html)
Maria (HnG) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/maria.html)
Shana (SnS) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/shana.html)
Suigintou (RM) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/suigintou.html)
Teletha Testarossa (FMP) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/teletha.html)
Yuki Nagato (SHnY) (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/yuki.html)

By the way, by moderator rules, there have been some additional rules for this particular thread.

General Rules:
Absolutely no campaign posts allowed.
This includes posts containing ANY campaign verbiage whether in whole or in part. Contributing to the debate is encouraged, provided you do NOT add "VOTE ABCD!!!" (or similar to the post itself). Simply rebutting another's post or opinion with "XYZ sucks" is totally unacceptable.
To be clear:
Please do not create a post with the sole purpose to campaign for a character!
Do not add “VOTE FOR XYZ CHARACTER!!” anywhere in your post even if the intent isn't to purely campaign.
We want intelligent, decent and fun discussions about the weekly Rounds and the subsequent winners & losers.
No Image campaigning.
Do not create a post with an image or collage representation of a campaign poster. In other words: a PhotoShopped image of the character you want people to vote for with “vote for” text added to it.
Posting Etiquette:
Please do not cross post information about this tournament in other AnimeSuki threads.
Keep all Anime Saimoe Tournament posts, campaigns, character information, voting links, etc., within this thread only or in your signature (signature size limits still apply).
No "meta-posting".
Meaning: posting about another poster, the thread or about another post itself, is forbidden and will be deleted on-the-spot, regardless of intention. If you want to comment about another poster that’s off-topic and/or personal, send them a PM.
Any flame-baiting will be deleted and those people banned.
Please keep the thread positive, fun and clean. If your choice doesn’t win the Round and you can’t discuss the fact without complaining, swearing and baiting people into arguments, then don’t post.
Do not create image only posts.
You can, however, include an image with your discussion. If you want to visually support the character you’re voting for then please do so in the context of your original discussion and use only one or two images. We would encourage the use of “thumbnails” if possible (and please, no large images). PM the mods if you need help with posting thumbnail images.This thread has been approved by Klashikari

minhtam1638
2008-01-13, 17:31
I guess there's a whole month to wait now....

A whole month to spread the news. Since this is the first year that we are doing this, I am interested in how this plays out as well. I hope to get a turnout of 500 voters at least, and if it does reach 3000, hello success! That being said, here were my nominations before I released the nomination forms:

5 - Ayu Tsukimiya (Kanon) - I was looking at some previous statistics from Saimoe and Korea Best Moe 2007 as research for character profiles, and if there were any contestants with the potential to make some success, it has to be Ayu, hands down. She alone has garnered a lot of attention outside of Kanon, being referred to by many references. She had the potential to reach at least the top 16, which was the initial qualifier for this tournament, and was shot down by Eruruu by only 46 votes in Saimoe's second round. A bad drawing in Korea also kept her out of it, as she was beaten by the one and only Suiseiseki by only 84 votes. Ayu is the only girl not in this tournament that has lost to Suiseiseki by less than 200 votes. Therefore, she NEEDS to get in this.

4 - Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) - Sorry, I got hit by a trance spell. She's just so moe...

3 - Saber (Fate/Stay Night) - Being that this is an international league, I do kind of feel guilty for leaving China's Saimoe out of this. However, due to lack of international participation, I could not include China's Saimoe to qualify here. Because Saber finished in the top 4, I thought I might as well give her some recognition.

2 - Runa Edomae (Seto no Hanayome) - She's not well known to me personally, since I really never see her in action given I have never watched this series, but she did beat eventual Korea champion Hinagiku Katsura by only 29, and also competed intensely with '05 Japan Champ Nanoha Takamichi before losing by 44. That's enough potential to get her into this league.

1 - Sakura Kinamoto (Cardcaptor Sakura) - '02 champ. Started off Saimoe history. I think she needs to get in as well.

Jaden
2008-01-13, 19:50
Okay, let's do this...

5 pts- Aaeru (Simoun). This is the longest shot of my nominations, so I'll give her the most points.

4 pts- Ayano Kannagi (Kaze no Stigma). Out of all pyro girls (personal fetish of mine) she has the best chances. Go Ayano!

3 pts- Shion Yasuoka (Shion no Ou).

2 pts- Chika Ogiue (Genshiken). These two have two forms of unexplainable charm. I'll nominate 'em for originality's sake.

1 pt- Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad). Can't ignore the ever-perfect KyoAni works, no matter how overpopular they are. Here's to my favourite Clannad girl.

alphastickmania
2008-01-13, 21:46
Ok... I nominated...

5 - Nagisa / Clannad

4 - Kyou / Clannad

3 - Kotomi / Clannad

2 - Suzu / Nagasarete Airantou

1 - Mei Mei / Nagasarete Airantou

I voted like that because I did not want to use thinking power. I liked those characters anyway so random pick. XD

Btw, minhtam2448, browser issue. I used Firefox to look up the site and it's alright. So no more problems there. (wtf, IE7)

DarkBelerofonte
2008-01-13, 22:12
5 Points Sakura Kinomoto Card Captor Sakura
What else can i say? it's Sakura... Kawaii...

4 Points Kagami Hiiragi Lucky Star

3 Points Mikuru Asahina Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

2 Points Ayu Tsukimiya Kanon (2006)

1 Points Kyou Fujibayashi Clannad

4 out 5 from KyoAni :p

minhtam1638
2008-01-13, 22:19
5 Points Sakura Kinomoto Card Captor Sakura
What else can i say? it's Sakura... Kawaii...

4 Points Kagami Hiiragi Lucky Star

3 Points Mikuru Asahina Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

2 Points Ayu Tsukimiya Kanon (2006)

1 Points Kyou Fujibayashi Clannad

4 out 5 from KyoAni :p

Edited my first post to include a third rule... I knew I forgot something.

Kagami Hiiragi and Mikuru Asahina are dead nominations, since both characters have already qualified in this tournament via a top 16 finish in the Korea tournaments. I'm looking at the nomination results right now, so if you re-submit with the same IP address, I'll fill in the 4 and 3 points for you.

Btw, minhtam2448, browser issue. I used Firefox to look up the site and it's alright. So no more problems there. (wtf, IE7)

First rule of the internet: NEVER use Internet Explorer! But thanks for telling me. I'll make a note of that on the website so people won't have any problems.

tripperazn
2008-01-13, 22:25
5 - Nagisa / Clannad

4 - Kyou / Clannad

3 - Kallen Stadtfeld / Code Geass

2 - Sonozaki Shion / Higurashi

1 - Saber / Fate/Stay Night

Liddo-kun
2008-01-14, 03:29
@Mintham

Grats, your efforts paid off. :)

here's my list of nominations:

5 pts - Asami Hoshino (Myself; Yourself)
4 pts - Nanaka Yatsushiro (Myself; Yourself)
3 pts - Matsuri Shihou (sola)
2 pts - Aono Morimiya (sola)
1 pt. - Ayu Tsukimiya (Kanon 2006)

minhtam1638
2008-01-14, 04:17
@Mintham

Grats, your efforts paid off. :)

here's my list of nominations:

5 pts - Asami Hoshino (Myself; Yourself)
4 pts - Nanaka Yatsushiro (Myself; Yourself)
3 pts - Matsuri Shihou (sola)
2 pts - Aono Morimiya (sola)
1 pt. - Ayu Tsukimiya (Kanon 2006)

Whoa, now, the nominations have started and are stable right now (60 nominations so far), but I still have a lot of work to do, i.e. character profiles, forum administrating, writing out the rules, making sure everything is stable, stuff like that. I hope to have the website complete by the end of February.

Kinohara
2008-01-14, 04:20
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3511/saimoenv6.jpg

Khaos
2008-01-14, 04:56
http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08031/saimoe597.jpg (http://xs.to)

alphastickmania
2008-01-14, 05:54
Whoa, now, the nominations have started and are stable right now (60 nominations so far), but I still have a lot of work to do, i.e. character profiles, forum administrating, writing out the rules, making sure everything is stable, stuff like that. I hope to have the website complete by the end of February.

Get more help. ^^

Cytrus
2008-01-14, 05:54
Minhtam2448, try notifying anime blog owners about this. They have the best means to let the news spread.

5. Yutaka Kobayakawa - LS
4. Shiori Misaka - Kanon
3. Sora Kajiwara - Sketchbook
2. Osaka (Ayumu Kasuga) - AZ
1. Hanyuu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

It will be fun when the unbreakable oldies, like Sakura, hit the table. Looking forward to this tournament.

minhtam1638
2008-01-14, 06:48
Get more help. ^^

Personally, I'm trying. Somebody in the ISML forums who signed up PMed me for a moderator job.

Minhtam2448, try notifying anime blog owners about this. They have the best means to let the news spread.

5. Yutaka Kobayakawa - LS
4. Shiori Misaka - Kanon
3. Sora Kajiwara - Sketchbook
2. Osaka (Ayumu Kasuga) - AZ
1. Hanyuu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

It will be fun when the unbreakable oldies, like Sakura, hit the table. Looking forward to this tournament.

That was what was suggested by Psieye and company when they tried to plan an International Saimoe. I'll look around to see if I can find any. Of course, if you know some, PM me.

EDIT: Alright, I've contacted five. Let's see if they spread the word.

And personally, I want to see Sakura vs. Suiseiseki myself. Not only that, but her parallel self, Tsubasa Chronicle's Sakura, already initially qualified. The young meet the old.

Oh, and one more thing, if you have been following the Anime Saimoe 2007 Tournament Proper thread in the last few weeks, you knew that I was holding off character profiles until the nomination form was set up. As it turns out, I'm back to writing them. Fate Testarossa's profile is finished, as is her individual schedule.

Sheba
2008-01-14, 06:54
5 pts - Hanyuu (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai)
4 pts - Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
3 pts - Haruka Minami (Minami-ke)
2 pts - Matsuri Shihou (sola)
1 pt. - Chiaki Minami (Minami-ke)

Cheezy
2008-01-14, 10:27
5 pts - Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad)
4 pts - Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
3 pts - Saber (Fate/Stay Night)
2 pts - Chiaki Minami (Minami-ke)
1 pt. - Hanyuu (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni)

Psieye
2008-01-14, 11:51
Been a few days since I nominated. Lessee... it was... Aono, Ayasaki Hermione (aka Hayate), Guchiko, Hanyuu and... forgot the 5th one. My Moe Radar is currently pointing towards RosenKreuzStilette and Touhou, so it's been hard to think of anime characters.

Sakura_Kinomoto
2008-01-14, 12:00
5 pts- Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura) -easily the most kawaii character ever
4 pts- Tomoyo Daidōji (cardcaptor Sakura)
3 pts- Kaede Fuyou (Shuffle!)
2 pts- Ama Shigure (Shuffle!)
1 pt- Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)

Drakarst
2008-01-14, 12:33
5 pts - Soryu Asuka Langley (Evangelion)
4 pts - Ichinose Kotomi (Clannad)
3 pts - Kuwahara Sayako (Bamboo Blade)
2 pts - Kawazoe Tamaki (Bamboo Blade)
1 pt - Chidori Kaname (Full Metal Panic)

Claymore_Obsessed
2008-01-14, 12:44
5 - Kasuga Ayumu (Osaka) - Azumanga Daioh
4 - Rei Ayanami - Neon Genesis Evangelion
3 - Lina Inverse- Slayers
2 - Naga The Serpent - Slayers
1 - Excel - Excel Saga

Doomfox
2008-01-14, 12:45
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6872/pic01vx5.jpg

minhtam1638
2008-01-14, 15:37
For those of you who visited the ISML forum board but had trouble with posting, I have fixed the problem, so you should post there without any problem.

EDIT: Yuki Nagato's profile is finished, and her individual schedule is released. And personally, I apologize to Yuki for giving her tough matches early. Shown here.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/yukischedule.jpg

Just so you know, if an individual contestant's schedule is released, you can always find out who she's going against and when by checking the schedules page.

solidified
2008-01-14, 22:59
I shall nominate..

5 points: Mikuru Asahina- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (HANDS DOWN)

4 points: Nanaka- Myself; Yourself

3 points: Maria- Hayate No Gotoku

2 points: Chihiro- ef ~a tale of memories

1 point: Asa Shigure- Shuffle!

minhtam1638
2008-01-14, 23:05
I shall nominate..

5 points: Mikuru Asahina- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (HANDS DOWN)

4 points: Nanaka- Myself; Yourself

3 points: Maria- Hayate No Gotoku

2 points: Chihiro- ef ~a tale of memories

1 point: Asa Shigure- Shuffle!

Both characters are already qualified to take part in this league, so nominations in red are dead. (If you redo the nominations with the same IP address you used before, I'll replace them for you.) Heck, Maria's entry is on the regular contestants page...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/progress1.jpg

I should remind myself to put Evangeline, Mikuru, and Kagami in alphastickmania's next image batch.

kucigaromeo
2008-01-14, 23:56
5. Saga Bergmann - Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar (Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar)
4. Shia - Pita-ten
3. Mizunashi Akari - ARIA series
2. Alicia Florence - ARIA series
1. Machi - Nagasarete Airantou, 最高(read: psycho) moe

I'm not surprised if none of them entered the tournament :rolleyes:

minhtam1638
2008-01-15, 01:10
I'm not surprised if none of them entered the tournament :rolleyes:

Hey, it's been only three days, and so far, I have nearly 150 characters on my list vying for only 17 positions. It's one heated race. So far, three of them have left the rest in the dust, so they're in safe haven (for now), but what's more important is that 17th slot, and I see a huge stack of competitors vying for it. I'm telling you, a lot of these girls will be going home disappointed.

minhtam1638
2008-01-15, 02:24
10 bux say that at least one of them, if not the three, are from Clannad.

And I bet these KyoAni fans forgot about Air. The difference of hype.

Also one of them could be Sakura. That makes me ask, is it really fair to have both of them? 90% of people will find Sakura-chan more moe than Sakura-hime.

Then again, it could be really interesting to find out :D

Here's my take on KyoAni fans and Air: Air was the first KyoAni production, so it was kind of a prototype to where everyone goes. KyoAni used Air and improved on it for Kanon, so typically, Kanon girls are more moe than Air girls. And now Clannad is overshadowing Kanon in terms of moe.

If you look at it from 2005's Saimoe Japan statistics, Air didn't really do so well - just one girl finished in the top 16 (Kannabi no Mikoto, 8th place), and there weren't as huge as a faction then, so generally speaking, many KyoAni fans won't remember Air at all. I don't think KyoAni became a huge threat until Haruhi Suzumiya came by.

And as for the Sakura situation, unlike little Nanoha and big Nanoha, Sakura-chan and Sakura-hime are from two different series that have little to do with each other than the fact that the same names were used, so I am treating them as separate. Also, Sakura-chan participating in this tournament may be a plus to Sakura-hime, since although Sakura-hime will probably blow the match against Sakura-chan, there may be some sort of an alliance that can pull her through with a better finish than projected.

I so wish I can spoil the results as of today, but I can't, since a leak in information will result in changes in voting patterns, kind of like what happened in Saimoe Japan 2007. I can only be cryptic in these kinds of things.

Lyn Shaoran
2008-01-15, 04:38
Hello everyone...I'm Italian boy...pleasure to meet you!
I voted this name...is correct??? :D

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1896/immagineqn0.jpg

ehehe...I hope that Ren will pass the turn ehhee!!
Ren Nanase is the Best girl for everyone ;)

DarkBelerofonte
2008-01-15, 04:53
Edited my first post to include a third rule... I knew I forgot something.

Kagami Hiiragi and Mikuru Asahina are dead nominations, since both characters have already qualified in this tournament via a top 16 finish in the Korea tournaments. I'm looking at the nomination results right now, so if you re-submit with the same IP address, I'll fill in the 4 and 3 points for you.

One more time then:

5 Points - Sakura Kinomoto - Card Captor Sakura

4 Points - Moka Akashiya - Rosario + Vampire

3 Points - Haruka Minami - Minami-ke

2 Points - Ayu Tsukimiya - Kanon (2006)

1 Point - Kyou Fujibayashi - Clannad

alphastickmania
2008-01-15, 05:20

Eh... You can vote for characters on H-series?!? Personally, I think characters that live in the H arena only don't stand much of a chance.

P.S : minhtam2448, have you tried DarkMirage?

Klashikari
2008-01-15, 05:41
Here's my take on KyoAni fans and Air: Air was the first KyoAni production, so it was kind of a prototype to where everyone goes. KyoAni used Air and improved on it for Kanon, so typically, Kanon girls are more moe than Air girls. And now Clannad is overshadowing Kanon in terms of moe.
Not totally correct (though one might argue Air is the "first" because it is their first stand alone production). There is Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and some other projects before IIRC.

The thing is... I doubt Air has any "lessened" impact despite the vintage considering how Misuzu is quite big in term of popularity. That said, aside of Kanna, Michuru, Kano etc might have been forgotten in the flow of memories :heh:

And as for the Sakura situation, unlike little Nanoha and big Nanoha, Sakura-chan and Sakura-hime are from two different series that have little to do with each other than the fact that the same names were used, so I am treating them as separate.
As a CLAMP fan, I seconds it a lot, because even though both Sakura are kinda similar, they are definitely different, and it has nothing to do with the plot part of "dimension" nor the age. They are acting and their mindset are quite different, although their harbor the same assets and personality traits.

Here are my votes:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5746/islvotege1.jpg

5 & 4: Might be a little bias considering they are my favourite CLANNAD female characters, but simply, Nagisa screams "moe" for me, considering he assets, personality and hardship/actions.
Kyou, meanwhile, is the kind of genki & aggressive girl which is quite well blended with her assets and careness.
3: I don't exactly have a insane fond of moeblob (I like this type of characters, but don't exactly scream "moe moe", as ironic as the term imply), Hanyuu is a heavy gunner in such traits, twisted with devotion and such. She should rejoin the front with Rena and Rika
2: I don't think I need to give justification for the widely infamous Sakura-chan, one of the earliest and foundators of "Moe".
1: Despite Kaname is my favourite character along with Sousuke, Tessa deserves the "moe" title in the franchise.

OverFunk
2008-01-15, 06:18
Klashikari, Tessa has already qualified. So you can still nominate Chidori. Or whoever else you want.

alphastickmania, I personally find Fujino Shion (Hatsu Inu) really cute, despite my general dislike for silent girls.

And Minhtam, I think that Sakura-hime's performance will decrease due to Sakura-chan's presence. Since she might have gathered a few extra votes just for having the name.

Klashikari
2008-01-15, 06:49
*sigh* I didn't even see that lost lone bottom line with FMP, I guess I will reinsert a vote with slot 1 alone...
*scratches his head*
Well i guess it will go for lazyness and vote for Kaname then.

As for Sakura... well, It might create a coallition of the sort, but it sure might have a vote spread effect

FlareKnight
2008-01-15, 09:09
5. Edomae Runa - Seto no Hanayome
4. Horo - Spice and Wolf
3. Hanyuu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
2. Kinomoto Sakura - Card Captor Sakura
1. Seto San - Seto no Hanayome

Runa: Well it was a good fight in saimoe that ended against Nanoha. At least one thing I gained from all that despair was learning how much I liked her character. So will try to get Runa back in for one more shot. Was able to understand her character better and so I'll see how it goes.

Horo: Probably my favorite character from the Winter Season. One episode was good enough to get me to support her into this one. Just can't say no to a wolf-goddess that goes from giant wolf to very moe girl. Excellent personality so hopefully she can squeeze in to this.

Hanyuu: It's Hanyuu :heh:. That girl was built for this tournament. A spirit that missed screentime to not make it into saimoe will get her shot here. Just great moe and chemistry with Rika.

Sakura: Forgetting the princess and going back to the original moe character. Just a great classic with enough costumes to make you dizzy. Pretty skilled person overall though always finding a way to drop the baton on her head. Should be able to compete quite well in this one.

San: Well can't get my Runa and San matchup otherwise :). But really San showed some great moe in getting pretty far before being stopped. Mermaid neko moe will return to the stage (unless I'm the only one who votes then it won't :heh:)

So after having some months off might just be time for more despair...err more cheering characters on. Site was really well done and just gets you excited about this one.

minhtam1638
2008-01-15, 11:05
You know, if Klash missed something on the contestants list... I'm going to have to redo the list in ABC order...

And technically, you can nominate characters from H-series, since they are technically listed under anime, but if you think about it, they're NOT going to do well in this league - Saimoe contests tend to bend toward the younger. Not to mention that most of their support material would be censored due to the rules I listed.

EDIT: Can't accept Night Shift Nurses girls - profile check gave me way too little information on them.

Teiran
2008-01-15, 15:15
http://www.player-two.org/nominations.jpg

I could rightfully be accused of taking the chalk with my own nominations, but I'm nonetheless pleased to see a good selection in the thread so far. Even though some of the named characters inevitably won't end up making the field, seeing their names kind of triggers a memory of encountering them for the first time. Good stuff.

capture
2008-01-15, 16:09
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5196/54699262yd0.jpg

^_^ my nominees

thenightsshadow
2008-01-15, 19:41
Here are my 5.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/thenightsshadow/Characterchoice.jpg

Ignore the fact that it's in Hiragana...I'm having quite a bit of problems with my computer right now...

TAM-Lisa
2008-01-16, 00:32
5- Setsuna Sakurazaki - Negima
4- Aeru - SIMOUN
3- Rei Ayanami - Neon Genesis Evangelion
2- Chiaki Minami - Minami-ke
1- Sakura Kinomoto - Cardcaptor Sakura

Ultenth
2008-01-16, 01:14
Was really hard to narrow it down so much :mad:. But here is my 5.

5 - Tamaki Kawazoe - Bamboo Blade
4 - Holo Kenrou - Okami to Koshinryo
3 - Chiaki Minami - Minami-ke
2 - Sora Kajiwara - Sketchbook ~full color'S~
1 - Kana Minami - Minami-ke

Tama-chan because she's like a younger shy otaku version of Mai.
Holo because 1 episode tells me that I'm going to love her mischevious but injured personality.
Chaiki because she's just plain awesomeness in how she deals with Kana and Mako-chan.
Sora because I love her inquisitive and peaceful but shy nature.
Kana because she's so crazy and energetic and silly.

minhtam1638
2008-01-16, 02:01
Here are my 5.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/thenightsshadow/Characterchoice.jpg

Ignore the fact that it's in Hiragana...I'm having quite a bit of problems with my computer right now...

Actually, I was hoping that someone would post that, since I did receive a hirigana entry that my script can't make out. (The letter "a" with the tilda over it) The good news is that I have some knowledge of hirigana, so I can make out who you nominated.

Daneja
2008-01-16, 16:13
Mitham ..... question i was nominating my choices but accidentally pushed 'enter' with only 2 nominations :heh: can this still be changed :heh:?

Kaioshin Sama
2008-01-16, 16:48
By the time this one is over I guess it will be time for the 2ch Saimoe again.

minhtam1638
2008-01-16, 16:51
Mitham ..... question i was nominating my choices but accidentally pushed 'enter' with only 2 nominations :heh: can this still be changed :heh:?

I presume your nominations begin with

5. Kyou Fujibayashi - Clannad
4. Hayate Yagami - Nanoha
3. ...
2. ...
1. ...

Assuming you're on the same computer, yes, you can still change it.

Daneja
2008-01-16, 17:19
changed ^_^

cleo
2008-01-16, 23:30
This was hard, I feel sorry for all the girls I had to scratch :(
Final list:
5 pts - Fuko Ibuki (Clannad)
4 pts - Oboro Iga (Basilisk)
3 pts - Chii (Chobits)
2 pts - Chihiro (Ef -a tale of memories)
1 pts - Chise (Saikano)

minhtam1638
2008-01-17, 04:18
Okay, odd. International Saimoe League is now "officially" international. A forum board in Vietnam found our site via AnimeSuki. It was kind of odd finding them by google, weird that they didn't notice it was run by minhtam2448 (Minhtam is a Vietnamese name), and a little offensive that they marked me as "Suiseiseki-lover". I did extend my warm welcome to them in Vietnamese, and also made sure they know that I'm rather a Shana-fanatic.

However, in order to give our website and this league an international feel, I want to be able to have a Japanese and Korean introductory and "how to vote" page, exactly like how Saimoe Japan did it last year. I am looking for translators in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. It is rather simple. I e-mail you a message that I want conveyed, the person who volunteers translates it, and then I post it on the website and make sure it is linked so that they understand how to go about it. As I am not really that great of a website guy (the website server is a weebly server), I don't think we would be able to give the whole website a language change, but an intro page should be good enough.

After all, I'm only telling them to "look at the picture provided, look at the letters on that picture, go to the polls, and match them."

alphastickmania
2008-01-17, 05:33
Okay, odd. International Saimoe League is now "officially" international. A forum board in Vietnam found our site via AnimeSuki. It was kind of odd finding them by google, weird that they didn't notice it was run by minhtam2448 (Minhtam is a Vietnamese name), and a little offensive that they marked me as "Suiseiseki-lover". I did extend my warm welcome to them in Vietnamese, and also made sure they know that I'm rather a Shana-fanatic.

However, in order to give our website and this league an international feel, I want to be able to have a Japanese and Korean introductory and "how to vote" page, exactly like how Saimoe Japan did it last year. I am looking for translators in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. It is rather simple. I e-mail you a message that I want conveyed, the person who volunteers translates it, and then I post it on the website and make sure it is linked so that they understand how to go about it. As I am not really that great of a website guy (the website server is a weebly server), I don't think we would be able to give the whole website a language change, but an intro page should be good enough.

After all, I'm only telling them to "look at the picture provided, look at the letters on that picture, go to the polls, and match them."

Haha, "Suiseiseki-lover". By the way, you meant a little offended, right? Look at pictures and compare with letters then vote, good one. You should make a slogan out of it. XD

Psieye
2008-01-17, 08:07
Haha, I'm going to make my own decision on the diplomatic phrasing of the message, but I can translate to Korean. We've communicated by email before so you know where to send.

z3phyr.mp3
2008-01-17, 08:28
just wanted to add some input...
why not accept translations from other languages too, even if said country of origin of said language can speak/read english proficiently...
so that it would really fell international...
also for the lolz...
i for one can offer to translate in Filipino(Philippines), though i'm not really proficient with my own language since i there are like more or less 6 major dialects here in the Philippines and the language Filipino only focuses on one of them which i rarely use... and i'm more proficient in english anyways...

alphastickmania
2008-01-17, 09:10
why not accept translations from other languages too, even if said country of origin of said language can speak/read english proficiently...
also for the lolz...
i for one can offer to translate in Filipino(Philippines), though i'm not really proficient with my own language since i there are like more or less 6 major dialects here in the Philippines and the language Filipino only focuses on one of them which i rarely use... and i'm more proficient in english anyways...

I don't think minhtam2448 will mind but you will have to wait to get his response. Btw, do you know a lot of people from Philippines who watch anime as well? That would surely be of great help for ISML.

z3phyr.mp3
2008-01-17, 09:19
i don't know a lot of people who watch anime though... and the poeple i know who do watch anime only watch stuff bleach and naruto, both of which i have dropped, and really not interested in moe... it's really hard to find someone who appreciates moe here where i'm from... i don't know about the other regions though, since the Philippines is an archipelago the chances of meeting said people, who are also interested in moe, are slim...

WarriorKK
2008-01-17, 09:44
It isn't odd. We joined Saimoe, Best Moe, Saigar and now International Saimoe League early. Every news from here is always updated in Vnsharing (http://vnsharing.net/forum)... Of course, your name made me think you is a Vietnamese from beginning :heh: But when Saimoe finished, we don't have much time to watch what's happening in here :p

Haa... "Shana-fans" huh...?

Furudanuki
2008-01-17, 10:33
Tanuki picks, a.k.a. tilting at windmills.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4623/islnomnu2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

minhtam1638
2008-01-17, 10:37
also for the lolz...

Sure, that would be great. I'll accept translations from other languages. However, I want to make sure I get at least Japan and Korea handled... so now I'm missing Japan.

geki~
2008-01-17, 12:36
5 Potemayo - Potemayo
4 Puchiko - Digi Charat
3 Shōko Nogami - Asatte no Houkou
2 Sherry - Wellber no Monogatari
1 Eika Ichijo - SKy Girls

alphastickmania
2008-01-17, 22:40
Sure, that would be great. I'll accept translations from other languages. However, I want to make sure I get at least Japan and Korea handled... so now I'm missing Japan.

I knew he would accept your help. ;) Now you will only need to e-mail him. (Is it?) Welcome to the crew.

Btw, minhtam2448, I just missed the chance to rope in a guy who could translate Japanese and Korean yesterday on IRC. Just have to lurk around more in future I guess.

minhtam1638
2008-01-17, 23:39
I knew he would accept your help. ;) Now you will only need to e-mail him. (Is it?) Welcome to the crew.

Btw, minhtam2448, I just missed the chance to rope in a guy who could translate Japanese and Korean yesterday on IRC. Just have to lurk around more in future I guess.

E-mail, PM, whatever, just get a hold on me and I will give you details. Preferably E-mail at hendrickfan66@yahoo.com

HA2
2008-01-17, 23:44
1. Ai Haibara - Meitantei Conan
2. Amane Misa - Death Note
3. Nami - One Piece
4. Aizawa Sakuya - Hayate no gotoku
5. Inoue Orihime - Bleach

cicido
2008-01-18, 00:21
1. Ai Haibara - Meitantei Conan
2. Amane Misa - Death Note
3. Nami - One Piece
4. Aizawa Sakuya - Hayate no gotoku
5. Inoue Orihime - Bleach

*tears* I had her in the exactly same position!

Also, I saw a thread of this contest in /a/ where anons nominates tokyo crystal mew character LOL

minhtam1638
2008-01-18, 01:22
Also, I saw a thread of this contest in /a/ where anons nominates tokyo crystal mew character LOL

Yeah, I discarded all of them except Ichigo, to which I gave only 1 point after a slew of them. Reason was that it definitely looked like multi-voting through a proxy. This was before I updated the script to include a "forwarding for" variable to detect the real IPs.

And also, when I did a background check on them, Ichigo was the only one who passed the profile check - the others didn't seem to be real characters to me.

EDIT: Website has been updated with Eri Sawachika's individual profile and schedule as well as headings for 6 other competitors.

Kinny Riddle
2008-01-18, 08:21
Congratulations to minhtam on setting this up. Here's hoping the best.

Your concept of drawing seeds from the recent tournaments, as well as putting weightings on character nominations could well show which characters and series have better staying power with their "mojo", is not a bad one. This frees characters from the bound of time, besides the nomination deadline, for time is the best indicator of whether a character/series is a "classic" or just a "fad".

Running a league format means tonnes of matches everyday, this means voters would only pick and choose to follow their girls, so do be prepared for low voter turnout caused by voter fatigue.

What are the risks of unglamarous matches having ridiculously low turnouts (less than 50), and the winner gets the scorn of not having enough of a "mandate"? Or even in extreme cases, turnout is zero? :D

And have you considered running the tournament around the same time as the Japanese and Korean Saimoes to boost turnout? Having so many similar tournaments all-year round is enough to exhaust your average die-hard supporter. Despite their vocal presence, Hikkikomori NEETs only make up a small number, the majority still have lives to live.

No offence, Lyn Shaoran, but I LOL'ed, knowing that the characters come from a rather "shitty" game/series. (Literally. :cool: )

Anyway, since ero-game characters are barred, I suppose any visual novel character, whether it be ero or not, are barred as well? And I guess print-media like mangas and light novels are out of the question.

And while we're at it, is there no chance for the Vocaloid Girls: Hatsune Miku, and Kagamine Rin? (Or even their brother, Kagamine Ren, who looks "feminine" enough. )

Psieye
2008-01-18, 08:25
Anyway, since ero-game characters are barred, I suppose any visual novel character, whether it be ero or not, are barred as well?General rule of thumb I interpret is that if it has a non-H anime adaptation, then it's qualified. So yeah, you're probably thinking of characters the anime-only audience doesn't even know of yet.

Wuch... I so want to nominate Schwer-Muta but there's no way she's elligible ^^;;

Klashikari
2008-01-18, 08:26
Anyway, since ero-game characters are barred, I suppose any visual novel character, whether it be ero or not, are barred as well? And I guess print-media like mangas and light novels are out of the question.

And while we're at it, is there no chance for the Vocaloid Girls: Hatsune Miku, and Kagamine Rin? (Or even their brother, Kagamine Ren, who looks "feminine" enough. )
I don't think eroge characters are barred specifically, rather they put an absolute "from anime" rule.
Therefore, it will be hard for VN characters to be included.
I believe it is also rather a technical issue, as the amount of Vn and eroge is... well nearly infinitisimal? :heh: Would be absurdly horrible of VN players begin to list their moe chars, which might lead to a complete chaos in term of check and all XD

but good find for the vocaloid representants, they sure deserve a special treatment considering their impact. Seconded !

minhtam1638
2008-01-18, 09:10
Congratulations to minhtam on setting this up. Here's hoping the best.

Your concept of drawing seeds from the recent tournaments, as well as putting weightings on character nominations could well show which characters and series have better staying power with their "mojo", is not a bad one. This frees characters from the bound of time, besides the nomination deadline, for time is the best indicator of whether a character/series is a "classic" or just a "fad".

Why, thank you.

Running a league format means tonnes of matches everyday, this means voters would only pick and choose to follow their girls, so do be prepared for low voter turnout caused by voter fatigue.

What are the risks of unglamarous matches having ridiculously low turnouts (less than 50), and the winner gets the scorn of not having enough of a "mandate"? Or even in extreme cases, turnout is zero? :D

I did take possible voter fatigue into account. Hence I tried to set up the schedule so that the big-name matchups are on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. For the early half of the week, I tried to add in as many potential blow out matches as possible. This may work out great, leaving the hikkimori NEETs to deal with the blow out matches and giving the others a little break, or it could backfire, seeing as how I partially based the schedule on Shana by giving her the "FANVOTE" matches on Mondays.

And because this is the first year, my goal for turnout is really low - 500.

As for unglamorous matches, I know for a fact that we WILL have unglamourous matches, especially as we head toward the end of the regular season: where as the predicted #4 Shana vs. #14 Suiseiseki match could garner thousands of votes, #48 Tsuruya vs. #55 Touka would be expected to have only 50.

And have you considered running the tournament around the same time as the Japanese and Korean Saimoes to boost turnout? Having so many similar tournaments all-year round is enough to exhaust your average die-hard supporter. Despite their vocal presence, Hikkikomori NEETs only make up a small number, the majority still have lives to live.

Wow, you may be on to something.

I was thinking somewhat in the opposite direction, that trying to keep track of three SaiMoe tournaments at once is enough to double voter's fatigue, but I believe you may be right. I will consider re-adjusting the schedule so that we can go with three-days a week, giving voters time to rest and me to officially tally the results, put them on the website, and so-on.

I do have to release a test poll to the public, so I will use your statement to do a vote on whether we should spread the schedule out to give the voters some relief.

The first match will still take place on February 28, and the featured match will still be Hinagiku vs. Shana. However, if the voters do vote that we should spread the schedule out, I will do a major rescheduling, which shouldn't be too much of a problem, and now that I have a clear vision of who exactly will take the fanvote slots, I can adjust it so that they can have big name matchups on Saturdays as well. Just keep note that matchups will not change - just the dates (i.e. S.O.S vs. Kugimiya will stay intact).

I will take your statements into serious consideration, look at possible options, and will present them tonight.

I didn't say that. All girls nominated that I personally have never heard of will undergo a background check to make sure that they exist and that they have a reason why they would be considered moe. Night Shift Nurse is barred because there was no background story behind the girls I was researching - just that they like to do the kadunk kadunk.

If the girl is within the anime and has a sufficient background that I can allow the girl to enter, then yes, the girl is qualified.

Psieye
2008-01-18, 10:08
Kinny was discussing characters who have never been in a Movie, OVA or TV-ep. You are thinking "characters who have an origin in Visual Novels etc, but who have an anime adaptation".

Well ok, Kinny's wording is somewhat ambiguous but I'm sure he's thinking of Visual Novel girls who don't have an anime adaptation yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinny Riddle
2008-01-18, 11:17
I don't really mind VN (or light novel) characters without anime adaptations not being included, because, let's face it, how many VN players are there outside Japan? And how many would really know these obscure characters before they're given the anime treatment? (Unless you're a character from a big studio like KEY) I'd say 30-50 for the whole planet at best, and even that figure is stretched.

Manga could be trickier, as it's more widespread outside Japan than visual novels and light novels.

My concern is more with whether Miku and Rin (and Ren) could be eligible. As this could trigger another timebomb: Mainstream console game characters. Especially the RPG ones: Final Fantasy, Tales Of, Star Ocean, etc.

minhtam1638
2008-01-18, 11:45
Okay, it didn't take long for me to think at all. Kinny Riddle's statements make sense. Here's my proposed plan:

There will still be 32 matches per match days, as I can take care of tallying all of them, but if you guys are willing, I will cut the number of matches per week from 6 to 3 or 4. This will extend the schedule by at most ten more weeks, and the regular season will end by the last week of August, therefore having the prestigious post-season tournament in September - October, about the same time Saimoe Japan and Korea Best Moe end.

The first match set (Hinagiku vs. Shana) will still take place on February 28. Afterwards, matches will be aligned through Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. As I would like to see the Shana vs. Suiseiseki season closer on a Saturday, there will be no match on Easter Saturday and the preceding Thursday. (I'm Roman Catholic, so I have to go to church on those nights, therefore unable to tally final results.)

Nomination status will NOT be affected: They will still end on February 14.

I've taken the pros and cons of this proposal and have listed them below:

Pros -
1. As a university student, I don't have to be a hikkimori to run this tournament the way I originally planned. With alternating match dates so that there is at least 26 hours between each match, I can have time to tally results, update the website with standings and scores between every match instead of Sunday like I had planned, and I can still have time to actually do my university homework and go out to the movies! Talk about relief of stress!

2. With the three days per week schedule, there is some increased flexibility. Say that for the Haruhi vs. Shana match set, I have to go to a funeral away from home. In this case, I would have to move that match set all the way to the end of the schedule, which could change the dynamics of the league. With the new flexible system, I can either move matches a day ahead or a day behind without having it totally affect the league.

3. With bye dates in between match dates, voters will have the time to stock up, relax, get everything ready for the next match, and so on. Voters will not have to come by everyday - rather, they will have time to do the things they want now that the matches will be on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

4. There could possibly be increased voter turnout during the second half of the season, due to the influence of Saimoe Japan and Korea Best Moe. Once they get word of this, it's going to be big city, big time.

5. There were a LOT of match sets that I wanted to run on Saturdays, and I ran out of them. With this proposed plan, more marquee matchups will garner attention on weekends, therefore having a good turnout.

Cons -
1. Slowness. Saimoe tournaments usually take about... four months, I believe. With this proposed plan, the International Saimoe League can take as long as eight months to decide who should be Saimoe Champion of the world. This can be a pro, as it adds the element of endurance to this competition, but I'm more concerned about voters being anxious and impatient. But 24 weeks? Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

2. Although there would be increased voter turnout, some voters may be distracted by Saimoe and Best Moe and turn away from the International. I don't know if it is a huge concern, but that is a concern. It can also turn out to be a huge pro, since I did hear that 2chan may be blocking international participation this year...

But yes, here's my proposed plan, and if the majority of you guys here decide to go with it, I will make the arrangements to change it. Let me know by tonight so I can update the website.

Psieye
2008-01-18, 13:21
My concern is more with whether Miku and Rin (and Ren) could be eligible. As this could trigger another timebomb: Mainstream console game characters. Especially the RPG ones: Final Fantasy, Tales Of, Star Ocean, etc.
Touhou. For the sake of sanity, we may as well limit it to "has anime" and leave it at that. Ummu, and you were simply concerned at "these charas are from H-game (which got animated) so aren't elligible" but minhtam was saying "these charas have no characterisation at all, ultra-flat cardboard cutouts are not allowed"

Ok now as for minhtam's proposal...

Dude, you were planning on Hikkikomori'ing for the entire duration of the League to get this done? I don't know about you, but I was vaguely hoping you'd reserve enough stamina to consider staying active in Saimoe activities (whether that means doing the League all over again next year is an entirely different matter...). I know I'm having to seriously re-think how I'll keep up with Saimoe stuff this year (I'm gonna have to write Python scripts to do all the data formatting at the least) as last year was hard on me.

So yes, go for the 24 week plan. I don't know about voter fatigue but all this is useless if we get admin fatigue.

minhtam1638
2008-01-18, 13:39
Dude, you were planning on Hikkikomori'ing for the entire duration of the League to get this done? I don't know about you, but I was vaguely hoping you'd reserve enough stamina to consider staying active in Saimoe activities (whether that means doing the League all over again next year is an entirely different matter...). I know I'm having to seriously re-think how I'll keep up with Saimoe stuff this year (I'm gonna have to write Python scripts to do all the data formatting at the least) as last year was hard on me.

So yes, go for the 24 week plan. I don't know about voter fatigue but all this is useless if we get admin fatigue.

Aw, heck no, I was kidding about Hikkikomoriing for the entire Saimoe League, but after Kinny Riddle posted his message, I looked at the schedule again, and I realized that it would take a good chunk of time and I would be fatigued, not to mention that I planned the schedule and didn't take Easter into account.

OverFunk
2008-01-18, 14:00
Let's see at a rate of 3 matchdays per week, we'll reach the 63 in 21 weeks, approx. 5 months...

I have another proposal, but you might not like it.

One huge group of 64 makes it really hard to keep stats and everything. And apparently you will count most matches.

I think it could be a nice idea to make 4 groups of 16, then having the best 4 of each group to have a 16 final round held the same way.

To complete a group of 16, you'd need 15 matchdays, that'd be 5 weeks on the schedule. Then for the last one, it'd be another 5 weeks, totalling at least 10 weeks to complete the season. Half time to complete. And that final round would be more epic than the big group.

I know you want to have every match as possble, but maybe 64C2 is somewhat to big of a number... It feels that there will be many uninteresting matches...

If you keep 4 groups like that, it'll be easier to keep stats. Also, you can get someone else to manage a group, relieving stress on you. Moe is not really something you'd want to spend most of your time anyway, right?

Numbers:
The number of matches on your system is 63*32=2016, plus whatever you want to do post season.

This idea has 4*(16C2)=480 on the first round, plus 120 on the final round, of which 24 will be rematches (which could be interesting, mind you). Total of 600.

(Japan Saimoe has 96+32+31=159 matches).

Psieye
2008-01-18, 14:07
Someone insane enough to do a League with a group of 64 is bound to have automated keeping track of stats etc. I'm not going to be spending much time following the stats as I trust minhtam to have automated that (or at the very least, get Comma Separated Values output working).

Vote tallying is another matter, but the amount of human eye time needed would hopefully be short despite the large number of matches going on. The nominations are good practice for minhtam to set up tools to aid his human eye catch suspicious trends.

minhtam1638
2008-01-18, 14:43
Someone insane enough to do a League with a group of 64 is bound to have automated keeping track of stats etc. I'm not going to be spending much time following the stats as I trust minhtam to have automated that (or at the very least, get Comma Separated Values output working).

Vote tallying is another matter, but the amount of human eye time needed would hopefully be short despite the large number of matches going on. The nominations are good practice for minhtam to set up tools to aid his human eye catch suspicious trends.

Don't worry, for now I know exactly how to make comma separated output. Right now, I'm using Vertical Bar separated output because that's what the form my professor gave me came with, but I can easily change it to comma separated output.

As to your idea, Overfunk, it's a good idea, except the Strength of Schedule given that groups are randomized can be totally different for all four groups. The point of a 64x64 league is to make sure that everybody goes against everybody fairly, which is why I've decided to run a 64x64 league.

And yes, I am insane, thank you very much.

wontaek
2008-01-19, 02:31
Let's see at a rate of 3 matchdays per week, we'll reach the 63 in 21 weeks, approx. 5 months...

I have another proposal, but you might not like it.

One huge group of 64 makes it really hard to keep stats and everything. And apparently you will count most matches.

I think it could be a nice idea to make 4 groups of 16, then having the best 4 of each group to have a 16 final round held the same way.

To complete a group of 16, you'd need 15 matchdays, that'd be 5 weeks on the schedule. Then for the last one, it'd be another 5 weeks, totalling at least 10 weeks to complete the season. Half time to complete. And that final round would be more epic than the big group.

I know you want to have every match as possble, but maybe 64C2 is somewhat to big of a number... It feels that there will be many uninteresting matches...

If you keep 4 groups like that, it'll be easier to keep stats. Also, you can get someone else to manage a group, relieving stress on you. Moe is not really something you'd want to spend most of your time anyway, right?

Numbers:
The number of matches on your system is 63*32=2016, plus whatever you want to do post season.

This idea has 4*(16C2)=480 on the first round, plus 120 on the final round, of which 24 will be rematches (which could be interesting, mind you). Total of 600.

(Japan Saimoe has 96+32+31=159 matches).

First disclaimer: I am very curious as to what will happen in 64 player league, so have no problem with leaving things as is.

Now, if we are to have groups, this would be my recommendation. assuming voting in 8 matches per day.

8 groups of 8 contestants each, top 4 advance to form top 32 (28 days)
4 groups of 8 contestants each, top 4 advance to form top 16. (14 days)
4 group of 4 contestants each, top 2 advance to elite 8 (3 days)
2 groups of 4 contestants each, top 2 advance to final 4. (3 days )
Semifinal (1 day)
Final. ( 1 day)

total: 50 days

Since we guarantee top 2 to advance until final 4, even if we go completely random in group assignment, we are guaranteed that top 2 character will reach final 4. We could protect the top seeds even more with seeding system which is already in place. 50 days is very manageable. The problem is that we are not going to see all the match ups out there, although I suspect we will end up seeing all the interesting matches.

If we do 16 matches per day, the whole tournament can be over in 29 days, which is less than a month.

minhtam1638
2008-01-19, 07:30
Also, it's not really all that hard to keep track of stats for 64 contestants, thought it got a heck of a lot easier now that we are changing the schedule to the three matches per week format. There are many ways to do this.

Actually, there are a LOT of PERL scripts for vote tallying that I can certainly use to my advantage. I just need to pick one, inspect it to make sure I know what it does, attach it to todkapuz's server, and use the test poll to see exactly what it does. If push comes to shove, in order to make sure I know what it does, we may have an exhibition match set, just to make sure the script can handle tallying 32 matches in a single day, as well as detecting multi-voting, both regular and multi-proxying. If this were the case, exhibition matches will include Fate vs. Nanoha, Haruhi vs. Yuki, Hinagiku vs. Nagi, Sayuri vs. Mai, etc., i.e. matches with characters from the same anime, kind of like a practice match just to get prepared.

The current script I am using is very basic, and output would only contain what IP address nominated/voted for whomever. It is very essential for nominations, hence why I am currently using it now, but for polls, I would want to use a different script - one that can tally votes initially and spit out graphs. However, I also want to make sure that I still get the information I currently get from the previous script. A single form CANNOT (at least to my knowledge) run two scripts at once, so I would have to try to combine them in a way that I get what I need.

If this type of thing is to be executed, we may (unfortunately) have unofficial graphs spit out by the server as well as official tallies released by myself. This will depend on what the script will actually do, whether it can include deleted output.

Right now, I want to make sure I get my priorities straight, as I still have 5 weeks to prepare this tournament. I'm doing the best as I can on my end on the table.

todkapuz
2008-01-19, 22:59
I just sad that I don't have the time to setup such a system... as much I desired to do so. :) Two years ago really wanted to do so, but had a thesis... then when I got some time last year... I found the Korean Best-Moe... and well.. it's fairly close to what I had invisioned.. kinda... anyhow... keep up the good work, Minh.

cnnydz
2008-01-20, 06:31
can i vote for this cutie
http://www.tg-media.net/the_chaos/wtfpowanp7.gif

just kidding
1.saber - fate stay/night
2.runa - seto no hanayome
3.sakura - card captor sakura
4.asa shigure - shuffle
5.tamaki kawazoe - bamboo blade

ZeRoGravity
2008-01-20, 14:30
Illya - FSN
Ana Coppola - Ichigo Mashimaro
Momoha Odori - Manabi Straight
Mahoro - Mahoromatic
Mako-chan - Minami-ke

minhtam1638
2008-01-22, 04:41
The new schedule is finished and is now on the website. Only about three or four remained in their respective positions, the only two I know of being the season ender and season opener. Everything in the middle pretty much changed. Radically.

Here are the headlining matches according to my statistics. Any questions on particular matches, just ask, and I will let you know when they are. (The #1 #2 etc. are nomination vote-ins. Because the top 3 in nominations have just solidified themselves even further and are merely racing each other and leaving #4 and company in the dust, I've decided to give them priority in headlining matches.)

Disclaimer: Headlining matches are subject to change, depending on individual records.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/featuredmatchups.jpg

Speaking of nominations, I have received over 100 (legal) nominations. Don't know if it's a good number, but since it is rather early, and a slew of nominations will probably come late given many want to hold off and look for potentials in the Winter 2008 season, I'm satisfied for now. Here's where everybody stands. I won't give off names due to it's possible negative effects long term, but since I'm extremely bad at keeping secrets, I'll give out some really cryptic clues for the girls that seem to be in safe heaven. Don't ask me for answers, cause I won't give them.

#1 - 82 points
Hint: Kagami (LS) has taken a real interest in this girl. Why? Don't ask me.

#2 - 69 points
Hint: I don't think Nagi (HnG) has as many clothes as she does. And Nagi is rich..

#3 - 65 points
Hint: She comes from a distant time. Ask Eri (SR) about her history.

#4 - 62 points
Hint: I don't know who's smarter: this girl or Shana (SnS)

Okay, that's it for the hints. As for the rest of the field: Blue = in, Red = out.

#5 - 47 pts, #6 - 44 pts, #7 - 42 pts, #8 - 40 pts, #9 - 39 pts, #10 - 35 pts, #11 - 34 pts, #12 - 34 pts, #13 - 33 pts, #14 - 33 pts, #15 - 32 pts, #16 - 30 pts, #17 - 27 pts.

#18 - 25 pts, #19 - 25 pts, #20 - 24 pts, #21 - 23 pts, #22 - 20 pts, #23 - 20 pts, #24 - 18 pts, #25 - 17 pts, #26 - 17 pts, #27 - 16 pts, #28 - 16 pts, #29 - 16 pts, #30 - 15 pts.

alphastickmania
2008-01-22, 05:08
*Faints from looking at the list*

Okay... Sorry. I am just not used to looking at small text that are so crammed up. But anyway, I see that there has been a lot of progress going on while I afked. Good job, minhtam. Keep it up till the end!:D

Westlo
2008-01-22, 08:25
5 pts to Horo :)

Grimkill7
2008-01-22, 08:29
Another 5 for Horo :D

Vexx
2008-01-22, 17:17
My choice are lame, but they're mine...
5 pts - Horo (Ookami to Koushinryou)
4 pts - Kagami (Lucky*Star)
3 pts - Motoko (Love Hina)
2 pts - Tomoko (Canvas 2)
1 pt - Hazuki (Tsukuyomi Moon Phase)

I don't know that I consider Horo "moe" ... I'm not sure she needs a lot of protecting :) but I think she needs the attention as one of the more complex personality designs to hit the screens of anime. The rest I'm more clear about. Though there are dozens of worthies from Fate-chan to some of the Manabi Straight and of course, the Moe&Ink-tan duo ... on and on and on.

Cytrus
2008-01-22, 17:30
My choice are lame, but they're mine...
5 pts - Horo (Ookami to Koushinryou)
4 pts - Kagami (Lucky*Star)
3 pts - Motoko (Love Hina)
2 pts - Tomoko (Canvas 2)
1 pt - Hazuki (Tsukuyomi Moon Phase)

I don't know that I consider Horo "moe" ... I'm not sure she needs a lot of protecting :) but I think she needs the attention as one of the more complex personality designs to hit the screens of anime. The rest I'm more clear about. Though there are dozens of worthies from Fate-chan to some of the Manabi Straight and of course, the Moe&Ink-tan duo ... on and on and on.

Kagami has already qualified by means of previous Saimoe presence.

If you vote again and inform minhtam about it, you may give those precious 4 points to someone else ;).

herbert
2008-01-22, 17:30
My pick

5 point: Chiri Kitsu @ Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
4 point: Masako Hara @ Ghost Hunt
3 point: Triela @ Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-
2 point: Yin @ Darker than Black
1 point: Hayate Yagami @ Nanoha A's/StrikerS

Sorry Horo. I am trying to nominate more girls I like and I know you can make it easily.

Deathkillz
2008-01-22, 18:47
Err...wow...

This is madness! :heh:

My picks ~ pts/name/series

5 - suigintou - rozen maiden

4 - Fate testarossa - mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

3 - Seto san - seto no hanayome

2 - Shinra Kuonji - Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de

1 - enma ai - jigoku shoujo

OverFunk
2008-01-22, 18:52
Err...wow...

This is madness! :heh:

My picks ~ pts/name/series

5 - suigintou - rozen maiden

4 - Fate testarossa - mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

3 - Seto san - seto no hanayome

2 - Shinra Kuonji - Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de

1 - enma ai - jigoku shoujo

They're all already in (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/contestants-list.html) :uhoh:.

This is the best advice:
If you vote again and inform minhtam about it, you may give those precious points to someone else :).

Psieye
2008-01-22, 18:55
"Moe" is not restricted to "Prot Moe"~ Semantics can be argued, but "your moe may not be my moe" means "Moe" is deliberately kept vague. Even if general trends can be found, it's a very wide generality.

Deathkillz
2008-01-22, 19:07
They're all already in (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/contestants-list.html) :uhoh:.

This is the best advice:
No matter what...not supporting my wifus as defult would be harthen...sorry to the others but these two I won't drop even if they are in ^^

CrowKenobi
2008-01-22, 21:09
If it's this easy to participate, then here's my nominations: :D

5 pts: Horo, Ookami to Koushinryou
4 pts: Ayu Tsukimiya, Kanon
3 pts: Yoko, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2 pts: Miyako Miyamuro, ef - A Tale of Memories
1 pt: Saber, Fate Stay Night

:cool:

mikoo
2008-01-22, 21:31
My Picks ;)

5 - Horo, Ookami to Koushinryou
4 - Shinra Kuonji, Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de
3 - Seto San, Seto no hanayome
2 - Saber, Fate Stay Night
1 - Chiaki, Minami ke

wontaek
2008-01-23, 00:28
At this pace, we may see Horo becoming a tournament favorite.

FlareKnight
2008-01-23, 01:05
I'd be happy to see Horo in this one. Certainly ready to give her support.

minhtam1638
2008-01-23, 04:06
Okay. Horo's 60 point swing in the past 48 hours did indeed catch my attention, and while I am indeed counting all of them, I did a little research to ensure that it wasn't an inside proxy. I would like to turn your attention to the following link:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=50790&page=41

Discussion of voting for Horo on that particular thread went on for three pages, and it was enough to bring Horo from just outside the parking lot to the center of the ballroom. Although I personally have no problem with it, the moderators think otherwise. On the first post for this thread, I made sure that I copy and pasted Klashikari's rules for this particular thread, and under it states:

Please do not cross post information about this tournament in other AnimeSuki threads.
Keep all Anime Saimoe Tournament posts, campaigns, character information, voting links, etc., within this thread only or in your signature (signature size limits still apply).

Therefore, while I appreciate the publicity you are trying to bring to this tournament, hence why I am not penalizing Horo in any manner, I will state, however, that I am also overseeing any peculiar patterns within the nominations. As I was given permission by the AnimeSuki staff to advertise this league, it is also my responsibility that I moderate to an extent any activity related to the International Saimoe League. While I encourage advertising this tournament to many other fan-based websites out there, please follow the rules for this particular thread.

Khaos
2008-01-23, 04:55
Okay. Horo's 60 point swing in the past 48 hours did indeed catch my attention, and while I am indeed counting all of them, I did a little research to ensure that it wasn't an inside proxy. I would like to turn your attention to the following link:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=50790&page=41

Discussion of voting for Horo on that particular thread went on for three pages, and it was enough to bring Horo from just outside the parking lot to the center of the ballroom. Although I personally have no problem with it, the moderators think otherwise. On the first post for this thread, I made sure that I copy and pasted Klashikari's rules for this particular thread, and under it states:

Therefore, while I appreciate the publicity you are trying to bring to this tournament, hence why I am not penalizing Horo in any manner, I will state, however, that I am also overseeing any peculiar patterns within the nominations. As I was given permission by the AnimeSuki staff to advertise this league, it is also my responsibility that I moderate to an extent any activity related to the International Saimoe League. While I encourage advertising this tournament to many other fan-based websites out there, please follow the rules for this particular thread.

I seems that I am the one to blame for this and I apologize for violating the Posting Etiquette for this gave Horo an unequable advantage.

However, there's something I'd like to know:

What do you think has more effect? One short campaign post like I did in the S&W-Thread or a Campaign in my signature which will be read everywhere I post in this forum? So in fact I could have put that in my sig, posted something else in the W&S-Thread, the effect would have been the same (perhaps a little less) but I wouldn't have violated any rules?

minhtam1638
2008-01-23, 05:04
I seems that I am the one to blame for this and I apologize for violating the Posting Etiquette for this gave Horo an unequable advantage.

What do you think has more effect? One short campaign post like I did in the S&W-Thread or a Campaign in my signature which will be read everywhere I post in this forum? So in fact I could have put that in my sig, posted something else in the W&S-Thread, the effect would have been the same (perhaps a little less) but I wouldn't have violated any rules?

You don't have to apologize, except probably to the AnimeSuki mods. However, you can definitely put it in your sig (see mine), and although probably not many people would notice, you wouldn't violate any AnimeSuki rules. One thing about signatures that did prove to be an effective advertisement: If you look at Overfunk's signature, there's the word "Vote" in his Shana signature. That, along with many others, have proven effective in Saimoe campaigning. There are a lot of vote sigs that are around.

I don't think there was any one for Horo, yet. I suggest that you PM a guy named z3phyr.mp3 and put in a request, since I know he used to make them for Saimoe Japan 2008. (Speaking of which, he owes me a Nagisa sig)

Psieye
2008-01-23, 05:51
z3phyr reports he's in exam week until Saturday.

cleo
2008-01-23, 07:06
No matter what...not supporting my wifus as defult would be harthen...sorry to the others but these two I won't drop even if they are in ^^
We're not voting yet, we're nominating characters who still can earn a place in the competition. Suigintou and Fate are already assured of a place in the game, they can't gather points by nomination. So those nominations will simply be deleted. You better use those points for other girls you want to enter the competition.

minhtam1638
2008-01-23, 07:16
We're not voting yet, we're nominating characters who still can earn a place in the competition. Suigintou and Fate are already assured of a place in the game, they can't gather points by nomination. So those nominations will simply be deleted. You better use those points for other girls you want to enter the competition.

He's right, and at this rate, eight girls will pretty much have secured their place with a lot of nomination points, leaving only 9 slots to work with.

Psieye
2008-01-23, 08:33
Oh let him be, he wants to pour illogical love on his favourite charas - it's his way of showing loyalty~

Deathkillz
2008-01-23, 15:26
Shameless fanboy is me :D

(I know it hasn't started yet but like psieye said...this is my way to show my loyalty to mai wifus :D just bare with my selfishness...but the solution to this is really to get more people noticing this thread to offer more candidates).

Siegel Clyne
2008-01-24, 04:48
Well, Suigintou did win Nico Nico Douga's 11th Aisare Kyara Senshuken (Beloved Character Championship) held this past weekend.

Following Suigintou, who finished in 1st place, are Akagi Shigeru in 2nd place, Nagato Yuki in 3rd place, Suiseiseki in 4th place, Hiiragi Kagami in 5th place, and Hiiragi Tsukasa in 6th place.

For more info and links, search for "Aisare Kyara Senshuken" on Google, the forums, etc.

wontaek
2008-01-24, 05:37
I am not surprised by all the attention Horo is getting. I have been looking around several Korean website and almost all, INCLUDING MY WIFE, are following Spice and Wolf series. I think, at this rate, Horo may become the most favored character to win this year's SaiMoe and Best Moe.

Psieye
2008-01-24, 06:19
Hohoh... Akagi came 2nd in a "Most Beloved" Nico Nico tournament? That's fascinating XD

Cytrus
2008-01-24, 06:37
I am not surprised by all the attention Horo is getting. I have been looking around several Korean website and almost all, INCLUDING MY WIFE, are following Spice and Wolf series. I think, at this rate, Horo may become the most favored character to win this year's SaiMoe and Best Moe.

Not only will Spice and Wolf be long over when those competitions hit, but last year's "most favored character" - Suigintou - never reached top 8 in J Saimoe. If anyone had been able to predict a Rika vs. Nagi final months in advance, Saimoe wouldn't be half as fun.

Though I shouldn't spoil your enthusiasm. I just seem to be a bit more Horo-resistant than most.

Psieye
2008-01-24, 06:52
Oh, highlights usually don't get far in Saimoe - by nature they get hate voted and tactical voted to oblivion before they sit on the throne. That's not the point of Saimoe~ Well, it shouldn't be - but who am I to comment on how people interpret Saimoe? I'll just sit and enjoy the ZETSUBOU that rings around when a High Chara falls and nod that this character was very much loved~

minhtam1638
2008-01-24, 06:59
Not only will Spice and Wolf be long over when those competitions hit, but last year's "most favored character" - Suigintou - never reached top 8 in J Saimoe. If anyone had been able to predict a Rika vs. Nagi final months in advance, Saimoe wouldn't be half as fun.

Though I shouldn't spoil your enthusiasm. I just seem to be a bit more Horo-resistant than most.

Spice and Wolf will still be airing by the time Hinagiku vs. Shana, and ultimately FANVOTE #1 vs. Tsukasa, begins. And at the rate nominations are going, heavy nomination favorite Horo will be taking on Shana herself on Saturday. (And apologies to Shana, as I predict she'll start off 0-2.)

Oh, highlights usually don't get far in Saimoe - by nature they get hate voted and tactical voted to oblivion before they sit on the throne. That's not the point of Saimoe~ Well, it shouldn't be - but who am I to comment on how people interpret Saimoe? I'll just sit and enjoy the ZETSUBOU that rings around when a High Chara falls and nod that this character was very much loved~

I guarantee there WILL be tactical voting in this league, especially during the Diamond Period. It will be kind of different than Saimoe Japan's voting, in the sense that I will NOT be revealing match status (I just won't have the time) within the middle of a match, but by the time we head to the end of the season, there will be tactical votes in matchups where one is safely locked in for the double-elimination and the other isn't.

Example: Suppose on July 26, we have matchups of rankings close to #16. Assuming my nomination list stands as it is now, and that #13 to #20 are still on the bubble of making the top 16:

Featured matchups

#2 Yuki (SHnY) vs. #5 Horo (SW)

#3 Haruhi (SHnY) vs. #18 Nagisa (CL)
#6 Shana (SnS) vs. #14 Suiseiseki (RM)
#9 Fate (NA) vs. #17 Nanoha (NA)
#13 Nagi (HnG) vs. #15 Kotomi (CL)
#7 Sugintou (RM) vs. #20 Nia (TTGL)

Yuki vs. Horo will be hugely amazing to watch. However, in cases like these, the only matchup shown here that would be worth waiting is Nagi vs Kotomi. If Fate is safely in, the Nanoha legion will just end up giving votes to Nanoha, since Fate can afford one loss and Nanoha competely needs to be in. Haruhi may end up losing as well, as both her and Nagisa are Kyoto Animation characters. Sugintou's matchup against Nia (yes, Nia.) may be less likely to be lop-sided, but neutrals may lean over to Nia, which could make it either a really good match or a huge blow to Sugintou.

And as always, Crimson against Jade is unpredictable.

Eh, what the heck, I am horribly bad at keeping secrets. I'll reveal nomination standings as they are on the 31st of January, as I can't even hold it in.

Anyway, the website has been updated (finally) with the new schedule. The schedule page has now been redone with 7 sections instead of 10. The crystal necklaces I'm using are awards for being the best overall competitor within that section. The necklaces mean nothing when it comes to the top 16, as the strength of schedules are completely different within those sections - they're just there to make a girl look nice.

Also, contestant profiles have been updated to include the new schedule. You can see that Nagi's profile is also added. And after my breakfast in a few hours, I will also add six more characters on the contestants page.

And while I was adding the schedules, I realized now that there is one more special tag-team event on the schedule. I failed to notice this when I was making it:

Saturday, April 14
Earth vs. Wind, Part 1
Shinku vs. Hinagiku
Suiseiseki vs. Nagi

Saturday, May 24
Earth vs. Wind, Part 2
Shinku vs. Nagi
Suiseiseki vs. Hinagiku

Ironically, Hinagiku vs. Nagi and Suiseiseki vs. Shinku are also on the same day. If I could figure out how to set the schedule up like that, we may see some pretty interesting schedules next year.

Cytrus
2008-01-24, 07:51
^ We were referring more to non-ISML competitions... though that isn't the point of the thread : p.

So far, there is little to make one doubt Horo's high degree of success in ISML.

PS. I wonder if a sneak-peek at the nominations will galvanize some factions into action...

minhtam1638
2008-01-24, 07:56
^ We were referring more to non-ISML competitions... though that isn't the point of the thread : p.

So far, there is little to make one doubt Horo's high degree of success in ISML.

PS. I wonder if a sneak-peek at the nominations will galvanize some factions into action...

Well, I'm not sure whether to make it this board only or actually post the whole thing on the website. I'd rather do it one board only and let it leak, but then it might not be fair that only AnimeSuki knows and the rest of the world doesn't.

I'll only post names of those who are above 15 pts in nomination, as there were over 200 that were nominated.

And when it comes to factions, the only ones I truly know of are Rozen Maiden, Nanoha, and KyoAni. Granted, all three should be satisfied. Some people in the top 17 may surprise people.

FlareKnight
2008-01-24, 09:24
Just never know with tournaments how things are going to turn out. Well at least know there will be zetsubou everywhere you look.

Should be pretty interesting to see how the nominations stand. Just a lot of curiosity there. Sure there are some characters your pretty confident to be seeing there, but otherwise plenty of room for ones you didn't even consider when making your picks.

Well hopefully Horo does a good job in the moe tournaments she takes part in. More you like a character, the more nervous one can be at times about what is going to happen.

minhtam1638
2008-01-25, 17:57
Rin's profile is added. And I finally added six other characters to the contestants page...

Westlo
2008-01-25, 18:18

Yeah unless a second season comes out in Summer or Fall... and seeing how the 7th novel is out and the first "seems" to be covering just the first two there is every possibility of that happening, Horo will probably lose a lot of momentum.

Though I'll be flying the flag for her still *waves flag*

Psieye
2008-01-27, 00:44
Hmm... Saimoe 2007 thread is now closed so I guess this'll go here:

Saimoe 2007 Poster collection (http://dc19.4shared.com/download/36059800/75e21ee/Saimoe_2007_Posters.zip) - compactly re-encoded to be 1/3 its original size without (visibly) losing quality.

Link will stay in my sig for the next foreseeable several months.

minhtam1638
2008-01-28, 10:21
Phew... College work has finally caught up to me. Been busy as of late, so the website has been albeit a bit quiet, though nominations have picked up the pace. Got a lot of work due tomorrow (and some overdue, though I did that on purpose), but I'll try to get some stuff done here as well. I gave two more anime communities the slip to ISML, and they've been quite interested, though I might leave a little post-it note here and there.

I'll see if I can get something done tonight.

Saber Cherry
2008-01-29, 01:30
I find this project very interesting, and I want to see where it goes. I can't be of much help, though.

That said, these were my nominations:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7820/35838359gy3.png

I guess there's a whole month to wait now....

/bows

No Shana? Odd.

minhtam1638
2008-01-29, 02:49
/bows

No Shana? Odd.

People don't read the rules these days... I should just raise the font size on them so that they know what the rules are. At least OverFunk reads.

In Black, White, Maroon, and any other color on the contestants page:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/proof2.jpg

By the way: There's a new post on the news page concerning job openings. I am slaughtered with work right now, so I haven't had the time to work on the league as much as I wanted. Therefore, I am (still) asking for some help. Any way to improve the league, that's fine with me, as long as I agree with it.

Psieye
2008-01-29, 07:05
Hmm... that is not the best way to get a Japanese translation of the 'welcome page' (or however you will call the pages you want translated). If nobody shows up I'll look through my list of contacts and ask them to fix my attempts.

And as a general rule, people do not read rules. Important ones need to be constantly rammed down throats at times - sometimes in the form of "confirmation pages/popups" (i.e. "are you sure you know of this rule?" messages).

minhtam1638
2008-01-29, 07:55
Hmm... that is not the best way to get a Japanese translation of the 'welcome page' (or however you will call the pages you want translated). If nobody shows up I'll look through my list of contacts and ask them to fix my attempts.

And as a general rule, people do not read rules. Important ones need to be constantly rammed down throats at times - sometimes in the form of "confirmation pages/popups" (i.e. "are you sure you know of this rule?" messages).

Heh, yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the most proper way to achieve the things I want to achieve. Some of the options I have been using right now are not the best options out there, but that's because I usually don't realize what the best options are until time passes and experience is gained. Although this is not the first time I have been taking an administrative approach to anything in general, this is the first time I'm doing it with a larger community, which does put the pressure on me to get everything right.

And after an impressive first semester of my college career, I know all about pressure. Just figuring out the best option to do things is all.

I think I'm going to have to include the list of already qualified characters on the nomination page itself, since I've been receiving a lot of rule-breaking nominations lately.

Psieye
2008-01-29, 08:06
Hmm... I forgot you hadn't watched most of these series that you're trying to do a public profile for. I'll leave the ISML Announcer Guy paragraphs to you, but (whenever I can pull myself away from work, anime, Mahjong {Japanese rules} and the Princess Maker series) I can write the background stuff - i.e. that first paragraph you spend all those hours researching. Or at least, I can ask others to toss up a suitable description if they happen to have some sort of writer's block.

minhtam1638
2008-01-31, 13:52
Hmm... I forgot you hadn't watched most of these series that you're trying to do a public profile for. I'll leave the ISML Announcer Guy paragraphs to you, but (whenever I can pull myself away from work, anime, Mahjong {Japanese rules} and the Princess Maker series) I can write the background stuff - i.e. that first paragraph you spend all those hours researching. Or at least, I can ask others to toss up a suitable description if they happen to have some sort of writer's block.

That would definitely be perfect. Legitimately, the only ones I can do without spending hours researching is Shakugan no Shana and Kanon, and maybe Clannad. If I'm in a good mood, Fate/Stay Night and Zero no Tsukaima, though they aren't as enriched as Shana's. Pretty much it. Anything else, I research.

I was just tipped by tripperazn that Hinagiku's profile contained spoiler information, which shouldn't be a problem now, but I'll be a little worried about this type of thing when Clannad hits the table, as the anime itself is completely finished (by the time nominations are over, writing Kyou's and Nagisa's profile will be a huge disaster). I don't want to be focusing on updating background biographies come match days, and I cannot mark profiles as spoiler information because it won't look clean. I did PM tripperazn to rewrite Hinagiku's profile, but part of me is saying to leave it as it is, even if it is spoiler information.

Rozen Maiden is next on my anime to watch list, but I haven't been watching anime except Shana II and Clannad since I started working on ISML. I may start it sometime now and then, since Shinku's profile is after the international message on my to-write list, but I would like to work on other aspects on the league as well.

EDIT: Wow. A lot of work I had to get done, and a lot of work I have to get done. I did promise a sneak peak, so I'll get that up in a second.

Shinku's profile is completed. I also have half of the "international welcome" address done as well, so I'll finish that hopefully by tonight.

EDIT 2: Sneak peek at the nominations is now included in the first post. (Yes, all five of them.)

OverFunk
2008-01-31, 15:24
Saber is quite a nice surprise to see. I died of moe to her since that doujin that featured chibi Saber. Also, fuck yeah Seto San.

Tamaki might still fall out D:

The severe lack of Osaka should be punished.

Other than that, wtf KyoAni.

And as a final comment, I wonder how this will impact of the remaining 2 weeks. I kinda see that the top nominations won't gain too many votes, and a war will ensue around the 17th place. You just made more exciting, good job.

minhtam1638
2008-01-31, 15:32
Saber is quite a nice surprise to see. I died of moe to her since that doujin that featured chibi Saber. Also, fuck yeah Seto San.

Tamaki might still fall out D:

The severe lack of Osaka should be punished.

Other than that, wtf KyoAni.

And as a final comment, I wonder how this will impact of the remaining 2 weeks. I kinda see that the top nominations won't gain too many votes, and a war will ensue around the 17th place. You just made more exciting, good job.

I see that the top nominations won't gain too many as well. In the case of Horo and maybe Sakura Kinamoto, I think they will still be consistent, and either one will take the top fanslot (and face Shana on the first Saturday) to get in. Kyou and Kotomi will take the short end of the stick for the Clannad nominations for now. And for 17th place, it is war.

Speaking of Clannad, yes, all 5 storefront girls would be in at this point. 5 Kanon girls (ix-nay on Makoto for Sayuri) would also be in, with Nayuki, Mai, and Sayuri already qualified. And for the Air cast, I was kind of shocked to see Misuzu taking the majority of the Air vote rather than a split. She's holding up there nicely.

Unless participation for this league kicks up, I don't see the top 5 falling out at all, though they may end up lower on the list, therefore affecting their schedules. Nagisa could still potentially fall out given that some voters may overlook her numbers "62" and "+18" and think she's safely in.

Personally, I believe that from 24th (Ryou) up, all 24 of them deserve to be in. It's just that we have no room at the inn, so we'll see a lot of fans disappointed.

And being as I currently have 176 (legal) nominations, if there is a huge drive for the popularity of this tournament, we may see a full-scale swing, which means I would probably have to update the nomination standings again on the 7th (Lunar New Year, woot!), 11th, and maybe 13th.

And what is this about chibi-Saber?

OverFunk
2008-01-31, 15:39
I see that the top nominations won't gain too many as well. In the case of Horo and maybe Sakura Kinamoto, I think they will still be consistent, and either one will take the top fanslot (and face Shana on the first Saturday) to get in. Kyou and Kotomi will take the short end of the stick for the Clannad nominations for now. And for 17th place, it is war.

Personally, I believe that from 24th (Ryou) up, all 24 of them deserve to be in. It's just that we have no room at the inn, so we'll see a lot of fans disappointed.

And being as I currently have 176 (legal) nominations, if there is a huge drive for the popularity of this tournament, we may see a full-scale swing, which means I would probably have to update the nomination standings again on the 7th (Lunar New Year, woot!), 11th, and maybe 13th.

That's another interesting thing, I wonder how strategy/tactical will fare out here. Do Kyou/Horo/Sakura fans want to face Shana almost right at the start? It may be easier/harder later on...

And what is this about chibi-Saber?

http://www.tsukuru.info/ggal/FSN_-_Chicchakunacchatta.rar

Warning: May induce Diabeetus.

minhtam1638
2008-01-31, 16:00
That's another interesting thing, I wonder how strategy/tactical will fare out here. Do Kyou/Horo/Sakura fans want to face Shana almost right at the start? It may be easier/harder later on...

First disclaimer - nobody looks at the schedule until probably a week before the actual match. Assuming that some people do...

Well, generally, this will be a dilemma for Kyou, Horo, Saber, Sakura, and Kotomi. There's only that much of a gap between 1st and 18th, so it's either "play against Shana" or "don't play at all." This could be trouble for the new nominators who do pay attention. I wouldn't worry about it because most of the new ones will probably not notice the standings and schedule pages until after they nominate for the first time, but it does play a factor.

Let's take the Aquamarine Period to evaluate the starting schedules. Assuming that nominations do stand as to where they are now:

FANVOTE #1 - Kyou Fujibayashi (CL)
Saturday, March 1 - Shana (SnS)
Thursday, March 13 - Fate Testarossa (NA)
Saturday, March 15 - Nagi Sanzenin (HnG)

FANVOTE #2 - Horo (SW)
Tuesday, March 4 - Shinku (RM)
Thursday, March 6 - Sugintou (RM)
Thursday, March 13 - Rika Furude (HNKN)
Saturday, March 15 - Yuki Nagato (SHnY)

FANVOTE #3 - Saber (FSN)
Saturday, March 1 - Hinagiku Katsura (HnG)
Saturday, March 8 - Yuki Nagato (SHnY)

FANVOTE #4 - Sakura Kinamoto (CS)
Thursday, March 6 - Eri Sawachika (SR)
Thursday, March 13 - Mikuru Asahina (SHnY)

FANVOTE #5 - Kotomi Ichinose (CL)
Thursday, March 6 - Haruhi Suzumiya (SHnY)

And, so on. Really, it's pretty much a mine field for the top 3 postions, as the 1st will be dangerous (two Kugimiya's and a Nanoha mage), 2nd is Rozen Maiden territory and then some, and the 3rd is a Hinagiku - Yuki upkeep. But I'm pretty sure not many people will notice it (unless they're reading this post) and will probably just go on. Everybody's facing Shana eventually.

I should also note that Shana vs. #1 and Hinagiku vs. #3 matchups on March 1st may or may not be overshadowed by Suiseiseki vs. Sugintou, but we'll see.

Cytrus
2008-01-31, 17:04
Clannad should suffer from show-split, heck, Kyoani should suffer from studio-split (maybe the only studio recognizable enough to face this issue in the moe category), but it's hard to tell at all.

Which does not prevent me from still cheering Yutaka and Shiori on.

Saber and Nia are surprises - the first one being a bit on the gar side most of the time, and the second one usually getting ran over in Saimoe contests to date. But I'm most puzzled by the much-hated Vivio appearing on the least, and not some other Nanoha lasses.

Some obvious trends are visible, like Tomoyo Daidoji sacrificing herself to guarantee Sakura entrance. Older series are hit most badly by the one-character-only tendency.

I'm confident people who see this before nominating will be affected in their voting patterns. Few would nominate minor characters who do not appear on the list if they feel they can affect the outcome by voting for one of the borderline gals.

Psieye
2008-01-31, 20:13
Saber is very well loved in doujins. When people are thinking Saber Moe, they are likely thinking of Kodomo Saber, Chibi Saber, Rocket Punch, Saber-tank, the Penguin (Fate/Hollow Atraxia), etc.

Kerigis
2008-01-31, 22:24
I have a problem when viewing the website. Specifically on the character's profiles.

The pictures (both the portrait and the full pic) look chipped. Though when I copy-paste them on paint, they look well. Is there anything to solve this?

DragoonKain3
2008-02-01, 01:40
AH @#@#%@#. I accidentally pressed the enter button, and I nominated only 3 people. Anyway I can cancel my first nomination and go with a second one?

5 - Misuzu Kamio
4 - Reika Houjo
3 - Kyou Fujibayashi

Somewhere along there I would've voted for Sakura and Kotomi. While I had characters that more moe, being a realist I thought just to vote for those who I think who actually has a chance against the heavy hitters. I mean, as much as I love, say, Kaminagi Ryoko from Zegapain, I know she don't stand a chance against the likes of Haruhi for example.

alphastickmania
2008-02-01, 06:15
AH @#@#%@#. I accidentally pressed the enter button, and I nominated only 3 people. Anyway I can cancel my first nomination and go with a second one?

5 - Misuzu Kamio
4 - Reika Houjo
3 - Kyou Fujibayashi

Somewhere along there I would've voted for Sakura and Kotomi. While I had characters that more moe, being a realist I thought just to vote for those who I think who actually has a chance against the heavy hitters. I mean, as much as I love, say, Kaminagi Ryoko from Zegapain, I know she don't stand a chance against the likes of Haruhi for example.

Dude, don't worry. Just use the nominations page again and fill in who you want to nominate for 2 & 1 points. minhtam2448 will just fill them in for you.

minhtam1638
2008-02-01, 07:03
I have a problem when viewing the website. Specifically on the character's profiles.

The pictures (both the portrait and the full pic) look chipped. Though when I copy-paste them on paint, they look well. Is there anything to solve this?

Either don't use Internet Explorer or upgrade it. alphastickmania had the same problem. I suggest you use Mozilla Firefox to view the website.

DragoonKain3
2008-02-01, 08:35
Dude, don't worry. Just use the nominations page again and fill in who you want to nominate for 2 & 1 points. minhtam2448 will just fill them in for you.
Thanks! I was just worried I'll get banned this early for 'multi-nominating'. Though really, I wasn't sure if that meant voting for the same person twice OR using the nomination form twice, and I didn't want to take the chance. ^^;

minhtam1638
2008-02-01, 09:31
Thanks! I was just worried I'll get banned this early for 'multi-nominating'. Though really, I wasn't sure if that meant voting for the same person twice OR using the nomination form twice, and I didn't want to take the chance. ^^;

If I suspect anything, I usually check through the communities who discuss this competition to make sure it wasn't somebody proxy-voting. If I didn't do that double scan, Horo wouldn't have gotten half as many votes as she had.

If there is anything I understand about IP addresses as an administrator, it is that sometimes a group of households who use the same wireless system generally use the same IP address. Depending on who was nominated and at what time frame, I usually go lenient on ones where a set of nominations are completely different and the time frame is about three days or so. If an IP address submitted a second submission, I usually check the first to make sure it wasn't some sort of multi-voting.

minhtam1638
2008-02-02, 22:34
Vietnamese New Year celebration this weekend, so I haven't really gotten around to doing any updates this week - just a tally of the nominations and a little revising on my draft for the foreign welcome address. It's a full blown event this weekend, and where I'll be won't have any internet access (which can be countered by marathoning Rozen Maiden). Once I get all my college work settled, you'll see a website update shortly.

Also, I am looking at some other poll scripts as well, just to optimize performance so that I can just take a scanthrough at voting patterns. Hopefully, we can put it in a way that I will have timegraphs set as well.

qtipbrit
2008-02-03, 19:09
Ah, my first ten choices or so have already been nominated. :rolleyes:
Here we are, then:

5 - Matsuri Shiho / Sola
4 - Kyou Fujibayashi / Clannad
3 - Reika Houjo / Goshusho-sama Ninomiya-kun
2 - Horo / Spice and Wolf
1 - Hanyuu / Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

I had a friend who wanted me to post his submissions as well, so:

5 - Osaka / Azumanga Daioh
4 - Matsuri Shiho / Sola
3 - Chihiro Shindo / ef - A Tale of Memories
2 - Tamaki / Bamboo Blade
1 - Kaede Fuyou / Shuffle!

oh, and enjoy Tết (Next week). ;)
Viet power.

minhtam1638
2008-02-04, 07:18
Website updated, finally.

And even more finally - TSO (Touhou Saimoe administrator) finally got back to me. He/she is willing to help, just that I need to contact him/her if I still need it. I'm still looking at possible poll scripts and thinking about which one to use, and I'll probably just contact TSO once I have initiated it, just to get some starting ground.

Psieye
2008-02-04, 09:41
Ahaha, best to contact her early than late - probably around when you start testing poll scripts (i.e. before the tournament actually starts).

minhtam1638
2008-02-07, 22:39
Alright guys, I'm busy at work tallying nominations, and so far, I don't like what I see. Multiple cases of multi-voting have led me to discount so many of them into the trash, and now it's got to the point where I have found two IP addresses doing mass multi voting for the following:

203.162.3.xxx (Vietnam)
5 - Akari Mizunashi (ARIA)
4 - Hecate (SnS)
3 - Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
2 - Ryou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
1 - Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad)

118.68.0.xxx (Vietnam)
5 - Saya Minatsuki (Black Cat)

So guess what? There will be a case of IP banning during the course of the following week. Now in addition of looking at poll scripts, I will also be busy trying to find a script (or edit the current one) that can ban these IP addresses. I will also be on the lookout for these combinations, and although I may be in the mood to let a few slip, I can detect if there are many. Let this be a warning to all who plan to smite me this year. Of course, this doesn't stop multi-banning as a whole. There's a lot of Setsuna Sakurazaki (NG) nominations, and though most of them were legit, there were some full of different IP addresses that I suspected were proxies, which were discounted, of course.

Another interesting fact: Vietnam and Indonesia are being very active in this tournament as far as I have seen.

I haven't even got to 25% of the current nominations and already it looks like the Kyou Fujibayashi clan is running away with the nominations. I can see the reasoning behind it - by the time Tsukasa vs. FANVOTE #1 starts, Clannad will still be airing, meaning that Kyou, full-blown tsundere from what we've seen, already has the momentum to knock out (within the Clannad airdates) Shana, Kagami, Fate, and Nagi, as well as three of the next four top nominations. We may see a driving force in this league, and unless the lot of you spread the word to other anime communities (especially outside of KyoAni fangroups), we may see Kyou ultimately locking herself into the top 16 with a very good chance of winning the whole enchilada.

Seriously, no offense to Clannad, Kanon, Lucky Star, or Haruhi, since they are some of the top animes on my list, but I just might be voting Anti-KyoAni for this league.

Sirth
2008-02-07, 23:05
Aww. At least vote if you like the character despite the Kyoani origination.

FlareKnight
2008-02-08, 01:18
I haven't even got to 25% of the current nominations and already it looks like the Kyou Fujibayashi clan is running away with the nominations. I can see the reasoning behind it - by the time Tsukasa vs. FANVOTE #1 starts, Clannad will still be airing, meaning that Kyou, full-blown tsundere from what we've seen, already has the momentum to knock out (within the Clannad airdates) Shana, Kagami, Fate, and Nagi, as well as three of the next four top nominations. We may see a driving force in this league, and unless the lot of you spread the word to other anime communities (especially outside of KyoAni fangroups), we may see Kyou ultimately locking herself into the top 16 with a very good chance of winning the whole enchilada.

Seriously, no offense to Clannad, Kanon, Lucky Star, or Haruhi, since they are some of the top animes on my list, but I just might be voting Anti-KyoAni for this league.I like Kyou just fine, but doubt I'd be behind getting her into the winners circle. Though I guess we'll see how all the forces come together in this tournament. Though I suppose my personal preferences won't be that critical in the overall direction that the matches take.

Not one to go against a character based on series affiliation or anything like that. If I like them they are in, if not they won't get the vote.

minhtam1638
2008-02-08, 02:01
I like Kyou just fine, but doubt I'd be behind getting her into the winners circle. Though I guess we'll see how all the forces come together in this tournament. Though I suppose my personal preferences won't be that critical in the overall direction that the matches take.

Not one to go against a character based on series affiliation or anything like that. If I like them they are in, if not they won't get the vote.

We'll see how it goes, then. Because of how Kyou seems to be dominating the rankings, I would expect her to be up there with the likes of Haruhi (virtual teammate) and Shana. We will truly see.

You guys should feel privileged. You get to know things 15 minutes in advance from where they appear on the website.

FIRST POST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH THE NEW STANDINGS

Now onto my analysis.

As expected from some of us analysts, factions did emerge. From what I've seen, Vietnam has increased participation, and if my data is correct, they've just passed the United States (technically the country that is hosting the event) with Indonesia, also increasing in participation, close behind.

Kyoto Animation - or namely, Clannad has become a complete new world order in Saimoe. With Kyou safely in, voters now turned their attention to her twin sister Ryou, and a drive from 24th to 11th has her possibly entering this tournament ad a darkhorse. Even so, the overwhelming increase of Clannad voters was just crazy. Kyou went 100+ over the 17th place bubble, and Kotomi and Nagisa moved into the top 3 with a little breathing room over Horo.

Other factions that were involved were Negima?!'s Setsuna Sakurazaki and Ef's Chihiro Shindo, which I'm pretty sure came from individual countries who have increased participation.

Also as expected, I knew that some people would have to give breathing room. I did expect Nia to fall like a rock, simply because I know a lot of people wouldn't take lightly to seeing a Gurren Lagaan character in this league. Reika Houjou was also somewhat expected to fall, but as I didn't know much about her, I didn't think the series was too popular. Hanyuu was a surprise to see on the outside looking in. Either way, all three are still in the running. All they need is a surge.

Tamaki Kawazoe is on the bubble. I just picked up Bamboo Blade thanks to my university's anime club, and she's got part of my votes as of now, so we'll see. 12th to 20th look really tight right now, so it may as well be war.

I did not expect Sakura Kinamoto to fall from 4th to 10th. The lack of votes she received this week was surprising.

Overall, we'll see wars here and there, so we'll find out who'll get a Valentine's greeting from the current ISML competitors.

FlareKnight
2008-02-08, 17:33
Well the standings leave something to think about. If I hadn't already voted I'd be out to do what I can to change things :).

Kyou I could see getting in, but wow Ryou would not have been one of my picks to even make the cut much less blast as high into the standings as she currently is. Clannad really has come out hitting hard I'll agree. It's shocking how they have taken over the top of the standings and will be hard to beat. No wonder anti-groups come into being when there is that much firepower centered in one series.

Some characters to be worried about. Hanyuu has to do something to get into there, just hanging outside right now. Should be enough support somewhere out there. Also sad that without a real boost Runa won't even make it to the show to go up against San.

Good to see how Vietnam is doing in participation. Wonder how good old Canada is doing in getting characters into this.

minhtam1638
2008-02-08, 21:48
Just a little update: Kyou has passed the 200 mark, but there is a really tight battle for 2nd with points ranging from 137 - 146 between five contestants. As for the race for 17th, scores range in the 80s and it's 6 contestants for 4 slots so far. But anything can happen.

Ithekro
2008-02-10, 00:36
Hello.

Out of curiosity, will you be posting or presenting who all was nominated after all the votes are in? I'm interested to see just who all these 303(+) candidates are. Curiosity mainly, but also to see what some people consider moe, but just not in enough quantity to get into the tournament.

minhtam1638
2008-02-10, 00:56
Hello.

Out of curiosity, will you be posting or presenting who all was nominated after all the votes are in? I'm interested to see just who all these 303(+) candidates are. Curiosity mainly, but also to see what some people consider moe, but just not in enough quantity to get into the tournament.

I will be posting the complete Excel file (or what's accessible at least) on the website in an "Archive" section, so you will be able to see all the names.

Just to warn you - not all nominations are on there. A handful nominations have been discarded for either of these two reasons.

1. I was not able to confirm that the character existed in an anime
2. A male character or an asexual character nominated failed the background check by not exhibiting female qualities. (Just because a guy has a female seiyuu does not mean that the guy exhibits female qualities, Shusuke Fuji.)

minhtam1638
2008-02-11, 11:22
*sigh* a lot of work to do on my end. I got a lab report to finish, and a paper due Thursday. I'll see if I can come up with a nomination update soon.

Ithekro
2008-02-12, 18:05
Take your time. What is important is the future.

And thank you in advance for the complete list of nominees.

I take it some moe males made the list? Traps mostly I'd guess. From bullied trap Ayasaki Hayate, to part-time trap Makoto (Mako-chan), to full time trap, sometimes woman, Jun Watarase.

minhtam1638
2008-02-12, 23:56
I am seriously thinking about moving ISML dates back again. I feel as if I need more time to prepare.

Anyway, I finally picked a pollscript and decided to probably try to test it.

The first test would be just a survey question - whether the voters prefer I move the dates back two to four weeks or whether I should just go with what I have. There are a lot of benefits for the league in general if I move it back two to four weeks, and of course, it definitely helps me, since I can spend a little more time for preparation. It's better to stall and come up with something better than just go with what you have. The only con here is that I've already scaled dates back one month already, and I'm doing it again, which does give a negative impression of my administrative skills as a whole. The survey will be what the people want, but my gut feeling is that I'll just move it back another month.

The second test will be two exhibition matches: Nanoha (NA) vs. Souseiseki (RM) and Fate (NA) vs. Suiseiseki (RM), the third will be four matches picked at random, fourth will be 16 "within title series" matches, all of which will not count toward the regular season as a whole but as a test.

But yeah, I will definitely need more time. I will be looking at the pollscript to get a better understanding of it, and then put it on the server. I will also be thinking of proposals as to what I would do when I move the series back, including whether or not I should lock in Kyou Fujibayashi in the #1 slot for leading at the regular deadline.

Take your time. What is important is the future.

And thank you in advance for the complete list of nominees.

I take it some moe males made the list? Traps mostly I'd guess. From bullied trap Ayasaki Hayate, to part-time trap Makoto (Mako-chan), to full time trap, sometimes woman, Jun Watarase.

Some did, some didn't. Jun Watarase was accepted. Hayate Ayasaki... sort of. All Hayate nominations went under the name "Hermione Ayasaki".

Spectacular_Insanity
2008-02-13, 00:58
[Off-topic]
I still find it odd that there's no definition for "MOE" in the first post. Just like there's no definition (or hell, even guidelines) for GAR in the SaiGAR thread. Weird.

Not like I need it, but still, I thought someone would have thought of that.
[/Off-topic]

Okay, back on topic now, I would say traps are valid. Even if the anime they come from aren't good, obviously they were compelling enough characters in their own right. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Psieye
2008-02-13, 06:10
*looks around* Ah, that test poll isn't available yet I see. Get it up so I can vote "push it back a month".

Oh and I wasn't the only one who nominated Hermione?

minhtam1638
2008-02-13, 06:14
*looks around* Ah, that test poll isn't available yet I see. Get it up so I can vote "push it back a month".

Oh and I wasn't the only one who nominated Hermione?

Well, I'm reading the readme file on how to do it so I know what does what, all the way into the last details so I can help myself come Computer Programming tests.

And no, you're not the only one who nominated Hermione.

wontaek
2008-02-15, 00:49
I believe it is the 15th, now.

minhtam1638
2008-02-16, 00:12
Nomination polls are currently closed. As I did postpone the opening match and the rest of the season to the beginning of April, you guys will have to await an announcement regarding nominations. Most likely, they will be re-opened. I am currently looking at possible scenarios in regards as to how to do the second nomination period - whether I would allow a re-nomination or not from the people who voted in the first period, whether to lock contestants 100 points ahead of the final vote-in slot (in this case, only Kyou Fujibayashi at the moment) before the second nomination period, and whether the nomination period will take four weeks or three, depending on the situation.

I am leaning toward a second nomination period because of the following statistics regarding country participation -

United States - 26.72%
Vietnam - 16.03%
Indonesia - 10.18%
Canada - 5.60%
Singapore - 5.09%
Mexico - 3.82%
Australia - 3.31%
United Kingdom - 3.05%
Germany - 2.54%
Philippines - 2.29%
Malaysia - 2.04%
Netherlands - 2.04%
------------------------------
South Korea - 0.51%
Japan - 0.25%
China - 0.00%

As much as I had planned to do it, I haven't quite finished it yet. And I am still having trouble looking for a Japanese translator. Japan doesn't know about this at all, so I would like to say at least something. I will have to assume that China also does not know about this. As for South Korea, the folks at Anizone (the host of Korea Best Moe) have criticized this league a bit for targeting an English-community, which is not exactly bull's eye.

I am working on a lot of things right now regarding the league as a little makeup for being out sick. Full standings for all 347 (if I got that right) nominated contestants will be up on the website shortly, and I will be editing (oh, joy) every single advertising post I've made on other boards as well. A lot that I have to do right now, which is a good thing I've postponed it until April 3rd, after Easter break.

FlareKnight
2008-02-16, 01:02
Glad Canada beat out a good chunk of competition. But still good gap between them and the upper echelon.

minhtam1638
2008-02-16, 02:52
Nominations posted on the topic starter. It's only top 40, however, so you're going to have to wait until I update the website for that.

EDIT: Website updated.

wontaek
2008-02-16, 03:54
Nomination polls are currently closed. As I did postpone the opening match and the rest of the season to the beginning of April, you guys will have to await an announcement regarding nominations. Most likely, they will be re-opened. I am currently looking at possible scenarios in regards as to how to do the second nomination period - whether I would allow a re-nomination or not from the people who voted in the first period, whether to lock contestants 100 points ahead of the final vote-in slot (in this case, only Kyou Fujibayashi at the moment) before the second nomination period, and whether the nomination period will take four weeks or three, depending on the situation.

I am leaning toward a second nomination period because of the following statistics regarding country participation -

United States - 26.72%
Vietnam - 16.03%
Indonesia - 10.18%
Canada - 5.60%
Singapore - 5.09%
Mexico - 3.82%
Australia - 3.31%
United Kingdom - 3.05%
Germany - 2.54%
Philippines - 2.29%
Malaysia - 2.04%
Netherlands - 2.04%
------------------------------
South Korea - 0.51%
Japan - 0.25%
China - 0.00%

As much as I had planned to do it, I haven't quite finished it yet. And I am still having trouble looking for a Japanese translator. Japan doesn't know about this at all, so I would like to say at least something. I will have to assume that China also does not know about this. As for South Korea, the folks at Anizone (the host of Korea Best Moe) have criticized this league a bit for targeting an English-community, which is not exactly bull's eye.

I am working on a lot of things right now regarding the league as a little makeup for being out sick. Full standings for all 347 (if I got that right) nominated contestants will be up on the website shortly, and I will be editing (oh, joy) every single advertising post I've made on other boards as well. A lot that I have to do right now, which is a good thing I've postponed it until April 3rd, after Easter break.

I will post this in the Anizone, which is undergoing turmoil( In end it is about lack of money ).

I have given more thoughts about the 2nd nomination period and I think the best thing to do would be to let the top 5 advance, and have 2nd period determine the next 12 participants. You should let everyone vote again, but all characters keep the points they receive in the first nomination period. This may force many into interesting tactical voting schemes.

minhtam1638
2008-02-16, 13:19
I will post this in the Anizone, which is undergoing turmoil( In end it is about lack of money ).

I have given more thoughts about the 2nd nomination period and I think the best thing to do would be to let the top 5 advance, and have 2nd period determine the next 12 participants. You should let everyone vote again, but all characters keep the points they receive in the first nomination period. This may force many into interesting tactical voting schemes.

I was thinking almost exactly along the same lines except the top 5, in which I would have usually liked except Horo is only 4 points off of Hanyuu for the fifth spot. Realistically, my window was 100 points for a week-long comeback, and Kyou hasn't really slipped at all. She remained #1 almost throughout the contest, although Horo and Sakura gave her a run for her money. Regardless, I will take your consideration and add it to one of my options.

wontaek
2008-02-16, 22:56
I was thinking almost exactly along the same lines except the top 5, in which I would have usually liked except Horo is only 4 points off of Hanyuu for the fifth spot. Realistically, my window was 100 points for a week-long comeback, and Kyou hasn't really slipped at all. She remained #1 almost throughout the contest, although Horo and Sakura gave her a run for her money. Regardless, I will take your consideration and add it to one of my options.

I chose top 5 because we are allowed to list up to 5 characters. Current standing indicate clear #1 in Kyou, reasonably strong #2 group in Kotomi and Setsuna, and then I would lump next 6 together as 3rd group, but this would mean more than half of the eligible position. I do recommend at least let the Kyou in as one of higher seed ( she may be deserving of spot within top 10 ), since it would free up at least one spot for the new nomination lists people will fill.

minhtam1638
2008-02-17, 00:43
I chose top 5 because we are allowed to list up to 5 characters. Current standing indicate clear #1 in Kyou, reasonably strong #2 group in Kotomi and Setsuna, and then I would lump next 6 together as 3rd group, but this would mean more than half of the eligible position. I do recommend at least let the Kyou in as one of higher seed ( she may be deserving of spot within top 10 ), since it would free up at least one spot for the new nomination lists people will fill.

I was thinking of automatically giving Kyou the #1 fanvote slot, but since there isn't a clear #2, and definitely not a clear #5, I am partially against locking the top 5 for that sole reason alone. I'll hold off until I see the results from the test poll (in which I am not too happy about the new poll script right now).

Of course, if we're going to keep the results as it is for the second period, and someone does end up with a higher ranking, I may as well leave 16 slots open, wait for the 2nd results to come in, and then just double Kyou's 247 into a 494 and insert her to the actual listing for the final scheduling order. Except at this point, it doesn't matter who goes against who, as everybody will face each other at least once anyway, and as it is, Kyou has marquee matchups on Saturday anyway, so she deserves it because of her dominating performance.

We'll see what others seem to want, and then I'll make my decision.

UnDeaD
2008-02-17, 22:05
I believe the major issue preventing eastern voting is language based. No matter how much you try to promote the contest among Japanese or Korean it won't be taken seriously in English.

minhtam1638
2008-02-17, 22:39
I believe the major issue preventing eastern voting is language based. No matter how much you try to promote the contest among Japanese or Korean it won't be taken seriously in English.

Well, Japan and Korea doesn't have to be among the majority of voters, but South Korea - 2, Japan - 1, and China - 0 equals a cause for concern.

One of the key points that I'll be addressing in the statement is the language barrier. As this is the first year we are running this event, we will only be running this event under the English language. We hope to expand the website to include Japanese, Korean, and Chinese along with other languages in the near future.

cicido
2008-02-17, 23:00
Well, Japan and Korea doesn't have to be among the majority of voters, but South Korea - 2, Japan - 1, and China - 0 equals a cause for concern.

One of the key points that I'll be addressing in the statement is the language barrier. As this is the first year we are running this event, we will only be running this event under the English language. We hope to expand the website to include Japanese, Korean, and Chinese along with other languages in the near future.

I could inform people about this in Chinese forums, but trust me, you don't want those hackers to be involved.

wontaek
2008-02-18, 00:10
I recommend commencing the second nomination round as soon as possible. If second round starts within one week, I believe I can attract at least 20 voters from Korea. You people might be interested in checking on Male division Korean Best Moe Tournament which will resume within a week as well. I will post a news update on the tournament as soon as the monetary situation gets resolved. By the way, it is male division moe tournament, NOT gar tournament.

minhtam1638
2008-02-18, 01:05
I recommend commencing the second nomination round as soon as possible. If second round starts within one week, I believe I can attract at least 20 voters from Korea. You people might be interested in checking on Male division Korean Best Moe Tournament which will resume within a week as well. I will post a news update on the tournament as soon as the monetary situation gets resolved. By the way, it is male division moe tournament, NOT gar tournament.

Yeah, I saw that on Anizone myself (despite the 60.202.xx.xxx area still being banned to my dismay) and I didn't understand it at first, but I knew they were somewhat still active.

I have automatically decided that the second round of nominations will start in one week, but that's all I actually have decided. The options that I have come up with for the nominations have been laid out in front of me right now, and they will appear on the test poll that I have scheduled for Monday. As soon as I get a full understanding of the poll script that I switched to (and believe me, this script is much easier), I will get the test poll running.

Also, I am planning to contact TSO (Touhou Saimoe's technical administrator) for some backup once the scripts are ready, since she did say to contact her when I need help.

alphastickmania
2008-02-19, 05:20
lol. Indeed a lot of progress has been going on w/e me. Well, I am back for now during my *Ahem* one day break before the weekends. So if the league needs any help with something soon, do tell me so I can "try" and help. ^^

P.S : Try has "" because I have no idea what sort of funny homework they (My new school) might dump on me.

P.P.S : Anyone got a list for the people working on ISML for any rank? Including mods of the ISML forum and any form of helpers. (aka TL-ers)

Kerigis
2008-02-19, 12:52
Oh, and another issue concerning the "news" last post:

February, Monday 17, 2008 doesn't exist. Is it Monday 18 or March, Monday 17?

ironfrost
2008-02-20, 11:30

This is a problem with the website (probably with your location scripts). There should be at least one set of nominations from China, because I made them. I just traced my IP address and it does show up as Chinese, so that's not the problem.

minhtam1638
2008-02-21, 01:28
Exhaustion is starting to become a huge problem for me. The doctor told me to take it easy and just relax (meaning get some sleep) for a while until I feel ready to do some major work. And I'm going to need it, cause now I am so far behind in my college work, and deficiencies are going out next week. Looks like a few dates will be postponed again. I'll make an announcement on the website soon.

cicido
2008-02-21, 02:27
Exhaustion is starting to become a huge problem for me. The doctor told me to take it easy and just relax (meaning get some sleep) for a while until I feel ready to do some major work. And I'm going to need it, cause now I am so far behind in my college work, and deficiencies are going out next week. Looks like a few dates will be postponed again. I'll make an announcement on the website soon.

Rest first! :)

Maybe you can find somebody else who can work on this with you, because personal health and school should always come first ^_^

minhtam1638
2008-02-22, 00:36
Alright, here's the deal.

Friday Morning, the forecast is telling me "a 90% chance of snow" tomorrow, so I may or may not be able to get my make up assignments. Therefore, I only have one that I know of, and it's a fairly easy paper, so I am making a few website updates right now, and possibly more this weekend. Here's what is going on:

1. Nominations are officially re-opened. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the world's opinion on how I should do them due to my temporary absence, so I've made decisions of my own.

2. Anybody who nominated in the first round will get a free second vote.

3. Because I've been following the nominations since day 1, and pretty much Kyou has never faltered, even going toe to toe with the Horo rush before just outright dominating the competition, I've decided to just let Kyou in. Mostly in part because as far as I know, there are a lot of people who want to see more than 5 people in this thing. With Kyou now in, this opens up a slot for many of her supporters. (I may regret this, since we may see a Ryou rush now)

4. I've made some postponements again. These dates are likely to keep moving back, so stay tuned.

Anyway, as far as I know, Leap week (week of the 29th) will probably be hectic for me, since I would probably be rushing to get some of my stuff done. I'm wide awake and as good as I was three weeks ago when I was updating regularly, so I'm going to try to revamp this thing and we'll see where we go from there.

And since Clannad is off this week, that frees up more time. If anything, I may start writing news articles once everything is settled.

Rest first! :)

Maybe you can find somebody else who can work on this with you, because personal health and school should always come first ^_^

Believe me, I want to find somebody. I'm looking for somebody. I need help running this thing, and I need it so much. Saimoe competitions shouldn't ever be run by one person alone - that's just overkill, as I've been experiencing.

Ithekro
2008-02-22, 01:09
How long will the second nomination process be open?

minhtam1638
2008-02-22, 01:22
How long will the second nomination process be open?

Because the first nomination period was open for 4 weeks, the second nomination period will be open for 4 weeks. Nominations end on March 20th. There will be updates on Thursdays as far as my schedule allows it, so there might not be an update for the first week, as college work absolutely forbids me from doing it.

Ithekro
2008-02-22, 01:45
Groovy. A nice long period of time.

OverFunk
2008-02-22, 07:42
Another vote? Nice, maybe we can still fix this.

5- Kawazoe Tamaki - Bamboo Blade
4- Seto San - Seto no Hanayome
3- Saber - Fate/Stay Night
2- Nia - TTGL
1- Tsukamoto Yakumo - School Rumble

w00tness
2008-02-22, 11:20
5 - Kiri Komori - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
4 - Illyasviel von Einzbern - Fate/Stay Night
3 - Eve - Black Cat
2 - Yakumo Tsukamoto - School Rumble
1 - Horo - Spice and Wolf

Whitefish
2008-02-22, 12:43
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9568/saimoenominationlr3.png

Khaos
2008-02-22, 14:00
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9568/saimoenominationlr3.png

Fail :heh:

Ithekro
2008-02-22, 14:45
Osaka and Chiyo need some love, as do the Minami sisters. I do wonder what has happened to the old school women of anime. Aren't some of them Moe?

I'll ponder this for a while. Will vote a little later.

Whitefish
2008-02-22, 17:20
Fail :heh:

Actually /a/ approved, but they wanted me to put Kaiji.

minhtam1638
2008-02-22, 18:11
Actually /a/ approved, but they wanted me to put Kaiji.

I've watched both Kaiji and Gurren Lagaan, and all I can say is... no.

minhtam1638
2008-02-23, 07:34
Okay, free day today because of a snow day, and it looks like my week ahead may be rough, but at least I should get all my work done, or at least what I need to do from my common knowledge.

Right now, I am fine-tuning my international welcome message, which is the speech that I wanted translated so that the non-English speaking voters feel somewhat welcome. Actually, I'm adding a nomination section, which will be hard to explain, but I think I can do it.

How do you vote when you don't understand English? It's easy, assuming you know how to open multiple windows. Simply put, click "Arena", open "Current matches" in a new tab, click "vote", then:

Refer to current matches page,
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/language-example.jpg

Go to the votes page
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/language-example2.jpg

Then put 2 and 2 together, like so.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/minhtam2448/language-example3.jpg

Then click vote, and you're done.

Anyway, we'll see where the website goes for this period.

UnDeaD
2008-02-23, 14:13
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3456/lolsaimoeqj7.jpg

:D

Mostly useless votes other than Nia, but whatever. :heh:

Edit: Just noticed I got a typo in "NTHT", damn.

minhtam1638
2008-02-24, 01:58
Alrighty guys. Schedule page has been revamped to include the new dates. The Aquamarine period had a major re-ordering. The Topaz period also saw a shift within its first week, but other than that, the order of opponents stayed pretty much the same.

Kyou Fujibayashi (CL) is now officially on the schedule.

wontaek
2008-02-24, 04:40
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3456/lolsaimoeqj7.jpg

:D

Mostly useless votes other than Nia, but whatever. :heh:

Edit: Just noticed I got a typo in "NTHT", damn.

Lana and Pio! Very good, sir.

Ithekro
2008-02-25, 18:51
You can add (if you like) "9th place Saigar 08" for Rena.

Note 4chan is already asking proxy guy to kill this contest as well.

minhtam1638
2008-02-26, 01:00
You can add (if you like) "9th place Saigar 08" for Rena.

Note 4chan is already asking proxy guy to kill this contest as well.

Eeh... that's something I got to work on as well. Is that the group who hosts Saimoe Japan? (doubt it, but it's a possibility)

In any case, proxies cannot totally be stopped, so I'm going to have to work extra hard. Not this week, most likely, since mid-term reviews are this week, but I do have a week off next week, so I'll see what I can do.

I already have a method of determining results unofficial and official. Because of the day-in-day-out schedule, I do have a set period of time to look over results and review them. It will be really a true check of results. The poll script test is not up, and may not be up for a while even if I think I'm ready to go do it now, but my method of examining results will depend on the order of output data it shows on my log.

If a match is listed for April 1st, then it will begin on April 1st at 0:00 GMT (which is 7:00 PM March 31st EST), and will end on April 2nd GMT, a span of 24 hours. From then, I will check for proxy voting depending on how the matches end up. I am unsure of how the order will be, either dominating matches first, close matches first, or total number of votes, but rest assured, I will be checking them. Results become official after 21 hours, which is 21:00 GMT, or 4:00PM EST, assuming my schedule permits it.

The one thing I will do is add the option of contesting the results, kind of what Korean Best Moe does (Eri vs. Mai prelims in Super Best Moe). If there is a problem with any match arena, then a voter (technically anyone) would be able to contact me via a contact form (or any other method, preferably the contact form or e-mail), and I will look at those matches first. Tsukasa cheating? Well, if Suiseiseki wins by the highest margin, and there are no requests to check results within my e-mail, then I'll check Suiseiseki's match first, and then the next highest margin, but I will be checking my e-mail in between inspection. Should a request to check Tsukasa come up, then I will go out of my original order to check Tsukasa's.

There is one guarantee in terms of proxies regarding nominations - it will do NOTHING (except give me a migraine). The nomination script only gives me who was given 5 pts and 4 pts and so on along with the IP address and the time the nomination was submitted. I check them periodically, enter it into my spreadsheet, and should I detect proxy voting patterns, I'll simply omit them. That simple.

minhtam1638
2008-02-26, 15:40
Test poll #1 completed. Actually, I spent a whole day or two working on the templates, so the polls itself will be smooth sailing.

The template itself consists of the standard 32, but since I'm learning about the new script and how it works, I figured it be best to start off with 2 matches (1 is too boring). This is a great opportunity to learn how the vote system works, how the time graphs will work (yes, we have time graphs), and so on. I'm still trying to figure out how to make this active for only 24 hours, but that will be figured out sooner or later.

I'm having problems doing what I want to do in todkapuz's server, so the test poll won't happen right away. Most likely, with a test on Friday and a retreat this weekend, you may see this exhibition match on Tuesday at 0:00 GMT. Wednesday, I will use this opportunity to learn how to check for proxy voting, just to get some experience under my belt.

Exhibition Match: Team battle - Suiseiseki vs. Fate, Souseiseki vs. Nanoha

I chose these two matchups because it's basically a rematch from both Saimoe 2005 and Saimoe 2006, something in which I really thought would be significant. I know the relationships between both the Seki twins and Fate and Nanoha, so I'd figure we would go do a team battle for this one.

Records will not go down into the books. More or less, this is an experimental match.

Ithekro
2008-02-27, 11:48
Giving new and old a chance (though first time around it was even older school..like 1970s and 1990s)

5- Ayumu Kasuga (Osaka)- Azumanga Daioh
4- Chaiki Minami - Minami-ke
3- Chiyo Mihama - Azumanga Daioh
2- Kaede Fuyou - Shuffle!
1- Ryou Fijibayashi - Clannad

minhtam1638
2008-02-28, 08:06
I was tallying nominations for a moment, and I got a kick out of the joke nominations I think were submitted by 4chan. Hilarious. I really enjoyed the joke ones. Especially the Kaiji ones. If I accepted all Kaiji nominations, he'd be up in the 60s right now. Note to all who are reading this: You want to make Kaiji more GAR by adding him to the Saimoe League? Put him in a dress and let me see it. Hehehe...

Too many nominations to tally, so they're going to be put off for a bit while I do my college work. I don't think you'll see an update tonight, but with a bit of luck, it might be possible. We'll see what happens.

DragoonKain3
2008-02-28, 08:30
Lol, Kaiji?

Anyways, any chance of an update for the tallies sometime before the deadline? I'm curious as to the standings right now, lol.

minhtam1638
2008-02-28, 10:53
Lol, Kaiji?

Anyways, any chance of an update for the tallies sometime before the deadline? I'm curious as to the standings right now, lol.

Deadline is March 20th. The plan was to update every Thursday, but as I'm loaded with work that I want done before Spring Vacation (and a block of time to work on ISML), I may not be able to have it up tonight. All depends on when and how I do my work. I should have it done by 11:00 AM EST Friday, but if not, I'll be working on it during Anime Club (yes, our president who was a SaiGAR fan knows of my work) and I should have it up soon.

I should mention that I am also going on a two-day retreat this weekend. All the more reason I need to get this stuff done.

DragoonKain3
2008-02-28, 18:59
Thanks! No hurries though, as I was just curious of the standings, as it was just something I was looking forward too like the last nomination period. It can wait till even the last day of the nomination period and I won't care lol. XD

Don't think really you need to do the standings every week, as halfway through the nomination should be more than enough IMO.

minhtam1638
2008-02-29, 05:15
Thanks! No hurries though, as I was just curious of the standings, as it was just something I was looking forward too like the last nomination period. It can wait till even the last day of the nomination period and I won't care lol. XD

Don't think really you need to do the standings every week, as halfway through the nomination should be more than enough IMO.

Well, with the flurries of nominations that have been come in lately, I would have to update my spreadsheet regularly, else I fall behind on the standings itself. And since I am so bad at keeping secrets, I decided to reveal them every single week.

FlareKnight
2008-03-03, 09:55
Well nice that we can get some more nominations back in. At least one more shot to get some characters I like into this thing.

5. Horo - Spice and Wolf
4. Edomae Runa - Seto no Hanayome
3. Illyasviel von Einzbern - Fate/Stay Night
2. Hanyuu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
1. Seto San - Seto no Hanayome

Horo: She had a good boost in the first round of voting so time to get Horo right at the top :). Has only gotten more appealing to me as the series has gone on. Such a powerful character in terms of personality. Not just one dimensional and so able to show many sides in an episode. Besides mess with someone who can turn into a giant wolf at your own peril.

Runa: Didn't have as strong an outing as I was hoping. While still up there didn't crack the number that was needed. Still think she has a good shot at making it though so we'll see. Think about the deeper personality and I can understand how she feels on some issues.

Illya: When thinking back on this series Illya really does deserve her shot at getting in. Could be a pretty dangerous little girl at times, but also pretty moe as well for an interesting combination to say the least. Could do well if has enough support to make it in.

Hanyuu: Glad to see the rush Hanyuu has made to really get into this. The girl just has way too much moe to not qualify. Just think back to her character song that was really moe overload and know she will do fine if qualified.

San: Well can't get my Runa and San matchup otherwise :). Honestly though she has done a fine job so far and could make it in with some more help. Already has shown she can do fairly well. Felt was a fine finish to the vote this time.

So there have given one more look at who I'll try and get into this thing. Hopefully the majority make it in and we'll have some interesting times.

minhtam1638
2008-03-04, 09:43
Community service project on Thursday, and I'm still trying to figure out the test poll problem (apparently, neither todkapuz nor myself knows what a full system path is), so the nomination update has been moved to Wednesday.

minhtam1638
2008-03-06, 23:28
I'm tired, so I'll make this short and sweet. Nomination standings have been updated and posted on the ISML website. The test poll problem has been fixed and the Rozen Maiden vs. Nanoha showdown will take place Saturday at 4:00 AM GMT. I'll make an official announcement once I get my deserved rest.

There's one swap between who's in and who's out as far as last week goes, but since I didn't give an official update last week, you might be interested in going as far as two weeks to see the changes that the second nomination period brings.

risingstar3110
2008-03-07, 01:38
First, wanna say good job MinhTam. It's very admireable to see how hard you work to bring up a competition by your own =]

Second, an idea just come up in my mind that "may" improve the voting system, and i want to share it out. But it may gonna be more works for you so i don't expect you gonna use it.
Well, it's not like a genius idea or anything, but do you think it will be better if you give some specific anime forum'communities a certain number % (your choice) of votes. And let a mod, put up polls to see if the specific forum favor one more than another.

It sound confused so i will make an example: you gave Animesuki forum a 3%. During a competition beween Shana and Hinagiku, a nice mod here will put up a poll to ask the forum (both old and new members) to vote for one. Voters should write something to prove their identity (as not spamming program). If Shana won the poll(which end by the time of the competition as well), her final amount of votes will increase by 3%, from 1000 to 1030 votes, which is not that much, but still can turn the table.
You can even design so if the poll do not show much difference, the % increase to Shana (even when she won the poll) will reduce to 2 or even 1%.

The idea of this is: since we doing a popular survey, rather actually go around and ask every single person on Earth who they like more; a proper official support from a popular forum will weight more than a bunches of anime secret fans, who just hide in their room and vote secretly.
This also make all of those cheaters/anti-fans have to do more works if they want absolute wins for their pick; and give royal fans a chance to join anime forums,have some chat when waiting for the result.

The flaws of this are: more works for forum mods, more works for you, and many forum will scream at you if they think the amount of % you give to them is not fair, when compare to others.

It's just an idea through.

wontaek
2008-03-07, 05:09
I'm tired, so I'll make this short and sweet. Nomination standings have been updated and posted on the ISML website. The test poll problem has been fixed and the Rozen Maiden vs. Nanoha showdown will take place Saturday at 4:00 AM GMT. I'll make an official announcement once I get my deserved rest.

There's one swap between who's in and who's out as far as last week goes, but since I didn't give an official update last week, you might be interested in going as far as two weeks to see the changes that the second nomination period brings.

If it isn't too much a trouble, please update the excel file as well, so I may use this to do another round of promoting in Korean Websites I frequent.

DragoonKain3
2008-03-07, 10:37
Glad to see Kotomi is above Tomoyo, and the 'green-haired monster' is nowhere in sight. Just too bad that Rei is in the running and Asuka ain't near the top of the list lol.

At first, I was going to help some of the borderline girls, particularly Misuzu, Reika, and Kaede. But considering I don't think they stand a chance, I think I'll go with my lesser known moe girls (ranked highest to lowest) from before the turn of the century.

Ukyo Kuonji (Ranma 1/2)- even to this day, she's IMO the most worthy of Ranma's fiancees, being his confidante and the non-violent methods she uses to pursue him. And besides, with her long black hair, she looked the prettiest of the Ranma's LIs. But of course, stupid Ranma... :heh:

Minako Aino (Sailor Moon)- my original bishoujo. For the longest time, I was drawn to her character design (especially her long blonde hair), and in some cases I read a manga just because the heroine' character design resembled hers. Just a shame that her series wasn't as popular as Usagi's...

Yurika Misumaru (Martian Successor Nadesico)- Nadesico wouldn't be half as fun as it was without her carelessness and misunderstandings. Probably influenced me being drawn to other blue-haired beauties, such as Aoi of Ryvius, Nayuki of Kanon, and Lafiel of Crest of the Stars.

Katerose von Kreutzer (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) - more well-known as 'Karin', she's a predecessor of sorts (both in looks and personality) to one of my favourite anime girls of all time, Sohryuu Asuka Langley. And besides, hearing Sailor Moon outside of her ditzy voice is a nice change of pace, lol.

Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)- She just kicks ass so much, it isn't funny. Don't see many girls trying to be the prince rather than the princess, don't you? Best part is that sometimes she shows her girly side as well. Can't help but root on her to succeed, all the way of the series. One reason why I find Hinagiku of Hayate so moe, because she resembles Utena a lot.

minhtam1638
2008-03-08, 22:32
Okay, one thing I learned about life: it's hectic. I've been so involved with the world around me now that it is diminishing my spring break, so I haven't done much work as I wanted. I've caught a soft spot for at least 90 minutes or so. I'm going to try to get some things done (in no particular order), and then I will announce the official start time for the Rozen Maiden vs. Nanoha test poll on the website, which, of course, is always tentative depending on my schedule.

Speaking of the schedule, all dates announced are tentative, meaning they are subject to change. And I can tell you now, my youth group is having a little survival camp challenge, which is guaranteed to eat up a Saturday date, so one of the August dates will change. Other possible dates that could change may include finals week (depending on how confident I am) and other special dates as well. I'll try to keep it within the same period so that there will be an Aquamarine winner and a Sapphire winner and so on.

I'll get the website blog updated as soon as I finish as much stuff as I can get done. And the Excel file as well.

Second, an idea just come up in my mind that "may" improve the voting system, and i want to share it out. But it may gonna be more works for you so i don't expect you gonna use it.
Well, it's not like a genius idea or anything, but do you think it will be better if you give some specific anime forum'communities a certain number % (your choice) of votes. And let a mod, put up polls to see if the specific forum favor one more than another.

It sound confused so i will make an example: you gave Animesuki forum a 3%. During a competition beween Shana and Hinagiku, a nice mod here will put up a poll to ask the forum (both old and new members) to vote for one. Voters should write something to prove their identity (as not spamming program). If Shana won the poll(which end by the time of the competition as well), her final amount of votes will increase by 3%, from 1000 to 1030 votes, which is not that much, but still can turn the table.
You can even design so if the poll do not show much difference, the % increase to Shana (even when she won the poll) will reduce to 2 or even 1%.

The idea of this is: since we doing a popular survey, rather actually go around and ask every single person on Earth who they like more; a proper official support from a popular forum will weight more than a bunches of anime secret fans, who just hide in their room and vote secretly.
This also make all of those cheaters/anti-fans have to do more works if they want absolute wins for their pick; and give royal fans a chance to join anime forums,have some chat when waiting for the result.

The flaws of this are: more works for forum mods, more works for you, and many forum will scream at you if they think the amount of % you give to them is not fair, when compare to others.

It's just an idea through.

Although I like your idea, the flaws are... well, you're aware of them already. Even if I did have time to pull that off, I would still have to have forum moderators participation, and I don't think others will take too lightly to increase workload just for me. So, that will have to be a no go. One thing we can do is keep trying to find other communities and have them participate in order to balance the scale a bit.

That's why I'm still looking for South Korea, Japan, and China's support. Indonesia and Vietnam are greatly participating in this event, and I think I may see a voting trend in effect. It seems as if some of the countries are swinging toward a particular anime series, studio, or title. I know for sure that most of Mexico is voting Nia and Nia only.

alphastickmania
2008-03-09, 01:57
Agreed. risingstar3110's idea is too labour intensive. Basically there is already too much of a lag of labourers for ISML itself, so this plan would probably be fail from the start to the end as dedication from forum mods may not be absolute (They do not pledge themselves to help out) and minhtam will over-heat (It is seriously too much workload if he has to raid all the participating forums and than tally the results). More importantly, no one's health should be placed at risk for this (He already fell sick once. We don't want that to be a recurring event.) .

minhtam1638
2008-03-09, 21:34
Okay, the test poll date has finally been announced officially:

Monday, March 10 @ 6:00 PM EST
#1 Suiseiseki (RM) vs. #5 Fate Testarossa (NA)
Souseiseki (RM) vs. Nanoha Takamachi (NA)

I'll continue to make updates as much as I possibly can.

Gotank
2008-03-10, 01:40
Ahh, how did Kyou get a bigger fanbase than Nagisa? Ahh.. the horror...
Darn, I wish I reserved my nominations until after I saw Clannad.

qtipbrit
2008-03-10, 02:01
Ahh, how did Kyou get a bigger fanbase than Nagisa? Ahh.. the horror...
Darn, I wish I reserved my nominations until after I saw Clannad.
Because everyone likes a tsunderekko.
Notice how nine of the top ten of the preseason qualifying contestants are tsunderekkos or have been compared to tsunderekkos.
I personally wouldn't say Haruhi is a tsunderekko, though I've heard it thrown around a lot. Suiseiseki and Shinku are maybes, as they both many more tsuntsun moments than deredere, and it's only very arguable that either are deredere towards Jun. Shana, Nagi, and Eri are clearly tsundere in the new sense of the word (with Shana being both), while Rin and Fate are tsunderekkos by its older meaning, though I'm a Fate/Nanoha fanboy, so I may be biased, and Hinagiku is mildly tsundere by both of its definitions.

Of course, many people now group characters as "tsundere" even if they don't really resemble the archetype, as stated above. Personally, I would only name about 5-6 of the top ten characters as tsundere: Shana, Hinagiku, Eri, Nagi, Rin, and maybe Fate.

Continuing: You can change your nominations, too. Just re-fill out the nomination form and it will process your latest request, replacing your older one. (get Matsuri on the top 17! She's one of my favourites.)

Gotank
2008-03-10, 02:22
Hmm, I think you're right about the whole Tsundere trend... I'd say Suiseiseki is more than just 'maybe' though, especially judging from a few episodes in Traumend. I fail to see in what way Fate fits the description though, unless you're suggesting yuri, which I noticed no hint of while watching the first two seasons. Even Rin's classification is questionable as well in my opinion, since I noticed very little romantic feelings between her and Shiro actually... Maybe the visual novel had more going on between them. I'm not sure about Shinku either.

On another note... how is Ayu not on the automatic qualified list while like the rest of Kanon is? And how did Kyon's sister get on there lol... She hardly has any screen time...

minhtam1638
2008-03-10, 02:36
You can change your nominations. If I detect that an IP address nominated twice, but it doesn't feel like a multi-vote, I usually discard your first nomination for the second.

As to the top 10 (which reminds me, I have to get back to doing profiles eventually), Yuki seems to be the oddball out of the group. It seems as if lately Saimoe is turning to be a Sai-tsundere, and after watching Clannad, how Kyou fares against Shana on April 5 will most likely determine her outcome of the whole tourney, and if so, a Clannad character could win her first Saimoe championship before Saimoe Japan and Korea Best Moe hit the knockout stages. I have her listed as a dark horse in winning this tournament, and though it is possible that all 6 Clannad characters could finish in the top 32 and auto-qualify for 2009, unless something really happens where I catch a group that says otherwise, no other Clannad character will have a chance at winning unless someone gives Kyou an upset. And it will have to happen twice due to the post-season double elimination format.

And it's always the later-aired characters that have the advantage, so Shana and the HnG girls are probably Clannad's biggest competition, with the Haruhi bunch pretty close to being there. Of course, unless China participates and takes the pro-KyoAni route it's likely to say that none of the Kanon characters will finish top 32. Lucky Star, maybe.

I also have in my predictions the older factions of Rozen Maiden and Nanoha to decline a bit, although they may still have some fan-power to make next year's cut. With a lack of Japanese support that I'm desperately trying to fix, it looks like only Suigintou and Suiseiseki have a legitimate shot at the top 16.

And one clear thing: this format may or may not be volatile to team voting, which I should highly expect. Any oddballs out (Yuno, Yurie, Alice, etc.) may or may not have a slim chance at making top 32. Remember that the bottom 32 are out unless they top 16 a Japan or Korea tournament, or else they'll have to resort to the nomination polls, which may have less than 17 entries due to possible competition from premiering anime from this season. Also, it's not as if 17-32 are guaranteed a spot in next year, as Japan and Korea have priority over ISML in terms of qualifiers.

On another note... how is Ayu not on the automatic qualified list while like the rest of Kanon is? And how did Kyon's sister get on there lol... She hardly has any screen time...

To be fair, I was only able to take top 16 from each of the 2006 and 2007 tournaments, hence names such as Kyon's Sister, Alice Carroll, etc are on the pre-qualified list. Ayu Tsukimiya, the storefront character of Kanon, was snubbed by Suiseiseki in the round of 32. If you read Suiseiseki's profile, I did give Ayu a honorary mention, and she's one of the characters I'm pushing for to get into this tournament, since she truly deserves to be in. Heck, anybody who can give the Desu-queen a run for her money should be automatically qualified.

For the rest of the Kanon characters, Makoto is the forgotten one, unable to upkeep her top 16 finish in China. Shiori is on the bubble to get in.

I agree, some characters shouldn't be on there due to limited screentime, as I had trouble looking up some of their background info. However, they are qualified, and according to the voters, they are moe enough to get themselves pre-qualified. I expect some of them to be just free wins for the rest of the crowd, but you never know - a crowd may help them out and give an upset.

And even though the test poll is meant just to be a true test, it's fun to predict the winner. Obviously, we know who the winner for #1 vs. #5 will be. And since I did talk about team voting, it's likely Souseiseki will be able to beat Nanoha in her rematch as well.

qtipbrit
2008-03-10, 02:46
Hmm, I think you're right about the whole Tsundere trend... I'd say Suiseiseki is more than just 'maybe' though, especially judging from a few episodes in Traumend. I fail to see in what way Fate fits the description though, unless you're suggesting yuri, which I noticed no hint of while watching the first two seasons. Even Rin's classification is questionable as well in my opinion, since I noticed very little romantic feelings between her and Shiro actually... Maybe the visual novel had more going on between them. I'm not sure about Shinku either.

Again, people have forgotten that "tsundere" originally refers to characters who dislike another, usually the lead (Nanoha, Shiro), and over time, begin to open and maybe developing feelings for him or her. Tsuntsun -> deredere as opposed to tsuntsun, tsuntsun, tsuntsun, deredere, tsuntsun, tsuntsun, tsuntsun, deredere, rinse, and repeat.
Shinku's there because she fits more into tsunderekko than anything else except loligoth.

Nayuki, Mai, and Sayuri are on there, but Ayu, Shiori, and Makoto are not. Ayu will probably get in through fanvote nomination, though.
About Kyon's sister: Amazing popularity of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya both in Japan and overseas + loli in a bag = SaiMoe eligibility.

While I'm here, I'd like to point out that Shana won SaiLoli '07 (http://battle.lolitron.org/), beating out Fate, Nanoha, and Kyon no Imouto in the final rounds, with Suiseiseki not even reaching top 8 status, so I think she deserves to have that added onto her resume so as to take the top spot in the preseason rankings. :D
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/sdskater92/SaiLoliTop8.jpg

minhtam1638
2008-03-10, 03:10
While I'm here, I'd like to point out that Shana won SaiLoli '07 (http://battle.lolitron.org/), beating out Fate, Nanoha, and Kyon no Imouto in the final rounds, with Suiseiseki not even reaching top 8 status, so I think she deserves to have that added onto her resume so as to take the top spot in the preseason rankings. :D

There were so many ways to manipulate the rankings so Shana could be #1 over Suiseiseki, the most common being adding point totals over their past finishes. Even though Shana would beat Suiseiseki by 1 point, the rankings will tilt toward those who participated more often than not, so Rozen Maiden and Nanoha would ultimately dominate the rankings, and Haruhi would be underrated. As much as I would like to see Shana #1, the only way to make it fair was to take the top 2 performances from each character, as each should have participated in at least two qualified contests.

I did receive an e-mail from somebody who wants China's Saimoe added to contestant's profile information. I haven't touched the profiles since the postponement, but I may consider adding a footnote here and there about other contests.

minhtam1638
2008-03-10, 17:04
The exhibition match hath started. Now let's see if I can get as much stuff done as possible.

EDIT: And just when I put it up, the fire alarms have rung in my dorm room. Be back ASAP.

CrowKenobi
2008-03-10, 19:27
The exhibition match hath started. Now let's see if I can get as much stuff done as possible.That's good to hear! :D

btw, on the news page, the text doesn't line up with the background (it's off to the right) (just in case, I'm using Firefox 2)

EDIT: And just when I put it up, the fire alarms have rung in my dorm room. Be back ASAP.Let's hope that it's a false alarm! :)

:cool:

Gotank
2008-03-10, 19:43
Haha, the lolitron... I was sorely disappointed that Ilya didn't make it further, but alot of my favorite characters were reasonably eliminated... I mean, you can't exactly consider Suiseiseki a loli anyways I think.

FlareKnight
2008-03-10, 21:49
The exhibition match hath started. Now let's see if I can get as much stuff done as possible.

EDIT: And just when I put it up, the fire alarms have rung in my dorm room. Be back ASAP.Know how that is. First year in University had a fire alarm go off in the morning. Was pretty bad for those who were heading out without grabbing a coat or anything :heh:. Think it was a prank so took even longer to get back inside.

qtipbrit
2008-03-10, 22:16
Haha, the lolitron... I was sorely disappointed that Ilya didn't make it further, but alot of my favorite characters were reasonably eliminated... I mean, you can't exactly consider Suiseiseki a loli anyways I think.
Yeah, Ilya had to go up against the epic nameless imouto, though, and in all honesty, Haruhi is much more popular than Fate/Stay Night.
I wouldn't classify all of the Rozen Maiden as lolis even though they're all rather small, but I would say Suiseiseki is. It seems there was a lot of hate voting against the Rozen Maiden, though; of the five in the tournament, only the one that had started a 4chan meme advanced.

Speaking of which, expect a lot of hate-voting against Rozen Maiden from me.
Actually, probably just Suiseiseki, and maybe Souseiseki. I'd vote for Shinku or Suigintou depending on who their competitors are.

minhtam1638
2008-03-11, 12:08
Okay, random thoughts while I mull over all the possible things that I need to get done.

1. We're definitely going to have another test poll. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a special variable that receives the actual IP address of specific proxy servers, and I ended up distorting the first hour of votes (though it was only 4 to zip in favor of Nanoha and Fate). Once I get that figured out, we will have another test poll. Two matches for sure, and I may think about adding two more.

2. We may have another schedule change for the league itself. I'm looking through some potentially important dates, and it looks like for some of them, I will definitely need off. This could possibly push the actual post-season up to just about the time Japan and Korea decide their champions, so all three will be running contests parallel to each other. Start date for the Aquamarine period will still be April 1st, and I may or may not just have week-long breaks in between periods or so. Once I look at my schedule, I'll let you know if there will be a schedule change.

3. I got the international message almost ready, but I would like non-English speaking participants who haven't participated to have a chance at the nominations. Not to mention that I will probably NOT be available on the 20th and beyond since it's Easter weekend for me, and as a Roman Catholic, that will be pretty eventful. It may be just an extension, but it may turn out to be a 3rd period of nominations. It could end on either the 25th or the 27th, depending on how much work I think I can get done to get ourselves ready for April 1st. We'll see.

4. I'm also thinking about a banner contest. The header is just... bland.

minhtam1638
2008-03-11, 19:15
Test Poll is now closed, but the fire alarm went off again. I have a club meeting right at this moment, so I'll be back in a flash.

alphastickmania
2008-03-12, 04:51
Banner Contest~~~!

What's the prize? XD

Alright. Let's see. Next batch I am to do. Not done. Current management of time, none (I have no extra time that I need to manage. It is all taken up by something else.) So basically no one has time to spare for now. Maybe we can have that above mentioned banner contest slightly after this week. Err... I will put up a topic about this in the ISML forum later.

Ithekro
2008-03-13, 17:53
Can we expect an update to the nominaton standing before the 20th? While I've made my vote already, I kind of wanted to see how things were doing after all this time.

(I'm half expecting people to start voting for Kyonko, but that would be about as bad as Bruce Ironstunch in Saigar (or possibly worse).)

minhtam1638
2008-03-13, 21:00
Can we expect an update to the nominaton standing before the 20th? While I've made my vote already, I kind of wanted to see how things were doing after all this time.

(I'm half expecting people to start voting for Kyonko, but that would be about as bad as Bruce Ironstunch in Saigar (or possibly worse).)

It may be before instead of on, since the 20th is Passover Thursday.

In fact, I'm supposedly updating them now, but I got to balance that out with a Research Paper about naturalism. And a four-match test poll is to be slated to take place in about two and a half hours. We'll see how things work out.

Banner Contest~~~!

What's the prize? XD

Alright. Let's see. Next batch I am to do. Not done. Current management of time, none (I have no extra time that I need to manage. It is all taken up by something else.) So basically no one has time to spare for now. Maybe we can have that above mentioned banner contest slightly after this week. Err... I will put up a topic about this in the ISML forum later.

20 bucks maybe?

No, the prize will just be having the banner as the header on the website itself. Weebly doesn't give me a rotation option, and I've been making suggestions that they say they will probably work on. Supposedly, I'll just pick the best one and we'll go with it. Maybe we'll change it every period or something.

The second test poll has begun:

Thursday, March 13 @ 10:00 EST
#14 C.C. (CG) vs. #7 Eri Sawachika (SR)
#9 Rin Tosaka (FSN) vs. #11 Teletha Testarossa (FMP)
Louise Francoise (ZnT) vs. Touka (U)
Yurie Hitotsubashi (KM) vs. Yuno (HS)

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 02:25
I'm tallying the nominations right now, and I don't like what I'm seeing. There was a recline in nominations, possibly due in part to voters waiting for the last update before the deadline in order to nominate, but because of the recline, I caught something that I cannot believe I overlooked for the past two months.

It looks like somebody from Monterrey, Mexico has been actually multi-voting for Nia Teppelin, nominating at about 8-12 hour intervals, and I didn't catch it until now. A range of IPs from two service providers - 131.178.xxx.xxx and 189.153.xxx.xxx were used. Although countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Singapore were having a similar situation, their IPs involved a number of different nominations, and I ruled it as a simple dynamic IP case. However, a single city using multiple IPs to vote for Nia and only Nia is quite different.

I will be watching closely at nominations and votes with dynamic IPs. And it also looks like I will have to make an announcement regarding penalties and probations.

qtipbrit
2008-03-14, 02:42
I'm tallying the nominations right now, and I don't like what I'm seeing. There was a recline in nominations, possibly due in part to voters waiting for the last update before the deadline in order to nominate, but because of the recline, I caught something that I cannot believe I overlooked for the past two months.

It looks like somebody from Monterrey, Mexico has been actually multi-voting for Nia Teppelin, nominating at about 8-12 hour intervals, and I didn't catch it until now. A range of IPs from two service providers - 131.178.xxx.xxx and 189.153.xxx.xxx were used. Although countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Singapore were having a similar situation, their IPs involved a number of different nominations, and I ruled it as a dynamic IP case. However, a single city using multiple IPs to vote for Nia and only Nia is quite different.

I will be watching closely at nominations and votes with dynamic IPs. And it also looks like I will have to make an announcement regarding penalties and probations.
Gah, I knew someone was multi-voting Nia. When I had began my involvement, she was low on top 17, dropped past 20 or so, then came way up.
It makes me sad that Nia gets multi-voted in while Matsuri is left out. My friend and I have been voting for Matsuri for both nomination rounds, though we also supported other characters (Sakura! First Saimoe champion!). I guess 18-20 of Matsuri's points are ours, so I really shouldn't be complaining about multi-voting. :rolleyes:

Hoping now that people have been voting more for Matsuri since the last nomination results were posted so she gets in. :( I need another vote.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 02:59
I would like to nominate, but seriously, all of the girls I would nominate are in the "Do not nominate" list, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:04
Gah, I knew someone was multi-voting Nia. When I had began my involvement, she was low on top 17, dropped past 20 or so, then came way up.
It makes me sad that Nia gets multi-voted in while Matsuri is left out. My friend and I have been voting for Matsuri for both nomination rounds, though we also supported other characters (Sakura! First Saimoe champion!). I guess 18-20 of Matsuri's points are ours, so I really shouldn't be complaining about multi-voting. :rolleyes:

Hoping now that people have been voting more for Matsuri since the last nomination results were posted so she gets in. :( I need another vote.

Yeah, see, I had half-thought about the possibility of somebody from Mexico multi-voting for Nia. However, nominations were at a quicker pace, so it was like about every 20 nominations or so, and I really didn't notice it with the slew of different combinations of Clannad nominations. However, due to the slight recline of nominations (thanks to my frequent absences), there wasn't that many people nominating, and the Nia-voter didn't take notice.

If you're wondering, there's a lot of bubble shuffling (17th place and adjacent positions have been changing all night), and Matsuri's somewhere in there. Depending on Nia's penalty, someone in that group might breathe a little easier.

I would like to nominate, but seriously, all of the girls I would nominate are in the "Do not nominate" list, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

Congratulations. All your picks have already qualified into this tournament before nominations had even started. All you need to do is sit back and wait for April 1st. Of course, you can also keep spreading the word about this new project, as we are in need of participation.

qtipbrit
2008-03-14, 03:15
You know, you could always just go:
5 - Matsuri Shiho / Sola
4 - Fuko Ibuki / wins
3 - Tomoyo Sakagami / Clannad
2 - Kotomi Ichinose / dannalC
1 - Kyou Fujibayashi / nadClan

That way, Matsuri gets her five points, Fuko might move up past Nagisa, and since the three Clannad girls were already dominating the list, it won't really affect the outcome.
Yeah, see, I had half-thought about the possibility of somebody from Mexico multi-voting for Nia. However, nominations were at a quicker pace, so it was like about every 20 nominations or so, and I really didn't notice it with the slew of different combinations of Clannad nominations. However, due to the slight recline of nominations (thanks to my frequent absences), there wasn't that many people nominating, and the Nia-voter didn't take notice.
Ah, I think you mentioned something about how Mexico really liked Nia a while ago. I didn't really get it though, since whole countries generally don't support one character. (Unless I'm wrong)
It's also been a while since the last nomination round began, so most people have probably already voted by now; I guess we got lucky there.
If you're wondering, there's a lot of bubble shuffling (17th place and adjacent positions have been changing all night), and Matsuri's somewhere in there. Depending on Nia's penalty, someone in that group might breathe a little easier.
Okay, Nia out + Kholdsecks' vote = Matsuri in! (I hope.)

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:18
You know, you could always just go:
5 - Matsuri Shiho / Sola
4 - Fuko Ibuki / wins
3 - Tomoyo Sakagami / Clannad
2 - Kotomi Ichinose / dannalC
1 - Kyou Fujibayashi / nadClan

That way, Matsuri gets her five points, Fuko might move up past Nagisa, and since the three Clannad girls were already dominating the list, it won't really affect the outcome.

Or you can make things interesting and balance out points in regards to 17th place. Either way, if all your characters were already qualified from the start, you should probably pay attention to the new threats *cough* like Kyou *cough*.

Ah, I think you mentioned something about how Mexico really liked Nia a while ago. I didn't really get it though, since whole countries generally don't support one character. (Unless I'm wrong)
It's also been a while since the last nomination round began, so most people have probably already voted by now; I guess we got lucky there.

I did mention that. However, I didn't believe that it would be this severe. Nor did I notice that all the Nia votes came from one city in Mexico. I thought it was spread out.

And yeah, there are countries that do support a group of characters in general. But you're right - it's usually not just one character.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 03:20
Wait, so you can still nominate to boost up the already-qualified characters' rankings? :confused:

Anyways, I would like to thank minhtam2448 for the creation of this tournament (at least I think, right?) because...well thanks.

And I haven't the slightest clue who Nia is. :D

EDIT: Oh duh, it's from one of those epic shows that I haven't watched.

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:23
Wait, so you can still nominate to boost up the already-qualified characters' rankings? :confused:

Anyways, I would like to thank minhtam2448 for the creation of this tournament (at least I think, right?) because...well thanks.

And I haven't the slightest clue who Nia is. :D

Uh, no. The rankings were just based on past performances in the 2006 and 2007 Japan and Korea tournaments. Nominations do not have an effect on those xx/32 ratings. Speaking of which, once we have an official roster of 64 contestants, those xx/32 rankings will be replaced by their current record (0-0) and would be updated constantly.

And, I'd post a picture of Nia, but I don't want to hold potential mo characters in shame...

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 03:28
Sorry but I sound stupid here, but I'm still really confused. This is the page I'm looking at:

http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/standings.html

I have trouble understanding the Rank, LR, PT, and PB columns, and pretty much why there's a discussion going on if nominations don't matter. I'm also not sure about this significant 17th place or anything...or if this table I'm looking at doesn't matter at all since they're all guaranteed to participate. If anyone has time, please explain. :heh:

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:38
Sorry but I sound stupid here, but I'm still really confused. This is the page I'm looking at:

I have trouble understanding the Rank, LR, PT, and PB columns, and pretty much why there's a discussion going on if nominations don't matter. I'm also not sure about this significant 17th place or anything...or if this table I'm looking at doesn't matter at all since they're all guaranteed to participate. If anyone has time, please explain. :heh:

Hmm... don't worry. If you follow Saimoe Japan, the concept is the same, it's just that the procedures are different. So technically, only the administrator (moi) knows what the heck is going on.

I'll give a little crash course.

To automatically qualify for the International Saimoe League (for the first year), you must place in the top 16 in a Japan or Korea Saimoe tournament from the last two years. However, since a handful of characters, namely the top 2 in the contestants page, finished in the top 16 in virtually every tournament held in that year, there were a few openings that needed to be filled.

If you look at the schedule page, there should be matches that include the name: FANVOTE # so and so, all the way up to #17. There were 17 openings that needed to be filled.

The "Rank" is where they stand in the nomination rankings. Although many numbers really don't serve a purpose, they are there because only the top 17 will qualify for this league and join the other 47 who have already qualified. The rank they end up with when nominations end will also determine the schedule they will have when the league starts.

The "LR" means "last rank". This just states the rank they were in last week.

PT equals the points they have at the moment based on their nominations.

PB means "points behind". This column was made to help voters determine the number of points behind 17th place a particular character is in. Anybody above 17th place will have a + sign meaning that they are ahead by that number of votes.

Any more questions? I may think about an FAQ section.

FYI - after nominations end, the nomination standings will be replaced with the REAL standings. I'll explain that once I start using a little gadget I saved up for this league.

qtipbrit
2008-03-14, 03:47

Geeez.
Nominations do count, since there will be 64 contestants in SaiMoe, but only 47 were pre-qualified, so the top 17 will be included.
The rank is the current standing/place the character holds, from first to however many have received points thus far (400+ or something), but the top 43 are shown on the list. LR is what what place they held after the last voting period was checked.
PT is the total points the character has received, and PB is the point difference the character has from the cut-off: 17th place, as of now, Shiori with 141 points, so Matsuri with 134 PT has a PB of -7, and Kotomi with 274 PT has a PB of +133.

Now go get Matsuri into the top 17.

EDIT: Oh, I was late, but still, vote Mats.

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:48
You know, I think I may have worded it the wrong way, hence Khold got more confused.

Anyway, nominations are almost done - just 11 more to go, not counting the ones received on March 14th, since I won't bother with those until next week. There will be an official announcement in 10 minutes the earliest.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 03:50
Oh I see, so if I get it right, then this page (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/standings.html) isn't the page that lists the contestants already qualified. I think I was confusing about that particular subject. So to put it bluntly, the top 17 from that page will become contestants, right? That means I better get to nominating then. :D

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 03:51
Oh I see, so if I get it right, then this page (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/standings.html) isn't the page that lists the contestants already qualified. I think I was confusing about that particular subject. So to put it bluntly, the top 17 from that page will become contestants, right? That means I better get to nominating then. :D

Before you do, check this page. (http://www.internationalmoeleague.com/contestants-list.html) These are the contestants you're NOT allowed to nominate.

And as an added bonus, don't nominate Kyou, cause I allowed her in before I opened up nominations a second time.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 04:00
Wow, that was tougher than I thought. Sorry, but Matsuri really isn't moe to me. *hides* Too bad my nominations don't really matter, since I truly love 5 of the ones in the 17 anyways.

My nominations:

5: Nagisa (Clannad)
4: Sakura (CCS)
3: Ryou (Clannad)
2: Shiori (Kanon)
1: Tomoyo (Clannad)

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 06:45
UPDATE: The new nomination standings are up, both the top 41 image as well as the excel file. And I finally updated the first post on this thread.

FlareKnight
2008-03-14, 08:33
Well interesting standings. Horo is really holding out for the 5th spot there. Hanyuu makes up for any earlier disadvantage by launching up there. Runa's got the same chance I do of never procrastinating again in terms of getting in there. That Runa vs San match dead before we start :heh:.

Am worried more about Clannad's overall dominance here. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, T-6th, 8th, and 17th. Wouldn't say Clannad doesn't have plenty of moe in the cast which is does. But still something to be worried about if you want someone to win that isn't on that show.

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 13:00
Well interesting standings. Horo is really holding out for the 5th spot there. Hanyuu makes up for any earlier disadvantage by launching up there. Runa's got the same chance I do of never procrastinating again in terms of getting in there. That Runa vs San match dead before we start :heh:.

Am worried more about Clannad's overall dominance here. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, T-6th, 8th, and 17th. Wouldn't say Clannad doesn't have plenty of moe in the cast which is does. But still something to be worried about if you want someone to win that isn't on that show.

Here's my take on this. All of the 2006 - 2007 entries that have performed very well and are expected to perform well have already qualified. If you look closely at the nomination standings, some of the characters are just hopefuls, possibly not having a chance at the top 32 but having the chance of being considered a top 64 moe character of all time.

Clannad aired after the conclusion of Saimoe 2007. Really, any 2008 character (or characters that didn't exist before Saimoe 2007) can be wildcards, and Clannad's holding six of them. Horo and Tamaki Kawazoe are also wildcards. Because of this, you have eight or nine potential wildcards that can completely change the metagame, and as a result, you may see big names fall out of the top 16 entirely.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 14:53
Here's my take on this. All of the 2006 - 2007 entries that have performed very well and are expected to perform well have already qualified. If you look closely at the nomination standings, some of the characters are just hopefuls, possibly not having a chance at the top 32 but having the chance of being considered a top 64 moe character of all time.

Clannad aired after the conclusion of Saimoe 2007. Really, any 2008 character (or character that didn't exist before Saimoe 2007) can be wildcards, and Clannad's holding six of them. Horo and Tamaki Kawazoe are also wildcards. Because of this, you have eight or nine potential wildcards that can completely change the metagame, and as a result, you may see big names fall out of the top 16 entirely.

I think that's where I got confused also. I thought that the nomination list contains the ONLY entries into the tournament, so it seemed like Clannad is dominating, but certain characters, such as Haruhi, Hinaguki, and Shana are already qualified, but that wasn't really made clear.

wontaek
2008-03-14, 17:02
I am getting 500 Internal Server Error in the test vote. I am voting from Linux(Ubuntu) OS laptop with Firefox 2.0 Browser.

Kerigis
2008-03-14, 17:58
I am getting 500 Internal Server Error in the test vote. I am voting from Linux(Ubuntu) OS laptop with Firefox 2.0 Browser.

I'm also having the error, and I'm practically using the oppsites of that :heh: (Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 7).

I hope it didn't crashed or anything...

FlareKnight
2008-03-14, 19:05
I think that's where I got confused also. I thought that the nomination list contains the ONLY entries into the tournament, so it seemed like Clannad is dominating, but certain characters, such as Haruhi, Hinaguki, and Shana are already qualified, but that wasn't really made clear.Oh definitely have some confidence in the characters already qualified. They wouldn't be already there and thus not requiring nomination otherwise. But where Clannad characters are in the nomination rankings at least reminds you that they will be something to keep an eye on.

minhtam1638
2008-03-14, 20:47
Checked it with a Mac OS X laptop using Safari... and I got it too. I'll look into it, and we'll have a rematch as soon as I feel I've fixed it.

EDIT: Fixed it already. Apparently I removed something I wasn't supposed to delete.

Exhibition match will have an extention and will end on Sunday, March 16, at 0200 GMT.

KaneDragon
2008-03-14, 22:36
This is the first time I've looked in this thread. SaiGAR sure didn't end well, but sure, I guess I'll try voting in here.

When I saw that Yutaka was 40th, I raged, just a little bit. She'll be my number one pick for sure. Number two will be Matsuri. Ponytail (and zettai ryouiki) moe~ ;_;

I guess voting for the purple/blue chars would be a waste at this point? The above two are the only characters outside the top range that I have strong feelings for. I'd post an encouraging pic or two, but I'm on break, so my picture collection is not conveniently accessible.

Since nominations last until the 20th, I'll wait until tomorrow to vote...

cicido
2008-03-14, 23:00
I raged when I saw that not only are the top three spots are reserved for CLANNAD girls, most of their characters are no.9 and higher with the exception of Ryou who is sitting safely at no 15

Nothing personal, but, IMO, there are lots of others that deserves the spot more.

KholdStare
2008-03-14, 23:15
I raged when I saw that not only are the top three spots are reserved for CLANNAD girls, most of their characters are no.9 and higher with the exception of Ryou who is sitting safely at no 15

Nothing personal, but, IMO, there are lots of others that deserves the spot more.

Well let's look at it this way. Clannad is an anime that has many girls. It is also created by KyoAni, which is well-known for excellent art. Combining excellent art with lots of characters will yield lots of moe characters. Now, I think it would be unfair to only choose 1 of the Clannad characters to participate in the top 17. Remember that nothing is reserved, but rather, people actually voted for them.

Fynal_Fyre
2008-03-14, 23:46
Well let's look at it this way. Clannad is an anime that has many girls. It is also created by KyoAni, which is well-known for excellent art. Combining excellent art with lots of characters will yield lots of moe characters. Now, I think it would be unfair to only choose 1 of the Clannad characters to participate in the top 17. Remember that nothing is reserved, but rather, people actually voted for them.

QFT. Hey, if they deserved it, then they should be right up there. :heh:

Side Note: KyoAni sure loves to make Anime with a LOT of girls in them...

Gotank
2008-03-15, 00:01
No kidding, but it applies to more than just KyoAni... Just the other day I was thinking through some of the character gender ratios, and most popular shows have terribly disproportionate numers like 3:9 or something like that... Any harem anime is obviously going to have lots of females, but it seems action series are following that trend (SnS, ZnT, Rozen, Nanoha, etc.).

Either that, or stuff like Bleach and Naruto, where it's almost completely male dominated.

Ithekro
2008-03-15, 00:15
Note that 12 girls that are registered as locked in before the tournament (due to being top 16 winners in 2006-2007 Japanese and Korean Saimoes) are KyoAni girls. A 13th has been added for Kyou from Clannad for her superior vote totals during the entire nomination process. Her sister Ryou currently holds the bottom spot of the possible new 17 entires that have been nominated to date (16 now that Kyou is locked in). With the 12 prior Saimoe top sixteens and the 8 in the current top 17 for nominations, KyoAni has 20 contestants at this time from Clannad (6), Haruhi (5), Kanon (5), Lucky Star (3), and Full Metal Panic (1). In the top 40 nominees there are two more KyoAni girls: Misuzu Komio (Air) and Yutaka Kobayakawa (Lucky Star). KyoAni seems to be able to put out moe girls, or they are very good at locking in good source material.

I'm presently happy that Chiaki Minami (Minami-ki) has gotten back into the top 17. Her sisters are still on the chart but both are in the red zone. Hanyuu (Higurashi) (who is way too cute) is also still in the running. I'm sad Chii (Chobbits) and Osaka (Azumanga) aren't in the top 17 because they need a second shot at Saimoe, having not had a chance since the first Saimoe for 2002 (Osaka was second place that year and I think Sakara (that year's winner) was the one who knocked out Chii early on). It is sort of strange that Chiyo (Azumanga) is so far down the list (58th with 22 votes) and Lucky Star's "walking moe" Miyuki is almost at the bottom with three votes.

KholdStare
2008-03-15, 00:19
Hm, sounds like a good off-topic project since I'm really bored:

#1 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien:
2 Males: Takayuki, (Shinji?)
3 Females: Haruka, Mitsuki, (Akane?)

#2 Cardcaptor Sakura:
2 Males: Kero, Syaoran
2 Females: Sakura, (Tomoyo?)

#3 Tsuiokuhen:
1 Male: Kenshin
1 Female: Tomoe

#4 Elfen Lied:
3 Males: Kouta, (Bando?), (Kurama?)
5 Females: Nyu/Lucy, Yuka, Nana, Mayu, (Mariko?)

#5 SaiKano:
1 Male: Shuji
2 Females: Chise, Akemi

---

Why am I doing this again? Oh yeah, to show that my favorite shows have more females than males. In any case 4 out of my 5 nominations are KyoAni characters, so I'm guilty too. I guess they're just way too cute.

qtipbrit
2008-03-15, 02:29
This is the first time I've looked in this thread. SaiGAR sure didn't end well, but sure, I guess I'll try voting in here.

When I saw that Yutaka was 40th, I raged, just a little bit. She'll be my number one pick for sure. Number two will be Matsuri. Ponytail (and zettai ryouiki) moe~ ;_;

Since nominations last until the 20th, I'll wait until tomorrow to vote...
Eh, there's not really anything good coming from voting for characters below 23th place, and I doubt your five points will help raise Yutaka's -117 to zero.
(That was code for: 5 FOR MATS!)
She actually goes twintail once, too, and absolute territory is always nice.

Matsuri was -20ish when I started voting (first round of nominations), and she probably recieved almost 20 points from just my friend and I over the two nomination rounds, now just barely making the top 17, so it's probably better to vote strategically than to vote for characters you really want in (unless you can get a character you really want in by voting strategically.)
No kidding, but it applies to more than just KyoAni... Just the other day I was thinking through some of the character gender ratios, and most popular shows have terribly disproportionate numers like 3:9 or something like that... Any harem anime is obviously going to have lots of females, but it seems action series are following that trend (SnS, ZnT, Rozen, Nanoha, etc.)
Shakugan no Shana:
Yuji, Eita, Keisaku, Ike, maybe Khamsin. (5)
Shana, Kazumi, Margery, Wilhelmina, Matake, arguably Hecate/Konoe. (6)
That's mildly even, and cutting the last minor characters for each gender will only change the ratio slightly. (5:6 to 4:5)
Also, most of the Crimson Lords are male, and the majority of the Tomogara are male.

Zero no Tsukaima:
Saito's the only main character, but then again, this really is a harem anime.
There's maybe four girls in his harem, with a couple of other female side characters, but a lot of the other minor characters are male.

Rozen Maiden:
Yeah, there's one guy. And the old guy. Actually, there's also another in the second season.
But the ratio here is probably between 7:1 to 10:1 by gender for the main characters. I'll agree that's a little lobsided (but just a little)

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha:
It has a clear "Magical Girl" in its title, and mahou shoujo anime generally have more female characters than male anyway.
Note that 12 girls that are registered as locked in before the tournament (due to being top 16 winners in 2006-2007 Japanese and Korean Saimoes) are KyoAni girls. A 13th has been added for Kyou from Clannad for her superior vote totals during the entire nomination process. Her sister Ryou currently holds the bottom spot of the possible new 17 entires that have been nominated to date (16 now that Kyou is locked in). With the 12 prior Saimoe top sixteens and the 8 in the current top 17 for nominations, KyoAni has 20 contestants at this time from Clannad (6), Haruhi (5), Kanon (5), Lucky Star (3), and Full Metal Panic (1). In the top 40 nominees there are two more KyoAni girls: Misuzu Komio (Air) and Yutaka Kobayakawa (Lucky Star). KyoAni seems to be able to put out moe girls, or they are very good at locking in good source material.
I agree here. Kyoto's quality and bishoujo style of animation (and its Lucky Star style) easily make its characters much more moe. However, a lot of this is probably attributed to the fact that Kyoto had produced that anime, too, as even in SaiGAR, there were a handful of characters from KyoAni titles that were less than deserving. (Kyon, Yuuichi, Anisawa Meito [Whose name I didn't know until I read through the SaiGAR list]) And yes, this was just about every male character that had appeared in their anime of late 2006 and 2007. Minoru Shiraishi isn't GAR, but he wins for pure awesomeness.
I'm presently happy that Chiaki Minami (Minami-ki) has gotten back into the top 17. Her sisters are still on the chart but both are in the red zone. Hanyuu (Higurashi) (who is way too cute) is also still in the running. I'm sad Chii (Chobbits) and Osaka (Azumanga) aren't in the top 17 because they need a second shot at Saimoe, having not had a chance since the first Saimoe for 2002 (Osaka was second place that year and I think Sakara (that year's winner) was the one who knocked out Chii early on). It is sort of strange that Chiyo (Azumanga) is so far down the list (58th with 22 votes) and Lucky Star's "walking moe" Miyuki is almost at the bottom with three votes.
I didn't find Chiaki particularly moe, but she was a fun character overall (my favourite of Minami-ke). And Sakura of CCS (you were probably correct) holds only the tenth spot, so characters she had beaten out of the tournament would have much less of a chance (though I had supported Osaka early on, I think) Personally, I didn't find Miyuki moe at all, but it was mainly because she was moreover a parody of "moe" itself, with her only real moe moments as humour as opposed to "fanservice moe". I also generally dislike megane-wielding characters in general, so that may have also been a factor as well.

KholdStare
2008-03-15, 03:14
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha:
It has a clear "Magical Girl" in its title, and mahou shoujo anime generally have more female characters than male anyway.

Hah, win. CCS officially has 2 male leads and 1 female lead. I always found that weird, but oh well. Sakura is so kawaii. :love:

Yes, you can nuke me for saying that.

Ithekro
2008-03-15, 05:17
I'm just happy that Minami-ke has at least one representative in this version of Saimoe. I don't know who is the most moe on that show, but Chiaki had a lead already over her sisters. (Please don't say the most moe character in Minami-ke (or Okawari) is Mako-chan...the universe is broken enough as it is).