PDA

View Full Version : What's the better way to see anime?

Danov
2008-03-16, 15:55
Well guys, I was wondering how should I watch an anime: see it all at once or during weeks? I ask that because a friend of mine usually gives me some great animes he has at his computer, and I don't know how should I watch these animes.

I have Code Geass at a DVD here, and I was thinking of taking a a weekend just to see the show. So, what's your opinion? It's better to see all the episodes of an anime at once or watch they during a period of time?

qtipbrit
2008-03-16, 16:00
Well, I usually follow whatever I think is interesting as it airs (weekly), but if it's finished airing, I'd rather watch episodes consecutively, or at least within a short time of one another. I wouldn't wait a week to watch an episode if I had another option.
Seeing them back-to-back, or at least within a day or so of one another, makes it so it's easier to follow the story, and if there are cliffhanger endings or dramatic endings to episodes, I can see the next whenever I want.

UzumakiW
2008-03-16, 16:45
If you have the option, seeing it all at once is probably the best. When I say all at once, I mean as many episodes as you can in that short period. It makes it a lot easier. If you watch it weekly, you may have to think back on the last episode to remember what happened, whereas if you do it in a row, you don't really have to. And like said above me, if there's a cliffhanger, it's a lot better to watch it immediatly, that way it's not chewing at you all week.

Okadashi
2008-03-16, 16:52
Watch it all at once. To save you sometime, skip the openings and the recaps. You can probably fit a few more episodes in.

Terrestrial Dream
2008-03-16, 17:03
I say watch it at all once, here's the thing about cliffhangers for me, after I wait a week or so it disappoints me because it wasn't what thought it would be, on other hand if I just watch it all at once I don' really think and I just watch it right away and it doesn't disappoints.

KholdStare
2008-03-16, 17:09
Er, it completely depends. If it's still airing, then I can't bring myself to wait until the season's over to watch it at once. Why? That's because I enjoy discussing each released episode with other AnimeSuki members, but if you're just watching it, then sure, watch in all at once.

If you have all of the episodes, then I would recommend watching it at once. I'm not saying watch 14 straight hours in one day, but go ahead and enjoy yourself, but know when to stop. For some anime, I don't see how I could have waiting one more week to see the next episode at all since they were so suspenseful. On the other hand, you appreciate the OP/ED more if you watch it once per week. :D

Vagrant0
2008-03-16, 17:10
Personaly I've taken to just watching a few episodes at a time, usually at the end of the day as part of a process for unwinding after the day's activities. If I have more than an hour, I usually watch some of one series, and then some of another just so that I don't get sick of one. You can get sick of some of those anime with 50+ episodes if you don't pace yourself. Besides spending several hours a day watching anime probably isn't a particularly healthy habit.

mystic210
2008-03-16, 17:21
yeah it is much better seeing the episodes consecutively so you can understand the plot better

qtipbrit
2008-03-16, 18:31
To elaborate:
yeah it is much better seeing the episodes consecutively so you can understand the plot better
In most cases, this is true, but for slice-of-life or more episodic anime, the process below this is fine.
Personaly I've taken to just watching a few episodes at a time, usually at the end of the day as part of a process for unwinding after the day's activities. If I have more than an hour, I usually watch some of one series, and then some of another just so that I don't get sick of one. You can get sick of some of those anime with 50+ episodes if you don't pace yourself. Besides spending several hours a day watching anime probably isn't a particularly healthy habit.
If you're shorter on time than the average NEET or NEET-in-training (me.), watching just a couple episodes a day instead of marathoning every anime you watch is fine, too. Also, I'll agree with the second statement as well, since when I watched Fullmetal Alchemist, I watched maybe half of the series within two or three days and stopped, waiting almost a month to continue watching and finish it.

And though it's not really relevant, take my position as a "NEET-in-training". If I'm training to be a NEET, I would refrain from engaging in Employment, Education, and Training, correct? But in training to become a NEET, I'm assuming that I'll be learning to adjust to the lifestyle of a NEET, hence educating myself, and I'm obviously "training" myself to become a NEET. However, my training would require me to refrain from these activities, and so, refraining from training myself to refrain from these activities. What to do? What to do?

Zaris
2008-03-16, 20:44
Watching everything all at once is a lot better than watching something one-by-one, if you have it. Ideally, you watch something on the tube or on the big screen because you want to comprehend a story through the eyes, not through the brain. The weekly gaps on TV present a problem to those impatient enough to start pondering what the next episode might contain or involve. Depending on how right or wrong you are, it will kill the suspense and make for a less enjoyable, immersive experience.

It's better, though, if you know when and where certain subplots and arcs end so you can stop and take an appropriate breather. If you know a character's going to discover something behemothly important in episode 17 and then act on it in episode 18, stop on episode 17. Take a moment to reflect. Point is, there are appropriate segments where you can stop and think about the possibilities. Rome wasn't built in a day. Problem with anime on TV (well, TV in general) is that shows stop in the middle of a story all the time. And no respectable storyteller wants to stop recanting a piece of drama and tell audiences to "see you next week".

But I guess it really depends on who you're talking to. = |

KholdStare
2008-03-16, 21:54
But I guess it really depends on who you're talking to. = |

That's very true, because personally, I enjoy making predictions and theories with others about the next episode or about the anime in general. I don't recall ever feeling depressed or sad because one of my theories is wrong though. All I can say is if you discuss anime, then discuss it while enjoying the series, not discussing in an over-analyzing way and getting too serious.

X10A_Freedom
2008-03-16, 22:05
It really depends on that you want to do. There are animes which you simply feel like watching nonstop while some others are better off watching slowly.

Code Geass for me was a nonstopper though. The kind of storytelling it used was very captivating and I couldn't wait to see what was coming up next.

Enara
2008-03-16, 22:09
I would take a weekend and have a anime marathon.

oompa loompa
2008-03-17, 00:19
well, watching it all at once is by far superior.. for example, if i hadnt watched the first 17 episodes of clannad back to back, i probably wouldve never caught on to the show. however i do face problems with watching an entire show at once. if you dont like how the show goes you end up with a bad 'anime hangover' from the show, and it needs to be treated with more anime, starting a vicious cycle :cool:

Dhomochevsky
2008-03-17, 10:22
My approach would be a bit of both.

It is a good thing if you have all the episodes, so you can watch more of that series whenever you feel like it. If you want to know how the story continues, then go ahead and watch it right now, no need to wait a week.
That makes watching a series a nicer experience and really helps if the anime includes some filler stuff or goes into too much details about something you dont really care about. You can actually enjoy those parts, because you know it doesnt come at the cost of waiting another week for something really interesting to happen.

But dont force yourself into watching a series in one go.
That would make you feel like you have to finish it now before you can pick up another one. Watching a series just to get it over with will not make it fun to watch.

Instead, choose a couple of series you might like. Start watching one as long as you like and once you are tired of it, switch to another one. Then come back later.

I do that for series of the running season too. Stack up a couple of episodes over time, then watch them in one go, then switch to another stack and so on.

Keruri
2008-03-17, 14:40
It depends. It really, truly does.

Shows like Lucky Star should be watched only a few episodes at a time, if that much, or they'll start to lose their comedy. Shows in arcs like AIR and Kanon should be watched one arc at a time or spaced out between episodes. You certainly don't want to watch an arc almost all the way in and then stop, only to start the next day with the last episode of that arc and then jump straight to another. (Think Kanon. Stopping right before episode 10 (Makoto) from Makoto's arc and then picking it up starting with that episode and continuing immediately on? The emotional scenes will seem less effective.) Long series need to be split up, like mentioned earlier.

Now, for shows like Geass, I'd say those are the ones you watch all at once. Short series are also good for quick runthroughs.

Whatever you do though, DON'T skip around like crazy. Don't watch episode 1 of anime A, episode 1 of anime B, episode 1 of anime C, and then move on to episode 2 of anime A, episode 2 of anime B, and so on. Not good.

Just do what you think is best! It really depends on the series.

Shikimori Kazuki
2008-03-17, 15:03
i watch it all in one-go. from beginning - end. If I can't do it one day , i'll make it 2-3 days in watching all of it.

but it depends on you really. Are you the one who watches one episode and watch another one the follow week, remembering the contents and plot of the episode the week before? that you should watch it week by week.

if you really dont like cliff-hangers and have time to spare than I would recommend watching all of it in one shot. You see...if you watch it weekly, it leaves a cliff-hanger tempting you to want more and more of it.

Right now, i regret doing the first one where I watch like 7 episodes of True Tears and theres 6 episodes left or so left to come out. because the anime is very good that it tempted me into doing the first option not the latter.

Like the person above (keruri) mentions, dont watch like 1 episode of Anime 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. dont jump around. if you do, you end up like me , re-watching some anime that i previously was following: Hayate no Gotoku (52 episodes) "sigh"

DragoonKain3
2008-03-17, 15:09
Marathon whenever you can, IMO. That way you can see more shows within a similar period of time. :p

Seriously though, me wanting whether or not to marathon a series is basically the measuring stick I use to determine the final grade I have for a series.

That is, there are some anime in that I want to marathon it but can't because it airs weekly (Series grade A- to A+). Sometimes, there are shows in which I can only watch when marathoned, because it's just too mediocre to hold my attention week after week(C- to C+). There are shows that I feel are in between (the B's), and those I don't want to watch period (the D's).

So in the end, it basically comes to do the question, do YOU feel the urge to watch the next episode this very moment? And how you answer that question is the answer you're seeking for your original question.

siber222000
2008-03-17, 15:24
this is what i usually do and it works out pretty well for me :) even though im kinda regret doing this to seto no hanayome though =_=... I SHOULD"VE SAVED THOSE LAUGH D:: but i couldn't stop and watched all at once haha. even though i literally cried and died laughing.Watch it all at once. To save you sometime, skip the openings and the recaps. You can probably fit a few more episodes in.

kayos
2008-03-17, 15:34
It actually depends on the anime, if it's quite enjoyable and addictive then watching it all in one or two go shouldn't be a problem. Because you're so drawn into the story and characters that you can't wait to watch the next one.

But if the story is a bit dry and possibly tiring to watch at times, then it's best to watch it with long interval of rest between them... to keep yourself from boring too much which may cause you to drop the series.

You usually could tell if you're interested in the series after 4 or 5 eps, any more than that and you're regretting it, then drop it.

-KarumA-
2008-03-17, 16:04
i normally follow series weekly but when it comes to complete series there are two options
one is downloading it episode by episode and watching the finished ones as the rest continiues to download int he backgroud and see how far you can get
other thing i tend to do is wait till it completes and make it a weekend of anime watching or watch about 3 episodes a night through out the week
i do the watch only a few episodes just to speculate on things and be bothered with it all day.. i love that feeling X3 whieeeh

Jaden
2008-03-17, 16:40
Saint status to whoever came up with dvd season boxes! Why? I'll tell you next week.

rainbow_star
2008-03-17, 18:49
I usually watch anime weekly since I always watch from the begin of the show when it starts.
But I prefer watch it all at once. Like 3-4 episodes a day, and finish the whole anime in a week or so. :)

aka Providence
2008-03-18, 10:45
the best way to watch anime, for me... well, for the lack of a better term is to go with the flow. it's kinda like gut instinct. watch as many episodes of an anime, and stop when i'm satisfied. watching too much episodes in a row can make your brain fuzzy on details the same way when you watch anime episodes weeks apart from each other. the best way to do it is to plan when to watch anime so you wouldn't be interrupted.

in a nutshell, watch as much anime that can satisfy you so long as your brain keeps functioning.

D a m i e n
2008-03-18, 11:38
the first answer that came to my mind when thinking about the best way to watch anime was :
with a box of klenex next to you... (i m sure i m not the only one that though this)

i personnaly cant watch more than 1 maybe 2 episode one after the other unless i know there wont be any interruptions and i scheduled it.
i tend to be scared by the sheer amount of time that would be needed in order to watch a whole serie if it s something i downloaded in a batch and i just chicken out. there are show on my hard drive that have been there for years but i never had the time or the willpower to dedicate a tiemframe to it :(
so i would say just watch anime as they are released, even though you will spend the same amount of time watching a whole show you wont have to sacrifice an 5~6 hour timeframe to watch the batch. there are some anime that are either so mindwrecking or with eps ending with such cliffhangers that i prefer to watch em all at once as it save the "stress" from waiting a whole week to know what happens next (it can also kill a bit of the fun but well)
Due to my personnal schedule i have the time to watch 1 eps in the morning while waiting for shower to be free and 2 in the evening during the daily summarie of our local "american idol" or whatever is the show named in your country (god do i loath reality show). i also never watch opening ending and previews as i dont have the time and dont necessarly enjoy being spoiled by what those 3 element features.
of course i do an anime indigestion every now and then spending a whole day to catch up a whole serie i downloaded but i have that nasty feeling of wasting my weekend preventing me from enjoying it to it s fullest.

xxanimefan4_ever
2008-03-18, 13:49
Marathoning just sounds uncool (how manyepisodes? hours?)and just uh a little.... and just practically I think by the 4rd or wherever you can't really focus as much after staring at the computer for that long...

Like someone said above, just go by instinct obviously who wants to sit through 3 episodes straight of some slice of life show

rainbow_star
2008-03-18, 14:35
Marathoning is painful. I still remembered that I finished Evangelion in 1.5 day without sleep when I was in college ... (-____-.

Lonestar9
2008-03-19, 17:14
>>Whatever you do though, DON'T skip around like crazy. Don't watch episode 1 >>of anime A, episode 1 of anime B, episode 1 of anime C, and then move on to >>episode 2 of anime A, episode 2 of anime B, and so on. Not good.

>>Just do what you think is best! It really depends on the series.[/QUOTE]

LOL...I do exactly what you say no to, I watch several shows, one episode at a time, and skip around like that. I enjoy my experience better that way. I also only watch a few shows a day, so I pick up the next day on other shows, and thus go several days between episodes. I guess there's one in every crowd...:D