PDA

View Full Version : Character discussion - Layfon

Skyfall
2009-02-14, 15:50
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Layfon related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Regios fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
http://g.imagehost.org/0365/Layfon.jpg
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter talk, there are other threads (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88) for that stuff.
100Thread Guidelines
No campaigning!
No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

Discuss, not Chat.
Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki (irc://irc.zirc.org/animesuki)) on ZiRC (http://www.zirc.org/).

Have fun, but post intelligently.
It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
to locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

MrTerrorist
2009-02-14, 16:35
A brief description about this character.
A nice guy who seems rather weak but in reality is one powerful badass as he's actually a former member of the Heavens Blades, the 12 elite warriors of Lance Shelled Grendan.

Bonta Kun
2009-02-14, 16:40
I demand the title be changed to Fon-Fon instead of Layfon!!:heh:

or at least have Fon-Fon in it, as thats what we all have come to know him as:p

on a side note anyone else think he needs to get a cooler looking coat other than that big orange one?

he has to look the part of the cool super strong lead after all;)

MrTerrorist
2009-02-14, 16:45
I demand the title be changed to Fon-Fon instead of Layfon!!:heh:

or at least have Fon-Fon in it, as thats what we all have come to know him as:p

Request denied! Only the great Felli Sempai has the right to call him Fon-Fon.

FireDetei
2009-02-14, 19:50
^ she doesnt like that phrase ;)

Cinocard
2009-02-14, 20:07
I just can't wait for Ep7 after watching the Ep this week. Giant-monster-soloing Layfon? Bring it on.

Lol, you owned him hard :heh:

germanturkey
2009-02-14, 22:19
he's a stud. enough said. i can't wait to get deeper into his past.

any money on when Zuellni (or w/e the city is called) will face Grendan (or w/e that other city is called) in a platoon match? haha... that will be an interesting arc...

TrueKnight
2009-02-15, 05:28
He's a badass warrior with extremely high combat prowess, and currently is building up a harem in secret.

Where everybody in Zuellni are giving their best and fighting to protect the city and thus giving it their all to their last blood, Layfon can only just 'try'.

meh
2009-02-15, 05:45
I generally like characters such as Layfon, with easygoing personality, powerful in battle, but knows what he's doing.

I much prefer a main character like Layfon than some idiot who has no skills but keep fighting nonetheless. The latter seems to be more prevalent though.

MrTerrorist
2009-02-15, 06:44

Weaklings have no right to call her Felli. Only our benevolent Hero who our great Felli-Sempai calls Fon Fon and Captain Nina have the right to say her name.

Failure to comply will result a great super kick from the great Felli Sempai. Be warn of the mighty Mistress of Frills!

SageGaiGar
2009-02-15, 23:03
I generally like characters such as Layfon, with easygoing personality, powerful in battle, but knows what he's doing.

I much prefer a main character like Layfon than some idiot who has no skills but keep fighting nonetheless. The latter seems to be more prevalent though.

Yeah, atleast he already is absurdly strong and not needing new 'power' levels oh so conveniently as required by the plot. Though, I can only imagine how the other heavens blades are.

SwiftStrike
2009-02-16, 00:13
he looks innocent yet packs a punch. seems to have suffered a lot(we've only had a few scenes about his past though)
wonder what other hidden secrets he has :D

TrueKnight
2009-02-16, 00:30
wonder what other hidden secrets he has

That he already had estblished a harem in his hometown. He wanted a new challenge, that's why he secretly came to Zuellni, with a pretext interested in general arts, whereas in reality he's currently bulding his harem to match those of he had iin his hometown.

margafred
2009-02-16, 04:25
It would be nice if he become Felli's butler inside Felli's house. :heh:

willyvereb
2009-02-16, 13:38
he already has some work...
I think Lay-Fon not as good character as Vash the Stampede or Kenshin but they're in the same cathegory(hidden badass).
And he has some power-ups: at least in terms of gear(he'll have the 4th weapon in ep 7!)

Kinku
2009-02-16, 23:02
The reason i like this character because his not worried about being too weak... his worried about being too strong :p

Urei
2009-02-17, 00:14
The reason i like this character because his not worried about being too weak... his worried about being too strong :p

Good one. Write my name onder that opinion as well ;)

TrueKnight
2009-02-17, 00:24
Lol yeah. For Layfon being badass is such a sin.

Voitan
2009-02-17, 00:25
He's a badass warrior with extremely high combat prowess, and currently is building up a harem in secret.

He's secretly a raging perv with far reaching plots to hookup with as many chicks as he can get and hightail it out of there before the jealous hens kill him.

I bet he even got some Empress tail back home and explains why he got exiled. True story.

aesthetic
2009-03-11, 08:43
worrying about being to strong. hiding out his strength just to stay normal! XD

GreenLama
2009-03-11, 16:08
Layfon is "the man" and I love how he just took on that giant filth monster head on, that must have taken courage and a giant set of brass hangers. I look foward to seeing where his character goes from a story and a combat POV.

Wargumm1i
2009-03-11, 20:34
Layfon is a nut, he has a rubber butt, everytime he turns around it goes "putt putt".

Enternal
2009-03-12, 05:02
Layfon definitely is awesome. However, it seems that because he is so awesome at times and Nina is weaker than him in terms of fighting, people became more biased against her than him saying that since he is stronger and everything, Nina blah blah blah.... it's annoying.

Other than that, he has everything doesn't he? He can cook so that's definitely awesome. He can fight and is strong at it too! Intelligent wise, we don't know too much yet. I won't say he's intelligent but he is not stupid either which is more important since stupid heroes are annoying anyway.

Enternal
2009-03-12, 05:10
............ What Creeping Monkey MACKERELS!! DOUBLE DOUBLE POSTS! Whee!!

justinstrife
2009-03-12, 10:56
Layfon definitely is awesome. However, it seems that because he is so awesome at times and Nina is weaker than him in terms of fighting, people became more biased against her than him saying that since he is stronger and everything, Nina blah blah blah.... it's annoying.

Other than that, he has everything doesn't he? He can cook so that's definitely awesome. He can fight and is strong at it too! Intelligent wise, we don't know too much yet. I won't say he's intelligent but he is not stupid either which is more important since stupid heroes are annoying anyway.

Layfon being strong, and nina being weak have nothing to do with why I hate her.

I am just happy we finally have a main character who kicks a lot of ass right off the bat, and isn't goofy like Kenshin or Vash.

Rezard
2009-03-12, 11:44
I don't like Layfon, he is simple the perfect litlle hero. He is soo boring.
He has no negative traits, he reminds me of super man, the super great guy who always do the right thing.

A cool badass character must have some bad trait, like Vash's goofness (Trigun), Kenshins regrets(Rurouni Kenshin), Alucard's evilness(Hell Sing) or Guts's seriousness (Berserk). Layfon is a walking 80's cliche hero. if I had to choose, I would highly prefer the 90/00's weakiling hero cliche.

Really, this show gets on my nerves sometimes: nobody can be cool but Layfon, no girl can love a guy other than Layfon. Soon Layfon will try to best Chuck Norris.

I am hoping he will get his ass owned soon.

Xellos-_^
2009-03-12, 11:57
I don't like Layfon, he is simple the perfect litlle hero. He is soo boring.
He has no negative traits, he reminds me of super man, the super great guy who always do the right thing.

A cool badass character must have some bad trait, like Vash's goofness (Trigun), Kenshins regrets(Rurouni Kenshin), Alucard's evilness(Hell Sing) or Guts's seriousness (Berserk). Layfon is a walking 80's cliche hero. if I had to choose, I would highly prefer the 90/00's weakiling hero cliche.

Really, this show gets on my nerves sometimes: nobody can be cool but Layfon, no girl can love a guy other than Layfon. Soon Layfon will try to best Chuck Norris.

I am hoping he will get his ass owned soon.

are we watching the same show? Layfon is a cliche 80s action hero when he just admitted to attempted pre-mediated murder in order to hide illegal activates?

Rezard
2009-03-12, 12:09
are we watching the same show? Layfon is a cliche 80s action hero when he just admitted to attempted pre-mediated murder in order to hide illegal activates?

By the way this anime is going, I am pretty sure he will have some pretty reason, like saving poor orphans from starvation (this actually seem an irony, but it feets in the storyline). And the supossed victim was the responsible culprit or was evil in someother way and deserved to die.

I wouldnt have my hopes up if I were you.

GreenLama
2009-03-12, 15:26
By the way this anime is going, I am pretty sure he will have some pretty reason, like saving poor orphans from starvation (this actually seem an irony, but it feets in the storyline). And the supossed victim was the responsible culprit or was evil in someother way and deserved to die.

Eh, they cant please everyone I guess but they do a good job on Layfon in my eyes, he's one of my favorite characters. I do admit that sometimes the show is a little cliche, but thats okay by me.

Enternal
2009-03-12, 17:45
Layfon being strong, and nina being weak have nothing to do with why I hate her.

I am just happy we finally have a main character who kicks a lot of ass right off the bat, and isn't goofy like Kenshin or Vash.

For you it isn't so that's a good thing but for some others it is which is a sad thing. Well, Vash's goofness did make it funny to watch. For some reason, I just thought of Abel from Trinity Blood. I thought he was pretty cool too.

I don't know if you are being serious or not but it is exactly like that. However, it seems like me and Xellos still is watching and enjoying it beside being so cliche. They must have done something right in Regios for us to not care about the cliche and enjoy it a lot.

justinstrife
2009-03-12, 21:59
For you it isn't so that's a good thing but for some others it is which is a sad thing. Well, Vash's goofness did make it funny to watch. For some reason, I just thought of Abel from Trinity Blood. I thought he was pretty cool too.

I don't know if you are being serious or not but it is exactly like that. However, it seems like me and Xellos still is watching and enjoying it beside being so cliche. They must have done something right in Regios for us to not care about the cliche and enjoy it a lot.

I hated Vash. HATED. The only times I could tolerate him is when he got serious. I don't watch these shows for 'humor'. I watch them for ass-kickingness.

Enternal
2009-03-13, 00:07
I hated Vash. HATED. The only times I could tolerate him is when he got serious. I don't watch these shows for 'humor'. I watch them for ass-kickingness.

Haha! Well, at least he did make you feel something. Some heroes are only good for the ass-kickingness and that's it so it can become boring at times. However, if he is retarded, goofy, or some other traits, it makes it better that he can kick major ass and be something else too. That's probably why I like Vash. I like it how he makes everyone think he's retarded than BAM! They got themselves owned. Some of the heroes are more like "he seems strong and cool. I shouldn't mess with him too much" so there's no surprise factor on their faces when they got owned sometimes.

Well, Layfon does have a bit of that actually. He seems so normal and smiles a lot and when the situation comes, he owns those monsters.

justinstrife
2009-03-13, 01:06
Where as you laugh and are amused by those instances, I face palm and shake my head. Guess it just shows how different you and I are wired. :heh:

I've been watching anime since 1985 and my favorite male characters have always been the serious ones. Always.

Enternal
2009-03-13, 01:27
Haha, we are different then. I have a tendency to love "games" like that. For instance, I play the piano and you know how a lot of wannabes tend to say they can play but they usually play Fur Elise? Well, when I meet an actual good piano player, I sometimes like to play Fur Elise in front of them. Then next time, play an actual hard song. I guess I'm kind of evil in that way since I like to see reactions like that.

Anyway, since 1985? Wow, so you are old then definitely a fan of anime then since you have been watching for so long. For me, I started in 1997 when Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and other series like CCS start showing so I guess I'm kind of recent. Well, I started watching when I was 8 so it's not exactly easy to watch it any younger than that. It does seem like you are very consistent with your taste though so that can be a good thing.

But yeah, Layfon is pretty cool and strong. Loves how he tends to smile a lot too. It also reminds me of Fai from Tsubasa which I totally like as well. Of course Kurogane was not too bad at all when it comes to kicking ass since he enjoys it most of the time.

Tjaard
2009-03-13, 05:37
Haha, we are different then. I have a tendency to love "games" like that. For instance, I play the piano and you know how a lot of wannabes tend to say they can play but they usually play Fur Elise? Well, when I meet an actual good piano player, I sometimes like to play Fur Elise in front of them. Then next time, play an actual hard song. I guess I'm kind of evil in that way since I like to see reactions like that.

Anyway, since 1985? Wow, so you are old then definitely a fan of anime then since you have been watching for so long. For me, I started in 1997 when Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and other series like CCS start showing so I guess I'm kind of recent. Well, I started watching when I was 8 so it's not exactly easy to watch it any younger than that. It does seem like you are very consistent with your taste though so that can be a good thing.

But yeah, Layfon is pretty cool and strong. Loves how he tends to smile a lot too. It also reminds me of Fai from Tsubasa which I totally like as well. Of course Kurogane was not too bad at all when it comes to kicking ass since he enjoys it most of the time.

I started around 1991-1993, with our dear old mecha series :heh:
Well i like surely the serious ones male characters but the funny too, i hate the stupid ecchi one for example :D
But if you ask me what type of chara i despise surely for me is Leerin's type:heh:
Continuing to see that kind of person in rpg, manga & and anime began to annoying me deeply; the useless girl on a shounen type story, that is good only with words or moral support, that strangely have a big power and all people that she has around need to protect her; i'm pretty tired to see this type of chara or probably because for an action, adventure or shounen type story i prefer see always combat type chara (felli is combat, narki, the monkey little girl or the queen too), but surely i don't like chara as Leerin :heh:

Xellos-_^
2009-03-13, 11:15
Haha! Well, at least he did make you feel something. Some heroes are only good for the ass-kickingness and that's it so it can become boring at times. However, if he is retarded, goofy, or some other traits, it makes it better that he can kick major ass and be something else too. That's probably why I like Vash. I like it how he makes everyone think he's retarded than BAM! They got themselves owned. Some of the heroes are more like "he seems strong and cool. I shouldn't mess with him too much" so there's no surprise factor on their faces when they got owned sometimes.

Well, Layfon does have a bit of that actually. He seems so normal and smiles a lot and when the situation comes, he owns those monsters.

Where as you laugh and are amused by those instances, I face palm and shake my head. Guess it just shows how different you and I are wired. :heh:

I've been watching anime since 1985 and my favorite male characters have always been the serious ones. Always.

i like the both types, the on i can't stand are the hot blooded ones.

Enternal
2009-03-13, 14:31

I usually don't mind those types if they were more intelligent but somehow, those hot headed types are usually dumb or something so it's really annoying.

I started around 1991-1993, with our dear old mecha series :heh:
Well i like surely the serious ones male characters but the funny too, i hate the stupid ecchi one for example :D
But if you ask me what type of chara i despise surely for me is Leerin's type:heh:
Continuing to see that kind of person in rpg, manga & and anime began to annoying me deeply; the useless girl on a shounen type story, that is good only with words or moral support, that strangely have a big power and all people that she has around need to protect her; i'm pretty tired to see this type of chara or probably because for an action, adventure or shounen type story i prefer see always combat type chara (felli is combat, narki, the monkey little girl or the queen too), but surely i don't like chara as Leerin :heh:

Yeah, Leerin is really a cliche type but I'm actually find with those so it doesn't bother me much. The first type like that I encounter is from a JRPG named Lunar. It did not really both me much although that's probably the first time encounter them. Lunar 2 has the same type for the main heroine except initially, she owns everything in sight until her powers were sealed by the main baddy.

Actually, when I think about it, I never had much problems with cliche characters and I think that's because I tend to enjoy it for what it is and don't usually compare series with other series or games that much because if I do, I don't think I could enjoy it as much since I keep on seeing the similarity. It's similar to how Layfon is. He's actually quite cliche but I still enjoy watching him as much as all the other heroes in games or series.

Tjaard
2009-03-13, 14:51
I usually don't mind those types if they were more intelligent but somehow, those hot headed types are usually dumb or something so it's really annoying.

Yeah, Leerin is really a cliche type but I'm actually find with those so it doesn't bother me much. The first type like that I encounter is from a JRPG named Lunar. It did not really both me much although that's probably the first time encounter them. Lunar 2 has the same type for the main heroine except initially, she owns everything in sight until her powers were sealed by the main baddy.

Actually, when I think about it, I never had much problems with cliche characters and I think that's because I tend to enjoy it for what it is and don't usually compare series with other series or games that much because if I do, I don't think I could enjoy it as much since I keep on seeing the similarity. It's similar to how Layfon is. He's actually quite cliche but I still enjoy watching him as much as all the other heroes in games or series.

Ah Lunar, those are good memories, I still remember her song :D
I never had much problems with cliche characters too, but after so many things, for female chara i've 2 type that i despise, the "useless girl on a shounen type story, that is good only with words or moral support, that strangely have a big power and all people that she has around need to protect her", and the "abusive, selfish, ecc loli" (you know, Taiga, Louise, Shana, Index ecc.). There is always the possibility that i can enjoy their personality and way of thinking, but surely not type of chara:heh:

justinstrife
2009-03-13, 19:54

The first instrument I learned, was the Piano back in 1987. In 1991 I took up the Flute, as I always loved how peaceful the sound was. In 1995 I took up the guitar before getting into other hobbies and stepping away from instruments altogether.

My first animes were Voltron, Gundam, Macross, and Transformers. :heh:

Ahh a fan of Tsubasa Chronicles, eh? Yes I liked Fai and Kurogane both. Fai was playful(with his serious side in check), and Kurogane was always serious, but their interactions couldn't help but make you laugh. They were my favorites in the show to be honest with you, and I loved the scenes with both of them meshing.

The humor induced by them, was a far more playful and serious nature, than say the ones with Vash or Kenshin, and that's why I appreciate them far more.

TrueKnight
2009-03-13, 21:36
Layfon is a badass because he's cool and composed and tends not to rush into things but rather think strategically. He's also a good guy, tends to be drag around by the girls, reluctant but if something's wrong he'll immediately act settling them using his mad skillz. I guess being somehow a seasoned fighter right from the start gave this handicapp.

Layfon is a walking 80's cliche hero. if I had to choose, I would highly prefer the 90/00's weakiling hero cliche.

Lol are you making fun the epitome of manliness, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star?

Nah, Kazuma from Scryed was cool.

Tjaard
2009-03-14, 06:08
I love Hot Blooded ones, especially for mecha and action series; Kazuma was awesome :D

Enternal
2009-03-14, 14:58
I love Hot Blooded ones, especially for mecha and action series; Kazuma was awesome :D

Well, Kazuma was actually more of an exception. There are others who just seems too stupid to do anything.

But yeah, Lunar and Lunar 2 is still my number one JRPG I have every played even if it's so cliche, I still loved it.

longshot
2009-03-24, 23:13
from what i've seen and what little i could read from the manga's about layfon he's described to me as...
crouching moron, hidden badass

AngelRayne
2009-03-25, 00:07
Has the "Live on" geass command stuck all over his head.

'Nuff said.

demonfang
2009-03-25, 00:16
Yes, it's too bad the command wasn't: "Live on and procreate" :heh:

TrueKnight
2009-03-25, 01:03
Lmao if it's like that then Layfon would've mate with all chicks in Zuellni and in 20 years ahead Zuellni would have been re-populated with superhumans on par with Layfon's. Imagine a city filled with Heaven Blades, it'll be fucking awesome.

willyvereb
2009-03-25, 03:44
Well...then Zuelni needs another city just for mass-producing heaven blades:p.
Not to mention that in contrast with Suzaku and Kallen from CG. Layfon's power not just cause of genes but dead-serious training too(well...for someone to be HB reciever at the age of 10 it means he's a military arts prodigy)
Now that Layfon fights with Savbaris maybe it means that at last we've got a strong antagonist for Layfon?:)...I hope a bit not cause Savaris our most popular HB after Layfon, but a bit yes cause we've got a strong opponent for Layfon at last.

blewin
2009-03-30, 01:30
Layfon is too accommodating. He keeps on saying "yes" to every request. I found out that the same voice actor of Shin in Persona Trinity soul voices Layfon. Perfect match! These two characters are extremely similar - except Layfon is so much stronger.

GreenLama
2009-04-01, 07:45
Layfon is too accommodating. He keeps on saying "yes" to every request. I found out that the same voice actor of Shin in Persona Trinity soul voices Layfon. Perfect match! These two characters are extremely similar - except Layfon is so much stronger.

Thats just Fon-Fon's personality, he probably just does not want to get caught up in confrontation and he just seems to have a passive demeanor. Hell, I would probably have a hard time saying "no" to Nina or Felli....lol.

MafiaSoldier
2009-04-05, 14:40
"Fon-Fon" is a cool character, at first I was a little weary that he was going to turn into a generic male hero type, but since then he has shown me a lot of spark and has become deserving of a leading character role in this series. I love his action sequences and I (like a lot of people here) am hoping he finds love and ends up in the arms of Felli.

willyvereb
2009-04-05, 15:24
"Fon-Fon" is a cool character, at first I was a little weary that he was going to turn into a generic male hero type, but since then he has shown me a lot of spark and has become deserving of a leading character role in this series. I love his action sequences and I (like a lot of people here) am hoping he finds love and ends up in the arms of Felli.
You mean Felli ends up in the arms of Fon-fon? The opposite it's quite funny to see:p
Well...we've got many lovely girls. If i have to choose a girl scene-wise(i mean the scenes together with Layfon) then my choice is Meishen.(I have to admit i starting to like her character...walking water-boiler for the win!)

Dragon TY
2009-04-07, 15:40
Feel sorry for layfon because he got betaryed by his own home that he work hard to protect. He a nice kid though but that holds back his true skills and he needs them in the world he lives in.

Wargumm1i
2009-04-08, 03:40
Layfon is indeed a good kid, but he is not mature. Which is understandable since he lived the life of strong eat the weak, thats why all he knew was getting stronger and never had the time too play.

☻/
/▌
/ \

Deryns
2009-04-08, 11:54
Hey Guys first post in a looong time. I have been watching this series for awhile and at first it didn't impress me but the characters especially Layfon and Felli sold me on it. Layfon is one of the most interesting protagonists I have seen in a show, mainly because it is difficult to categorize him. His motivations for underground fighting, for not throwing the fight where he cut off the arm to saving the girl at the ceremony and various others combine to produce an end result that is engaging enough for me to stick around and see how it ends.

velvet nightmare
2009-04-14, 12:37
what kind of weapon was his heaven's blade?

sword or katana?

SageGaiGar
2009-04-14, 13:50
what kind of weapon was his heaven's blade?

sword or katana?

Well a katana *is* a sword.

velvet nightmare
2009-04-14, 14:55
ok fine, 'straight' sword

haia calls his current blue weapon 'sword'

giorno
2009-04-14, 16:42
it looks like a longsword or a broadsword...but i guess it might still have the sharpness of a katana?

blewin
2009-04-15, 01:03
um.... seems to be a sword, since Layfon insists that he'll not be using a Katana (reason? wait to be revealed in the anime!).

MafiaSoldier
2009-04-16, 10:01
Episode 14 showed us how badass in a battle Layfon can be, I mean, this guy is a straight up fighter and is an awesome addition to Nina's 17th platoon, I hope we get to see more great battles with Layfon in the future. Dude knows how to weild a dite, thats for sure :)

SageGaiGar
2009-04-16, 13:29
um.... seems to be a sword, since Layfon insists that he'll not be using a Katana (reason? wait to be revealed in the anime!).

I guess it may have to do with his previous 'Disarming' that led to him being kicked out.

Kind of the classic "I try not to hurt people even if I'm way more bad-ass than you" style like in Kenshin and Trigun etc. A Shonen staple.

VooXoo
2009-05-17, 11:47
Layfon Wolfstein Alseif aka Layton aka Fon-Fon aka motherfucking fist of the north star to the 2nd power (note: Wolfstein seems to be his title from when he was a Heaven Blade).

HE walk into Mordor like a walk in the park.....by the age of ten.
He eject himself in the sky like Spider-Man.....without parachute, wings or ways to return on the ground without killing something.
Enter into the mouth of truck-size monsters with sword and motorbike.....and exit by their ass.
Entered the best fighter group in his city-state when he was a child.....and was still growing in strenght.
Refuse easy ways to gain power.....he have already all the power in the World.
Can do fall in love every girl he come across.....and building a harem without knowing himself.
Can change from lame-guy to rape-face or GODDAMNED BATMAN at will.
The city he his grown and later protected have exiliated him because he gained money in underground battle dirtying the heavens blade name.....but he have done it all for the ophans.
Refuse to use the weapon he is good for a rule in the dojo he have leaved miles apart in a city who hates him.....because he is a good student (or because he have cutted a arm off with said weapon).
Can fight for days with monsters when recovering from a wound at the back.....without resting, you must shot him for making he calm down (note: he gained said wound from a bridge collapsing on him when he saved a girl).
Is modest.
He fight monster in a wasted World with poisonus air without protection.....for the lulz.
He hide his past because the people can only judge him like bad.....but he have protected the reputation of the guy who have framed him and wanted steal his HB with cheap ways (ok that is only stupid).
Cook well.
Hard worker.
Naive (most of the time).

Only great flaw, when he doesn't have his guard up everything can hit him (his response time is slow out from battle).

This is Layfon for me (up to 19th ep.).

Rikkimaru
2009-07-05, 20:21
On the surface, Layfon appears as a incredibly strong fighter who was banished, and tries to start a new life away from everyone that knew him. He wants to make up for (run from?) his past actions by devoting himself to the protection of others at his own expense.

What I've found interesting is the growth he's gone through in the past few episodes (on 22 currently). Many of the characters are challenging him to recount his past experiences and value himself as a member instead of an outsider.

I'm still not sure I understand his motivations for becoming a Heaven's Blade originally or why he had to participate in underground matches, but hopefully more of his past will be uncovered!

I wonder what Layfon would have done if he hadn't been recruited into the military arts on Zuellni?

Ah, and he's either a complete blockhead romance-wise, or deliberately avoiding the conflict. Will be interesting to see if there's some backlash in later episodes...

-Rikkimaru

blewin
2009-07-07, 21:15
What I've found interesting is the growth he's gone through in the past few episodes (on 22 currently). Many of the characters are challenging him to recount his past experiences and value himself as a member instead of an outsider.

good point! never did think of it that way.

I'm still not sure I understand his motivations for becoming a Heaven's Blade originally or why he had to participate in underground matches, but hopefully more of his past will be uncovered!

I think I'm beginning to mix up which bit of info is from anime and which from novel. Anyway, Layfon became a Heaven Blade successor in order to get more money for the orphanage. Still, it wasn't enough money, so he participated in underground fights AS a Heaven Blade successor. See the difference? Double the attraction for gamblers.

I wonder what Layfon would have done if he hadn't been recruited into the military arts on Zuellni?

Ah, and he's either a complete blockhead romance-wise, or deliberately avoiding the conflict. Will be interesting to see if there's some backlash in later episodes...

-Rikkimaru

yeah, don't think he knows anything about romance at the moment. Probably not his main concern. Considering how he got banished from Grendan... and he's at the bottom of a pit emotional-wise, it's understandable why he wouldn't be interested in romance for now.

shmaster
2009-07-08, 04:29

In a more pessimistic view, I would say "nothing".
Because Layfon never thought about anything else outside fighting to make money for the orphanage in his upbringing. Or more precisely, his economical status wouldn't allow him the time to think and do soemthign else, he is bussy fighting for money all the time, and has to help out in the orphanage in the time that is not.... put it an another way, he has no life.

The official manga best describe the position he is in, he has no hobby, he has no interests what so ever as he never have the time to develop one, and now he tries to do something else... he only end up fidning himself lack any sort fo direction. He has been trying out all the part time jobs he can find in Zeullni and he still didn't find what's best for him.

Really, he has to be more thankful of his fighting skills, at least he has a last restort to make aliving for himself.

~A~
2009-07-14, 19:06
Lets put it this way , Don't piss him off >:D

Kleeyook
2012-01-08, 08:11
I really like Layfon. He's just too unfortunate to be born in that crapsack world. The people in that world (ordinary people) are morons. They worship things like pride in martial arts, while ignoring the basic that martial arts there exist to protect their pitiful worthless lives in the first place. And we have Layfon's master, a moron who view money as trash, but he isn't a buddhist monk but a master of the dojo as well as an orphanage's caretaker, they need money to just stay alive and not starve. Layfon just tried his very best to help the financial problem, but the salary is just way too low, not enough to buy food for the children in orphanage, so he had to participate in the underground tournament for more money (which all other Heaven Blade's successors as well as most military artists in Grendan didn't give a damn) only to be looked down as a dirt by the people who probably never fight against filth monsters to protect their city before and had to leave like that.

Then he still had to face problems from people in his new city, like Nina and Gornero who keep talking about crap like the honor of martial arts while they have no power to fight against filth monsters to protect their city. I'm speechless at this kind of situation. No wonder humankind will always be bastards. No wonder why some veteran soldiers love war, slaughtering and pain and losing their humanity to conflict. It's impossible to live an honest life in that world if everyone has such bias view on him. They don't have the concept of putting themselves into someone else's shoes. The problem with Layfon's past never really get fixed in the whole anime, they just simply forget it, but Layfon will always blame himself and be negative about that forever.

I really hate Nina for almost everything she did to Layfon. The rich girl who escaped from their parents to seek adventure, comparing to a poor orphan who tried his best to support himself and his family...

godgiven25
2012-01-12, 05:01
A semi-protagonist who is hopeless in anything but fighting, cooking, and being chased by attractive girls