Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Arabesque

Notices

Conversation Between Arabesque and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 41 to 47 of 47
  1. Arabesque
    2011-05-28 01:07
    Arabesque
    Um, I wrote a reply to your post back at RP, but it seems like it didn't show up? :?
  2. Arabesque
    2011-05-27 02:11
    Arabesque
    (Was going to post something in the X-Men thread, but couldn't at the time)

I was pleasantly surprised with the way they characterized Scott in the anime. I mean even for non comic readers he isn't exactly a favorite (neither the movies nor the cartoons managed to make him more likable) so watching them give him depth and make us understand the mind set he operates with makes him, despite still being a jerk, more sympathetic.

That's not to say I don't agree with duckroll's post about the writing (it's average at best, though compared with the past two marvel anime, it might as well be a classic) but I think that while the visual aspect of the show is the strong point of it, the way certain plot points in the show manage to give it more depth to visual scenes makes it above average and even at times great imo (episode 7 is the strongest due to this, especially Scott scene at the end)
  3. Triple_R
    2011-04-22 18:37
    Triple_R
    Glad you like my new avatar.

If you ever need a morning rescue, you know who to call.
  4. Arabesque
    2011-04-21 15:33
    Arabesque
    Nice avatar
  5. Arabesque
    2011-01-09 18:04
    Arabesque
    Your welcome, I was thinking of sending you a request for sometime now.

I answered the point you made in the thread because I also believe its an important one. There is a serious misconception about the magical girl genre that makes a good deal of people no give the shows under it a fair chance (I mean, shows like Princess Tutu, Utena, or Card Captor Sakura are all genuinely good smart shows, but I've many comments about how they cater to the lolicon crowd and are the equivalent of brainless fan service shows.) It's truly an unfortunate stigma and one I think got attached to it unfairly in recent years (after all, we did have a high profile mainstream magical girl show such as Sailor Moon being widely accepted just as much as Dragon Ball).

Ah, ANN. It makes sense for those sort of comment to pop up there I must say though, it might be a good thing that the reaction to Madoka is so positive in a place like ANN (hell, even Zav Bertchy gave it a high rating which is saying a lot coming from him) so hopefully that helps remove that misconception (or at the very least, reduce it)

On the sexual parts, I do agree with you that they aren't displayed in the genre in such an obvious manner, and in many cases (such as Princess Tutu) are very subtly and help give the show additional depth (by having elements that younger viewers might not understand or appreciate fully but can grasp the concept behind it, while at the same time having older viewers see how such themes help enhance and i many cases, complement the relationships between the characters) On the fanart, I agree with you that certain ones are very unappealing (and some can boarder on being disturbing) though that doesn't necessarily is to blame on the genre itself. I haven't seen StrikerS, but I'm familiar with Nanoha and the clear aging process she goes through, and I personally think its a great thing as well

Trust me, what you are saying doesn't fall on deaf ears. I really do appreciate how much thought you put into it, and the ideas you bring out are excellent.

It's a good thing that my suggestions proved useful then. I was worried because while the shows I had given did have decent-to-strong plots and did take them seriously, I consider most of them to be more about the characters and the strengths they display, the journeys and the development they undergo (as I personally can forgive an anime having a somewhat weak plot if it contains strong or at least likable characters) Planetes is a very excellent anime and I'm hoping you enjoy it.

Again, your welcome and thank you for sending it I'll be around the forums mainly in the KamiNomi, Star Driver, Gsick and Madoka threads, but hopefully we cross paths on other threads as well
  6. Triple_R
    2011-01-09 11:49
    Triple_R
    Thanks a lot.

I was impressed by how you took my points on magical girl anime on the Madoka Magika thread seriously, and came up with a pretty good and thorough answer. To answer your question there, it was actually mostly ANN's forums where I noticed a lot of people saying (more or less) "I really don't like magical girl anime, but I do like Madoka Magica a lot".

You're probably right that "Lolicon? ewwww..." is a factor there, yeah. Which is a bit of a shame, since the sexual aspect of magical girls is usually presented in a subtle way that doesn't get in the way of appreciating them at other levels, imo. Although I will admit that some fan artwork of magical girls strikes me as a bit squicky. Let's just say that I'm thankful for Nanoha StrikerS (and its sexy adult Nanoha/Fate) in large part for this reason, lol.

Thanks a lot for your compliments! Sometimes I think that I take anime too seriously, and my points are falling on deaf ears, lol. Glad to know that's not always the case, at least.

As for your suggestions, I've already seen Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven, and Utena. All are excellent suggestions for what I was looking for there, it's just that I've already seen them. Planetes, however, is something I've been thinking about watching, and given your suggestion, I'll check it out soon.

Anyway, thanks for accepting the friend request. Hope to see you around on the boards.
  7. Arabesque
    2011-01-09 07:48
    Arabesque
    Thank you for the friend request

I really enjoy reading your posts, especially the ones coming from the side I disagree with. They hold such deep insight and are always thoughtful.

I hope the suggestions I gave to you helped, as I couldn't remember which ones you've already seen.