Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Pocari_Sweat

Notices

Conversation Between Pocari_Sweat and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 241 to 250 of 584
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-13 06:16
    0utf0xZer0
    Quote:
    Nah, I thought you were Type B otaku that only watches "moeshit" and claims characters like Yui as your waifu.
    My waifu is KURONEKO you infidel.
    Though Azusa is an appealing option, as is Charlotte Dunois. And while I'm loath to admit it, Kotomi is appealing on a sheer huggability factor.

Quote:
    Must be the elitist oldschool Bioware fan in me but the Dragon Age: Origins was a massive disappointment compared to the likes of the Baldur's Gate franchise and the Fallout franchise (excluding Fallout 3, that was just Elder Scrolls with guns and thus meh). Never cared about Mass effect though it's probably more popular than even than Baldurs Gate at its prime by now.
    Prior to playing DA I tended to find most "full fat" RPGs I tried either a bit too overwhelming or a bit too clunky to really work for me. I think DA just managed to hit a sweet spot between meaty complexity and streamlining to really work for me. Plus, I liked a lot of the core characters and the fact it actually did force making some tough calls.

(Major surprise: the amount of time I spent doing extra stuff to pimp out my party. I generally haven't regarded myself as the kind of person who does that in games.)

The Witcher 1 and 2 are actually next on my list if I ever manage to finish my playthroughs of Awakening, X-Com, and a few VNs (and DA:Inquisition hasn't come out yet), and I actually did find the time to sample a few hours of the first one at one point. The setting looks greats, though the way travel and time of day are implemented feels a bit tedious.

I also have to say that Wild Hunt looks like a great way to show off a nice rig... I just may not be able to afford one for a while after the game's release.
  2. Pocari_Sweat
    2014-01-13 05:41
    Pocari_Sweat
    Quote:
    You must stalk me as much as I stalk other people on here
    Aren't you honored?

Quote:
    You must stalk me as much as I stalk other people on here. And my liking stuff like Fate/Zero and Shin Sekai Yori didn't tip you off that I do watch some stuff for the plot?
    Nah, I thought you were Type B otaku that only watches "moeshit" and claims characters like Yui as your waifu. .

Quote:
    My favourite single player game of the past 5+ years - Dragon Age: Origins - isn't exactly cute girls and kittens either.
    Must be the elitist oldschool Bioware fan in me but the Dragon Age: Origins game was a massive disappointment compared to the likes of the Baldur's Gate franchise and the Fallout franchise (excluding Fallout 3, that was just Elder Scrolls with guns and thus meh). Never cared about Mass effect though it's probably more popular than even than Baldurs Gate at its prime by now.

Have you perhaps tried the Witcher franchise?

EDIT: I think we had this conversation before, so if I repeated, apologies!
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-13 05:31
    0utf0xZer0
    You must stalk me as much as I stalk other people on here. And my liking stuff like Fate/Zero and Shin Sekai Yori didn't tip you off that I do watch some stuff for the plot?

My favourite single player game of the past 5+ years - Dragon Age: Origins - isn't exactly cute girls and kittens either.
  4. Pocari_Sweat
    2014-01-13 05:15
    Pocari_Sweat
    Never took you as a Game of Thrones fan.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-13 04:09
    0utf0xZer0
    I occassionally read and even more occassionally post on LiA.

And then it was all like "Wait, all this discussion and nobody mentioned *that* line yet? I must rectify this situation!"
  6. Pocari_Sweat
    2014-01-13 04:06
    Pocari_Sweat
    Did you just post on enzo's blog lol? If so, HAI ~
  7. Pocari_Sweat
    2014-01-13 03:14
    Pocari_Sweat
    So Wizard barristers is about legal officers in a court of magic. Ok that totally appeals in the lawyer in me lol.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-13 01:40
    0utf0xZer0
    I didn't care for the first episode of Space Dandy but I felt a lot better at the end of the second. The main character still seems obnoxious in a not so great way, but there were flashes of cleverness in episode 2 that make me way more optomistic about the show. Time will tell, I guess.

I agree that Yamakan will probably balance celebrating with criticizing, which is going to make things tricky for him. He can't really portray the industry's dark side as easy to avoid or just a few bad apples, because that tells fans that they don't need to worry about it too much. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

Where is should be much easier to make a statement, of course, is on the issue of scandals. I've long been convinced that there's a lot of fans (be they otaku, idol fans, etc.) out there who dislike the atrocious behavior of certain fans, but are too ashamed and embarrassed to speak out about it. I'd love for Yamakan to give voice to their sentiments, and that's something I can see him doing given that Fractale made it pretty clear where he falls on that issue. Plus they've already foreshadowed that the issue will come up.

Still wondering how I'm going to settle on a reasonable watch list this season, the relatively short list of clear cut winners could make things tricky.
  9. Pocari_Sweat
    2014-01-12 22:37
    Pocari_Sweat
    Will be checking out Wizard Barristers in the near future. Though my dose of AWESOME is in Space Dandy at the moment. Also lol Galilei Donna (and Samurai Flamenco). Talk about two noitamina shows that completely trainwrecked.

I seriously doubt that Wake up Girls is going to be a full out social commentary that scathed on the idol industry, but if it does elect to do a social commentary, it will take a balanced approach of both celebrating but also criticising the more ugly parts of the industry. If they manage to do this on top of the heartwarming, down-to-earth rags-to-riches success story, then it will truly an excellent anime and a best case scenario.

However, I'm keeping expectations modest as I'm half-expecting for one or more of these wanted elements not to be present or in a manner that I want it to be presented, given how awful the start of the season has been.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-12 19:10
    0utf0xZer0
    Hmmm, just watched Wake Up Girls episode 1 and I liked it more than the movie. I like that it had more interactions between the girls and I also really liked the "week after" scenario more interesting than the lead up to the concert itself, because the "we're going to perform anyway" thing was pretty cliche.

It'll be interested to see how Yamakan balances celebrating and criticizing idol culture. Personally, I'm not a big fan of works that take a super scathing approach - while I acknowledge they're often saying something that needs to be said, they generally don't make me stop being a fan, they just make me more weary and defensive about it. Whereas works that celebrate but also criticize tend to be far more enjoyable, but can feel like they're not actually accomplishing much in the end because they aren't being critical enough. My guess is Yamakan will tend towards the latter - and I'll probably like the show more because of it.

Re: panty flashes... I know a couple girls who perform at local anime conventions and have also made it on Japanese talent shows. I don't know what they did for the Japanese performances, but here they just wear bike shorts or something similar if they're performing something where their skirts won't cut it.

P.S. Looks like I may end up watching Nisekoi as well, my Shaft fangirl of a girlfriend likes it.