Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > WanderingKnight

Notices

Conversation Between WanderingKnight and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Last Sinner
    2011-07-26 22:40
    Last Sinner
    Are you still around these parts? You were one of the people I enjoyed seeing post most. ><

If you are - AVCon 2011 (anime and video games convention in Adelaide that happened July 23-24) was awesome. 14k+ attendance was a damn good result, particularly considering Adelaide is one of the smaller capital cities in Australia. Nearly 50 people attended the History of Anime panel I did - which is a lot more than I expected, particularly since LittleKuriboh was doing a repeat of his panel at that time. Editing of the recording is finished, doing the uploads now. Presentation lated 51 minutes, so the panel will be uploaded as 4 videos (Youtube's current limit is 15 mins) and fully available in 8 hours. Look forward to it.
  2. Last Sinner
    2010-10-12 00:16
    Last Sinner
    With the dire threat of full hard drives, I started watching series I've delayed for years.

K-ON was just a zenith above average for me. I could easily live without it. I doubt I'll watch it again. But I don't regret it. It seems to be the definition of a 7/10 series - was worth a watch but clearly could have done so much better.

Permanently dropped Shana, Railgun, Blue Drop, Samurai 7, Rideback.

However, I just watched the first 7 episodes of Bamboo Blade....

PSYCH! God, I love this one!!!

I'll be watching Simoun in the near Future.
  3. Last Sinner
    2010-10-05 08:18
    Last Sinner
    Looks like Panty and Stocking may really backfire for Gainax. I'm hearing very negative things about it mainly. And the bit I did watch left me feeling very defiled and mortified. Then again, I don't expect anything else from Gainax.
  4. Last Sinner
    2010-10-03 23:06
    Last Sinner
    Oh god...'The War'....please tell me Simoun is nothing like 'The War'...it can't be if my mentor liked it. I mean I liked Asuka and Misato to a point, but there are so many things wrong with it that shouldn't be forgiven yet it's treated like it's the best thing that ever will be made in series form. And considering how the remake is selling compared to anything else made, that may be what Japan believes - that they will never got over 'The War'. And yeah, myself and the circle I'm in utterly despise Anno.

I found Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain far better for existential debate. Abe was far better at keeping things together and making them interesting.
  5. WanderingKnight
    2010-10-03 23:00
    WanderingKnight
    Do watch it. It's a show that merits several views, and there's a lot to analyze. It's really close to the existential issues discussed in NGE, but it's done from a different standpoint, and it arrives at a slightly different conclusion.
  6. Last Sinner
    2010-10-03 22:56
    Last Sinner
    I do have Simoun, haven't watched it yet. My anime mentor adores it. I picked it up because of that. And because I like female-female relationships. ^^ I believe it was from 2006. Deen spent most of their budget on Simoun that year and left the dregs for Higurashi. Yet it was the latter that became popular...
  7. WanderingKnight
    2010-10-03 22:44
    WanderingKnight
    Katanagatari is boring as hell. Seriously I have no idea what the scriptwriters were thinking. I remember a 20 minute long scene of inane dialogue between two characters with no point at all (abusing the gimmick of "OH LOOK GUYS WE'RE BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL THIS IS SO REVOLUTIONARY), and I fell asleep in two different episodes.

ARIA is good... but it's for when you are in a specific mood. I loved it, but I don't know if I would enjoy it as much if I rewatched it now. Eureka Seven is all right.

Something I would really suggest if you haven't seen it yet is the precious hidden gem from 2004 (?) called Simoun. A lot of people were turned off by the first episode since it depicts some very blatant yuri overtones, but if you stick with it, it's pure brilliance. Too bad the animation was done by Studio DEEN, which means it is crappy from a technical standpoint -- but they managed to produce a unique style that suits the show really well. It's in my top three list ever, a fantastic show everyone should watch at least once.
  8. Last Sinner
    2010-10-03 22:20
    Last Sinner
    Rainbow is one I'll be catching up on, that got a good wrap but is pretty drark.
    House of Five Leaves - didn't quite finish that, will have to. It's an interesting story but was never spectacular. Bit light for a samurai anime, heh.
    I suppose I'd better give Katanagatari an earnest try. The fact it was an episode a month made me put it off until enough was out.
    And then I'd better watch 2005 material I really should have tried by now, like Noein, Aria and Eureka Seven.
  9. WanderingKnight
    2010-10-03 22:08
    WanderingKnight
    Well, only Tatami Galaxy thus far. I'm really disappointed with the shows I've watched this year, which have been decidedly few since so little has piqued my interest. I took a break after Tatami Galaxy finished, though, so I might have missed a lot of stuff (currently I'm only watching Panty & Stocking, and only because it's Gainax...).
  10. Last Sinner
    2010-09-30 20:19
    Last Sinner
    What is your take on 2010? Personally, while I think there have been more series around the mark this year, I've found less to reach the top echelon. In fact, the only one I'd be willing to give it to is The Tatami Galaxy. House of Five Leaves was good but didn't seem to go anywhere much despite its intriguing premise/style. (But hey, made by the same guy who did Ristorante Paradiso, so no surprise) Hanamaru Kindergarten was great twisted humour in a sugary setting. Sora no Woto was visual bliss and something to just flake out to, although it was ridiculously rushed near the end. Not to mention its concept of physics is utterly whack.

What has been worth your while in 2010?