Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 181 to 190 of 544
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-03-17 02:54
    0utf0xZer0
    I generally haven't been a bit fan of the "two cour shows are better than one" thesis, but if I had to pick my top three shows at the moment, they'd be Nagi no Asukara, Tokyo Ravens, and Kill la Kill.

Spoiler for Nagi no Asukara 23:

Golden Time is the one carryover that I feel has kind of lost it - the characters and story elements are really interesting, but for some reason the show has started to feel somewhat "eye roll worthy".

As a side note, a friend and I decided to try sampling some Peach Pit shows on the weekend and I ended up breaking out the original Rozen Maiden for the first time in years.

First off, at least based on the first episode, it's not just nostalgia value: it's a pretty good show.
    Second, it got me thinking about the reception of the 2013 sequel. I know some posters around here really dug the more mature tone of the sequel - but rewatching the original does really drive home just how much more colour, humour and energy the original had. I'd have to say I came out of it feeling pretty neutral - there's good cases to be made for both shows.
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-02-26 03:25
    0utf0xZer0
    And in turn I'm not that surprised you suspected she was my favourite.

The comparison with Rin and Hitagi is as much about personality as appearance. Between Rin and Hitagi, Satsuki reminds me a lot more of Hitagi - perhaps with a bit of Kamina thrown in. But I think all three are powerful, elegant and have a good mix of "calm and collected" and "fiery". I was also trying to hint- perhaps a bit too subtly - that these sorts of characters a) have a history of appearing alongside cuter characters and b) are probably liked by many of the same people who like those cute characters. Ie. my usual argument that fans have broader and more nuanced tastes than they're often given credit for.

I do agree she's one of the most interesting and nuanced characters in the show.

(Edit: obligatory moe analysis of Satsuki... I'm going to try running through about four different ways of defining moe here. 1) Bloom/"sparkle" (thank you Hanasaku Iroha!) definition: Yes. Wild Rose, anyone? 2) "Intense admiration" definition: Yes, even though she's kind of a fascist. That she's portrayed sympathetically helps here. 3) "Warm and fuzzy feeling" definition: Weak, she doesn't really have a warmer/cuter side like Rin and even Hitagi do. 4) Protective feelings/vulnerability definition: I'm inclined to say weak though this is tricky - she's has a tragic backstory, but she carries it so well that I don't end up feeling the same way as I do for say, Iriya or Kotomi.)

(BTW, while she doesn't really watch KlK, my girlfriend likes Satsuki... my girlfriend's favourite older anime is probably Utena so that may explain part of the appeal.)

By comparison, I find Ryuuko a little too "meatheaded" for my taste. Mako strikes me as similar to a character like Yui* - I like her as a comedic character, but not really my type. (*Actually, I think that if you dropped Eru from Hyouka in Kill la Kill, I think that - social status aside - the result would end up like Mako, but that end result is also more Yui than Eru.) And she actually faces some stiff competition from other KlK characters for the best comedic character spot - Gamagoori would be a definite contender, which might explain part of why people like to ship them.

I like long straight hair though not to the extent that its occurrence on my favourites list would suggest. If I whip up a quick "top five waifu" list, you get Kuroneko, Hanekawa, Matsuri, Azusa (the K-On! one) and Horo. That's what... 60%? Maybe 70% if you give half credit for when Azusa has her hair down. However, I like Azusa and (assuming we're talking her season one look) Hanekawa's regular hairstyles a lot too. And outside that top five list, I also absolutely adore the way Zakuro in Otome Youkai Zakuro mixes twintails and ribbons while still striking an appropriate balance between cute and elegant for her character.

Of the straight haired girls, I probably feel the most strongly about it in regards to Kuroneko. It's tricky to explain, but I supposed I could say she has such a strong "traditional Japanese beauty" look that it would be a shame for her to wear it any other way?

(Wait... I just remembered that I also dig Zakuro with her hair down. Damn it.)
  3. Triple_R
    2014-02-25 06:16
    Triple_R
    Honestly, no, I wasn't surprised by your choice of favorite character. Satsuki was actually the first character to come to mind for me when I read your latest VM to me. I figured it was probably her or Mako, and in Mako's case, I considered her largely because she seems to be the most popular character in the show in general.

Satsuki isn't that visually different from a lot of other popular, well-beloved anime characters - I've seen some fan-art that mixes and matches her with Akemi Homura, for example. She has that tall, full-bodied, long dark-haired look that's popular in anime. Like Hitagi and like Rin.

I've noticed over the years that a fair number of your favorite female anime characters have long, straight hair going for them - Like Sola's Matsuri and Spice and Wolf's Holo. So I think that this is probably a character design element that visually appeals to you.

And putting visual appeal aside, I myself consider Satsuki the most interesting character in the show. I think she's very well-developed, and has some intriguing ambiguity to her, but also while being very well-defined in some areas.
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-02-25 02:22
    0utf0xZer0
    Finally got caught up with KlK - I've been watching that one with friends and we had about a four week gap in our regular screenings due to various circumstances.

I'm curious as to whether you find my choice of favourite character surprising:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...9&postcount=90
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-02-15 15:28
    0utf0xZer0
    I'll keep that in mind, not sure when I'll have time to get around to it though.

Also:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=124595
    Urobuchi and the director of Ga-rei Zero do an original anime. Now, I realize he also worked as a director on the Fate/Zero adaptation, but some how the pairing seems fitting.

Edit: Also, my mandatory comment when Inari KonKon come up... Touka x Uka OTP.
  6. Triple_R
    2014-02-13 14:46
    Triple_R
    Noticed your recent postings on Pocari Sweat's wall. You probably should know that Love Live!'s first episode is its weakest, by a significant margin, imo. So you're in for a treat if you go back to it, and watch it all.
  7. Triple_R
    2014-01-29 19:06
    Triple_R
    I'm almost caught back up on Tokyo Ravens - I just finished watching Episode 15 about 30 minutes ago.

Yeah, it's been really great the last few episodes. I'm glad they moved on from the comedy blackmailing they had going on for awhile there. The more serious episodes in this are truly great, and the action scenes are just wondrous.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-25 23:45
    0utf0xZer0
    Are you sure it was me? I haven't found Nisekoi all that compelling regardless of Shaft's involvement, at best I've said I might watch more if I wasn't feeling too genre fatigued or I might watch it with my girlfriend since she likes it. I've been more into this season's other arranged marriage comedy (Engaged to the Unidentified) since it's comedy is less overtly conflict driven.

Edit: ...And my girlfriend just texted to say this week's Nisekoi was "amazing". This isn't a great season in terms of being able to nail down a watch list...
  9. Triple_R
    2014-01-25 18:10
    Triple_R
    I recently checked out Nisekoi's first episode because I recall you bringing it up awhile ago. I do love the SHAFT style, and the interactions between the male and female lead are relatively fresh and edgy (in the sense of them being combative with each other, but it not being straightforward tsundere-esque material).

However, the Yazuka "Arranged Marriage" element is a bit off-putting to me. For one thing, it was painfully predictable that it would be her. There's also how relationships that grow out of two people literally being forced together (and/or through blackmail) isn't an idea I'm fond of. Not sure yet if I'll be able to work around this issue.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-22 05:33
    0utf0xZer0
    Updated impressions time!

Stuff I'm loving: Nagi no Asukara, Tokyo Ravens, Seitokai Yakuindomo S2
    Pumped for: The Pilot's Love Song, Engaged to the Unidentified, Sakura Trick, D-Frag, Kill la Kill, Golden Time, Wake Up Girls
    Also liking: No-Rin, Wizard Barristers, Inari Konkon, Koi Iroha, Space Dandy
    Stuff that I'm likely to end up watching because of my girlfriend, brother, anime buddies, etc: Saki: The Nationals, Nise-koi, Nobunga the Fool, Nobunagun
    Still wildcard: Pupa

Comments:

I didn't care much for Seitokai Yakuindomo's "let's reintroduce everyone!" season opener, but episodes two and three were a fantastic return to form. I have no idea why I find the combination of rather crude running gags - in fact, I didn't find the first season that compelling until about episode four when some of the show's tropes became running gags - and very subtle of romantic subtext so damn compelling, but I do.

The Pilot's Love Song has been very solid, but I'm not sure what I thought about Kal-El staring at the painting in episode 3. It felt to me like they were really trying to force home a point that had already been made.

I've already said some things about why I like Wake Up Girls elsewhere, but the big appeal for me is seeing how Yamakan reconciles his love for idol groups with his distaste of aspects of industry. To me, that's more interesting than the criticism itself. Plus, while people might not like hearing what he has to say, he doesn't have the added problem outside critics have of insular fandoms being weary of outsiders. (BTW, I'm not actually sure causing a stir on 2ch means the show is doomed. I'm taking a wait and see approach on that (as if I wasn't already prone to doing so…).)

I settled on Engaged to the Unidentified, D-Frag, and No-Rin as my bets for comedies this season (Sakura Trick is different enough that I'm not lumping it in here). No-Rin started the strongest but I haven't found the jokes after Yukata is introduced as funny as those before (the opening scene of episode 1 was a riot). Engaged is probably the frontrunner of this group - it's the cutest of the three, and has the best OP. D-Frag continues to hold steady because I find KanaHana's character amusing.

Loved Space Dandy's second episode, didn't care much for the first or third. The second is also the one that reminds me the most of some of Bebop's better comedy episodes.

I love Inari Konkon, Koi Iroha's premise, and I don't mind the shoujo touches (hey, I utterly love stuff like Otome Youkai Zakuro and Inu x Boku SS - although I guess those are technically classed as seinen) for the most part. However, it feels like it's aimed at a younger audience and could maybe use a bit more subtly and wit. Will be watching closely since I don't think it's fair to judge on one episode.

I like Wizard Barristers for it's action and crazy character designs, though between this and Galilei Donna I must say I'm not found of this director's way of doing legal procedural scenes. I feel like the tension in such scenes should come from something other than having the court completely and utterly stacked against the protagonist(s).

Of the "watch with others" list, Nobunagun and the new Saki are probably the most interest, the former for it's Symphogear like sensibilities and butchering of historical figures, the latter for a slower paced moe fix - my interest with Sonico lasted until shortly into episode 2. That seems to happen to me a lot with shows I use as a "moe fix" actually - they temporarily serve as a fix, then I get frustrated with them.