AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Requiem-x
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 155
  1. Triple_R
    2017-06-24 23:52
    Triple_R
    Sorry about the late reply. I've been battling the flu a lot the last few days. Also, a lot of family events this time of year for me, including Father's Day and my parents' wedding anniversary recently. It's been mostly fun, but also pretty time-consuming. I hope to get back to you in more detail within the next day or two. Hope things are going well for you right now!
  2. Requiem-x
    2017-06-18 23:05
    Requiem-x
    Hey there. How have you been? Me, dealing with some personal issues, but nothing that stops me from being here (Basically, I'm overthinking a lot of stuff and gotta learn to chill...and connect with others).

In the anime front, Tsuki ga Kireri is easily the best stuff this season. How about you?

Oh, and how have you been? Doing good?
  3. Requiem-x
    2017-05-23 00:24
    Requiem-x
    True, showing flaws, without making the character look like an idiot, is always a good way to avoid the overly perfect problem, and just make them likable, period. I think sunshine did this well enough with You and very well with Chika. That said, I can also understand why some people wouldn't like You, mainly because of everything I said in the previous post, but honestly, I never found any of the LL girls for either group troublesome in that kind of sense, i.e, no one is too perfect.

I'd like to add something to your comment about the invincible island: it's equally important for the rest of the cast to not view the character as such, that is, a perfect super-being. Don't know if you saw it, but the kancolle anime is one of the absolute worst at this: The main character is a relatively normal young girl that at no point breaks the (admitedly flimsy) rules the world works on, and improves through sheer effort and use of common sense, yet the story cannot make the strongest people stop yapping about how special and amazing she could be (also, its too lenghty to bring up here, but if you're into kancolle, you know their reasoning for how special she is makes no sense whatsoever) and keeps getting into the limelight for all the wrong reasons. It's disgusting to see, specially because I actually liked her, and still do, but all that awfully directed praise definetly made a lot of people wanting nothing to do with her.

Basically, sometimes its not the character itself, but the plot and everyone else what really creates this impression of having a sense of perfection shoved into your face, which sometimes can make it hard to tell where the problem truly lies.

Also, I went to a small anime con yesterday, and was glad to see that, despite how rought things are over here, you can still see some darn good cosplay, including the most obscure one in the whole place by far:

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Hope you like it
  4. Triple_R
    2017-05-22 23:23
    Triple_R
    You was helped by showcasing her emotional vulnerabilities in Episodes 10 and 11. Such vulnerabilities are, in a sense, like a flaw or a weakness. Because they do cause real problems for the character, right?

That being said, people's mileage does vary here. I know a couple people that do, in fact, consider You "too perfect" and/or "too vanilla". And while I like You a lot myself, I get where they're coming from.

I think for a lot of people, the big line in the sand is a character being so good (and/or powerful) that they make the other characters around them feel redundant. This certainly wasn't the case with You, as other Aqours members provided things that she couldn't (perhaps the best example here would be Riko and Riko's piano-playing).

It's best if a character doesn't feel like an invincible island, and/or someone who always gets their way in every instance. Love Live is generally good here in having its major protagonists endure significant setbacks from time to time.
  5. Requiem-x
    2017-05-22 22:49
    Requiem-x
    Hey there. How have you been? Me, busy with work and dreaming of a better life in a different country, while enjoying some nice anime in the meanwhile. Anything you like this season?

On another topic, something I just thought out of curiosity lately: What do you think truly makes a character feel overpowered, overrated or just plain annoying to follow? I ask this because lately I've been looking back on Sunshine and seen just how easily You could be seen as obnoxious waifu bait: looks great, athletic, knows how to cook, sew and is REALLY into cosplay. Yet, she was a perfectly good likable character. Personally, I think it's because no character, or the story itself, glorified her to hell, just letting her do her thing, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I wanted to see what you think of the issue.
  6. Triple_R
    2017-04-18 07:15
    Triple_R
    I'm fine. I've probably said my piece on Re:Creators Episode 2, and there are other things I'll be busy with during this week, so I'm probably done with that series thread for awhile.

Nice to see that we're both enjoying My Hero Academia Season 2 a lot!
  7. Requiem-x
    2017-04-17 22:35
    Requiem-x
    Hey there. Still feeling the hype?
  8. Requiem-x
    2017-04-16 22:07
    Requiem-x
    I was curious about the change in your avatar. I do know that feel, so enjoy it as much as you can.

Indeed, so far she's the one acting the way you'd want a character to act in this kind of situation. Glad to see we have a strong lead for this ride.
  9. Triple_R
    2017-04-16 21:29
    Triple_R
    Just so you know, I mainly want to put off further discussion right now because I'm on an emotional high after my Habs defeated the New York Rangers in Game 3 to take a 2-1 Series lead. My NHL fandom is about as big as my anime fandom, and with this being the NHL playoffs... yeah, right now, NHL fandom might actually take top spot for me.

I fully intend to check out the Re:Creators thread tomorrow. One thing we probably agree on is Celestia. She's great. I'm really liking her character so far.
  10. Requiem-x
    2017-04-16 21:24
    Requiem-x
    As someone who has raising project as one of his favorite light novels, I can see where you're coming from, though I do have some comments to make as well. Anyway, enjoy a discussion free evening.