AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Last Sinner

Notices

Conversation Between Last Sinner and stray
Showing Visitor Messages 31 to 40 of 43
  1. stray
    2022-05-23 13:18
    stray
    I started the KareKano anime but it was too... Gainax, so I ended up switching to the manga but it just didn't really click for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, still have manga scans on my PC I think. I don't really remember much about Spice and Wolf other than the economics stuff being more rudimentary than I expected. I couldn't get into Horimiya but I enjoyed Toradora for what it was -- I really loved Golden Time (same author) though. Citrus is one of my favorites though I'm behind on Citrus + and while I enjoyed Bloom Into You I didn't really like how the manga ended. Can't Defy The Lonely Girl is another cute yuri series I'm following... oh if you can handle middle school romance The Dangers in my Heart is fucking amazing.

As far as VN and VNRPG I tend to stick to moege more than melodrama though I do enjoy darker things -- my avatar is from Dohna Dohna and I absolutely fucking loved School Days HQ. I've really struggled to get into western original stuff though. Just recently I tried a yuri VNRPG called After I Met That Catgirl, My Questlist Got Too Long! but stalled out pretty quickly. Oh and the Flowers final episode comes out June 18 in English.

I spent a decent amount of time in Toronto and kind of understand Leafs fans struggles but in the grand scheme don't really care. If I had to pick a Canadian team it would probably be the Ottawa Senators. I barely even realized that Seattle had a team now but they had a year more typical of expansion teams. Vegas was really an outlier.

I saw some articles about the Aus elections but can't claim to know too much about it. Hopefully the incoming government is... less shitty.
  2. Last Sinner
    2022-05-21 13:25
    Last Sinner
    Today was the long awaited federal election. Despite some somewhat understandable independent swings in voting, Labor was declared the winner late tonight. They may crawl over the line to form a majority government but given they were preferenced by Greens/Independents, it should be official in the coming days that they will be in charge for the first time since 2013. Morrison is gone...him and those damn Liberals are finally gone...I think what I feel tonight is similar to how Australia felt when Whitlam defeated Menzies in the late 1970s to end Liberal ruling for 16.5 years. But, this country is reeling. Learning today that Australia now has the highest rona infection rate in the world is just yet another reason this result needed to happen.

I think this person's take on the Golden Knights may be to your liking. If there is one video that got me to get really intrigued by ice hockey though, it was the one on the Toronto Maple Leafs. The day has to come that things go right for them again. The curse of Harold Ballard has to rack off eventually. Seriously, Toronto just had to be the one unlucky team to draw Tampa in the first round and lose in 7. Florida look like they're about to get swept by Tampa yet the Leafs came painfully close to prevailing. The Leafs are the ultimate mix of instantaneous agony and ecstasy.

Btw, when you say you weren't into Kare Kano, was it the manga or the anime? Because the anime is very inaccurate and Tsuda eventually banned anyone from continuing the adaptation since she was furious with what Anno did to it. For its time, the Kare Kano manga was very daring with progression issues for women. What in particular was it about Spice and Wolf that didn't work for you? As for romances that don't work for me that were popular - definitely Toradora, Dress Up Darling and Horimiya. Other ones I actually like...Emma: A Victorian Romance and Lovely Complex. Yuri-wise, Bloom Into You, Citrus, The Secret of the Princess were ones I didn't mention last time.

VNs...hmmm...I guess Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime and Clannad are obvious ones...(however, not a Nagisa person at all...Kyou and Tomoyo by far...). I really dug the ones Christine Love did (Analogue Plus: A Hate Story and Hate Plus, then the infamous Ladykiller In A Bind that became the title that forced adult content onto Steam), Hong Kong: A Summer's End 1986, Perfect Gold, Love Guitars and the Nashville Skyline. There's a few others I need to get to once I complete my Persona 4 Golden playthrough (in the last dungeon with the Margaret achievement as the remaining one). The Flowers series is definitely one I need to get back to (although the wait for the finale to be translated is still in effect). I guess Seinarukana: The Spirit of Eternity Sword is a VNRPG and I guess that qualifies? (Katima is awesome)

I'll give that title a look at some point. I need to complete P4G once and for all before temperatures truly plummet. Had to start using the heater at night a few days ago. Normally don't need to until June but this year has hit early.

Finally, belated happy birthday.
  3. stray
    2022-05-20 18:09
    stray
    That was a nice run by the Blues that year. I was pulling for the Vegas Knights when they debuted but they ended up fizzling and now they're kind of mediocre. I follow hockey a bit here and there (and have gone to a few games) but not enough to really know many players outside of legends like Crosby. I tend to pull for Spain in the World Cup but I'm not expecting too much from them this time.

Kimi ni Todoke and Nana are two of my all time favorites but Spice and Wolf and Karekano were two things I expected to like and ended up kind of hating. I'm kind of biased toward eroge and eroge adaptations, ef for example is pretty legendary in both formats and a good example of early Shaft. I have limits when it comes to melodrama though, for instance I couldn't stand White Album 2. I tend to be sort of ambivalent about fluff but I'm loving Love after World Domination this season.

ILTV is more of a villainess isekai and tends to focus on political upheaval. Its worth it to check out the manga if you get a chance. There's another cute yuri villainess isekai I'm following from China of all places - Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! though its basically fluff. I'm sort of picky about yuri and can't really get into bait or 60 chapters of "but we're both girls!" before kisses.
  4. Last Sinner
    2022-05-18 17:05
    Last Sinner
    Well, Australia was looking set to get that World Cup, then...Qatar...Enter the blood money. I've lost the zest for soccer I once had. All good coverage is locked behind pay TV and even the ones here don't even allow live coverage anymore so that did it.

My NHL interest came from the St. Louis Blues miracle cup run in 2019. Last halfway through the season, fire their head coach, put in a rookie goalie. Then make the playoffs, win 75% of playoff road games and claim their first cup while denying the Bruins.

I had to wait until 2020 to get hold of Persona 4 Golden. And I won't be surprised if it takes until 2025 for Persona 5 Royal to reach Steam.

Does that yuri LN have a lot of modern isekai stuff? I really have trouble with its attitude of 'I wanna die IRL and go to fantasy land permamently, nearly everything needs to be as stupid or violent as possible.' Bofuri worked for me because Maple only ever sees it as a game and to hang out with friends along with her zany yet honest approach to the game. Romance, I like mature women-young adult men and yuri as the scenarios currently. I bought all volumes of Kimi ni Todoke, Kare Kano, Nana, Say I Love you, but romance like that just doesn't happen anymore and Spice & Wolf was a fluke yet genius combo.
  5. stray
    2022-05-17 21:14
    stray
    I need to finish Persona 5 Strikers... someday I guess.

I kind of liked the idea of Otherside Picnic but pretty much completely lost interest past a point. If you can handle LN (or WN) yuri I'd highly recommend I Love the Villainess. There is a manga too but its taking forever to get to the good parts. I could never really get into Aoi Hana but I absolutely love Yamada and Kase-san. I tend to read a lot of yuri but ILTV and Looking up to Magical Girls are the only things I'm really passionate about right now.

Speaking of Yamadas -- Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru reminds me quite a bit of Net-juu no Susume. I really enjoyed both but kind of lost interest in both.

In middle school I moved to a hockey town and just could never get into it beyond playing Blades of Steel. I guess it was fun enough to play street hockey though I sucked at it. I still follow NBA here and there but I was definitely suffering from Lebron fatigue. KD leaving OKC for the Warriors was even more absurd. Now I get a certain schadenfreude from watching Brooklyn lose for both KD and Ben Simmons. Historically I kind of hate the Celtics but I'm pulling for them this year I think. The only other thing I really looking forward to this year is the World Cup but the schedule is all screwed because its in fucking Qatar.
  6. Last Sinner
    2022-05-17 09:54
    Last Sinner
    Ooh, you ordered the full Summertime Rendering omnibus volumes too? I was all in once I read enough. This is probably a rare time that I like shounen, similar to a rare time where Bofuri was the one modern isekai I like (although from the last few years, Recovery of an MMO Junkie was my fave. Loved that it was an adult cast and always down for Mamiko Noto doing a major role.) I actually had a full set of Aria the Masterpiece (final re-release) arrive recently, stoked I managed to secure that. And as a real shock, recently I learned Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is getting released by Seven Seas as an omnibus starting in August. In terms of other newish manga, The Apothecary Diaries (which I REALLY want to get an anime), Beauty and the Feast, Kase-san and Yamada, Even Though We're Both Adults (Aoi Hana author), Otherside Picnic (forget that poorly adapted anime, the manga is far better). Pulse is another thing I'm keen for its upcoming release - it is by a Thai author but in terms of a very graphic yuri scenario, I raced through it.

Code Geass suffered from Goro being forced to do 50 episodes instead of the 25 he wanted to do. But...he still made it work overall. I'm probably ending my association with it at Resurrection, though - I am not keen for the direction it's taking.

Andy Reid - I wish he had more success...for a guy who kept the Eagles competitive for so long then resurrected the Chiefs and gave Mahomes the platform to succeed, that he had to endure all those playoffs losses on top of the death of his son. At least he won one. I'm sure Bud Grant, Marv Levy and Marty Schottenheimer would have settled for one. Ravens had a virtual record of bad luck with injuries last season. Whether they have the offense to make a deep run is my main concern for them, think they drafted/traded to fix their defense depth.

For the record, I also watch NHL. Used to watch NBA loads since I grew up when Jordan and Shaq were 'it'. But...given they are slaves to the CCP for revenue, the surge in divas and the extreme lack of competitiveness, I'm only paying attention when it's the playoffs. Btw, apologies for Ben Simmons being what he was to the 76ers...it is astounding that a guy with his potential just chooses to just whine/sit out.

I am rarely with the buzz anymore. I couldn't watch Spy x Family past the first episode. I know it has the pulse of the people by far. I know Anya is low-hanging fruit. I just can't buy into it. I'm not the type that can switch off my brain. I'm also really picky as to which kid characters I can stomach, the list is short. I can also see why people dig Ya Boy Kongming, but it definitely ain't my thing. I've reached a weird point in terms of anime. Odd Taxi was a title that cracked my top 10 of all time but it was the only 2021 title I liked. Shounen, brain fluff isekai, cringe/bland/bully romance - not my thing. I felt once I no longer felt a need to have to conform to the tastes of others, I got way more fulfillment from the medium.

I guess another factor is I have sunk a lot of time into Hades and more recently Persona 4 Golden. I finally managed to clear Heat 32 runs on all 6 weapons in Hades (achieve cleared a bit over a year ago), which is very damn hard. P4G, trying to get remaining achieves in my 2nd playthrough.
  7. stray
    2022-05-17 07:21
    stray
    I liked the Summertime Rendering manga enough to where I ordered the hardcover omnibus volumes. 25 episodes still feels a bit short but I guess we'll see, so far the adaptation is amazing. Its still a Jump manga so its got some weight behind it if nothing else. It actually took me a while to get into both Summer Render and Spy x Family mangas because I mostly ignored MangaPlus; I don't really like shounen so I tend to be sort of ambivalent to the buzziest of manga or shows. Spy x Family anime is still a bit overhyped but I really like Anya's seiyuu from her eroge. Conversely I'm glad Ya Boy Kongming got any buzz at all this season, its such a great show for what it is.

I enjoyed Code Geass but I think I actually prefer the rebuild/movie timeline.

As far as the Ravens if nothing else they spanked the Steelers a good number of times. They've struggled in the playoffs more recently though, and sort of fell apart last season. Harbaugh still runs them pretty well overall though, and is one of the longer tenured coaches around. Speaking of long tenured coaches I'm not sure how you feel about KC Chiefs but Andy Reid is exhausting. He was the guy in Philly for like 12 years, and managed one Super Bowl loss out of 4 conference championship appearances. Now in KC he's managed just one SB win out of 4. I'm not a Chiefs fan but I generally respected the guy, he's turned choking into an art form though.

AZ Cardinals have a lot of potential but Kyler Murray seems to want out so I'm not really sure how that's going to go. I've mostly given up on Detroit being good in my lifetime but maybe the Jaguars can be? We'll see I suppose. Cleveland beefed up but they've got a very tough division with Bengals and Ravens.
  8. Last Sinner
    2022-05-17 04:48
    Last Sinner
    Yeah, I know what you mean about Summertime Rendering. I'd love to say some of the things staring them in the face from the episodes shown but that could lead to letting something from the manga in, so yeah, best I not go down that path.
  9. Last Sinner
    2022-05-16 11:28
    Last Sinner
    I've read about 1/3 of the manga. Will read some more in the near future. I can keep my thoughts genuine to how I felt at that point in the manga since the anime is effectively mirroring it exactly thus far.

I respect the Ravens as an organisation, they draft well and have a good system. When I was in my teens, that was when the Cowboys had that crazy run, so you inevitably knew about them. Regular access in this part of the world wasn't that good until around 10 years ago. While I'm not heavily affiliated with one particular team, I guess I look at Arizona somewhat since a friend of mine is very into them. Cincinnati becoming good in a flash made for fun viewing, hope Burrow does get a title in his career. Detroit under Campbell have an underdog/grinder appeal that makes me hope they finally stop being so utterly hapless. Would also like to see Buffalo finally win one for the painful legacy those four straight SB losses inflicted long term. As for the NFC East - the other teams are the accident waiting to happen, the derp organisation and the literal cesspool (in current times anyway). And the Eagles did draft Mailata, his success story has been intriguing. Incidentally the Ravens drafted an Aussie to play tackle, he might be able to follow in Mailata's path.

Nice to hear you liked Simoun too. It felt like it was made at the right time. Before things got...safer/simpler I guess? 2006 was my fave year for anime ever. Felt like that was the last year adult characters got that much love/focus. I think either way, Summertime Rendering would have an uphill battle this year. Dress Up Darling was always going to dominate January. Spy x Family has all the buzz for April, there's big name sequels in July, a great wall of shounen in October. But I learnt a long time ago that if people don't want to explore more of what's out there or only go for the low-hanging fruit, so be it. Their loss. Code Geass was the last time I was part of a major buzz while it was airing.

Political turmoil aplenty lately, hey? Federal election in Australia in 4 days. It has been some of the most vile stuff I've ever seen in the lead up. Can only wonder what the result will be.
  10. stray
    2022-05-16 09:21
    stray
    I'm more of a Cowboys hater but they've been mediocre for so long I'm starting to pity them. I'm still a Pats hater but Tom Brady has kind of grown on me since going to the Buccaneers, in part since I'm around the same age as he is. I've always had a soft spot for the Bucs and Ravens as well. I guess it helps he lost a Super Bowl my team in 2018. I'm not sure who I really like this season, there have been so many big moves. I'm optimistic my birds will make the playoffs, if for no other reason than the division is garbage... though I'm excited to see the new weapons.

Simoun is a classic, and I'm a big Bofuri fan, but I'm a manga reader so I've been avoiding the Summer Render topic somewhat this season. The theories are kind of cute though. Hopefully it gets out of Disney jail soon, its sad how many people are missing out.