AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Wild Goose

Notices

Conversation Between Wild Goose and monir
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. monir
    2014-02-11 06:31
    monir
    I read the Food thread also to marvel at people's amazing skill.
  2. Wild Goose
    2014-02-10 04:56
    Wild Goose
    Yeah, it is. I could talk long about how I make garlic bread (including accidentally ending up with a method similar to how Domino's does things), but I suspect that'd have better traction in a General Chat thread on food.

Ah, thanks for finding the thread! Now to necro it with gushing and commentary and other things - well, once I have some free time!
  3. monir
    2014-02-09 01:46
    monir
    A garlic-bread-maker, eh? Very interesting talent you have... Btw, there is a thread for Almost Human.
  4. Wild Goose
    2014-02-06 02:35
    Wild Goose
    I've been fine. The hiatus coincided with a new project at work, so I didn't really have much time to spend. That, and spending almost every weekend in December making garlic bread. (Let's just say there were a lot of dinners and potlucks, and I have a talent for taking store-brought baguettes and turning them into garlic bread. )

Also, the show has fallen to the same pitfalls as Fox shows - episodes aired out of order - so yeah, I'm not hopeful at all. But for now, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I know what you mean about TV though. I can't remember when was the last time I sat down and watched TV proper - nowadays I just download whatever series I'm following, load them into my iPad. Makes it handy whenever I'm caught in ridiculously long traffic jams.

Kinda thinking of starting an Almost Human thread in General Chat, but I have a feeling we'd be the only ones there.
  5. monir
    2014-02-06 00:23
    monir
    Hi there. I see you are back from your hiatus. How have you been?

Yeah, I've seen the first couple of episodes, but these days it's almost impossible to watch any TV. Aside from watching a few anime here and there and a bit of sports highlights now and then, I've hardly watched any TV. The impression that I've got about that show after watching the first two episodes was positive. I'm probably going to catch a few more later time permitting, but I agree with the sentiment that Fox might cancel the series before long for whatever inexplicable reason based on ratings and it's-not-stupid-enough. The last TV show I adored was Serenity, so obviously FOX canceled it. Network channel doesn't care about the quality of the content if it is failing to deliver the rating to drive the advertising. An expensive budget also doesn't help the cause, so yeah... you are probably right about Almost Human as I thought the first two episodes had movie like production, so I'm sure an axe is hanging above it the minute it fails to meet the number-requirement the executives live by.

Good to see you back!
  6. Wild Goose
    2014-02-05 20:35
    Wild Goose
    If you have not seen it yet, watch Almost Human. Fantastic sci-fi cop show starring Karl Urban. You could really think of it as a stealth prequel to Dredd, before the world went all to hell.

But yeah, it's a fantastic show... which means that FOX will probably cancel it sooner or later. -_-;;
  7. monir
    2013-11-25 12:13
    monir
    One particular scene that stuck to me was when he was calmly applying the first aid kit to the rookie as she kept staring away in awe. People like him are born to thrive in chaos.
  8. Wild Goose
    2013-11-25 12:04
    Wild Goose
    Well... I don't agree entirely, but I have seen worse, so I guess Asuki isn't all that bad? But yes, as a practical matter, a dictatorship (ranging in scope from benign to malevolent) is the only practical way forums can be run.

That said, if you're wanting to use analogies in future, I still think saying you guys are Judges is a bit more accurate than dictators!

And yes, I've seen the remake. (Many times.) For a film shot on a shoestring budget, I totally agree, it's one of the best all time action films, ever. I particularly liked Karl Urban's calm quiet portrayal of Dredd: "Ma-ma's not the law. I am the Law."

This is a man who doesn't need to shout or announce anything to the world, a man who knows himself and is secure in that knowledge and self confidence. (Reminds me of something I'd seen before: "Arrogance is when you can back it up, conceit is when you can't.") As one person on Spacebattles put it, for Anderson, the movie was a hellish baptism of fire into the life of a street judge that rocked her to her very core and changed the way she saw herself and the world around her.

For Dredd, it was a drug bust.
  9. monir
    2013-11-25 11:50
    monir
    The reason I've stuck with this forum for so many years is because the moderators always have been stellar at how they performed their duties. 99% of the forums, anime or otherwise, can use the model for moderators displayed in this forum.

Speaking of Dredd, have you seen the re-made version? I personally think it was probably one of the all time best action film to date.
  10. Wild Goose
    2013-11-24 20:07
    Wild Goose
    Was thinking about what you said a while back, about the mods being dictators and Asuki being run as a dictatorship (which I agree, is the only real way you can run a forum).

I'd submit though, that as the staff decide sentencing, are arbitrators of fact, and exponents of the forum rules, a better analogy would be Judges.

C'mon, you know you want to say it: "I am the Law."

(...okay, maybe repeated viewings of the Dredd film first thing in the morning isn't a good idea... )