AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 151 to 160 of 538
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-16 23:48
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm thinking you may find Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru relevant to your interests.
  2. Triple_R
    2014-10-16 18:06
    Triple_R
    Since you brought it up to Pocari Sweat... Trinity Seven Episode 2 was definitely lowbrow, but it still had a certain cleverness and creativity to it that keeps me engaged and interested. The MC is a bit more pervy than I'd like, but I've seen worse (it helps that I *think* his more pervy comments are at least half-joking, and self-aware in that sense).

I also think that Trinity Seven somehow manages to blend IS-style harem hijinks with serious plot, and make it all somehow work, and pretty seamlessly to. Better than IS itself did, imo.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-14 00:51
    0utf0xZer0
    Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Okay, you've already discovered this one for yourself. For me, this actually turned out to be a surprise: I expected it to be good, but based on past experience with Noitamina anime I didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did, be it in terms of the characters and setup, the artwork, or even the humour (I know you're not fond of the slapstick, but I personally enjoyed the way the misunderstanding in the park got way out of hand).

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu: The other recent surprise hit for me. Guy with a massive twintails fetish is given the power to transform into Tail Red, - essentially a twintailed sentai heroine - in order to battle aliens who are trying to steal the twintails attribute from earthling girl. I don't expect everyone to appreciate the show's straight up "ham and cheese" approach, but I enjoyed it.

Grisaia no Kajitsu episode 2: I felt this show had dark horse potential from the opener - despite it not doing much aside from establishing some weird, over the top moe quirks for the girls, hinting the characters have dark and sinister histories and showing some fanservice. Well, it's only the second episode and I'm already seeing improvement. The girls are feeling less like collections of tropes and more like actual characters, and the plot intrigues me much more than either Ushinawareta or Daitoshokan's plots do. (Caveat: I have trouble taking Makina seriously as a romantic interest for the same reason I have trouble taking Ayu seriously as one - personality is wayyyyyyy too childish. At least so far.)
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-12 13:22
    0utf0xZer0
    Not sure if you have the internet connection (or PC hardware, albeit it is a five year old game at this point), but just in case you need even more stuff to suck up your free time, EA is offering Dragon Age: Origins as a freebie via their Origin download service until the 14th. Thought I'd mention it as it's my favourite single player game of recent years.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-09 04:15
    0utf0xZer0
    I find comedies with oddball senses of humour a bit hit and miss, but the first episode of Gugure Kokkuri-san is a definite hit. One of the best things I've seen so far this season.

I'll second my brother's recommendation of Akatsuki no Yona although I'm not totally sold on it just yet.

I want to like Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai more than I did because it's a VN adaptation with cute art but the storyline is not impressing much so far.

Trinity Seven was okay, but I think Vanadis was better and I preferred last season's Blade Dance to both. Action-harem with tongue in cheek fanservice only really seems to really well for me if there's a couple I want to ship.

Favourites so far are Unlimited Blade Works and Kokkuri-san, with a B tier of Vanadia, Grisaia, Akatsuki no Yona and Sora no Method. I can't say I'm particularly impressed with this season so far (especially since I'm not expecting to like UBW quite as much as Fate Zero as I feel Fate/Zero had a broader and more interesting cast than FSN) though I have high hopes for Shirabako and Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-07 02:13
    0utf0xZer0
    Moon Phase was the show that really got me into anime and probably the most rose tinted glasses reliant of the five though when I rewatched it in 2009 (originally saw in 2005) it held up well. It's about a occult magazine photographer who goes on assignment to Germany and ends up having a 13 year old vampire girl follow him home and become his adopted sister of sorts. Sounds like a bit like an also run light novel adaptation, but for me it hit a lot of right notes, whether in terms of action (well, in the first half anyway), character development, relationship development or visual design. And it even tones down the lolicon vibe of the manga on which its based. It does suffer from a terrible anime original climax and watching the DVD version is more or less mandatory because the series had even bigger production problems than Bakemonogatari (Shaft used to be legendary for them), but I love it to pieces.

I agree with you about characters being important but have to qualify it. Characters like Ririchiyo, Azusa, Charlotte, Kuroneko and Matsuri rank extremely high on my favourite characters list, but there's a limit to how high the shows they appear in make it on my list and in some of those cases it's not that high. Second, while I like quite a few of SSY's major characters, they don't rank that high on my list, while the show ranks extremely high for its worldbuilding.

The other four though... Bakemonogatari had Hitagi and Nadeko in particular and maybe Tsubasa as well (though the excellent second season has me reconsidering some of my rankings), EF had Renji and Chihiro, Moon Phase had Kouhai and Hazuki, and Hyouka had... while, the entire four main cast. Hyouka, EF, and Moon Phase also have some of my favourite pairings (Oreki/Chitanda, Renji/Chihiro, and Kouhai/Hazuki) - Bake doesn't quite make the cut there because as much as I dig the date with Hitagi episode I don't get quite enough feels from it.

Basically, in no particular order:
    SSY: wordbuilding, engrossing storyline in second half
    Bakemonogatari: memorable dialogue, memorable characters, dramatic visuals
    Moon Phase: nostalgia, great balance of action, comedy and relationships, great use of color
    EF: Chihiro's storyline, the drama, dramatic visuals
    Hyouka: characters, subtlety, expressive animation

Since you've been wondering about the new season, I feel like it's too early to call many of the shows. Certainly Ushinawarete and Grisaia had so-so openers that nonetheless held potential, while Sora no Method had a decent opener if you like shows that (by appearances so far) center of friendships between girls but it's hard to tell where it's going.

Among the more comedic stuff I've watched so far, I'd rank Vanadis and Agami Brilliant Park above Supernatural Battles become Everyday and the comedies I'd reviewed earlier but I don't think any of them are brilliant (Vanadis is probably the most fun as it is action harem but its sensibilities feel a bit old school in a good way).

Loved the Unlimited Blade Works prologue but since I'm a Rin fan that was to be expected.
  7. Triple_R
    2014-10-04 18:29
    Triple_R
    Just so you know, I don't see any particular problem with your Top 5 list. I see some good quality in your list, and I'd be fine recommending any show on your Top 5 list that I've watched (I haven't seen Moon Phase yet).

One thing I've become more aware of over the past year or so is how very subjective taste in anime is, especially when it comes to personal favorites.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some anime shows display more effort and attention to detail than some other anime shows - think of shows with a lot of QUALITY animation, or lots of plot holes at a writing level - but that this "polish" distinction, shall we say, has minimal impact on what we like best. It can break ties, but that's about it.

And whatever else can be said about your list, it does show a fair bit of polish. Hyouka, ef, and SSY all have considerable polish. Bake has severe issues in later episodes, but in the early going, it also displayed considerable polish.

I also find, over time, that the most important thing to me is, in fact, characters. As much as I love good storytelling, a show most have at least one character that really resonates with me in order for it to be an all-time favorite (each of my Top 5 is like that - for Madoka Magica, its much of the cast and especially Sayaka; for El Hazard it's the main villain Jinnai; for Love Live!, its much of the cast and especially Honoka; for Nanoha and Haruhi its the titular characters).

I suspect, though am not 100% sure, that much the same is true for you, and that each of your Top 4/5 shows has at least one character that really resonates with you. And that sort of thing is a very subjective thing.

I tend to identify with very emotionally expressive (often to the point of theatrical), colorful, heroic-seeming, optimistic, and highly determined characters.

I get the impression that you identify with a subtle but charming, just slightly off (in a good way) eccentricity, in a quirky yet relateable character. That is something that SHAFT is really good at, so it's not surprising that SHAFT shows do so well in your Top 5.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-03 18:12
    0utf0xZer0
    Reviews:

Terraformers: I'm probably not the best person to ask to evaluate grim, crapsack world shows with old school sensibilities, but man did it ever feel like this show and its characters were trying to take themselves super seriously. It was like the anime equivalent of drinking a flat soda. IMO, of course.

Denki-gai no Honya-san: About the staff of a doujin shop in Akihabara, many of whom seem to be cute girls. Mostly pretty bad (a couple of the jokes felt kind of creepy just because of the kinds of doujins being referenced, but gets some points for the interactions that occur when one of the guys visits one of the girls - who, it turns out, is actually one of his favourite doujin authors - in order to help her meet her comiket deadline. She comes across as kind of Kuroneko would be like if she grew up into the kind of person who doesn't have much fun (aka frumpy and grumpy) and the "maybe they like each other" interactions are actually kind of cute. Can't see sticking with it unless it drastically improves or this season really stinks though.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken: About a women who doesn't get her otaku husband. I actually like the concept behind this but the dynamics between them kill it. She marries not because she likes him but just "to get married" basically - and he's so self absorbed and exhibits so many bad otaku traits I still feel sorry for her. Which might be intentional but it takes a lot of the fun out of the concept. Might keep watching for a bit because it's only a few minutes per episodes and I'm wondering if the character dynamics will improve over time.

Yeah, can't say I'm too impressed so far although I'm hopefully for the stuff still coming down the pipe.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-09-30 15:03
    0utf0xZer0
    So I tried to come up with a personal top ten list, but that seemed hard. But that was hard so I decided to try and do a personal top five. Which is still hard because I can't decided whether I liked Shin Sekai Yori enough to overcome by nostalgia for and tendency to fanboy about Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

But the four shows that easily made the cut were... three Shaft shows (Moon Phase, EF: A Tale of Memories and Bakemonogatari) and Hyouka.

I feel like there's a witty self-deprecating quip that needs to be made here but I can't quite place it.
  10. Triple_R
    2014-06-26 19:33
    Triple_R
    I've been enjoying Brynhildr all the way through - It's not one of my top tier shows of the Spring 2014 season, but it's been a solid keeper - But I do see what you're saying. Thinking back on it, I did take the show pretty seriously in its first half, but have found it harder to do so over the last few episodes.

The show has built up a pretty good narm charm identity, in my view, but it probably could have been more tense and gripping if it had wanted to be. It's kind of like a Hollywood movie that could have been A-list but sort of settles for being an above average B-list popcorn flick.