AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 241 to 250 of 538
  1. Triple_R
    2013-10-19 15:49
    Triple_R
    About my height... For a long time, I never bothered getting specific height and weight dimensions for anime characters I like (I still don't unless I'm really into the series and/or am writing it in a fanfic). But there was a conversation we once had about Kotomi Ichinose that was an eye-opener for me. I had long thought that Kotomi was tall, because that's how she appeared relative to most of the rest of the Clannad cast. But it was then that I learned through discussions with you that anime characters tend to be short relative to us westerners. And I guess that's because Asians in general don't have as many very tall people (i.e. over 6 feet) as what we have in the west.

It does feel strange sometimes to know that I would seem like a total giant to most of my favorite anime characters.

As for the B2s...

Spoiler for Coppelion discussion:
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-19 15:39
    0utf0xZer0
    Jun Maeda you bastard.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-19 11:54
    0utf0xZer0
    Spoiler for Coppellion episode 3:
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 20:17
    0utf0xZer0
    You could well be right and he's also sexist, it just hasn't been clearly demonstrated so far.

BTW, I didn't realize until recently how tall you actually are. You must think all the girls we discuss are tiny. (My dad is pretty tall but his height is one of the few aspects of his looks I didn't inherit.)
  5. Triple_R
    2013-10-18 20:01
    Triple_R
    Your take on Hikari is interesting, and you may well be right. At the very least, I agree that he is open to multiple interpretations.

Part of the reason why I'm inclined to think he's a little bit sexist is because the xenophobia is already clearly there. And it's been my experience in life that if a person has one type of prejudice, it's likely they'll hold other types of prejudice as well.

My first comment on Hikari right after watching Episode 3 was that Okada is going full Archie Bunker with him, which admittedly was colorful exaggeration on my part. But I really am afraid that he's coming close to crossing the line from being on the road to a good redemption story to being someone that many people might find incredibly hard to forgive.

I think Okada is trying very hard to write a compelling personal redemption story with Hikari, and for that type of story it admittedly does help if the "destined to be redeemed" character stats out at a pretty low point. After Episode 2, I felt that Okada had completely nailed it with Hikari. After Episode 3, I'm wavering between completely nailed it and "she went a bit too far". Only time will tell, of course.
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 19:51
    0utf0xZer0
    Poster this to Pocari's wall, thought you might be interested:

Quote:
    I think the debate rages because Hikari's actions actually do support multiple interpretations. Personally, I'm inclined to interpret him as a rough around the edges xenophobe with a tendency to run roughshod over people who give them the chance to - and the people who do are mostly female. The result makes him come across as a sexist prick and I kind of wish someone would call him out over the browbeating and general boorishness, but I'm not convinced he's truly sexist - ie. targeting the girls because they're girls. He just wouldn't necessarily act the same to a guy because they wouldn't stand for his shit - unless they're like the guy his sister likes and let him walk all over them. Yeah, he did exclude the girls from the discussion of beating up the one guy, but I think that's more a matter of him knowing they wouldn't side with him.

Why were we complaining about one dimensional characters again?
  7. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 19:33
    0utf0xZer0
    Hozuki and Chinami (+ Yaya for her design) left the strongest impressions on me too so I'm not surprised they're your picks here. I don't here characters described as "effervescent" very often though it fits Chinami pretty well. Muriel and Mirai left fairly strong impressions on me too but not so much because they stood out as being particularly tiny or cute: I tend to be strongly sympathetic to timid girls.

(As someone who tries to use them in stories, I have to say writing timid girls who leave a strong impression is actually rather difficult, it's probably why a decent number of them in anime end up being a bit bland. Though at the very least I'd submit that EF's Chihiro, K-On's Mio and Azusa, and Kotomi are classics.)

Anyway "petite girls everywhere" has kind of been a running gag for me this season... I noted Chinami and Ai as being particularly cute before the season started, and then they piled on characters like Hozuki, Yaya and Komari as well.
  8. Triple_R
    2013-10-18 18:30
    Triple_R
    I'm absolutely loving Hozuki. Best kid character I've seen in anime in awhile. It's like someone took the best aspects of a Disney kid character and the best aspects of the anime loli, and threw them altogether to create something wondrous that has all the strengths of both character types but almost none of their weaknesses. Wonderful character!

I also agree with you on Yaya's character design, which helps to explain why I'm able to roll with her clingy personality.

Chinami is pretty fun. She has this effervescent quality to her. Combine that with her thoughtfulness and eagerness to please, and she makes a very engaging character.

I don't have a strong opinion yet on the other girls on your list, but I could see some of them growing on me over time.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 03:12
    0utf0xZer0
    That being said... I could resist putting together a list of who the directors and lead writers are on various KyoAni shows, because I think it might be useful:

Kigami Yoshiji (with self): Munto

Takemoto Yasuhiro:
    With Gatou Shouji (the guy who wrote the FMP novels): Fumoffu, TSR, Hyouka
    With Machida Touko: Lucky Star
    +Haruhi (see notes)

Ishihara Tatsura:
    With Shimo Fumihiko: Air, Kanon, Clannad
    With Hanada Jukki: Chuunibyou, Nichijou
    +Haruhi (see notes)

Yamada Naoko
    With Yoshida Reiko: K-On , Tamako Market

Utsumi Hiroko:
    With Yokotani Masahiro: Free!

Ishidate Taichi
    With Hanada Jukki: Kyoukai no Kanata

Haruhi:
    S1: Ichihara Tatsura
    S2/Disappearance: Takemoto Yasuhiro with Ishihara as Chief Director

This makes me quite curious as to what the "old guard" will work on next.
    I'd avoid making too much of Hanada being lead writer for Chuunibyou, Nichijou, and Kanata no Kyoukai - because he also was lead writer for the Sola and Steins;Gate animes.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 01:50
    0utf0xZer0
    The LN/anime comparisons are fair, just unfortunately timed as they exasperate what was already annoying me about the discussion.

Edit: BTW, at this point, I'd like to wrap up my involvement with this discussion rather quickly. I'm hitting the point in the semester where I'm needing to devote more time to studies and I'm finding all this too tiring (though I still want your opinion on the petite list LOL).