AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 241 to 250 of 542
  1. Triple_R
    2013-10-21 21:15
    Triple_R
    Spoiler for Key girl discussion:
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-21 01:52
    0utf0xZer0
    Spoiler for Re: Makoto - Fuko - Komari comparison:
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-19 16:42
    0utf0xZer0
    No spoilers, just a moving enough episode I couldn't resists... though Reck tells me that this this particular arc wasn't written by Maeda.

I did have some idea how short they were just because Vancouver has one of the largest east asian communities outside Asia itself. I do occassionally seel tall asians, but its rare and when it happens they tend to be very thin for their height.

You next to some anime girls would probably end up looking something like Eguchi Tasuya (6'2)next to Yuuki Aoi (4'9) at some Gosick events. Note Aoi is wearing boots with a fairly pronounced heel here:
    http://hashihime.blogspot.ca/2011/04...ami-saori.html
    I'm not as familiar with guy's heights in anime though I know Yuuichi is 5'10 and Tomoya is 5'9. Koyomi in Bakemonogatari is actually only 5'5 (same as Hitagi).

(Edit: since we're on the topic of Kurugaya's arc... she 5'7, which is actually one of the taller bishoujo anime characters I can think of. The tallest would be Motoko from Love Hina who is 5'9.)
  4. Triple_R
    2013-10-19 15:51
    Triple_R
    What about Jun Maeda? If it relates to Little Busters! Refrain Episode 3, please put it in spoiler space, as I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
  5. Triple_R
    2013-10-19 15:49
    Triple_R
    About my height... For a long time, I never bothered getting specific height and weight dimensions for anime characters I like (I still don't unless I'm really into the series and/or am writing it in a fanfic). But there was a conversation we once had about Kotomi Ichinose that was an eye-opener for me. I had long thought that Kotomi was tall, because that's how she appeared relative to most of the rest of the Clannad cast. But it was then that I learned through discussions with you that anime characters tend to be short relative to us westerners. And I guess that's because Asians in general don't have as many very tall people (i.e. over 6 feet) as what we have in the west.

It does feel strange sometimes to know that I would seem like a total giant to most of my favorite anime characters.

As for the B2s...

Spoiler for Coppelion discussion:
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-19 15:39
    0utf0xZer0
    Jun Maeda you bastard.
  7. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-19 11:54
    0utf0xZer0
    Spoiler for Coppellion episode 3:
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 20:17
    0utf0xZer0
    You could well be right and he's also sexist, it just hasn't been clearly demonstrated so far.

BTW, I didn't realize until recently how tall you actually are. You must think all the girls we discuss are tiny. (My dad is pretty tall but his height is one of the few aspects of his looks I didn't inherit.)
  9. Triple_R
    2013-10-18 20:01
    Triple_R
    Your take on Hikari is interesting, and you may well be right. At the very least, I agree that he is open to multiple interpretations.

Part of the reason why I'm inclined to think he's a little bit sexist is because the xenophobia is already clearly there. And it's been my experience in life that if a person has one type of prejudice, it's likely they'll hold other types of prejudice as well.

My first comment on Hikari right after watching Episode 3 was that Okada is going full Archie Bunker with him, which admittedly was colorful exaggeration on my part. But I really am afraid that he's coming close to crossing the line from being on the road to a good redemption story to being someone that many people might find incredibly hard to forgive.

I think Okada is trying very hard to write a compelling personal redemption story with Hikari, and for that type of story it admittedly does help if the "destined to be redeemed" character stats out at a pretty low point. After Episode 2, I felt that Okada had completely nailed it with Hikari. After Episode 3, I'm wavering between completely nailed it and "she went a bit too far". Only time will tell, of course.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2013-10-18 19:51
    0utf0xZer0
    Poster this to Pocari's wall, thought you might be interested:

Quote:
    I think the debate rages because Hikari's actions actually do support multiple interpretations. Personally, I'm inclined to interpret him as a rough around the edges xenophobe with a tendency to run roughshod over people who give them the chance to - and the people who do are mostly female. The result makes him come across as a sexist prick and I kind of wish someone would call him out over the browbeating and general boorishness, but I'm not convinced he's truly sexist - ie. targeting the girls because they're girls. He just wouldn't necessarily act the same to a guy because they wouldn't stand for his shit - unless they're like the guy his sister likes and let him walk all over them. Yeah, he did exclude the girls from the discussion of beating up the one guy, but I think that's more a matter of him knowing they wouldn't side with him.

Why were we complaining about one dimensional characters again?