Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Nervous Venus

Notices

Conversation Between Nervous Venus and Amirali
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 76
  1. Nervous Venus
    2010-06-23 15:45
    Nervous Venus
    There's nothing wrong with becoming a potato farmer. We need french fries after all.
    (On a serious note, I should congratulate you on your admission to the university.)
  2. Amirali
    2010-06-22 04:20
    Amirali
    "THE States" would be the United Inter Galactic Federation of States against the Borg. Ahem. I'm referring to the vanilla, plain old United States of America. Got into CS Ph.D programs at Uni of Utah, Duke, Vanderbilt and Rutgers - chose the first option. Let's hope I make full use of the opportunity ahead. And that I don't end up on a potato farm if the pressure gets to me. (If the pressure does get to me, I should do something cool, like becoming a career surfer.)
  3. Nervous Venus
    2010-06-21 22:35
    Nervous Venus
    Wow, it's been a while, Amirali. Right now, I'm biting my fingernails over the whole war on scanlations bit going on around the scanlation communities. Guess it's time to throw in the towel. We knew it was coming.

Glad to know you'll be in the States.

Wait. Which "states" are we talking about here? THE States?!
  4. Amirali
    2010-05-26 05:18
    Amirali
    Nervous Venus. A pleasure to see you still around these parts. How is the world treating thee? I'm heading for the grand old states for grad school in a few months. A long six years ahead, I anticipate.
  5. Amirali
    2009-09-23 02:04
    Amirali
    A very very belated happy birth day wish, Nervous Venus. I'm not around here much anymore - new jobs (part-time web developer + wonky math researcher playing around with triangles and circles) and grad school applications consume existence. But thought I'd make a round here, appreciating all the fun people and discussions I had - I remember we discussed movies at one point, and the pointlessness of generalizations. Good times . Take care, yo.
  6. Amirali
    2008-10-17 22:54
    Amirali
    We want to talk about it, but we're giving you fair warning that there's much to be said

"We"? Who are these mysterious we? My curiosity is piqued. It's a discussion I'm interested in, especially to hear what prejudices could be held against straight people :s. I honestly don't know.
  7. Nervous Venus
    2008-10-17 15:44
    Nervous Venus
    Hmm......I take it this isn't a good time to talk about stereotypes then.

It's just a figure of speech, Amir. Not meant to be taken seriously. It's sort of like " Don't get me started..." We want to talk about it, but we're giving you fair warning that there's much to be said
  8. Amirali
    2008-10-17 02:59
    Amirali
    What are you and scarlett doing with identical avatars? I thought she had PM'ed me, but then after replying, I realized it was really you. ;/

Our avatars are similar, but not quite identical. It was a twin day lark, but the avie suits my sleepiness to a tee. So I'll probably keep it a while.

Don't remind me of stereotypes.

Hmm......I take it this isn't a good time to talk about stereotypes then. Since I plan to emigrate to the West one day soon, I am rather curious though.In my country, a gay person could (technically) be thrown in prison or discriminated against in the workplace. I've only ever met one openly gay person in my life, either because there aren't any here or because of the social stigma. Anyway, sorry for rambling on a topic you've had a surfeit of recently.
    And I've never really thought on what prejudices gays might have against straight people. Interesting.
  9. Nervous Venus
    2008-10-17 02:25
    Nervous Venus
    We're already stirring up enough trouble with the "gay marriage" issue in California. Don't remind me of stereotypes. Some of my friends got into it the other day: gays vs. straights, both sides not realizing their stereotypes and prejudices against the other. I told all of them to "shove it" in more ways than one. Well, what I actually said was, " I care more about the starving children in Africa than all you idiots arguing over here." And then I said, " Shove it."

What are you and scarlett doing with identical avatars? I thought she had PM'ed me, but then after replying, I realized it was really you. ;/
  10. Amirali
    2008-10-16 16:50
    Amirali
    Using "pejorative" wouldn't make you sound like a freak. It would make you sound like a lawyer. Though, in my eyes, I can't seem to see the difference......

. That's a funny lawyer joke. Coming back to our never-ending debate about stereotypes, that might not draw as many chuckles in a room full of lawyers. (Wouldn't draw too many hisses and boos either, of course.) I'm just sayin' .