AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 14 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60741)

Terrestrial Dream 2008-01-18 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papaya (Post 1349480)
If you haven't noticed, animation was subpar this entire episode.
And I guess if you don't care about this, you won't care if they continue to do this and add in some more "minor" mistakes.

Maybe in the next episode, they'll forget to draw in Setsuna's head like they did with Naruto.

To be honest I really didn't noticed anything, I noticed the some of the error after you mentioned it and to be honest those error really didn't make the episode worse or anything. I can't really comment on how bad Naruto animation is as I stopped watching the anime and only read the manga. If the animation so crappy(as in GSD crappy) that I noticed right away then I might actually give a damn, but from this episode the animation was fine for me. So far I really thought 00 animations were great.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-18 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papaya (Post 1349435)
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/...9m_900269b.jpg

Very poor perspective problems in this scene.

1. Setsuna's relative size to Louise is completely off.
2. Even though Setsuna is standing where the car was, he's MASSIVE in comparison to it.
3. Louise looks like she grew too between cuts.

It still looks perfectly in proportion to me. Setsuna went to the background, Louise came up to the foreground and they meet halfway and match heights for the most part. Setsuna is also a head above the car, which is normal.

As for the animation mistake that did happen. It's that Christina's reflection shouldn't be possible where she's resting on the tube. Water can't reflect something that is on the other side of another object.

I guess if you go by Papaya though that makes the whole episode a catastrophe animation wise.:rolleyes: Maybe the episode needed more Orange.

FireChick 2008-01-18 16:19

I just finished watching this on CrunchyRoll and...OH MY GOD!!! The scene where that lady (who looks like Kyouya from Ouran) punched Patrick was sooooo FUNNY!!! I was cracking up SO bad I was crying!!! You go girl! You PWNED him good!!:D:heh:

Chase 2008-01-18 16:31

The animation was fine, geez its easy too point out a couple of scenes in just about every animated series and say that part is not well done but most of the episode was fine to me. A couple of scenes dont make an entire episode sub par animation wise.

wingdarkness 2008-01-18 17:17

^Yeah I have no idea what Papaya is talking about...Watching the HD RAW was the best experience of watching anime I had all last week...

Tangerine 2008-01-18 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papaya (Post 1349450)
Setsuna is at Lockon's height in the second picture. He's not supposed to be THAT much taller than a car.

Louise has moved forward, but that doesn't explain why she's at Lockon's height either.

It's not possible that Setsuna's further back than Louise. Just draw a line under Setsuna's feet, and draw a line under Louise's. He's clearly more in the foreground, yet is inexplicably drawn at the exact same proportion as Louise. This isn't a negligible difference either, considering the camera angle is only slightly pointing downwards towards the ground, so distance is a lot more than it looks.

Louise 1,54 cm
Setsuna 1,62 cm
Saji 1,68 cm
It still looks perfectly in proportion to me.

One-point perspective (Conic perspective)

Papaya 2008-01-18 19:09

Is there a supposed to be a picture there? I don't see any >.>

LoweGear 2008-01-18 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papaya (Post 1349480)
If you haven't noticed, animation was subpar this entire episode.
And I guess if you don't care about this, you won't care if they continue to do this and add in some more "minor" mistakes.

Maybe in the next episode, they'll forget to draw in Setsuna's head like they did with Naruto.

There's one thing to criticise blatantly obvious animation flubs, errors and shortcuts, like recycled stock footage (GS/GSD), OVERLY off proportions (like the melon shaped Gundam head in MSG), and lazy animation (panning motion), and then there's nitpicking, which seems to be the case here.

We're talking about a scene here that most people (asides from yourself) would fail to notice, nor would care about in the first place, because the scene in question doesn't really contribute to plot or story as a whole. If the specific flub somehow contributes to an error in the plot, then that's a different matter. As it is though, pointing out this minor and insignificant error is nothing more than pure nitpicking.

Gundam 00 may not be on the same animation bar as KyoAni or Production IG or Bones, but on the other hand it is the best looking Gundam TV series ever, rivalling even the OVA's in terms of quality, and after seeing them all, frankly I'm thankful they're taking more care with 00 than with previous titles.

Papaya 2008-01-18 21:08

How am I nitpicking? I made a two sentence comment on the quality of this episode compared to previous episodes, then people start QQing, so I had to explain.

All I'm saying is that this episode was subpar compared to the rest, and that if it gets worse, people will start noticing.

Pandalax 2008-01-18 21:34

You said the entire episode was EXTREMELY poorly animated, which is completely bogus. Although the animation of this episode was not as good as the previous one, it was still good (enough). Nobody else sees anything wrong with the scene that you pointed out. If anything, you are being overcritical. This is a set-up episode, of course the animation team wouldn't burn all their budget animating a set-up episode.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-18 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 1349872)

Gundam 00 may not be on the same animation bar as KyoAni or Production IG or Bones, but on the other hand it is the best looking Gundam TV series ever, rivalling even the OVA's in terms of quality, and after seeing them all, frankly I'm thankful they're taking more care with 00 than with previous titles.

I think it's on the same level during the more battle heavy episodes. Then again I don't find Production I.G's stuff looks good at all, but there are some scenes that rival those in Clannad and Darker Than Black easily. To me Kyoto Animation, Sunrise and Bones are all on about the same level, surpassed only by Studio Nue in Macross Frontier, all four of which have had there share of flubs. Eyeless Max in the original Macross, Mono-Eye Konata and Bones designs fluctuating the odd time, are all minor mistakes that happen. It seems though that Papaya is picking on Gundam 00 here. I severely doubt they are going to forget to draw Setsuna's head or something, that's far to amateur for a studio that's been in the business this long and we are about 20 level downs in quality away from such a thing happening. What will occasionally happen is an oversight like the Christina floater tube scene that most people won't notice.

TUJS 2008-01-18 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1349516)
As for the animation mistake that did happen. It's that Christina's reflection shouldn't be possible where she's resting on the tube. Water can't reflect something that is on the other side of another object.

Physics says you don't know what you're talking about.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9...sicshp7.th.jpg

Disclaimer: I knocked this out in a minute with MS paint, the angles are not correct but that doesn't change anything. If they were perfect they would show the same thing.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2008-01-18 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUJS (Post 1349969)

Disclaimer: I knocked this out in a minute with MS paint, the angles are not correct but that doesn't change anything. If they were perfect they would show the same thing.

FINALLY!

Thanks, for doing this so I don't have to get off my lazy ass and do it myself. There was nothing wrong with the reflections. I don't know where all the complaint came from; you can test the reflections very easily by placing a similarly-shaped object on a horizontal mirror.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-18 22:18

Quote:

Now I almost want to try simulating this myself to settle it once in for all. Too bad it isn't summer here. Though I would feel kind of relieved if it was true, because that would put to rest the one mistake I thought I'd finally spotted in Gundam 00's squeaky clean animation record.

Anh_Minh 2008-01-19 14:25

Quote:

No, they wouldn't. As it is, the red rectangle's reflection would show above the black one's, which would be wrong.

I agree that, if the red rectangle is high enough, parts of it will be reflected, though.

edit: here's what I mean:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1...gurerp2.th.gif

TUJS 2008-01-19 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anh_Minh (Post 1351025)
No, they wouldn't. As it is, the red rectangle's reflection would show above the black one's, which would be wrong.

I agree that, if the red rectangle is high enough, parts of it will be reflected, though.

edit: here's what I mean:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1...gurerp2.th.gif

Whoops. Now I feel slightly sheepish for not catching that when I drew it. Oh well, the point still stands.

Terra 2008-01-19 18:34

I did point that out a few pages back, but with words and not pictures which is probably why it got ignored :rolleyes:

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2008-01-19 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anh_Minh (Post 1351025)

If the Black block is low enough, part of it would be reflected too. And in that case, it IS low enough, since that floating platform is designed to be flat.

Anh_Minh 2008-01-20 05:13

Well, yes, I meant high-enough-when-compared-to-the-height-of-the-black-rectangle (and its position on it), which means the same thing as the black rectangle being low-enough-compared-to-the-height-of-the-red-rectangle. :p It's all relative.

Something does feel off about the anime picture - I think we see to much of the reflection, that it's too far forward. But telling if it really is so would take more effort than I'm willing to give the matter. And it is really nitpicking. If I'm going to pick nits about this ep, I'd rather... Uh, actually, I got nothing.

Note: even if the black rectangle was perfectly flat (which the floating mattress isn't), it wouldn't guarantee we could see the red rectangle's reflection.

DJ_RockmanX 2008-01-20 22:08

Menclave is back with their release of 14.