AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fan Creations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EMDAS, AnimeSuki's Monthly Writing Competition (Rules/FAQ/General Discussion) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=101495)

felix 2011-10-25 17:49

It's not just you, but it's sort of "what you're reading it for" type of thing. Some people see events as the story, some see character development as the story, some see relationships as the story, other see the backgrounds, history and well... "lore" as the story.

:) Just my take on it.

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-25 17:55

And that's a perfectly fair point. The problem is that general readers aren't patient enough to sit around and read several novellas before voting.:heh: There's also the post-reading consideration to factor in, since a good reader will want to comprehend the entire message by going through it several times. That's just so much more difficult to do when there's several entries exceeding the current limit.

Just talking from my own personal experiences here. :D

felix 2011-10-26 02:29

Uhm... I don't think you can say "people won't read too much" and "people will read it several times" in the same sentence Mario. :p

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-26 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3825591)
Uhm... I don't think you can say "people won't read too much" and "people will read it several times" in the same sentence Mario. :p

Uhm... I don't think you can make stuff up, felix. :P

If you read it again, I said the "general" readers won't want to read too much, but "good" readers will want to. I guess I shouldn't have written it that way because it kind of implies that the general public aren't good readers, but I meant that for the people who do, it'd be tougher.

Suomi 2011-11-19 19:23

um...is there any way we could allow italics?
I've always used them to designate charactter thoughts, feelings, inner conflict, vs actual events.
ex:
must get away, must get away
Then everything went black.

Also, my current entry uses it to designate mind-mind communication between characters as well as inner thoughts, though I suppose I could find a way to change it >.>

I don't see how italics would interfere with anything or have a negative effect on the entry(ies), and I think it would help in some cases, including my current entry, with understanding. I don't see how any harm could come from the use of it, unless it is overused--which I don't think it would be in most entries and is not in mine, considering both the shortness and the fact that it is interspersed throughout the entry.

Personally, I think it makes sense. If you think otherwise, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and reasoning.
:)

Hiroi Sekai 2011-11-19 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusore (Post 3864811)
um...is there any way we could allow italics?
I've always used them to designate charactter thoughts, feelings, inner conflict, vs actual events.
ex:
must get away, must get away
Then everything went black.

Also, my current entry uses it to designate mind-mind communication between characters as well as inner thoughts, though I suppose I could find a way to change it >.>

I don't see how italics would interfere with anything or have a negative effect on the entry(ies), and I think it would help in some cases, including my current entry, with understanding. I don't see how any harm could come from the use of it, unless it is overused--which I don't think it would be in most entries and is not in mine, considering both the shortness and the fact that it is interspersed throughout the entry.

Personally, I think it makes sense. If you think otherwise, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and reasoning.
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by papermario13689
That being said, I don't see any major problem with adding the use of italics. Since we're keeping it to 1500 words. there can't be too many italics used anyways. We probably shouldn't shuffle the restrictions/word count around, but I do like the idea of mixing it up here and there. We may have special themes with surprises every so often.

I had mentioned this a page back, but with a different proposal arising I forgot to consider it again. I don't see much trouble with allowing it, so I'll change that.

Suomi 2011-11-19 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papermario13689 (Post 3864816)
I had mentioned this a page back, but with a different proposal arising I forgot to consider it again. I don't see much trouble with allowing it, so I'll change that.

Right. I thought there had been some discussion but checked the first page's rules to double check if it had been changed.

Thanks! Looking forward to reading the entries for this month's contest as well as submitting mine, which has been a joy to write.

Hiroi Sekai 2011-11-19 19:37

Thanks for bringing it up, I would have forgotten about it otherwise. Good to hear you've got an entry for this month!;)

Revelation 2011-11-22 01:15

I just have a question regarding the deadline for future reference, is it over when the timer ends or when the forum time (GMT) officially reaches the next day?

(I suppose that defeats the purpose of the timer, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.)

Hiroi Sekai 2011-11-22 01:19

The timer's just so everyone can tune into my timezone, since I'm the one making the new threads and whatnot.:heh:

Once that timer expires, a voting thread will be soon created and no more entries can be submitted, that's all.

Revelation 2011-11-22 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papermario13689 (Post 3868211)
The timer's just so everyone can tune into my timezone, since I'm the one making the new threads and whatnot.:heh:

Once that timer expires, a voting thread will be soon created and no more entries can be submitted, that's all.

I figured that much, thanks for clearing it up since our timezone is laggy. :)

milan kyuubi 2011-12-31 10:18

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

Here is my New Years gift to the EMDAS community, the writers here are simple amazing :D

Two new banners, hope everyone likes them :)

papermario13689 If you like them, you can use them :)

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/7762/emdas1.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6130/emdas2.jpg

Suomi 2011-12-31 19:23

They're lovely :) thank you for doing what I never got around to...>_>

Hiroi Sekai 2012-01-01 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by milan kyuubi (Post 3926619)
Happy Holidays everyone! :)

Here is my New Years gift to the EMDAS community, the writers here are simple amazing :D

Two new banners, hope everyone likes them :)

papermario13689 If you like them, you can use them :)

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/7762/emdas1.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6130/emdas2.jpg

Happy New Year! Thanks for these awesome banners; I'll split them up between the discussion and the entry threads!