AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Does the Tsundere personality exist in the real world? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93308)

Blazing CobaltX 2011-08-12 15:51

I am a tsundere. ^^'

ookamigirl 2011-08-15 10:31

Sure it exists in the real world. I'm tsundere ^^

articuzwolf 2011-08-15 20:52

it exist and it's definitely annoying...:(

DonQuigleone 2011-08-15 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookamigirl (Post 3729304)
Sure it exists in the real world. I'm tsundere ^^

"I'm not telling you that because I like you or anything ..."

JPZ 2011-08-15 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 3729938)

oh man lol :p

HasuMasu 2011-08-16 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 3729938)

D-d-don't get the wrong idea, I don't care if you want to be dere-dere to someone else...

...baka...

Pink Cow 2011-08-16 05:47

My friend describes me as tsundere. So it probably does exist in the world, only not as extreme as it's depicted in anime. Lol

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-08-21 03:37

I say NO.

Only delusional fans think they do.

HasuMasu 2011-08-21 04:53

^ Perhaps you haven't met one...

Or perhaps you think that a Tsundere in real life would be the same as one in anime?

That Sir, is not the case, although I don't blame you, they're hard to come by, or so I heard. :heh:

I suppose it just so happens that every girl that's been interested in me was a Tsundere one way or another. :cool:

And if you're wondering, yes, I am a type B. :D

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-08-21 05:23

tsundere kuudere yandere etc.. are exaggerated versions of human personalities that's why a real life tsundere doesn't exist.

maybe the type b's or c's of it does exist. but as far as i know te tsunderes in anime aren't real. unless they have some attitude or mental problems.

HasuMasu 2011-08-21 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3736849)
tsundere kuudere yandere etc.. are exaggerated versions of human personalities that's why a real life tsundere doesn't exist.

maybe the type b's or c's of it does exist. but as far as i know te tsunderes in anime aren't real. unless they have some attitude or mental problems.

I think it goes without saying that it should be exaggerated, it is anime after all. :)

I also think it would be a mistake to think that this thread is referring to Tsunderes as you see them in anime.

Naturally, this thread is referring to a mellowed down version of what people see in anime. :D

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-08-21 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective-san (Post 3736855)
Naturally, this thread is referring to a mellowed down version of what people see in anime. :D

oh. i see. maybe mellowed down tsunderes do exist then?

HasuMasu 2011-08-21 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3736859)
oh. i see. maybe mellowed down tsunderes do exist then?

I've been lucky/unlucky enough to have encountered a lot. :D

Squiggy 2011-08-21 08:51

'Real' tsundere are a pain in the membrane

Vexx 2011-08-21 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3736849)

Be careful where you go with that notion... I'm married to one that fits the bill. Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside.

Seriously, using that purist notion pretty much means that you can't count *any* personality type in anime or any other fiction as being a representation of real life. All entertainment is a short-hand sketch of reality.

erneiz_hyde 2011-08-21 16:40

I'd say tsundere is the default personality of most real-girls. Only their appeals are a lot less than the ones in 2D.

Danderes, kuuderes, yanderes, I think they all also exist IRL, though not like how they appear in anime and manga.

Don't get me wrong, I like girls. Just that it would be unfair for them to be compared to the perfect conjuration of a man's wishful imagination.

Vexx 2011-08-21 22:03

(shrug) anime, like any other storytelling, has characters and relationships that are *simplified* representations of real life attributes.

Nintendo Maniac 64 2011-08-22 13:13

But simplified can still be more extreme, it's just not as deep.

YuriEcchiGirl 2011-08-22 16:57

I believe that certain aspects and/or traits/styles of tsundere exist in every single one of us :)

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-08-29 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3737259)
Be careful where you go with that notion... I'm married to one that fits the bill. Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside.

Seriously, using that purist notion pretty much means that you can't count *any* personality type in anime or any other fiction as being a representation of real life. All entertainment is a short-hand sketch of reality.

really???? hmmm...i'm just having a problem believing that. tell me about what she does that made you think she's an anime-like tsundere. I'll listen.

Vexx 2011-08-29 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3746198)
really???? hmmm...i'm just having a problem believing that. tell me about what she does that made you think she's an anime-like tsundere. I'll listen.

You know.. this thread isn't *that* long not to have read a page or two back or even the whole thread to follow the conversation ...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...29#post3663029

She is almost a dead ringer personality-wise to the Lucky*Star Kagami type of tsundere. As you can see from the pics, she's also "loli-sized" (149cm, 43kg).

DonQuigleone 2011-08-29 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3746517)
You know.. this thread isn't *that* long not to have read a page or two back or even the whole thread to follow the conversation ...

She is almost a dead ringer personality-wise to the Lucky*Star Kagami type of tsundere. As you can see from the pics, she's also "loli-sized" (149cm, 43kg).

Seems more like Komori Kiri to me.

Vexx 2011-08-29 12:18

Heh... :) I will admit that the pic is of her on her "couch of decompression" after she comes home from a day of NOT killing people who need it.

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-09-01 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3746517)

=D i didn't read earlier post so didn't see that. Hmmm..She's not an extreme tsundere I say. she's in the B or C type. anyway, your wife seems like a japanese. LOL. I have a wife too. Her name's Namie. NAMIE Amuro. LOL. JK. just dreaming..

Vexx 2011-09-01 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3751874)
=D i didn't read earlier post so didn't see that. Hmmm..She's not an extreme tsundere I say. she's in the B or C type. anyway, your wife seems like a japanese. LOL. I have a wife too. Her name's Namie. NAMIE Amuro. LOL. JK. just dreaming..

Well, no... An "extreme tsundere" is the cartoon hyperbolic version of what a real life tsundere would be. And yes, she's japanese. Walks around with a cloud of skulls, lightning bolts, and candy canes hovering over her head.

Seriously, much of my amusement with characters like Taiga (Toradora), Kagami (LuckyStar), Zakuro (Otome Youkai Zakuro), Motoko (Love Hina), and others comes from the "recognition shock" factor.

Including tsundere, all character archetypes are very simplified versions of real life personalities - its the nature of storytelling.

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-09-02 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3751893)
Well, no... An "extreme tsundere" is the cartoon hyperbolic version of what a real life tsundere would be. And yes, she's japanese. Walks around with a cloud of skulls, lightning bolts, and candy canes hovering over her head.

Including tsundere, all character archetypes are very simplified versions of real life personalities - its the nature of storytelling.

hmm. How anime portrays these archtypes doesn't exist. that's how i see it.
0__0 not to sound anything rude, but she seems to be really eccentric?? eh?

Vexx 2011-09-02 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3751905)
hmm. How anime portrays these archtypes doesn't exist. that's how i see it.
0__0 not to sound anything rude, but she seems to be really eccentric?? eh?

Its like saying someone you know is "perky" ... they're really a lot more complicated but if they were being represented in a cartoon or tv show --- their personality would be compressed to just "perky", a shorthand sketch of the person.

Yeah, I'd have to say she's somewhat eccentric (like I am).

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2011-09-02 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3751923)
Its like saying someone you know is "perky" ... they're really a lot more complicated but if they were being represented in a cartoon or tv show --- their personality would be compressed to just "perky", a shorthand sketch of the person.

Yeah, I'd have to say she's somewhat eccentric (like I am).

they don't have two faces or more. human personalities are complex. sometimes you're like this and then the moment after that you're like that. And then suddenly you're a bit different again. you know what i mean? uggh. i can't explain.

LOL. what makes you eccentric then?

Vexx 2011-09-02 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu (Post 3751952)
they don't have two faces or more. human personalities are complex. sometimes you're like this and then the moment after that you're like that. And then suddenly you're a bit different again. you know what i mean? uggh. i can't explain.

You're sort of saying what I'm saying - real people are more complex. But they have *highlights* to their personality. A shorthand sketch of them would only include those highlights - that's what an anime, or a manga --- or a film, book, play does. It reduces a complex personality to its highlights so that the time to tell the story is manageable. Its up to you to fill in the details that makes them seem alive. A tsundere (crunchy outside, creamy inside ... or "shields up ---> "shields down") personality is a rough sketch of a real life personality.

If one is being utterly rigid about it, then any written description of a real person is false because it "doesn't exist in the real world". If I call wife a "tsundere", it means that her usual personality is "rawr rawr growl" but she can also "dere dere" when its just me. Seriously, if you've watched LuckyStar's Kagami over the life of the series you've pretty much met my wife - school habits, sarcasm, flaming rawr, sweet when she doesn't think anyone is watching... even the ponytail or twintails. Her cousin is a friend of mine and he was astounded when we started dating because all he ever saw was her "tsun" mode (him: "Are you out of your mind?")
Quote:

LOL. what makes you eccentric then?
:) I'm here on this forum, aren't I? :)

Frankly, I'm unusual by the standards of my age peers. Yeah, I fit in with "NASA people", "Internet tech ops", "medieval re-enactments (SCA)", "gamerz", and anime/manga folk - all considered eccentric by the mainstream. I'm a walking wiki of Monty Python, HHGTTG, and sci-fi movie quotes. My sons and I built a trebuchet on our property when they were teens. My office is full of anime figurines, manga, and anime amongst the programming, physics/math references, and engineering books. This is... unusual to say the least.
Frankly, I've always been way outside the "normal" spectrum and now even more so because its quite rare to find someone my age with that resume (even in the US).

My wife sounds more "normal" (pharmacist, knitter, etc) til you see what she knits. Among the usual blankets and stuff are baby hats that look like a large alien fish chomping on the baby's head; cthulhu plushies, "Whoville" baby hats, baby clothes with perky goth motifs, and recently she's been researching "Jane hats" (a hat worn by a character on the sci-fi series Firefly that his mother sent him). Her daily attire usually includes skull motifs, eyeball earrings, and other bits of gothy lolita she can get away with in the office.

Morisato 2011-09-04 20:45

I've seen it in real-life TV dramas... but I don't think it's possible for this personality to exist in real life.

Generally it goes that the male and female are at odds to each other and they eventually fall in love. At that point, they should lose the tsuntsun part (for the most part...).

Kaoru Chujo 2011-10-07 23:38

I think tsundere may be more an East Asian personality type. A Chinese relative of mine (who herself is both fey and tsundere) told her son that you know a girl likes you when she ignores you totally. He married a woman who is constantly sniping at him. They are deeply in love.

Vexx 2011-10-08 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo (Post 3797620)
I think tsundere may be more an East Asian personality type. A Chinese relative of mine (who herself is both fey and tsundere) told her son that you know a girl likes you when she ignores you totally. He married a woman who is constantly sniping at him. They are deeply in love.

It was a popular type in 50s/60s American romantic comedies and in Jerry Lewis's classic "root of all harem comedies" The Ladies Man (which even included the "strange gothy girl" character) released in 1961.

However, I've rarely seen it implemented in film in any pure sense since the late 60s. And yeah, I'll admit I've hardly ever really seen a non-asian example of a 'real life' tsundere.

HasuMasu 2011-10-08 22:29

^ I've seen a non-asian one before (okay, she was half-asian) and I have to admit it isn't the same, it's like the difference between Shana-like and Hitagi-like.

Kudryavka 2011-10-09 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3663029)
I thought about starting a new thread... but this will suffice. I have a relationship with a real life small loli-ish tsundere. She's uttered every one of these lines to me, several too many times to count:

Nonetheless, we've been married now for, um... 32 years this summer, clouds of lightning and skulls and all.
http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=39130 http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=39131 (1. sticking her tongue out, 2. cursing at her laptop)

Granted, most of the forum is pretty young... but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who is also attached to such a person.
http://forums.animesuki.com/album.ph...ictureid=39130 http://forums.animesuki.com/album.ph...ictureid=39131

Did you bear children for this woman? Are your children tsundere as well?

Again, tsunderes in real life are fucking bitches. Unless they have a lot of dere or some other personality traits to positively balance it (since real people have more than 2D).

Vexx 2011-10-10 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komari (Post 3799145)
Did you bear children for this woman? Are your children tsundere as well?

Again, tsunderes in real life are fucking bitches. Unless they have a lot of dere or some other personality traits to positively balance it (since real people have more than 2D).

I'm not sure how to respond to this one since:
1) I'm male. Females bear children. Why would my children be 'tsundere'? No sense being made.:confused:
2) Thanks for insulting my wife and calling her names? O.o' :eyebrow::mad:

Its called "tsundere" because there's "tsun" and there's "dere" ... you seem to be confusing it with "tsuntsun"?
Was your intent to piss me off?

Hooves 2011-10-10 20:28

I assume Komari is taking the fact that your wife is a tsundere. That it will pass on to your kids as well? The question confuses me as well..

Kudryavka 2011-10-10 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3801864)
I'm not sure how to respond to this one since:
1) I'm male. Females bear children. Why would my children be 'tsundere'? No sense being made.:confused:
2) Thanks for insulting my wife and calling her names? O.o' :eyebrow::mad:

Its called "tsundere" because there's "tsun" and there's "dere" ... you seem to be confusing it with "tsuntsun"?
Was your intent to piss me off?

I didn't mean to insult her, I was talking in general, mainly about the "tsundere" people I know. Sorry for that.

Vexx 2011-10-10 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komari (Post 3801891)
I didn't mean to insult her, I was talking in general, mainly about the "tsundere" people I know. Sorry for that.

Understood. That's why I was tentative, because the post was confusing enough that I thought it might have just been a grammar/composition ambiguity. The "f'ing bitches" you refer to in real life, I probably wouldn't characterize as 'tsundere'.

They *wouldn't* have any redeeming features or soft-sides. They'd be, at best, tsun-tsun but I'd class them as characters for which there aren't any ready names - tsundere are classically 'tsun' in reaction to emotions they're trying to deny or when they're feeling righteous about some possible 'wrong" (e.g. "I wasn't doing this to be nice!" or "How dare you see me naked!").

To me, at least, tsundere are "crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside" -- the fact they have redeeming 'secret sides' is what makes them interesting.

NoemiChan 2011-10-10 21:50

I can't say if they do really exist, we might misunderstood a person for being a tsundere because she acts negative about us then acts good in some instances.

They might not be in a good mood when you bumped unto them or they just hate you.

I got a staff mate who acts like a tsudere...... nah, she just probably hates me, but who cares, I don't hate her. It's her problem, wuhuhu!

Yolks 2011-10-10 23:16

I personally think tsunderes do exist out in ye yonder. I think the anime portrayal does sometime simplify it to an extent, but I think often times anime does misconstrue certain tsundere tendencies and ends up creating characters which seem unrealistic.

The amount of anime I have seen is relatively limited compared to a lot of the members on this forum so I might sound presumptuous. I think a lot of popular derisive tsunderes which tend to be "bitchy" have tsun and dere qualities but not tsundere qualities. Usually you end up with a schizophrenic bipolar character with a split personality on the side. The qualities are split like water and oil. And I think a lot of people that hate on those tsun/deres do so because of the fact that the characters seem two-faced rather than multi-faceted. And it is kind of annoying plot-wise, as often any progress with a tsun/dere in a relationship is reset if you get to the tsun side or it becomes easy cheese if you are on the dere side. So more or less you end up with having to deal with two different characters who can switch places on the fly. The only example I can think of at the moment would be Louise from The Familiar of Zero. In real life this would be completely unrealistic or at least suicidal if you had to deal with someone like that.

But! I do think tsunderes exist. I've met a few myself. They tend to abuse you just for kicks. The ones that like you though tend to be tsun because of an unwillingness to confront either their feelings or your own. Sometimes its out of shyness or in the case of Vexx's wife, a rough persona. Maintaining image seems to be important for a lot of tsunderes and a real life example would be guys that have a stoic, macho front. They never exactly want to express feeling and cover such feelings up with nonchalance. And tsunderes for girls might stem from vulnerability when it comes to trying to open up. So essentially the same aspect for girls and guys. Thing about these kinds of tsunderes is that most of the time they are tsun they also are dere. A lot of their rough actions have an underlying soft side. Vexx's wife would be a really good example of this.

In anime I think Taiga from Toradora is a good example of a realistic tsundere. Her tsun qualities stem from complexes/insecurites and although she is dere to Ryuji, she still maintains that spunk from her tsun side even to the very last episode. She never leaves being tsun for dere, because for her they are one in the same. Personally I guess I have a thing for tsunderes as characters, they just seem so fun and they always add a comic dimension to a lot of characters. I've liked Eri from School Rumble and Haruhi from the Suzumiya series. Those tend to be mainly for the comical aspect, but nonetheless likable for me at least. But if you want the BEST example of a tsundere that I've seen, in both realism and likability it would have to be Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate. For those that feel that tsunderes don't exist, after seeing Kurisu you might be more inclined to find that there are people like that. She is probably my favorite tsundere. Her tsun side is comical yet stems from a realistic cause, and her dere side just makes her tsun side seem all the more endearing. And anyone who has watched Hey Arnold!, Helga is the western equivalent to the tsundere.